Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2-lRy8y08tA
youtu.be/a8uAUPGZb3I
youtube.com/watch?v=7dFHogx06p4
youtube.com/watch?v=Fdq7sDvIuLo
oddworldlibrary.net/archives/togg/index.php?/category/15/start-24
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

redpill me on oddworld

huh? Is this from the original oddworld devs?

its a good classic Prince Of Persia game.

Oddworld Inhabitants are making this, JAW is not involved

A video game IP that honestly has some of the best art direction and setting in the industry, and now they're going to expand the lore by recreating the original 2nd game(Exoddus) but, with a more fleshed out story they made the original Exoddus in 8 months, instead of their original plan which was to work on the next protagonist's game, namely Munch, thus the story wasn't all finished a la MGSV so some things were cut
This time around we'll get to see how Abe's destruction of RuptureFarms have an effect on the world, the economy, and the glukkon equivalent of the Illuminati
pic related, one of the members of the groups who has massive control over Oddworld
The game takes place immediately after the events of Abe's Oddysee/NnT and has Abe in control of the 300 mudokons he rescued from slavery
tl;dr A fantasticly underrated IP

Attached: SoulStorm_SealOfTheGrandLodgeDiggersGuild.png (1177x652, 1.21M)

youtube.com/watch?v=2-lRy8y08tA

save your bros from the evil bourgeoisie aliens, puzzle platformer where you have no guns, you have to use clever tricks to get by enemies or mind control them and make them spontaneously explode. you can fart and then mind control your fart and then fly it to enemies and explode and kill them

*cough*

Attached: oddworld-strangers-wrath-for-xbox-manual-in-nl.jpg (714x1024, 128K)

He cute

Attached: 4k Toby.jpg (3840x2160, 671K)

>pushed back to 2020

FUUUUUUUUUUCK, it was supposed to release in 2017, was pushed to 2018, 2019 and now this, what's taking so long?
I'm getting concerned, but at least the cinematic looks great
also check this shit out, looks amazing

youtu.be/a8uAUPGZb3I

Attached: shaman.jpg (1333x747, 103K)

THERE YOU ARE
>THERE YOU ARE

Attached: THERE (YOU) ARE.jpg (1024x696, 200K)

the remake was dogshit compared to the original which really kills any hype for me for any new game made by them. How are all the other games anyway? Like strangers wrath and that one with that weird thing in 3d

It's a 90s game that old people obsess about.

the remake was made by Just Add Water, they're not involved with this game in any way
New 'n' Tasty was OWI rebooting and getting the IP back out there, whilst also funding the larger and more ambitious Soulstorm

So, after NnT's release they said they would need to sell 250k copies of NnT to fund the next game
After they surpassed that milestone they placed a poll on their website for which game to make next
Some options were
>Stranger's Wrath 2
>Sligstorm
>Hand of Odd
>Munch 2
>Fangus
and
>Exoddus remake
Exoddus remake ended up winning the poll by a massive margin
They started out with the original idea to make a 1:1 remake of Exoddus, just like New N Tasty was to OddyseeI say 1:1 because its the same plot and the same environment, just with new graphics and slightly altered gameplay well the game sold far better than that so they decided to aim higher than a 1:1 remake and set off to turn the 2nd game into what it could have been had they not been tasked with pumping a game out in 8 months with Exoddus
After a while they decided the best option would be to complete the initial story they wanted years ago, thus redoing the canon

I think NnT was good, but only because Oddysee was fucking fantastic, I recognize the games faults, but to say it was dogshit is a bit much in my eyes

Attached: NnT 100%.png (994x385, 361K)

>darude sandstorm

>Bluedude Soulstorm

Attached: SSAE0004.jpg (1024x768, 67K)

I'm aware of all that, Soulstorm as it is now was still supposed to release back in 2017, and then 2018 followed by this year
from what I could find out Soulstorm started development in 2016, but whether that was just Exoddus HD or not I have no idea

anyway, I'd wager it's early 2020 if they were aiming for this year

Attached: 2018-11-24_13-16-38.gif (236x143, 717K)

>compared

I couldn't care how many times it gets delayed if the end product is absolutely amazing, and that LOOKS AMAZING
Long live OWI

nobody obsesses, that's why oddworld threads usually die within like 5 posts. they get talked up because they are great games (original 2 anyway)

It was a pretty average platformer back in the day, what 20 years ago?

It's honestly nothing to be excited about, since they are showing off no gameplay it's probably just more of the same.

youtube.com/watch?v=7dFHogx06p4

it wasn't the gameplay what made Oddworld good games.
it was the mechanics and the lore, specially the motherfucking lore.

it's not an average platformer at all though? it's more puzzle than platformer, and it's incredibly unique, there's nothing else like it in all of video games, honestly

>yfw you see a literal mountain of your ancestor's ground up bone dust ready to mixed into a drink but now its in HD

Attached: bonewerkz.jpg (640x480, 15K)

About damn time, with this pace we'll never see a full-on new Oddworld game.

Lorne said on the discord that after Soulstorm he wants to move on to part 3 of The Quintology, with 2 years of development time in between each game
considering how this is going though I think it'd be more like every 5 years

Fucking hell, with the new console generation at the gates the next game after this will look even more different and/or will take more to make.
I'm usually patient when it comes to development time, but this is slow as molasses.

Attached: 1532652341892.jpg (1058x755, 123K)

Attached: feecodepot.jpg (1665x396, 124K)

Attached: Oddworld - Abe's Exoddus (Europe) (Disc 1).png (500x500, 400K)

Attached: RAAE0095.jpg (1280x1024, 817K)

so is this supposed the be a sequel to munch or a reimagining/remake of exoddus? also are the mainline games oddysee and munch right?

exoddus was made in a short time frame, so there was a lot of ideas that didn't make it in. this is a reboot/remake/reimagining whatever you wanna call it, it's them having a second go at making the game with a bigger budget and no time constraints and independently published (i think)

Re-imagining of Exoddus, with new canon from here on out One cool new bit will be how we see the rest of Oddworld become effected by Abe's actions in the first game, pic related

The mainline games are Oddysee, Exoddus, and Munch, with Stranger being a spin off since it doesn't involve the 'quintology' protagonists

Attached: OH SHIT ABE DONE DID IT NOW.png (1920x1080, 1.33M)

i like the oddworld universe
apparently the guy behind it has written an autistic amount of the world already and hes just waiting to make games out of it

Good
That means the games will have elder-god tier setting, art, music, AND lore

Attached: RAAE0087.png (1920x1200, 3.22M)

What happend to these games. They were stopped being made after what, stranger's wrath? Wtf were the devs doing

lorne lanning is sexy

so is munch still canon or it's also going to get this treatment?

What the fuck? Wasn't this franchise away for like 10 years?

>Vancouver
>Mobile Conversions

What do they mean by that? Switch release or Mobile Phone game???

They were making this game, but they were so low on money that they had 2 options
1. Sell out to EA and become unironically soulless, even Lorne saw which way the wind was blowing in regards to EA back in 2006
2. Put the series on ice and wait to come back with something to reintroduce themselves

They picked option 2 and came back after almost a decade with NnT

I'm not sure, Soulstorm most assuredly takes place before the events of Munch since it picks up at the end of Oddysee/NnT
Maybe Munch will make an appearance at the end

about 9 years from Stranger to NnT if i recall correctly, the devs took the fake death pill from MGS so the vulture that is EA would leave Oddworld alone

Correct

Attached: Fangus.jpg (1020x1635, 1.46M)

Trailer looks ok but Im still holding back. Lets hope this one is has a realistic and gritty style just like the old ones. The new reboot was looking terrible. Too much light and bloom effects

Attached: Abe brap.jpg (3200x2179, 2.22M)

They are taking the criticisms of NnT's art direction into account with Soulstorm

>fangus
I want this game

>Mudombies
well shit we just got spoiled on Soulstorm

>Lorne said last month that he hopes to finish the Quintology, after 2 (Soulstorm) we'll move from the 3rd world and into the 2nd and finally 1st world, eventually arriving at Nolybab the cyberpunk hellhole

Cyberpunk Oddworld is all I need before I die

Attached: Nolybab.png (500x212, 148K)

When Lorne was on the OW discord he said he still wants to make Fangus

Attached: Dripek.jpg (927x1200, 297K)

>cyberpunk Oddworld
Holy sweet mary mother of joseph
user, are you trying to trick me again?

Attached: 1397431935895.gif (480x270, 2.86M)

>tfw Raymond Swanland the guy that did the Fangus art, designed Stranger and did art/backgrounds on Exoddus is working on Soulstorm

Attached: 1530036831570.gif (360x270, 423K)

what it was a state of the art 2d puzzle game.

>it wasn't the gameplay
>it was the mechanics

Attached: 1529532342024.png (1880x1164, 764K)

long term, the character of munch will probably return in some form, but i bet they want to leave munch's oddysee the game as a forgotten relic

>the devs took the fake death pill from MGS so the vulture that is EA would leave Oddworld alone
kek

Oddworld art is second to none

Attached: 1506117915280.jpg (2560x610, 206K)

really hard 2d puzzle game that had a 3d adaptation and then had a western theme that was really fun.
Basically all of the odd world games are about capitalism going out of control to where one is about making their workers into food, and then save endangered species and then stopping a dam that was taking all the water supply. pretty liberal messages here but they focus on the wierd aspect alot so the message isnt shoved down your throat.

oh shit nice catch

SOUL

Heart of Darkness

Attached: HoD.webm (720x480, 2.92M)

fuuck that sounds cool

so is stranger from Strangers wrath ever coming back? I actually enjoyed the Steef.

doesn't have the follower aspect, but yeah that's another puzzle platformer. it's a small genre

was munchs odyssey really that bad? I beat it when I was a kid and I had fun

Attached: RAAE0017_1-me.jpg (456x594, 110K)

>Exoddus remake
Fuck off with that glad they didn't stick with it. I want them to expand the Oddworld universe even more which was why I loved Stranger's Wrath so much. Another remake would've been uninteresting.

I never bothered with that it didnt seem to impact the story that much. But Strangers wrath didnt either.

idk i haven't played it but i watched like an hour of it and the 3d turned me off. maybe i'll give it a chance. the cutscenes were cool

this. I really like strangers wrath. I didnt like how Stranger had a tiny deer body but still was a cool dude. I wish he went back to bipedal

>HoD
>not AW
arent these type of platformers called cinematic platformers or something like that? at least AW is

Attached: thumb-1920-197989.jpg (1920x1200, 290K)

>always thought the weird worm-looking thing on Abe's head was just some alien shit
>turns out it was supposed to be a bunch of feathers the whole time, since Mudokons are evolved from avian-like ancestors, evidenced by

Attached: 333333.png (447x378, 15K)

love his face in this pic

not sure what to call them but another world was creepy as a kid

youtube.com/watch?v=Fdq7sDvIuLo

wtf brown and bloom oddworld NO NO NO

>cinematic
dropped

This already looks like another 5/10. Why do they consistently miss why people enjoyed Abe's Oddysee so much?

Attached: RAAE0101_1-me.jpg (456x594, 112K)

oh shit what if Abe made it to smash

It' s a great - kinda difficult - puzzle plattformer.

The remake screwed up the lighting, though.

I thought was just a patch of hair.

Attached: 1532979448909.gif (287x270, 3.9M)

>why is a desert brown and dusty

when the fuck will they release full-res pics of all this stuff

Attached: brewmaster_landscape.jpg (1384x328, 113K)

Didn't EA sabotage Stranger's Wrath by keep their game from being advertised or some shit?

Attached: CASS0001.jpg (1920x1080, 287K)

nice, you got anymore lad?

It has the same new n tasty problems of no weight to the animations, everything is globally lit with tons of light sources (look at the ridiculous lightshow coming from the brewery), tons of bloom and for some reason they thought it would make the game look grittier to make the camera lens dirty which exaggerates the lighting issues. They're making the same mistakes. It looks like these animations were designed for 30fps and changed later hence the lack of weight and rushed feel.

oddworldlibrary.net/archives/togg/index.php?/category/15/start-24

getting them from here, nice repository with full res versions of everything from the series it seems. click on an image and click the 'photo sizes' button on the top right for the full size pics

Attached: RAAE0011.jpg (300x400, 16K)

I'll give you that the lens dirt is pretty bad, but Lorne said on the discord he likes it (and bloom), another dev said that it's Lorne's vision to have lens dirt and bloom so it's staying

not sure why he's so obsessed with it although he did say it was a bit overdone in NnT, but lucky for us it's very easy to remove from the game, at least on PC, and the dev team seems very aware of how much people dislike it (at least 10 people mentioned it on the discord, almost guarantee there'll be options to disable it in the menus)

thanks

Attached: Molluck_Concept_Steven_Olds2.png (684x1000, 1M)

Attached: RAAO0033_1.jpg (1500x599, 608K)

Attached: RAAO0048.jpg (1920x1080, 127K)

>”take off them pants”
What did he mean by this?

They did send it out with barely any marketing budget.

On top of that it seems like there was something far more shady going on. Lorne has never outright said what happened but has made allusions to it:

>GC: I didn’t realise you didn’t get any royalties at all, I thought it was at least dependent on the publishing deal.

>Lorne: It is, but you have to audit to find out if that money’s legitimate or not. And so there was a case that we audited and gee, what do you know?

>GC: I think I can guess.

>Lorne: Millions and millions of dollars of error not in our favour. Now fortunately someone told us to do that, and did the same thing, and that’s ultimately how we got the company back. Because when we were able to prove that things were not what they should be then it was ‘pay us or give us the company back’, very simple. And so that’s how we got the company back, 100 per cent.

If Lorne hadn't audited the company before and after his deal with EA and found out whatever book cooking scheme they had going, EA would own Oddworld right now.

Makes me think of all the amazing game studios that sold out to EA and immediately turned to shit. Did they fall for the same shit or was no one aware of how shitty that company was?

Oh shit. The stuff they were doing for their ARG stuff back in 2017 makes more sense now. Clearly all these failed test subjects the Glukkons have stuffed in storage are going to come back to life.

Attached: mudombies.jpg (1909x1079, 223K)

>Fall for

So many people are so naive. When someone gives you 50 million dollars you don't care about the video game company you built anymore.

Is EA still doing the same shit today? Lorne should've gone 100% public

The same thing happened to Respawn. Titanfall 2 got released in between, Battlefield and CoD, the game flopped and then EA was able to pick up the studio at a fraction of the price

hell yeah!

I saw mention that gameplay has been shown, this true?, where to see it?

No gameplay, but they showed the UI in a talk about a year ago

not really, i think this is it, the one screenshot they showed and it's obviously not accurate, the game won't be played from that angle. also it was a while ago they showed this

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

This game is vegatarian propaganda! It makes the meat industry look evil!

oh great another movie

It's the worst entry in the series. The entire first half feels like a tutorial, the jumping's looser than gooseshit, the gamespeak's watered down, the puzzles are brainless and going for good quarm is disincentivized by tedious repetition.

Remember the part in the very beginning of the game where you have to precisely position yourself behind some six mudokons and toss each one over a foot-high fence so they can help you out? That sort of chore keeps showing up til the end of the game.

It is evil as fuck. Maybe not eating meat habits, although that's arguable, but you have to be an absolute asshole to argue meat INDUSTRY is not fucking wicked..

it is pretty wicked, ye. I love a radical burger or a groovy pork chop

>Platformer turned Pikmin
I'm honestly more annoyed by how they turned paramites(?) into fucking pigs
And while there's action sequences in the older games, 3D combat arenas are nowhere near as interesting or exciting.

Somebody's gotta do it or we wouldn't get our delicious burgers and sausage. They're just trying to make ends meat

it's a doggy dog world, after all

The best one (munch) is also highly underrated

>munch
>best
explain yourself

Uh... Mole's ass?

>SQUEAL LIKE A PIG

really, OWI?

Attached: 1920x1080_Wallpaper_Molluck.jpg (1920x1080, 147K)

So is this a new game or a remake?

see TL;DR, more of a reimagining, Exoddus was rushed out in 9 months and was more of a 'bonus' game, they didn't get to do what they had planned so they're doing it now using Exoddus as the spine of Soulstorm

Attached: 1506213159755.jpg (260x404, 38K)

They can be pretty trial and error at times but beautiful artstyle. Play Abe's Oddysee(original) first which is my personal favorite since the levels are more fleshed out. Despite not having quicksave it didn't feel unfair.

Exoddus is pretty good and having quick save is a godsend but I feel that they made the game a lot more bullshit trial and error especially for the levels where you're running away from scrabs/paramites that seems to be based on luck because of how inconsistent the AI is. Late game they try to pad it out with a bunch of hubworlds that have a collection of levels you have to beat and when you think you're at the end it throws another fucking hubworld filled with levels at you which got pretty tedious. It made sense for Oddysee because you were doing trials for 2 temples but when you make the last stretch of the game being like 10 of them it gets pretty old.

I have not beaten Munch's Oddysee because of how boring and bland it is. I think Oddworld Inhabitants had trouble trying to convert Oddworld gameplay into 3D and did a pretty bad job at it. At least the music is good.

Stranger's Wrath is a pretty awesome gem and very underrated. Oddworld Inhabitants pretty much got the atmosphere and visuals on point with this one showing a more western part of Oddworld and having pretty unique gameplay. It doesn't have high difficulty like the recent games but it's just fun.