What the actual fuck

What the actual fuck.
I wanted to star playing a Shin Megami Tensei game because I was told it was edgy Pokemon.
So I went with this one because it was newer and started the game on standard difficulty. The first boss was legitimately the first time where I had to backtrack in a game, so I went back and got completely different demons with frost spells and same name color so they can do those combos.
I just got to Delphinus and I'm still getting ass raped by random encounters, anyway I'm thinking of dropping this shit, are the other SMT games easier?

Attached: shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-redux-524367.4.jpg (1500x1500, 374K)

There are easier ones, SMT Apocalypse for example, but you could just lower the difficulty or learn how to play instead.
If you're getting beaten up, change your party around like you did for the boss.

You're fusing, right user?

Attached: download (1).jpg (210x240, 9K)

Yeah, lol.
Alright I think I'll just lower the difficulty.

Play slower. It's not one of the hardest, and it's got pretty much up-to-date mechanics, unlike Soul Hackers, which will fuck you over if you're not careful with macca. Play 4 or 3 first maybe?

This game is pretty rough at the start but I pretty much steamrolled past the 2nd area. Just constantly fuse demons you should always be checking fusions every time your character levels. Recruit every new demon you find and try to fuse them. Have the entire gamut of elemental spells for you can always exploit weakness. Make sure all your main demons match your alignment it makes bosses infinitely easier. Once you get the hang of it you'll really only have trouble with womb of grief content

Your first SMT will usually be your hardest. SJ isn't hard at all when you get used to it. There're like 2 hard bosses, one being Sector E's and the second being the final boss though I haven't played Redux.
Buff, debuff, fuse, get new equipment regularly, get doppelganger and you should be alright.

Attached: 8e57c1d1451f6a5f409ff15a91c4ad54aef1112a.jpg (312x325, 38K)

The game's paced around you looking through every single dot in the map and exploring. If you're not filling the maps all you can, you're gonna get shit.

>Redux
>standard difficulty
You know that's literally easy mode compared to the original DS game, right?

Is it? I was thinking of playing Redux because I lost my cartridge. What are the new things?

Wait, one question, what the fuck is going on in Womb of Grief? I tried exploring it but after I got to the third room of fuckery I didn't even know how to leave anymore so I just reloaded my save.

>standard difficulty
what are you, some sort of pussy?

WoG is the additionsl dungeon added to Redux.
It unlocks as you progress through the main story and is necessary to get the new endings.
It also has the most complicated areas in the game.

There's new endings and dungeons which is cool, it's also visually superior.
I was referring to how Redux lets you save anywhere, and "Hard mode" is the difficulty from the original DS game.

New demons and shit and an additional set of endings related to a new character, including one where you actually go full doomguy

Womb of grief is the new optional dungeon in Redux. The maps are massive and they're much bigger than anything in the regular game. The content is also harder than the regular game. The rewards are really good though and you unlock a new floor every time you complete an area. If you're having trouble with it just don't worry about it until later when you understand the game more

YES Op, I literally started the series just like you did - play fucking any other title except the PS1 ones

>abloobloo
Get fucked. Go play something more your speed like Pokémon.

>play fucking any other title except the PS1 ones
Revelations Persona, technically not SMT but that's a dumb distinction in the first place, is probably an easy start to the series though. Not too hard, not too retro in it's gameplay and not the full SMT style setting either. A nice ease into the series.

Digital Devil Saga is a relatively easy start.

I’m going through the SMT games by release order, starting with the first. I just reached the point where the Chaos hero fuses with one of my demons and abandons me. How far am I? After finishing 1, how would recommend me go through the series afterwards? Like I said, I would ideally want to do release order, but my PC’s utter shit and I doubt I can emulate Nocturne or the Ps2 games decently, but I could probably manage playing one of the PS1 games like If.

I want to get into the series after playing all the EO games, should I start with Redux or 4?

Redux for more EO style gameplay, 4 if you want literally no dungeons but an easier game overall.

Start with Persona Q.

I want something different from just EO with a new coat of paint, I'll probably follow the advice of and play 4, then redux if I miss maps.

2 and then if...
Look into getting an actual PS2 and a copy of Nocturne. It would cost you 40€ total.

Play Devil Survior or Soul Hackers instead of 4

It's EO awkwardly fused with SMT/Persona, but still mostly the same I suppose.

I would say Redux is a better choice for you personally, 4 doesn't really resemble EO that much at all and the lack of crawling through dungeons is a huge blow to series.
I think so, anyway.

Playing through Digital Devil Saga right now, it's probably harder than Nocturne, I guess it's easier because dungeons aren't as snooze-inducing.

Alright, thanks. I'll go with Redux then

There's one thing you'll learn about SMT very quickly once you play a couple of games: normal encounters are just as dangerous as boss fights (sometimes).
So you're going to want to build demons with this in mind. I usually make 1 or 2 demons that just has Media and literally never use them except for healing my party in a dungeon.

Dude don't recommend Soul Hackers to a noob, they'll get screwed just by team spendings in every single step.

SMT is like EO on easy mode.

That's okay, Nemissa can solo the game.

The Asura dungeon with invisible conveyer belt mazes with holes is worse than anything EO ever shit out though.

Only EO1's teleport dungeon even comes close.

What about the floor with invisible holes with an entire floor of damage tiles under them where the only non-holes are being patrolled by FOEs?

be sure to call her sexy

Do you mean Delphinus or Grus? Grus was an outright soul-sucking experience.

Also, is EO really easier? I tried playing IV or V (don't remember which one) and was kinda overwhelmed in the first dungeon, so I eventually stopped playing. I felt like all of my characters were too weak.

>mfw the Atlus survey didn't have any questions on SMT ports/remasters but they do on fucking Catherine

I just want to play SMT 1 and 2 with a proper inventory and 3D graphics. Is that too much to ask?

Get Soul Hackers. IV is hardatfirst, but untilyouget demons

4-5 are easy as fuck. The early parts in all of them can be deceivingly tougher than the rest though.

1's original release and 3 can be somewhat difficult but the rest are way easier than SJ.

I can beat SMT games easily, I've never made it past like midgame before giving up in EO. If you fuck up a demon in SMT, you can just fuse a new one with money. Fuck up a build in EO because the game doesnt set expectations about what to bring in bosses and you basically have to level a whole new party worth of people from 1.

Strange Journey is way more forgiving in my experience.

Have fun user, remember the power of friendship

Attached: 1551933647147.png (566x502, 10K)

Unless you have a really shitty party (no healer, majority of characters are gimmick classes) that doesn't really apply in EO. Maybe in the postgame, but certainly not in the main story. If you have a conventional party the game is totally clearable.

I didn't have much difficulty until awake jimmy.
Only won because I spammed reflect attack and heal all every single turn.

>The first boss was legitimately the first time where I had to backtrack in a game, so I went back and got completely different demons with frost spells and same name color so they can do those combos.
Imagine having to build team against bosses.

I had a pretty conventional party in 4. Land Shark, Paladin, Mage, Medic,and Stalker and couldnt beat boiling lizard. SMT has never given me as much trouble as that game did.

I got spoiled on a lot of shit, not fully though.
Like, I've heard that (DDS1 spoiler) it's a virtual simulation and (DDS2 spoiler) Sera and Serph merge somehow, and also there's a super happy ending after they beat some God? And apparently the final dungeon really sucks, I wonder how bad it is compared to Nocturne's final dungeon, which I loathed. I was okay with YHVH's Universe, but looks like I got lucky, because I ran through it in 30 minutes, while it takes people 3-4 hours. It's still fun though.
I need to restart Raidou after this, I regret how much I got spoiled on that one. Super slow battle system and retarded encounter rate certainly didn't encourage playing futher, but apparently the game is pretty short, so I'm gonna suck it up and finish, maybe consult a walkthrough to make it suck less.

You must've been missing something about the scale gimmick or played that before the SMT games making it seem harder than it was because IV's really not tough at all.

Hell 4/5 of your party is same as mine (had dancer instead of stalker)

m8 you get an app to see them and it's still just conveyors
It's not
Dungeons have less gimmicks like teleporters and conveyors but combat is much harder, even in IV

I've played and finished SJ multiple times and I love the game. But the final boss is absolute bullshit and I can't comprehend how they thought that it would be a good Idea to hike the difficulty up. Not once have I beaten her legit on my own without player summoned demons or turning down the difficulty. And I didn't really think that the game was hard in general, just the fucking final Boss. Fuck yourself Mem Aleph

Attached: 1513346631974.png (963x973, 757K)

No. I played SMT Strange Journey way before Etrian Odyssey 4.

>you get an app to see them
You what

I cleared that shithole never being able to see anything

Was this in the original version or something added on the 3DS?

Both

I think YHVH from Apocalypse was the perfect final boss difficulty, he was noticeably difficult, but in tone with other bosses, so it didn't feel like a retarded difficulty spike.

I didn't feel like it was hard because I'm autistic so I've mapped the entire thing anyway.

I did this in every single dungeon.

In 2 you want to level up everyone and give them skills or it'll bite you in the ass. The last dungeon of 2 is okay but it is heavy on teleportation but I liked it more than 1's last dungeon. Minor spoiler: You'll have everyone and either Heat or Roland (the new fella) in the end depending on choices you've made and Seraph inherits Serph's and Sera's learned mantras.

>he was noticeably difficult,
No he wasn't?

4A was piss easy and he wasn't any different

t. played on easy mode

though you probably never even played apocalypse and claim this just for the sake of console war shit

I found SJ tough as well. I'm stuck on the final boss. The battle system is a little different than other games and it wasn't a change I much cared for.

retard

You should be fine emulating in software mode which is what PS2 will give you unless your PC is actually utter shit (one core from before 2010 or something). Posting your specs would help.

>playing original SMT
>like 3 hours into game, no access to any way to prevent instant death
>get into fight
>3 little fucks all spam mahama before I get a turn
>MC dead
>gameover

defend this, SMTfags

MC is immune to hama, shitpost-kun

nigger

Attached: 1550870503946.png (317x236, 50K)

Not him, but IV Apoc/Final is piss easy. Not like IV was harder though.

Did you play on easy or something? IV was infinitely easier after Medusa. I liked how IVA kept consistent challenge. Personally, it was harder than PS2 games.

You are correct. People who say that IVA is easy probably abused the dlc or played on ezmode

People also feel like they need to shit on its every aspect because the story is too shonen-like.

Why was Mark black?

Because he's a nigger.

Strange Journey is shit for a new player. Try SMT4 or Devil Survivor instead.

Because he's an American!

It honestly felt a bit more persona than the other smt titles, but the difference was that you could be an asshole throughout the whole game and kill off everyone in the end.

It's absolutely not like Persona.
It's just SMT but with shonen cliches.

but all americans have blonde hair and white eyes in my animes

They must have been half Nipponese.

Attached: Ellie_in_Shin_Megami_Tensei_x_Fire_Emblem_anime_cutscene.jpg (853x480, 135K)