Why are previously niche titles like Nier and Persona getting so overwhelmingly popular now?

Why are previously niche titles like Nier and Persona getting so overwhelmingly popular now?

Attached: persona_5__nier_automata_1538393138_8c81f5a0.jpg (1080x810, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

destructoid.com/nier-automata-celebrates-total-sales-passing-3-5-million-mark-533840.phtml
youtube.com/watch?v=Gruh_QC2Mq0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>overwhelmingly popular
Persona sold like, slightly over a million copies I thought

Normies jumping on the bandwagon/hypetrains.

they're stylish

They're not.

They're well made games with not a lot of flaws. There is also a massive amount of content.

In desperate attempts to feel special normalfags seek out and latch onto niche titles thinking that liking a niche thing makes them different from all the normalfags but really since all of them think and act the same it just drags the niche title into normalfag mainstream.
That and more marketing.

>persona
are you retarded? persona 4 sold incredible well despite it being a super late ps2 title

This. It's why the resurgence of censorship.

>one sold one million, the other sold two million
>"overwhelming popular"

For comparison, Final Fantasy XV, a game mocked by the mainstream and reviled by its fanbase, sold five million copies in its first day of release.

Persona has been mainstream as far as nerdshit goes for over a decade. Nier Automata is unironically down to 2B becoming a Twitter meme.

>previously niche titles like Nier and Persona
u wot m8

Persona and Nier both already had cult followings and mostly to all of the overwhelming exposure and praise for each title which neither series had received both of before, at least to such an extent they'd be hard to miss.
What are you trying to say?

Because this generation has been brought up on a world without soul and are crying out for anything unique

Dumbed down games for casuals to enjoy. Since most normies are retarded the stories presented are so fucking complex to them that they feel amazed.

Basically

"normalfags" sounds so cringy

Newfag.

at this rate when western developers get unionized, it will put Japanese companies on top, even western publishers would go over seas than deal with unionized game developers.

>2M sales
>popular
But still Octopath Traveler sold 1.5M and that's impressive. So while they're not that popular more people are playing JRPGs.

supposedly it was more than octopath deserved too.

There is definitely an itch for games that aren't traditional aaa nowadays.

The new age of "internet culture" has brought forth the recognition of various japanese franchises that until up to this point, have been rather obscure and niche.
Much how like Jojo and Initial D have gained mainstream popularity recently. Basically all these normalfags have been told that in JAPAN there are these shows and franchises that are extremely popular but ONLY in Japan, so if you follow suite and hop on that train, you will become cool and hip.

retardera just go...

Normies are getting tired of playing Assassin's Creed and Battlefield too.

We're in the age of ironic weebs. The only thing that's still sacred left is henshin shows.
How about that latest episode of JuJu's Crazy Quest, My fellow baka gaijins? #thedickmakesitcuter

Attached: 2taqtetmjur01.jpg (1092x1044, 148K)

it didn't hit a million

>nier not niche

this. they only seem popular because they get daily threads on this weaboo website.

Big western AAA games are so shit that even normalfags are tired of them.

Games are fucking terrible, so games that normally wouldn't get attention are recieving inflated praise due to coming out during a time where everything in comparison is complete shit. A game like Xenogears would get a 98 for example if it released today with modern visuals, gameplay & a finished disc 2

Correct. The industry never ever recovered from the Xbox 360. The jump to HD and online multiplayer.
There was a time when you could find the remnants of a bygone era with the DS but mobile finished handhelds off.

Persona hasn't been that niche since 3, but I'd attribute the heightened popularity to a lot of Japanese series line those and Yakuza to a lot of passing around of word of mouth due to more people than ever on the internet, and there being a lot of weebs, or ironic weebs some might say, who latch on to any popular Japanese thing, and series like these always had following, they were bound to get a lot of discussion on release even if they weren't hugely popular previously, and all that attention on the new release naturally pulls in these kinds of people. That's how I see it at least.

2.5 million. Not exactly overwhelming popular but extremely good for a niche JRPG.

Japan is finally learning how to market to the west. Don't forget Yakuza 0.

I wonder if we'll ever reach a point in society where Cory in the House is remembered and That's So Raven is not simply because of this meme

I accidentally typed "That's So Revan"

It was the 360 and PS3
You can't ignore Uncharted

>getting so overwhelmingly popular now
you wish

still nip/dorky shit that won't get you hot chicks and laid like RDR

Western publishers now only want to make multiplayer games, so these once niche games now have an audience hungry for quality single player games

Attached: image.jpg (567x482, 183K)

this
Jojo got popular 8 or 77 years ago---that's not recently

>the other sold two million
Make that 3.5 million destructoid.com/nier-automata-celebrates-total-sales-passing-3-5-million-mark-533840.phtml

Attached: 7c5ffI6.gif (370x446, 1.28M)

>That's So Revan
lmao, i’d watch that

Uncharted was Sony's copycat of Gears of War.

marketing and the 360/ps3 era of gamer dudes finally looking for something other than the yearly shooter releases

Because weebs on the internet are loud and annoying as fuck so normies find out about good games for once.

>FF15 sells more units
>People talk more about Cute Robot and Rad theft game instead
HOW CAN FINAL FANTASY FAGS EVER RECOVER?!?!?’

Attached: D8EC9E44-696C-48FB-91CE-4A05EA57898F.jpg (857x931, 384K)

uncharted didn't change anything other than made a few more sony first parties movie games, the damage 360 did is on a different level

doubt, uncharted would be at least a year in a half into development when Gears 1 came out

Same reason why COD sells more copies and yet has little to no lasting power in the internet.

>thinking FFfags give 2 shits about XV

xv also still turned out to be a financial disaster for square despite the sales figures. can't really call it a success when it lost $33 million and had to be cancelled before it could be finished.

Attached: xvcancelled.jpg (600x337, 48K)

True, I mean the game is still unfinished to this day

It baffles me that a game can sell so many copies, but still be considered a failure. How many copies did they expect to sell?

Attached: 1526866069247.png (621x588, 699K)

They're not, but they are now popular than before. And it's because people are realising how shit western games are

they poured a SHITTON into marketing and cross promotional shit like the movie. They expected to make gains off the GAAS system (since the game is obviously unfinished) which failed because eveyone stopped giving a shit about FFXV once they played it. To put it into perspective, FFXV sold like 300k at most on PC after all the reception got spread around. Hence it didn't make any money. KH3 is in a similar boat and will likely meet a similar

Don't forget the Wii, Nintendo's drop in quality was so massive that they still haven't recovered

>Initial D
Normalfags watch that? I thought they just listened to the soundtrack.

You’re right.

>older brother has a chad italian friend who's an engineer with a 9/10 gf
>all of a sudden now getting a 1:1 AE86 imported from japan

just think of how much money square wasted on that shovelware when they still lost $33 million *after* all those sales.

To add. The Japanese aren’t afraid of giving red blooded males what they want in video games. The more Westerner developers give into pressure to sterilize their games the more male gamers will say fuck it and buy Japanese games.

>The only thing that's still sacred left is henshin shows.
Thankfully Power Rangers acts as a containment for that so Tokusatsu is safe.

>game that got multiple E3 trailers over 10 years and had a whole franchise of spin-offs and side material and an anime and movie before the game even came out
Honestly it's embarrassing that after all that the sales for it aren't higher.

The Jap industry is already in decline but is not as bad as the west right now but wait until the golden generation retires or dies, the Shiggy generation is already on their 60s, Kojima's are near 50 and all of them are already losing their touch. Then videogames will become trash. Unless you name one single good young directo under 40 years old I have no hope for this industry.

Well as long as the new generation is trained by the Shiggy generation it might turn out alright.

All of these answers are wrong. The answer is because of a JRPG drought. These games aren't even that great but People have low standards now.

Attached: FB_IMG_1549468200668-1.jpg (1059x349, 52K)

This. I want AAA games to finally die off.

Persona 5 was legit the first JRPG I ever played and beat. It's also the first PS4 game I ever played. It's also the first game I ever played on any PlayStation console. I was always Nintendo and Xbox growing up. And it was by pure chance I even played it. My older brother got a PS4, and I decided to try p5 just because it was a console I'd never played before, and I'd seen him play it. It deserves its praise. It made me a PlayStation fan. Now I have a Xbox Jaun, Soistation 4, and a Japtendo Switch. The best of all world's.

it doesn't deserve shit, it's a 7/10 being very generous. In many ways it's inferior to 3/4, though I understand your feelings since it's your first jRPG

Their predecessors were already popular by niche standards. Persona 4 was arguably THE JRPG darling of the late 00s and if memory serves me right even Nier, without 2B ass, sold almost a million copies.

The JRPG drought was several year ago. So it's not that.

The dungeons in P3 and 4 sucked ass and you know it. People just like to defend their first Persona over every other because it's their first Persona and the formula loses its magic after the first playthrough.

It probably has by now on Vita.

>Why are previously niche titles like Nier and Persona getting so overwhelmingly popular now?
>posts their non niche sequels

Attached: 1550304869261.jpg (812x1024, 61K)

that's the only thing 5 gets better

>People just like to defend their first Persona over every other because it's their first Persona and the formula loses its magic after the first playthrough.
honestly I think this is it, but even so 5 is lacking in many aspects compared to its predecessors

if P3 got a proper remake in P5's engine it would shit all over P5

I agree, I think P3, as it is, is better than 5 as well

memes and zoomers

xv was received better than nier was though

but people talk more about xv than those nothing games

>NIER AND PERSONA
>NICHE
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ps4 desperately needed games so normals jumped ship

Nope
XV was a massive success and sold more than any other FF ever in the same time span

The 33m loss has nothing to do with XV which was extremely successful and made lots of profit, it was entirely only because of luminous productions which was formed in APRIL 2018 and nothing from before then, it only includes the money for the new company itself, R&D, hiring new staff and the multiple new games they were making, they cancelled multiple new games and kept only one AAA game, that's what caused the money loss, not FFXV which sold extremely well and is the highest selling FF ever when comparing release timespans with every other FF, 8.4m in under 1 year 11 months beats the previous first FF to 8m which was FF8 after 4 years.

The only things that were cancelled were non canon alt timeline bonus DLC that had nothing to do with the main game. And We're still getting a prequel DLC about the main villain aswell as free dlc updates in comrades, and just got free crossover dlc event with ff14 x ff15 aswell as a new anime about the main villain too

It wasn't, it was a huge financial success. See above.

>P5normies having to fight Nyx

ATLUS PLEASE

Attached: 1488434187654.jpg (619x723, 127K)

FFXV made more money with that 300k from its first month on steam than FF7 did with 5 years of steam sales despite being at 1m.

With Steam XV made more money on Steam in 1 month than FF7 did in 5 years on Steam.
FF7 default price is $12 on Steam and frequently on sale for $6.
FFXV default price is $50 on Steam and only a few times on sale for $25.
In 1 month on Steam XV had sold 300k at full $50 price before any sale, in 5 years on Steam FF7 sold 1m priced at $12 max and frequently at $6.

In 1 month at $50 with 300k XV has made 15000000
In 5 years at $12 with 1m FF7 has made 12000000 at the absolute maximum if it never had any sales, but since it's frequently on sale for $6 it's made far less than that.

So even if the total for 7 is higher it still made far less money in 5 years on Steam than XV did in 1 month on Steam, ergo is not as successful as XV was in its first month, and XV is over 700k on steam now.

Also XV sold 8.4m in its first 2 years, FF7 did only 6.57m in its first 2 years and FF8 didn't hit 8m until 4 years after release, XV is selling far better than any FF.

>XV was a massive success
>10 year of development hell
>change of engine
>Director was so fed up he left
>nomura dropped that shit so that the better game could be finished.
>Sold only because it had the name final fantasy slapped into it
Let it go man the game did more damage than good to square.

>tfw yakuza threads have forever been ruined because of bandwaggoning faggots

>o v e r w h e l m i n g l y p o p u l a r
You keep using that word for every success games, might as well use super ultra duper popular for games like mario and gta now

it was only in full dev for 3 years
7 years had less than 20 people attached and next to nothing done so in the grand scheme any costs were a drop in the ocean

It moved to Luminous in 2013 and stayed there since, Ebony was a modified engine made that was integrated into Luminous itself
Tabata released the game in 2016 and didnt direct any of the DLC, Shida, Nakazawa, Aramaki and Terada did and Terada still is directing ep Ardyn which is coming in 2 weeks too
Nomura was kicked off the game because he got nothing done in 7 years
It sold because it was good which is what the demos and Tabata's communication with the fans resulted in it being the strongest single player FF sales ever.

You're the same retards that spout "le dd died at _" yet when a new game which proved itself through its demos and the director constantly communicating with the fans you go "muh ff name". Fuck right off.

It literally made more money on Steam in 2018 in its first month on Steam, years after its initial console release, than FF7 did in 5 years on Steam.
It literally sold gangbusters

Even KH3 changed engines more times and took longer to make full time.

So a game that had to sell his soul to cup noodles and audi, because of how much it was bleeding the company, who got released half baked and with an external movie and an anime to complement the lackluster story of the main product, totally didn't sold for the name?

kek.

Attached: 1547615046304.gif (300x290, 1.74M)

xv-kun still lying and in massive denial i see lol, also still shitposting in Persona threads after so many years.

Attached: 1497417464105.png (205x246, 29K)

Advertisement

Damn that’s good to hear. Hopefully they’ve got a better handle on production over there now. Really looking forward to seeing FF16 without multiple production fiascos going on.

Regards,
Not-Barry

Casualisation

this is a dumb argument since japanese devs are starting to follow western trends because red blooded males want their games censored.

Audi had nothing to do with the game and SE wanted to use cup noodles not the other way around because the fantasy based on reality motif they wanted to use actual brand in it which is same reason they wear roen

the movie came out before the game and so did the anime which were literally just animated versions of text documents that arent important to the story and was literally free on YouTube and low budget A1 pictures thing

even fucking P5 had a prerelease anime by A1 too

It literally sold because of the game itself was good as proven by the demos and its constant presence at events and communication with tabata and the fans
the movie wasn't even announced until a few months before the game came out and even the movie only got a thearer showing BECAUSE of fan demand not the other way around

t. kh fag in denial over reality

>Audi had nothing to do with the game
youtube.com/watch?v=Gruh_QC2Mq0
>other way around
Nice mental gymnastics

They literally couldn't fit the cutscenes because of how crappy the games was coming along and the literally choosed to spend money for a movie.
They literally turned final fantasy into an adversiting because they were bleeding on budget so much, it comes not as a surprise that they turned the original concept of an ff 14 side story into a full fledged final fantasy, they needed the brand.

Shut the fuck up Barry

>niiche

japanese

the word youre looking for is japanese

because gamers are slowly realizing jrpgs are the best and most worthwhile

this

No games on the console. So the people starving for new games buy literally anything.

Because being an ironic weeb is one of the coolest things among zoomers.

audi is literally not in the game you retard
fucking hell you were already invalidated

Fuck off Kevin

Guess people are tired of mediocrity. Persona 5 was vaporwave and received good comments from popular media, same as Nier Automata, Platinums attached name helped a lot for publicity and game overall
Nah, persona 5 is over 2 and nier was over 3 mil few months ago

>audi is literally not in the game
Doesn't change the fact that square enix whored out their biggest ip to save the company from bankrupcy.

More like no games on pc

Initial D has been fairly popular for the last 15 years. Definitely not recent.

THE ARCANA IS THE MEAN BY WICH ALL IS REVEALED x12

nope
the movie was made just to do an invasion thing by 2016 because they foresaw they couldn't inplement it in the game if they were to do it as gameplay and still hit 2016, so that in 2013 was moved to a movie while the focused on the game proper since then. the game had nothing to do with whatever ad stuff was in the movie retard
also ff7, ff8, ff9, ff10 etc literally whored themselves out to pepsi, coke, toyota etc
XV literally sold more and made more than any other single player FF ever and also cost less than FF7 or FF12 did too

Attached: FFIX_coke_commercial.jpg (800x600, 543K)

because its a fucking breath of fresh air. gaming has never been more popular than it is now. as a result games that are niche like this have been getting way more traction. see the people who normally play just fifa or destiny or whatever whose first console was either ps4 or xbox1 want something new. they have never expereicne a jrpg or what not so they see this shit and play it for the frist time and have their fucking mind blown. because this shit is so crazy different than madden, fifa, COD, or whatever the mainstream game of the month is. I am actually happy with that because it means games like neir, dmc, persona etc will have a chance to bankroll more games./

>ff7, ff8, ff9, ff10 etc literally whored themselves out to pepsi, coke, toyota etc
Doing cooperative tv spots is not the same as filling your products with advertising.
>cost less than FF7 or FF12 did too
source.

>overwhelmingly popular
selling 2-3 million copies is not exactly "overwhelmingly popular"

I mean it's not bad, but overwhelmingly popular would be games like Diablo3, Skyrim or GTA, you know, games that sell 30-50 million copies

in comparison nier and persona are still relatively niché games

Attached: 1544212153124.gif (652x562, 626K)

>Persona 5 was vaporwave
??

It was delayed for years

japanese consoles are top dog again

Attached: 5b48c9927439161c008b494e-1136-568.jpg (1136x568, 54K)

Vaporware is the term you should have used.

>Nier
>niche

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-13 Vol 3 Ch 21 (Jahy-sama wa Kujikenai ) - MangaDex.png (1258x877, 500K)

In part this , in part the fact that anime and its related entertainment avenues are pretty mainstream these days so there are weebs everywhere interested in weirder games, making sure that they broadcast their unique tastes. If they are good games like P5 and Nier, it results in positive word of mouth and longer tail.

It’s because of their art, word of mouth and memes that are spread over the current hyper social internet. Compare it to JRPGs that got negative word of mouth like Xenoblade 2 about its sexualisation, cringe and generally very anime character art.

Because these chinkshit studios finally discovered the power of throwing money at marketing in the west.
If you do it right any turd will sell.

People want others to think they are cool and have non-mainstream tastes so they pretend to like "niche" media.

Barry how can you actually say it wasn't a failure wiht the money they spent on it, the development hell, and the cancellation of the dlc? That's completely fucking unheard of for a game like this. If it sells 10 mill copies, and makes roughly 600 million dollars give or take, and the budget for everything was close to the same, that's a bust.

>said someone who uses bait over troll
nice try newfag

gestalt/replicant didnt hit a million. and even then it was criticized for its mediocrity as a video game.

>overly

Selling like fucking shit because the game sucked doesn't suddenly make it "niche", retard.