I CANT PLAY JRPGs ANYMORE

Use to love them as a teen but i find all of them tedious and boring now. Especially since all genres have great graphics, music and stories now. Thats no longer unique to JRPGs

Attached: CC4EC59E-E5C8-4DDA-9C0F-96EA2FFC26F5.jpg (1280x720, 178K)

>60 hours in
>Chapter 6
>Just found out how to do Chain Attacks (Never used them after the tutorial because game was easy as it is.)
>Started 4 months ago.
Being a Wagie is suffering.

Attached: 130516626970.png (1000x1054, 1.17M)

I still like them, but I usually use EXP multiplication cheats on subsequent playthroughs, and do other stuff to cut down on grinding a bit. That's why I wish DQ XI was available in Japanese on PC. I prefer playing them in Nip and it my only option for playing it in Nip is PS4 and eventually Switch. I couldn't stomach Xenoblade 2 though, that game had too many flaws for me to tolerate.

Its cause good jrpgs dont come out anymore. I very much enjoyed xc2, hell even xcx and xc1, but Im replaying ffx for the first time in almost two decades and it is just a better game all around than any xenoblade game. Final fantasy x has an actually interesting world and story that makes you want to keep playing, while still having a very strong gameplay loop that doesnt overstay its welcome with the addition of minigames and excellent dialogue. Only good current jrpgs ive play have been bravely default (awful ending), xc2 (carried by waifus, I couldnt take it seriously) and persona 5 (which in all honesty overstayed its welcome with how long it was). They just dont make them like how they use to

Attached: 1548178171926.jpg (700x473, 46K)

my problem with JRPGs is that a lot of them start out slow as fuck
we're talking hours of tutorial tier early game shit
I get that some of these games are complicated but fuck can I get some action instead of a few lame fights and then an hour dicking around in town talking to NPCs?

You played good JRPGS and assumed you liked the genre until you played bad ones

JRPGs were great when we were young because they are so grindy, you felt like you got so much out of a game.

But in reality they are just artificially long. The content is not interesting, and you grind mindlessly. At least a game like XC2 had a lot of story and cutscenes to break the tedium, but the genre is not fun anymore as an adult.

Attached: 1317317791283.png (236x283, 32K)

Ys 8 says hi

I make use of cheats that make grinding go faster, but I still enjoy them. Sure, I enjoy ones I did as a kid, a lot of people would jump to say it's nostalgia, which it probably partly is (although some games I really enjoyed in the past I no longer enjoy), but I've also gotten into a lot of new ones within the last four years like Dragon Quest and SMT and I still enjoy them. Never liked grinding even when I was 13 though, so I guess not much has really changed.

>Final fantasy x has an actually interesting world and story that makes you want to keep playing,

I always kinda felt that FF X was mediocre. Yeah I played it back when it was new but even then then I always thought it was kinda "eh". I played it a few times anyway because that's what I did when I was young and had all the free time in the world and didn't have access to basically whatever game I wanted. But I replied it for the first time in a long time a year ago, and while I still like 90s FF more, I gained a greater appreciation of X. The world and story are nice, and the music is really good. I always liked the gameplay, that's still as good as ever. VA is a mixed bag as ever, even in Japanese. I played the whole game in Nip and the localization was pretty good, which was nice to see. FF IX's was mostly good, but a few scenes were re-written for no reason at all, but X's was the first real solid FF localization. VIII's was pretty good too, but had some missteps.

Jrpgs usually still have large expensive open worlds you explore with a party. Ill also say the average kept plot is usually more imaginative than most.

Attached: 1492458467969.gif (540x303, 627K)

My latest JRPG was XBC2, and I more or less just powered through the story. But then I found the combat to be somewhat boring unless you were in big boss fights, which you found mostly during the story.

Sometimes the game has to challenge you in a different way. I wanted to get through FF9 with a low level team and learned tricks to win with level 1 characters even late into the game. Maybe Try a run without a healer or something.

Yeah, that was my experience, getting bored with battles outside of boss battles. But I didn't make it past chapter 4, I just disliked too many things about the game.

>Especially since all genres have great graphics, music and stories now. Thats no longer unique to JRPGs

They still have unique gameplay for each new game. Unless you're playing something that's utter shite, every game changes the gameplay loop significantly with all sorts of mechanics you need to master to do well.
It leads to , but it's a much better problem to have than playing the same game a million times over, like in most other genres.

If you have to grind in a JRPG, you are just shit at the game and ignore its mechanics, mate.

JRPGs like a lot of Japanese media for kids/teens recycle the same ideas and tropes that are more interesting and striking the less you're exposed to them. By your 10th "kill god" plotline you realize it's not unique.

Xenoblade 2 is the last jrpg I'll play this gen. Terrible game.

There were many things to enjoy with the game however.

Attached: sample_b0b06217e5d370a98295994f685fd55a.jpg (850x565, 72K)

OP try Suikoden 2

The same could be said of all teen fiction.

>Jrpgs usually still have large expensive open worlds you explore with a party.
Barely any JRPGs have large expansive open worlds though, that's mostly Xenoblade's and only one of the games has a true open world.

Why is this JRPG generation so bad anyways? Literally only Rance x, Dragon quest 11 and Xenoblade 2 are worth playing

I used to play a ton of JRPGs back on PS1. Final Fantasy, Saga Frontier, Suikoden, Legend of Dragoon, and a lot more. I got pretty hyped for XB2, thanks to the constant Yea Forums threads, and it turned out it's a weak game with mmorpg style world and enemies, a gacha system for catching busty girls, and some of the most tedious fedex quests I've seen in a game to date. Bleak characters and boring story really didn't help it.
I have no hope for the FF7 remake either.

Attached: fial-fantasy-vii-remake.jpg (1000x565, 48K)

The only jrpgs that keep my attention anymore are kiseki and xeno games. kiseki because I feel like I have to see the story through since I invested 600 hours in it already, and xeno to get my gainax-worship fix

I've had the exact opposite happen to me; I used to enjoy lots of genres but now 90% of what I play are jrpg.

Octopath had one, it was mediocre in design but still laudable for not walling off everything with reefs and mountains like modern RPGs like to do.

FFX was great when I played it and shit on a replay, you have objectively bad taste if you think that FFX is anywhere near the quality of Xenoblade 2.

FFX is the proto-FFXIII and everything that went wrong thereafter. FFIX is the last good FF.