Linearily boxes you in to collecting power ups

>linearily boxes you in to collecting power ups
>uses upgrades as a mediocre excuse to pad back tracking
>makes you scavenge the map for 12 triforce pieces to unlock the end credits
>forces you to backtrack through the same area at least 5 times during basic progression
>moves so fucking slow
Why do cubekiddies continue to praise this game? It's such trash.

Attached: mpinus.jpg (220x305, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lesncaOmAiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-CsWlocKa7E
youtube.com/watch?v=zyoGD6uwCmk
youtube.com/watch?v=K42EmnICD6E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

now that this thread will have guaranteed replies, let’s discuss why the prime trilogy is the best of all the metroid games

>tfw everything gets dark and the Chozo ghosts come out and you know you are trespassing on holy ground.

>prime 1
see OP
>prime 2
rehash
>prime 3
shit halo clone. now let's discuss the best first person exploration game.

Attached: Powerslave.jpg (1400x2360, 883K)

man no game had better sequence breaks than this one. love getting the hi jump boots first and just exploren what i can get way early

I see you also watched the Mark Brown video.

Yeah, I remembered that the game was a massive piece of shit thanks to him.

>you lived long enough to see retro make Prime 4
Best timeline

Attached: 1526659328833.gif (240x240, 62K)

youtube.com/watch?v=lesncaOmAiQ

Attached: Quadraxis_Battle.jpg (480x288, 89K)

Prime 1 is my favorite game of all time

Prime 2 is similar enough that I subconciously lump it into 1, but 3 is way too different (and bad).

Prime 3 really isn't that great. But, 2 and the first Prime are.

I think he was a little harsh on it at some points, but he raises some problems that I had with it. There are times when the backtracking just feels tedious because of the lack of interconnectivity between the areas. Most players will have to go through the same 20 or so rooms in Magmoor over a dozen times to do all the backtracking back and forth to Phendrana.

I think my biggest problem with the gameplay is something almost no one else mentions though: the scanning mechanic. While it does give nice bits of back story, it really slows the gameplay down. I think maybe all of the scan points should have been optional for people who wanted to read; a puzzle where all you have to do is scan a certain point is no real puzzle at all. Also, it's much better to convey information through the environment rather than dumping a paragraph of text onto a player.

A slow pace isn't automatically a bad thing. It can work for some types of games, such as those with a heavy emphasis on atmosphere and visual storytelling. Not every game in existence needs to be specifically designed to appeal to ADHD speedrunners on crack.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1024x576, 30K)

Scanning fucking sucks.
>A slow pace isn't automatically a bad thing
It's a general problem with all nintendo games on the gamecube, slow and too hand-holdy.

none of this really bothers me about the Prime series but one of the things that does is the focus on scanning
It's hilarious in a way because the scanner was basically the most useless completely skip-able item in Super Metroid but what bothers me is that it completely changes the tone of the games
2D Metroid relied almost entirely on environmental story telling with virtually no text throughout the whole entire game
But then in Prime they had to go and ruin that by making everything scan-able and just handing you the lore with no subtlety
But it's not even like this is unique to Prime
Games in general seem to have no clue how to subtly deliver a story it's just that Metroid was one of the series that actually used to before Prime

>complains about a game 20 years later
>complains that people had fun
>probably depressed and cant realize he could shit up a cynical list of flaws for literally every video game that ever existed

TELL ME WHY I HAD TO BE A POWERSLAVE

Attached: sing.png (300x300, 115K)

So have you ever played a metroid game or what? Everything except for moving slow, which is really subjective, is part of the metroid style

moving slow isn't part of the metroid style, that's objective. It's badly designed.

nice to see people call out this shitty game
youtube.com/watch?v=-CsWlocKa7E

>complains about being boxed in
>complains about backtracking
Just do the Scan-Strafe Jump sequence break off the ship in Tallon Overworld to get the Space Jump right from the get go. It makes the game so much more better

Prime 1 and 2 are Fantastic
Prime 3 is ok, better than Fed Force and Other M I suppose.

>criticises metroid for being metroid
>???
>profit

Attached: 1_8_k2QML9o2wNsF7gGvpCnA.jpg (600x384, 21K)

>everything except for moving slow
Come on, it's two sentence post, why do you only reply to the part that I explicitly said otherwise on. Also, moving speed is subjective unless you're talking about a comparison to how quickly enemies move.

You haven't watched the video have you?

I don't believe people who type like this actually played old Metroid games. They only got fast when you already played the game and understood where to go. The environments are generally cramped, and can only be sped through when you've already explored, which is the main point of the franchise.

Likewise, the OP's complaint are only really noticeable if a person has played the game more than twice. Or you watched a certain Youtube video that gave you a bunch of opinions.

Metroid Prime 1 isn't linear. You can bust the game wide open by getting the space jump as soon as you land on the planet.
Not the games fault you're too casul to play it right.

backtracking padding most of the game is easily picked up on in the first play through.

Metroid games all have some amount of backtracking. It's part of the exploration deal: You have to go back to places you've been to solve a problem. The only padding was the Chozo Artifacts, and even with those you could collect them along the way, and you were told about them early on.

Yeah, it's almost as if it's so bad in Prime it needs to be mentioned as a flaw instead of as a trait. Prime is a fucking chore, basically unplayable.

I know this is just a joke but it gave me AIDS.

I always liked the 2D games more because of these reasons.

>Yeah, it's almost as if it's so bad in Prime it needs to be mentioned as a flaw instead of as a trait.
I didn't find it bad at all.
I enjoyed looking around, seeing the sights, understanding layouts, and sometimes even just standing still and taking things in. I didn't understand it as a criticism when I first heard it, and still don't agree afterwards.

But I also like Steambot Chronicles and Morphite for similar reasons, so I guess it's just a "me" thing.

Its not a flaw if some people find it engaging. OP just has a hate boner for metroid prime and can't stop seething.

>and still don't agree afterwards.
because the idea of looking around 3D spaces is clearly novel to you whos first console was the gamecube. Everyone who grew up playing games in the 90s got their fill of that and needed more substance. For a generation that finally got the basics of 3D nailed down and finally started getting weird and experimental, Nintendo played it pathetically safe. No wonder the cube was a failure that lost the generation.

I would say Prime 1 is the best Metroid game, definitely. It's probably the most atmospheric game I've ever played. No game immerses you in an experience like Prime 1. The graphics are almost unbelievably good for gamecube, the music is 10/10, the environmental design is 10/10, the enemy design is 10/10, the sound effects are 10/10, and scanning for lore and context is just really comfy. Almost like unraveling a mystery. The only thing negative I can say is the combat isn't perfect. The controls don't feel like they were made with heavy combat in mind.
Prime 1 is my favorite as well. Prime 2 never lived up to the first one and 3 just never felt right at all to me.

The early game is pretty boring to be honest.
>Go through Magmoor Caverns
>Make it to Phendrana
>Get Boost Ball
>Have to go all the way back through Magmoor Caverns
>Get to Tallon Overworld
>Get Space Jump
>Haul dick through Magmoor Caverns again
>Get Wave Beam
It's a fucking chore. Magmoor Caverns is incredibly boring to go through, since it's effectively a single linear tunnel. There are no choices on how to make your way through it. You just go forward or backwards and there are NO upgrades other than the Plasma Beam.
It honestly feels kinda unfinished in that regard. From what I've read, there was supposed to be some kinda lava monster in there somewhere. They could have made it a more interesting area.
I absolutely love Prime, but there are some issues that aren't present in earlier Metroid titles.

>Nintendo played it pathetically safe.
Nintendo didn't make Metroid Prime, but you're still crazy wrong.
If you think games like Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker were pathetically safe, you're straight up retarded.

Retro Studio is owned by Nintendo though, hes not wrong.

MP1 was rushed, there were 2 bosses planned but didnt make it, Kraid and Lava boss, also there were powerups planned, the screw attack and..., i forgot its name but its on the 2D game, basically you build up speed to destroy wall, barriers etc

>Nintendo played it pathetically safe.

Nice revisionism. People thought Nintendo were crazy for turning Metroid into an fps and handing it over to a no name western studio.

Ebin. I too saw the Boss Keys video.
Not wrong though

The Speed Booster

No, he is wrong. Retro were the developers, not Nintendo.
Still
>Take a game series that has been lying dormant for 8 years
>Outsource it to an almost unknown studio in Texas
>Change the gameplay formula completely
>Pathetically safe

Attached: thinken of corruptions.jpg (678x510, 64K)

>metroid prime was crazy
it's just a worse power slave.
>Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker were pathetically safe
This is hard to disagree with.

>it's just a worse power slave.
I'm convinced you haven't played Power Slave and are just using it to win prestige points. You telling me you had a Saturn? You telling me you had enough information about games to know that the Saturn version of Power Slave was not the same as the PC version? That not common knowledge even now.

I'm not going to reply to you, because I've already made my argument and I think you're being intentionally stupid at this point.

Attached: 1451359501230.jpg (332x346, 64K)

hehe

Attached: samus_returns_by_mizz_britt_dbcmony-fullview.jpg (1024x1088, 142K)

>That not common knowledge even now.
you're outclassed nintenbro.

Attached: P_20170808_153138_vHDR_Auto.jpg (4656x2620, 2.12M)

>linearily boxes you in to collecting power ups
>uses upgrades as a mediocre excuse to pad back tracking
>makes you scavenge the map for 12 triforce pieces to unlock the end credits
>forces you to backtrack through the same area at least 5 times during basic progression
>moves so fucking slow
Yeah, what a piece of shit game Super Metroid was.

Attached: download.jpg (220x153, 16K)

I DON'T WANT TO DIE I'M A GOD WHY CAN'T I LIVE ON

Attached: download (1).jpg (284x177, 8K)

That's not HeXen.

romero's an awful designer.

Yes, that doesn't make HeXen any less good.

Unfortunately it's just not a particularly fun game. Try Powerslave or if you're cucked by the PC, Powerslave EX.

>it's just not a particularly fun game.
Try Heretic maybe? Ill give Powerslave a shot.

Yeah, they basically play like doom mods. Powerslave on Saturn/PS1 or EX is far better than that. Better weapons, enemy design, health mechanics, you name it.

Attached: powerslave-saturn.webm (560x404, 2.94M)

It's actually not a joke. You really can sequence break the space jump immediately. Needs to be on the 1.0 version of the game though they patched it in every rerelease.

Powerslave EX has been cucked. Where can I find it? Whats different about the DOS version?

People that complain that Phendrana isn't connected to other area are brainets.
It has 2 exits both leading to Magmoor. The 1st one puts you 5 rooms from a elevator to Tallon overworld (exactly where you need to go to get the hi jump boots) The 2nd one is 2 rooms away from Phazon mines.

dos version is a duke nukem clone. The real game made for saturn and ps1 is a sprawling exploration based shooter where you gain power ups, revisit levels to find alternate routes, find more secrets, upgrades, and progress in a variety of ways. The first result for "powerslave ex download link" gives you the full game.

youtube.com/watch?v=zyoGD6uwCmk

I didn't agree with him at all except one thing with Samus Returns, the atmosphere but man, was he spot on with Prime him and this guy. This is the reason I didn't continue Prime past the first game and liked the 2D games better.

Alright I found it, thank you.

>moves so fucking slow
>he doesn't boost ball his way through the game

>We are entering an age where Metroid Prime will be considered "Bad" by user
At least it won't be like the army of people who think 2d Sonic is bad because it has a time limit.

Yea Forums is full of contrarianism. I'm just amazed that Prime has been loved for so long. We haven't completely turned on it like Half Life 2.

It kinda sucks seeing that gradual shift, makes me wonder if prime4 will make it worse

>hurr durr I have ADHD

I personally prefer prime to super because it doesn't fell like I am always underwater.

People nowadays hate having different games. They want video games to be one thing and one thing only, with very specific setup for level design, combat design, world design, story design, etc. They will represent the death of imagination.

Half-Life 2 had great physics, but the levels were godawful with only a few exceptions like ravenholm.

Did HL2 have great physics? I mostly remember the teeter totter puzzles. It was like a sesame street game.

It's not contrarianism, the flaws were always there.

Shadow Man did backtracking masterfully.

This is how Metroid should've been designed. Also first person was ass.

Attached: 51V9578GG0L.jpg (412x500, 54K)

Yeah the entire game was physics user

I guess it's a consequence of the Universal Gritty Third Person Action Game becoming such a popular, along with CoD and its RPG elements. Games seem to be becoming more and more streamlined, to the point where certain forms of play are rubbed out as "bad design".

Streamlining isn't the same as "Difficulty" mind: Kirby's Dreamland is absurdly easy, but it would still be considered clunky compared to Super Star Ultra. It just happens that Streamlining often negates difficulty, thus you get HUGE, mysterious open world games that have everything marked out so you don't get lost.

>the lack of interconnectivity between the areas
What

I thought Yea Forumsirgins hated ecelebs and youtube. Why do you worship their opinions when it allows you to make bait threads?

>Why do you worship their opinions
I don't. But, it's good to see some different perspectives every now and then.
Prime is probably my favourite game, but I really can't find any fault in the argument that the structure is poor. The artifact hunt is pretty poorly laid out.
Doesn't change my enjoyment of the game though.

I briefly played Prime 1 as a kid and loved the shit out of literally everything
Played through Super Metroid for the first time ever last year and it's one of my all time favorited

Now I am downloading the Wii Metroid Prime trilogy on emulator so I can use mouse aim
I am so fucking pumped, should I lower my expectations guys?

Depends on what you liked about it back then

How is it poorly laid out? The game tells you exactly where the damn things are.

>It's not contrarianism
>Metroid Prime is just a worse PowerSlave
>This Metroid game ripped off this Build Engine game that took elements from a Metroid game.
Pretty contrarian bro.

He probably means its poor laid out as in you need to do it all at the end of the game. Despite the game allowing you to start the quest as early as missiles.

>powerslave is a build engine game
oh no it's retarded

you can only get a handful of the artifacts before the game forces the rest on you at the end. It's impossible to not have the last chunk of the game be tedious back tracking.

>do it all at the end
Nigga what? As soon as you have the needed upgrades you can get them right then and there. Same with the much-maligned Sky Temple Keys in Echoes, the moment you get the Dark Visor from Chykka you can get a third of them immediately and the rest as you progress.

>literally everything
Not saying young me or kids in general would notice enough to hold critical merit though

Well you'd probably still have a good time with it regardless

Attached: 1524761137094.png (1920x1080, 1.38M)

PC version was Build Engine.
I got it wrong, so you get points for that. Congrats.

>PC version was Build Engine.
congrats, next you're supposed to figure out that the PC and console versions are two different games in literally every way except the name.

Take your time buckeroo.

If you are doing it right you only need to backtrack a few rooms in Phazon mines and Phendrana drifts.

You do not understand the fundamentals of Metroid and should go find something more your speed.

>My brother doesn't live in the best timeline...

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 10.07.25 PM.png (965x542, 342K)

See Get off your horse.

Attached: P_20190316_011511.jpg (2457x2254, 1.12M)

So, I just finished and loved this game. But I missed a few creatures scans I couldn't go back to get.
If I go through again and just get those ones, and forget the ones I already have, will it still unlock the second image gallery?
Playing on original GC, by the way.

You gotta get them all in one run

I found nearly all of them just going through the game normally after hearing about them. I never once searched for the room I thought one would be in.

Damn.
I guess I need to play through again. Though I was thinking about doing that with the Trilogy.

>scavenge the map for 12 triforce pieces
you can get hints for the artifacts as soon as you get missiles letting you pick up a good number of them along the way
never understood this complaint

>Wind Waker
>Safe
You do realise how much shit nintendo got when it was announced right? The safe option would've been to make a game exactly like OOT

They managed to make a game that clones oot, uses a half baked art style, has less content than oot, and had the most tedious game play of any zelda.

What do you mean by "clones OOT"? Do you just mean that they didn't completely rework how 3D Zelda works? Also WW is still the best looking Zelda game because of it's "half-baked" art style

Did anyone else get scared when reading about dead pirates on the frigate with severed spinal cords and stuff or was that just me?

Attached: 1508958708731.jpg (322x322, 13K)

DIS NIGGA FINNA BOUTTA GOT DABBED ON

I don't understand the complaints about back tracking. This game is a joy to look at even now, the artifacts are a good excuse to revisit all the beautiful locations.

Magmoor sucks though, nothing happens there except the Plasma beam, although that room is great.

>>forces you to backtrack through the same area at least 5 times during basic progression
Then it isn't backtracking

based

not in the game of the year version sadly

Wow user eternally blown the fuck out.

Yea but the music though
youtube.com/watch?v=K42EmnICD6E

Don't forget the bosses having way too much health and respawning enemies that take too damn long to kill. Also fuck the elemental pirates, switching beams every 10 seconds was a pain in the ass.