He's an irredeemable and selfish man baby that destroyed the one chance to save the world

He's an irredeemable and selfish man baby that destroyed the one chance to save the world.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 149K)

>an irredeemable, autist that thought it was a good idea to give the one thing he was banking on feelings
>Also sacrifices thousands of children and still fucks up
Joel is baby shit compared to this bug-tier retard

Attached: file.png (771x252, 212K)

the fireflies were incompetent, their "brain surgeons" were actually nonsurgeon retards who couldn't even perform a biopsy without murdering the patient. They only rushed Ellie into the operating room because the organization was on the brink of collapse after many days of hardship and travelling, ready to mutiny against Marlene, and Ellie was the last distraction she could use to stay in charge and try and keep everything together

He's also a caring father who did not want his daughter to die for nothing.

This and this

if you believe the world was not already lost, you are a retard

You're right. That's what makes the character great and interesting.

>You were the main villan all along
Best twist in a while from a vidya. Sad that Cuckman focus is Ellie and not him so TLOU 2 will probably be pure cancer.

Attached: 1551104771244.webm (1280x720, 2.8M)

I don't remember fully but pretty sure there was no guarantee they could create a vaccine anyway. Hadn't they had like 10 other immune people they killed?

The fireflies were being beaten.
There are still several infection free zones, Boston was still functioning and with the fireflies out of the picture their biggest threat is gone.
Also don't forget about Tommys group.

>being this much of an ape

TLOU was kino

I can only hope 2 is as good

>He's an irredeemable and selfish man baby that destroyed the one chance to save the world.
Yes. He is also fairly relatable.

That said, the ending of Last of Us is an AMAZING lesson in how some kinds of stories just don't work in all media. If LoU was a movie, the ending would be... polarizing, but acceptable. In a videogame, though? It's fucking absolutely insanely stupid.

It is painfully obvious that the story was written by someone originally as a movie idea, and that it was then translated into a game with absolutely no consideration for the specific nature of the medium, or care.

>Sad that Cuckman focus is Ellie and not him so TLOU 2 will probably be pure cancer.
I feel the same. Will be dodging the sequel

Leaving aside that Fireflies are retards who would probably get Ellie killed for no gain, it's not like getting the vaccine done would magically make everyone friends forever. Like, how many people die from infection directly, and not from the consequences of general societal collapse?

Why does it not work for a game? It's essentially a movie anyway

Yes. There was a long line of failed surgeries and dead immune people already. The surgery would’ve definitely killed Ellie with only a fraction of a chance of making a cure.

Because you are basically prepping the whole game to identify with the poor sod? How is that not immediately obvious? In an interactive medium where player spends MOST of the time controlling a character, making a twist like this is just plain old fucking retarded. It shows the devs put ZERO thought into the whole role of a player within an interactive narrative. It's an amateur mistake, to be honest.

Would anyone have done differently?

You’re acting like this is an RPG and we made a character and had a deep branching narrative to choose.

It’s not, and we didn’t. We play as Joel and Joel does whatever Joel does. The ending is phenomenal, realistic, and relatable. Plus, anyone with a brain could’ve seen the ending coming a mile away. If you think the ending was a “twist”, you simply weren’t paying attention.

I was really hoping they would at least pretend to give you a choice when you got to the hospital.

Even if the vaccine worked, how would it "save the world" ?
People have learned to avoid the spore after two decades. I'm pretty sure you're more likely to get killed by a human than get infected.
Why kill another kid just for an alternative to gas masks ?

Honestly no, which is why the ending is so powerful. I actually have a 3yo son and the fatherly instinct is insanely strong. I’m not proud to admit it but I would absolutely let every single one of you die if it meant my son stayed safe and alive. The most insane non-sensical risks are taken by parents to protect their children. It’s probably the single strongest instinct in nature — protect your children at all costs.

DAILY
FUCKING
REMINDER

“THE FIREFLIES WERE INCOMPETENT” IS SHEER BULLSHIT PROPAGATED BY PEOPLE IN DENIAL OF THE ENTIRE MESSAGE OF THE GAME
JOEL DIDN’T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THAT AND YOU FUCKING KNOW IT
HIS FUCKING CHARACTER ARC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LEARNING NOT TO TRUST THE FIREFLIES, IT’S ABOUT REFUSING TO GIVE UP ELLIE

SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH THIS HEADCANON NONSENSE THAT THE WRITERS CLEARLY DIDN’T INTEND AND WHICH JOEL NEVER CONSIDERED EVEN ONCE

Trying way too hard brainlet

>Hey dude, you just spent 6 months traveling, protecting, and bonding with a girl you’re starting to love as a proxy for your dead daughter. Can we cut open her brain and watch her die?
>”sure senpai, go ahead”
Retard.

Yeah, that seems like a normal priority to me. Especially considering how shitty the world is in TLOU.

What's stupid about it in a game? I thought the hospital sequence was excellent. I was stomping through the hospital because I agreed with Joel that Ellie shouldn't die for nothing. I kicked in the door to the operating room and blasted the first NPC who tried to say something to me, and upon seeing Ellie on the table and okay, my rage subsided and I grabbed Ellie and left the other two surgeons to cower in the corner as I made my escape. A movie would not have allowed that situation to play out according to MY (or any other player's) emotions, instead it would only play out how the director saw fit. Though the game probably could have had multiple endings and still been effective.

And IF they even manage to synthesize a vaccine, then you betch your ass they’ll use it as a carrot to bring in new recruits and fan insurgencies throughout the few remaining US cities under military control. Joel literally saved thousands through his selfish action

They’re both true. There’s multiple text and voice recordings that detail how little success the Fireflies have had and that their surgeries are basically stabs in the dark with no real scientific method behind it.

I fully agree that the main message is Joel refusing to let his proxy daughter die, but that can be true while the Fireflies being idiots is also true.

>in Last of Us 2, he becomes the villian

What now, cock fag?

Nah, he’ll die heroically/tragically and Ellie will go fucking nuclear. Joel’s death will be the one thing that finally makes Ellie into a full-blown remorseless murder machine.

He didn't destroy anything, only delayed it. Its not like her brain tumor fungus is going to go away by itself. At best he killed some doctors who within 24 hours of getting a fresh body wanted to open the skull and kill the patient without extensive testing. The Fireflies could not manufacture anything either, the best bet was always handing Ellie off to the government or whatever military control is there in the biggest safe zone.

The whole thing was a last HURRAH by the Fireflies/black leader girl to keep the group together. We got the cure! and all, after getting wiped out and shit on and trekking across the country.

even me, user? I can make a pretty mean chili. I doubt a little 3 year old could do that.

My only problem with 2 is they made Ellie ugly. She's way too cute in 1 to turn in to that.

You're putting a lot of faith in the idea the Fireflies even know what they're doing.

Yes, and AGAIN, that’s why the ending is so relatable and powerful. I KNOW that I should save the doctor, the cook, the engineer — the people with skills who contribute to the group. But when it comes to your children, emotion trumps logic every time. I would absolutely let the soldier/doctor/engineer die in order to save my “useless” 3yo son. That’s just what parents do. That’s what Joel did.

Attached: AEC5C670-F41C-4854-AA8D-A17C7096ECD7.jpg (500x500, 52K)

I can also cook shepherds pie.

Yeah, but you’re not my kid, so...sorry.

Interesting that the anti-vax trend started around the time this game released

Hehehe. First everyone was like "The game is garbge." but now you care. Now you caaare !

This is not to mock but instead I'm happy that there are still gamers that care about the story a game happens in and revolves around instead of just having these "gamers" that "beat" the game, collect all the achievements and then forget about and never touch it again.

note to self: toss children off a bridge in an apocalypse so their parents will like me and take me in.

Post your chili recipe, bro

The whole ending dilemma is a metaphor for abortion rights.

Must have been a difficult choice for Joel

Attached: hmmmm.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

Don't post it!
Then you'll have nothing that makes you special and you'll be the first one the father kills!

>Ellie will go fucking nuclear
Will TLOU 2 will turn Ellie into a Captain Marvel tier shitty character? Because I start to see some correlations
>Captain Cheese Fungus
>Ellie ha the same fungal infection but its brain instead of toe
Makes you think

Attached: white male representative harassing Cheese Fungus.webm (1280x464, 2.69M)

I have four children, you toss my kids off a bridge and I'll probably torture you to death then kill myself.

No im gonna rape and kill your kids and make you watch

He didn't deliberately give it feelings. It just sort of happened at some point.

1/2
I live for the greater good. if that means tossing kids off bridges so my chili recipe lives on, so be it.
first off bean prep (you can use all canned if you want to be lazy too):
>soak your beans overnight
>rinse them again in the morning/afternoon and set aside
my usual staples are northern white beans, black, pinto, kidney. you can add some others to suit your preference. for canned there's a mixed bean one that works really well and I think it's bush brand. if you use canned drain the liquid most of the time, as most of them add nothing to the flavor. ranch and those mixed beans I mentioned are the only ones that come to mind that I won't drain.
cooking:
>saute onions with a bit of oil/grease and add a bit of liquid smoke
>once they start sweating add ground beef and ground sausage 1:1 up to you how much you want to make
>mash it up and once the first layer starts getting browned (still not cooked though) then you add diced garlic. it can be roughly cut, but not too much.
>add diced tomatoes + their juices (again can used canned if lazy). you want a good amount to start letting everything simmer in it. you can also add a bit of tomato paste if you want it to be thicker.
>be sure to keep mixing it at every step now

THERE WERE NO OTHER 'IMMUNE' PEOPLE. Ellie was the only one. This has been broken down so many times. The other patients that the doctor is talking about were not immune. They were just study material. Ellie is different and at this moment is the only 'immune' person that we are aware of. She doesn't have a true immunity either. Ellie's genetic makeup somehow mutated the way the sickness works.

2/2
>add your spices: cayenne, salt, pepper, bit of herbs to your liking (be tight with things like rosemary or thyme), dash of cumin. also again lazy method mccormick has some seasoning packets one taco and one chili works fine for a whole pot it's what I use for taking over to parties with a decent amount of people
>add any finely diced peppers if you want it spicy
>add some broth and or water to make it into more of a stew; if it looks a bit too watery don't worry it'll thicken up later. you don't want it to look like chicken soup but if you can easily stir it still then you're good
>now add just a slight amount of cinnamon, depends on how much to use based on how much you're cooking, but a full pot I'd use ~1 spoonfull maybe a bit less
>add beans after it starts boiling and let it sit for ~20 min stirring occasionally until the meat is pretty much done
>set to simmer for ~20-30 min until everything is tender and cooked
>let it sit for a bit to thicken up and serve
I might be forgetting a few things but that is the core of it.
I also like to make some pasta as a side people can set at the bottom of the chili, some corn chips, fresh diced jalapeno, fresh diced white onion, and shredded cheese, and roughly cut cilantro.

Fireflies do nothing, BUT fuck up the entire game
Somehow they are not incompetent. Every time. Their best doctor? Fucking bitten by a goddamn lab monkey. And he was their BEST. Just imagine the level of incompetence of the 'surgeons' that are going to perform the operation.

Now imagine how much retarded you need to be to make her gay.

Good fuck humans LOL disgusting piles of human waste and garbage.

>People have learned to avoid the spore after two decades. I'm pretty sure you're more likely to get killed by a human than get infected.
Keep in mind that entire areas are essentially condemned due to Clickers or Bloaters roaming around like the university for instance. It would allow people to fight back instead of having to avoid those areas and eventually it would stop people from being infected altogether meaning then it would just be a matter of getting society to band together again.

That's all assuming the Fireflies weren't incompetent and had a proper production and distribution method instead of their realistic operation where they'd be lucky to make a handful of doses at best, assuming they didn't mess up again and learn nothing from Ellie's death. The hardest part would have been actually distributing the cure and not just having their members executed on the streets by enterprising bandits or even the Fireflies being incredibly corrupt and power hungry.

Yeah but he has a 13 year old daughter-wife in a world with no laws so why should he care.

Why are you on this site. most of the threads on this site are people bullshitting back and forth about shit that doesnt matter

Attached: 1551076543573.jpg (716x472, 52K)

Saving Ellie and hoping that she'll have children that carry on the immunity was probably a better idea than haver her be cut up, hoping that doctors could somehow reverse engineer it.

He literally unironically did nothing wrong

I guess the best thing to do when trouble happens is kill any parents first, then. Nothing personal.

the fireflies were shown both directly and indirectly through ingame collectibles to be a bunch of dumb thugs on their last legs anyways. The likelihood of them successfully producing a cure from Ellie was low anyways and EVEN IF Joel let them carry out their plans, Joel would be killed by them since they had no intention of ever letting him go free and then they'd either still get wiped out by other factions or they'd become an oppressive ruling class using the limited amount of cure with no true way of successfully duplicating it for the masses.

there's no going back to how things were before. that's the point. over 20 fucking years passed and even if everyone did suddenly become immune, there's still the issue of being ripped to shreds by the infected or being killed by each other since society had already long-since ended.

there is nothing wrong you are 100% right and the game even knows it

Joel was already in his 50s and struggling to keep up. By the time TLOU2 starts he'll be in his 60s. Let the poor bastard rest, he probably will die if he gets involved at all in the next game.

>The hardest part would have been actually distributing the cure
The fireflies had no intention of distributing anything, they were going to vaccinate their people and then exploit the resources in areas they could expand into while keeping up the guerilla warfare shit against the government. Giving them Ellie was a severe long shot at giving them the US/world. When you read the notes and journals and from all the experiences you've had with them it's clear the fireflies were just as corrupt as the government and just as callous as the hunters.
Fuck them.

What the fuck are you talking about

They are both baby tier compared to Prince of Persia 2008.

>even if everyone did suddenly become immune, there's still the issue of being ripped to shreds by the infected or being killed by each other since society had already long-since ended.
Well, assume the hypothetical situation here. Everyone already has to deal with those two problems anyway and have been doing just fine for decades. A cure would start slowing down and eventually stop the former because you'd eventually start killing them off faster and outbreeding them than they could be produced and people immunized wouldn't even turn anymore, not to mention you'd be essentially like Ellie so you could walk through spore-infested areas without a gas mask. After that it's just having to deal with bandits but I'm sure a lot of bandits are just doing it out of desperation like Joel and Tommy so converting them back probably wouldn't be too much of an issue while the rest you would have to put down or deal with in some manner.

A cure would eventually lead to a restructure of society assuming you could distribute it effectively, it would just take ages due to how you have to deal with both the infected and bandit situation.

Wasn't the case they made that they had to because the government was dead-set against accepting a solution from an outside source let alone a cure which is why they set out on their own as a terrorist group in the first place? From what I recall that was a reason listed in the collectibles as to why they're staging the bombings in the first place. That's not to say they're not incompetent or anything and I agree they'd most likely never manage to do anything outside of hoard such a cure and are just putting on airs for Joel, but this is a hypothetical question here.

>Hadn't they had like 10 other immune people they killed?
No

>in his 50s struggling to keep up
Did we play the same game? Joel in canon, kills at least one hundred men on their cross country tour. They are going to be making folk songs about him. Druckmann said that The Last of Us was about setting up Ellie to be an earned 'realistic' badass. Joel trains her to be a murder machine. We already know that Joel is hyper involved. The Chinese guy confirmed it in the last trailer. That every time Ellie goes out Joel is and extra hard ass.