why was yoshi's island so great?

Attached: yi.png (240x160, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kMmpRcld1FU
youtube.com/watch?v=bT87fN5FzwM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it was filled with so much soul

Haha.

Better question: why was Yoshi's Story so awful?

>soul
>art style
>level design
>gameplay
do you even have to ask

Attached: yoshi.jpg (1400x1120, 704K)

>tight controls
>great music
>great art style
>casual enough to breeze through but still has an added layer of depth if you try to 100% it (especially during later levels)
It’s just an all-around pleasurable game. Tried the demo of Crafted World recently and man that doesn’t stack up at all.

I played it on the SNES at the dentist's office and lost my shit over it, I didn't want to leave and talked my parents into getting a copy on ebay later. This was probably 98 or 99. I don't think dentist's offices still have video games.

Fun mechanics with a unique art style and plenty of polish.

better question: why does yoshi's island fill some contrarians with rage?

because regardless of the multiple paths, the game is short as hell

I thought it was pretty good

>art style so full of soul it still beats the shit out of most modern 2d platformers

I've never even seen dentist's offices with games before, and I've been going to them since the early 90s as far as I can remember.

If you think it's great now, get a load of this: you're playing the shitty version.

Attached: Powered by SUPER FX2.jpg (660x463, 80K)

SHUT THE FUCK UP, MORTY. SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Attached: stfu.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

There's a good video about it on YouTube (surprisingly), where the guy points out that previous Mario games introduced and explored 1 new idea per level. In Yoshi's Island it's usually 3 new ideas with every level.

How was Yoshi's Story so bad?

the devs left a message in the game that they reeeaaaaally tried hard

GBA is a fine way to play it,
SNES is still better but for an on the go conversion GBA was great, most of the SNES to GBA conversions were

>mario make exists
>no yoshis island pallet
Am I the only one who wants this?

I took my little brother to my old childs dentist, they still have N64s set up.

Unique artstlye.
Catchy as hell music.
Great egg-tossing mechanic.
Great level design.
Even the enemies are charming.

It just sucks that every sequel afterwards has been a disappointment in some way.
Except for maybe Woolly World. I haven't played that one so I can't say.

The game was good and I enjoy it HOWEVER

There are some serious pacing issues and some levels just drag on forever.

Why is Yoshi a complete faggot that makes baby noises now?

>that one level where you just pass over a lava river
>and it keeps going
>and going
>and going
At least the lava is nice to look at.
Also
>any auto scrolling level

yes, i have seen it.

this is one of the most soulest game

Attached: D3E24869-CCBB-4AAB-99E3-B9220EBA1893.jpg (476x106, 10K)

theres a mod that turns the count down into a life bar that gets rid of the annoying baby crying, and overall makes the game a little more difficult since its near impossible to not get the baby back in the normal game.

the music
youtube.com/watch?v=kMmpRcld1FU

As a fan of Yoshi's Island and the demo actually getting me interested in Crafted World, I have to ask, why? Why did you not like Crafted World? It felt like a more advanced Yoshi's Island with the 3D aiming and 2.5D movement. Is it the "artstyle"? I did enjoy Woolly World, but only because of how similar it felt to the original game to me, but after I finished it, I was definitely sick of Yoshi's Island and was planning to swear off the franchise entirely unless they added new gameplay mechanics to make the series more interesting and less stale. It feels like Crafted World is that answer. Am I wrong?

The art style didnt take precedence over the gameplay.

All of the recent year yoshi games are visual masterpieces with the difficulty setting dialed down for babies.

the music
youtube.com/watch?v=bT87fN5FzwM

it wasn't
>only real challenge is collectables
>boss fights are a fucking joke to compensate for it
>focuses more on egg throwing than actual platforming
>flutter jump trivializes platforming that is there
>lack of music variety
>ground pounding posts is tedious
>transformations and powerups add nothing of substance
>momentum is terrible for a game without a run button

How did they fuck this up?

Attached: D35AD7DF-4045-4C34-A3FE-1A23774D884A.jpg (342x311, 42K)

>why was yoshi's island so great?
I thought it was boring, the artstyle was bad, and the gameplay was awfull.

Super Mario bros for the nes is better.

Hell super Mario world and sonic the hedgehog 1 are better platformers with better gameplay and better level design.

The egg mechanic sucks. Just slows the game down and diminishes the platforming with tedious puzzles.

The transformations add nothing in turns of fun.

Its just graphics man, the gameplay is in all honesty awfull.

I was continuesly bored. Couldn't not bother getting past world 2.

Loved it as a kid,

Tried getting back into it this year and well, meh....

Attached: 1552430100633.jpg (300x300, 19K)

>super short, can beat the game in like 45 minutes tops
>even if you clear all the levels, it's still nowhere near as long as Yoshi's Island
>fucking obnoxious Yoshi voice that Nintendo decided to re-use over and over and over and over and over and over and over for the next 20 years
>even retroactively adding it to re-releases of older Yoshi games, fuck off you fucking niggers
>ridiculously easy
>bland level design

but at least the graphics were nice I guess

The GBA version sucks

they nerfed a lot of the harder levels, fucked up the music and sound effects (shitty annoying yoshi voice) and you have to play on a tiny screen with a greatly reduced view distance

It wasn't and it flopped hard. The biggest issue was that they marketed it as smbw2 when it clearly was a spinoff. Kids where fucking pissed on the playground.

>some levels just drag on forever.
>complaining about larger levels giving you that much more game to play

Attached: sodium chloride.png (260x283, 81K)

The problem with modern Yoshi games is that they keep outsourcing them to random studios.

If they just had an in-house developed Yoshi game by one of Nintendo's own star teams, we'd have a new classic.

>8th best selling game on the SNES
>"flopped hard"

Attached: bc.png (205x187, 30K)

you get to be a dinosaur

>levels should take 100 hours to beat

It doesn’t feel like more game, it feels like padding. Especially when you’re just waiting around for the game to finish the level for you.

no he nota dinosaur

miyamoto works the best when he's seething with jealousy

It sold because we all saw "super Mario world 2" nobody liked it and it was returned all the time. It didn't become popular until emulation took off.

boxart kino

Baby swapping takes too long, and they never do anything interesting with the multiple babies. I can only think of one instance where I solved a puzzle intended for a certain baby but used someone else to get it done.

What was wrong with it? I liked it fine as a kid.

Attached: image0-23.jpg (575x404, 25K)

From my experience it just feels like Crafted World intentionally slows things down too much to appeal to the “cozy, comfy” nature of the game. Yoshi feels slow in his movement, his egg reticle feels slow to move around (which you have to use often because a lot of the hidden coins need to be hit with eggs), and you have to meticulously investigate every background object in case it has something secret. The music doesn’t do it for me either, which just feels kind of bland. Then there are oversimplifications to the gameplay, like Yoshi automatically swallowing enemies he grabs instead of letting you decide to spit them back out of not. It just feels like Yoshi on easy mode, and there’s already an even EASIER mode on top of that.

Not saying it’s a terrible game, but it definitely feels like the intent from the devs is that it’s a “turn your brain off” kind of experience. Although Yoshi’s Island wasn’t an extremely difficult game, the pace of the game was much faster and better at keeping you engaged.

It's the best game ever made.

I don't think I quite agree but it's absolutely a worthwhile pick

its one of them

It had more going for it than just being cutesy shit on top of having a non trash tier soundtrack

Attached: 1548682050196.jpg (640x640, 112K)