Why do Nintendo games look like they have 10/10 graphics when you literally just upscale them...

Why do Nintendo games look like they have 10/10 graphics when you literally just upscale them? Even though it's clear they have bad textures and low polygon

Just look at this, it looks fucking awesome but apart from the resolution it runs on a toaster handheld

Attached: 1511765500534.jpg (1920x1080, 484K)

Attached: 1511816887870.png (1920x1080, 1.27M)

Good art style will forever trump realistic graphics.

All games look nicer with higher resolution but for some reason Nintendo games look perfect. You can do the same with Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime, they even hold up today in 1080p, especially Galaxy and that game ran on fucking XBOX 1 hardware.

Attached: 1511759958923.jpg (2560x1440, 935K)

>especially Galaxy and that game ran on fucking XBOX 1 hardware.

They could release it like this on PS4 today and not many would bat an eye. Like wtf?

Attached: RMGP01-23.png (1920x1080, 2.75M)

But many games have decent art style and still don't hold up as well. Like XIII looks like shit today.

>it looks fucking awesome

Attached: tumblr_inline_p4xln1tNuQ1spbq1w_500.gif (250x190, 1.62M)

>Metroid Prime
that fov though

It does, though. Just scale it up and it looks timeless.

>dat smooth grass

Attached: 1503561300682.jpg (1920x1080, 454K)

Attached: tp1.jpg (3000x1689, 3.47M)

I'm emulating MP2 with a widescreen hack and now it's actually great. Fov is still limited obviously, but it matches the cramped feeling of being inside a helmet.

stop projecting

uh oh looks like i broke the shitskin drone

Mario looks like shit.

It's not just higher resolution though. There are also contrast filters applied and whoever made the picture probably did downscaling.

Boy. If only it didn't take a genius to set up the emulator and game. Fuck your shill thread fag

yeah but galaxy at 4k looks better than odyssey

botw looks like shit, emulator improves it tenfold but even then you just see how ugly the terrain is

sunshine looks better and that's just really sad

They have to have eye catching artstyles to hide how shitty their games look on a technical level.

Optomization and artstyle, user.

it looks fucking weird when grass connects to a green ground

I'm sure that happens somewhere but not where I live, like the green shit on the ground is grass and the grass grows from like brown shit

of course I know that grass in botw has to be sparse as fuck

the textures looks weird on the low complexity geometry, like the rock on the foreground close to the camera, texture tries to convey detail that isn't there as it looks flat as fuck, lots of games do it, older games did it more obviously, botw looks jarring though

No. The problem is you are mistaking "realistic graphics" with the shit we have today. Technology only gets better with time.

Because over ten years ago we reached the point where graphics went into such sharp diminishing returns you only really need Wii hardware to make something look good. Everything else comes down to art style and the talent of your artists and coders.

>cel shading shit
>artstyle

way to go

The appeal of the artstyle itself, how readable the artstyle is, how well the artstyle is translated and how well the artstyle lends itself to the gameplay are the only things that matter.

Realistic artstyles usually cripple themselves on all fronts.

where are the textures?

Attached: 1549121536604.jpg (552x540, 37K)

Could you fuckers keep politics out of Yea Forums for five fucking seconds?

I don't know, realism gives off its own atmosphere and I've always despised these sides who somehow figure that there's some inherent issue with some particular rendering approach, how your game appears serves many functions

Can you?

Pretty sure many indie games have done something similar, and they're either shat on or for simplistic artstyle or they're largely ignored. You just have rose-tinted glasses on for Nintendo titles.

>apart from the resolution
That's the thing, that's a big deal. There's a massive performance difference as you go up in resolution, which is why on all consoles it's extremely rare to have games that actually render in 1080p, they usually render lower than that and then upscale.

Things like resolution, AA, etc. are the first things to be sacrificed on consoles.
This isn't a Nintendo thing, it's the case with every single console game that runs upscaled with no AA at 30FPS on consoles but on PC can be native 4k+, 16xAA at 120FPS.

there's some real bias if you think that's 10/10

How do people play with these shitty contrast filters on?

Attached: Cosmo ghoul.png (628x636, 248K)

>These are screens I made with Wii U capture card.
What about these ones ?
Are they from the capture card?

>Are they from the capture card?
No idea, they aren't mine. Probably from Wii U too, this game looks really good. Too bad it worst LoZ game.

Attached: 20170301191644.png (1280x720, 1.45M)

I know one in that image that isn't from either WiiU or Switch.

i was hoping someone was going to say this

Attached: goof.jpg (491x436, 20K)

Art design is more important than graphical power. Nintendo games push art design to the max. Mario Kart 8 is pixelated and looks bad in still images. But in motion, it looks amazing, because of the art design.

Attached: 1-1.jpg (620x349, 99K)

does fake HDR count as contrast?

Attached: botw clarity.jpg (2560x1440, 2.56M)

and that's why we have ugly ass rock covering an ugly as world as in doesn't look very good or convincing, having those low poly flat surfaces filled with textures trying to convey something that isn't there

because i definitely think it looks better than how washed out the vanilla game is

Attached: botw original.jpg (2560x1440, 2.14M)

Hence why I'm pissed at the "hardware doesn't matter fags". I'm not staring at rocks going LOOK AT THOSE SHITTY TEXTURES I just want proper high resolution not upscaled shit. I can't believe 720p is still prevalent in games when it's almost 2020 the future sucks ass

Attached: 1477515272779.png (566x582, 590K)

I don't stare at that shit either when it looks convincing, when it doesn't I see it

The game looks too dark with the contrast cranked up.

No it doesn't. Even running it at 4k on CEMU doesn't fix those muddy textures.

How come someone hasn't made a high res texture mod yet? It's been over a year already.

Fine, libshit: Artstyle will forever hillary realistic graphics.

But now you're saying art style will forever lose to realistic graphics, which is wrong.

night was too light, so i wanted it darker, its still plenty light during the day. contrast is fucking terrible, but i didnt turn up contrast in the settings. its the fake HDR setting, which i dont know the full difference of between that and contrast

Attached: botw.jpg (2560x1440, 3.64M)

>"its not photorealistic graphics therefore its bad"
god I fucking hate AAA zoomer casuals

Real talk.
Is botw one of the comfiest, most visualy and audibly appealing games ever created?

Good, distinct art-directing > technical brawn.
Always been the case, and probably always will be.

In many ways, Nintendo are still doing what most (good) devs had to do long time ago, when tech was very limited:
they get creative with the art-style, maximize the impact of every pixel.

kek

>it looks fucking awesome
Where?

>m-muh low poly surfaces!
get fucked. I'll take smart low-poly models with great texture work + normalmapping over "photorealistic" 3D scan models with 500k triangles wasted on a guy's beard alone.

damn it's almost like video games aren't real life

that looks like smeared feces though. literally 2006 first gen PS360 Oblivion graphics

me too but botw doesn't do it well, the rocks in botw look like mobile shit

the shit draw distance is the real issue in botw

almost as if botw looks janky as fuck

I hate all the new Nintendo styles so much. New Mario looks great though

Attached: 1534320317713.png (953x577, 1.19M)

for you

yeah looks so convincing...

convincing of what?

the visuals make the world look so convincing...

for you

well actually they don't

Because good graphics are, like, 70% lighting and colours. Polygon count and texture resolution aren't nearly as important

Oddysey is an open world collectathon.. if you enjoy doing optional shit then this is the game for you.
But when it comes to progression this game is over in a flash with some mediocre bossfights in between.
It did feature body control through the hat which sounds cool but really, you get something in return that simplifies the gameplay just to get access to some moons.

The parkour and tools in sunshine or the adventure and design of galaxy are much better than odd.