FF VII Remake

Are you looking forward to playing the remake assuming that it actually comes out in the next year or two?

Do you think it will be worth the massive wait it's been almost three years since the announcement

Attached: VII Remake.jpg (1366x768, 188K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gameinformer.com/gdc-2019/2019/03/18/kingdom-hearts-iiis-critical-mode-is-coming-very-soon
youtube.com/watch?v=Li6VBOo-lq0
youtube.com/watch?v=cwRRxJAtTMo
youtube.com/watch?v=751njoWpw2U
youtube.com/watch?v=O89aoWprFaU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>it's been almost three years since the announcement
It's closer to 4 years.

Wasn't there a tech demo for a remake shown at the ps3 launch? In that case, it's been a fucking while.

FFVII was the game that convinced young me RPGs were cool, I honestly cannot imagine anyone making a good remake of that game, it was a product of its time.

Nomura is a hack and has bitten off more than he can chew. There is no way this game is coming out.

that was a "tech" demo to show off what the PS3 was capable of user

It will never come out

>Are you looking forward to playing the remake
No. I have no faith in nu-Square. In the past 10 years alone, they...
>completely fucked up FFXIII in nearly every way
>initially fucked up FFXIV before ARR
>allowed All the Bravest to exist
>allowed The 3rd Birthday to exist
>made sequels to FFXIII that no one actually wanted
>made numerous KH in between games before KH3
>nearly killed off Tomb Raider with Shadow of the Tomb Raider bombing
>nearly killed off Deus Ex with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided bombing
>allowed Life is Strange to happen
>allowed Life is Strange: Season 2 to happen
>allowed Vampyr to happen
>allowed Just Cause 4 to happen
>allowed Type-0 to happen
>completely fucked up FFXV in nearly every way
>almost killed off the Hitman series before the devs escaped with it from them
>completely fucked up Left Behind entirely
>allowed mediocrity like I Am Setsuna & Lost Sphear to happen
>resold older FF games at full price across all platforms
>finally released KH3, but it's a disappointment to anyone who isn't a nostalgia whore + blind fanboy
>allowed The Quiet Man to happen
The only legitimately great games that they've released since then are Nier Automata (thanks to Platinum), Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Octopath Traveler, and Dragon Quest XI (thanks to Enix), all of which were made on smaller budgets as well. Square, themselves, are a shell of their long lost former greatness and should, quite frankly, go fuck themselves.

Attached: zed13.jpg (125x124, 2K)

KH3...it hurts man, it hurts

I'm not really interested in it, especially since I've heard that they're going to release it in episodes over the course of a few years. Maybe I'll take a look at it when they finally release an "ultimate edition" with the complete game in one package.

Kh3 is better than every game on your list especially octopath traveler.

the episode thing was from 2015. Who knows if they are still going with that plan.

> another epic store exclusive
No thenks

I don't see why they wouldn't. FF7 is a gigantic game, if they want to include everything they'll probably either cut things or stick to episodes.

>completely fucked up Left Behind entirely
Wait, what? Since when does Square make games about insane American Christianity?

Attached: Left Behind collection.jpg (441x406, 40K)

>next year or two

HA, we haven't even had a new trailer. Heck, I'll literally bet $500 right now it won't be out in the next 5 years.

I think they'll cut a ton of stuff *and* release it in episodes.

considering the state of modern Square, the shitty state FFXV was released in (and still is due to having canned story DLC), AND VII Remake to be episodic, I am going to wait for everything to come out before buying it

Yeah, I guess my post was naive looking at it now.

It's been so long at this point it probably doesn't even resemble what was originally shown. If they're still committed to doing episodic then no, it'll be shit regardless of what they do.

I might pirate it when it comes to PC, but I'm not sure. The only reason I'd do so is to compare the new localization to the old one and see where the Japanese script changed as well, which I could just as easily do via Youtube, but it's always nicer to do yourself.

If the remake had a presentation on the level of Uncharted 4 or Red Dead Redemption 2, that at least would make it somewhat as impressive as the original (remember all the commercials that made the game seem like a blockbuster movie). But Square Enix can't pull that off. As for gameplay and story, I don't have much confidence there either.

Attached: 1505872806126.gif (320x224, 1.92M)

What I don't understand is why they choose this realistic style in a game where Cait Sith is one of the main protagonists.

No, I have no interest in playing a remake. I still enjoy the original due to nostalgia and know this won't be able to compete
You forgot to mention the shifted focus to mobile gacha games

No. Square hasn't released a good FF in almost 20 years. They put out ONE playable FF in that time out of 5 single player games. And it's just ok, not great or even particularly good. If 13 and 15 are indicators, it's going to be flashy shit where you tap or hold a single button and sparks fly everywhere letting you know you're awesome. Fuck that. Quadruple fuck that because they will release it in 4-6 parts at $60 each.

Let's not even get started on how they'll fuck up the music, add shitty voices (FF has never had a single good performance there) and cut out everything that isn't action. There is nothing left of the company that released 7 except the rights to the franchise.

>Let's not even get started on how they'll fuck up the music,

hopefully there is an option to use the original soundtrack.

but knowing modern Square, it's going to be DLC

>FF has never had a single good performance there

Come on, now. I don't like FF XII, but I can at least admit that the VA was good, both the English and the Japanese. No, not everyone's a winner, Vaan sucks in both, but others have some good VA.

I replayed the original last year. The story made me lose interest in the remake.

Yeah, actually. I love the world of FFVII. I even enjoyed Advent Children and Crisis Core for what they were. And the fact they are using a completely new perspective and battle system means it will be a fresh and modern experience and not just a graphics mod. I hope it's not vaporware.

Going to be a hilarious disaster

I'm not waiting for remake as SE have no idea how to do good battle system. For them turn base system like in old jrpg is to old and they are trying to do pseudo slasher/rpg system that is borning as hell or unplayable.
What I loved in jrpg was deep interesting world with a lot a stuff to find and tactical battle system that had a lot of customization and let me think and plan how to fight with a boss.
It is not that i'm nostaligic or something because there is a few jrpg that come out each year that haave a t least good battle system e.g. Atelier series

Attached: ffxv-battle-3.jpg (1600x900, 412K)

Same here. It was my first RPG, and it blew me away. In addition to showing me a new genre of games, the science-fantasy setting was also something I'd never seen before, and I found it to be really interesting. I'll always remember it fondly, but I can't imagine them doing a faithful remake in this day and age.

I will play out of nostalgia (FF7 was babby's first FF and the love of my gaming life when I was 12) and to listen to old tunes and check out beloved scenes in modern CG.
One has got to be an utter imbecile to expect this (or any Squeenix game at all) to be in any way "good". It will be trash, writing will be trash, gameplay will be bafflingly horrible.

>next year or two
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Thanks user I had a good laugh that was a really funny joke

I hope not.
If it comes out I'll buy it.
If I buy it I'll play it.
If I play it I'll be gruesomely disappointed and won't be able to look at FFVII the same way anymore.

It was a tech demo instead of a game to show off the PS3 not having games?

>being hyped for SE games after FFXV and KH3
Lmaoing at your life.

I literally beat FFXIII by pressing A repeatedly and FFXV is homo as fuck and No, I don't mean gay, the gays are fine, I mean HOMO. Like, bro get a goddamn haircut and stop penciling in your eyebrows

I'd welcome a different battle system in the remake, if they were changing it to a turn-based tactical system with movement around the battlefield instead of the hack-and-slash system they're apparently going with.

After XV and KH3 I dont want anything from Se

It was a tech demo that rendered a cutscene from FFVII in real-time. It was not from a game. Just a real-time animation to show off the GPU.

KH3 was alright.

Not the best game in the series but still passable. Going to wait and get info on all the DLC before I see if any of it is worth buying.

They wanted to show how much better PS3 graphics were, so they did it with a game that everyone remembered the look of, so they'd instantly do the comparison in their minds and be amazed at how far graphics had come.

It will turn alright only if they fix the lack of post game content and difficulty. As the game stands right now, it's a classic beat once and sell your copy kind of game. No replay value at all.

Not really. All I really wanted out of a remake was better graphics/touched up models and backgrounds, a cleaned up translation, and more content in the way of better battle mechanics, more materia, new areas, additional bosses, shit like that. Basically a REmake but for FFVII that retains everything about the original, cleans up the rough bits, and adds in some new content that fits right in with the old.

Instead the combat is completely changed to be a poor man's ARPG, graphics have gone full blown triple A height making for much more time needed in development, and it's supposedly going to be released episodically. Add to it, information relating to its development paint it as a total mess, in which looking at FFXV's development hell it went through, it will likely be equally messy upon completion.

I just wanted to play the game I loved without all of the jank, broken ass bits. I didn't want or need a game built from the ground up with entirely changed combat and likely being completed, with all "episodes", during late 2020. It's such a mess.

Attached: DDmbOKHXcAEVttO.jpg (386x376, 18K)

I did see that we are getting Critical Mode soon:
gameinformer.com/gdc-2019/2019/03/18/kingdom-hearts-iiis-critical-mode-is-coming-very-soon

but they didn't say when or if they will charge for it.

Optimistic outlook: by the end of April

I don't know how they're gonna handle the episodic format. It sort of makes sense because Final Fantasy VII was 3 discs. But I don't think it would do any good if they released only a 3rd of the game and you made you wait until another episode was finished.

No. It'll 100% be ruined and garbage. They'll change the combat and parts of the storyand dialogue.
It'll be as trash as XV

>Not really. All I really wanted out of a remake was better graphics/touched up models and backgrounds, a cleaned up translation, and more content in the way of better battle mechanics, more materia, new areas, additional bosses, shit like that. Basically a REmake but for FFVII that retains everything about the original, cleans up the rough bits, and adds in some new content that fits right in with the old.
And if they actually did that, they'd make a ton of money, because old fans would love it for being faithful to the original and new people would still buy it because of all the hype. They could've made a better product - and more money - with less work.

After playing FFXV and KH3 I am going to skip this shit

the way I see it, the episodes stop at some reasonable location (I can see episode 1 ending at escaping Midgar or the Kalm Flashback) and beating it allows you to carry over your save to the next episode plus unlocks some secret super boss in the current episode that if you beat, you get good shit

>I don't know how they're gonna handle the episodic format. It sort of makes sense because Final Fantasy VII was 3 discs.
But didn't the debug room show that each disc had almost the entire game on it?

You think they did do thorough focus-testing before launching the project?
Corporate decision-making may not produce good games, but it most definitely produces profitable products in most cases. If they're making it the way they do, it means that this is overwhelmingly more likely to sell more copies.

Exactly. REmake is always the best example of having the best of both worlds. Not only do you keep the spirit, and content, of the original, but you can clean up the rough shit and add in some new stuff that surprises veterans. For old players, you appease them by staying faithful and surprising them with some new tricks (new placement of enemies, new bosses, clearer story, new puzzles). For new players, you've created a smoother experience in understanding what made it such a phenomenal game with better graphics and easier to understand mechanics.

It's infuriating to me that remaking a game suddenly has to be the equivalent of making a new game from scratch. It bogs down development time, pisses of old fans, costs way more to make, creates bad press for new fans, and loses the experience that was gained through the old game that made it such a landmark thing.

Attached: 1503263300577.jpg (313x286, 71K)

Not that guy, but seeing Deus Ex Mankind Divided have microtransactions in it tells me a lot about their understanding of what actually sells.

The game earned them millions, thus doing its job perfectly. It being a bad game was tangential at best--it just meant they'd have to shelf the series for a while and focus on other properties, of which they have a truckload.

REmake was curated by Shinji Mikami, one of the biggest game designers in the history of the fucking medium. Not a horrid artist-cum-producer, not a chink board of suits, but Shinji Mikami hismelf. And it still felt like a huge step backwards for him and for anyone with good taste in games.

No one knows, considering it was taken back from the outsourced developers whom Squarenix gave it to to start development. They were unhappy about what game they were making, so it's very likely the game we've seen so far no longer exists. It has likely been restarted entirely and thats why there's been an info blackout since then.

I mean, can you really think of any other reason for such a long term blackout on such a prestigious project? You cant even compare previous games like FF15 and KH3 to this, this is quite literally the biggest remake of all time and overshadows anything you can compare it to. If there WAS something, we would have seen it by now. This is Squarenix's ace in the hole golden goose after all.

Attached: wat.png (328x614, 395K)

The game did well financially, but not to the degree where it'd be considered this big thing. Especially when it was clear they were setting up for a franchise, with the Deux Ex Universe shit. More importantly, the quality of the game isn't what I'm touching on, it's the choice to put microtransactions in a single-player RPG for items you can easily find in the game/are specific rewards for completing the game's content. As in they gave players the option to eliminate the entire joy of doing the content you bought the game for. It was an incredibly poor business decision and speaks volumes about their understanding of their market.

im always let down by everything now

They'are ALWAYS setting up for a franchise. Some things fall off, some catch on. That's why they buy up so many properties. Deus Ex died? Boo fucking hoo, they still have several entire catalogues of once-calssic franchise to murder.

>another shitty real time Final Fantasy

>it's the choice to put microtransactions in a single-player RPG for items you can easily find in the game/are specific rewards for completing the game's content
You are very naive. Young players especially would pay for +100 swords all day long instead of actually earning them. I work with kids and have seen this first-hand. When a ten year old boy finds out about some supposedly cool weapon hidden in the game, instead of trying to find it, he asks his mom for a fiver to unlock it. It's a completely valid business strategy to let people buy the KotR summon and purchase le epic Gold Chocobo for real money, because, despite there being a vocal minority against that kind of thing, people (especially kids, but not jsut kids) WILL pay.

It's gonna be shit, just look at Dissidia.

Life is Strange and Mankind Divided are kino.

Reminder that Mitsunori Takahashi, KH2's and KH2FM's lead battle planner is currently the lead battle planner of FF7R. So everyone who isn't a retarded "turn based only" autist, rejoice cause this will probably be the best ARPG combat since KH2FM.

Oh and LR's battle planner is also on the team so there is like 0% chance that 7R will have bad combat.

Attached: 48dp.gif (640x360, 1.95M)

>ff7r will be kh2 spiritual successor because osaka team trashed kh3

didn't see that one coming, I might actually buy it now

>Best ARPG battle director working together with best ATB battle director
Confirmed masterpiece

>it's episodic
>all this fucking waiting for Disc 1 and no promise of Disc 2

The remake is simply going to be a re-skinned version of FFXV that would cover 1/10 of the original game

>to show off the GPU

Please stop trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. Just omit words you don't understand next time.

I dislike two things about action combat.

>Every area in the world now has to be designed differently to allow enough space for combat to occur because you can't fade to an instanced battle screen
but more importantly
>Action combat in a party based game leads to a very awkward experience.

With turn based I'm playing the entire group, with an action based system I can only play one character and the rest simply run around and do whatever they please. Moreover SE has had a very difficult time figuring out what AI controlled characters should be doing in non turn based games lately, FF12 and 15 both had massive party member AI problems. If they want to make FF7 work with an action combat system they have to try extremely hard on a good non player controlled AI system as well as providing some sort of quick and easy way to switch between characters. XV kinda tried it but there wasn't much purpose or gameplay reason to switch party members mid combat.

I'll probably watch a stream of the remake just for the novelty. FFVII is one of my favorite games and I have no interest in playing a "reimagining" of it that's essentially a totally different game and being sold piecemeal.

Nomura will probably get Shimomura to do the music, who's one of the few composers who blows Uematsu out of the water.

A tech demo isn't an actual demo. Twilight Princess had one that looked nothing like the Gamecube/Wii version.

you'll be able to control all characters in 7R and they said all of them will play differently and will have their own weakness and things they specialize in.

> re-skinned version of FFXV
>different director
>different team
>different producer
>XV's director was fired

Nah

It has already been confirmed that Uematsu is doing the OST for 7R.

Careful now, don't piss off XV-Kun

fucked up the quotes

After being burned by KH3 and FF15, hell no. Still going to buy it

Uematsu hasn't composed anything decent for the past 20 years. He's just going to ruin the masterpieces he composed long time ago.

Better have the creator himself ruin his own work than have someone else.

That's nice to know but they could be the most enjoyable characters in the world to play as but if they don't have a good mid battle switching system and more importantly good ways to control and order the non player controlled characters around during battle then it'll feel like garbage.

I need to be able to issue commands to my party members to queue up attacks/spells/whatever while I'm playing another one with no interruptions.

I'm pretty sure he's "taking a break" from composing. Which kinda means retired most of the time in Japan.

I already know what you're gonna say to this, but did some really good shit for Granblue.

He only took a break in mid 2018 and said he will return at the end of the year. He is already back now if you check his blog.

No. After the game being in development hell and how FFXV fucked them over so hard it affected all other games, I'm not excited until they prove they got their shit together.

And no, I ain't one of those "KH3 worst thing that happened to me, killed my pet, fucked my wife" shitposters. If anything, I felt KH3 was a cry of help from SE, it was overflowing with potential that just needed a little more to be realized and it just stops before it gets there. I loved the game for what it did right but was disappointed on what it didn't do, not do badly, it just didn't do it at all.

SE needs better management and to never let the shitstorm of FFXV happen again. Until then I'm not excited for the remake. I'll check it but that's about it.

Attached: 1244628975618.jpg (951x1200, 330K)

How are they going to do the scene where Cloud gets gangbanged in a hot tub by a group of burly bodybuilders?

At this point, it's just gonna be a little trip down memory lane payed by my friends budget

She did an amazing job with XV in particular but she doesn't match Uematsu overall. Now I wouldn't mind having her do the 7R OST and musically speaking I think as long as the higher ups don't go full retard it might be the one part of the game they don't fuck up.

XV showed that Square still has some good musical talent, not just her. They had mother fucking Yasunori Mitsuda show up out of nowhere and drop some of the best music the series has ever heard, I enjoy Uematsu but they'll be fine without him if they choose to go that route.

> FFXV fucked them over so hard it affected all other games

Other way around actually, it was Square fucking up other games that caused XV to suffer and come out the way it did. Even though it's not that great quality wise it still managed to sell a fuckload so overall it's not that bad for them. Funnily enough FF7R is one of the games that caused XV to have issues, Nomura was pulled from XV early in development because the suits wanted him to make 7R and KH3 instead.

Same difference. Doesn't change the fact that a shitstorm happened because of bad management in the end. If you wanna blame others and not XV go ahead, I just want them to not make the same mistakes again in general.

He didn't decide to do this though? He knew it was being worked on, but also knew he had nothing to do with the project until they announced him as a director in the trailer , even he admitted he was caught off guard with that.

Umm, try again sweatie
FFXV's soundtrack is so bland, uninspired and forgettable that they hired other composers for the dlcs and put music from the original FF games to counter the terrible job made by Shimomura
She likes to use the piano way too much and the Omen track is pretty much straight out of Skyrim. The FFXIII trilogy may be dogshit that no one asked for, but I've never heard anyone complain about Masashi Hamauzu's score in any of the games. I honestly can't remember a single memorable tracks besides one or two that play in outposts (I think?) and at this point, Yoko should just stick to KH.

Attached: 1537170201395.jpg (2223x3387, 516K)

I was hyped when I saw the first trailer. Every bit of informatio that has come out since then has lowered my hype.

Pretty sure the plan is to still do multiple games "the size of FFXIII"
They're going to milk it for as long as they can.

Square is being very careful with FFVIIR, I think most people are going to be pleasantly surprised when it gets "rerevealed" in a few months.

Did the PS3 not have a gpu?

No. Square's no good anymore. They cant make a good game for the life of them

>great games
>Bravely
Nah.

i'll hope so, never finiished the game, this will be a good chance to actually play it.
judging by newest ff releases, they will fuck it up though.

Pretty sure at this point the real holdup is that it's a next gen console game and they obviously can't show it yet.

After FFXV and KH3?
Fuck no

Attached: 1552906546254.gif (330x166, 2.11M)

No because I haven't enjoyed a FF since the PS2. Clearly they're not for me anymore.

Besides if I want to play FFVII I can just replay the original just fine.

Come on there bro, there is a LOT to complain about with XV but the soundtrack is not one of them. You can even complain about how they implemented the music but the tracks themselves are top notch.

I wish they'd rip the band-aid and go full Devil May Cry instead of this weird compromise which doesn't have the depth of old JRPGs but also doesn't have the responsiveness and flexibility of a good hack'n'slash.

As it is it's the worst of both worlds, it doesn't require any skill but at the same time it's too clunky to really let you figure out cool advanced combos if you want to.

I think you're right about the implementation, when I listen to the soundtrack on its own I enjoy it but in-game the only memorably music for me is the waltz that plays on the open world. Nothing really stands out beyond that to me.

>You can even complain about how they implemented the music
Not him, that's my main issue with the music. Tabata is a terrible director and failed to compliment the atmosphere of the game with the music, lots of good pieces were completely wasted.

I liked KH3 for what it was but you're not wrong.
It's odd how it's the third parties who publish for them, Enix teams or their smaller studios seem to do better.
Can't really blame the merger too.

Attached: most.jpg (600x600, 67K)

Cocaine is expensive, man. Even more expensive when you pour it over an expensive whore and you have to use a diamond-encrusted golden paper straw to snort it.

t. Square Enix

what even happened to tri-ace?
propably the only thing that can save square
also, i liked vampyr, it was a fun game (not worth its price though)

>Episodic

Automatically kills the game no matter what it is. Imagine in DMC5 was released in episodes.

It's going to be full sized games, not tiny bits of a game. Each part will be the size of FFXIII was the example used, game journalists just went with the buzz word, because they're fucking retarded.

add left alive to the list

I couldn't have said it better.

Is Octopath Traveler really good? I have yet to play it.

Size doesn't matter, cutting the story up destroys any chance of it being an enjoyable experience.

>what even happened to tri-ace?
They're owned by a mobile company now, they're pretty much dead.

It's meh.

Life is strange was trash fags on here only liked because "muh purest love" and live out their tranny fantasy of being a ugly dyke in high school.

>in the next year or two

Damn, are you delusional.

Raine Sundyra on Faerie server is a lying fuck face of a cunt.

The length of the episodes doesn't change the fact that it is, in fact, episodic.
Unless they alter the story significantly I can't imagine how they could cut it up in small parts and still make it seem like every part is a full game that could stand on its own.

Actually they're lucky, the initial Midgard sequence actually could work that way but after that the game opens up and I'm not really sure how and when they'll end the second episode. Nibelheim maybe?

I agree with and , there were SOME tracks that fit in nicely in the game like Galdin Quay or that place with the lighthouse, but those are very few and far in between. Now take the Overworld theme for example, you have to wait like a minute until it kicks in, and you barely hear it since you get in a fight ten seconds in or you get in the car/chocobo and something else plays.
Again, special mention goes to the Skyrim-like trash that plays during the Leviathan boss "fight", that was some hot garbage right there. Tracks like the gas station country style theme and the slow and boring metal riffs of the Hunter's camps are inherently bad by default. I know this game is supposed to be a "fantasy based on reality" kind of thing but come on. Look, Shimomura isn't a bad composer, she simply didn't do a great job composing for this trainwreck of a game.

Attached: 1535994705392.png (582x536, 546K)

I feel that modern square has an almost disdain for turn based combat, the same kind of system that put them on the map.

They want to be open world, they want to be western and pull in the kinds of numbers that a GTA game pulls in, and in doing so, they become just another mediocre wannabe.

Stop ignoring what made you great, and improve on it. Don't throw it out of the fucking window, and don't chase trends from a few years ago.

It might be worth the wait. If it's taking so long, at least we aren't getting another reskin like most games.

Why are they trying to make FF into star ocean?

Star ocean already exists (the combat system).

how do you compose for a game that has no cohesive vision and no clear themes?

She herself said in an interview that Tabata would quickly approve of her pieces only to then come to ask more and more and more changes to be done.

Tabata just didn't know what the fuck he was doing with this game, he rewrote the story multiple times, cut out the second half of the game because of time limitations, erase a shitload of cutscenes that were shown in trailers, redesigned characters multiple times for no good reason, changed the combat 3 times etc etc

It's not suprising that his messy way of directing affected the music too.

By now its just another run of the mill turn based ff game. There are better ones out there nowadays, so no reason to be hyped

cringe

Yes.
No.
I still think it'll be good though.

PS5 game ...

I think it's worse than that, I think they always wanted to do these types of games, it's just that back in the days the consoles didn't have the power to do something at that scale. The limitation of old hardware is what pushed them to be clever and find the systems they used.

It's pretty clear if you look at how the games evolved, first they "weakened" the turn-based system with ATB (with the notable exception of FFX) then with FFXII they went full real-time and never looked back.

There's also the argument that JRPGs are niche now, especially in the west. I remember that back in the PSX days a new FF release was as huge as, say, GTA nowadays. Everybody at school played it, not just the nerds/weebs. Now a turn-based RPGs like FF VII would have no hope to sell the AAA numbers they're going for.

I'd love to see Square go back to turn based too, but I think they see it as outdated. Not many turn based games sell the 6+ million copies they seem to want.

FF7 is one of my favorites and I have zero faith in Square to get the remake right. It's already looking to be another button mash slasher. Besides that I expect they'll shoehorn in all the terrible Extended Universe shit and fuck with the story/characters and there is no possible way they don't fuck up the music.

Been a long time since FF was a good series. Square only publishes maybe 1-2 good JRPGs a year now, mostly they do action RPGs that are neither good action games or RPGs

>then with FFXII they went full real-time and never looked back.
Expect for XIII which wasn't real-time.

Hi I'm just passing through this thread and happened to notice FFXV OST discussion.
THUS, even though I've never played FFXV,
daily reminder that this
youtube.com/watch?v=Li6VBOo-lq0
got reduced to this
youtube.com/watch?v=cwRRxJAtTMo

Attached: life now.png (364x270, 102K)

Yeah, the blame shouldn't fall entirely on her shoulders, Tabata must've been an infuriating person to work with. Also, the music departament should also get a mention, they're the one's responsible of mplementing how the soundtrack is put in the game.
I actually wonder how many tracks were changed or omitted completely from the game

Attached: 1537230366216.gif (500x281, 124K)

How much of a faggot do you have to be to make this post and reply to yourself. No one likes the FFXIII games and Kingdom Hearts is for gay spergs. You're only further confirming that "FF7R" will alienate the normal fans of the original and pander to retarded kids like yourself.

Wasn't it? I can't even remember how that clusterfuck worked.

There's plenty of successful turn based games like Pokemon or Youkai Watch. They sell a lot better than action games.

Square's problem is they want to be all things to all people, so they have to appease the autists who want to mash and win. They're literally worse at games than Pokemon babies.

It was a form of ATB.

I remember watching the first trailers with Omnis Lacrima in it.
When the song was about to finish at around 4:03, you'd think it would close with a major scale, but then it shifts into a minor scale, while the screen has that Shakespeare quote " There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so".
I've always liked to think that Shinomura was told of that idea by Nomura, and put that in the end of the song as a little experiment.

I agree with the parent that having multiple party members makes the combat a clusterfuck. Being able to switch being characters is nice but it doesn't solve the issue.

It's one of the (many) issues with FFXV for instance, most of the time you simply don't know what's going on and you have to rely on UI prompts to parry effectively (or maintain the parry button and be effectively invincible). It turns what could be a fun game that rewarded learning the enemy's moveset into a cheesing game where you spam the same attacks over and over again.

Handheld games have different standards, plus Pokemon is Pokemon. They could shit in a cartridge and it would still sell.

The OST overall is about 90% top tier music, as everyone agrees they didn't implement it into the game well with poor balancing and odd overlaps/choices but the music itself is phenomenal.

She did an amazing job of dealing with Tabata and his lack of direction and vision and put out music that captured the setting. My choice for 74/FF16 composer would always be Mitsuda but I'm totally fine now if they give it to Shimomura seeing what she did for 15. Mitsuda did slap us in the face with the best battle theme in the series though during the XV DLC.

Like I said in , I know that Shimomura isn't entirely to blame. Shit like is unforgivable though. Also, are you reffering to the Gladio dlc? That dlc had a really banging soundtrack

Attached: 1536735830483.gif (320x240, 572K)

I got the PS1 remake i really wanted.

Attached: 0F16A4B1-AE7C-4EDD-AFBD-5D701432C221.jpg (1920x1080, 597K)

Gladio was the guy from Nier, Ignis was Mitsuda. Frankly i'm amazed they haven't really used him since Xenogears/Chrono Cross.

youtube.com/watch?v=751njoWpw2U

Eh, I'm interested to see what the first episode is like. If I don't like it I just won't by the others. Midgar is the best part anyway, so it would be a good litmus test to see if they'll get the best parts of FFVII right or ruin it horribly.

Attached: d1xBznr.gif (300x300, 891K)

>I actually wonder how many tracks were changed or omitted completely from the game

What's even more interesting is that she said that only 1/3 of the pieces she composed for Versus XIII were released.

Aside from Omnis Lacrima (which got butchered) and Somnus (which again got butchered) i am willing to bet that Valse di Fantastica and this one which was only used once in the main game youtube.com/watch?v=O89aoWprFaU
are actually pieces she made for Versus XIII.

God damn Versus, I wanted that game so bad, but it'll never happen.

Attached: versus.jpg (1920x1080, 131K)

The ride isn't over yet, user

Attached: versus leaks.png (1635x2359, 3.07M)

More autism

Attached: versus autism.jpg (1280x1200, 311K)

what did they mean by this

>No one likes
>"samefagg!!"

Holy shit this is "ZOOMER: THE POST". I don't give a shit if no one likes LR or KH2 because the majority of the people who play video games are casual pieces of shit who know nothing about good combat and LR/KH2 have great combat.

I also don't give a fuck about the original fans who like braindead ATB's like ff7's.

>Are you looking forward to playing the remake assuming that it actually comes out in the next year or two?
No because it's going to be utter trash! they will gut it and destroy everything that made it good. Also releasing in parts? fuck off cuck enix!
(not turn based)
into the trash it goes!

Not really looking forward to playing it as much as I am looking forward to seeing how much Square fucks it up.

That Nomura will never let us off his wild ride. I've been on this shitshow for over a decade. I just want to go home.

Attached: more versus speculation autism.jpg (1242x2123, 639K)

Nah I'm done, I can't do this anymore. Nomura needs to let it go.

>zoomer calling others zoomers

When I saw the Verum Rex trailer ingame I got a hearty laugh out of it, Nomura was sticking it to them pretty hard. When that shit popped up in the secret ending though... I still don't know what to think. I'd love an actual remake of XV/Versus because it really does have potential for greatness but would they ever actually let him do it while 7R is still their main focus?

See ya tomorrow user

Attached: whadya mean.png (593x712, 352K)

>Generation Z peasant calling Generation X-sama a "zoomer"

Attached: 1542987526945.png (1457x1080, 729K)

Attached: nomura-san shortly after being sent a memo that his dream game is being cancelled again.jpg (500x512, 80K)

This is going to suck, it's objective fact with no alternative timeline.
nu-Square a.k.a Square Enix can't make good games anymore, they don't have the talent to make it happen. They have a fantastic art department, but they don't have the game designer talents to complement it.
We will receive a netuered game like FF15 and 13 at best, and that is already a terrible proposition.
It's best to just forget about it, maybe play it for a little for the laughs when it releases 5 years from now, and that's it. It is meaningless wasting energy on keeping up with news, following the development and hyping yourself for it, because it is 100% guaranteed that it will suck.

I'm also a little concerned about this as well. The game honestly would've benefited a little better if it didnt go with a hyper-realistic look. The original was based in an anime style so there will be some awkwardness with the new style they are going.

>Nier Automata (thanks to Platinum), Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Octopath Traveler, and Dragon Quest XI (thanks to Enix), all of which were made on smaller budgets as well.

This is it, SE should fuck-off from AAA game and stick with their own stuff.

You really want to buy just the final dungeon at full price user?

Not sure why anybody wants it

Ff13 is shit
Ff15 is shit
Type 0 is shit
All phone ff games are shit

Man you guys have beaten wife syndrome

Attached: 1551590671555.jpg (775x958, 82K)

Shinji Mikami literally got bailed out of a bad game with all of his crazy ideas for OG RE1. He is the most overrated video game designer of all time.

>3-4 years is a massive wait for an AAA JRPG

are you crazy? DMC5 took 4 years and it was a 5 hours game. Modern AAA development time is 3-6 years on average, due to standard polish levels, 4k asset creation, game direction, mo cap, rigging, voice acting etc.

Attached: 4DC8979B-B40B-4884-9F76-F4456447E372.jpg (1152x781, 164K)

The original FF7 took 4 years to make, E3 this year marks 4 years since 7R was announced and in those 4 years they've shown absolutely nothing on the title.

Square used to run such a great schedule that they managed to release multiple high end RPGs every single year, it's quite a big drop.

None of these were made by the FF7R team

Disc 3 was pretty much only a few sidequests and the northern crater. The rest of the data was the ending cutscene.

The problem with remakes is developers don't know who to target. Do they want to please the fans of the original game and stay true to the original gameplay/art style, or do they want to reimagine the game for a new generation with more modern gameplay and aesthetic sensibilities? Remakes/ reboots, in all medium, usually end up failing to capture the same spark as the original and are forgotten soon after release.
Resident evil 2, and REmake for that matter, had great care and attention to detail applied during the fans love them.
It also helps that the resident evil games are fairly modern and were at the forefront of modern gaming, which fundamentally hasn't changed all that much in 20 years.
Final fantasy 7 doesn't have that benefit. It was always a weird hybrid. A hybrid of modern graphics applied to, even then, decades old gameplay mechanics. Which way do they go? Another coat of paint on now 30+ year mechanics or full teardown ff7 skin on modern style rpgs?

The original FF7 had zero HD assets, do you know how long it takes to make a single zone in a modern triple A game compared to making a single zone in a PS1 era triple A game?

Am I really talking to people this tech illiterate?