Why don't they just play with items? I'm sure a metagame would develop that accounted for items and gimmick stages

Why don't they just play with items? I'm sure a metagame would develop that accounted for items and gimmick stages.

Attached: meelee.png (960x960, 2.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mTNaAUJZz5k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You are asking if a group of literal autistics who have devoted over 10 years of their life to a game to suddenly change the meta to a far more chaotic and even harder to master meta.

It'll never happen.

Because they're unbalanced. The entire idea is for there to be balance so that we can judge the skill of the players as best we can rather than how lucky they can get.

>trying to convince melee fags to do anything

dont bother

They played with items at the start of the competitive scene, especially on the west coast. It doesn't work for competitive play.

No fun allowed.

>playing with items on when the most popular character in the game has a frame 1 reflector that he can use at any time for free
it would literally only be Foxes at that point

Attached: 1363687148083.png (547x487, 25K)

>hey this game that's skewed towards fast characters, yeah let's make that even worse

Epic. Also a lot of items in Smash games inherently snowball the game.

You can't really master items. You can become good at using them, but the issue is spawn location and timing, over which you have zero control.

If items showed up in the same places at consistent intervals, like weapons in an arena shooter, that would be different. But smash doesn't work that way.

>skewed towards fast characters

Only because meleefags ban everything that inconveniences Fox mains. Even now they're discussing banning Jigglypuff because one player figured out a strategy that Fox mains can't defeat by mindlessly button mashing.

>Play online
>Items off
Fuck you if you do this.

>Only because meleefags ban everything that inconveniences Fox mains
then items would be one because the most free fucking button that he has would null 90% of offensive items against him

it's too much of a random factor

A lot of stages are banned specifically because they have walls that fox can use to perform infinite combos on other characters.

>introducing a fuck ton of randomness and luck to a very technical game for no reason
>Even now they're discussing banning Jigglypuff
No one is "discussing" this. Only stream monsters and retards like yourself think this is even a remotely possible outcome.

They tried it, it didn't go well. I can get into the core issues with why items don't work, if anyone actually cares.

dude most things in Melee are banned (mainly) because of Fox. Stage is too large? enjoy laser camping. Wall? enjoy Shine infinites. Items? is fast and can just pick up every item before his foe does. Enjoy Fox but he can heal n shit. Half the reason why people support Frozen Stadium is specifically to stop Fox wall infinites on Rock/Fire transformations.

>If items showed up in the same places at consistent intervals, like weapons in an arena shooter
This. This is the key thing.
Many of the items in Melee are decent, and if there was a set location for them to spawn in each stage, then we could have a metagame evolve around item control and timer awareness.
Instead, they drop from the sky and appear wherever. Plus, capsules and boxes tend to be exploding traps far too often.

Why don't they just ban Fox?

because waveshines are fun

Banning him wouldn't lead to a more diverse pool of viable characters. Pretty much every top 7 character has a 7-3ish MU vs characters lower than the top 12 and among the rank 8-12 characters Fox is only the worst MU for like 2 of em at most, arguably none of them at all. Plus while hes dumb, he loses to Marth which means his MU spread is a bit less powerful than characters that have historically been banned in most other communities.

Items don't rely upon player skill.

Items are only fun to play with in FFA. They're really just frustrating in anything else.

Random, inconsistent, unfair. You can organize your own items on tournaments if you wish though, or more realistically I'm sure you can find someone that likes items to netplay with.

Attached: 1549148578620.png (1575x883, 1.4M)

When Melee tournament play began they did play with items. It didnt work out. Learn your history OP.

they arent fun in FFA either unless you ban half of them, if you are playing Ultimate you have to ban like 90% of the items for it to be fun

me, but with jungle japes and balloon fight so everyone just falls in the river

Wow why don't they? I wonder if anyone has ever tried to use items in competitive play or talked about banning them before for this 18 year old game? This board is truly full of retarded faggots like OP.

Attached: 1414778807459.jpg (604x403, 25K)

Summon items are bullshit, especially pokeballs. At least most assist trophies can be killed, but pokemon are invulnerable and there are several that can just instakill you. On top of that, there are already several regular items that instakill you. Shit most items added after 64 were a mistake.

I WOULD PLAY MELEE 2.O

IF IT WAS A BASE FOR THE NEXT GAME IN THE SERIES.
DEVELOPED LIKE A OLD SCHOOL NINTENDO TITLE WHO ADDED UPON A ALREADY BEAUTIFUL GAME.

FIRST YOU HAVE MELEE AS A BASE AND THEN YOU ADD

AERIAL
CLANKS
SHIELDS
GRABS
SMASHES
AIR DASHES
TILTS

AND 360 DEGREE ATTACKS
OF AERIALS
TILTS
B
A
SMASHES
GRABS

ADD DOUBLE AND TRIPLE ATTACKING

YOU HOLD DOWN A BUTTON FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME LET GO AND PUT IN THE SAME INPUT

THIS COULD LEAD TO A LIGHT SMASH TO A STRONGER SMASH WITH THE RIGHT TIMING.

ALSO ADD VELOCITY ONTO JUMPS SO EVERY MOVE IS CONTROLLED BY THE PRESS.
AS WELL TO VELOCITY ON BUTTONS AS WELL

BUT NO AS A NINTENDO FAN.
I GOT A BALLS CHOPPED OFF
1 FLOATING BALL 1 BUTTON KILLS EVERYTHING ON SCREEN..
WITH SOMEHOW WORSE AESTHETICS MUSIC UI AND BUY FOR CHARACTERS IN AN ALL IN ONE EXCLUSIVE PACKAGE THAT WOULD OF NOT SOLD IF IT WASN'T FOR NINTENDO USING RESOURCES LIKE AI SHILLING AND ROBOTS TO SELL PRODUCTS

Attached: 1f6ze4f65ze4.jpg (328x690, 21K)

True

why are you so obsessed with a game you don't play

stop posting these terrible ideas

Attached: 1416943214597.jpg (414x409, 50K)

A metagame DID develop. It wasn't fun to watch people camp, and the random element can fuck over skill levels. Closing a skill gap with random elements is bad.

Items become exponentially less fun the better you get at the game

>melee a game nearly played for 20 years.
>additional gameplay added to existing game.
>bad

What's so wrong with these ideas

I disagree.

I like both.

With new players i will let them beat me.

new players arent going to be able to snipe you off ledge with items and kill you at 40% like experienced players are and they arent going to know stuff like shielding the blower or that the ore club is fucking broken and that they fucked up by letting the vet make a beeline for it

It’s not very interesting to watch and actually makes people play more similarly. That’s not to say items aren’t fun but it ceases to feel rewarding for players and even many spectators after a short while.

Ult is the least fun Smash with items on, man. It’s such a clusterfuck with all the effects and knockback that was attuned for 1v1.

there was a time that items were played in competitive melee, particularly on the west coast scene. though as the national scene evolved, it eventually took more from the east coast (particularly MDVA) and items were turned off.
ultimately, items are RNG, the point of competitive play is to remove as much of that as you can.

baiting retard

youtube.com/watch?v=mTNaAUJZz5k
While not with items, this set might help you understand what happens with just stages that may not even look like much like they'd be unbalanced or unfair

remember when they actually used to fucking test shit instead of banning everything at the start of the game? where is my testing period for Orphan and Rainbow Cruise?

I'll give you that players have become massive pussies, but with Internet & all, the pace at which broken stuff on stages gets discovered is much quicker. Still, it would have been fun to give them more of a chance. They literally got dismissed before release.

You have no idea what you are talking about, it is not just one player that figured out Jigglypuff was good, the character is uninteresting and the complete opposite of the way melee is played.

>competitive melee is epic, haha we play different from how the original game is intended xD
>WTF no you have to play like we play, that's not fair!!