COMEDY ≠ HORROR

Resident Evil 4 might have the most terrifying introduction in the history of the fucking medium.

The dread and tension built by your first foray into the village evaporates in mere hours due to terrible writing and characters that don't belong in any game — let alone a fucking horror release.

We can agree on this, right?

Attached: PURPLE MIDGET.jpg (666x666, 52K)

I played Resident Evil 4 when I was 8 on Gamecube and I loved it.

No complaints and I loved the castle.

>We can agree on this, right?
nah you're a faggot

No thanks, bro.

I loved every bit except the island. Fuck the island.

Are (You) fucks gonna claim right here and right now that the purple midget makes the game better as a whole?

He was better than Saddler, yes.

user, you're small time.

MASTER OF UNLOCKING GOOD
YOUR RIGHT HAND COMES OFF BAD

he wasn't scary but his minions were

The Regenerators made up for it.

I do miss that meme. It was a better time.

Who was the hardest boss?
I haven't played in years but I remember always having trouble with this guy

Attached: U3.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

>76 shells

He was like Napoleon Dracula

RE4's only issue is the Castle act is way too drawn out with little breathing room between each "big" level.
>getting inside the fucking castle with the catapults and shit and of course the castle ganado are the ones with the highest chance of jizzing out a plaga
>then you have to take on a garrador for the first time
>then fucking water hall
>then the fucking invisible bugs and shit

There's really no "cool off" encounters for a long stretch of it.

Normally I would agree but the ridiculous banter between Leon and the villains is too good to pass up.

Attached: 1549588496784.gif (638x358, 2.48M)

It's fun because it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Then you take a break from the game for a day.

I loved the castle. This game didn't need any more breathing room, it's far enough from its horror roots as it is

The game's tone is like Evil Dead.

I honestly don’t know how you’d do horror without comedy

Yeah. That's not a virtue.

Give a fuck how beloved that film is.

Resident Evil as a franchise would be better without the goofy bullshit.

Attached: BEACON.jpg (666x666, 526K)

>Resident Evil as a franchise would be better without the goofy bullshit.

You’re an incredibly boring person

Horror is literally the kino vehicle for comedy you fucking pleb.

So then you just don’t like resident evil. I mean that’s fine nobody can be perfect really.

???
Dead Space 1 was scary and had no humor

RE1 - RE3 (including remakes) are not that goofy. They try to be serious but only fail because they're 90's Capcom.

RE4 and especially Code Veronica is where the series started to get cheesy. Though I thought it was charming in RE4 and RE7

What? A lot of those jump scare moments had excellent comedic timing. Dead space 1 was full of gags

I only remember that happening like once. Overall the game had hardly any comic relief

Is there actually any Japanese game with good writing?

Earthbound.

I quit RESIDENT EVII. VR around the part where you face Jack in the garage. I had to return my Virtual Reality headset — and I won't play the game without that shit.

I didn't notice much cheese.

The purple midget stands in stark fucking contrast to the awkward dialogue you find in almost every Japanese release.

Final fantasy 5

>re4
>ever scary

Attached: becca_face_wat.jpg (500x600, 44K)

Bloodborne

The Castle was the best part of the game.

Regenerators were the scariest part. Unlike RE5 at least it tried.

>laughing at a game for its stupid silly story
vs
>laughing with a game that makes fun of its stupid silly story

I would much rather see top bantz over edgy shit for teenagers.

um, gonna thread invade for just a sec

Im scared during my leon A speed run on hardcore, so much I saved in the chesspiece save room, 1:30 in, the time wasted was an aborted attempt to get the magnum, aborted because thumper and the lickers seem to be teaming up on me every time corning me and either killing me or making me run around long paths full of enemies who I have not put down

I know I have to deal with the mutants, and g2 birkin, BUT once I'm past g2 the labs are a breeze for me, its only the double licker room that's a hassle and even then I'll just sprint through like I've done before

But yes, 1:30 about to engage the fuckers in the water, is my run salvageable despite the poor save point?

Attached: test.png (918x717, 323K)

MEESTER KENNEDYYY.

the games wackiest dialogue happens in the castle, the same place with some of the most tense moments of a first playthrough like the right hand, the water room, garradors in tight spaces ect. most of the dialogue beore and after that first village scene is just stupid quips too

it's only when the story actually starts taking itself a little seriously on the island that the game stops being tense (because this is what RE4 and all survival """horror""" games are, they're tense instead of scary) because by that point you're better at the combat and its a lot more of the focus

>>then you have to take on a garrador for the first time
>>then fucking water hall
>>then the fucking invisible bugs and shit
All of those were pretty cool

If you can actually guarantee that you can finish the rest of the sewers and the labs in an hour, you can still make time, but if you're at the chesspiece room at 1:30 I don't know what you're even doing

you shouldn't even bother getting the magnum until you return to the RPD after entering the sewers, that way Mr. X is gone and you can grab the magnum and both upgrades in one trip.

I fucking love RE4 but after playing REmake and RE2, I understand why people feel that this is where the series started to go to shit.

>More emphasis on Action than Survival Horror
>Less serious tone and more one-liners
>Island level goes full-on hollywood flick

I feel like both styles of RE can coexist though.

RE6 is the last half of RE4 but done properly

I've played the village a dozen times and never gone past the castle.

Yeah, I can agree with you on that. I think Resident Evil 4 is an amazing game, but I don't feel like it's an amazing Resident Evil game, if that makes any sense. I usually have this kind of sentiment about most franchise games.
It's more action than scares, and Leon is throwing quips, gunning down disgusting foreigners, collecting treasures, and running away from boulders like he's Indiana Jones.

Attached: 1549833222369.jpg (1000x539, 70K)

I don't give a fuck. Faggot

Initially I asked myself if the magnum was worth it and planned to get it early on, fucking about to get one of the spare keys for the lockers, in the end I said fuck the diamond key, lots of backwards and forwards trips, and despite maps literally infront of me I'd end up walking up the wrong set of stair cases in the rrpd like a retard a few times, as in going into the library rather than the waiting room and vice versa, also I hate lickers and would take the time to kill them, all but the one closest to the darkroom which I'd normally kill but I made no plans to head that way

I'll see if I can salvage this, I managed to beat this section on standard in this amount of time, but that was with the magnum, with 12mins to spare, going back at this point would be costly so I'll have to power on with the shotgun and be more willing to use the flame thrower on more than the ivy's (which will all be dead by the time I go through)

While I'm here one more stupid question, flash bangs and ivy's, viable?

Attached: 20190120010238_1.jpg (1600x900, 403K)

I felt there was a pattern that may repeat itself soon

1 came out and we liked it, 2 peaked, but 3 was meh out of them, 4 was well received, 5 was alright but 6 people are up in arms with.

Despite a little deviation people liked 7, I fear 9 will be real shithouse, like taking what 7 and what 8 bring and throwing it out the window, not counting spin offs or remakes

>don't give a fuck
>post in thread
this ladies and gentlemen is a contradiction

good game is good

Attached: 384747485848.jpg (1663x2223, 639K)

stop doing this

based basketball playing American

you're small time

Both shit versions. Only the Gamecube version has the whole game with all the original assets and effects. The PC port was based on the PS2 version and didn't even have dynamic lighting, it was awful.
Why the hell didn't Capcom just use the Gamecube version as a basis for all RE4 ports?

I like to think that they've learned from their mistakes. The main problem was trying to top RE4 each time in action/matrix-tier conspiracy bullshit, and they're clearly steering clear of that with these new games. I doubt they'd go back to it (except in DLC, but that doesn't really matter).

Resident Evil has always been somewhat silly. Hell in 7 one of the main antagonists is a southern fried swamp rat who has a chainsaw sword duel with you. While quoting Evil Dead.

You shouldn't waste grenades on Ivys. Use your handgun or shotgun to shoot the bulbs, one shot is enough to stun them long enough so you can run past.

Grenades should be saved for Super Tyrant.

Where's everyone going? Bingo?

Thanks for the thread, Yea Forums. When we get a 404, drinks are on me.

Attached: leon.png (979x955, 877K)

Salazar is the only bad guy I remember from any Resident Evil game.

Killer7

how is the ps4 version?

Attached: claire_face_happy.jpg (629x683, 65K)

Jack having a chainsaw sword duel with you and quoting the evil dead after hours of you sneaking and hiding from him out of sheer defenseless terror is pure bathos, so it works. It's the balance of the overarching atmosphere and the occasional absurd moment which makes it work. Pure absurdity and B-movie drama, like RE6, loses this and becomes just shit all around.

>terrible writing
>'DURRRRR COMEDY BAD'
what

Shut the fuck up faggot

>Resident Evil as a franchise would be better without the goofy bullshit.
You're acting as if the inclusion of goofy shit is intentional.

stop being black

Why did it change? I mean where has everybody gone?
Bingo?

MEESTER KENNEDY

I want to apologize Yea Forums.
About a year ago i made a thread about RE4. I bought it on PS4 and couldn't stand the 'tank' controls. Dropped it after 30 minutes of gameplay and shitposted about it here. Now, a year later, after playing the Resident Evil 2 Remake and loving every second of it, i gave RE4 another shot. Once i got used to the controls i now understand why everyone praises this game. It's a really fun action game, especially when you consider this game came out in 2005.

I'm sorry Yea Forums

Attached: 9200000068046901.jpg (550x685, 88K)

it's okay, glad to hear you had fun with it after trying again.