What are some romhacks that are actually good?

What are some romhacks that are actually good?

Attached: FF7 NEW THREAT.jpg (1280x720, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/3609/
romhacking.net/hacks/1084/
youtube.com/watch?v=9Lac56gjUno
youtube.com/watch?v=CvvwrcVO5ZE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pokemon Gaia

Like new threat, most rpg hacks from Insane Difficulty/NGPlus community are godlike

Moemon.

Attached: Rockman4MinusInfinityOpeningScreen.png (256x240, 6K)

Final Fantasy VI T-Edition EX

Attached: ex2.png (256x224, 20K)

This one that restores the original ending of Mega Man 7 by not making him look like an edgy murderer. It also fixes some other texts and adds a skip option to cutscenes.
romhacking.net/hacks/3609/

Attached: 3609screenshot4.png (256x224, 4K)

Pokemon Crystal Clear

Attached: pokemon-crystal-clear-screenshot-2.png (320x288, 5K)

Possibly the best Pokemon romhack out there.
This one seems interesting, for FFVI I only knew about brave new world, might give this one a shot. Judging by the pic I take it that it adds tons of new content right?

Paper Mario Pro Mode

Anybody know if any of the banjo romhacks are any good?

based and poképilled

Attached: 1526474409283.jpg (736x501, 109K)

Final Fantasy 4 Enterprise. Turns FF4 into an open world, open ended game that is randomized.

Zelda II Easy
romhacking.net/hacks/1084/
Makes Zelda 2 not a slog to go through.
>Some of the things it does is increases the damage you do to enemies, reduces the damage you take from enemies, reduces the amount of magic your spells consume, and increases the number of lives you start with.
This brings its difficulty more in line with other Zelda games.

Saw this at a speedrunning event (probably gdq), and it seemed really good. However, as someone who's been really getting into zelda randomizers as of late, I realized that playing dogs randomized requires a lot of knowledge about the game, especially item locations and whatnot. I'm tempted to try this one out but I've only done like 2 playthroughs of the original, I'll probably just get lost instead of having fun.

Fuck meant rpgs not dogs

would love for this to be english translated one day

I should probably play this since zelda 2 is still the only main zelda title that I've yet to play, but at the same time I'd feel like pussy for not putting up with all the bullshit difficulty of the original.

Zelda 2's difficulty doesn't need to be changed, and lowering it would diminsh the experience. The only change I would agree with is more mp to cast spells, but even then you can finish this game with a little perseverance.

On the subject of Zelda 2, pic is of an amusing sprite and text edit.

Attached: images.png (232x217, 10K)

Simon's Quest retranslated adds an intro cutscene, an ingame map based on the manual which is extremely helpful and a save system on top of retranslating/fixing/speeding up text. It makes the game actually good which surprised me given the reputation it has.

Also Brutal Mario.

>Judging by the pic I take it that it adds tons of new content right?
A ton. New bosses, dungeons, characters, costumes, spells, espers, music, etc.
The redone music is great.
youtube.com/watch?v=9Lac56gjUno

The music is pretty good, thanks for posting this friend. Really interesting to listen to these remixes.

>brutal mario
Oh man that just brought back some good memories, I think I might've played it even more than the original SMW.

Attached: Captain_K._Rool.png (256x224, 23K)

Master Quest for MM was pretty fun.

there's that Super Mario World Call of Cthulhu romhack, I heard it's great
youtube.com/watch?v=CvvwrcVO5ZE

That's awesome!

this

At first I thought your post was some kind of joke about oot's master quest basically being a romhack (which it kinda is), then I realized you were talking about majora's mask. Definitely gonna check this out.

Probably the best Super Metroid rom hack so far, and that's saying a lot.

Attached: cover-256[1].png (288x256, 39K)

If we're talking Mario romhacks, I've always loved Super Demo World. Has good level and secret design while only relying on actual SMW assets.

From the thumbnail I though the center of the Weapons chest was Shrek's face.

How had nobody posted this yet, such a great expansion of what the original sm64 was, plus the music is so damn good since it recycles a lot of them from past mario games. The smrpg songs in particular were so good.

Attached: super mario star road.jpg (480x360, 48K)

Pokemon Quartz.

Some guy named IcePenguin made a bunch of interesting Zelda 2 romhacks.
Unfortunately, he has no idea how to balance difficulty, and his hacks are tedious as hell. Some towns have no health or magic refills, so you have to grind magic drops to regain health and magic. The first rom hack of his I tried made it so that basic bots (the blob-like enemies) took 8 hits to kill. 8 hits for a fucking bot. There's also way too much time required on the overworld map getting into random encounters because the backtracking takes you on a zig-zag across the entire fucking map.

If someone would fix up his romhacks, they'd probably be worth playing.

Attached: shadow of night.png (1024x895, 15K)

I was playing this exact mod when I saw this thread.

I'd say it's on par with Super Zero Mission and Super Metroid Arcade. Those are the holy trinity of Metroid romhacks.

Order of the Crimson Arm was way better than I expected out of a random hack I picked up on a lark.

the SMT3 romhack sounds really good

persona 3 has a part control one too

My only complaint about SZM was the required use of tool assistance to obtain a few of the items. I think 100% should be possible without using slowdown and frame-by-frame play.

Arcade is pretty awesome though.

Mario Land 2 DX

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana turns an overrated shit game I genuinely hated into one of the best games on the system except for the bugs that couldn't be ironed out.

Parallel Worlds

Attached: Zelda Parallel Worlds.png (240x210, 13K)

There's no such thing as a good romhack.

what is this!? i only tried the ff7 translation iso, i didn't know about this new threat thing? wtf is it any good?

t. JP developer

It's not my fault romhackers have no talent.

Do you like having actual gameplay and enemies that can fight back in FF7?

pokemon sacred gold/ storm silver is a really cool modded pokemon, makes it quite difficult, or at least difficult enough that my pokemon were actually dying and i was wiping out and losing money and needing to grind

Oh shit I remember playing this years ago. Shit was balls to walls hard, you even had to go through the first dungeon swordless. Once I reached the dark world I ended up quitting since some of the puzzles were ridiculously cryptic, trying to solve them felt like banging my head against a wall over and over.

Whats it called?

>Evil Dead
Guess I'll check this out sometime

It adds tons of new content including bosses, dungeons, sidequests, a whole new stat leveling system and even revamps a lot of the magic. As another user pointed out, bosses are actually very challenging and I don't mean they're just damage sponges, they actually each use certain strategies that require actual thought to defeat. It even uses the retanslation, you should definitely try it out if you're a fan of ffvii.

Look at the OP image's filename.

Most of the Pokemon games from gen 4 onwards have really good difficulty hacks. I remember being so disappointed about how trash ORAS were, but when played the difficulty romhack called rutile ruby it actually made the game a lot of fun.

>an overrated shit game
Really? I've only ever played the beginning but I've seen nothing but praise for this game, what problems does it have?

Broken gameplay, balance that takes zero effort to break, no real difficulty except for random cheap shots you won't avoid unless you know about them in advance. Pretty much the late SNES to mid PS1 Square trifecta of issues. It's also one of the least responsive and slowest ARPGs I've ever played on top of that.

Chrono trigger hard mode is good, impossible mode is good if you want to grind (because it's not a grind optional hack, hard mode is though), FFT 1.3 will probably forever be my favorite romhack though. That shit makes FFT an entirely new game, with better balancing, infinitely harder (with a version without the difficulty bumps), adds the PSP content to the PS1 version, and more. It's literally perfect. I can't think of a single flaw that isn't a bug that was either ironed out or will be.

>I can't think of a single flaw that isn't a bug that was either ironed out or will be.
I can. Spellcasting blows ass later in the game because charge times become a major liability when everything is dying in one or two actions and the best lategame spellcasting is fucked over by overuse of the immortal flag on enemies making them immune to status effects. Onion Knight is stupidly overpowered. Grinding down enemies ceases to be a real strategy late too because enemies have infinite uses of power source and this issue combined with issue 1 means chapter 4 is all about finding the exact strategy you're intended to use for a battle.