FF newfag here, i got a question: XV as a game looks perfectly decent to me...

FF newfag here, i got a question: XV as a game looks perfectly decent to me, yet i constantly hear from you guys that it sucks and that it looked way better back when it was Versus XIII even though i'm not even sure we saw any gameplay from that version of the "game".
Can anyone redpill me on this? What was so great about Vs13 and what sucks so hard about 15?

Attached: final-fantasy-xv.png (1600x900, 2.35M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vkZvdT3QS4k
youtu.be/v8lvAq_yp_w
windowscentral.com/square-enix-posts-33-million-loss-cancels-many-final-fantasy-xv-expansions
youtube.com/watch?v=Qr2t2Si60Ak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

FFXV is not worth it.

Not worth what? An explanation?

/thread

It's a decent game as of now. But it was in development hell for like 10 years, had a huge chunk of it cut out and pushed out as is. After it released and everyone got cockteased about it not being finished and just shoved out, they teased 6+ dlcs in order to finish up the package. Spoiler alert Squeenix got to 5 and decided to cut their losses and move on.

Now you're going to have a game that's probably 25-30 hours or so for the main story which is pretty comfy for the first 20 and just shoots you (locks you) into endgame. But don't forget to play each of the DLC chapters!

I still enjoyed it though, wish we could have gotten the real perfect version.

Fighting as Noctis is suffering, combat systems as a whole goes against itself quite often, open world is thrown out for a good 50% of the game, incredibly predictable story.
Driving around with the bros and listening to maybe (where the fuck was answers) some of your favorite FF music was nice.

Not OP, but also interested in Final Fantasy. Which are the best games in the series? What should I play?

Versus XIII didn't look that different really
youtube.com/watch?v=vkZvdT3QS4k

Or would Squareenix's other titles like Mana or Chrono be better?

The one demo where which direction you tilted the stick changed which weapon you used was quite a bit better than the end result we got.

Why do we only ever have FF threads about XV? Why does Yea Forums only ever discuss the newest games in the series barring Deus Ex? Where the fuck are all of the FF oldfags? I want to shitpost about Maria goddamn it

Attached: 1549428216039.jpg (720x960, 114K)

>Fighting as Noctis is suffering, combat systems as a whole goes against itself quite often
Really? Isn't the combat just an extra flashy version of Kingdom Hearts' system? From all i've seen it looks pretty satisfying, if a little monotonous.
X is what got me into this series but if you wanna get on the FFags' good side, i'd start with a good fan translation of VI.

>Why do we only ever have FF threads about XV?
the fuck you talking about? the majority of the FF threads I've seen have been about 8 and 13, arguing what's the worst game in the series.

The combat is worse than KH, you hold X and tilt in the direction of a enemy, swap weapons to maintain damage type boost.
The other characters all do nearly double the damage of Noctis while having constant flashy abilities you can spam without needing to craft a spell beforehand.

Oh please, as if you don't know how Yea Forums works at this point. Just make a thread and wait for the oldfags to come to it, or go to /vr/ and make a FF thread..

I wish the gameplay played like Kingdom Hearts, user.

Literally any game from Square Enix not called Final Fantasy is better than whatever nu squeenix is trying to do atm

Attached: Subarashiki.Kono.Sekai.full.7169.jpg (774x1000, 251K)

>TWEWY
You zetta son of a digit.

Attached: BD329B34-73FB-4B96-8AF2-3285201B5429.png (744x594, 590K)

Its not even close to KH, it was once but then they changed it completely and made it somehow way more casual and unsatisfying.

Attached: 1397208810021.webm (649x365, 2.78M)

Its a good game that Yea Forums hates for not being a perfect game.

Wow, so XV is more of a really slow yet very pretty hack and slash rather than an RPG. Still doesn't sound like a bad or even mediocre game, but i can see why a Final Fantasy fan wouldn't react well to a game that's barely even an RPG at this point being called "Final Fantasy XV"

>if you wanna get on the FFags' good side, i'd start with a good fan translation of VI.
Fuck off. Woolsey or bust.

That game almost bankrupted square enix by making lose to the company 33 million dollars, it's so bad they canceled the upcoming dlc's who were deeply needed to give consistency to the story because the director was so fed up he left and even though it was hyped like hell is ranked 5th as the most grossing final fantasy games ever.

Truly a disappontment, and im not even mentioning the fact that they changed the crappy engine making them losing millions and that it was never meant to be a mainline final fantasy at the beginning and they changed that because they knew it wouldn't sell jackshit without the name attached.

youtu.be/v8lvAq_yp_w this video explains everything wrong with this "final fantasy"

Attached: 1551001130378.jpg (1024x576, 40K)

this desu
It's fun and has a good story that is presented quite poorly. If you get past that, though, it's a pretty good experience

i think if the game looks interesting you should try it and that's really all there is to it, applying to any game, not just XV
nothing about versus13 was special per se, but for the time period it just looked really cool and had hype around it, no one knew anything about it other than the handful of videos that didnt show a ton
i personally enjoyed XV, and although the story was a bit weak, i think some of the characters were really great, and loved the ending sentiments of the final camping spot conversation, i think that conversation was just a beautiful example of real friendship and reminds me of my own bros
id never say the game was perfect or honestly even great, but i like the aesthetics, loved aranea's design and the ideas behind the world/game although execution failed in several ways

The game did not almost bankrupt square, the fuck

These threads are only created to summon "those two" anons and you fucking know it.

windowscentral.com/square-enix-posts-33-million-loss-cancels-many-final-fantasy-xv-expansions

I found the 4 main characters cheesy as fuck and couldn't take it anymore

>Its fine to get an "okay" game after 10 years of waiting
Nah

Really nigga?

Attached: 1553113637041.gif (360x238, 1.43M)

Vs13 had actual gameplay while XV has the kind of gameplay you'd find in most action adventure AAA games. That sort of floaty, unimpactful animation that has slow downs on impact to adhere to a more "cinematic" type of gameplay.
Think gameplay in line with AC, nu-God Of War, Uncharted etc.
It's the type of game you play one time and you don't want to go back to because the gameplay is just in that sort of dullness.

nowhere in that article does it mention anything 33 million potentially bankrupting the company

>hack and slash
Calling it that is a bit of a insult to the genere, it has less depth than KH and the combat in that game boils down to hitting X three times in a row, dodging and sometimes casting spells.
I went in into XV not expecting a traditional FF experience because every other FF game I've played I hated so I thought XV might change my mind. I was wrong.
The further I got the more I hated everyone but Ignis.

trick question, it's XV

"almost"
The gotta thanks their other ip's for not letting that blunder of a game destroy the company.

I'm not asking how the game affected Squeenix's bottom line, i'm asking how or why the unreleased version of the game is considered better than the game we got.
Also no thanks, i'm not autistic enough to watch a movie-length essay about a videogame. Vidya =/= school.
Yeah, that looks WAY more KH-esque. Kinda weird how it looks unfinished, but still fun.
Yeah fair enough. J-rock boy bands aren't for everyone.

it doesn't say that either. why would you lie on the internet, user. you're not a scumbag, are you?

>I'm not asking how the game affected Squeenix's
Fair enough.
>unreleased version of the game
There's very little info and mostly comes from teaser trailers and developer comments, it definetly was very different from what we got though.

Btw in the video there are some info on the original cocepts you silly, you shouldn't ask for a topic to then back away when anons give you sources.

The open world is also empty and boring, sidequests are arr same.

just play it you fucking dork

a good JRPG is much better than a shitty open world action jrpg hybrid.

This game doesn't feel like a FF, game so I skipped it. I appreciate SE experimenting like they always do with the series, but they lost me on this release.

While we’re on the subject, are there ANY games out there with combat that’s even remotely similar to the KH series? I’ve grown to love that little command menu, and I don’t wanna see it die.

Attached: A4344BC3-65CE-454A-AA93-D68067209070.png (200x176, 21K)

first 10 hours or so is full of woah moments but it runs out of steam real quick, once you pass mid game it becomes a chore

We just had an FF9 thread about an hour ago

>empty world with nothing but gas stations
>combat is literally pressing 1 button and almost impossible to lose
>there is no story, you just do 8 shit dungeons that all look alike and then you're stuck in a train till a 10 years time skip where you just go and beat the final boss. The end
>The game offers little to no customization
>All side-quests are either bring me this or kill that. That's it.
>Luna dies within the the first 5-10 minutes of her introduction
Even after all the DLC the game's still unfinished because the foundation is still as weak as it was on the day of release, they just added more shit on top.

This series has a shit ton of delusional but very loyal fans, which is why both FF13 and 15 have overwhelmingly positive reviews on places like Steam but don't kid yourself this shit is a major turd. But the game should be pretty cheap by now, just buy it, pirate it or whatever and play it and decide for yourself.

Its so fucking stupid that they didn't make FFXV to be more like KH combat since KH combat was already designed as a more action based FF game.

Attached: 1397439974926.webm (649x365, 2.4M)

don't worry, Nomura will be making KH games until he dies

It's a pretty good game man I got 80 hours in it and I played the classics too. People here are insanely pessimistic or just shitpost. Play it and form your own opinion.

VII is the best play it immediately

I've been a final fantasy fan since before most people on this board were born and I loved the hell out of FFXV. Just play the game and enjoy it and stop listening to retards on Yea Forums

this is a final fantasy game you retard. Turn based combat could always be described as "literally pressing 1 button" and there's rarely ever been any customization in final fantasy. what are you even comparing this game to

So, in other words......there are literally no other games with KH-esque combat? Oh well, I’ve been meaning to get into the Tales series anyway

Attached: 98368E52-0AB6-4311-A613-794B175EA890.gif (320x260, 1.03M)

XV is trying to be an action game, and failing

just play TWEWY

If you just want a good action RPG in general, you should try out TWEWY. Made by the same guys behind KH as well.

Attached: F667B617-9226-4313-ADBB-81C6C57C52C4.jpg (1024x576, 120K)

Oh don’t worry, that’s already on my list. I’m just a tad disapointed there aren’t more Nomuras in the industry.

Would the world even be able to handle that much autism?

Attached: 203E38F0-EDDC-4DF0-B196-934C96FE1D28.jpg (421x312, 19K)

So you bought a final fantasy game and expected it to be more like action games instead of other final fantasy games. Sounds like you're the one who fucked up not the game.

it's perhaps better this way

>go in expecting a Final Fantasy game
>get a half-assed action RPG wannabe
>go in expecting an action game
>get a shitty action game
no, the game definitely fucked up

>empty world with nothing but gas stations
Sounds like an open world game to me.
Sounds mindless, but that can still be fun on occassion. Kinda like Destiny.
>there is no story, you just do 8 shit dungeons that all look alike and then you're stuck in a train till a 10 years time skip where you just go and beat the final boss. The end
Wow that really fucking sucks, so i guess i'll just do what i do with nearly every modern game and ignore the story.
That sucks.
>All side-quests are either bring me this or kill that. That's it.
Wait so no Snowboarding? No chocobo racing? Frick.
>Luna dies within the the first 5-10 minutes of her introduction
Thanks for the spoilers i guess, i still don't care who that it and i can ignore the story.
>this shit is a major turd
user, i don't think you have much experience with actually bad games.

>I’ve been meaning to get into the Tales series anyway
>Phantasia
>Symphonia
>Abyss
>Vesperia
Avoid everything else, there you go. Fuck current Tales of
This

Attached: sip.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

no you're just retarded

I might very well be, but FFXV manages to be more retarded.

Everything to do with the open world, story and combat is bad in XV. Some characters are good and it's a really short game, unlike XIII, which dragged on forever.

(If/when it ever happens)

Attached: FF7RE.gif (500x250, 1.75M)

>but final fantasy game, a franchise that's been turn based since existence
>get a game with turn based combat but flashier
>mad it's not hack n slash
seems more accurate to what you did. You literally bought a final fantasy game then got mad that it does what it says on the tin

>turn-based

Attached: 5725CF04-04B0-4C76-9A92-F66C93CD4807.jpg (680x343, 55K)

>>get a game with turn based combat but flashier
How the fuck is FFXV turn based?

It's literally all Nomurafags. Versus XIII was the second coming of Christ GOTY of all years and literally the savior of video games, despite every account from Square internally saying that basically 0 progress had actually been completed on the game. Also that hack Nomura wanted the game to be a high school musical at one point.

XV is an okay game if you enjoy FF, Square games or action rpgs in general. It is not a perfect game, the combat is pretty easy to break through lame tactics after a certain level, the story was incomplete and jarring at times. I still enjoyed it and actually cried during the ending. In comparison I got so bored of KH3, realized I literally gave no fucks if Sora, Kairi and all these other fags died and just stopped playing the game, wasn't fun at all.

Basically just put all of everyone's opinions out of your mind, play the game and form your own conclusions. You might enjoy it. Also the soundtrack compleeeeetely shits on KH3s OST, just saying.

pic related
>meanwhile, at Nomura's house

Attached: 1551406318510.gif (425x236, 2.4M)

>FFXV
>turn based
nigga what

it literally is. Any time you switch off attack the game pauses for you and holding attack is functionally the same as pressing attack each time its your turn on a turn based game.

>get a game with turn based combat but flashier
Jesus user, i haven't even played XV but i can feel your retardation through the monitor.

That’s not how it works, user.

Attached: 0B8B47E1-1D84-4322-8C43-A607E92CA3DB.png (800x633, 314K)

it is though. Even on active mode the game pauses when you open the item menu or try to equip magic.

Hahahaha wtf. You're retarded.

Attached: 1511388022581.png (414x351, 197K)

user, that’s just shit game design, not turn based combat. You’re still manually moving your character and shit during battles.

That doesn't make it turn based.

it is functionally the exact same. You have one button for attack which lets you attack at a set speed while the enemies attack you at their set speed and you get to pause and navigate menus while time is stopped anytime you want to do anything different. It's turn based but slightly flashier and expecting an action game is retarded on your part

KH3 may have had its fair share of problems but I would still play it over XV.

>he actually believes this
user, you can try all you want, but FFXV is still an ARPG. A really shit ARPG but an ARPG nontheless.

Attached: 8ED2565E-20CB-4955-B90C-A0E32C7E1D1A.jpg (400x400, 25K)

>no argument
ok

That is not turn-based you moron. Enemies will still attack you if you're not attacking unless you're on Wait mode. Being able to pause everything by going into items doesn't mean it's turn-based, it means the item menu freezes time. Your Armiger doesn't freeze time, summons don't freeze time they just make you invincible, magic doesn't freeze time, etc. If it was truly turn-based enemies wouldn't attack until after you attacked, you wouldn't be able to attack until they all did, and every command would freeze time no matter what it was. Even Wait mode isn't turn-based because it only slows down time when you're not moving.

XV is an ARPG, just because its mechanics aren't fluid doesn't mean it's not one.

I don't really know anything about Versus XIII but I can assure you XV sucks donkey anus

>Enemies will still attack you if you're not attacking unless you're on Wait mode
LITERALLY the same as every final fantasy since 8. If you put it on active and don't move they'll attack you over and over. You just played yourself

Since your post seems like it's only 60% likely to be shit-eating bait from xvkun, i'll bite.
>Why is 15 so bad?
It was a 12 year development cycle that delivered a gigantic mess of a game; what potential does exist (see: character chemistry, party banter, artistic direction) is butchered and overwhelmed by wildly severe weaknesses (see: press x to awesome combat, stilted narrative direction, totally fucked pacing, wildly incomplete at launch). If you took 15 as it stands right now with all DLC's, redesigns, the complete overhaul of Chapter13 onward, etc, it's actually a good 6.5/10 rpg; but if you played when it launched it was quite factually a 3 or 4/10 and that's being generous.
>What's great about 13
Nothing. 13 is dogshit too. If you want to actually not be a ff newb, go pick up FF6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. And after those, 12.
11 is an MMO and not worth your time, same with 14. They're thematically similar but nothing like all the other FF games. FF13 and FF13-3 are trainwrecks of horrifically garbage design choices, and FF13-2 is only slightly better than that.
AMA if you want, i've played every ff game to date since the NES and consider myself a fan, although I do think there are some that are horribly bad games.

Just ordered FFXII Zodiac Age
how did I do

Attached: mfw_i_see_a_janny.jpg (1920x1080, 177K)

>LITERALLY the same as every final fantasy since 8
Which are ATB modes which aren't turn-based, they're "Active Time Battle".

What the fuck am i reading, this has to be ironical nonsense. I refuse, no. I deny to believe someone like this actually exists.

Attached: mug,travel,x400,center-bg,ffffff.2.jpg (326x400, 12K)

so your argument is now that even old final fantasy games are turn based. Alright.

At this point, I’m wholly convinced that he’s just trolling.

Attached: 6F2FD872-FFB1-449F-89BE-BC4E117353B9.png (172x202, 8K)

No, again FFXV is not turn-based. You can attack more than once in a second, you don't have to wait at all to attack again unless you land, you can chain combos, you can spam items instead of having to wait your turn, and a whole bunch of other shit. This is like saying the Tales of games are turn-based.

It's good, but i advise you not to use the Zodiac job system/do not take a second job on characters, because it renders the game ridiculously easy. If you like some spice in your life and a little challenge, stick to 1 job per character, it's still very doable (all content), and won't be a snorefest. If you use even slight sensibility and give everyone 2 complimentary jobs, nothing in the game is even remotely capable of hurting you, incl. all end-game content like Zodiark and Yiazmat.

The combat in 15 is garbage, the combat in vs13 - a game that never came out - might have not been garbage.
15 is an okay game besides that, but the combat is just the worst out of any ff to date

user, as much as I dislike XV as a game, FF2 exists.

I mean, I guess it's literally a matter of taste. Both are fundamentally flawed games. Somehow, I just can't bring myself to give a shit about Kingdom Hearts. The more I played, the less fun I had. I'm sure many others felt the same way. In comparison, I spent over 110 hours in FFXV and the entire world of Lucis is dear to my heart now. Noctis is probably in my top 3 FF characters, and I've played every FF game except the first two. And this is a singular game that didn't need 8 games of build up to get me invested. No amount of people posting or telling me the game sucked or that I have horrible taste for enjoying it and Platinum trophying the entire game will change one simple fact: I had fun, I loved all the characters, I loved the world, I enjoyed the story despite its flaws. And this was WAY before Royal Edition and the DLC. I felt like the only person on Earth who actually liked the game, and in some ways I still do. I have no idea what people wanted from XV, but I felt more than satisfied and still boot up the game just to revisit it out of nostalgic loves for the game. And yes I realize how strange it is to have nostalgic feelings towards a 2016 game.

Attached: __yorha_no_2_type_b_soulcalibur_vi_and_etc_drawn_by_mellow_rag__8f5dfe611f096a76e8da83b4970876d2.png (848x1133, 517K)

I've loved all the games but as others have said xv is a little dissatisfying. The older ones are all classics I'd say any game up to xii is great

>the combat is the worst out of any FF to date
What is Final Fantasy VIII, Alex?
on a sidenote, since when does combat in FF matter? I'm not defending XV by any means, gameplay-wise it's hot garbage, but I mean shit, that's par for the course.
Final Fantasy is the less retarded sister of Dragon Quest, a quote unquote video game for the clinically diagnosed mentally disabled. Fuck me if I can't find where the game is supposed to be in it, though.
Final Fantasy is and has always been fringing. It's the original moviegame, even among FMV and text-based adventure games.
Walk around, inexplicably talk to some non-characters, grind the attack function and in the case of bosses heal every second turn.
Wash, rinse, repeat ad infinitum for fifteen goddamn motherfucking iterations, with not a hint of strategem or mechanical prowess required.
What a fucking franchise. My God, my God, what a reputation that has been tarnished. A retard-bait series whose most famous entry whose fame is because of what? The fucking incoherent story.
Fuck Squaresoft. Should've all lost their jobs and killed themselves twenty odd years ago. Worthless limpdick fucks, ruining- RUINED the industry with their cancer.
And one final note, in case everything else didn't get through:
Versus XIII was never a game you Nomuracuck. It was a movie. Your dumb fucking retard ass got excited for a proposed VIDEO GAME because of the CGIshit MINI-MOVIES they pumped out, and that one pre-rendered garbage segment they showed what they wanted the gameplay to look like.
Nomura likes anime characters that fly around at super sonic speeds. He developed short films about nonexistent gameplay based on that abortion of a film he directed. This is the guy you expected to make a video game. THIS is the conceptual video game you think "might not have been garbage".
Rethink your fucking life, or better yet just fuck off

duscae demo combat was much better than the final game and had a lot of room to improve. unfortunately, the decided to change everything a year from release which is why the current system is such a mess youtube.com/watch?v=Qr2t2Si60Ak

This post is excellent, very classic Yea Forums.
20 minute necro solely to shitpost and "you like what i dont, youre dumb garbage"
10/10, stellar

>since when does combat in FF matter?
since they turned it into an ARPG. is that really so hard to understand?

Long story short, it's basically a chopped up version of an amazing game. The director came into the project after the story had been laid out and took a machete to the whole script, the characters and world are horribly underutilized, the combat system was (purposely) boiled down so far it lacks any sort of challenge or intricacy, and the story is barely 30% of what it was supposed to be.

Basically it's a mountain of potential that we will never get to see. There are some good aspects to it as you can still see parts of greatness in the story and characters shining through in some places, but even with aspects like the music being incredible they still find ways to fuck up it's implementation ingame. FFXV also somehow has the best ending in the series, arguably one of the best in RPGs as a whole.

XV just feel awkward the whole way through.
Feels like you're playing an early access alpha build of a game.
You get the best, and most fun skills at the end of the game, but there's nothing left to do except a couple of these 100 floor dungeons that are literally plain square rooms, that look like debug test areas with a monster or two inside of them.

>an FFXV thread without Barry during his peak hours
I guess DMC5 finally broke him

STOP, YOU’RE GONNA SUMMON HIM

noted, I've already read about that second job, they're supposedly balancing it for the Xbox and switch releases next month, let's hope they update the PS4 version as well

Woah, a good response that actually answers what i originally asked in the first place? Thanks, user. Now i get that most of the disdain from this game comes not just because of the naming or the combat alone, but what it /could/ have been. Ending up with a good game, but one with the potential to be a genre-defying masterpiece.
Fuck, now i'm a little bit sad about it.

Attached: 1551402721665.png (371x532, 281K)

No amount of people posting or telling me the game sucked or that I have horrible taste for enjoying it and Platinum trophying the entire game will change one simple fact: I had fun

This is really what's important. If you're having fun, who fucking cares. I'm still playing Overwatch. I'm still playing PS2 classics. I still replay my favorite KH and FF games.

I definitely prefer KH3 over FFXV (and believe it's the better game, but this isn't the point), but it's just about what you have fun with. When I played FFXV on release it was like I was playing a really great game that just had too much stuff bogging it down for me. With KH3, I felt like I was playing a really great game that had a kind of awful plot structure. They were both flawed, and they were both games that just needed some extra dev time (as crazy as that sounds) to really be 10/10 amazing games.

I don't know what XV is like now, I haven't touched it since I finished back in 2016, but I'm hoping KH3 gets the same treatment with updates and DLC. They both really deserved and needed it.

Yeah, it's actually re-tailored "around" the second jobs; there's some things they rebalanced around the idea, but the problem is they failed and it's overtly OP in a lot of ways. It's way too easy to put 2 and 2 together and end up equalling 500, where it should be somewhere in the high 3 range.

How I hate to bring the soul vs. soulless stuff in here, but I think it applies to the Final Fantasy series.
You can see the passion and soul steadily dwindle the further you get in the series, and them placing emphasis on all the wrong reasons (graphics - mostly).
FF since about FFX has just become 'Grab the cash from the teenage fanboys(and girls) with some pwetty graphics. And not much more.