Why is "looter shooter" such a shitty genre? Can it be fixed?

Why is "looter shooter" such a shitty genre? Can it be fixed?

Attached: 1551156222759.jpg (634x424, 53K)

i dont know but bullet sponges make the games tedious and no fun

The games main loop ends up not being fun with every enemy becoming a bullet sponge.

Stats and minmaxing ruin everything.

You may disagree with its meme humor and wacky story but borderlands did a decent job.
Until your progressed far enough to be haunted by them sponges and the pre-sequel happend

Be honest, will we ever see a decent B3 that isn't micro-transaction, "games are a service" bullshit?

the numbers on the weapon end up mattering more than where you put the bullets every time
the only fix would be to have bullets all do the same damage but have different effects or something but trying to balance things out is next to impossible while still making things different enough that you'll want a different gun once you find one you like

Because most of the time the shooter part in loot shooter means you gonna be shooting at bullet sponges for a long time
imagine if Diablo only had one class and the variety comes from 3-4 characters that all control exactly the same and feel like they have about half the depth of a Diablo character

some genres simply dont mix.

only way for a looter shooter to be fun is if they embrace their weak story and go all out on the looting part of the game

it's all about the current fad of genres that people are into, you know? sort of like how MMOs were on everyone's mind and that was gaming at its core, then it was anything to do with space, etc.. people will look back on all this looter shooter garbage and call it underrated and "ahead of its time"

What the fuck why is that nigger using an M-14. SOMEONE GET HIM A COMMIE NIGGER WEAPON LIKE AN AK-47 OR SOMETHING ELSE THIS US UNIRONICALLY TRIGGERING ME.
It's like that fucking African tribe using M1 Garand's

Attached: 1552570854464.jpg (480x480, 26K)

thanks for your input you smelly weeb

the only way you can fix it is by removing "looter shooters" from existence
guns are guns, they should fucking kill people when you shove a gun barrel up their ass and pull the trigger, not deal 50 damage and keep on shooting you

>loot shooter
>not shlooter

Attached: Bwap.png (1080x1703, 1.49M)

sounds like a gun that shoots poop at people
that or dicks

>"looter shooter"
this is almost as bad a term as spectacle fighter and only faggots use it

Implementing a proper RPG system and skill tree. Not Borderlands shit with "5% to damage" talents. Warframe is a lot better in this regard, but, again, frames aren't highly customizable, even EVE Online, where ships are as specialized as warframes, has more options for customization.

A truly all encompassing explanation of the shlooter experience

they can be fixed. destiny was overall a pretty average game but there were some aspects like the raid that were extremely fun and challenging especially on the first go. the problem is none of them have enough content and end up being a grind for loot. most of the time the loot is pretty boring too

almost as cancer as battle royale

It has no hook, there's nothing unique about the "genre" only things from other series mashed together, this can work the problem is that these elements contradict one another.
These games are made to keep players engaged for a long time, the issue is that they are designed to look like blockbuster single player games like uncharted, this level of visual fidelity doesn't lend itself well to a lot of content, ever wonder why the most common complaint with destiny, division, anthem is that players run out of shit to do or what's there is mostly grinding?
Then you have story, given these are shared worlds you can't have much influence over the game world since everything has to be instanced.
Since these are shooters and devs have to crank out a ton of fights the chances of them crafting interesting and challenging scenarios is pretty slim so the typical result is bullet sponge enemies, the loot element cements this as the enemies have to stand a chance against players getting more and more powerful weapons.
Ask yourself why pick a looter shooter over anything else?

>why
Because devs can't balance them for shit
>fixed
Make devs less retarded

Attached: 1531231579968.gif (500x320, 911K)

Looter shooters are shitty because everyone is a fucking bullet sponge

never played a fun shooter where enemies took more than a magazine to kill

Attached: 1477765511161.gif (300x168, 791K)

*sniff sniff*

Is that a... non-white poster I smell?

Attached: jumanji_1886089i.jpg (620x388, 52K)

Why are you smelling yourself?

*click*

STAND STILL MY QUARRY! YOU CANNOT RUN FOREVAH!

Attached: maxresdefault (8).jpg (1280x720, 178K)

nice

That actor had a negress girlfriend, you black asshole.

Alright boys, name 3 looter shooters you might consider good, and then we'll see what appears in most people's list the most often and disect what made them better than their peers.

a lot of colonialists did,still do

Loot shooters aren't the problem. Them being MMO-lites is what makes them trash fires.

Attached: HOW CAN I SNAP YOUR NECK IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE.jpg (1024x578, 210K)

Because the aiming mechanic is too overpowered.

Borderlands 2
Warframe
Destiny 2:Forsaken

Dying Light
Jackie Chan

This, being single player/coop focused, relatively small levels seems to work best, look at Warframe and Borderlands, they appear to have a more focused design.

>to immerse himself into this role, the actor actually needed to replicate the jungle fever British colonizers experienced in savage Africa
Fucking outstanding

Attached: 1552741198827.png (415x367, 142K)

>warframe
>focused design
c'mon now

Autism

More so than the division, destiny, anthem

>name 3
There's something like 5 looter shooter series total.

The big things I’ve noticed myself wanting
>scaling like destiny 2
>weapon lifespan from borderlands 1
>build around mechanics like claptraps random weapon boosts, kreigs melee, or gaiges anarchy
Things I think need fixing
>platforming, it doesn’t really need to be in a shooter game
>weapon variety; most guns end up feeling very samey, would be cool if burst fire or explosive rounds weren’t manufacturer or type locked.
>defensive gear being boring. All the armor you get in destiny is just numbers, shields in borderlands are interesting but they’re the only defensive items in game.
>fixed drops, I don’t want to have to continually reload the same area for the gear I want.

I don't play these games but can you explain what the appeal of them is, I don't want this to sound confrontational I just genuinely don't see the appeal, anything in these games seem to be better found elsewhere.

Personally it piques my autism. It’s a shooter that doesn’t require the reflexes I lost when I had a stroke and there good with friends. Outside of those things the genre isn’t great.

>melee character
>in an FPS
>easily one of top 3 most powerful characters
Kreig is one of if not the best PC in any RPG ever.

Take Diablo 2's loot system
Replace staves, swords, shields, daggers, javelins, etc. with guns
There you go

samefag

Fair enough I can understand that, I mainly play single player games now so any time I play multiplayer it's mostly just to catch up with friends.

What's the point of all that shit if there's no PvP to test the gear you grinded against? Just farming gear to farm gear more efficiently? It's dumb.

Attached: Capture.jpg (488x233, 14K)

Attached: bixnood.jpg (700x440, 202K)

These are one of my least favorite kinds of posts.
No one cares. Ignore him.

What I wanna know is why not a single one takes itself seriously in tone. They're all post ironic quippy "isn't this so silly guys" schlockfest and that's a boring as fuck angle when everyone and their mother is doing it

My issue with borderlands, the only looter shooter I played, is that there’s not too much progression or differences in the classes. Sure one character can snipe through shields while another deals more elemental damage which is nice but WHO CARES. Each class has one ability that you can maybe change to feel a little different but it’s not enough. When I go through the game as Roland I don’t really feel compelled to go through it again as Lilith because there really isn’t a huge difference between them. Even the differences between the same characters are minimal, often times amounting to “this character deals 30% more damage”. Since progression then mostly comes from guns it’s really fucking boring since outside of super broken weapons you don’t really feel like you’re getting stronger since the only difference is like 50 more damage on the number that shows up above their head.

The days of supreme weapons at the tips of our fingers is gone.
Now you get to find your shitty pistol on the ground in some house and pay for skins.

>discord trannies

Attached: 1111.png (402x340, 211K)

This "humour" is fucking cancer, why is it so widespread nowadays? Is it the prevalence of safe comedy where you can "only punch up" or something? TF2 is still way funnier than any of these games.

this guy gets it, the problems in every looter shooter are incompetent devs

Escape from Tarkov does loot shooting pretty well. More games should follow that desu

going to give him a (You) just to annoy your self-righteous ass tbqh

You can try and save face on an anonymous image board all you want. I'll be fine.

Metal Gear survive is great.
Mgsv is the best third person gameplay you can get, turning it into a true survival game actually puts the framework into motion. It starts slow but it picks up 2 hours in.

I wanted a mgsv game with character customization and a more meaningful open world and I fucking got it. The dialogue and characters are meaningless, I know they are shit, but they occupy 1% of the game and I don't need to even look at them.

Attached: 8a13d51b-fd58-41f6-bdc4-ee33323d4961.png (636x952, 1.15M)

Stop shitposting on Yea Forums Pat.

>Gunfag complains about what some niggers use to kill each other.

You people would literally bitch about being hung with a new rope.

I don't know much about The Division but doesn't that take itself seriously?

This.

Far from it. Taking selfies while gunning looters as characters make quips whole you're on a quest to recover the declaration of independence is far from serious in tone

>Why is "looter shooter" such a shitty genre?
"RPG" elements and bulletsponges.

Shlitpoosting*

They're shitty hybrids of shooters and rpgs where they promise you mystical forever games that you and your ragtag team of friends will live in completing battle passes every 3 months, doing the same "raids" where the community will bitch because not everyone is willing to devote an afternoon to one single event anymore, refusing to do old content because it is obsolete and of course, difficulty where the difficulty is them scaling health and damage reduction up to stupid levels so you're more likely to make a mistake than win so you have to devise stupid cheese strats that ignore the core mechanics of the game entirely because the core mechanics are exactly what're working against you but the core mechanics are teh fun part so you give up on doing it entirely and just jew people all day and play dressup.

Fuck these games and their shitty fanbases. All these fags do is go at each others throats despite all of their games still stemming from the same boring as fuck formula.

Guns just aren't satisfying if they aren't strong, and the nature of looter shooter tacked on RPG mechanics means that guns are almost always going to feel weak because of spongy enemies

They can't because the whole purpose of "power upping" yourself is lost
>get better gear
>enemies scale to you power level
>nothing changes
>repeat

it will be shit as long as it has RPG mechanics, where getting better gear is more important that adapting and getting better yourself

Attached: 78fj5so37fy11.jpg (2048x1325, 928K)

No, its biggest issue is that it tries to function like an MMO
But the biggest draw of MMOs beyond team/group play and getting better gear is transmog and other sorts of unique customization
And it loot shoots, microbuys are often used to lock away cosmetics
In free games like Warframe, this is passable since the game is free
But in big games like Destiny or Anthem, this is a big no no and has alienated consumers
I hear Division 2 is decent
That being said, it's still just a shooter MMO which feels bad to me because what's the point of a game with shoot based combat or any combat where death has no meaning/characters will just respawn anyways
The MMO genres is flawed to begin with and people have known this for years. Hence why FF and WoW are the only ones left, because people know those brands and they've been built up for so long that you'd be foolish to go play another MMO because there's just not as much content