Give me the best JRPG to start with

Ive never played one before and i was thinking about giving one a try any good recs?

Attached: 267bd26b2d98b23a2cfc7407e0de92ca0b8dae41_full.jpg (184x184, 12K)

Wild arms 2
Or
Suikoden 2

SMT4

I would recommend Chrono Trigger, personally.

Earthbound

Lufia 2.

Final Fantasy 6

No, brainlets.
Correct.

Barkley
if you cant slam with the best, then jam with the rest

>Final Fantasy 6
>Chrono Trigger
i hear about FF and Chrono Trigger more than any other JRPG what makes these the best?

CT is just overall an extremely balanced experience and the perfect entry point for JRPG as a genre.
It's easy to pick up, has good overall presentation, timeless music, everything just falls into place.

Chrono Trigger is the peak of hardware and has an incredible number of hands in its development. it isn't my favorite game in the genre, but it is the best of the genre, no contest. i'd also recommend FF7, though 6 is my personal favorite.

Persona 5 is a very good ENTRY POINT. Gotta state that so I dont give JRPG fags a fucking aneurism. I know its not the best but it's good for newcomers to the genre.

They are what people think about when you say JRPG. They're turn-based, stat-based, and story-driven games with mostly linear progression and limited free roam.

ff7

Dragon Quest V on either the PS2 or 3ds

That is way too tough for a beginner.

Dragon Quest 11. It will ease you in to JRPGs. From there it depends on how far back you want to go. The farther back you go the less user friendly games get. In my opinion the snes/genesis era would be a good place to start as it was the beginning of the best era for jrpgs which ended with the PS2.

>Persona 5
i tried running this on rpcs3 yesterday couldnt get a stable 30fps so i dropped it may pick it up if i get a ps4 though

is the steam version any good or should i just get the OG version and run it on an emulator?

>ff7
ill try this cause ive heard a lot about this actually what do you like about ff7?

>Dragon Quest V
do the stories to these games link? i

>what makes these the best?
Nostalgia.
FFVI is debatable and memed because it did something that a lot of games should be doing in terms of world building.
CT is a good SNES rpg but nothing more.
Its not even the best on its system since Terranigma outplayed it easily, by being way ahead if its time instead of just being a decent jrpg like CT.

Both are fun games though.
If you want real big league players, play one of these:
>Suikoden 2
>SMT Nocturne
>FFVII or IX

These. Suikoden 2 is still absolute king and DQV the best in the franchise.
>do the stories to these games link? i
No. V is part of a trilogy that uses the same universe but they're not linked.

Phantasy Star 4. Easy babbies first but not near so patheticly easy that it'll spoil you you'll never be able to play anything harder without thinking it unfair, which is what you'd get if you played a Final Fantasy game.

It's a very good looking game too.

Attached: G5524newshots.jpg (600x442, 103K)

Xenoblade Chronicles.

>download dolphin
>download Xenoblade Chronicles HD texture pack
>run flawlessly
>?????
>profit
Its one of the very rare +90/100 nu-jrpgs, that also actually deserves it

Paper Mario

I would go with this, actually. Before people complain:
>The junction system is literally about equipping stuff to your characters; its not that hard, just different
>It is arguably the LEAST grindy game in the series
>The story is decent

Attached: Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg (220x215, 19K)

Bloodborne

hylics

Attached: gibby hylics sad cat.png (107x116, 13K)

Thank you for having good taste. It was my first and I still replay it every year or so.

Still, I'd honestly recommend Bravely Default for the job system.

Chrono Trigger is the correct answer, but the problem with that is it might spoil you for any future games.

It's like starting off watching Goldeneye before watching any other Bonds. It's good, really good. Possibly the best. It might be all downhill from there.

FF8 does things too backwards to be a proper introduction to the genre.
It was the PERFECT introduction to a very specific niche of people:

-high school/early college
-looking for gf
-not much experience with jrpgs
-into card games

That just happened to coincide with it's release globally (along with JPRGs in general being system sellers at the time) that made it perform.
Otherwise, right now, barely anyone can relate.

Dark souls

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars

>Xenoblade Chronicles.
ive seen videos on this and while i do appreciate the cute anime girls, the story and the rest of the game looks like weeb shit, the MC is like 12 isnt he?

>No. V is part of a trilogy that uses the same universe but they're not linked.
okay imma check out V ill get an iso now

>If you want real big league players, play one of these:
>>Suikoden 2
>>SMT Nocturne
>>FFVII or IX
which one would you say has the best story? im trying to find a game where the story is going to want to make me wanna play

>/early college
>-looking for gf
>-not much experience with jrpgs
>-into card games
lmao im that into card games now but everything else describes me lol

>Dark souls
i actually got a pirate of the remaster and im having trouble getting into the series i wanted to like it though

>Phantasy Star 4
hows the story?

If you're the type of person who's always in your own head, then you can relate. Its easy to laugh at Squall for being an angsty edgelord, but there were some moments with him that made me think "shit, I'm playing myself."

>im that
im not that* btw

>not Wild ARMS 3
nigga what?

Chrono Trigger is easily the best starter JRPG. Short, straight to the point, good story and peak graphics/OST for the SNES era.

As for other recommendations...
>Digital Devil Saga
By far the best entry point for the SMT universe. Story-driven, balanced difficulty, top-tier OST and very straightforward gameplay as far as SMT games goes. Nocturne/SMTIV are amazing games, but don't start with these.
>FF10/FF6
Both are the very good entry point Final Fantasy games. FF10 is the best entry point in the modern FF era, 6 is the best on the classic. FF7 is also a very good pick but when it comes down to being newbie-friendly I think 10 is much better. FF5, FF7 and FF9 are great games to continue on the series.
>Mother 3
Absolutely fantastic story and setting, full of charm and memorable characters. Earthbound (aka. Mother 2) is also a viable option and some plot threads from EB are relevant for Mother 3, but be warned: EB is a bit janky and is very, VERY slow-paced.

okay bros imma try this one and chrono trigger to start off then imma do ff7 thanks for the help guys

Attached: 19c3800963ce6e148463ce0b0a813e87.jpg (1920x1079, 746K)

Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger definitely. Although if you're a zoomer that grew up with PS3, these games will feel extremely archaic and simplistic to the point of pure boredom.

>hows the story?
Pretty good. Not very deep, or even slightly deep, but fun characters and a very good storytelling method in the comic panel cutscenes that frankly no game topped until fully voiced cutscenes became a common thing.

It's got it all, space ships, hovercrafts, a castle in space, robutts, evil gods, big fat hungry birds. Fun stuff.

Attached: 1465285961153.png (320x224, 12K)

They're not the best, but they're very easy to pick up

Get the OG. I heard the steam version was pretty shit. If you have a DS, get it on that. It is the definitive version.

FF7. It was the first JRPG for a lot of people.

FF7 has a good story, world, awesome OST, and is just fun all around. FF7 and Chrono trigger are both awesome starting points.