Why is every arena shooter that isn't Halo so boring?

Why is every arena shooter that isn't Halo so boring?

Attached: 258994-20992929_full.jpg (1920x1080, 309K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uXcWxw7UHME
youtube.com/watch?v=dgOfkfARt7s
youtube.com/watch?v=Gr5Dnk4Rd3k
youtube.com/watch?v=5c9X8TIZWpg
youtube.com/watch?v=xFPg8jC3eEQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The other games aren't your type
Halo has more verticality and is based on power-weapons and has more of a sense of verticality than other arena shooters (hence the off-center crosshairs) and has more of a focus on maintaining balance with regular weapons
or you're baiting.

Other games are designed for crack addicted monster energy drink slurping beef jerkey eating neckbears. Halo was made for the common people that play games for fun and support good developers.

Beef jerky is healthy. They eat hot pockets and ramen not jerky.

Nice, 343.

Now get the fuck off this board.

Attached: 1360616113787.jpg (264x282, 10K)

>hot pockets and ramen
What the fuck is wrong with that?

Other arena shooters are pretty simple and barebones

Halo you can do more fun shit like racing in warthogs or playing infection mode

Halo is like playing an open world game where anything goes. Halo is the game that every game developer wants to make but they can't because greedy publishers and middle men throw a wrench in things.

did you even play UT? more people were playing the custom shit than the comp modes, big head 4x speed instagib for life

You have to actually think instead of bounce around maps at 90mph and click on people once with a railgun.

how can you say that when the BR and sniper rifles exist?

Do people really think Halo is an arena shooter?

Because Halo still isn't 90mph

Both of those are power weapons. You need to control the map for them. Quake weapons respawn seconds after they're picked up, so everyone effectively gets a railgun.

Sniper rifle's not perfectly consistent and BR still needs 3 shots to the head

fpbp

>Halo has more verticality
lol

The only things it lacks is speed and weapon inventory beyond 2 slots. Besides that it’s literaly an arena shooter. It’s just a slower arena shooter made for consoles

These games can't come on steam fast enough

>Sniper rifle's not perfectly consistent and BR still needs 3 shots to the head
wut? the sniper rifle needs only 2 bodyshots which can be fired off in quick succession for a kill and a single bullet from the BR to the head kills in every halo game besides the original

Its closer to an arena shooter than anything else that isnt UT, Quake or something that is very obviously ripping off UT or Quake. Hell UT ended up ripping off Halo so that sounds like an endorsement to me

Halo is just Counter Strike where you can move and shoot at the same time, armor blocks 100% of all damage, and weapons spawn on the map.

If you're landing a shot to the head the BR requires four shots landed unless you're playing SWAT, so you need a two burst minimum.

>Halo is just Counter-Strike but radically different in game-play and with an entirely different map design philosophy

Attached: 1547255561198.png (273x375, 9K)

The BR will kill with a single bullet to the head on anyone without a shield.

fapbap

>Halo is just like Quake but radically different in gameplay and with an entirely different map design philosophy
Counter Strike is slow, has a weapon limit, and has headshot damage. The only thing Halo has in common with Quake is that you pick up guns from the map.

>The only things it lacks is speed and weapon inventory beyond 2 slots. Besides that it’s literaly an arena shooter.
So the only thing it lacks are...fundamental aspects of arena shooters? How does that help your argument that it's an arena shooter?

Attached: 1552511682265.jpg (645x729, 81K)

>without a shield
you still need to shoot them to take off the shield user.

I'd argue both having high TTK and a lot of verticality and their level design are similarities. Otherwise I agree though.

>MCC will without a doubt become one of the permenant fixture games of the Steam top selling
>The Halo 3/Reach golden age will live on forever
>This time with mods

Attached: IMG_7149.jpg (480x544, 26K)

>Why is every arena shooter that isn't Halo so boring?

What universe do you live in?

Movement in Halo games is slow as molasses, weapon diversity and control is extremely narrow, rocket splash is so huge you only need to lead on vehicles, and the crosshair magnetism is way too heavy-handed and not in-line with advances in manual gamepad aiming since 2001. Things like the BR and removal of health packs took the game backwards after CE, and yet the fans still argue for a Halo 3 clone.

The thing is, Halo isn't just slow compared to arena FPS; it's slow compared to other console shooters. Everything from the movement speeds, to the physics, to the ultra-heavy crosshair magnetism, is all a relic of a by-gone era where no one knew how to make FPS control smoothly on gamepads. By the 360 era, things improved enough to support the much faster gameplay of later COD games, BF series, UT3, even some Quake 4 console tournaments in France, etc.

So yeah, you can call Halo whatever you want, whether it's "tactical arena FPS" or whatever, but it's really its own thing which bears limited appeal either to PC arena FPS players or even people used to the later console military shooters.

Attached: 1552731427354.jpg (625x626, 31K)

Halo's average TTK is much faster than Quake. Not many encounters in Halo end with one party being able to retreat.

you cant headshot someone through shields unless you have a sniper rifle so its redundant to mention

Seriously though guys name one single arena shooter released this gen that's better. No, Titanfall only has an nth of the content

Halo5 is fast as fuck though

You can in every game before Reach. As long as your bullet deals at least 1 more damage than they have shields, it will kill.

>Halo5 is fast as fuck though

>he fell for the 'advancement movement' meme

Attached: Halo sprint.webm (1280x720, 2.44M)

>Both of those are power weapons
>Majority of all the modes in H3 have BR starts
lol

Salt

why did u say the same thing twice
weird ass nigga

most shooters in general are so boring because they're not modded
game developers pretty much had a role to stay within, and that was make 80-90% of the game, with the players making the last 10% their own.
Q3 got CPMA as a base, with literally every shooter ever after being the most advanced mods
UT was more a tech demo for standalone mods
CS got zombies and surf for example, even fucking Left4Dead technically
Releasing an arena shooter is just the start of having a fun game.

Attached: 1552433774086.jpg (550x606, 46K)

>You can get someone in one shot with this gun
>No you can't
>Well you can't do it with the other guns so that's redundant

Those fast pace arena shooters were a product of their time and I say that not to take anything away from them. I say that more in that the fanbase for those type of games just isn't there today like it once was. Also I think those shooters pretty much were already perfected with Quake and Unreal Tournament. There really isn't anything more you could do with that formula to mix it up. A lot of shooters today might be similar as well to one another but at least people can appreciate the subtle differences between games way more. With classic type of arena shooters I don't think people would have been appreciating that much. The genre even got built on complete fluke accidents like rocket jumping. Something not as true with shooters today if at all.

I completely agree with you. Halo is the only one I care about and that is only if its like the classic Halo games. Not like 4 or 5. I liked Halo most when it was extremely simple. Just jumping, melee, nades and shooting for the most part. No sprint or any abilities.

>343
Bungie made the good Halos you invalid

Because you are shit at videogames.
Play Quake or UT.

I'll agree Bungie made the better Halos but Halo 5 multiplayer is unironically pretty good

>never played an FPS and doesn't know map control and timing
Yea Forums is underage. No wonder they get so easily shilled by Epic Chinks.

>Arena Shooter
>Halo

Lol

I have and didn't like either.

He's not wrong.

It does.

Maybe in CE, but verticality has been gutted in every game since, opting for 2 or 3-tier maps instead with only catwalks for height variation.

I'm writing a post on Yea Forums not a review or editorial.

Wow...

>Halo has more verticality
how fucking stupid are you? do you even know what an arena shooter is?

Quake, Unreal, Halo, etc.
Halo handles verticality much better than most others and has a strong focus on it.

youtube.com/watch?v=uXcWxw7UHME

Attached: 1552436244232.jpg (1280x1063, 92K)

>Halo handles verticality much better than most others and has a strong focus on it.

Attached: file.jpg (1280x800, 723K)

>Nitpicking a map that is known for the no-mans land outside of the bases, cliffs, and caves
>Nitpicking a vehicle based map

Then you are a casual shit

>One map from the first game that plays differently from most that is vehicle-based and known for the large mid-section

>n-no that doesn't count!

Attached: file.jpg (1920x1080, 558K)

Halo hasn't been an arena shooter since Halo 3. But also UT is fucking based, too bad fortnite killed it

The map is clearly made with the same design philosophy of Blood Gulch with the open mid-section, but there's actually some decent verticality in this map and it's great for competitive play.

actual braindead

>some decent verticality
There are 2 levels directly on top of one another, with barely any interaction between them. It's functionally flat.
Just as Sanctuary is, where the only height variation is a set of walkways. Neither of these maps are comparable to Aerowalk.

Attached: file.jpg (1920x1080, 1.28M)

Halo 5 is an enjoyable game but Christ dude it is not fast.

Okay friend

Attached: Prisoner.jpg (1280x800, 72K)

>The rocky area
>The upper areas on the sides
>Gravity lift
There's a ton of areas you can get good elevation on your enemies if you're actually good at the game and playing to its strengths.

I'll concede that CE generally has better map design than the later games, but the multiplayer designer for that game left when Halo 2 was still in development, and I guess he took all of the Quake design philosophy with him.

There's one sniper perch on Guardian, and the tree trunk that is essentially a ramp. It has no more verticality than the average Call of Duty map.

Because they're not Halo, there's a reason I only play Halo over other FPSs they just don't give me that same feel plus playing it on an Xbox with an Xbox controller just feels right to me.

CoD maps only ever have two levels that are open to one-another with a simple climb, if you're lucky there's an area to overlook half the map.
Guardian's got a bunch of ways to get even a slight elevation on the enemy as well as multiple areas overlooking the entire map

>CoD maps only ever have two levels that are open to one-another with a simple climb, if you're lucky there's an area to overlook half the map.
Same with Guardian, except there's a bottom floor with almost no interaction with the top level.
Compare this to any Quake level.

Attached: file.jpg (640x480, 46K)

No, it wasn't.

Fuck off, it shouldn't have been a Halo game definitely, but it's an enjoyable, if flawed shooter in it's own right.

>ODST and Reach
>good

I dont know anything about Halo 5 but if is manages to be even fucking slower than Halo 3 like the webm ITT claims then it cant be anything but trash

>almost no interaction with the top level
You can access the bottom portion and overlook every corridor from the top, as well as chuck 'nades in the one room in the center, part of the map is making sure anyone in the bottom is pinned down from both ends.

Yes. Your point?

>if is manages to be even fucking slower than Halo 3 like the webm
The one comparing the time it takes to get between two different distances?

In order to fight people at the bottom, you need to drop down yourself.

>I never played it but it's gotta be shit
user, come on.

>Halo
>arena shooter

Attached: ranger bigthink.jpg (180x180, 6K)

>quake
>not dead

Attached: 1533267027835.png (504x725, 540K)

Neither were good, that's my point, if you're going to talk about the good Halo games, talk about the actual good Halo games when Bungie gave a shit, that's Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, and Halo 3. ODST and Reach felt like contract games.

>what are explosives
>what is the brute shot

*wheeze* ikr haha...

Attached: 1482508717477.jpg (500x259, 13K)

>ODST and Reach
>Not good
You smell like a faggot.

>dude halo is exactly as vertical as quake, even moreso in fact!
>you just need to throw grenades at drop-downs and hope they hit something

You smell like a bitch, see .

Halo is like goldeneye 64 but in 2000 something. i'll never understand why people like halo that much but that doesn't matter. have fun. peace out bros.

halo 5 has literally the most verticallity in any halo
not to say say halo 5 is a good game

>halo has more of a sense of verticality
what the fuck?

>halo 5 has literally the most verticallity in any halo
It really doesn't.

See you in Reach :)

Halo is based on verticality in many aspects, it's also very aggressive This is where Guardian has its strengths, it encourages aggressive plays with those closed sections so that you either smoke out and take them from above as they flood out or rush in head-on, both being viable strategies.

ODST and Reach had amazing stories and Reach was able to stand out and be different from the rest of the series while also having solid multiplayer.

>it encourages aggressive plays
No it doesn't. Every Lockout-like map rewards and encourages setting up at one of the towers because everything in between is a no-mans land.
There's a reason Lockout and Guardian only play Ball in competitive.

halo is the worst stodgy shit though and combat design/mechanics are so dumbed down
It's not even comparable to proper fps

This is either extreme bait or god tier retartdation
HEY DUMBFUCK TAKE MORE THAN 2 FUCKING SECONDS AND YOU CAN SEE THEY MADE THE HALLWAYS AND ROOMS LARGER TO COMPENSATE FOR YOUR INCREASED SPEED
how much of a dense fucking dumbass can you be
btw, 3 is best, suck a dick

I love Halo, but I don't know if I'd be comparing it to Quake and UT. Halo is its own thing. A slow, casual party game that's easy to pick up.

Also playing competitive Halo is like racing Geo Metros.

It honestly boils down to bigger maps + overall slower movement overall to allow the sprint to not be too fast.

i really tried to play halo 1 but it's just not good in my opinion.. but if you like those then have fun!

>ODST and Reach had amazing stories
Nice joke
>Reach was able to stand out and be different from the rest of the series
That's why it sucked, people didn't want different, people wanted Halo.

>halo has a lot of verticality
holy shit how are halofags still THIS delusional almost 20 years later? Halo is one step above CoD in terms of verticality and one step down in terms of speed. I don't have to go back to the classics, even nu-Quake is enough to show how wrong you are. Take a look at any portion of this video youtube.com/watch?v=dgOfkfARt7s

Attached: cory.jpg (547x692, 75K)

The original intention of the video was explaining that sprint doesn't make the game faster because they're also increasing map size to compensate. You can press a button to run faster, but you're still getting to places in the same amount of time.
Of course, the retards here don't understand context and think it means that Halo 5's movement is slower.

This

There's so many points you can be taken out from those nests at any time that it is useless a lot of the time, you can see that movement on Guardian is useful in a lot of older MLG matches.

i thought about this today

youtube.com/watch?v=Gr5Dnk4Rd3k

They did this shit with Halo 4 as well even though that game did the same thing. ODST and Reach were the only Halo games to slow the player's movement which was retarded.

>That's why it sucked
Reach had the best custom games and gametypes of the entire series

You're gonna need bigger bait, bud

>you can see that movement on Guardian is useful in a lot of older MLG matches.
It's literally not unless there is an objective forcing you to move. There is no safe way to approach on any of those maps, and you just get lit up the instant you try.

Every Halo slowed movement and made strafing less effective.

>Reach had the best custom games and gametypes of the entire series
That's Halo 3, Reach didn't really do jackshit to be remembered by.

You're comparing map design for two completely different styles of gameplay. Quake-style maps with Halo's gameplay would be actually cancer.

In the bad Halos, they would be.
youtube.com/watch?v=5c9X8TIZWpg

how does that change the argument of verticality? Halo "verticality" is one horizontal flat plane (MAYBE 2) above another horizontal flat plane. The maps with only 1 floor have small hills at best. Halo isn't vertical at all

But you're moving across the map slower.

>Nice joke
nice argument.
>That's why it sucked
Trying something different is typically considered a good thing, and Reach did what it tried to change really well. It managed to distance itself from the rest of the series while fitting in with the overall feeling of Reach's storyline itself and keeping the overall Halo feel.

>can never go back to 2008
>a nice long weekend playing matchmaking with your xbox friends
hold me guys.

Attached: 1539142581247.jpg (1010x897, 68K)

Sprint and clamber slow the game down, so no.

Nobody straight-up sprints in Halo 5, they thrust slide everywhere.

Reach didn't feel like Halo at all, it distanced itself to the point of being forgettable.

>The bad Halos
every Halo is slightly different in some way, that's what makes the series great, plus if you were to ask most people Halo 1 doesn't stand atop the other Bungie entries.

If you ask most people, they don't even know how to play CE. That doesn't make them correct.
Quake design principles can work in CE because of its gameplay, but suck ass in later games.

As a prequel Reach was great, it had good callbacks to Halo 1 while also keeping the things that were added later into the series as well as some stuff of its own.

>If you ask most people, they don't even know how to play CE
Almost everyone who's into the series has played CE, user.

Reach was a terrible prequel and a spit in the face to Halo 1.

>the only things it lacks are the defining characteristics of an arena shooter

Because the games manage to keep a really good sense of verticality while also playing differently from its competitors.

Playing the game at a friend's house and knowing how to play it properly are two entirely different things. The average Halo fan doesn't know how the spawn system or shot leading works.

I don't see how, exchanges in halo are largely leveled on the same plane

Yes, and most people don't play games competitively, most people don't know the different play-styles of TF2 or how leveling in Dark Souls
work. that doesn't make their playstyles irrelevant.

How the fuck is halo an arena shooter

It does when you're discussing what makes Quake designs work in CE versus any later game in the series. We've had Forge in more games than we haven't, so it isn't from a lack of trying.

At a starter level sure, but on maps like High Ground, Sand Trap, Epitaph or Last Resort sticking to one level is a surefire way of being completely blasted away quickly.

those maps fit the mold of and arn't representative of the majority of maps

Sand Trap is largely flat.

Sandtrap is literally built to have vehicles covering the lower layer and all the upper levels being traversed in-between to ensure that you're fighting for control of the top

The entire playspace is one plane except for the middle trench and a couple of catwalks.

Attached: file.jpg (1536x1152, 177K)

WHAT HE MEANS IS BLOOD GULCH HAS A CLIFF THATS HIGHER THAN THE OTHER PART OF THE LEVEL THAT HE CAN SNIPE SO MANY NOOBS FROM

>arn't representative of the majority of maps
Those maps I described are representative of most of the stock Halo 3 maps and over half of the maps when including DLC.

The way Sandtrap works is that it's a fight to keep the top so that you can have an eye on everyone else, you're traversing between layers and keeping an eye on the lower no-man's-land, and can be attacked from above or below at any time.

>ou're traversing between layers
No, you're walking up a hill.

I want mid-late 90's style arena shooters back.
We almost got Tribes Ascend, but it broke apart with terrible updates and fell through our fingers

Attached: You can't comfort me now.gif (200x150, 2.48M)

Most of the time you're jumping up and down using the portable gravity lifts to get a jump on any unsuspecting enemies above you or going above enemies on the same level as you to get an advantage over them.
Lower levels tend to be controlled by the vehicles ready to tokyo drift around the corner at any time and run you over/gun you down

Did we play the same map? There aren't really any "lower" levels, there's just a big open field.

The pyramids all have caves with holes you can jump in and out of at any given time and act as a mid-level to separate the ground from the top.
You sure you aren't thinking of sandbox?

So you can hide in a hole. That doesn't really scream "vertical" to me.

The holes aren't meant to hide in user they allow you to move about and pop out with a gravity lift to allow you to get above the enemy on the higher level for an encounter.

You're not even going to have a gravity lift the majority of the time.

I love the architecture in arena shooter maps something about the use of vertical space makes the levels look so inviting.

The gravity lifts spawn in under a minute and last a long time unless shot and destroyed, which should only really be done when absolutely needed.

And there are 15 other people in the game with you.

>hot pockets
high carbs and fat

>ramen
pure carbs, and shit-tier carbs at that

>Big team battle
actually gross.

Low as fuck calories though, perfect if you only eat once a day like I do.

Yes it is, fastest arena shooter of the gen

We were talking about Sandtrap, you double nigger.

youtube.com/watch?v=xFPg8jC3eEQ

Because you are a filthy casual.

But user, this proves my point about Reach.

It's not a secret that the movement in Reach was changed to compensate for abilities user.

I think this is the only big team map I like. Avalanche and Valhalla are gay. ESPECIALLY Avalanche.

>Why am I casual

Halo 3 multiplayer was near fucking perfect. It just needed the following:

>better gun balance so that duel wielding isn't complete ass
>a more accurate BR
>not so zoomed in fov
>a better netcode for online
>no shield doors for maps, maybe just one map could have it but it has to be built well with it in mind
>all the best maps from H2 return
>improve snowbound map design, give it bigger underground area and make the bases themselves better, make the map bigger overall
>more sandbox type maps to forge with, more objects and stuff to also forge with

Put so many hours into Halo 3. Best mp game ever made.

>>a more accurate BR
uwot

>Movement in Halo games is slow as molasses

Kind of the point. They were never meant to be fast like arena shooters. This made the team based gametypes even better since it made players have to work together a lot more if they were to win due to the slower movement. You had to play the game more tactically. It offered a different type of map control compared to arena shooters of the past where you are constantly moving super fast.

>You had to play the game more tactically

Attached: 1431214472221.jpg (559x556, 17K)

as opposed to beef jerky?

Look up videos for Halo 3's BR and you'll see.

Explain incel