Ignoring all other aspects of Halo 5, was the idea of bringing Fred, Linda and Kelly back a good concept to use?

Ignoring all other aspects of Halo 5, was the idea of bringing Fred, Linda and Kelly back a good concept to use?

Attached: blue-610.jpg (610x343, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
youtube.com/watch?v=wYqWU4N88E4
youtube.com/watch?v=nkSi8XM0Dqs
twitter.com/franklez/status/593657281935380480?lang=en
youtube.com/watch?v=G4qCAQmhu2w
gamespot.com/articles/halo-infinite-could-use-games-as-service-structure/1100-6465482/
gamespot.com/articles/halo-infinite-dev-responds-to-microtransaction-con/1100-6461977/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No. Let the books be their own thing, or if you want them in a game make sure it's not a mainline.

This. Too bad they botched Locke so badly. All they had to do was follow Six and Rookie's examples and make a near-silent protagonist.

The only reason they did that was so that they could claim they've done more for the lore than Bungie ever did, but they simultaneously made Chief a Forerunner trans-spermia rapebaby so it at LEAST balances out.

Must watch, Bungie vs 343's design philosophies
youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88

>simultaneously made Chief a Forerunner trans-spermia rapebaby
What

Master Chief is the Didact's grandson, in the simplest terms possible.

WHAT

Give me a Halopedia source or something

Bringing back? These random people were never around before.

>oh btw Chief suddenly has a team of besties who were too busy to help him save the world until now :)
no thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=wYqWU4N88E4
Remember the Retcon

The biggest issue is that they're completely braindead. It's hard to give a shit about any NPC if they do fuck all and actively get in the player's way. If 5 had treated them a little more like delta team in RC or at least been willing to let them clean house on their own I think people would have liked them a lot more without any prior knowledge.

Attached: Star-War-Republic-Commando-Highly-Compressed-Full-Version-Pc-Game-Free-Download-2.jpg (865x750, 221K)

The only confirmation in the videogames is this:
youtube.com/watch?v=nkSi8XM0Dqs
1:41 Chief meets the Warden and Cortana knows "Chief's forgotten name.... The one before he was 117." And with the comics we know that Cortana was magically saved by the Domain, and inside the Domain is nearly every Forerunner's memories. And within those memories are the Librarian and Iso-Didact's memories, and the Iso-Didact volunteered his DNA to "seed humanity", the Iso-Didacts is also the Didact's "son". His real name is Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting, and that's the name that Warden is talkign about. Chief is the Didact's grandson.

I'd be much more willing to bet 343's writers forgot everyone already knows chief's name is John.

The problem is it is explained that when Forerunners accept the "DNA" or "Imprinting" of another Forerunner (which is what they did to Chief) they inherit their mannerisms, thought processes, and even memories. This is also the reason why Chief was able to communicate with Cortana in Halo 5 through the Domain. Something has awakened hChief's "inner Forerunner" (probably the contact with the librarian) and he's the only human that can access the Domain, which is probably going to be the main plot twist of Halo 6 (because connecting to the domain is a rite of passage for inheriting the Mantle)

Seems to me he's talking about Chief's real name before he was kidnapped and became John-117. Cortana would probably know that since she's a replica of Halsey

They were always around in the books, Linda had been in stasis since she suffered mortal wounds in the Fall of Reach, only recently revived due to advanced in medical technology, and I believe Kelly and Fred were stuck in shield world shenanigans with Halsey

>everyone reads the books
no.
To the average player these people have never existed until now.

Everybody knows his name though. It's well documented, everybody just calls him Chief. Why the fuck would the Warden care about Chief's regular name?

Because 4/5's hack writer forgot?

The point is, Warden is trying to lure Chief in. Cortana "doesn't know if she could trust him." So she thinks he's immediately going to be combative and fuck shit up, so what does she do? She drops something that neither Chief nor the player knows anything about, Chief's forgotten name. This baits Chief in because unbeknownst to the player he has been having "Forerunner dreams". And it is the ONLY information that Cortana could possibly get from the Domain about Chief.

Chief isn't Bornstellar, dog.
The geas Librarian talks about in 4 isn't resulting in him specifically, but a super soldier program that would produce him.

Then why can he connect to the Domain and why does he have a "forgotten name" and why can the Librarian give him immunity to the Cartographer?

>This baits Chief in because unbeknownst to the player he has been having "Forerunner dreams"
When did this retarded shit start and how and why is the player not clued in on this? Never played H5, to me it seemed he was baiting Chief with his real name and identity before ONI gave him "John"

Wait, I thought the Humans were genetic descendants of the forerunners, which is why the covenant need Miranda Keyes and Johnson to activate the rings in 2 and 3

Because the only reason Cortana survive is because she connected to the Domain. And the only reason AIs can connect to the Domain is because of two lines in a 1200 page book series. And the only thing that Cortana could have possibly learned about Chief that we didn't already know is that he has the gene seen of a Forerunner.

That's the old lore, the new lore is that Human evolved alongside the Foirerunners and after losing to them the Didact devolved them all into cavemen and the Librarian gave them gene seeds so they weren't immediately wiped out when they encountered another alien race.

Fuck that retconn

If you think that's bad 343 guilty spark is actually a conglomeration of these devolved cavemen humans mindmelded into one and is still alive apparently in the books.

If I could go back in time and change one thing about Halo, i’d make Halo Reach actually about Blue Team and the other S-IIs, so that when they finally showed up in the mainline games it wouldn’t be jarring as fuck.

Because he's a Reclaimer, altered to become more like the Forerunners, which is a result of the super soldier program and the geas present in humanity's genes.
If Kelly or Fred or Linda was there, the Librarian could have done the same for them.

That was never confirmed, and Bungie abandoned that idea by Halo 3, which confirmed that humans and forerunner evolved separately.

>If Kelly or Fred or Linda was there, the Librarian could have done the same for them.
I seriously doubt that

Wasn’t master chief meant to be the last spartan?

Only in CE's instruction manual. Even in the book released before the game came out he wasn't the last.

The last OG Spartan. They made more. Nu-Spartans are little baby cucks tho

He was supposed to be the "last spartan 2" that they knew of because he's the only one that returned after Reach. Then they just said "yeah naw 95% of them lived"

That's silly of you to think.

Doesn't change the fact that they always existed.

Explain why Onyx responded to them then

There's like 4 Spartan-IIs left, maybe 8 if Gray Team is still alive.

Fall of Reach tried to push the idea that he was the Last Spartan, because all of the others were either KIA or MIA and Linda was mortally wounded in cryosleep but they were already backtracking on that by the very next book.

Because Ghosts of Onyx was written when all humans were reclaimers and Chief just had "luck"

So from what I'm getting from the video, Bungie cared about the player experience and wanted to make a game fun to play with interesting enemies while 343 cares more about story and what looks cool and don't really give a shit about the player.

My dying ass, 343 is bringing back spartan 2's like they're going on sale

>all humans were reclaimers and Chief just had "luck"
Only canon I accept

At least 7, actually.
The best ones are just a bit far from home right now.

Attached: maxresdefault (5).jpg (1280x720, 87K)

And money

Did 343 really turn Master Chief into a chosen one tier trope character?

That's still the case. Chief's just the first Human to actually reach the Librarian, so she altered his suit to survive the macguffin weapon in 4.
No, he's still just really lucky.

Yes, he's Rey from new Star Wars now

Yeah, just got to that part. 343 doesn't want a halo game. They don't care about making a halo game. They want to make a game that makes them money, that appeals to the widest possible audience, and just so happens to have the name Halo on the box.

as soon as i read the books i wanted master chiefs team to show up in the games. but yeah i'm not touching post-bungie halo for any reason.

4 is where I called it quits. Forerunners and their robots were cool in the previous games, but that look and feel they had is gone in the promethians. They just feel generic. Uninspired.

No, Halo 5 should have focused on the Master Chief and the Master Chief alone, hopefully Halo Infinite corrects this issue.

This

>he's pushing his headcanon again

Ignore him, he's a retard.

I get the feeling they're doing the same thing as Darth Vader. First he was a cool guy in a suit and then he got turned into space not-Jesus

Because he is the Reclaimer, the protector of the Galaxy.

This, why is that guy so stupid?

It was a good idea to bring them in, it's just the execution with both the squad mechanics and the shitty characterization/writing made it a pretty poor experience.

twitter.com/franklez/status/593657281935380480?lang=en

That was never changed.

No, he's just universally lucky like he was in Halo CE-3.

Why is Red Team so much cooler than other Spartans
>Goes toe to toe with an angry as fuck Arbiter
>Works as an actual team
>Effortlessly leaps thirty feet into the air to hijack Banshees without jetpacks or jump packs
>Always has synchronized style, glorious Mark IV, even after having modern components installed
>Not afraid to jump face first into the Flood, because lmao fuck the spores
>Not even an amped up Brute Chieftain getting the drop on them can kill them
>Capable of operating on their own if need be, and each is tactically competent in their own way
How can Blue Cucks even compete?

Red Team has always been the best team, we've known this for years.

Attached: Sarge_S10.png (749x729, 671K)

Oh no 343 NEVER changed anything they just EXPANDED on it

Attached: 15678908765.jpg (711x530, 30K)

Yes, that's what they did, crazy.

>what looks cool
>overdesigned shit

>Chief is Jesus
woah

Halo fans in 2007
>Lul chef is jesus
343 in 2014
>Chief is literally Jesus

Attached: 1587656875967.jpg (538x445, 73K)

>humans are special and bestest species out of divine right
Shit-tier trope, desu.
>forerunners would blindly give the keys to kingdom to whatever happens to evolve from their genetic seed, or risk their ruins being left locked for eternity if humanity manages to die off by chance
Shit writing.

Attached: endless-space-2-hissho.jpg (1920x1080, 584K)

I hate 343 so god damn much

>The Flood was originally spread because ancient humans were using primordial Flood goop to feed their space chihuahuas
Is this better?

Attached: 1543864155648.png (1908x1065, 2.63M)

Wasn't the livestock-flood connection thing written in Bungie days?

Nope

I genuinely do not remember a fucking thing about Halo 5 outside of the opening where they just kill off the guy from Halo 4 immediately, that prissy little "Spartan" "fight" between Chief and Locke, and the Elite homeworld. I remember the massive amounts of false advertising though.
I own the Legendary Edition and bought it for full price, too.

Attached: 1527376573443.gif (320x287, 2.36M)

>As the Forerunner-Precursor war drew to a close, the few remaining Precursors that were pushed out beyond the edges of the galaxy to Path Kethona sought vengeance against the Forerunners. A few Precursors were spared by the Forerunners, while others became a dust which could regenerate into their past forms. Over time this dust became so corrupted that it could only cause horrific disease and mutation. The Precursors, driven insane by the rebellion of their creations, embraced this corruption and became part of it, becoming the Flood to destroy the Forerunners as a final act of vengeance against them. They sent several ships containing this powder to Forerunner controlled planets.

Much better.

I should have said what they think looks cool. Because a pizza skin on an assault rifle in halo does not look cool. At all.

>Wiki canon

Well of course they're the best team. They have a puma.

>Bungie Forerunners were depicted in ways that always seemed inhuman, as if they combined themselves with their own machinery and lost all of their humanity in their outward appearance
>343 Forerunners are just humans with weird scrunched up faces and in metal suits

It's funny how Halos have taken a back seat in a fucking franchise called "Halo" thanks to 343

In Halo 1, yeah. Halo 2 had mostly decaying stone ruins suited for human proportions and weird submarine lifts with scenic underwater routes.

>ODST
>Reach
Also, if they hadn't, people would be complaining about the series not being able to go beyond rehashing the original games.

They never did explain why Delta Halo's temples were made of stone.

>most recent game to have a Halo ring as a central plot element in the last 10 years was Halo Wars 2, a spin off game of a different genre

Tbh I never really liked the fact that they were always around in the books. I always thought Chief was better as "The Last Spartan".

I can never like 343i new Halo games simply for the existence of the Spartan IVs. They are dumb and take away the mystique the actual Spartans had as unstoppable war machines.
>Spartan IIs: kidnap kids and raise them as supersoldiers and augment them plus power armor
>Spartan IIIs: do the same thing as IIs, but cheaper and mass produced
>Spartan IVs: fuck it just give our ODSTs some fancy armor
Also 343i killed off the Rookie in a shitty book with a retarded plot, so seriously fuck them.

The Halos themselves were bound to take a backseat at some point, there’s only so much you can do with muh galactic annihilation after 9 games

Chief was always space Jesus.
>the ultimate savior of the universe

Attached: dHspsYW.jpg (5312x2988, 3.94M)

I don't consider that book canon.
Rookie has his own ODST squad.

But halos were only in 3 games?

This. It completely undermines the S-II characters and their purpose.

>Rookie is dead
Nothing more I love than shitty hack writers that get their hands on characters that aren't originally theirs killing them or making them into the complete opposite or just jokes simply because they can. Borderlands 2 is still the pinnacle worst example of this. I want to fucking strangle Burch.

Attached: 1543940211092.jpg (500x375, 138K)

S-IVs fit perfectly in line for the purpose of the S-IIs, that purpose being the strong arm of humanity, the only thing that could make them even closer is to use the IVs on other humans

I liked their no bullshit autism

Linda was canonically player 2 in Halo 1, prove me wrong

This, fuck that book. Looking forward the most to co-oping ODST with my buddies when MCC drops on PC.

>Chief was always space jesus
>Posts something form 2008 that's not canon from an artbook

She has a man's voice.

I liked how in Reach you could tell the difference between the Spartan IIIs most of the squad and Jorge being a II because he's fucking huge in comparison.

Halo 1 didnt have co-op, underaged spotted.

That was made by Bungie you dumb fuck it also confirms that Chief isn't a cyborg, I guess that means Samus is also not a cyborg.

I can't wait to LASO ODST. Feet first into hell, friend.

>Conceptart books are more canon than the games

How's it feel to be genuinely braindead?
youtube.com/watch?v=G4qCAQmhu2w

No. Killing off all the characters one by one was the best part. The Spartans are all about heroic last stands. Reach should stay a tragedy.

Yeah. I would have liked it better as a separate co-op campaign set in the past instead of drudging them back, but I like the idea of it.

>what the devs that made the game say is not canon
>what I say is canon
Kill yourself and your mental illness.

What the hell have I told you about making up animals private?

This, I thought this would be Halo: Reach, such a disappointment.

So you're unironically arguing that conceptart is canon

So you're unironically admitting you're mentally ill?

Fuck 343's nu-halo trilogy. 28 year war where the UNSC was completely decimated, lost all their millitary facilities, all their fleets and has potential millions of jobless colonist refugees at Earth with nothing to go back to. I can't even imagine what the economic damage must look like after the war losing all that millitary infrastructure. How does that all get magically fixed in 10 years? Game should have been about Terrance doing his absolute best to keep continuity of government while constantly fighting ONI overlords who aren't interested in rebuilding but instituiting lethal martial law.

Attached: 1552784500767.jpg (708x398, 26K)

It's a saga.

What's that suppose to mean?

It's a saga, fucking retard.

No, they should have brought them back in Halo 4.
>4 is about humanizing Master Chief, explores his childhood in the Spartan program, characterizes/explains Blue Team to people who don't read the novels or didn't see Linda in Reach/CE:Anniversary.
>instead of Spartan Ops being about Jul just to fucking immediately kill him off in 5, introduce and characterize Fireteam Osiris from the perspective of Buck
But it doesn't really matter because there is just so fucking much poorly written axillary bullshit to sift through just to understand what the fuck is going on and when you do understand you realize it's almost all retarded garbage.

Post war Halo stories should have been left to books and other side material. Games can't really accurately depict how fucked the situation was.

Even if the war was over humanity isn't just going to forget how the aliens that had been steamrolling them for decades are still out there.

More than three games, dumbass.

Just like Star Wars. Gets worse the longer it goes on.

Seems like it's starting to get better now, also this isn't tranny Wars and it never was, stop comparing Halo to it, Halo didn't kill off the main protag for diversity points, Metroid is a better comparison.

fuck spartans

Attached: 1523858140438.jpg (1024x986, 55K)

Which ones?

>Replaced by Spartan 4s

Attached: 1475445861705.jpg (260x273, 17K)

My beautiful wife Catherine-B320 of course!

Halo died the moment it stopped being about the military but in space and started being a half-assed space opera. Nobody wanted this shit.

How does this excuse 343 garbage writing and shitty retcons?

I feel like it's a decent concept IF they brought them back one at a time. Like bring just Linda back and introduce her and all that.
Bringing 3 Spartans "back" at the same time is just way too coincidental and impossible to introduce and develop properly to the 95% of players who have no fucking clue who they are.

Linda

>shitty retcons
Like what, you say this shit but then ODST and Reach exist.

It was a good idea but poorly executed, like Halo 5’s plot in general. It was due for the EU to start mixing with the game plot but without proper context the characters have no impact unless you are a nerd who reads books.

man i just thought he was a big guy

Good idea, bad execution. Halo Reach should have been Red Teams stuff from the book, not gay ass Spartan 3s.
Red Team was created before Halo 2.

>Just tried to play Halo 5 after like 4 years
>it doesn't feel like fucking Halo at all
holy fucking shit, this MP is garbage, they better remove half this shit in the newest game

They admitted in an interview that they're never returning to the old Halo formula because kids these days only play BRs and they can't afford to make high quality games

I'd like a source because I hope it isn't true. Seeing all this shit pisses me off, people just fucking bouncing around, the stupid fucking thrusters and sights. I fucking hate it

gamespot.com/articles/halo-infinite-could-use-games-as-service-structure/1100-6465482/
>Comments from Kiki Wolfkill, the head of Halo trans-media at 343, has added more reason to believe that the studio is imagining this as an ongoing game or live service.
>"We have to be able to change content quickly,"
>"We can't afford to wait three years every time we drop a new product... because the games kids are playing are changing every week."
>Wolfkill also referenced "having a set of rules that people can engage with and buy into for years to come."
gamespot.com/articles/halo-infinite-dev-responds-to-microtransaction-con/1100-6461977/
>A months-old job advertisement at Halo Infinite developer 343 Industries basically confirms something that is already very obvious: Halo Infinite will have microtransactions in some form.
>"I know there's very little real info to go on thus far, but I wouldn't worry over a job description," 343 community manager Brian Jarrard said on Twitter. He addded that the specific wording in the job ad for an Online Experience Design Director is "all pretty standard stuff" in the gaming business. "[It] doesn't mean it'll result in something bad,"
>The language in the job post is leading some Halo fans to worry about Halo Infinite's use of microtransactions. The job ad states that the successful candidate will oversee numerous aspects of the connected, online experience including microtransactions and other systems that "encourage players to return again and again with their friends."
>This person will "design and deliver a AAA player investment experience that focuses on our fans and their desire to express their passion for our franchise (including but not limited to microtransactions)," reads a line from the job ad. It also states that a successful candidate should have a "comprehensive understanding of player psychology and what drives them to return to an experience."

halo wars 1 and 2 cutscenes are so fucking good

> they can't afford to make high quality games
That's not what they said, they delayed Infinite to make high quality games, all Microsoft devs are now getting long development times like Sony and Nintendo, say what you know and what you don't know and shut up. They're also just following Halo 5's live service free DLC model and that's it.

They said they can't take the same amount of time Bungie did making Halo games because they're missing out on the BR market

Yeah, but it was handled subtly. The problem with 343 is they hamfist everything and make everything super literal, taking out all the mystery of the universe and the characters. It's like they're driven to dissect and explain things in the most autistic ways like bad fanfic writers, which they basically are.

None of that says anything about not making a "high quality product", what's with you Sonyfags in making shit up out of your ass? Even the Microtransaction part is sketchy because Infinite will not have real money microtransactions.

no

They didn't say that at all shitposter, they said that they're following the Halo 5 free DLC service of giving out free DLC like maps, weapons, vehicles, armor, and cosmetics. Stop making shit up.

>Infinite will not have real money microtransactions.
>calling me a consolewar shill

Attached: 1543567897.jpg (480x360, 21K)

They said they're not going to take the same time to make halo games like Bungie did because they can make more money pumping out shit games with microtransactions.

And Bonnie Ross completely contradicts the bullshit you made up, try learning how to comprehend.

You clearly are.

>they forgot bloodwings gender
lol