JRPG Thread

Let's have a JRPG thread!

What are you currently playing?
What are you looking forward to?
Favorite JRPG?
Post screenshots and lewds

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 227K)

I'm playing pic related.

I just realized there was a missable quest and I fucked up and now I can't go back and grab it anymore. I'm fucking pissed... Why do games do this?

Attached: 45f8b47dd0f66c0b5971ad9f87c27bb31b5fec9f.jpg (616x353, 56K)

This doesn't need to be a 24/7 general, user

Imagine actually talking about videogames in a videogames-related board. Better talk about trannies and resetera instead!

I agree with your sentiment, but it doesn't invite quality discussion

>quality discussion
>on 4channel

Attached: 1536973339476.jpg (777x777, 233K)

>currently playing
dragon ball fusions, I'm enjoying it quite a bit
>looking forward to
the dragon quest monsters 2 remake fan translation to be finished
>favorite JRPG
skies of arcadia legends

Not much has changed.
>What are you currently playing?
Beginning EO Nexus. Also have SMT IV Apocalypse going almost to the end of the Cosmic Egg, and I'm considering NG+ in The Alliance Alive.
>What are you looking forward to?
The Alliance Alive HD. I fucking love TAA.
Going to order PQ2 soon.
Not much else as far as I know, maybe SMTV.
>Favorite JRPG?
Difficult to say. As far as recent ones go TAA has been the clear winner for me, but the original Shining Force will always have a special place in my heart.
>Post screenshots and lewds
I don't really have any.

Attached: EOfencermagicalgirl.jpg (476x640, 101K)

Persona SUCKS

This, Devil Survivor are the only good Persona games

Attached: Persona.png (1636x988, 284K)

Record Breaker is my favorite MegaTen I've played. I wonder if the feedback on the survey might lead to DeSu3.

Hyperdimension Neptunia VII
>Favorite JRPG?
Final Fantasy Tactics
Digimon Survive

Attached: 20190318120517_1.jpg (1680x1050, 303K)

the last couple threads were good, though.

Attached: baofu.gif (500x278, 280K)

>can sell items for higher than the cost of the raw materials
>get infinite money
kek

>current
Suikoden 2 and having a blast

>favorite
Ffx due to massive nostalgia boner

>looking forward to
(Re)discovering the classics, hoping the genre moves away from being weebtrash waifu simulators
Recommendations in that regard?

My pet theory is that they tried simulating how your doing shapes the world around you.

>Favorite JRPG?
Better Question; WHY do you like your favorite RPG?

I enjoyed Nocturne, because I didn't have to put up with leveling the boring party members that I never use, or even have to put up with their stupid shit.

Attached: 1530455441959.gif (254x254, 267K)

They should put Chrono Trigger in Smash
Chroni Trigger is a cool guy

Who wants to chill in this comfy looking hot spring? :D

Attached: just a nice hot spring.png (240x160, 10K)

Wild Arms, the Trugun RPG

mother 3.
i love the world so much.

>jrpg general
TITS on steam when

Been a long time since I saw this meme

*whimper*

Attached: boney.png (240x229, 2K)

Why won't you get in?

Recently got hugely into JRPGs after having notnplayed any in years, so im going back and looking into older games I may have missed.
Right now for DS im considering grabbing SMT: Strange Journey and Radiant Historia, can any anons whove played em let me know if these are good games to grab?

They're both alright.

T o r n a

>Currently playing
Stardew Valley, but not playing any JRPG's at the moment. Last one was Dragon Quest XI, but I find it hard to keep interested in them, they take too long, and I feel like I outgrew them or something, they're just so childish most of the time. :(
>Looking forward
Nothing in particular, maybe FF7 remake.
>Favorite JRPG
Suikoden II

Attached: 20180923194412_1.jpg (1920x1080, 425K)

Would you recommend them at all? Ive never played a SMT game so im kinda interested to see what the series is all about

It has a cult like following and quite unique mechanics while retaining a lot jrpg basics

It's one of those series you have to try for yourself

Aha, I'm also playing Trails in the Sky, except that I'm on the 3rd chapter. God, the difficulty can be stressing sometimes, but I can't deny it been a fun romp so far. Although I began playing Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, so it's slowing my progress from 3rd, heh.

I actually took the time to compile pic related's monologues since... well, I don't need to say he's just incredible and deserves so.

Attached: 20190311174520_2.jpg (1920x1080, 231K)

Alright well i found a new copy for like 16 bucks, might as well pull the trigger

>game has no fast travel

Attached: 1515832741903.png (800x605, 614K)

I'm playing Octopath right now. It's a good game to play before going to bed

>Would you recommend them at all?
Neither of those appeal to me personally but they're not what I'd call bad games.
SJ is fairly classic mainline Megaten for most things though I personally recommend playing the remake because outside of the questionable quality of the new content and new art it fixes a bit of the mechanical problems of the original.
If you never played a SMT before it's a decent starting point as it keeps the usual dungeon crawling from the classic series, although it makes it a bit more focused than usual, it also puts a brake to Press Turn bullshit so it plays a bit more like the pre Nocturne games while still keeping the typical PT rewards.
The setting is also fairly unusual for a mainline Megaten since it doesn't take place in Tokyo like the rest of the games, story and characters are average SMT fare, but it has the best Neutral rep and route in the franchise, and is probably the only truly Neutral biased mainline Megaten, at least, the original release is.

As for RH, it has a fairly competent battle system in theory, though not always in practice, if you happen to like it consider playing games with similar systems like Grand Knights History.
Characters and story are uninteresting if you ask me, never got why people in this place have such a boner for Stocke either, but considering the average well loved JRPG MCs in here it's not that much of a surprise.
It also has time travel shenanigans, which luckily amount to something in terms of gameplay so it has some replay value.

Still, they're decent games which you'll probably enjoy, SJ might take a while to get used to given how it's your first SMT but if you've got some basic Dungeon Crawler knowledge it won't be hard to attune to it.

>It's a good game to play before going to bed
...because it's boring enough to put you to sleep?

Thanks a bunch user, ill grab both and report in a future jrpg thread

>Currently playing
XBC2. Just unlocked Pneuma, and this area is fun to explore but I hate having to deal with these fucking enemies without my favorite party setup. There's also a ton of quests and merc missions I'm trying to catch up with, slightly overwhelming but enjoyable and not a chore thankfully.

>Looking foward to
SMT 5, DQ11 Switch port, P5R news, and going to finish Muramasa Rebirth's DLC now that I finally repaired my Vita, been looking forward to this especially.

>Favorite JRPG
Tough call, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir for the aesthetics and fairy tale/fantasy setting and nice characters with serviceable combat or Etrian Odyssey 3 for the surprising amount of plot/choices for a series that prides itself on gameplay over story elements, great class system even if it is exploitable and questionably balanced ontop of getting me open minded about DRPGs.

>Screenshots or lewds
Have some art instead

Attached: 58514215_p0.png (1200x1450, 1.25M)

I love Chie so fucking much bros, it hurts she's not real

Not him but do note that Strange Journey is a first person dungeon crawler, if that matters to you.

I can't speak for Radiant Historia but as a fan of Megaten Strange Journey isone of the entries in the entire series. It may feel a bit awkward as your first entry but once you get settled you get a fantastic game.

Attached: strange journey.png (764x1070, 1.34M)

I just finished DQ5 on DS, my first DQ.
Really enjoyed it. Good pacing, not too long, endearing story.
I'll probably play a SMT game now but I'm excited to try DQ11 now that I'm familiar with the series.

Playing XBC2, just beat the game and kind of at a loss for what to do. The development for every area is still only 2/5 so I assume there's an extensive post game but right now I'm leveling FUCKING URSULA

Playing through Vesperia once for every playable character in order to master all of them
On a Karol run right now
At just over 300 hours
It's literally crack in video game form

Attached: 61ysM4AQT2L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x844, 62K)

This gem.

Attached: destiny-connect-boxart.jpg (611x1000, 75K)

>so I assume there's an extensive post game
There really isn't.

A word of advice: DQ games from VII onward are really long. You should try other games first, such as III (GBC version, or translated SNES remake). Just a suggestion.

Is this out already in Japan? It looks comfy as fuck

Next month I think, Western release this fall.

Replaying TWEWY. God, I love it’s battle system. You guys got any ARPGs to recommend?

Attached: 88AF330A-DE5A-44B8-A835-757CC2748777.png (744x594, 590K)

>game requires you to collect special book chapters through the entire playthrough to unlock an ultimate weapon
>you can easily miss these books
>if you talk to the wrong NPC at the wrong time you miss the reward forever
Well fuck you too game. I'm considering just dropping it now because this shit pisses me off so much.

Attached: bce.jpg (756x419, 27K)

Shut up fucking f aggit shi tlord

What are your personal hidden gems?

Mine is the first Dragon Quest Monsters for gbc:
A Dragon warrior spin off which takes on the monster taming genre.
It realeased around the time of the Og Pokémon and is easily able to rival the first two gens in terms of gameplay and polish.
Too bad it flew a little under the radar

Nice, TWEWY is also one of my faves, can't get enough of the pin variety and eclectic soundtrack. If you're into ARPGs, the Ys series is an underrated goldmine.

Lemme guess... you missed a volume of Gambler Jack or Carnelia in Trails in the Sky?

I love TWEWY for it’s combination of Jet Set Radio-esque atmosphere, great story and character development, and CUHRAZEE gameplay.

Attached: D13D055E-B5F6-4EA7-901C-528874EFCD6B.jpg (512x768, 158K)

I love Mario 3, my favorite hidden gem. :^)

Attached: fugg.jpg (632x948, 83K)

I missed chapter 3 of Carnelia in TiTS. You're apparently supposed to talk to Olivier multiple times *right before* going to see Morgan, and ONLY then you have to talk like 3-4 times in a row and THEN talk to another guy to get the volume. Literally a time window so fucking short I'm just omega mad now.

>not already talking to our based messenger of love and peace multiple times whenever you get the chance
cringe and monsterchestpilled

Attached: 1528825440927.png (981x378, 796K)

Carnelia books are not really important, you trade them for a weapon for estelle or joshua way too late into the game (i think) and if you want the achievement then you need both weapons but you can save, pick a weapon, reload, pick the other weapon and you still get the achievement

I'm playing this.

Attached: title.png (640x480, 575K)

Ha... the same happened to me in FC, but with chapter 10. Who knew I'd had to go to the airport and search around the Arseille for a guy to give it to you? But then again, that was during a tense part of the game (the curfew), so cowardice might've had a part.

Still, I knew better in SC and looked up the locations this time. One of the few times I don't wanna miss out on something good.

The funny thing is that I actually did. I have been trying to talk to all NPCs multiple times every time a big story event happens. I don't want to play with guides or walkthroughs because that's just lame, so I just make sure I talk to everyone all the time.

However for this specific thing you need to talk to him repeatedly like 3-4 times and THEN talk to another guy in the bar, but only *right before* you go talk to Morgan. My problem is that I talked to that other guy first since I always leave people that seem to be looking like they are relevant to the story for last to talk since I don't want to trigger event flags... so I talked to this dude and THEN I talked to Olivier a few times and then left.

Just fuck my shit up senpai

Attached: 342621356311.jpg (606x326, 93K)

Oh, and by the way, the same thing HAPPENS in SC, just so you know. I'll leave it up to you to find out when that part is. or just look for the guide

Attached: 20190127153450_1.jpg (1920x1080, 549K)

What if we made a general on /vg/? Just curious.

On topic: Is Legend of Legaia worth my time?

No on both.
Legaia's standard battle theme is really dope though, I'll give you that.

Attached: RPGs.jpg (2000x1952, 735K)

I appreciate the bump effort but you'll have to try harder than that user.

I'm playing Star Ocean 2 for the first time. Pretty fun so far, psp version too.

The Alliance Alive.
Luckily it's getting multiple ports this year, so maybe more people will play it.
I still recommend giving the 3DS one a go though, great game.

There was one but nearly everything branched off to their own general plus there was a shitposter spamming spoilers for every fucking upcoming game and the mods would do nothing to stop him.

GUYS
GUYS
BIG QUESTION

Is Megaman Battle Network an RPG or not?

Don't think this technically counts, but you mentioning a DQ spinoff reminds me of this game.
This is genuinely the most fun game I've ever played in my life.

Attached: DragonQuestHeroesRocketSlimeBox.jpg (250x225, 21K)

Terranigma
No idea really in terms of JRPGs.
>Favorite JRPG?
Terranigma

Spoilers weren't even the worst part until they started spamming scat and guro non stop for weeks.

I'd say so, yeah, what with the multiple customisations and builds you can use to get through the games

Megaman Battle Network is an RPG hybridized with a card/deckbuilding game. Some turn based tactical RPG gameplay is also present in the series.

>been waiting for the 3ds game to get translated as long as I have been waiting for Bannerlord

Attached: 1416009438805.jpg (465x411, 22K)

I heard they made some progress but I haven't seen anything. I don't think it's coming user.

I guess I got out before that stuff happened

Anybody knows what this guy is trying to say?

Alright, I'll try out later on, then, mostly because I'm intrigued as to how a Megaman RPG would work plus the cult that arc has developed.

Attached: 1543431018397.png (640x894, 382K)

If you wanted something more RPG like there was that Megaman X command game on PS2

Feel free to drop 1 at any point: that and 4 are considered the worst games according to the MMBN fandom.

eh, nah

Definitely this. For some reason, MMBN1 feels like an unfinished beta of what the first game should be. Really clunky and not worth playing compared to the later titles.

BTW, any out of the ordinary recommendations in terms of JRPGs? Maybe something on SNES/PS1 that's not all that popular? Doesn't have to be turn based specifically. The last game I played was Terranigma. Maybe anything that was translated recently.

Utterly based.

Attached: WRPG settings vs JRPG settings.jpg (2000x3000, 985K)

Stop samefagging WRPG-kun, no one cares about the inferior games on the left.

Cope.

Attached: Difference between WPRG and JRPG turn based combat.jpg (1000x876, 203K)

Started playing SMT if...
My second SMT after IV, played Persona 2-5 though

I feel like if I hadn't played the series before I'd have absolutely no idea what to do, and enemies being represented by symbols is dumb, fucking Dragon Quest on the NES could even display all the enemies at once, what is with that?

Attached: 26959204_p0.jpg (1800x3240, 981K)

Make a thread about WRPGs without including the superior and more beloved cousin (JRPGs) and enjoy your 0 replies :)
Keep seething at superior games though, that seems to be the only way you like to spend your worthless life day in and day out lmao.

>BTW, any out of the ordinary recommendations in terms of JRPGs?
Check the SaGa games if you haven't already.
There's quite a few unique games on both SNES and PS1 but most of those remain JP only in the PS1's case.
Even so, AsciiSoft's library for the SNES is a good starting point for unusual, short JRPGs in terms of mechanics or setting, I usually recommend playing Dark Law if you don't mind a bit of punishment, it also has a decent ENG patch.

Stop responding you fucking imbecile.
What do you think you're proving, newfag?
You're only giving them fuel.

Has anyone played The Last Remnant? How is it?

Pretty good, a shame it resulted in Mistwalker going under cause who plays jrpgs in the Xbox360?
Besides me that is.

Essential ludocore.

I wouldn't recommend playing the SNES megaten games unless you are already a big fan of first person dungeon crawlers and have completed most of the more modern games of the genre

Many thanks. I tried some of the SaGa games and couldn't really get into them. I should try Dark Law.

i'm hyped for it too, but i'll be getting it on ps4. after enduring the frame rate in the caligula port, i'm never buying another nisa game on switch.

A SaGa game, with all that it entails.
Not for everyone, but if you're that kind of galaxy brain autist who loves to juggle around with party builds, weird mechanics and general metagaming you'll like it a lot.
It's also one of the very few RPGs that actually deliver if you want massive battles, and I mean fighting about 40 enemies on average.

God tier music like all SaGa games too, and most characters are really cool, mind that it also has a metric fuckton of references to the main series, which you won't catch if you're not a fan, but add extra depth if you are.

Attached: The belligerant man of brawling.png (1364x768, 940K)

I do like the genre, I love Etrian Odyssey. I like the difficulty and getting lost, only issue is the map being in a menu but it's not that big a deal.
Only thing that's confusing is I have no clue how alignment works.

speaking of rpgs on the 360, why doesn't blue dragon ever get talked about as much as the last remnant and lost odyssey?

Attached: WS000202.jpg (1920x1080, 176K)

jesus christ the guy from deep purple sang its boss theme

>For some reason, MMBN1 feels like an unfinished beta of what the first game should be. Really clunky and not worth playing compared to the later titles.

and the DS remake doesn't fix some of the issues MMBN1 had, like the really bad internet map.

This.

Because it was trash and didn't even manage to look good, which was LO's saving grace.
Multiple games, an anime series and the only thing people remember it for to this day is that one battle theme with Ian Gillan's vocals, that's just to give you an idea of how massive a blunder it was.

How did it manage to run so poorly on the 360?

>Why do games do this?
They used to do it because of contracts with guide publishers. Nowadays, I think it's just an old ingrained mindset that they haven't thought through recently.

It was a mediocre experience on the 360.
The customization is bare bones, party control limited. Tbh it's little more than a demo for the pc version.
On the other hand i have heard great stuff from those pc folks who are able to appreciate it like

Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Thought I was nearly done with it, but there's a whole extra scenario after the true end that I haven't had time to get through. I love the game though, I don't understand why it gets so much hate. Sora is best playable girl. It would be Rion, but her tits are too big.
Not even sure what's coming. I can't think of anything off hand that's new that sparks any interest. ToCS ports I don't consider new, but I'm looking forward to them at any rate.
>Favorite JRPG?
Suikoden I, II or V.
>Post screenshots and lewds
No good lewds for Tokyo Xanadu. Have a random catgirl instead.

Attached: 55162593_p0.png (714x1000, 694K)