So what actually happened to Onlive, anyway?

So what actually happened to Onlive, anyway?

Attached: onlive.jpg (636x358, 18K)

No one cares for streaming games. They got bought out then fizzled away

Zoom zoom

Attached: 9CED5A42-B877-4196-A0A3-48D752DC88DD.jpg (828x1451, 618K)

sony doing the world a favour and google has to go shit it up again

why the fuck did sony do that?

they tried to warn us... they tried to save us

To start it back up again as playstation now.

They bought it out because they wanted their infrastructure to go with their own and have integrated it into PS Now which does PS2, 3 and 4 game streaming for a monthly sub. Sony has basically been doing streaming games for several years now.

Literally who?

I actually tried cloud gaming and it sucks.

Never lived up to the hype, those going in with no expectations found it to be surprisingly decent with good sales.
Honestly from my experience if you have a good internet connection and you're not playing any sort of action game, streaming games is sufficient.

the internet infrastructure wasn't ready for that kind of streaming

PSNow?
is there anything else even

>google has the infrastructure, budget and technology for this thing
>pc gaming gets bigger as a platform
>vulkan + linux being pushed by google
>apparently 1080p60 to 4k60 streaming
>play on anything you own that can run a browser
>normies get pretty graphics
>normies don't have to go through the hassle of pc gaming
I mean there definitely seems to be a market for it and considering that Google is the company with the most data on consumers, they probably know that.
Whether it will take off or not is up to pricing and the way games play.

Attached: 1507274963318.jpg (400x400, 16K)

Nvidia has a service. Sony actually bought onlive I believe

>>vulkan + linux being pushed by google
Just like Android and consoles pushed for Linux, right?

I mean their hardware is literally running vulkan and linux for this streaming shit so obviously the games need to be built for it.

this and what Sony did to SWG is the reason I stopped spending money on Sony, I havent spent a dime on them since this

They tried to pull a Molyneux but failed to acocunbt for the fact that Peter Molyneux can do that because he's Peter Molyneux but these random putzes were just random putzes that nobody cared about. Their gambit failed, everyone was underwhelmed, and Sony bought them out.

Their proprietary system will run the game, that doesn't mean devs will bother releasing games to the linux clusterfuck just like android didn't mean devs would release their mobileshit to PC linux.

how are their systems going to run the games if the games aren't built for their systems
linux gaming is not magic these days and vulkan covers 99% of cross-platform functionality so it really doesn't matter once you start using Vulkan

Because making a Vulkan version of the game is not really an easy job and if devs/publishers decide to go with that, they might as well release that on Windows and Linux.

Actually there is literally no reason not to because there definitely won't be multiple versions just to have one locked to a OS when you can already make the game run on Vuilkan and offer both Linux and Windows compatibility at once, just with that API.

It does matter, consoles have been based around FreeBSD for like a decade now but no FreeBSD games yet, and even most game engines have ez Linux exports too but devs rarely bother with that anyway.
Why? It's clearly not a barrier of entry problem so what's the actual problem here?

The answer is there are no fucking linux players and linux is a clusterfuck of distros that constantly break down and have zero gaming support from the people developing these distros other than SteamOS.