I was wrong

>played Hitman 2016 at mates at time of release
>thought it was dogshit with opportunities making shit way too easy just following objectives
>thought episodic release was cancer af and vowed to never buy it
>last month becomes free on playstation plus
>turn off opportunities, instinct, auto aim and mini map
>end up having the time of my life playing through this awesome game
>get Hitman 2 and love it even more

EA have done a lot of cancerous things over the last 12 years but Hitman and Hitman 2 are masterpieces. Despite the fact that the game requires some altering in terms of gameplay options to actually get the proper challenging Hitman experience these two games are fucking incredible lads. Just felt like I needed to say I was wrong for talking so much shit about it when it was first released

Attached: Hitman.jpg (292x173, 4K)

I got bored with it fairly quickly.
The "open map" was basically "you have 1-4 targets, at best all four of them would occupy a large area but in reality we have a fuckload of guards in one or two areas, that's where your targets are. Feel free to explore elsewhere but it's pointless.

I get they have the opportunities/mission stories but like... why?
The best example is France: first floor has one target, second floor has none and third floor has the second target.

Huge area outside. One or two "opportunities" are there. But that's it. The main content of the level is confined to one or two areas.

I like it but there's clearly an emphasis on "throw things, lure guards, knock out guards, wow you're a totes amazing assassin with silent assassin suit only!"
Because retards tried to make "suit only" challenges a thing in Blood Money and we get it shoehorned into the new games and it shows the devs only did it reluctantly

What does it have to do with EA?

>EA

Attached: 1535756640009.jpg (740x737, 51K)

>get Hitman 2 and love it even more
But HITMAN 2 is worse.

>turn off opportunities, instinct, auto aim and mini map
this is what i've been saying the whole time. any game that has it, turn the things off to play the 'real game'.
>games ruined by markers
you want hardcore games and yet you;re so casual you can't think to turn the fuckin markers off. how

>EA
It's pretty fucking good I agree, although several missions don't take advantage of their real estate and just compartment their targets into strict sections.

Isn't opportunities good to have on though? As I'm pretty sure they are scripted and thus can't normally be done without knowing exactly what to do.

>EA

Attached: 1541683572964.png (1920x1080, 2.06M)

I dunno I think that's pretty pessimistic way of looking at it. Sure some levels have areas where not a lot happens (Sapienza the seafront/church side of the map) but you can still use it to your advantage in terms of using the bell tower as a sniper spot or to get the scientist uniform from the body when not playing on Professional

My favorite levels were definitely the more enclosed ones where you generally use the whole map though. Colorado and Hokkaido in the first game and Miami and Whittleton Creek in the 2nd

I thought they were the publisher all this time lmao I guess I was wrong. So wait Square Enix are the ones who decided on the episodic release? What the fuck were they thinking?

>Play it how it's meant to be played
>"Hey wow it's actually good"

No shit

My point is is that while some of the levels are great if you just aim to focus on where the devs want you to focus on, like Paris has the main building.
Outside of that all I can think of is: reporter, helmut's shoot and the waiter smoking to get his outfit.

Hokkaido is probably the worst for it, imo.
Big hospital, two targets. If you want to do suit only, a lot of it is "play guard knockout for an hour"

I completely understand they decided to put in suit only/silent assassin because of people exploting mechanics to get it but it was a secondary idea and it really shows.

Some levels lend itself to stealthing around, like the training level with the Russian dude or even Colorado but some of them like Paris are just fucking tedious

Hell no I thought it was garbage having the markers point out exactly where to go and what to do. You can follow through with shit by listening in on conversations and then working it out yourself at least that's what I did since I beat both games with opportunities off and still completed more than a few of them

If it was how it was "meant to be played" they would have the deault settings with this shit off

Seriously only help in terms of icons/HUD was the NPC icons which show the ones who are gonna spot you wearing a disguise. Even that I wish I didn't have to have on but shit was frustrating af not knowing which guys are gonna see through your disguise without any visual indication they could do so in terms of different unifrom/appearance/demeanor from regular guys wearing your same disguise

I don't get it though, I absolutely loved Blood Money but I can't get into these two entries. Why is that? It just doesn't pull me in for whatever reason. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hokkaido SASO is one of the easiest ones, just climb the pipe near the snowmobiles to get the sauna kill and shoot Soder's heart

Hmm, I didn't know that.
Thank you.

>them being off should have been defaults
and then the game sells like shit because retarded critics and casuals can't into thinking
Might be nostalgia. There are a few things missing from blood money I miss (human shield, elevators, throwing guns, pushing anywhere) but I definitely enjoy the new ones more.

Hokkaido is such a fucking pristine level. Man I love snow levels.

Atmosphere maybe? Blood Money had a pervasive noir quality while the new ones are emulating James Bond, especially evident by the music. Don't think one is better than the either but I can see how the campyness could put off fans of the original 4.

You should be able to pick what level you want to do in the new ones
But do try the one with the racing.
I find that seems to be an interesting blend of new and old

Is there anything in particular you can think of you don't like? Anything from the way the UI looks to how assassins are done

OP here. I don't know about you guys but I loved the newspapers post level detailing how you killed the targets, how many you killed and with what. Think they were an extremely underrated feature from Blood Money that really made how you accomplished the mission more satisfying.

Also miss being able to get Silent Assassin rank if you killed non targets by accident (eg shooting the glass bottom spa in the christmas party level)

Attached: Hitman Blood Money.jpg (800x600, 257K)

I believe that still works, user to get silent assasin.
I think I got SA a few times from explosive kills by gasleak and shooting it

i feel ya my man
and it's definitely not nostalgia in my case because I played Blood Money after HITMAN and I still thoroughly enjoyed BM a lot more

Eh, the newspapers were overrated if anything. They read awkwardly, especially in the shots fired section, and all read pretty much the same. Being able to kill non-targets with accidents is silly, and I'm a bit glad they dropped that.
wrong.

Hm, I'm not sure, which frustrates me because if I could just pinpoint what is it that I dislike I could leave it at that.

Maybe it's how the levels are built like they would in a stealth game to accommodate for SASO? The overall aesthetic is nice and all but I'm not a big fan of the tone of the game, how it's this glamorous spy thriller lacking the darkness the previous games had. I hate being vague but it might come down to the overall feel the game has. Maybe that the game is built on its modular nature and because of it things don't feel as unique?

Really? I thought accidents didn't count.
Interesting.

SASO is something I fucking loathe in these games. Some of the levels work completely against logic with it.

I'd say avoid SASO and just try go for SA - SASO feels more like "k, you did what we expected, now do more tricks that aren't logical".

You'll skip story a bit but try the last level in Hitman 2, not the sniper level the castle in I forget where. It's not as dark but as the story goes on it's a bit darker

I think the accomodation for SASO is the main culprit.
It forces the devs to design the levels and assassinations in an entirely different manner than classical hitman design.
For example it makes the whole disguise mechanic more of an optional thing than a centerpiece of gameplay.

They don't count on targets. You definitely get penalized for non-targets.

I think that might be it, yes. It's funny, normally you'd think more approach options would be a good thing.