Dwarf Fortress on Steam

So it finally gonna be playable?
I tried DF but I'm not autistic enough to understand a game that look like Microsoft Excel.

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WAEMgcpkQX8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You could literally always install a tileset to get graphics for DF, there's even several downloads with preinstalled tilesets on the official forums for the true brainlets.

As a Gregor I demand to remove Dwarf Fortress from my gaming Tier.

The graphics on this Steam release looks comfy but I also want a decent UI.
This fucking game really needs a UI and mouse support.

All it takes is remembering which button brings up which menu, its not that hard.

That's only the tileset as numerous others.
Gameplaywise there still are a lot of tables. But with a bit of luck they overworked the UI

>Gregor
>Talking
Faggot

Isn't it litteraly just a tileset?

It will simply add fancy tileset and some music.
The main difficulty is getting used to the UI, but fan-mods are able to make it easier (Just download the Lazy Newb Pack and go through the introductory tutorial on wiki). The game itself is not that hard to grasp, it's just that there are a lot of subsystems that are mostly optional, but when looked in their entirety may confuse the newcomers. Just learn the essential mechanics bit by bit and experiment with the new stuff after that. You may lose some forts while figuring it out, but remember - losing is !FUN!.

Just donate a few bucks to them directly and keep playing the bay 12 version if you want to support them.

use the lazy newb's pack my dude

the game isn't hard to play, but it is one of the hardests games to learn and start playing, and you never quite stop learning, it gets easier over time tho, and the stories it can creat definetly make it worth the time investment requiered, as long as you care about them.

While I don't have a cactus up my ass like some other people I still fail to see the appeal of point of this. Or how it will be easier to play than OG DF

DF has never been a difficult game, the only challenge is dealing with the UI which can be over come by reading the wiki for 10 minuets. Building a working fort is not hard.

As for tile sets, they have always been a thing, along with a 100 other graphical addons. Want to play DF in a semi-isometric view? Well its a mod has been around for a while, problem solved.

I just don't see the point in paying for this. If you want to support the devs just give the money directly.

I tried but it doesn't looks good but I like the pixel art made for this steam release.
I also I want a decent UI.

Attached: 8AzQtTBQVshsu7CjyeDVzD.png (1920x1080, 595K)

LNP has something in it (i think it's dfhack) that allows you to do a good part of stuff with the mouse, and also, why don't you check the wiki for texture packs, on a side note, i think ascii graphics work the best, since you can fill in the gaps with your imagination, and you get used to "speaking" ascii after a couple hours

There isn't one game in history that has gotten better by being more accessible.

>What is lazy newb pack?

dwarf fortress would be made much better if the UI wasn't pure ass.

I play a lot of Rimworld and I love it. Would I enjoy this game?

LNP also comes with stonesense which looks a lot better.

Attached: 4071655207_868ca417cc_o.png (500x326, 426K)

Why the fuck this game has cats?

Attached: lmao-2-cat-15935992.png (500x411, 73K)

Attached: BVyce.jpg (400x285, 22K)

Attached: catsplosion-hq.jpg (2000x2828, 2.91M)

Probably

Some people bitch about Rimworld being a "rip off, shittier DF"

Some people call DwarFort "A over complicated, shittier version of Rimeworld".

They have some basic concepts in common, but are pretty different. If you like controlling a group of living things, helping them build stuff, and laughing at them when they fuck up then I would recommend DF.

He does have a point tough, DF looks like a mess at first, but is pretty easy to follow after a little while.

They mainly help to catch rodents that attack your food stocks. Otherwise, they're absolutely detestable and disgusting creatures and should not be approached carelessly.

dev likes cats

>So it finally gonna be playable?
It already is playable, faggot.

Although this new tileset is very pleasing, and will surely bring in a large audience that otherwise wouldn't bother trying to play the game, I hope their main development focus remains on the bay12 version.
From what I understand, Tarn and Zach badly needed an injection of cash. I see nothing wrong with this, considering they could have sold their game off or done some other shitty/greedy thing long ago. I just hope that the Steam release is merely being used as a platform or "teaser" to bring in a larger playerbase

Is it just me or does it look like they used RPG Maker's RTP assets for the graphics?

This
Will there be any other improvements or is that it?
i.e. not so shitty management of dorfs

>install lazy newb pack
>it crashes after world generation

great

so you're saying you're a retard that doesn't understand Microsoft Excel?

Attached: 1482012815479.jpg (843x1208, 247K)

graphics are not the problem with df, its the ui. everything is a keybind, there are no menus, windows etc. integrate the fucking mouse and game will be much better

Attached: 1550538662368.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

Absolute brainlet here.
What are tilesets that you guys talking about?
I've been looking getting into DF but the graphic are very hard to understand, are tilesets only change the graphic so brainlet like me can understand or it changes the core gameplay too?

Use dfhack
it has tons of features besides cheating

yes, but beware that, because of the graphics code(which is hopefully getting fixed for steam version), some things will need to be letters, because the same letter represents multiple different creatures and the only difference is the color.

Vanilla DF is just ASCII text.
Tilesets are just graphics packs that swap out ASCII characters for little pictures.
Still sucks, but DF is pretty great if you look past that

muh health insurance
if you cant pay for it then die

I'm not convinced the UI is a problem that needs to be fixed desu. If they do implement mouse support at some time, I hope they at least retain the ability for the player to play with only the keyboard. It is very liberating, and is much more efficient when you get accustomed to the keystrokes.

Dwarf economy when?
That was promised like 10 years ago

How do I make this game not easy as fuck in an ineresting way?

It annoys the shit out of me that the enemies are fucking stupid and will just walk through deathtrap corridors without even trying to avoid it.

>not out yet
>no release date
Ok this is epic !!

The UI sucks because once you start gaining in size micromanaging your dorfs is impossible without a ritalin prescription and unemployment cheques

the only thing I like about the tileset, is because it will be an 'official' tileset and apparently Toady is reworking how the tiles are done to accommodate it it means that its probably going to be the Single best tileset to use for the game since a lot of other tilesets have a lot of Jank about them in places while this most likely will not

do they have pixel art for all the fun? wont this also put more strain on the cpu?

I love how seething this has made “fans”. Surely you want more people playing it so the dev can be happy and make some bank? Stop raging about how people play your precious game holy shit.

DF is such a complex game just the stuff that happens in the background will fuck your CPU's shit up.
I played on a map with a waterfall once and I got like 2 FPS at map start

I disagree. The difficulty of managing individual dwarves does not change with the size of your fortress. In what way do you think population size makes it more difficult, and how would better UI improve it?

Is it not the norm to manually assign jobs and workspaces?

>there are no menus
>integrate the mouse
Confirmed not having played the game

Attached: 1538642243253.png (625x619, 803K)

Ah yes, it's very liberating to mark zones by tapping arrows.

>I hope their main development focus remains on the bay12 version.
They are updating them simultaneously, there will be practically no difference besides the "premium" tileset

its 3rd party and shit

the funniest thing about the Raging fans is also the fact that the main reason the dev is putting a paid version on steam is so he can pay for medical treatment
as in potentially life saving medical treatment.
as in without it there is a high chance that dwarf fort will stop getting more content and will never be finished

Wait what?
What happened to toady???
Doesn't he make enough off donations to pay for health insurance?

HEY Yea Forums HEY
HEY Yea Forums LOOK YOUR SUPER UNDERGROUND GAME GETS POPULAR
START REEEEEEEEEEEEEEING NOW YOU BUTTHURT CONTRARIAN AUTISTS

Just turn excess dwarves into professional haulers and goblin bait

its like some rare and expensive as all fuck genetic condition

>new UI and graphics so the pcmustardfaec can play it

Doesn't his brother have cancer

So how's that console port doing?

Yes, but I don't see how that's an issue with the UI. A larger population simply has more dwarves to assign
Yes exactly, I'm glad you understand. I personally enjoy not having to use a mouse for everything. Shift+arrow will skip over like 6 spaces, allowing you to very quickly and accurately select the area you want

It's very easy to get used to not just using a mouse.

The contols are what makes DF a chore to play.
So if they don't change that they wont get new players through steam

>chore
its the easiest shit

>Thread is full of people saying "Dwarf Fortress has graphix now?"
The problem isn't that its now on steam, its that literal fucking retards plague these threads

why the fuck do you need a mouse in a keyboard only game? Nothing but a crutch.

yea after hours of getting used to.
There's no point in doing it like that.

>9k a fucking months with fucking insurance while barely working and going weeks long trips
>still need more dosh

Why can't the just fucking implement mouse controls. They can even keep all the keyboard buttons but just allow me to hover over tiles and then press keys to do funcionalities. Would improve the game tons

wow, poor man's rimworld much?

You are retarded then if you need hours to remember a few keys

I don't need full mouse controls, but the ability to hover over tiles and get a quick overview of what's there would be such a time saver

American healthcare

maybe, but the controls need a complete overhaul

No they don't

why not?

>not being an absolute brainlet makes you autistic now

Attached: 1531893424370.png (500x399, 320K)

Because they are easy enough already and most of them are intuitive, like d for destinations, d for dig etc.

i wish stonesense was usable as a proxy client
it reminds me of Digimon World 3

why not make it optional? you lose nothing and gain customers

if it takes you hours to memorize a few buttons then you're probably incapable of playing df in the first place.

>gregor
>Capital G

New dorfs come every 5 minutes, before you've had time to build workshops for them.
If you kill them you need to build crypts ahead of time otherwise you'll get ghosts and bad feels and shit

it took me 30 minutes to git gud

Which can be great, unlesso ne has a shitty plan.

Faggots make over 6 digits and you mean to tell me they cannot afford good health care?

It uses a similar color palette and methodology of design. What the fuck are those slanted elevations though, those look so fucking bad.

no mouse support no buy

Not him and i've never used mouse to play DF and don't now if it has uses or not.

I know it's not hard but it's still shit.

It's not different from any roguelike

DWARF FORTRESS IS NO LONGER A GREGOR TIER GAME. IT WAS REMOVE LONG AGO.

Attached: 9b1.jpg (1500x3114, 2.27M)

That is not the case for a long time. Each creature could be given a different picture, besides Forgotten Beasts due to the fact that they are a mishmash of parts.

Though there are some map features that share the graphics.

Did any of you larping faggots actually play the game? If you spent at least couple of hours playing, you'd know the graphics is the least concern when trying to learn it.

Attached: 1552740364178.jpg (187x233, 11K)

Fucking soulless.
Pic related is what Dwarf Fortress looks like without a tileset and a little bit of imagination.

Attached: MvUwaGRS8Hkh_7fkv-Pix6CfiA4_8bZp9FuL9Tk4ESE.jpg (1024x486, 74K)

my biggest concern was the fucking were-elk who kept stalking my dwarf rangers and fishermen

>Not settling in a haunted biome and gathering eyeballs to feed your fort

This is better.
Dwarf Fortress ASCII still a Gregor Tier.

Attached: 36f.jpg (1500x2600, 1.73M)

Not our fault you fucking toddlers can't bother to learn how to play this game and keep demanding shiny graphics and UI.

Tried to learn it long ago (7 or 9 years ago) and didnt get the interface so I gave up on it. Been meaning to get back into it since I love rimworld and a buddy of mine keeps going "hur dur dorfortress good Rimmedworld worse". Might offically try it when I get that faglord to try rimworld at the same time as I try dorf.

Recently got and played kenshi, settling in that game was a mistake it'
s such a bad settlement simulator compared to "walk around and find cool shit simulator".

what are some fun names youve come across Yea Forums. my last world was named the eternal universe

Attached: 1342165421642514.jpg (600x428, 27K)

>Rape simulators are alien tier
PFFFFFFFFFT
I played that shit at 14

Gnomoria features a hybrid mouse-keyboard ui where most actions can be done with either a few mousclicks or keyboard shortcuts. It's general improvements to managing your fortress or probably the biggest contributions the game made to the genre.

Attached: menus.jpg (765x897, 171K)

Are you literally autistic?

what master system game is this?

A Sega Master System's CPU would implode and form into a black hole if it tried running Dwarf Fort.

2 CATS AAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Not even the PS4 CPU can handle this game. Graphics are shit but the amount of CPU usage is enormous.

It looks like shit mate, the perspective is all sorts of fucked and the ramps are hideous. Lazy newb pack has a couple tilesets that actually look better than this.

T H I S. If you can't remake df to look like the lord of the rings movies then leave it be.

Attached: thedeep.jpg (1760x906, 420K)

Doesn't get any worse, either...

how the fuck are people like you even allowed on Yea Forums in the first place?
god this place really could have done with some gate keeping

fortress mode isnt really roguelike

I was referring to the controls

>Playable
It will just have a new tileset slapped on top, if you can't handle the magnificent DF UI you shoudln't even try, you need higher than average IQ to join the glorious DF master race.

Anything below oldfag must be exterminated, not that they would be capable to pass their inferior genes but just to make sure they definitely won't.

Nobody cares about this DF clone

>Grass ramps

>he doesn't navigate his entire computing experience exclusively with the keyboard

pathetic.

Xbox Live UNO/Chess isn't on these lists, so i can only assume they are garbage lists

Presumably they want to play like SimCity, with buttons you can click on. This would go a long way towards organizing the menu, since currently it's hard to recognize the full extent of the game's features as a new player since they are tucked away in sub-menus that you may never open, or whose purpose you can't understand just from the name which could benefit from a visual explanation. It should be noted that Aurora 4X already has mouse support in all of the menus, yet obfuscates important features even harder than DF with no clear guidance or flow towards vital sub-menus. Total mouse functionality would be pointless to develop because you can already mouse aim your commands, there are far too many commands to display properly in a menu large/organized enough for easy mouse access, and it would take so much extra time and require so many inputs that people would just use the keyboard instead.

What we really need most is to streamline construction, which requires a retarded amount of inputs especially when you take into account button presses to size and aim, as well as selecting your materials. A large visual menu with mouse control would help ease some of this, since hovering over your intended material would cut out a lot of work, but I'm not convinced it would help much with precise area selection. With designations/zones it's a lot easier (and these already work with the mouse), but constructions require a ton of precise micromanagement in a way that feels very different from most labors and has seemingly no easy fix. Dwarf AI and orders need to be developed far more than the UI, since construction, digging (while avoiding cave-ins), and dumping/cleanup take up far more than their fair share of play time, but since the UI does an incredibly poor job of teaching you new features and is already visually jam-packed, I'm not exactly sure what the order of operations should be to smoothly implement it without becoming another useless arcane obstacle.

reading the patch notes for this game is more fun than the actual game

df would be a perfect game for linux

>youtube.com/watch?v=WAEMgcpkQX8
The game keeps track of friction which makes it possible for enough cats on a single time to catch on fire very, very violently.

Attached: 0QvVdx1n9AiImOL49L9p.jpg (640x427, 46K)

My brain makes me think the slope goes downards towards the rooms not upwards.

The light source seems to be in the lower right, while your brain assumes it to be in the upper left by default.

>Hurhurhur just use your mind goy! These shitty graphics from 30 years ago will look good if you get a degree in mental gymnastics! Keep those shekels flowing in, yes!
Fuck off, go back to pl*bbit mr goldstein cock sucker

>look mom, do I fit in yet?

nothing prevents you from using imagination when using a tileset.

It's how casuals cope with being retarded. If you play anything more complex than assassins creed then you have autism!

The points are put into gameplay instead of graphics, and Dwarf Fortress is a free game anyway retard

Imagine paying money for someone to put a texture pack on for you, I like that this is releasing as a retard tax.

Does anything below "The Daemon" actually exist and/or considered a game?

Murica Fuck YEah !

Attached: 1543544348234.jpg (279x229, 32K)

>people want a UI that doesn't suck dick
OH NO THE HORROR