Old PC died, time for a new gaming rig

Old PC died, time for a new gaming rig.

I have 4000~ canadian dollarydoos - only criteria is that it needs to be a laptop (without a detachable keyboard).

Alienware Area 51m is at the top of my list right now, anybody with personal experience using it?

Planned config:
CPU: i7-9700K
Video card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6
Display: 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display with Tobii eyetracking technology
RAM: 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
Drive: 512GB RAID 0 (2x 256GB PCIe M.2 SSDs) + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive

Cyberpunk 2077 here I come

Attached: A51-Feature-640x353.jpg (640x353, 22K)

Looks like this would cost $4,199.99 CAD, or 3,147.12 USD

>tfw 1 CAD has dropped to literally 0.75 USD now

>have $4000
>buying a gayman laptop
yikes

Attached: 1552334447399.png (645x773, 49K)

I know it's not ideal, but I need to move it around regularly. Government job with lots of travel.

Attached: 1552192727620.jpg (1024x1024, 110K)

Alienware used to be a meme in the early 2000s but their hardware is actually solid these days, as long as you reapply the thermal paste yourself (dell does a shit job)

>2400mhz
You should get at least 3000mhz

get mini itx nigger

>Taiwanese shit
no thanks cuck

its all chinkshit user. you gotta pick your poison

Three things: most gaming laptops won't get over 5 hours at best on battery, even with very good windows optimization

They're heavy as fuck

4k screens are NOT worth it on a laptop, ever.
If you want 4k, buy a monitor or tv and output video to it.

That said: notebookcheck.net
check the laptops you're interested in there.
Anything with a 2060 should be more than fine for 1080p gaming for a few years with mid settings.

As for your particular laptop:
don't get raid. Don't get a HDD, even for storage - that 1tb HDD that costs $100? You can get a 4TB external one for like $150-180
You only ever need one SSD, ideally one you can upgrade yourself so you get the cheapest config SSD possible then buy it cheaper and just swap it out.

whatever you do, do NOT get an i9 processor, it is a marketing gimmick in a laptop
Use notebookcheck and pay attention to throttling and cooling, then performance.
A laptop that throttles or is blazing hot is going to die faster.
Also get a cooling pad for like 30 bucks and PLEASE, get a fucking USB hub. You do not want to wreck one of your USB ports - better to wreck that $10 hub than sending your nice $4000 cancuk monopoly laptop in for repair for a few weeks

>won't get over 5 hours at best on battery,
That's fine, my base has power everywhere.

Thanks for the link.

>Don't get raid
It's RAID 0, I think it'll be fine.

>i9 is a gimmick
I hear that a lot, that's why I'm going with the i7.

>cooling pad
Already have one!

lol wasted money for memes

>only criteria is that it needs to be a laptop
Lost. You should save the funniest part for the very end of the post you know.

I mean that raid isn't worth it really for a laptop unless you're doing work on it with data you absolutely cannot lose, like financial data with excel.

Still, unless you'll be on the base for more than 5 years and don't mind 1080p with mid settings (even high), then a 2070 would be ideal.
MSI laptops are pretty great, also Schenker/Clevo ones

Only thing I'd warn you is they do get really loud at times - so you might be a bit of a distraction depending where you are.
If you can, wait about 2 weeks to a month and look into the Alienware again, since by then people hve more experience with it since it just came out

What are you referencing? Mini ITX is a motherboard and case profile.

Mini itx stands for the motherboard size.

developed by VIA Technologies in 2001. Taiwanese company.

I have an Aero 15Xv8 and it performs really well. It played RE2make and AC7 on very high settings at a stable 60fps. Only downside is that it can sound like a jet engine taking off (which was a plus for the immersion in AC7).

>Originally
So don't buy from them you dumb faggot.

And if a 2 foot*2 foot storage container was invented by some other fake chinks, would you boycott all containers by those dimensions no matter the nationality of the manufacturer?

Attached: 1417147279276.png (572x380, 356K)

>previously used old Acer Aspire I bought for $400 nearly a decade ago
>ran Mint fine for a while, but barely hanging on at this point in terms of performance
>splurged and bought a new Acer Aspire for $900 with a 6gb GTX 1060 in it
>can now actually play vidya on the road without lugging around my desktop

Jet engine is pretty much the price you pay for high-quality gaming performance in a portable device. My new laptop sounds the same when I'm running VR stuff, but with headphones on it's barely noticeable.

Even if you move a lot you should get an mini itx case, a 2080 ti zotac mini destroys the shit outta the memewares, every single gaming laptop is loud and overheats easily. On top of that you could get a decent laptop too with the money you saved by not buying an overpriced product, you could use it to play less demanding games or older games.

>Im fucking retarded, im gonna buy a gaming laptop
>don't buy a gaming laptop, retard
>FUCK YOU Yea Forums YOU DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO

Attached: 1543708894238.jpg (500x500, 43K)

Get the i7 8700K, less temperature
RTX 2070 is pretty good
Display is okay
DDR4 16GB dual-channel RAM is amazing, but upgrade your 2400MHz to at least 3000~4000MHz
You can replace M.2 SSDs for SATA SSDs just to save money (optional) there's virtually no performance loss in terms of gaming. M.2 matters if you're moving huge files around and you're a video/image editor or whatever
1TB harddrive is okay but you need to install your operating system and games on your SSD for quicker load times.

These are some suggestions but honestly your planned config is pretty good overall. The one thing I must highlight is the 2400MHz on the RAM. You'll want at least 3000~4000MHz

Thanks man. I'll probably get the stated config, then swap out the RAM in like 2-3 years, same with the SSDs (they should be a lot cheaper by then).

the Area51m is literally the only gaming laptop you can't say that about, it's as easy to replace parts in it as any regular tower.

It's not 2008 anymore, grandpas. What's the problem with gaming laptops now? They're as powerful as desktops, but portable. Besides battery and temperature issues there really isnt much of a difference.

>Besides battery and temperature issues there really isnt much of a difference.
and a thousand dollars

It's kind of the same deal as doing your own oil change, vs taking it to a shop.

If you're not retarded, you can change your own oil.

If you have money, you might as well get somebody to do it for you, while you enjoy doing something else.

How the fuck does your pc just die like that? you fucking faggot, either one or two parts got fucked but it is pretty much impossible for the whole thing to get fucked just like that, but since you are asking for a gayman laptop, I guess you are just a fucking retard.

Poor ventilation and lacking of modability (whether to enhance or merely fix/repair) will never not be an issue.

Neighbours house caught on fire, so did mine. Luckily I have good insurance because I'm not retarded.

I heard omen had great thermals.

Modern PCs are for retards. Paying thousands for slightly better fps than a console and the same games, and 90% play f2p games that run on a microwave from the 80s

So basically, gaming laptops aren't affordable, and poorfags have to shit on them because they're poor? If OP has the money to buy a gaming laptop and replace it every ~2 years then it shouldnt be an issue. Stop being poor.

> I7 9700 and RTX 2070 for 1080p gaming

Attached: ytho.jpg (480x270, 16K)

I mean, you're not wrong, but I can't do my accounting work on a console. At least I can tab between games and Excel with a computer.

>Stop being poor
a fool and his money

Bro get an msi laptop that has a 1060 in it for like 1200 and then build a nice ass rig for the other 2800

>PC died
Did you buy a prebuilt piece of shit or something?
PCs don't die

This is actually legit advice.

1080p @ 144fps and very high settings. It's reasonable and futureproof. Downgrading the CPU to i7 8700K would be saving money and thermal throttling though

The only real gaming laptops that stand out are Asus G-series laptops.
This is mainly because they're built more like traditional computers, meaning they're assembled in a way that lets you open them up and replace parts easily. Almost every component on them is accessible and replaceable, and the cooling on them is really well designed so you actually get desktop performance. They're monsters, though.

If you're not the type of user that cares enough to maintain their machine, then it really doesn't matter. Get whatever laptop looks the shiniest, because they're mostly the same shit.
Hybrid drives are garbage, avoid those.
Alienware hasn't been good in a long time, check out Origin.
If you can, avoid getting a 4k screen on a laptop. It's a massive meme and your performance will tank for said meme. 4k isn't a noticeable enough difference at 18 inches and you can always get a 4k monitor later and plug it in.

I mean, that's pretty decent.

Again, Mini ITX is a motherboard and case profile. What are you on about? It was originally proposed and designed by a Taiwanese company. "Originally".

>Luckily I have good insurance because I'm not retarded.
You're about to drop $4000 on a gaming laptop so that says otherwise.