Which JRPG had the best story?

Which JRPG had the best story?

Attached: 1541804825619.jpg (314x445, 21K)

FFX has a terrible story because tidus is a pointless character and hes the fucking protag. you remove tidus and the story is literally the same

Best story? Probably unironically FFVII. Best story pacing? Chrono Trigger. Best story concept? Final Fantasy VI.

You need a high IQ to fully understand FFX's story
Though I'm not a fan of the sequel, the game is solid on it's own

do you really not understand the purpose of Tidus as a character, user?
if not, you should really open more books before discussing "story"-related anything

FFIX hands down

Attached: beatrix.jpg (500x707, 130K)

Persona 2 innocent sin or Xenogears.

so you dont either? k

nothing comes close, especially not any shitty FF story

Attached: Xenogears_box[1].jpg (256x240, 64K)

Symphonia did FFX's story better in every possible way

Attached: 51ERCGD2CGL._SY445_.jpg (314x445, 42K)

I'm asking you if you are shitposting or just ignorant.

This is the only correct answer.

if an FF game has your favorite jRPG story you're either an idiot or have not played enough jRPGs to proclaim anything as the best. The best FF story is 7 and it's ok

Actually it's cold.

neither, im right.

Attached: ps4box_jap.jpg (1237x791, 221K)

Granblue Fantasy

Definitely not that game.

I vote for Suikoden I-III (which is one ongoing, connected story).

Tidus had a point in the story. FFX is stupid because Yuna ends up being the focus for 80% of the game, but her role in the story becomes pointless at the end, when Tidus' story takes over. She's basically a giant diversion to make the story last longer. Because if it was just about Tidus, then the story would be about 2 hours long. Tidus wouldn't fall off the Al Bhed ship, he'd be taken right to Zanarkand, he'd meet up with the spirits and be told his role in the story, then go fight his dad.

Attached: 1463881754727.png (1500x1009, 1.76M)

Wasn't this game supposed to be FFVII before it got spun off into a different project?

>game where half the story is missing or rushed
>and it's only one part of a six part story, which never got made
>best story
Nope.

yes, sakaguchi believed it was too mature and complex for final fantasy idiots (he was right)

the story is complete, gameplay is missing stuff

>and it's only one part of a six part story,
one part that better than every other jRPG story out there. Also portions of episode I-IV are incorporated into it

Is this bait? Without tidus, the cycle would not have been broken, and we would have been denied YRP

Attached: naggers.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

>has only ever played FF and CT
Final Fantasy has never been the best at anything. Play better JRPGs.

You're wrong actually. Tidus is far from a "pointless character." He's the vehicle through which we understand the setting of Spira.
Ever wonder why so many fantasy settings have a protagonist with some sort of amnesia? Now you know.

The perspective character (which Tidus isn't even an example of) is a common storytelling technique seen in classics like The Great Gatsby and Tale of Two Cities. Final Fantasy did it twice, with Bartz and Vaan.

This is what you get from contrarians who want to push fringe shit just to prove they play games nobody else has. There's always somebody coming in these threads to say that the best RPG is some Atelier game or whatever.

This. After beating Xenogears all other JRPG's seem like trash to me....

Kiseki, especially Tits to Zero

ffxv has the best story

I would say that they're best at beating entry-level jrpgs, or rpgs in general. I imagine starting with ff6, ff7 or ff10 would be best for newcomers, since overall they're not that hard.

I've played a long list of JRPGs that isnt FF or CT and my favorite is still Final Fantasy. fuck off with your contrarian shit

Cringe
Based

>thinking any FF game has the best story
>let alone one where it takes over half the game for the story to even start
Cringe

100% correct answer

I'll unironically defend pic related as RPG kino because it focuses on keeping the story nice and simple so it doesn't constantly get in the way of the gameplay. I don't need twist endings left and right, nor do I need religious allegories, nor do I need characters breaking down and crying constantly. Sometimes I just want to beat up the bad guy and save the world. It's not a hard thing to do.

Honorable mentions go to Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario.

Attached: 51310_front.jpg (640x354, 53K)

Lost Odyssey
Too bad the combat sucked so much.

You might like Dragon Quest, user. At least, the more light-hearted ones.

>garland
>necron
>good story

I got ya bro.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1193x1600, 642K)

Try Lunar 1 & 2 and Grandia 1 & 2

Xenogears

Persona 2 IS. EP sucked tho.

>I talk about topics I have no idea of

so this thread was focus on best story in Jrpg, not best gameplay
then my pick would be Xenogears, of course the gameplay has so many flaws and the storyline too but i don't know, i think there's no Jrpg can top Xenogears's storyline.

Attached: DzHxAIgUcAAiumQ.jpg (613x412, 87K)

It's hamstrung by NES limitations but Final Fantasy II has a really good story and characters.

This

Attached: LostOdyssey.jpg (220x311, 27K)

As someone who likes Xenosaga for the art, tolerates the story, but finds the combat tedious... should I play Xenogears?

Kingdom Hearts 1 ignoring all sequels.

Beat up darknessdudes with a funny looking notsword in disney worlds to find your friends.

I might agree with this. Even if it's not the best plot it's certainly the best written.

combat is slightly less tedious, plot is far more interesting because it doesn't take 3 games before stuff happens. Characters are worse overall, but Fei is a better main character than shion. Story is the main draw, if you want gameplay stick with the xenoblade games. Oh the music is great too but the soundtrack is limited considering the length of the game

The plot itself was okay but the stories you'd get to read were great.

Play something besides Square games.

Hard to justify calling it "the best" but it's the right kind of serious where there is actual drama instead of anime drama.

Attached: 220px-Vandal_Hearts_Coverart.png (220x208, 97K)

Based

Not that user, but he is right. The story follows a character called Yuna who is on a pilgrimage to stop the ''ultimate evil'' called Sin. Tidus is just a guy who suddenly appeared in this (for him) strange new world. considerign the fact that he is away from home, with zero to none chances of coming back, I'd say he's pretty chill about it, like he doesn't give a fuck at all. Sin could be anyone, but they decided ''hey, it should be Jecht'' just to have some impact on the player, but it doesn't work. It would be better if the summoner actually becomes a Sin, in this specific case Yuna's father, as he was actually a good person (as the game shows us).
Jecht acts like an overgrown kid, Tidus hates his father even though his mother was much much worse, and the whole ''I hate you dad'' crying scene was... what the hell was that, anyway?

I know what you're going to say. ''You are a fucking idiot, user. The game shows you the world through Tidus's eyes. Without him, the game would be much different.'' No, it wouldn't. As I said, he is in this strange new world, but acts like he's not interested in it at all. Every (for him) new thing is introduced to him with one or two sentences , ''this is machina, it is bad, we no use it'', he bows his head and that is it. No questions, no doubt, no further explanation needed, and you can see this from the very beginning.
>some giant monster attacks the city
>Tidus falls off
>next thing, he wakes up and says ''ugh it's cold, I need some fire''
W T F

Symphonia is probably the most overrated Tales game because only retarded nintendiesfags played it

>if you want gameplay stick with the xenoblade games.
Oh god, I fucking hate the gameplay in XC2, which is the only xenoblade game I've played. It's such a shame because every other aspect of it is entertaining as fuck. RPG gameplay is one thing that I just can't stand in non-tactical Japanese rpgs, despite being into everything else. After playing original sin, dragon age origins, or even fire emblem, I just can't go back to systems with such non-reactive, shallow systems. I'd rather just read a vn and skip the "gameplay".

t. Vesperiatard

to be fair it's one of three good tales games, and it was the first of the three

Certainly not FFX which is a candidate for worst stories.

The answer is Nier Automata and yes the game is a JRPG

Tidus's role is to be a flat arc character. He isn't there to change but to do the changing. His presence is what guides the party to fucking off with the original goal when at the beginning they were all (at least two of them) devoted believers. Tidus was basically a chaos agent who's presence disrupted a critical component of society to change it for the better.

Symphonia is much better if you imagine Lloyd is literally Robin from Teen Titans teleported to another world.

It isn't turn based

Attached: 1508129170284.jpg (680x383, 29K)

That's not criterion for being a jrpg

>Tidus is just a guy
Tidus and Jecht are literal Deus ex Machinas not randos

>It would be better if the summoner actually becomes a Sin, in this specific case Yuna's father, as he was actually a good person (as the game shows us).
Imagine being so autistic that the only twist you can come up with is "this good person is now forced to be bad!" rather than a complex hate boner with a shitty father becoming worse

>No questions, no doubt
Did you even fucking play the game?

>>some giant monster attacks the city
>>Tidus falls off
Holy shit you're retarded did you even play the game?

>anime drama
What you're referring to is immature/exaggerated drama. And it can be found in plenty of western media. Likewise, there's plenty of anime with grounded, developed drama. That game is an example.

>all JRPGs are turn based
That's like saying all WRPGs are action based. And even you should know that isn't true.

Yes, user. If you keep throwing insults and keep repeating the same thing over and over again, it means you have a point and know what you're talking about.
>His presence is what guides the party to fucking off with the original goal
I don't see how, user. By playing Blitzball after the Sending?

Xenogears is such a pseudo-intellectual filter of a game. They literally slapped two cool sounding words together - Xeno and Gear, added mechs and a storyline about humanity coming to an understanding through killing god and young Nine Inch Nails listening pothead kids ate it up. It's shit. Complex doesn't always mean better.

Thank fuck some anons are posting suikoden 2, phantasy star 4 and lunar. Everyone else needs to play better games

By literally calling them out for it. All that stuff where Lulu was calling him selfish and a child? That wasn't "whining." It was a reasonable reaction to an insane custom that everyone was cool with. Eventually the message got through.

unironically Deltarune

holy shit user, you're a faggot

It depends on what you define as "best." I'm the one who posted Lunar but as good as it is, it's derivative as hell. I suppose if we're talking about execution then Lunar accomplishes what it sets out to do perfectly. But then so do a lot of games, including Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy V.

>killing god
nice to see you didn't play the game

>Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy V
kek, last 2 games I bought on Steam were those 2. I'm that other fag who mentioned Lunar (and Grandia).

>he bought the steam mobile shit versions instead of emulating
you got gypped hard

Le sets out to do

OK, now imagine FFX without Tidus. Sin is... doesn't matter who, and the game now fully focuses on Yuna and her pilgrimage. Auron still keeps his mouth shut until the last dungeon and then reveals all the relevant information. In YOUR opinion, would the game be much different, and what would you think about Auron as a character?

FFV is great just for being a farce, something you rarely see in RPGs.

I played that awful PS1 version because I didn't have a PC back then, played it on SNES emulator, I think it was SNES9X, palyed it on DS and now I bought it on Steam. Plus they changed the font, so it looks like original and not mobile.

It would be different because the pilgrimage probably would have gone without a hitch. They'd have gotten the final aeon from Yunalesca, banished Sin for little while, and Yuna would have died. Tidus was the spanner in the works.

TWEWY

Attached: H2x1_NSwitch_TheWorldEndsWithYouFinalRemix_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 265K)

>I hate you dad
It was still his dad user. No matter how much you hate your parents they still took care of you and loved you.

Attached: Pure Love.png (500x485, 247K)

What does it even matter if Tidus's presence has no effect on the game? Lots of great RPGs are like that. Chrono Trigger is one of them.

>s-stop calling me out for my mass generalizations!

But he didn't. Jecht didn't act like a father. Everyone in Spira remembers him as a kind person, but the game showed us an asshole. Unless this is what Tidus is keep telling himself; he either remembers only the bad things about his father or maybe exaggerating, just to have (in his fragile mind) and explanation on why his mother was a bad person - as you know, when Jecht was with her, she competely ignored her child. If that's the case, if Jecht was in fact a good parent, why couldn't Tidus admit it at the end?
I was just responding to this or, to be more precise
>tidus is a pointless character
I don't agree that FFX has a terrible story, but it's not great either.

Brainlet detected

Not even the user who talked about vandal hearts. I just think you type like a faggot

>and explanation on why
an, not and
This is what happens when I type fast.

brainlet for what? Nothing in final fantasy goes beyond surface level. If it does, it gets spun off into a different game like xenogears

Lost Odyssey/Baiten Kaitos

Reminder to never ever mention baiten kaitos spoilers since the games are kino

>you type like a faggot
You're watching me type in my house? You sound like the faggot. And a stalker.

My nigga.

Attached: 0369C0B0-90ED-43D3-AE10-61F0FB945774.png (1136x640, 1.07M)

Thanks for proving my point, retard.

Attached: waifu for laifu.png (500x378, 259K)

>the Takahashi spammer
Ah, now all your stupidity makes sense. Got kicked out of Yea Forums again I see.

Haven't been on Yea Forums in years.