JRPG Thread

Let's have a JRPG thread!

What are you currently playing?
What are you looking forward to?
Favorite JRPG?
Post screenshots and lewds

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 227K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7jd6-Sb25Vo
siliconera.com/2018/12/20/crystar-appears-to-be-headed-westward-in-2019/
youtube.com/watch?v=_ARxsQ46hJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fG9Y5gxXXeM
youtube.com/watch?v=NiCi_O41a-0
youtube.com/watch?v=_N6f61cR7pI
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=110&v=9vbsI9xFuo8
youtube.com/watch?v=_HUoXQ7XC3s
youtube.com/watch?v=rBAMfL6EGdI
youtube.com/watch?v=kM3tg231Kw4
ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical
youtube.com/watch?v=3CgBtEF6rNU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm playing pic related, I just bought it yesterday.
It's probably gonna keep me busy for years.

Attached: 45f8b47dd0f66c0b5971ad9f87c27bb31b5fec9f.jpg (616x353, 56K)

Just beat pic related last night.
Despite its flaws its still one of the greatest games of all time imo. The plot and characters are just suberb and I wasn't expecting for my favorite aspect of the plot to be the romance. Fei and Elly's love that crossed generations was so well done, especially when you go back to Zeboim towards the end and see the scene from 4000 years ago that inspired them to create Emeralda.

Though I do have two lingering questions. How did Zephyr and Krelian live so long, and why did Krelian's hair color change?

Also is Saga worth playing? Love the Blades and Gears but I hear Saga is the weakest link overall with only 3 being really exceptional.

Attached: Xenogears.jpg (1920x1080, 279K)

>busy for years
How do you figure that?

Playing NG+ of this. I love this game so much, but I do hate how hard it is to find another game that makes me feel similarly. I can't recommend it enough.

Attached: Persona-5-group-625x352.jpg (625x352, 58K)

Oh yeah and looking forward to Xenoblade X2 one day... and FFXII Switch release as my next focus. Probably gonna go back to Pokemon Black 2 or Persona 4G to hold me off til then.
Favorite JRPG is a tossup between FFIX, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade X, and now Xenogears. I like em all too much to decide.

Attached: 155457.jpg (500x495, 45K)

How do you find it so far?

I could never get past this genre's Turn Based Combat so I couldn't bother playing them. I liked Earthbound if that counts though.

>>What are you currently playing?
Juggling The Last Remnant, Valkyrie Profile 2, Rune Factory 4, Alliance Alive, and Legend of Mana, but recent work/life stuff has made it hard to dedicate time to them.

>What are you looking forward to?
Pic related soon™.

Attached: Saga-Scarlet-Grace-Feature-Image.jpg (640x360, 41K)

I've tried Ys 7, Ys Memories of Celceta and the PSP version of Trails in the Sky but could never really get into any of them. Pic related is the only Falcom game I immediately liked, but its stuck on PC which I never really use for gaming so eh. Though it is on sale right now on Steam so I might actually pick it up, any of you anons played it through?

Is TitS really worth playing? I always hear such good things but the combat and story just felt slow from what I played.

Attached: 1*vUFlspcVYdq60yM6tvQ4Ew.jpg (1280x960, 350K)

>What are you currently playing?
Dragon Quest 11 on PC, with orchestra patch. Currently 25 hours of play time, and honestly, I'm not liking it very much. It's a mediocre 6/10 game, some scenes are too long for absolutely no reason and only now when I got a ship I started to enjoy it, but just a little. Started with superstrong enemies challenge. The game was hard at the beginning, but now it's piss easy. Also Dungeon Rushers on Switch, it's OK.
The Alliance Alive remaster; I love that game! Was hyped for SMT V, but God knows when it will come out. I bought few RPGs recently on Steam sale, such as Chrono Trigger, so maybe I put DQ11 ''on ice'' and (re)play that.
>Favorite JRPG?
Lunar SSSC
>Post screenshots and lewds
Nah.

I'm a very slow gamer with not a lot of free time, and I heard this game (+ all its sequels) are super long so...

I'm just at the beginning, just finished the first Sewer tutorial mission. So far I really like the mood and the style, it reminds me of old school RPGs with a lot of content and tiny details everywhere.

>Playing
Just finished Ys VIII. Thinking of playing FFX, but the recent steam patch apparently broke Untitled Project X. So I'm being lazy about it.
>Looking forward to
Waiting for news on the Grandia Remaster. Also heard good things about Death End re;Quest. Might pick that up.
>Favorite
Suikoden II, Trails FC/SC, FFV, Lunar 2, Lufia 2, Grandia, and Terranigma (if it counts)

Attached: grandia.jpg (760x420, 130K)

Not all JRPGs have turn based combat

Yeah, Trails is pretty good if you like and have the time for long JRPGs with great world-building. The first game starts out really slow, but it ramps up during the end part, and the second game just escalates from there in one of the most kino fashions I've seen in any series. Also, if you're gonna pick up the Trails games on sale, might as well pick up Oath in Felghana and Origin as well, bar none the best Ys games (and maybe Chronicles if you're into bump combat).

>+ all its sequels
Now it makes sense, write stuff like that in your initial post next time.
1st game is 50 hours
2nd is 60
No idea about 3rd
No idea about Cold Steel

Currently playing smt 4 and persona q
Pre ordered q2 special edition and I’m waiting for smtv news

Attached: B8CB9A1F-39B5-48F8-8DA5-E26CDCF0CD32.jpg (1211x701, 212K)

Death end re:Quest

SRW T

>Favorite JRPG?
I can't just name one

okay

Attached: KINGDOM HEARTS Ⅲ_20190208060136.jpg (1920x1080, 423K)

I’m playing Digital Devil Saga 2 right now
I’m looking forward to the Persona 5 R announcement that should be dropping in a few days

>Waiting for news on the Grandia Remaster
Oh fuck yes, I am also waiting for this so I can play it on the switch. It's gonna be dope.
>Also heard good things about Death End re;Quest. Might pick that up.
I bought it on PS4 a few days ago. The game is... inter esting. So far it's more of a visual novel than a JRPG, there's a lot of VN elements, lots of choices that will lead you to just get a BAD END and die for no reason (which is a bit bullshit) but the game expects you (and rewards you) to take these choices at least once, just remember to save a lot.

The combat system is really interesting, you basically juggle enemies with knockbacks on the battlefield and send them flying against each other or against other party members which causes chain reactions for massive damage. You basically need to "aim" where you're going to hit the enemy just so you can trigger the correct reaction. Plus there are skills that literally change the genre of the game as you 'hack' into the battle to turn it into an FPS game or whatnot.
I'm still at the beginning, so I can't say more, but it's an interesting idea.

>Legend of Legaia
>Wild Arms
>Breath of Fire 3+4
>Legend of Dragoon
>Tales of Eternia

Literally just finished this, I'm watching the anime before I go into NG+

Truly wonderful game, one of the best I've played since original DaS

I play on Vita and would most likely just Pirate them.
Which brings my other concern, the fact that the third title in TitS is PC only at the moment.
I have been thinking of trying the Origins port though.

Are you autistic about reading new NPC dialogue each time a new story beat occurs? Because if so, this series is infamous for having a shitload of them.

Xanadu Next is good. You should get it if the price if low enough. It feels similar to Diablo in terms of presentation; a singular town with variety of dungeons surrounding it, very somber and with tinges of tension with the townfolk. If you play with Kb+M most movement and attacking is done by clicking, but you can play with a controller for a more standard arpg control scheme, so it comes down to preference. The game has a subsystem where you can attach "guardians" to your character for boosts and bonuses, but I found that particular aspect lacking.

Literally these, I thought Dark Souls was the peak of gaming until I got into Persona 5. You guys should play the other Persona games and SMT games to fill the void after P5, they’re great too

Currently going through FF9 on vita while having a busy air travel week. Its the one I know the least about and never actually started. Just hit disc 2 and Rusty best boy

Eh, I personally played the original PC versions, and those games are great on them. Can't say anything for Vita, since I don't own one, so I'd say go for it, in any case.

P5A is a disgrace to the game. Don't waste 12 hours of your life on it.

I've played 4 and really enjoyed it, I'm ordering a few SMT games and Persona 3 for the PS2 soon,

no idea when I'm going to get time to play them all, I only managed to start and finish P5 because I had a week off work

Damascus Gears: SE
Romancing SaGa 3 and same as, tempted to buy the phone version but this time around I want to support the western PC release, also because I've already played the OG Vita version since launch so I can wait for the new content.
>Favorite JRPG?
Too many.

Attached: 2019-03-05-021501.jpg (960x544, 76K)

World of Final Fantasy

Attached: Lloyd cute.jpg (1774x1252, 344K)

Doesn't seem bad so far what's the problem with it?

>Let's have a JRPG thread!
played a bit more of EO5 and tried the Reloaded hack of GS1, surprisingly competently made
RS3 in English at long last
>Favorite JRPG?
Touhou GoS
well have a titty dragon angel

Attached: 20190208222023_1.jpg (640x480, 112K)

Oh I think I saw you saying the same thing on /pg/, yeah you’ll definitely enjoy those you just gotta make time for them

I play through that trilogy twice and I can say I would definitely take Kloe as my wife in a heartbeat

Attached: Kloe2.jpg (2893x4092, 450K)

The plot is boiled down to the bare minimum and still feels rushed. The art and animation are sloppy. There's no tension to the fights. Palace bosses are taken down in minutes. Every other scene is a montage. Ren has zero personality. There's no sense of exploration. The only good part of the show is the music.

Finishing up Vesperia on Switch.
DQ11 for Switch. I finished it on ps4 but would gladly double dip for more DQ.
>Favorite JRPG?
DQ3.

I honestly had no idea Romancing SaGa 3 is coming out... until I saw your posts, anons. What the fuck?
I bought RS2 for Switch, but haven't played it yet.

Should I play FFVI or Xenogears, Yea Forums?

>basic bitch Kloe
fucking boring, get some more interesting and beautiful taste

Attached: 1523165750290.png (1440x1134, 3.05M)

Was playing DQV and FF4, started DQ Builders on my vita
Looking forward to Builders 2 and DQXI definitive, initially Builders put me off due to me thinking it was just a Minecraft carbon copy but it actually takes the concept and improves upon it, it feels more like a solid RPG than a second-rate Mineclone
Favourite RPG is DQVI

Attached: DSCN7266.jpg (1152x864, 423K)

Play __both__

>I bought RS2 for Switch,

Can anyone confirm for this user whether they fixed the input lag issues.

Nothing.
Nothing.
Dark Souls. Of the ones I played when I was a teen I have very fond memories of Final Fantasy IX.

Redpill me on Legend of Legaia and Legend of Dragoon. Are they actually good, or mediocre games that people remember only for the unique combat (former) and production values (latter)?

>that DS
Absolutely disgusting. What the fuck was Nintendo even thinking. Who the fuck buys this kind of shit?

Attached: laughingwhores.jpg (446x400, 134K)

After years and years of trying I simply don't understand how people can enjoy normal turn-based battle systems if it's not something with actual thought behind it like SMT. I'd literally rather sit in a dentists chair than play those games, which is a shame cause I can't experience the great music they have.

Legend of Dragoon has a really REALLY gooid story, if you ask me. It starts slow, but as you play it becomes better and better. You should definitely try that one.

Atelier Totori. I fell in love with Sophie's game and got the collection on Vita to pass time at work. Gathering, crafting, bombing, cute girls, I couldn't ask for more.

Attached: sample_782f2bae10232cc38cbd166d64e2ff6ea62a4ef1.png (850x1189, 1.73M)

It was announced around a year and a half ago.
Squenix remembered that SaGa games exist so Kawazu is going full force.
youtube.com/watch?v=7jd6-Sb25Vo
Should be released in a few months I guess, Artepiazza is handling it just like the RS2 remaster, but Kawazu is overseeing the entire thing and he's already busy with two other games, so things are going slowly, especially since they decided to skip the original Vita/Mobile release and go directly for a global one for all platforms.

Attached: Scarlet Fragments.jpg (856x907, 279K)

SMT's depth and complexity is way too overstated these days and has basically become a giant meme that people spout to come off as hardcore.

Persona 4 Golden.
I'm 51 hours into my first playthrough. I loved Persona 5, but i have to say P4G is better overall. I want to play Persona 3 next, but im having a hard time deciding between p3p or fes. Portability is the way I'm leaning.

P3P cause the female MC is cutest girl in the series

Finishing up Ys Oath on Nightmare difficulty
Also started playing Breath of Fire 3, my first BoF game
Ys IX, SMT V
>Favorite JRPG?
Xenogears for the story, Ys Oath/Origin for gameplay and music, and I suppose the Sky trilogy for the archetypal JRPG experience and atmosphere

Attached: 1532363094909.gif (1024x464, 365K)

I don’t know, if the other JRPGs I’ve played other than SMT, DQXI and FFX have a lot of different mechanics that make them interesting to play in their own right, with different moves needed for their different situations

I was at the Obelisk in Smt 3 and had no real trouble (only dies like 4 or 5 times). Should i play the hard mode version of smt 3?

Attached: Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nocturne_NA_cover.png (220x309, 108K)

FES is the proper way to experience it and the way most people did, P3P is for people who want it to be more like a VN where you date the guys and the gameplay is even easier

Just started P3P because P5 left me empty inside and I need something similar to that

I'm not the guy you quoted, but he is right. And no, it's not about ''hardcore and difficult battles'', but instead using something else other than Attack command with healing here and there, which is how you can beat most JRPGs. Magic is pretty much useless in majority of RPGs, it's better to hit them with your sword. In SMT, using buffs and debuffs is important which, again, doesn't make the game ''more difficult'' but instead breaks the monotony.
I am not a big fan of ATB, but I liked combat in Lightning Returns. DOn't lioke Chrono Cross, but combat is good. Resonance of Fate has an interesting battle system, etc.

The greatest JRPG of all time

Attached: dark souls.jpg (250x310, 50K)

I was going to give you an explanation but this user did it for me Another game I appreciated for trying something different was Radiant Historia, although in every other aspect it was just decent.

It's really not. SMT is as broken as any other jrpg. Place agi buff, spam physical AOE unless they resist then it's magic. Rinse and repeat

user I have about 7 different types of DS's, I just rotate between them for different games

I get this from everyone, but im not sure if it will make that much of a difference to me or not. I'll probably borrow my friends copy of fes and try both for an hour or two to decide.

Anyone know if innocent sin is worth playing?

But why though? Do you have a mental illness?

So you never used Sukukaja, Tarukaja, Debilitate, War Cry and other similar skills in SMT games? And, if you did, name few games other than SMT where buff and debuff spells are useful/mandatory. (excluding Final Fantasy XIII trilogy)

>Despite its flaws its still one of the greatest games of all time imo.
But the gameplay sucks and the story presentation becomes such a clusterfuck by disc 2.

That's still just repetition in the context of a couple of games. Basic attack-heal-attack turn-based systems are in literally hundreds of games and even almost all of the most beloved games are like that.

>name few games other than SMT where buff and debuff spells are useful/mandatory
Any JRPG. No exceptions. If you're playing any JRPG without buffs/debuffs, you're a genuine retard.

I personally really enjoyed the way turn based combat was implemented in Octopath Traveler. It's a shame that it doesn't shine except for a few fights (like the werewolf side boss, or the secret final boss), most of the game is really very easy, however the combat system itself is very well designed. Having to juggle recovery, buffs, BP, and all job and character abilities (+ party composition) while maximizing the exploit of enemy weaknesses (like persona) really made the game super fun for me.
The final secret boss battle was a really long (2+ hours) fight where I literally had to go all out with items, recovery, BP prioritization, and chaining spells to break defenses otherwise I'd have been a goner. It had a shitload of strategy, even just to 'synchronize' which parts of the boss to break in order to make the core vulnerable.

You're objectively wrong so I guess it's time to stop discussing with you.

Yes Innocent Sin is really good. You should play Persona 1 first because they’re linked, then Innocent Sin then Eternal Punishment

nothing right now, but i finished pic related last night. it seems to be a polarizing, "love it or hate it" type of game, and i loved it. i'll even go as far as saying that doing the musician route takes it from a solid 7/10 to a 9/10. i wish more jrpgs had a villain route like this.
chocobo's dungeon, digimon survive, saga scarlet grace, cold steel 3 and many others.
>Favorite JRPG?
persona 2, soul hackers and cyber sleuth.

Attached: 7B3ACDE1-0411-403C-A6F3-D67E02C53D30.jpg (675x900, 195K)

I've been playing JRPGs since the early 90s, I think I've played almost all series/franchises and even some of the most obscure JP-only never translated games... and honestly I never had to bother with buff/debuff spells in any of them. There might have been some exceptions here and there over the years, but for the VAST majority of games, just attack/heal is enough.

I should play that game, bought it but it's still on my shelves. Thanks, user!

>I think I've played almost all series/franchises and even some of the most obscure JP-only never translated games
Lol, no you didn't, not even that user but stop with your bullshit.
>but for the VAST majority of games, just attack/heal is enough.
LMAO

>name few games other than SMT where buff and debuff spells are useful/mandatory.

Baten Kaitos, FFV, Most SaGas after the GB ones, FFT/A, hell even most Dragon Quests -which a lot of people harp on for being the epitome of "press Attack for all battles"- they're useful.

basically. Even in super easy RPGs like AT and GS you'd be daft to not use buffs.

What am I in for?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-17 Thank you Sergey - Solaris Japan - Checkout.png (443x170, 27K)

So what you're saying is, none of the games that people actually know and play.

Bad games?

Most people just waste hours upon hours on grinding just to make buffs irrelevant, then complain how they're are irrelevant.

And the whole argument is stupid either way, SMT as a whole has bad battle design precisely because buffs are mandatory, all battles in SMT outside of trash mobs follow the same exact "strategy" of buffing, pulling the weakness lever and healing, there's really nothing else to them, at that point I'd prefer games where buffing isn't always relevant so I don't have to follow the same boring meta every damn time, which end up being the same braindead thing as mashing attack, but needlessly longer for the pretense of "strategy".

>none of the games that people actually know and play.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. You asked for games, I listed games. It doesn't matter if a million people know and played them, or only 20 people did. Also
>FFV
>FFT
>Dragon Quest
>no one knows or played
Nigger fucking what?

Now I am trying to go through all of the Persona games and SMT games after I beat P5. So far P1 was bad and P2 was really good on P3 now liking the cast so far, but when do I get the robutt and can I fuck her?

Attached: 1444876432524.jpg (890x1170, 133K)

Name a JRPG, chances are I've played it. Now go kys retarded zoomer shitposter

>Blue Reflection
Pretty bad game. Wannabe yuri persona clone, except gameplay is really really bad, dungeons are just the same 3-4 copypasted areas. Enemies are all the same and there's really 0 challenge whatsoever. You play it for the 'everyday' yuri school life cutscenes and interactions. If that's your thing then... go ahead. But it's really bad.

>Death End Re;Quest
see it seems decent so far.

Nope, I asked for games, not the user you quoted. He just ''hijacked''.
Baten Kaitos has a good battle system, can't believe I forgot about it.

The Adventure of Hourai High. Who were the villains?

Krelian implanted regenerative nanomachines in himself to live longer as well as Zephyr and the elders of Shevat as a punishment death wouldn't end their feelings of remorse.
Krelian's hair likely changed due to age. It's never really addressed though.

>Playing
Kh2fm on my PS2
>looking forward
To play? TWEWY, Nocturne and dark souls,
Coming out? smtv looks cool but it's scaring me
I don't have a switch so I won't care for a long time
>Favourite
I really liked persona 3, also mother 3 is one of my all-time favs

not that user, but hourai high has been on my backlog forever. is it any good?

Finished Terranigma again.

Shit was way ahead of its time and rightfully regarded as a fan favorite gem.

Anyway, thinking of playing Strange Journey on my phone next because its been a while since I played any SMT. Also itching for a replay of DQV. Or maybe I'll just settle for some old-FE.

Baten Kaitos 3 NEVER EVER

Currently playing p4. Looking for the clues for that weird kid at the beginning that tried asking Yukiko out. I've been enjoying it so far. I guess my favorite jrpg would be Persona 3 Fes despite the flaws it has. The Megami Tensei games in general are really great.

Attached: ps2_persona_4-110214.jpg (300x300, 31K)

>Seriously calling anyone zoomer
ならば、このゲームは何です、BOOMERさん?

Attached: Cap.png (991x703, 251K)

cringe

Touhou Soujinengi Zansho, what's the name of the spell that wipes out all buffs and debuffs?

>i'll even go as far as saying that doing the musician route takes it from a solid 7/10 to a 9/10
More like 8/10, but I agree. Playing the musician route feels so right that I think it would be better if there wasn't a choice at all.

COPE

Attached: Laughing guts.png (245x251, 119K)

...or at least HD remasters.

Nah. Gameplay-wise, it's a shitty FF5 knockoff and story-wise it's a stupid 90s lolsorandumb gag manga.

Writing some half-assed broken Japanese won't make you look cooler on an anonymous imageboard, retarded zoomer.

New fft or tactics ogre when

Yeah, yeah, how about you answer all those posts though?
Oh wait, you can't.

>wanting L I T T L E M O N E Y
oof and yikespilled

I have played DQ I-V multiple times, and XI once. Is VI worth playing or is it better just to skip to VII?

Why do I enjoy this kind of aesthetics so much? Early 2000s 3D aesthetic with simple models and very sharp textures. It's just so comfy

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 2.67M)

I thought it was just Euro hype because they didn't get too many Squaresoft games and had to settle, but it's really great. Probably the fastest ARPG on the system.

disgaa 5, god i love a game where i can let my math autism go wild, it's really fn gameplay wise too, less tedious than the previous ones.
PQ2
>Favorite JRPG?
way too many to name

which one will make it to smash

Nothing for now.
Astral Chain, DQXI S, P5R and I don't even know what else is coming this year.
>Favorite JRPG?
Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FFVI and mostly SNES games but my modern favourite is Nier Automata.

Attached: eb7.png (640x360, 114K)

When is this sudden terranigma hype gonna end? Did the retarded zoomers finally discover the game or some shit? When will people realize that it is an extremely overrated run of the mills ARPG which has an absolute dogshit second half?

I just want the following
>valkyrie profile remake
>FFT remake
>A new vagrant story or ivalice project

Playing TWEWY, Chrono Trigger, and Radiant Historia on the DS and having blast.

Attached: B8DD4AB8-3365-4626-9E6A-E7932807CE26.jpg (1024x576, 120K)

>PQ2
Sorry user, it was pretty disappointing. I was really sad.

This thread made me realize how many games i stillhave in my backlog and for some reason it makes me pretty fucking happy

cope

I need to get back into DQ11 and KH3, but I am playing Another Eden right now.

Project re: Fantasy

Favorite JRPG?
Chrono Cross

Attached: cTevBou.jpg (1920x1080, 1.2M)

wait, is it really that bad?

>playing mobileshit

it does seem obvious that the devs view the musician route as the canon route of the game, since you are given every incentive to do it and no incentive at all to decline.
i actually ended up liking the musicians better than the go-home club for the most part, even though i sided with the go-home club at the end to get the true ending. they did a good job of blurring the lines between the protagonists and the antagonists and making you understand the musicians' point of view.
also, lucid's theme song is a fucking banger and you can choose to play it while whooping the go-home club's ass.

i'm surprised that it's actually ripping off final fantasy, since it looks more like an earthbound ripoff.

Sucks that Crossbell got rid of the rotatable camera and had to scale down the level of detail for its environmental assets.

Attached: NPJH50311_00014.jpg (1858x1037, 421K)

You just reminded me I need to finish Another Eden, I'm still at the beginning but the game is legit good.

Another Eden is actually good though. It's not your typical mobile game shit, it's got solid gameplay, story, and characters. It's an actual *game*

Can’t wait for DQXI on the switch

Just finished KH3 and I had a blast with it. I think a lot of the criticisms it gets are the result of years and years of hype and the game not living 110% up to fan expectations, but I enjoyed it a lot and can't wait to see where the series goes.

Currently playing DQ11 and just got Erik, so I'm pretty early in. Also trying to decide on another JRPG to play alongside it and I think I'm leaning toward Octopath or Xenogears. My wife started playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions and it looks pretty kino too, so I may play that one.

Its why HM64/BtN are still some of my favorite experiences. I think there's some Story of Seasons crossover game coming up that is using isometric/pre-rendered backgrounds that looks really good.

cope ;)

I think I have like 50 or 60 hours in it right now? I finished the 25 available chapters, so I'm just doing very hard dungeons now.

Just finished Dragon Quest 3 GBC. Fucking kino

Play Another Eden

Attached: ApWgItb.jpg (1920x1080, 1.16M)

None of them except Sans

they won't, but he will

Attached: Frog.jpg (470x540, 69K)

Fuck your dumb mobile game.

>Furry with a medieval accent getting into Smash
Yikes, don't want to imagine the cringe fanart that'll surely result from such a mistake

frog is cute

I've got a bunch of PS1 JRPGs accumulated. Now what do I play?
>lunar
>lunar 2
>wild arms
>beyond the beyond
>suikoden
>suikoden ii
>valkyrie profile
>dragon warrior vii
>the legend of dragoon
>legend of mana
>legend of legaia
>saga frontier
>saga frontier 2
>grandia

He and Robo were very cute in the game.

grandia

Ha ha, I haven't played any of these!
Play Dragon Warrior VII.

Wild Arms

>>dragon warrior vii

If you want a single jrpg that lasts for hours upon hours, go for this. Otherwise, save it for last.

I like the Lunar titles.

>dragon warrior vii
You're gonna be in it for the long haul if you play this.

These are too obscure for you.

Attached: RETRO_JRPG-or8.png (1350x9985, 2M)

Am I better playing the 3DS version? I hear it cuts the tutorial from 20 hours to 5.

yes it would be a good choice

What the fuck am I supposed to do against this colossal faggot? I'm reeing hard

Attached: Simeonpuppetmaster.jpg (375x387, 39K)

It's still long. But it's also streamlined yeah.

It's not a tutorial, it's the whole opening act. It's just Dragon Quest without battles, but it's still good. Just make sure you make a separate save on the first island in case you never want to replay the first part ever again.

Nothing right now. Currently playing Yakuza 0, which does kinda feel like an RPG in some senses (like people charging after you on the street and be forced into a battle, leveling up abilities, etc.)

FFVII Remake

>Favorite JRPG?
FFVII

Pic related

Attached: commission__tifa_lockhart_foot_massage_by_solletickle-dcgm0y7.jpg (1013x788, 148K)

same you do for every boss except true final boss

Attached: Di7ZrOqXgAAYLZc.jpg:large.jpg (1280x720, 135K)

Lunar, Lunar 2, V. Profile, Legend of Dragoon, SaGa Frontier 2, Grandia
In any order.

>>Am I better playing the 3DS version? I hear it cuts the tutorial from 20 hours to 5.
the PSX tutorial is not that long, but pretty dull. But the 3DS opening is hardly better because it's incredibly lame how you press a button and those 4 items fall into your hands, like from a meal ticket.

The real reason to choose 3DS is that it later hints you toward fragments you haven't found.

Both SaGa

Attached: DR0KSCJV4AAdgt_.jpg (812x1200, 126K)

It was pretty bad, it just felt kinda bleh. I mean I loved the first one becuase I got lots of fan service out of it at least and got to use the party members I liked to together and such. This one is kinda just the P5 cast talking or doing stuff 90% of the time and it not like exciting stuff and feels kinda boring. You don't even unlock the full P3 cast until the end of the 3rd dungeon. It was pretty disappointing all around.

The two Lunar games and Grandia are by the same dev and have a similar feel when it comes to world and characters, so try those out.

By the way, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and the original Sega CD version of Lunar Eternal Blue are the best versions respectively. Just make sure you patch out all the Working Designs gameplay changes. The patches aren't too hard to find on Romhacking.net.

Attached: LUNAR -ETERNAL BLUE-005.png (960x720, 188K)

I'm currently taking a break from RPGs while I wait for Final Fantasy VII to come out on the Switch in 2 weeks.
But I finished Chrono Trigger and Mother 3 not too long ago, completely loved both games, but I'd have to say I liked Mother 3 way more than CT.
I have a shit load of other JRPGs on the Backlog, mostly FF games and some other lesser known ones.

>FFVII Remake
When was the last time we got info on this?

Attached: Harpoon!!!!.jpg (600x616, 103K)

does bloodborne counts as JRPG?

Chrono Trigger for the first time not zoomer but I've got into RPGs recently
and Persona 5

>Favorite JRPG?
Mother 3

Attached: D0GZjcxX0AIFjtC.png (332x360, 70K)

waow, so it's more like p5 and friends that the first one where you could actually start with either cast? How about the gamleplay and the dungeons, were they any good? better or worse than the first one?

Way too long now.

It's still my most anticipated game, even though there is a strong possibility it will be mediocre. I hope they can recreate something that will be pretty close to the original in terms of how good it was.

how did Working Designs change the gameplay?

Attached: RPGs.jpg (2000x1952, 735K)

They're splitting the game up into episodes. You know it won't turn out good.

>Crono
>"He walks like a duck"
Okay

Yes, you have to start with the P5 crew and it mostly them doing everything and the others just feel kinda there. You get the P4 crew at the end of the 2nd dungeon and the P3 crew at the end of the 3rd dungeon. Gameplay is about the same with a few added things making it a tad better. The dungeons about the same there is 5 of them in total maybe with some neat concepts. I liked dungeon 3, but about the same feeling as as PQ.

I don't recall the specifics, but they changed lots of monster stats, ability scaling, and item prices to make the games more grindy. In Lunar 2 SCD, they even made you use the points you spent to level up ability to SAVE. It's really stupid, but if you undo all the changes, then the game plays fine.

You've got like 3 more towns to go before you end the first third. Stop grinding so much

I feel that I've already played all JRPGs with dating sim mechanics that I can possibly play, excluding Persona series. I hope there still some JRPGs that has such features someday.

Attached: Geolette End.png (1296x759, 753K)

Play Persona you’ll love it

>I feel that I've already played all JRPGs with dating sim mechanics that I can possibly play

List the ones you've played. You might've missed some.

Did you play Bloody Bride?

What's the point of playing dating sims?

Attached: thinking.png (1130x569, 953K)

that's some serious cherrypicking as usual on the jrpg side. there are plenty of jrpgs with adult protagonists, female protagonists, and protagonists with a personality.
maya from persona 2 is a textbook example of a protagonist who goes against every single stereotype of a jrpg protagonist that you've cherrypicked.

Been playing Vesperia and I don't like it. I just beat Alexei and I think I'm gonna call it quits. Might replay Xenoblade 2 to refresh my memory, or play the DLC.
I swapped console with a friends and I played this until a character that uses spears dies I think, but I could never beat it because he wanted his console back.

Attached: 1532162188776.jpg (2604x1040, 798K)

Stop fucking replying to WRPG-Kun, holy fuck, there's two threads he's shitposting in today.
Will you faggots never fucking learn to not feed trolls?

Attached: 1539722280878.png (3508x1450, 2.88M)

You're responding to a bait image. A spam one at that.

Lets see
>Langrisser and Growlancer series
>Summon Night spinoffs
>Luminous Arc series + Stella Glow
>Agarest Series
>Mimana Iyar Chronicles (Poor game didn't even got the whole plot finished)
>Conception 2
>FFF
>Omega Quintet
>Thousand Arms
I think I forgot some other games there but that what I've remembered as of now.

The monster fusion system holds me back there and the calendar system. The autism of getting everything possible in one run is pure hell. Its like I don't have the time to do it again and make sure to get the most optimal play.

The PS1 dating sim? Not yet, quite the hidden gem of Atlus, makes me remember Thousand Arms though.

Shipping the MC is a fun watch for me. Just which heroine will make the MC a better character is enough to drive me to play those.

Attached: 4370 - Summon Night X - Tears Crown (JP)__20479.png (256x384, 80K)

>The PS1 dating sim?
Yeah, it's pretty funny and the artstyle is 90 as fuck, it even has some kind of poor excuse of wizardry combat at night and in some other parts of the game and the option to go /fit/ too.

Oh I know deep down it won't, but I still want to cling on to what little hope there is out there.

Attached: 1548302980964.jpg (600x600, 80K)

> Rune Factory 4 and FFT: WOTL on the side
> RF4S, RF5, Grandia Remaster, Dragon Quest XI for Switch. Also looking forward to EOV and EOX whenever it gets a discount or I cave and buy it
> Persona 3
> Nah

Where? In DQ11? I'm level 24, I don't think I'm overleveled. I just spent too much time at casino, lol.

>that's some serious cherrypicking as usual on the jrpg side
nigga thats literally all he does. I still refuse to believe that he actually believes his shit, and isnt just a long-term troll doing it for a laugh.
i mean it would need serious autism to not see the blatant differences in genres and still pretend its just the same thing better/worse

If anything its the other way around and CT is overhyped because only the US and JP got Terranigma.

Every time the exactly same guy posts the same cherrypick image bait and every time you reply it. At this poimt I just wonder if it's him replying to himself to encourage more people to fail for his bait.

>US and JP
*EU and JP

Really good choices there but I'd recommend Suikoden first purely as it's a great experience and it's one of the shortest.

Ar Tonelico too?

Attached: that mir pic.jpg (653x900, 189K)

Yep, hot damn how can I forgot breaking the 1st game just to see if I can blast Phase 3 in an instant. Its just that I can't play the 3rd one due to not having a PS3.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1366x768, 252K)

it worked when sam & max did it. plus, based nomura is in charge of the remake. really, it all depends on whether square is going to meddle and ruin it like they did to versus.

Currently playing the ps2 remake of the original Phantasy Star. So glad I found out this thing exists.
Looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel 3 and my favorite jrpg is a toss up between Skies of Arcadia and Xenogears

Attached: PhantasyStarGeneration1.jpg (401x573, 56K)

>breaking the 1st game just to see if I can blast Phase 3 in an instant
Collecting those S rank Grathnode to outfit Lyner is pure fun once you can do it. Spica provides you with almost all possible S rank Grathnode. Shits so crazy that Ikaruga Mk.II can be defeated with normal attack without it going overheat. Its 9999 defense is nothing.

Attached: Sanic.jpg (1366x768, 240K)

I see, good shit.

>no ps3
well there's an emulator...

Attached: the greatest philosophical debate.png (1920x1080, 1.43M)

What is your dream JRPG Yea Forums? I would want something like P3P date sims with KH2FM gameplay.

I just want something like grandia or skies of arcadia again. Romance is a must too. Don't care about action or turn based.

Those remakes are SO cheap and ugly looking, man. About the only good thing they do is get rid of the grindiness of the originals.

A JRPG with a job system like FFT, turn-based combat similar to Grandia 2, music along the lines of Xenoblade 1 and 2, and story and world building in the vein of the first three Trails games. It'll never happen.

Something like Shadow Hearts again would be sweet, but I'm also thinking something like Rune Factory and epic adventuring (Maybe Atelier?).

Now thats tough.
>A Dating sim where the MC's child will continue the plot, portion of the plot may vary depending to the heroine that the 1st MC marry.
I guess something with a generation based JRPG plot with variety in story depending on the heroine married on the previous generation.

That's already a thing and it is kinds shitty.

has already happened a few times.

Phantasy Star 3
The Record of Argrest War series

Some combination of FFXII and The Last Remnant. Commanding whole battalions where you can manage each character's growth, as well as how they respond to changing situations via gambits during full scale battles. Though at that point it probably wouldn't be an rpg anymore, but some kind of rpg/rts hybrid, not too unlike the old Ogre Battles I suppose.

Me too user, any other games that look like this? I know the ys games from that era do but that's understandable because they use the same engine.

Rune Factory 2.

cause there's 4 bibles worth of dialogue.

A SaGa game with RDR2 tier budget and carte blanche for anything.

>What is your dream JRPG Yea Forums?
engine like Might and Magic 6-8, but every party member is a cute loli like in Fortune Summoners and there are cute monster girls in the dungeons.

He never mentioned the other games, just the 1st. Even then its about 3 months gametime at most.

Just apply mods to 6 for that.

Crono Trigger gameplay with more interaction between the characters. It will NEVER happen.

eh, I enjoy the original enough that simply adding a bit of extra dialogue and artwork for cutscenes is worth playing it. I also like the additions to the combat.
Only real downside imo is the how you're taken to a different combat screen for random encounters in dungeons make it easier to get lost compared to the original

Attached: medium_4_screenshot.png (640x448, 457K)

Are you telling me that they already exist? Which ones?

I was actually thinking of Agarest with route branching plot.

Why did they have to scale it down?

JRPG with vast open world exploration (like an MMO, but more detailed, kinda like XBC2 but less fragmented), job-based combat system with turn based battles.Compelling story with a scale like FFX or FFIX where you slowly get to visit the entire world (doesn't have to be 'save-the-world' tier) and where you can make your own characters following some 'behaviour' templates so they can fit specific roles in story and cutscenes. Like you can create the "childhood friend" character (either male or female) with some traits like 'aggressive', 'shy', 'wimp', etc and based on a combination of gender + traits they behave differently in the story interactions. Repeat this for every party member.

Attached: niafu.png (680x680, 256K)

Thinking of playing this on vita. What does it remind you of jrpg wise?

Is the Switch version worth paying? It keeps the original graphics.

The Sega Ages version adds auto-mapping, so it depends how you feel about that.

>there's an emulator
I hear AT3 doesn't work super well on it for the time being. Lots of people in the forum threads are complaining about crashes and graphical issues.
different user btw

Are there any nice JRPG discord communities? I need some internet friends to talk about games with :(

Attached: 342621356311.jpg (606x326, 93K)

Sounds like an upgrade, honestly. If I want to map my own games, I'll play Wizardry.

heard it also adjusts gold / rates. In the case of Phantasy Star 2 that really isn't such a bad change.

Not my dream jrpg but ever since Ni No Kuni ended up disappointing me I wished there was a jrpg that takes place in an "idealized"/fantasy version of a Depression-era town where you play as a group of of kids. So like a mix of Ni No Kuni and the Mother series.

wtf why are there two Estelles in this scene...???????

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1920x1080, 830K)

Game is old, made with 4:3 in mind. Put it in 16:9, stuff like that happens, forgotten assets that devs never thought would be seen.

>playing
Etrian Odyssey Nexus
>looking forward to
Replaying the other games in the series
>favourite JRPG
Etrian Odyssey Untold 2

Attached: 1545422486423.png (640x640, 388K)

Plaything through pic related, generally an enjoyable JRPG to pass the time but fuck me the midi ST is bad. Fuck Koichi Sugiyama. I tried turning music down and playing tracks from the orchestral ST it was so bad, but that's too much effort. Gong to slog through, reminds me of the charm of FFIX.

Looking forward to Links Awakening remake. Legit my favourite Zelda, super nostalgic, don't care about the art direction arguments, will have such a big smile on my face playing it.

I'm looking forward to Yoko Taro getting some big budget and free reign for a new game, hoping Platinum are brought on to develop.
Would also love to see a proper Valkyrie Profile game for consoles from Tri-Ace. Sad that all we're probably going to get are butchered western resleases of Anatomia and SINoALICE mobile gachas.

Also hope Masaru Oyamada gets to make Seiken Densetsu 3 remake and it gets brough to west.

Hoping Square Enix find someone with strong vision who can project manage to lead FFXVI and get it developed within a couple of years.

Favourite JRPGs are Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3.

Attached: 8-1538849520-131091574.jpg (600x337, 32K)

get the orchestral soundtrack mod if you're on pc. it makes it a little better.

Absolutely. Got p2 and 3 on ps3 backwards compatibility and I have the first on an emulator for PC. Also got nocturne and the two Digital Devil Saga games

>Thinking of playing this on vita.
i wouldn't recommend playing the vita version. it has less content than overdose, a notorious bug that deletes saves, and an unacceptable frame rate. get it on ps4 or pc instead.
>What does it remind you of jrpg wise?
the obvious comparison is persona, especially since it has "social links" and it's written by tadashi satomi. it's also similar to tokyo mirage sessions due to how idols and idol culture are central to the plot.

Attached: Mu.jpg (671x800, 42K)

>get it on ps4 or pc instead.
What about the Switch version? I've been considering this game for a while and I really prefer to play JRPGs on a portable device rather than my PC/PS4

Replaying my favorite game (Megaman Star Force 3) the 5th time
Looking forward to replay Xenoblade Chronicles to see how many things were foreshadowed

Attached: LEWD.png (949x768, 32K)

I heard it runs like total ass on the Switch.

i played the switch version, and even though i loved the game anyway, i can still admit that it's a bad port. the graphics and resolution are even worse than the original vita version, it's pretty much unplayable in handheld mode, and even in docked mode there's still certain areas with severe frame rate issues. i wish i had bought it on ps4 instead.

Can someone help me find out what this JRPG for the ps1 was called:
You can select different classes at the start of the game and create a small party. You start in an inn. The first boss is a big bear and when you die you have to start from the beginning.

I'm glad I asked around on here. Looks like I'll be avoiding this game and maybe get it once it drops at like 50-70% discount on Steam. Not because it's a bad game, but because I really find it hard to find the time to play JRPGs on my PC instead of a mobile device, so I can just wait until it drops in price. Thanks!

Attached: thumbup.gif (640x360, 2.78M)

I'm on a Megaten binge so i'm switching between SMTIV and P3FES. I'm looking forward to the switch version of DQ11, SMTV, and whatever P5R is. My favorite Jrpg is Mother 3

I am currently not playing any because I am waiting for Sekiro to come out. Once I beat that I cant decide if i want to play XBC2:Torna or KH2FM first.
>looking forward to
Tales of vesperia, FFXII: The zodiac age. DQXI S

I am not really an avid jrpg player and always pick them and after a while drop them, but I really like talking to npcs and visiting towns and buying equipments. the jrpgs I was able to enjoy are summon night swordcraft story and final fantasy V . I am currently thinking of starting radiant historia or suikoden or grandia, are they hard? do they have cool towns to visit?

I've been playing it in handheld mode and beat the first dungeon without seeing any problems. Maybe I am just blind or something.

Boy I am so fucking glad they added a turbo option to speed up the game in this version. I am loving this game but holy fuck it makes it so much better to just be able to speed up cheesy animations and all the back-and-forth trekking around the maps.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1920x1080, 522K)

i stopped playing in handheld mode and went docked-only midway through the first dungeon because it was so bad. there are some later dungeons that lag so much already in docked mode that i can only imagine how much of a slideshow they must be in handheld mode.

check Trails, I liked chatting to NPCs and going shopping in that one.

>radiant historia or suikoden or grandia, are they hard
not a bit, but the towns are nice

well, whenever you get around to playing it, get ready for an interesting ride - especially if you do the musician route.

I found the towns lacking in Radiant Historia. Now, Radiata Stories on the other hand.

>Tales of vesperia
Bought it a few months ago on Switch, it's a really good game. I'm and super busy with TiTS right now, but I plan to finish ToV as well on the go. Definitely would recommend.
>FFXII: The zodiac age
I played this when it came out on PS2. I did not enjoy it as much as other Final Fantasies but it's still an okay game. I've got friends that are total nuts about it so I guess it's a taste kinda thing. I also re-bought it on PS4 when the remaster came out but I really couldn't get into it as much.
I do plan to buy it *yet again* on Switch though, the changes they announced to the zodiac board and how you build your characters made me reconsider it. Maybe I'm just a consumerist sucker but damn... being able to play it portable is gonna be awesome as well.
>DQXI S
Same for this, I bought it on PC and I played ~50 hours of it (didn't finish it yet). It's an... okay game, I guess. The lack of Japanese voice acting really annoyed me because the English voices are absolute garbage (imo at least) so I played it without any. Knowing that they re-dubbed it in Japanese for the new version is making me consider it on Switch again (especially cause it's portable).

Attached: nepnepsmile.png (316x263, 119K)

>being able to play it portable is gonna be awesome as well.

XII is one of my favorite games and it being portable was one of my dreams ever since it first came out.

Xenoblade 2.
50 hours in, I just started to like the combat.

Attached: Not enough.jpg (3000x3375, 1.55M)

Not really playing anything except Phantasy Star 2 and Threads of Fate on and off. PS2 is a disappointment and feels a downgrade to 1, but I haven't gotten very far in it yet so hopefully the story pulls itself together and I really enjoy it. Threads of Fate is nice to look at (especially emulated) and the game is a lot of fun otherwise, still not very far in it though.

Last year I went through all of Final Fantasy minus the spinoffs and MMO's and stuff. Really fun time since I had never played a FF game before and finally I could see why people liked them.

I guess playing through PS3/4 and possibly starting on another JRPG series like Dragon Quest or Wild Arms or something. Thinking of spending the summer playing some PS1 JRPG's since I feel I'm missing out by not playing them.

Favorite JRPG?
Skies of Arcadia for sure, great game that felt like going on a grand adventure. Love it to bits.

Attached: Threads of Fate (USA)-190206-172808.png (1920x1080, 2.94M)

I love XBC2 but holy fuck it takes ages for the combat to actually become interesting, and it's only challenging once you start doing NG+ hardest mode or the challenge arena battles. Literally a game that introduces new fighting mechanics on the fucking LAST boss battle before the end of the game...

DDS2 and Nocturne
P5R
P5 and 4
This motherfucker took like 5 6 hours

Attached: Fuck you Demifiend.png (1360x701, 740K)

That kid freaks me out desu, his face just looks so unnerving

It's just your average Yea Forumsirgin

Playing pic related and while I do love the characters, the character creation and the dungeon crawling, the pacts with their limited skills are a big turn down.

Attached: file.png (1600x900, 2.16M)

His eyes are dead

It's a cool game but I honestly got bored of it really quickly, I don't know why.

>pokemon
>mario rpg
>smt
>ff and dragonquest
Nice list of cool and epic chinese obsure games dude

Nah desu the average Yea Forumsirgin wouldnt have the balls to kill someone

>DQ IX on my phone. Tried playing V and it was okay, but it's a little dated and only worth playing for the story.
>DQ XI and Pokemon. Haven't been keeping up with what's coming out
>Right now I'm comfortably going through the Pokemon generations, so probably that

Attached: shiny_ivysaur_by_kcitock.jpg (500x500, 37K)

>dat SaGa Frontier 2
Looks gorgeous, even today.

i had a lot of fun with this but i got bored about halfway through. as long as you got the right set-ups and make their fave nums even, then you're good

I enjoyed the SMT I references in his dungeon.

I might get back to some PS3 JRPGs in the upcoming months. Not sure if I want to continue/start over FFXIII-2 or start Time and Eternity.

one of my favorite snes jrpgs isn't even on your list, though.

Attached: 929511.jpg (256x224, 74K)

LOL, I love Time and Eternity. Play it first, it's a short game.

Yeah, I picked it up last year for 10 bucks because I thought it looked interesting. I keep hearing that it sucks, but I'll verify that myself. Was going to pay extra for the OST, but it's a 9-track disc. Not worth the extra money.

Saga is pretty different from Xenogears.
>only 3 being exceptional
I think it's an average game with a good soundtrack, but I have a minority opinion, oddly enough. Xenosaga is a series that has widely varying appeal. I don't know if I would recommend it, but if you want to try it through emulation or something, I wouldn't be against it.

Xenosaga 1 has a slow as fuck battle system, and it will bother you. I like the damn game, but I still have a problem with it. 2 is an improvement over 1 in a variety of different ways, but no one will agree with me on that. 3 is a totally different game mechanically(feels similar to FFX but with FFXIII's stun system-- sort of), but it serves to wrap up the narrative. It's okay, but I have no intentions of replaying it. I've got too many problems with it. It's the fan favorite.

>obscure
>breath of fire
>CHRONO TRIGGER
>Dragon quest
>Earthbound
>Tales

>2 is an improvement over 1 in a variety of different ways, but no one will agree with me on that.

The issue isn't so much that people view it as a bad game, but rather that it's so short and suffers from being a set-up for later stuff thus it doesn't really stand on its own as well as the first and third games do.

Replaying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the first time since its release, but this time in Japanese.
I've got Xenoblade Chronicles X and Persona 5 in my backlog, so definitely those.
>Favorite JRPG?
Probably Final Fantasy X, purely because it's my first JRPG and I've got many fond memories of it.

Attached: 1544393922426.jpg (1049x1489, 191K)

>The issue isn't so much that people view it as a bad game
>literally known as the least well-received game
>people shit on it whenever its brought up
>I have actively engaged in single-handedly stating various improvements that were made and things that I liked about the game
Hell, I've even managed to change a few opinions in some threads as a result.

>mfw people make that lame "battle system is too complicated" point
I highly doubt that people complain about being short. The whole series is short. Only the third game is longer than 20 hours.

>doesn't stand on its own
Well, it takes place literally right at the end of the first game, so it wouldn't make sense to just play XSII. I can say, though, that replaying XSII is still enjoyable for me. Greatly. Can't say the same for XSI. The first game doesn't really stand that well on its own, considering even towards the end of the game you're left clueless as to what the actual fuck is going on. Even the main characters don't know. Albedo shows up and everyone's left scratching their heads.

Attached: 1551670756511.jpg (250x250, 10K)

Moe blobbers are fun

Why would you quit Vesperia now? You're pretty much at the end anyway

Attached: 1515727469599.png (1600x1400, 627K)

Persona 3
Resonance of Fate
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier
Tales of Phantasia

Nothing, as far as new releases go.

>Favorite JRPG?
Chrono Trigger

It's not even hard. I just do whatever I feel like during character creation and get by just fine in nightmare. Although a few die against purple enemies.

>Sukukaja, Tarukaja, Debilitate, War Cry and other similar skills in SMT games
All those things are what makes SMT so easy and braindead

...unless bosses use it on you and hit you 3, 4 times per turn.

>name few games other than SMT where buff and debuff spells are useful/mandatory
Literally any dungeon crawler.

Any good JRPG's on the pc i just got done playing blue reflection and loved it.

Bosses won't use it because the AI is fucking braindead and won't dispel buffs and debuffs at +2/-2

I've been playing Pokemon Platnium. I skipped out on Pokemon during generations 4 and 5 and wanted to see what I missed. I'm really liking it so far.
Not much in terms of jrpgs. I guess whatever P5R is going to be.
>Favorite JRPG?
Earthbound

Why is this game so fucking difficult to start?

I've never played a Tales game before and I find the combat to be frustrating as fuck. Recovery animations are absolutely ridiculous.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (600x337, 48K)

I thought combat was fine until aerial attacks became a focus.

What are some of the best obscure and unknown jrpgs out there? Like actually hidden shit no one has played

Attached: 1552852060873.jpg (960x544, 155K)

Had the same problem, but learning to manual gaurd helped me out.

I'm almost at the end of the game and I still haven't figured out how to jump/perform aerial combos. I'm playing on semi-manual (maining Patty cause she's the most fun character to play as)

Attached: 1451373267878.png (314x278, 129K)

>Pokemon Platnium
Platinum's one of the best mainline pokemon games. Sadly, I had already played Diamond and Peal before I ever got to Platinum. Every time I play the game I quit at some point.

Judith is pretty much the only one with aerial combos. Yuri can string together a few artes, but he's still mainly a groundfighter. Patty at best can use some artes in the air during some modes. But all these make her move back on the enemy.

There were a bunch on DS but fuck if I remember any of them.

Radiant Historia was a great one, it its not that obscure but it its kinda rare

Exist Archive seems pretty niche, but it isn't very obscure.

Crimson Gem Saga.

way later, but sorry, RS2 on switch is still fucked. There hasn't been any update.

When I contacted support back then they were clueless. Squeenix quality

It's not obscure and it's a Korean game.

>RS2 on switch is still fucked
Uh, that's pretty bad.
Wonder why they haven't fixed it given how quick they were to fix issues on PC, or even the original Vita version, I hope this isn't related to the fact that the games sold real bad on Switch, Scarlet Grace's sales were especially abysmal in there.

What are you currently playing?
The caligula effect overdose
>Tfw Switch version
This game looks like shit in Hand-held mode. Dock is a little better but nothing to praise. But the Combat is GOAT, Jiggling and timing your attacks is fun. The Character art is beautiful but the models are not that great. Music is awesome and I like the switch to instrumental and lyrical tracks from crawling to battle.Also 2nd Dungeon and one girl is screaming fat fatties, based game.
what are you looking forward to?
Persona Q2
Dragon Quest 11s
That Persona 5 announcement game
Favorite JRPG?
The world ends with you
Everything is so good
Characters, Music, Combat, etc

Attached: JPEG_20190314_070806.png (353x353, 220K)

I hope there more to the series
But if they going to keep releasing on switch might as well drop unreal 4. Clearly the switch can't handle it

>The caligula effect overdose
How is the story?

Typical high school shit
Everyone is fucked up
You can see the twist coming from a mile away but still good twist

I saw a lot people saying the story was bad, but I might give it a try sometime after what you said. The combat looked interesting and multiple routes is something I like.

If anything get the Ps4 or PC version
This game is not worth 50 dollars tho
I would say 40 at most

Also Play on Hard
This game can be easily broken with certain character set ups. People one turn the first boss, Fuck i even two turn him on hard

I will wait for a sale on it then. Thanks.

Anything worth playing on ps vita other than atelier and ys?

P4G. I can make a lot of other recs non RPGs if you are into certain vns tho.

Dungeon Travelers 2 (and 2-2 but it's only in Japanese) are really good dungeon crawler games.

Dungeon travelers 2

I'm looking for jrpgs specifically. I'm not interested in persona 4 since I hear it took everything I hated about persona 3 and made it even worse.
I see the trails in the sky games have "evo" versions on vita but I'm not really sure how to set it up to play that, is it worth it?

the main story is good, but the real kino aspect of the game is going through all the character events with the go-home club members and the ostinato musicians.
honestly, they're much better than most of the social links from p5, especially since they didn't have mementos to use as a crutch in place of character development. you get to see a different side of each character and understand what motivates them. and if you choose the musician route, the character events actually affect the main plot and the ending you get.

Attached: 71616514_p0.jpg (800x1132, 1.45M)

Been playing pic related. It's a pretty good action RPG, it's a shame it's not localized (not sure if there are any plans for it though).

Attached: IMG_20181028_141844.jpg (4608x2176, 1.4M)

So would you recommend doing the Going Home Club or Musicians first? Assuming I like games and stories that get better as they go.

Attached: 1552197553547.jpg (500x643, 87K)

There's a shitload of JRPGs on Vita, especially if you consider emulation and backwards compatibility.
my personal advice for proper Vita titles:
Oreshika 2
SoSC
Phantasy Star NOVA
Tales of Hearts R
Tales of Innocence R
Shiren 5+
One Way Heroics
Muramasa
Odin Sphere
Dragon's Crown (performance is so so in a few stages if you don't overclock)
Romancing SaGa 2 and soon 3
Damascus Gears: Saikyou Exodus
Cladun: Sengoku

There's more games like P4G, the Kiseki games and various other dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Travelers, SRPG like God Wars or the Disgaea games or other classic JRPG like Exist Archive, but I personally do not like them much, so make of that what you will.
Valhalla Knights 3 Gold is also a decent grinding sim with some funny comedy, pretty much Wizardry turned into an ARPG, but it's also a very budget game with tons of flaws, so while I personally did enjoy it I wouldn't recommend it much, but given how you're probably going to pirate it you might want to decide for yourself.

As for all the other possible games you can play, the sky's the limit really.

Attached: This expansion is Super Interesting.jpg (960x544, 48K)

Also are there main party members? I saw you can recruit all the students, but I'd much rather just stick to a main party. Any cute tomboys?

Attached: 1552195795364.jpg (720x600, 127K)

I think you should play for yourself, P4G was like one of the reasons to buy a vita

crystar's director said a few months ago that they were planning to bring it to the west eventually.
siliconera.com/2018/12/20/crystar-appears-to-be-headed-westward-in-2019/

Oh that's cool. I recommend it if it ever comes out for my fellow non-Japanese speakers.

You do have a core party of like 7-8 people + the MC and the battle roster size is 4.

To be honest, I never bothered caring for the students in the Vita version because there was too fucking many and it was a pain to keep track of them all.

definitely do the musician route. you don't actually have to pick a side for real until the very end, and you the game gives you no incentive to decline it. the musician route gives you the full story (not just half), character events with all the musicians, and it's the only way to get the best possible ending. you also get to use each musician in battle after you beat them. it becomes available after the second boss.

Keep in mind there is one really shitty game mechanic where you can miss character episodes if you don't do them in time.

So do you actually get to use instruments and perform music in the game, or is the musician stuff purely just for story purposes?

Attached: ps2_steambot_chronicles-110214.jpg (640x910, 126K)

Thanks guys.
I haven't played a phantasy star game since the mega drive, is nova a good place to get back into the series? Anyone know how well the english patch works?
Likewise, is tales of hearts a good entry point?

>Keep in mind there is one really shitty game mechanic where you can miss character episodes if you don't do them in time.
Will I know it when I see it or should I look it up in advance?

Attached: 1552164209273.png (500x431, 207K)

RIP Irem

I haven't beaten the full game yet so not sure, But I already missed one event and didn't even know.

>Also are there main party members?
yes, both sides have main party members.
>I saw you can recruit all the students, but I'd much rather just stick to a main party.
recruiting all the students is a useless grind, honestly. i didn't bother with it. cool idea, but not really practical.
>Any cute tomboys?
you'll probably like kuchinashi.

Attached: 71373082_p0.png (1323x1323, 763K)

Give sauce user

>is nova a good place to get back into the series?
It's pretty much a small PSO2 campaign, but offline, and with less/different weapons and different mechanics, it's a pretty fun ARPG since it uses PSO2 combat as base, but fucks it up by cutting too many weapon types and PAs, though since you didn't play PSO2 and considering how shitty it is today you're not really going to notice.
>is tales of hearts a good entry point?
Depends, Hearts R is a pretty divisive title.
It is a fairly standard game as far as story goes, but it shines in the combat factor by having one of the best systems in the series to this day, keep in mind that the localized version is trash when it comes to writing though, with a lot of rewritten stuff including names.
In terms of combat it will probably set your bar a bit high, but production values are low coming from other games in the series, and when it comes to writing it's mostly subjective stuff really.

HOLY FUCK
UHHH HOW CAN I DO THE EPISODE

It's in the go home club room. Actually explore the entire room to see everyone if they have an event and do them immediately.

>you'll probably like kuchinashi.
Is she a musician or go home club?
A quick reverse image search should find her. If you can't, try searching seacats

Attached: 1552180566329.png (614x1233, 759K)

>Give sauce user

Attached: 1536349354972.jpg (384x288, 41K)

no, but your main character does get their own theme song in the musician route and it's a banger:
youtube.com/watch?v=_ARxsQ46hJQ
you also get to choose which party member's song plays when you're fighting against the go-home club. the soundtrack is fantastic overall.
the town map has icons next to the go-home club's room and the musicians' room that lets you know when there's character events for you to do. the same icon also appears over each character in each room when they have events to do. generally, you get a lot of character events after you finish a dungeon. you'll also often get more than one character event at a time with the same person.
another thing i should mention is that it's possible to break a social link with someone by picking the wrong answers. i had to save-scum a few times to fix that.

Attached: 68780380_p8.png (1721x685, 597K)

>Is she a musician or go home club?
musician.

>no, but

DROPPED

That's good to know. It seems annoying, but workable.
>another thing i should mention is that it's possible to break a social link with someone by picking the wrong answers. i had to save-scum a few times to fix that.
Good. You should be able to damage your relationships with people. Is there implied romance or no?
Nice. What instrument does she play?

Attached: 1546324960291.jpg (371x350, 42K)

>Is there implied romance or no?
not really, no.
>Nice. What instrument does she play?
the musicians are all actually songwriters (and bodyguards) for mu, one of the two vocaloid idols that the main plot revolves around.

Attached: 72611252_p0.jpg (903x958, 364K)

>not really, no.
Alright. That'll be fine.
>the musicians are all actually songwriters (and bodyguards) for mu, one of the two vocaloid idols that the main plot revolves around.
That's fairly interesting.

I wish Caligula dungeons were more interesting. Instead it is just P4 hallways with students.

>One thing, that there is a lot of annoying stuff in the game if you go to the game with standard weeb expectations. TBQH, it's no coincidence that the guy wrote Caligula was fired from Atlus for triggering autists.
Good to know. I like stories that go against expectations

Attached: 1535321377203.jpg (436x459, 39K)

I'm the kind of faggot who uses guides because i hate missing missable shit.
>no fucking guides available at all
I guess i'll dust every corner and keep multiple saves, fuck me.

>Typical high school shit
One thing, that there is a lot of annoying stuff in the game if you get into it with standard weeb expectations. TBQH, it's no coincidence that the guy wrote Caligula was fired from Atlus for triggering autists.
Don't even bother with Going Home Club, I have no idea why it exists. It's just like Yumi route from SMT If... if you know about that.

any recent jRPGs with good dungeons? Feel like the last time I liked dungeons in a jRPG was when I played nocturne in 2013

Attached: hmm.png (500x566, 36K)

So I've been itching to replay Breath of fire 3. Should I play the psx version or the psp version on my vita? Are there any notable performance differences in one or the other?

Attached: 1539386764848.jpg (680x907, 46K)

Playing Vesperia trying to get as many trophy as I can before going to speed run new game+

This is cancer

Attached: ULd0etWVT72Xj1fwLFuFGA.png (660x108, 103K)

dumb frogposter

uhh persona 5?

played it, the dungeons were trash in P5

>Likes nocturne ones but hate P5
hmmm ?

the only dungeons i found boring were the school and papiko. the library and theme park dungeons were particularly great.

>not just playing jrpgs without dungeons

yes? nocturne's dungeons had fun gimmicks, P5's gimmicks are either bad or inconsequential

Not the user who replied, but I liked Mary Skelter Nightmares first couple dungeons. I haven't finished it so I can't say much more than that.

Currently playing SMT1 as my first

Probably a stupid question but is my MAG supposed to be depleting every step? Because I've never noticed it before and I'm unsure what's causing it.

Attached: Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg (241x388, 118K)

They are just boring as shit and regurgitate NCPs.

I do, played a shit ton of the xenoblade games and souls but I miss dungeons. That reminds me though ys viii's dungeons were decent

Each summoned demon has a MAG upkeep but it hardly matters since you can finish the game with the humans only.

Is that a thing for all SMT games?
I'm unsure if I like it or not.

Attached: 1459625049019.png (640x574, 291K)

>I'm the kind of faggot who uses guides because i hate missing missable shit.
i'm in the same boat as you there, but i still never missed a character event because i always made sure to check the town map screen.

No.

It's not that bad then, i'll just keep checking to see if anything popped up and keep multiple saves just in case.

I THINK I'M FUCKED
I NEVER WENT TO THE ROOM TILL NOW. I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 2ND DUNGEON
DID I MISS ANYTHING?

So it’s only the first SMT that does this?

You return to the room to check it? Kensuke is the first one who gets a quest btw.

I know Soul Hackers does that

heard that Megaten 1+2 were much more fiendish about mag drain, haven't played them myself though.

MAG died off relatively quickly after the fifth gen games, but before the sixth gen games you're gonna deal with that, unless you're playing Persona.

Whew i think i didn't miss it
It was an event where we see two girls talk and shit.

I don’t understand people who can’t deal with turn based combat. Have you never played a board game with your family? Poker? What’s so offputting?

i'm pretty sure kensuke's first episode was right after the first dungeon, but that's it.
one other thing (unrelated): i can't confirm this, but i heard that it's easier to max out ayane's character events if you play as the femc rather than the male protagonist. i chose the femc for my playthrough and ayane was the first character i maxed out.

I always thought people think it's to slow
Active Time Turn base is the best tho

If you don’t overlevel the game will absolutely start to push your shit in and you’ll have to really learn the mechanics and choose gear carefully to make it through. There’s a Wall coming up, the boss of a mural, and she will end you. Try not to beat her with grinding, the trick is gear selection and making sure you have a character that can output a ton of damage on a single target.

Also the story has some nice dark twists. It seems totally predictable and then it very suddenly isn’t.

I’m almost 200 hours in and I haven’t finished it yet, also on hard mode. Defeating each challenge without grinding makes me feel like a genius.

HECK
I try to look it up somewhere
I'm surprised there is no guide for this game

>Active Time Turn base is the best tho
It's unplayable trash on par with RTwP, but unlike RTwP which at least has the decency of being somewhat complex in its own right ATB doesn't even have that.
The only game that did ATB somewhat right was Last Ranker, and only by virtue of being basically a very lax rhythm game with stats

>I always thought people think it's to slow
This makes no sense. The average battle length in a Dragon Quest game is much shorter than in a Tales of game.

you max Ayane first as the male MC too

The problem is people associate "turn based" with
>running along
>random battle
>stutter
>swoosh
>fade to black
>fade in
>camera pan 1
>camera pan 2
>camera pan 3
>battle start

The worst part of FFIX

What are some jrpgs in the 4th/5th gen like Lunar 2? Im talking about ones with really good cutscenes

Sega CD version I mean

oh - one other, other thing about character events. make sure to grind everyone's affinity level up to 9 as soon as you can by using them in battle consistently, and that applies to both the go-home club and the musicians. the game starts throwing character episodes at you like crazy when you have everyone up to 9.

Give your most obscure JRPGs. I really want to plag hidden gems

Attached: 1552860312176.gif (150x150, 119K)

Rondo of Swords

Opoona
youtube.com/watch?v=fG9Y5gxXXeM
it's not bad

Tengai Makyou games

Man this ost is fucking god tier
youtube.com/watch?v=NiCi_O41a-0

Attached: e4a393a843601d50f097014e1d8118ad.gif (500x262, 209K)

Daikoukai Jidai I(Uncharted Waters)
Daikoukai Jidai II(New Horizons/Uncharted Waters 2)

I love these 2 games so damn much. Every year I try to bait the newfags to play these 2 awesome games but my threads never last much.

Attached: uw1.jpg (721x1280, 125K)

Thanks anons
Holy shit user this shit is spicy

Just finished Dragonquest 11 should I get Ni no Kuni 2. Never played the first one.

Just finished Illusion of Gaia and how in the actual fuck do people think this story is good? This is exactly why I always have such a hard time getting into JRPGs, because people think completely unstructured, horribly paced, thematically inconsistent and all-around nonsensical shit like this is considered worth even mentioning by the masses. Combat and dungeons were great.

So user can i play both the Go home and the musicians, then choose which side i want at the end?

my favorite song other than lucid's is kuchinashi's.
youtube.com/watch?v=_N6f61cR7pI
i love the whole soundtrack, though. it's great music, not just great video game music.

Yeah basically

Attached: 109498fe7bdc00c7188372ffd6d61bcd.jpg (1272x1800, 291K)

Hell yeah
Also who the fuck makes the Character art? This shit is great and i really want them to make more

>Currently playing
DQ11
>Looking forward to
Hopefully Xenoblade X 2
>Favorite JRPG
Lost Odyssey or Chrono Trigger or FF6.

>Have a cool track from Lost Odyssey because this hidden gem got no love and was stuck on a dead console
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=110&v=9vbsI9xFuo8

if you pick the musician route, you spend most of the game working as a double agent on both sides. you don't have to make your final decision on who to side with until right before the final boss fight. the choice you make there determines the ending you get.

In retrospect, Were boomers right Yea Forums?
2002 Best Characters
> 1. Link
> 2. Mario
> 3. Sephiroth
> 4. Crono
> 5. Cloud
> 6. Samus
> 7. Snake
> 8. Scorpion
2003 Best Characters
> 1. Cloud
> 2. Sephiroth
> 3. Link
> 4. Mega Man
> 5. Snake
> 6. Sonic
> 7. Samus
> 8. Crono
2004 Best Games
> 1. FFVII
> 2. Chrono Trigger
> 3. Melee
> 4. Mario Bros 3
> 5. Zelda OOT
> 6. Zelda ALTTP
> 7. Legend of Zelda
> 8. StarCraft
2005 best Villains
> 1. Sephiroth
> 2. Ganon
> 3. Bowser
> 4. Diablo
> 5. Eggman
> 6. Kefka
> 7. Liquid
> 8. Ocelot
2006 best Franchises
> 1. Zelda
> 2. Final Fantasy
> 3. Metal Gear
> 4. Mario
> 5. Smash Bros
> 6. Resident Evil
> 7. Metroid
> 8. Kingdom Hearts
2006 best Female characters
> 1. Samus
> 2. Zelda
> 3. Yuna (FFX)
> 4. Tifa Lockhart
> 5. Chun-Li
> 6. Aerith
> 7. Rikku (FFX)
> 8. Peach
2008 best characters
> 1. Link
> 2. Snake
> 3. Cloud
> 4. Crono
> 5. Mega Man
> 6. Samus
> 7. Sephiroth
> 8. Kirby
2009 Best Games Ever
> 1. Zelda OOT
> 2. FFVII
> 3. Zelda ALTTP
> 4. FFX
> 5. Mario World
> 6. Mario Bros 3
> 7. Smash Bros Brawl
> 8. MGS4
2010 Game of the 2000s
> 1. Zelda MM
> 2. Smash Bros Brawl
> 3. FFX
> 4. Metal Gear Solid 3
> 5. Fallout 3
> 6. Resident Evil 4
> 7. Metroid Prime
> 8. Zelda: TP

Neat thanks user

X2 isn't happening, the next xenoblade isn't going to be like the previous 3

Have fun user exploring the world in your medieval boat user.
youtube.com/watch?v=_HUoXQ7XC3s

Too much Link but yes

Phantasy Star III. I understand why everyone looks down on this one, it feels like they devs didn't have a plan and just kinda wrote as they developed assets.
I'm going to start Phantasy Star IV after i'm done with III. I keep hearing that it is better than the SNES Final Fantasy games and i'm excited to see if the hype is real.
>Favorite JRPG?
FFX has a special place in my heart from a long time ago, and I played Earthbound and Mother 3 with a friend and we bonded over those two one summer many years ago.

> Kingdom Hearts
No, also Eggman ahead of Kefka is fucking bullshit

Because in almost every single one of the more popular JRPGs the combat is just the same cookiecutter copy pasted systems which require absolutely zero thought and happen way too often, resulting in it just feeling like wasted time. Combat needs to make me feel something, excited, scared, intimidated, powerful, literally anything. Instead it's almost always just mindlessly attacking and using potions for 40 hours.

to be fair that was back in 2006 so all we had were 1, CoM, and 2.

most of the major jRPG released this gen don't have turn based, only octopath and persona 5 do. There are more wRPGs that are turn based now

Comfy
I go play it, you bait this new fag

Happy Arngrim is best Arngrim.

This, Kingdom Hearts was genuinely great back in the day. Just imagine how great it would have been if they simply released KH3 directly after 2 for the PS3, instead of making anymore spin offs

>Also who the fuck makes the Character art?
Looking on Wikipedia, Oguchi. He does good work

Have you played more than 2 jrpgs in your life

Why are you attacking my hopes and dreams?
Are you a demon?

>more popular
there's the problem, you've only been exposed to final fantasy/dragon quest shit

yes

So fellow Caligula anons, I'm about the finish the musicians route, I wonder something but I don't want to play the game for a second time to find out so please spoonfeed me. What happens to Eiji in the going home club route? I can't imagine an outcome where that plot ends well without extreme asspulls.

>Pokemon
>Earthbound
At least for other popular series it shows the difference for being a boomer or zoomer

>still thinking that it's just one person posting these images

Attached: 1552829243004.png (645x729, 50K)

So can Caligula scratch my persona itch ? i need something to pass time till new games

play Faraway Story

Attached: C-qNiaLUQAIk0Om.jpg large.jpg (700x700, 90K)

Like a few other people I'm playing Caligula Overdose.
I thought the combat would be generic but it's actually pretty fun. Knew I should have chosen hard from the start though, first boss was a total joke.

Persona 1-2 itch? Yes, there are some similarities and even references.
Persona 3-4-5 itch? Nah, it's a different thing.
Good to past time till new games come? Surely if you like dungeon crawlers.

Hmmm thank you

>That post format

Attached: 1546468705142.jpg (1024x775, 49K)

This is a JRPG, right?
Should I play the DS or PSP (vita) version?
Do I need to download a save file beforehand like with Yggdra Union?
Anything else I should know?

Attached: 94675_front.jpg (500x860, 82K)

fuck no. those boomers were overrating final fantasy and especially ff7 to the extreme in every poll. most of these lists have aged like milk.

Play DS if you have it on the original hardware so you can see how it plays with a stylus, otherwise PSP for higher res graphics and more content.

Seething ff6fag

Also, rule of thumb for DS ports, the PSP/Vita version is always better, no exceptions.

>knights in the nightmare
The PSP version is easier to emulate, break EVERYTHING in every map more than once if you have to, combine your low durability weapons so they last and keep an eye on your elements. This game is an actual nightmare if you have OCD because 100% completion requires multiple playthings and sacrificing units and even conversations just from pausing.

user i fucking two turn him on hard

>more popular JRPGs
there's your problem. there's plenty of niche jrpgs nowadays that are experimenting with different approaches to turn-based combat. i just played two of them recently:
youtube.com/watch?v=rBAMfL6EGdI
youtube.com/watch?v=kM3tg231Kw4
if you don't like old-school turn-based systems, try branching out into the under-the-radar jrpgs that try something new with it.

Thanks guys. If I don't go for 100% completion will I be missing a big part of the game?

I cannot get Lunar 2 to work on any emulator so I'm doing something wrong.
Should I play Grandia 2, Tales of Zestiria or FFXII?

swing and a miss. my favorite final fantasy games are chocobo's dungeon 2 and my life as a king. ff is one of those series where the spinoffs are way more interesting than the mainline games.

Porky did nothing wrong.

Attached: 514452_p0.jpg (457x625, 183K)

More like he’s probably only been exposed to knockoff dragon quest stuff. Dragon quest itself is clutch as shit.

I'm playing Digimon Cyber Sleuth which seems pretty chill and fun as fuck.
I'm also playing FFXV on the side. I have no fucking clue who anybody is or what the fuck is going on.

Grandia II then XII.

as someone who absolutely loved the game: it is persona-esque, as expected from the guy who wrote the first two persona games - but don't expect persona 5's level of polish, though.
there are some things caligula actually does on par with or even better than the nu-persona trilogy, but it's very obvious that they didn't have persona's budget. and it's also not quite the same without the iconic smt demons. still a great game, though.

Attached: 71414048_p0.jpg (1131x1200, 1.53M)

You know what I'd like? A more modern take on Digimon World 2. The Mystery Dungeon style crawling, the team battles, monster raising and cyberpunk aesthetic are all great, but goddamn the game itself is horribly dated and slow to play nowadays.

>I'm also playing FFXV on the side. I have no fucking clue who anybody is or what the fuck is going on.

because the prologue was gutted for a fucking CGI movie. I would just way this right now, FFXV will not get better and once you take the boat to Altissa (or however you spell it) the game goes from being Open World to as linear as FFX/XIII for the rest of the game

>I'm playing Digimon Cyber Sleuth
based.
>I'm also playing FFXV on the side.
cringe.
>I have no fucking clue who anybody is or what the fuck is going on.
that's because tabata's a hack who expects you to have watched a shitty movie and anime beforehand in order to understand any of the plot.

Attached: 71830655_p2.jpg (1199x739, 117K)

>FFXV will not get better
Yeah I was afraid of this.
I'm not really arsed about the open world shit because as soon as I go anywhere a million magitek soldiers drop out of the sky.
How long does it take to finish if I just do the main quests?

Hmm that is great, i am motivated to play it now

I tried downloading Caligula Effect. Absolute NIS garbage. But now I want a better rpg to chew on. What should I get on PC?

I used to be a big Final Fantasy fan and I have a bit of time off work so I thought I might as well try it.

Also does anyone know why Cyber Sleuth has been removed from PSN?

the beauty of FFXV is that everyone is to blame; tabata, nomura, and the heads at SE are all baboons. I always said FFXV's story would always be trash because it was done by fucking kingdom hearts nomura but the combat would be decent, lo and behold KH3 comes out and it's almost as braindead as FFXV on the hardest difficulty

Attached: goose.png (950x878, 1.48M)

Watch the flick. It's worth playing through as there are some standout moments and you might get to like the characters.

Emulate the DQ's, FF's or the Smt's

>How long does it take to finish if I just do the main quests?

like 20-30 hours.

>lo and behold KH3 comes out and it's almost as braindead as FFXV on the hardest difficulty
at least you can gave over and die in KH3. FFXV doesn't even allow that since you can heal yourself at 0 HP because Tabata wanted this game to pander to casuals

Tripsman, do not be deceived. It is so low quality it's unbelievable. Literally the first four hours of the game are the same hallways fighting the same enemies and even the music is the same because the explore and battle theme are the same song with a lyric track added. Go watch some footage and you will see. It's less interesting to play than even somethibg like Neptunia.

Done all those already. Paying DQ 9 right now. But I want something fresher. Maybe an Atelier game?

>because Tabata wanted this game to pander to casuals
Any and all FF games are for casuals, Tabata being less coy about it doesn't change this fundamental truth.

>since you can heal yourself at 0 HP
Yeah what the FUCK was that shit. While I was intrigued to play FFXV and I ended up buying it on PS4 on release (greatest regret I've made in the past couple of years), I really stopped caring because of that bullshit mechanic. I would've continued playing but that and the repetitive bullshit fetch-and-delivery soulless collect-a-thon quests killed it for good for me.

It's not as if gameplay is the only thing in JRPGs. Terrible anime games are still terrible anime games even with good systems.

>Also does anyone know why Cyber Sleuth has been removed from PSN?
bamco went on a delisting rampage a few months ago with some of their games, including cyber sleuth. they've never explained why.
i don't blame nomura. he was making kino as usual and square meddled with it and ruined it by putting that hack tabata in charge. then tabata started hiring a bunch of people who worked on sonic 06, which should have been an immediate red flag to square that they had made a big mistake.

Attached: 67042377_p0.png (2036x1500, 3.95M)

>he was making kino as usual
every KH game past the first one sucks (kH2FM is only good in the last 5-10% on critical), the last really good thing he did was produce TWEWY. someone needs to take away his typewritter and directorial positions and just have him do character designs

unlike you, i actually finished the game so i know what i'm talking about. the game opens up significantly after the first dungeon, and the dungeons get more interesting over the course of the game. the soundtrack is also excellent.

Attached: 72386991_p0.png (980x784, 430K)

>Any and all FF games are for casuals,

but XV felt casual, even by FF standards.

and this is not counting Easy Mode where the game revived you without using items and also gave you a buff (except for specific fights but the game warns you about).

I wish there was a hard move that removed this mechanic and actually made you learn how to properly play/learn the game instead of Holding O

>then tabata started hiring a bunch of people who worked on sonic 06
did he actually do that or is that a joke because of how FFXV copied a scene from Sonic 06 shot for shot?

From the gameplay it looks cool, i am gonna install it now

Tell me what changes after the first absurdly awful dungeon that makes it worth suffering through?

>i don't blame nomura. he was making kino as usual
How to spot a KH zoomer.

>repetitive bullshit fetch-and-delivery soulless collect-a-thon quests

This. Why would a prince bother doing all this shit. It literally makes no sense.

nomura wanted to reset FFXV as a musical at one point after watching les misrebles, nomura is just as retarded and people are wising up to it after KH3

Attached: 420.jpg (995x933, 87K)

No. If you like dragon quest you should stay away from atelier. also avoid falcom games.

Should Falcom fans play Atelier games?

Are they so different? I'd be willing to give them a try. Alchemy sounds cool.

What else can I try? I've already played every Tales game.

>nomura wanted to reset FFXV as a musical

got a source? because all I heard is that part his XV would be a musical, not the whole thing.

Granted a musical would probably be better than what we actually got in terms of XV

playing radiant historia PC rn enjoying it so far

Dragon Quest Builders.

ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical

people act like nomura is the only good thing at SE, it's not. Pro-tip: pic related is the only one holding SE together and is most likely directing the next FF

Attached: 46183456151_9c283062f7[1].jpg (403x385, 48K)

I think Nomura was found out when he made advent children.
However even he doesn't come close to how shitty Toriyama is.

Only Atelier Iris 1 & 2 are good games.
The rest are pure cutesy shitfests with no actual point to them.

Fag detected

after the first dungeon, you get access to the town map and your first character event. after the second dungeon, you get to decide whether or not to do the musician route (which has a significant impact on both gameplay and the story). you also start getting more party members to mix and match.
honestly, the school is the most boring dungeon in the entire game. i can only assume they made it that way in order to filter out the plebs immediately.

Attached: 69719292_p0.jpg (1000x1200, 708K)

>ruined its franchise, dead, sucks, dead, no longer represents her franchise, antiquated as fuck

Great genre you got there senpai

ah.

Sounds more interesting than the actual FFXV

>This kills the Final Fantasy

Attached: toriyama.png (849x432, 283K)

DQ 11
Ys 9
>Favorite JRPG?
probably Pokemon Crystal but mostly because of nostalgia. not counting that I think it's Ys I&II Complete
o-ok

Attached: 1380461710653.jpg (424x600, 66K)

That does sound neat, but I can't be assed to play any more of the intro dungeon at this point. I'll look for something else.

Do you ever get more active skills?

Rune Factory 4
Rune Factory 5
>Favorite JRPG?
Hard to say, FFIV, 7th Dragon 3, RF3, MH4U.

>trying only post-seven Ys games
that's your problem user, play Oath in Felgahana on PC

Yoshi-P is so fucking based. FFXIV has become such a huge success and it blows my mind, considering the clusterfuck that 1.0 was when it came out. It was basically a game destined to fail... and yet here we are.

Pick one Atelier game on PC I can pirate and I'll give it a try.

Not necessarially, they don't have many similarities they're just types of games that DQ fans would dislike.
Another one to avoid on PC is TLR (and the whole saga series really), again no real similarities but doesn't appeal to DQ fans.

Since you're OK with emulating look into breath of fire, lunar, legend of dragoon, earthbound, etc. I think ni no kuni (?) is on PC.

I want Judith to be a mommy.

Attached: __judith_tales_of_series_and_etc__37a1b23890b1c6f466b4d2f96a5e63aa.jpg (1981x2962, 1.95M)

God, SE is a walking mass of wasted talent. Not only did they fuck over their internally developed IPs, but they also fucked over Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal, IO Entertainment, Cavia, and a whole host of other companies under their publishing umbrella.

Try Atelier Rorona.
If you don't like it you won't like any Atelier game made in the last decade

Gotcha. thanks. Is IGG worth using for torrents?

t. xv-kun
nomura "considered" making ffxv a musical for a whopping one day. chances are, he was never actually serious about it.
but honestly, i'd still take "nomura musical" over "tabata casual" any day of the week.

Attached: 1525808079964.jpg (749x1111, 178K)

Amen to that, fuck toriyama and fuck lightning fags

It's a shame he'll be stuck on XIV for the next 20 years.
They won't risk putting him on another FF

>but honestly, i'd still take "nomura musical" over "tabata casual" any day of the week.
Yes, because Nomura's games aren't casual at all.

Why would you even draw that distinction? Nomura (and Square in general) is hardly known for making grueling hardcore experiences.

Attached: Kingdom Hearts III.webm (960x540, 2.98M)

yes, you unlock more skills as you level up. this applies to all the characters. you also get skill points that you can use to upgrade your existing skills.

nomura's games are actual games.
tabata's "games" are hold o to win movies.

>nomura's games are actual games.

youtube.com/watch?v=3CgBtEF6rNU

>more than 10 hours of cutscenes
>actual game

Attached: 1j9ywu.jpg (400x369, 77K)

>jrpg games
>most posts are about FFshit

Attached: 1517516389417.gif (561x343, 3.8M)

did Overdose fix the issue of the

>cherrypicked moment
You can't do that all the time in KH3 while you CAN do this all the time in XV and if you get KO'd, you can use your hundreds of healing items

Attached: Hold O to Win.webm (640x360, 2.66M)

>most of Yea Forums is casuals
shocking truth

Attached: 1507334865083.gif (500x700, 1006K)

Type-0 was pretty hard

Oh you have to hold R1 too!
That's where I've been going wrong

Judith is 100% the "fun party chick" who dies alone after squandering her one opportunity for a meaningful relationship.

I've been playing Dragon Quest for the NES, my first DQ game. Pretty nice so far but it's easy not to know what to do next like usual for the ones at the time

Attached: jlNmx.png (400x300, 153K)

>cherrypicked moment
Cherrypick for what? I wasn't saying Tabata was a competent developer, I was just pointing out that Nomura isn't anything to write home about either.

Both of them are hacks, the difference is that one is despised by fans while the other is adored.

Wild arms and wild arms 2 have that same look.

>Thread is already dead.
Why not?

What fucking thread are you reading? Aside from offhand mentions, most this thread is surprisingly actually about non-FF jrpgs.

who else will they ask? he's the only one left unless they get an outside source

I literally never on my entire life have played any DQ game, what makes them stand out from other RPGs?

Attached: 497.jpg (518x768, 54K)

Nomura is free again after KH3.
I bet he's working on it already

how am I xv-kun? I'm shitting on XV, I just understand nomura is a hack

yeah this, the combat was surprisingly decent in type-0 for a psp game, definitely better than birth by shit

They're very classical adventures with charm.

>Nomura is free again after KH3.
>I bet he's working on it already

he's busy with the FF7 Remake.

ff7R though

Being very old and very popular already.
Character designs from Akira Toriyama, aka the guy who makes Dragon Ball Z.
Using its pedigree to do lots of spinoffs and crossovers.
Tons of personality.

play DQ5 and see for yourself

Ah yeah I forgot about that.
I'm not looking forward to having my memories shat on by Nomura. Especially after what they've done with VII since.

Then again is available