Let's have a 2D Mario thread

Let's have a 2D Mario thread.

Attached: 2D Mario.png (731x504, 252K)

Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best one
/thread

Elaborate. My favorite is Super Mario World.

I honestly liked Super Paper Mario. I know a lot of people hated it for changing the combat system. I like TTYD as well though, but for some reason liked SMP more.

I've never beaten Super Mario Bros despite many attempts.

SPM was a great game when you stop being a cry baby and accept it as a 2D Mario with a great story

3d mario is better in everyway and odyssey is the best of all time literally if you disagree
>OLD GAME GOOD NEW GAME BAD
mario has always been a series that has gotten better with new installments, so take off your rose tinted glasses

Yeah, basically. I really liked all the different worlds and original story.

This. I never tried to use the warp pipes though, so that might be why.

I've never been a fan of 3D Mario. Even as a kid when 64 came out, it only looked "ok." But I remember being disappointed that it wasn't 2D.

Sit down peasants.

Attached: 1539519230489.png (253x419, 32K)

I agree that 3D Mario is better, but that doesn't make 2D Mario automatically bad.

I'd love to see more Mario games done in SPM's style, as in a 2D platformer with RPG elements. It doesn't even have to be related to Paper Mario, it could be "mainline Mario" themed and replace NSMB for all I care.

well its time to gett in the coffiN GRANDPA

2d mario has bad game design and its artificial difficulty for its slippery controls

I like RPGs so that really drew me into the game. They definitely should do some more Marios like that. I think NSMB is pretty decent though.

>455539207

Attached: nope.jpg (613x531, 48K)

Obligatory Soul/Soulless post.

Unironically, the one on the left looks like shit.

I didn't hate it, but I started finding it tedious after a few chapters. I've never felt like going back to it.

???

Red overalls > Blue overalls

GAME OF THE YEAR, BAYBEE

Super Mario Advance is still my favorite game ever.
I'm really happy people consider it a real Mario game nowadays, because it's still my favorite
Two things can be good. You can like two things at once.

Attached: super-mario-advance.jpg (640x638, 100K)

lost levels is the ultimate contrarian master race

None of them are really that good, honestly. I rarely think about replaying any of them.

>Super Mario Advance is still my favorite game ever
That's kind of cheating. It's really just a bunch of older games packed together and given updated graphics.

>has so little initiative he judges games by how much he thinks about replaying them

Attached: 1550115207762.jpg (253x238, 24K)

The old color scheme was way better.

Attached: 96967976967 (2).png (150x212, 2K)

Super Mario 64 and Sunshine are the two greatest 3D platformers ever made. Watching gameplay of Odyssey it just doesn't look that appealing. It looks as if the game is almost too open and with the amount of moons there are it diminishes what meaning they have in collecting them.
Also, SMB3 is easily on par with 3D Mario.

red overalls>blue overalls

Bowser is awesome.

when is Nintendo going to announce Super Mario Bros. 4?

Attached: 243.png (500x500, 220K)

Hand off 2D Mario to fans like Sonic Mania

Attached: Dla8rrOW4AATcnB.jpg (1200x675, 147K)

Odyssey is one of those games that you view more negatively with time. There's not enough challenge in getting all 880 moons that I would ever think about replaying it.

The only good NSMB was the first DS and first wii one. Why cant we get a good new 2d mario with a unique style? is that only mm now?

Nintendo can do that themselves, it would actually be the opposite of Mania if fans got involved.

>Nintendo can do that themselves

No, their recent mario games are soulless. Fuck all these floating blocks suspended in a void level design

I like the levels of 3 more, the raccoon and tanooki suits are better than the cape.
I like World too though

But that just shows that the gameplay is the core focus

>turn mario into DKC
Why do people want this?

>mario needs more realism

Of course NSMB is soulless. I'd expect a new 2D Mario not to take cues from it.

Do you just not like platformers?

SMB3 is also my favorite. I've been playing the game my entire life and still find new secrets to this day. What are your guys' favorite hacks?

never

Attached: sadbro .png (500x500, 214K)

>first wii one
the one with a dedicated bubble button that acted as a suicide button in single player and was easy to accidentally hit?

I still question my impressions of it. Mario games aren't necessarily known for being particularly challenging, and you could argue that previous 3D Marios also had stars/shines that you could get for doing basically nothing.
Obviously the only way to find out is to play it, but it doesn't look like it's worth $60.

Nintendo should just make a hand drawn 2D Mario game.

Attached: e6a12962061c9d196e43dab944408587.png (817x1472, 1.98M)

If you consider older Mario games full of soul, then well guess what buddy?
They had floating blocks suspended.
It's always been that way from the get go and ever since.

God I just want something unique. If you look at the original Mario games, 1, 2, and 3 while on the same system looked and played pretty differently. The jump to SNES brought new things with better hardware. All the new games look exactly the same. The exact same artstyle, core mechanics, and mostly the same powerups. The first NSMB was a new and different but now it's been the same exact thing over 4 increasingly powerful consoles. When did those Japs get so lazy?

It seems like a no-brainer.
>do it with Kirby
>do it with Yoshi
>however many Paper Mario games and misc spinoffs
Why not do a mainline game?

If they expanded on the NSMB formula it could be really cool. Just get a new art style which can still be vaguely connected to NSMB but still feels fresh, and expand upon the idea of branching worlds. Instead of having just a pure jungle world, have it branch off at the start, so you can do levels based around poisonous waters and snakes and shit, and the other branch being based off of an aztec temple with traps and shit

>what is smw2
Though it's arguably not a mario game

>a new art style
How would you feel about a return to the 8 or 16 bit look like megaman 9 and 10

Meh. Mario Maker already has a lot of nostalgia pandering, I'd rather see a new evolution of the art style like pic related

Attached: paint level.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

Why did they even change it? Seems weird to make such a minor color swap.

Are you kidding? That's a really good metric.

>hard to see where Mario is
Objectively not good

I don't really think the retro gimmick would benefit Mario as much as it did Sonic and Mega Man. Mostly because the NSMB games are all pretty damn good. What makes them feel worse is that they all reuse the same general genero-3D assets. If each game had it's own unique look like Nintendo used to do back in the day then it'd be great. They don't have to look retro, just unique enough amongst themselves.

Why did they change Mario from having a Brooklyn accent to stereotypical Italian gibberish

Attached: X1kbNjk.jpg (1000x600, 108K)

I don't think Nintendo of Japan ever fully accepted the American characterization. The two sides weren't as openly antagonistic with each other as Sega was with Sonic though so we were spared the chaos of that franchise, at least.

Where would left Mario's penis be?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 1.41.21 AM.png (340x334, 184K)

To be fair, blue overalls are a lot more common than red ones

Are you saying that isn't it?

Attached: mamamia.png (248x242, 111K)

They only know repetition and it's taboo to question old ideas

Probably because of the palette limitations on the NES. An NES sprite can only have 4 colors so when they started using an outline for the sprites in Mario 2 they couldn't just add another color for that one purpose. Having the outline be the same color as the overalls was an elegant solution but for that to work the overalls couldn't stay red.

Attached: evolution-of-mario-10172008.gif (453x125, 18K)

At least 3D Mario is still creative.

Also:

2D Yoshi: Yarn/Hand Craft art styles.

2D Kirby: Yarn Art style.

2D Wario: Hand drawn art style.

2D Mario: Shitty generic copy-paste wii assets.

non-autsitic people don't replay games. there are literally infinite games to play I cannot stomach replaying something I've already done

It could be but then where's his other leg

I've accepted that I'm approaching old age because I'd actually rather replay my SNES favorites than whatever new shit is coming on Switch.