What do you think about video game piracy?

What do you think about video game piracy?

Attached: 1426006318147.png (657x389, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

outline.com/W5vP5B
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/09/the-end-of-used-major-ruling-upholds-tough-software-licenses/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What do you think about video game piracy?
It started as a necessity but ended as a passion.

Piracy is a service problem. If you're not providing what what feel is value and a good service, people will pirate
>Epic starts buying timed exclusivity of games on PC
>Players are forced to use a worse client and potentially pay more for their games
>Everyone says they're going to pirate these games

The best way to avoid piracy is to not make yourself a target for piracy. Put out a good game for a reasonable price and don't include intrusive DRM like Denuvo.

>what what feel is value
what people feel is value*

Makes me wonder if it would be worth it to release a version of a game that has ads or a miner in it for free just to get some money out of people who would never pay for the game.

If the publishers weren't underhanded with their practices, you wouldn't see so many people pirating, and it still doesn't harm anyone in the long run.

>free with ads
isn't this like every mobile game

some indie devs have uploaded their games on torrent sites with some gamebreaking bugs later on

>ads
Fine
>miner
Bad idea. Puts you at risk of malware legal charges. Even if you put it in the EULA that you give permission to mine on their computers a EULA has never held up in court

I'll do it if I want to play a game I don't think deserves full price and if I like it I buy it on sale

Haven't done it in years but people should go for it. Games have only gotten more expensive and worse value.

Don't >inflation me either. PC games have gone up £20 in 10 years for the new RRP

There was also at least one dev who put a torrent of their full game up at release because they didn't want pirates to risk downloading malware. Think they even announced it before release or shortly after.

Piracy is bad since if you really want something you'll find a way to pay for it, but I do it anyway. Just don't pretend that it's something that makes you better than everyone else for doing

Darkwood, nice game

nothing wrong

Yeah but typically the difference between ad supported and paid version of a mobile game is more drastic, plus its skewed in favor of the free version with mobile while regular games might take a hit to sales because of the alternative of a free ad supported version.

I use it whenever a game comes out on the Epic store

Attached: piracy - easy life.jpg (1680x945, 296K)

The average person is an idiot when it comes to computer software/hardware.I have never been able to competently run a pirate game correctly and neither has anyone I know. But we all have to use origin, steam, epic, and ubisoft. Piracy is a waste of time and so is trying to stop piracy

i think that if you’re game is worth buying on release there is no issue with piracy

what

>Me and my friends are retarded
>That means everyone is
Are zoomers this technologically illiterate?

Always use a vpn?

Ice Pick Lodge did this and even had a Q&A in the torrent tracker thread.

>zoomer
you mean boomer, most young people are quite tech savvy

I pirate everything.

Developers should feel privileged that I spend my time on their games, a commodity far more precious and fleeting than money.

nothing wrong about downloading some shit be music, games or other media.

>you mean boomer, most young people are quite tech savvy
Wrongest post on Yea Forums.

Funny how well-designed games never seem to have any "problem" with piracy.
It's almost like focusing on making a game as good as possible helps you gain most sales.

Attached: look.jpg (716x545, 41K)

i fix pcs and 99% of the clients are old people

Nah, boomer here, i'm forever helping zoomers with shit as basic as pirating fucking roms and setting up emulators at work and was having a good laugh at faggot zoomers that were either too scared or flat our retarded to pirate Sekiro or literally didn't even know how to crack the fucking game, let alone block a program in their firewall.

Zoomers who grew up with phones and apps and have never had to configure a a sound card in dos, or spend 50 hours modding a game manually, or hexedit a crack really have no fucking idea as to what they're doing with even the most basic of software or hardware.

A small percentage are savvy, the vast majority are drooling fucktards the likes of which the planet has never seen before.

I haven't spent money on movies/TV shows in 11 years (saw a movie with a friend then)
I haven't spent money on music in ~14 years
I haven't spent money on books in 7 years
Games I buy though if I feel they're worth it.

>Even if you put it in the EULA that you give permission to mine on their computers a EULA has never held up in court
Which would be a problem if bitcoin mining was illegal. But look at stuff like SETI @ Home, lending your idle CPU cycles to something else is not unheard of.

Too bad mining bitcoins isn't so effective that doing it with a little of idle CPU power would actually cover the cost of a game.

>80$ for a new game up here in syrupland
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

>Clicking a button
>Copying some files
>Tech savvy

I think
outline.com/W5vP5B
It's bullshit

Attached: attention.jpg (400x433, 27K)

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/09/the-end-of-used-major-ruling-upholds-tough-software-licenses/

Based retard

Piracy is necessary for the preservation of media across all formats, not just video games. We can't solely rely on the creators and rights holders to survive forever to ensure a specific piece of media does not become lost to time as the times change.

As physical media becomes a relic of the past and all entertainment industries are slowly moving away from a product model and more towards a subscription model with licenses for media constantly changing platforms or falling out of availability for whatever reason. Piracy is a necessity.

I´m brazilian

i pirate what i want to no one can stop me

faggots

Attached: Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif (380x240, 14K)

imagine having moral qualms about media sharing?

Attached: 1552759891622.png (453x508, 110K)

>lives in the third world
>wastes his time on frivolous pursuits like vidya instead of getting himself out of the third world
Pottery.

I pirate any game I'm considering purchasing to try it out. If I like it I buy it, if it's shit I delete it and never look back.

Based. EE here, westerners can fuck off.

Attached: dab1.jpg (240x240, 9K)

bullshit. downlaoding an app and clicking accept on the eula is not being tech savvy

Good for me but only idiots try to get everyone to pirate

Third world is a goldmine to those who are not chained to superficial concepts such as morality and ethics.

Also Big butts.

Attached: 1525461848457.jpg (460x468, 20K)

>boomer here
so you're 60+ years old?
>Zoomers who grew up with phones and apps
that's the newest generation, it doesn't even include 22-23 year olds.

First day on Yea Forums?
Enjoy your stay, feel free to ask questions and by all means don't be afraid to out yourself as a newfag.

Free. Videogames.

If you want to play it and you can afford it, pay for it.

Only a literal retard (ergo poorfags) pay for things they can get for free.

Why would you not pirate? You can literally get any game you want for free. Not pirating is actually the worse thing to do.

Immoral as fuck.

Eastern Europe is the only Europe left.

Attached: 1536420747312-1.jpg (408x408, 11K)

I've been downloading, deleting, and re-downloading EA games pretty consistently but they're still in business. I'm starting to doubt that 1 pirated game is 1 lost sale but I won't give up just yet.

I pirate because despite not living in a rural area the only high speed service i can get is a fixed wireless plan, which although i get unlimited streaming and get around 60ms latency in most games, has a data cap for downloads.

I pirate by downloading at my parents house, where they get gigabit fiber despite being only a mile and a half from my house. If I could download the install files from steam on my phone and move them to my PC I would but the easiest thing for me to do is pirate.

Free games.

Didn't Hotline Miami have this? Or was it just the official patch he put up for download?

It's okay.
Pirate everything, then give money to devs whose games you liked.

Attached: TPB_lives_forever.png (566x469, 100K)

>get a bus/taxi ride, then decide if i want to pay for it
>geat a meal for free, then decide if i want to pay for it
>go watch a movie, then decide if i want to pay for it
>have a medical procedure, then decide if i want to pay for it
>read a book for free, then decide if i want to pay for it
>get a car for free, then decide if i want to pay for it

Attached: 1459360498320.jpg (240x240, 10K)

>have a medical procedure, then decide if i want to pay for it

Illegal spics and niggers do this constantly, do you think you're better than them?

>read a book for free, then decide if i want to pay for it

Literally go to the library

> devs

All devs are cucks, fuck them.

Attached: theliar.jpg (780x439, 40K)

>use driver's time while they drive you around, game dev's time is not wasted while you pirate
>ingredients and time is wasted preparing your food, nothing is wasted when you pirate
>same for medical
>finite cars, infinite pirated copies that don't take from the legal games

these are terrible analogies

once you can free copy of those by pressing F5, we can talk

Piracy would probably be less of an issue if demos of games were actually offered. I can't tell you how many games I've bought and played for 1 hour and just quit because the controls sucked or something.

Not to mention that so many games these days have a stupid agenda that not everyone agrees with.

I pirate any game that's censored or Epic exclusive. I preorder/day 1 buy any game that's not censored or Epic exclusive. So it IS a lost sale.

>go watch a movie, then decide if i want to pay for it
>get someone's painting, then decide if i want to pay for it
>watch a series online, then decide if i want to pay for it
>listen to music, then decide if i want to pay for it
>get a degree, then decide if i want to pay for it
>download and read a book, then decide if i want to pay for it
Pull all the mental gymnastics you want, someone made something for a profit, you got it for free and he didn't get rewarded for it. It might not be crime or count as stealing but they still didn't get the reward they deserve for their work and lost a potential profit. Only a socipath or someone who never worked for something in their life would not understand the lack of morality in pirating a product.

Attached: 1514313700906.png (1304x3440, 300K)

I only pirate VNs and even then I sometimes buy them (original Japanese version, those are expensive) if I like the work and want to support the dev. Recently also pirated metro after already having it legit to avoid installing the epic store.