Besides Motion Blur what else is useless in video game settings?

Attached: 0e392e2f1e5ca9bcb176aeb5fb4a9110.jpg (1909x1042, 1.5M)

antialiasing

Probably depth of field

depth of field
if you have a 4k monitor, sure

Textures, resolution, framerates above 30.

Bloom, DoF, Chromatic Abberation

>SSAO

ohnonono
good goy

>chromatic aberration
Who even thought that this is something anyone wants to see? It's considered a flaw of a camera lens if it shows up in your photos, what dev thought we want to see it in our vidya?

Attached: 1550054577550.jpg (1024x1000, 190K)

do i just turn all these off then will my game run better? and do you all usually turn them off in every game you play?

Depth of Field is trash aswell. It makes no sense why video games should mimic a film camera.

>gave has v sync on by default
I played hours of Titanfall 2 before I realised, I could feel the difference straight away.

no one think it looks good but its hide how ugly console games look so its used a ton
same apply to motion blur and dof

Turn them all off. If you still have performance issues, it's usually shadows, lighting or water quality. As long as you have textures, AA and shaders on high, the game should look good.

They hide graphical shit and also mimic a camera, which is something a lot of devs who go for a cinematic game will want to use
Still disable it every time it's possible

runs better and makes the game look better
its a win win

i like bloom, DoF, motion blurs, TAA, etc.

what i really dont get is people who dont like some sort of ambient occlusion.

i dont have any issues i have a good PC i just always hear about some settings being useless in video games so i made this thread and i wanted to see what is usually best to disable.

No matter what always disable v sync, it causes massive input lag.

i recommend downloading Rivatuner and using a 60fps limit for perfect frame pacing, will make your games much smoother.

nope
screen tearing is worse

Motion Blur is good for 30 fps locked games.

For some slow as fuck games. You can't play shooters with vsync.

>TAA
The blur whenever you move triggers me. But I don't know what's worse, the blur or the shimmering when AA is off.

Is there any game where film grain, chromatic aberration, and scanlines actually add to the atmosphere instead of being used as makeup for shitty graphics?

Attached: 1514256971041.png (210x271, 25K)

i usually always disable v sync and motion blur cause i want over 60 fps i dont understand why some games are hard locked at 60

Chromatic Abberation can suck my dick. Almost ruined Dying Light for me. Thank fuck I found a patch to disable it

Attached: aicap2u3h[1].jpg (1843x797, 801K)

It looks good in some games. Alien Isolation is one, Observer probably too, maybe some others.

I like a little grain on L4D2, fits the atmostphere

sun rays
depth of field (why would you want 80% unsharp)
film grain (WHY?)
bloom (W.H.Y.?)

well that screenshot is from Alien: Isolation and it looks like ass. I haven't played it yet though, so can't speak form experience(waiting to grow additional balls so I can play it in VR)

It shows a portion of a screen to the side. The effect is stronger on the sides. It looks good in the game and fits the style.

I don't even know what screen tearing is so it can't be that bad.
V sync is only acceptable in turn based games.

DoF, chromatic aberration

agreed. TAA isnt the best but it provides to most stable image and a lot of games are built around it nowadays. RE2 just looks wrong with it disabled.
i guess. i have it disabled in siege, but you really need some sort of FPS limiter because; varying amounts of input lag makes aim worse, 100% GPU usage in menus, frame pacing, etc. plus it helps lower the input lag of vsync if configured correctly.
i dont get the hate for bloom. we're not in the early-360 era anymore.
moron

anisotropic filtering settings. it's so negligible in terms of performance these days I don't see any reason to have it below x16 at any times even on less powerful machines.

Attached: h2jlhfo1xal21.jpg (750x774, 121K)

they've got jack shit for performance impact, they just make it look worse
if your game is chugging it's usually shadow quality, soft shadows, reflections or the AA method. It's barely ever those crappy post-processing effects that just make the game uglier, since they're only in in the first place for costing fuckall processing power.

because bloom looks either like a piss filter or someone smeared WD 40 on your monitor

Attached: 2acc95c7f6cdfc7af285b1c747c52cfd_XL.jpg (1200x728, 615K)

Have you ever actually looked in the general direction of the sun though?

>triggered

>Affordable care act
>there are people who unironically think this was a good idea

left looks better, it actually looks like a sunrise, instead of just some white ball hanging in the sky

If you are playing at higher resolutions (1440p or higher) AA isn't worth the performance cost.

i find depth of field pretty nice in from's games

like if you take that away from new londo in das1 it destroys the atmosphere completely

It's unpleasant to look directly into the sun in real life too, user.

rockband 1

I liked the film grain in mass effect. Gave it a more campy scifi movie feel.

Can't wait for the next evolution in graphics where I can go blind if I stare at the sun for too long.

>anti poverty acts
>a good thing
FDR once criticized welfare as a narcotic and he wasn't wrong.

Elaborate on why it's inherently a bad idea without insults or name calling.

HDR already exists.

Depth of Field
Chromatic Aberration
Noise Filter (unless thematically justified)

FDR was a limp dick, family marrying faggot that couldn't even walk. Prove me wrong.

>have mother with bipolar schizoaffective disorder
>get excited about affordable insurance
>turns out affordable Obamacare doesn't cover her mental health
>premiums double in price later on
>forced to cancel because they were too expensive
>fees had to be paid in tax returns due to the retarded law
>fees had to be paid for 2018 too, so both parents received little to no tax return
>huge waste of money in the end
>this was supposed to help the less fortunate who couldn't afford health insurance
>mental health continues to be a problem in the USA due to high costs, and insurance companies not covering them

Attached: 1505298221006.png (481x481, 184K)

DOF looks like shit in sekiro, as in almost all console games

True dat. I got lost my job and didn't even consider doing COBRA or enrolling in another health insurance plan because I figured I'd get another job within a month. Well I got sick last year and decided to take a few months off of working to get better, ended up missing the enrollment period, so no insurance and really had to limit my visits to any doctor since it was all out of pocket. It wasn't anything life threatening, just QOL things, but it still is disgraceful that I couldn't actually afford to get the care I needed to get better faster and then get penalized for not having insurance the next year. Go fuck yourself, America. I'm not doing dick for this country other than the bare minimum that's required of me.

>I got lost my job
Apparently I also got mental retardation. Whoops.