Dwarf Fortress goes to Steam with graphics

Is it good? Never really had a thing for roguelikes.

Attached: 1552538118712.png (1440x1585, 1015K)

Other urls found in this thread:

timdenee.com/bronzemurder
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Stories/Bronzemurder
store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/
pastebin.com/9UWaQHAh
store.steampowered.com/curator/26964680-Shitlisting-Service
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0naNSnNOjERRGJjbkDNtcMa
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are those RPG Maker assets??

Is there multiplayer?

Recently, I discovered something wonderful: merperson bones. Merperson skull totems, at base quality, are worth 500- which means that a masterful one would be worth 6000. When you're living next to a good-aligned ocean, merpeople are a renewable resource: the only problem is catching the darned things. Thus far, I've only recovered the corpses of beached merpeople who drowned on shore. But I read about how people made special chambers:
>they'd fill with water to suck in merpeople
>then they would chain breeding pairs to the floor so when they had children, they'd stay anchored
>meanwhile the offspring were then sucked into a "drowning" chamber that would be drained of water so the merchildren would die and their bones could be harvested
All of this will be graphic now. Can't wait!

Attached: feelsgoodman.png (1480x832, 66K)

how much cock can op take up his asshole

>release date: Time is subjective
so its going to come out about the same time as star citizen?

It's very good.

timdenee.com/bronzemurder

>It's on steam
>Can't download

Well shit. It's been a long time since I played dorf fort and I kind of have the itch. I want to try the steam version out. Screw you, OP.

>Check the community
>See this

kek

Attached: fvv0j3I.png (652x59, 18K)

Well if you weren't so retarded you would have opened the thread and discovered it was a joke. A joke that nevertheless managed to bait retards like you.

its ok im probably going to get it to give toady some cancer shekels

Oh great. Its gonna get ruined by n*rmalfags

Buying copies for all my friends

How do you know he was baited? All he said was kek.

>Never really had a thing for roguelikes.

Attached: 1521803775792.gif (250x251, 999K)

I want to be disgusted, but thats pretty fuckin creative. Gonna be real excited to try out the fort bit of the game when it comes out on steam.
Only played the adventure mode so far, killing bandits that took over a human hamlet like a Sam Fisher wolfman currently.
Why does tearing tendons and nerves in the neck not just outright paralyze people in this game?

Why all of those "EPIC" and fantastic stories that dwarf fortress supposedly allow you to experience revolve around the same scheme?
>there was a fortress and it was doing good
>suddenly some random strong monster appeared
>everyone was killed by it
And you guys are so excited about that? Everyone who plays it says that stories and randomness is the main feature, but all I see is the same kind of stories, nothing really interesting.
And to get all this you have to endure horrible interface which is basically patchwork clusterfuck with key bindings that make no sense, and decypher ANSI graphics that, while ok for roguelike, does not fit this kind of complex strategy game. And the author is autistic fuck not wanting to change anything to make his game more appealing.
Why would anyone play that, beside for false feeling of elitism for mastering the horrible controls and graphics? To make things even worse the DF community is terrible and very unfriendly. They act so defensive and look down on anyone who didn't invest 1000+ hours to master the UI like them. But they have to rationalize this waste of time, I guess.

Attached: timdenee_bronzemurder_3.jpg (1000x709, 109K)

That tileset looks good

It's fun. Takes like three hours to master the interface, it just looks shitty. You'll have it figured out after one decent play session.

i played df in 2011 and can tell you few things: 1. ui actually works when you learn it 2. losing is actually fun and gives you a relief because you learn things all the time and it means now you can build a new, better fort. most importantly losing doesn't feel unfair. YOU dig too deep, YOU ignored the possibility of goblin invasion and so on. in rimworld, for example, you get assfucked by pure rng.

holy fuckin based

Rimworld is about mitigating the effects of an inevitable resource draining incident and preparing for it, DF hands you a shovel you will eventually use to dig your own grave but you can get fucked over with RNG if you aren’t careful/inexperienced.

Zoomers are scum

>then they would chain breeding pairs to the floor so when they had children, they'd stay anchored
>meanwhile the offspring were then sucked into a "drowning" chamber that would be drained of water so the merchildren would die and their bones could be harvested
What?

Attached: eOHse.jpg (480x480, 103K)

rimworld is about fucktarded combat revolving around building stupid tunnels with traps and having your chad thunderslayer killed by a drooling tribal nigger because rng said so. good thing about df is that your dorfs are actually pretty competent on average so you don't have your ass explode when some fucking lvl1 crook nails your best guy in best armor with best weapon like it's fucking nothing

Toady nerfed the merpeople bones after learning about this.
And yeah that's pretty creative.

How do the new cheesy graphics affect gameplay? How different is it to playing the free version with the ASCII art?
Can you still do EVERYTHING there is to do in the OG but now with real-time animations? Or are the mechanics neutered in favor of these sprites and animations and whatever

Are elephant still massive cunts?

Giant Elephants

Its just a pay2use tileset ya tard

I thought he was pretty clear about what happened. Have you not played this game?

The full history of your pic is in: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Stories/Bronzemurder

There's a lot of things wrong with that story, when a Forgotten Beast appears the first thing they do is run straight to kill your dwarves, this monster would never "rest" on the top of the pump. I hate to say that but that story was told in a very exaggerated RP manner. Most DF stories are based on things that actually never happened or just told in a "epic" manner just like this one.
Also, it's very common to lose an entire fort with 5+ hours of progress because of stupid shit like werebeasts or sieges.

Attached: 1550356847908.jpg (633x973, 465K)

If you like stuff like this and Boatmuredered I recommend Bravemule, it has a lot of art and an interesting story.

Attached: artu5.jpg (700x470, 90K)

>Catch merpeople
>Chain them up in an underwater room
>They have babies
>The babies get sucked away
>Harvest baby merfolk bones and sell them for lots of money.

I swear only industrialised people harvesting machines like this, created by PLAYERS are found in Dwarf Fortress. Blows my mind.

FB's and other megabeasts can get bugged out when trying to destroy buildings, that's probably what happened.

Decent dorfs shouldn't think too much about that

because the major nerves in the neck are literally your spine

The game is really good but starting up is quite rough.

So will Titans n FBs have random/different sprites?

Some "LP's" take liberties for the sake of storytelling, which is fine. Bravemule is one of my favorites and a lot of stuff in it is different.

So it's pretty much just buying a tileset for DF?

Will lava rivers be full with asshole crabs?

So is there even a way to get this game on steam? I can't even search for it on the store.

yes with improves sounds and UI aswell to draw in the normies

>I can't even search for it on the store.
Huh?
store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/

Attached: dorfs.png (496x128, 25K)

Based retard kun.

>Get in late to the Dorf Fort party
>Didn't realize how much people exaggerate their stories like this
>Have a couple stories I told that were honest to god true in every detail
>Always get claimed that it's all exaggerated

Hurts a little.

Attached: Whelp.gif (250x188, 2.4M)

Plenty of the reasons why some shit went down in stories is because of the game fucking up one way or another. But if it makes you feel better, there once was a fort of mine where I separated all the children from the adults because I didn't want them to become friends, then have one of the little fucks die and drive the fort into a self-destructive tantrum spiral.

Of course it all went to shit when a skinless bat flew in from the waterway to the well, spat webs and bashed the skulls in of all but one soldier, who finally killed the damn thing, but at that point it was too late. That fort tore itself apart, and all the kids who lost their parents either went crazy or berserk. Only one kid made it out of that enclosure sane, she killed like ten of the berserk kids by her bare hands and was technically the most talented soldier in the fort, what with all the rest being dead.

Lesson of the story: Don't leave your fucking waterways open to the caverns.

Thanks for the link.

Here's all I was getting.

Attached: file.png (1003x917, 379K)

>take first combat death 5 years in
>didn't realize how attached you get to the little bastards
I miss you Likot.

>41 titles (including DWARF FORTRESS UNDERLINED) have been excluded

Attached: Dwarf Fortress HD.gif (400x217, 1.38M)

>preferences

Attached: 1509065465486.jpg (666x666, 167K)

>41 titles (including Dwarf Fortress) have been excluded based on your preferences.
user...

Attached: joey3.png (301x358, 174K)

I keep seeing "MUH infinite content" and all the stories of this game but how long until its just the same few cycles of events being repeated? Surely a game that old doesn't stay fresh long. It can't be THAT free form

>no access to source code

PSA these fuckers are remaking Stonesense and selling it. This is a nothingburger.

That's what everyone's been trying to say. This is just to obtain normiebucks so they can afford to not die from a health condition in America

Reminder to read ROOMCARNAGE

Attached: 1470175723221.jpg (640x640, 35K)

The thing with DF that people that don't play it don't get is that it's actually a really easy game. Once you get over the learning curve, which doesn't take as long as you think, there's basically no reason to ever lose a fort if you don't want to. If all you want is to keep a small handful of dwarves alive indefinitely you can do that with very little chance of anything going wrong, but that's also boring as fuck.
It's the things going wrong that make the game interesting, and taking risks and fucking with shit is what makes things go wrong, so most of the cool stories about the game are
>So I was trying to do this thing
>but I forgot to X
>and then an invasion/forgotten beast/wereYs/fun etc happened
>so I Z
>but @#$
>and then everyone died
And that's much more interesting than
>I embarked, made a farm, set up booze, walled off the outside world and let the game idle

Some things can happen but they are extremely ineffective like those Merperson skull totems in .
First, because you can't do anything with totems, they are just used as a trading goods, dwarves and traders don't give a single fuck if a totem is made of merpersons or sheeps.
Also, you can easily make trading goods with the same value with a easy to gather material like glass. A exceptional green glass serrated disc worth around 10000+ and they are very easy to build.
Fuck man, I browse /dfg/ (dwarf fortress general) on /vg/ for years and I've never seen someone bothering with totems because they are just useless and too time consuming to even bother with it.

Attached: merperson.jpg (412x599, 65K)

Also Toady inevitably is getting a cut from this, which is why he endorsed it. We need a big feature update because its been a long, long time.

>with graphics
Who gives a shit? You were able to install tilesets before as well.

Glass breaks the game so damn hard
>sand is literally infinite
>magma allows infinite use of said sand
>you can decorate with glass
>fuck that you can do pretty much anything with glass that isn't normal weapons and armor

The game doesn't have any sort of storyline, it's just "X does Y" and that's it, it can potentially create massive chain of events in the right condition. That said most of time events are just individual case with no repercussion.

This.
Glass discs can also be used in weapon traps, so there's no reason to not build the entire fort around them if sand is available.
The only downside is that creatures killed by slicing create lots of blood and body parts, dropping the FPS.

Clearly magma is the solution to your problem.

Yeah, I'm also not buying any.

There's just lots to learn, your forts rise and fall. There's a nice little selection of wildlife levels, biomes, evilness levels, blah blah. They all just tweak how your fort is run and what your focus is. There's always different ways you might want to build your fort and different things to focus on. If you can get immersed in it, each fort has their own interesting little story of trials and tribulations and challenges to overcome.

No Man's Sky has INFINITE CONTENT, but after long each planet looks more or less the same. Dorf Fort just has enough things in it that it throws at you that each fort is different enough. Pretty much you play to see how the fort fails. It's a very strange game but if you can get into it, it's pretty easy to lose hundreds of hours in it. Doubly so if you actually want to start doing mega projects.

It's just as interesting as you make it. If you always build your fort in a resource plentiful, safe area you'll get burnt out a couple forts past when you get a good gasp on the game. I'm usually not too into these INFINITE CONTENT games but I do go on an intense dorf fort binge once or twice a year and I still always learn new things and new practices each fort. I've not really felt like it's just the same fort over and over, you know? I don't know. Your mileage may vary. It's free. If you've got a weekend to burn try to dig in. Couldn't hurt.

Glass is time consuming

Magma is the solution for everything since unfortunately leveling the entire in-game map into hell is not possible in human lifetime.

If you build something like this you will be swimming in glass crafts in no time. It's a magma glass furnace near a yellow sand tile, sand tiles are an infinite source of sand btw.

Attached: blessed image.png (122x140, 1K)

Oh, you’re bad. That’s unfortunate for you.

I never got into DF, but you guys have the best stories, right up there with the EVE guys

DF is the epitome of "what could go wrong" and "because I can" situations

God damn is it long, but so far a good read. Thanks user

So what tileset should I use?
Any good ones?

>have an blind cave ogre attack fort in caverns

>he climbs through 51 floors on stairs all the way towards my dining room

>attacks the entire squad that was on break instead of sparring

>in the mist of this kills the mayor/captain of the guard who was also friends with the broker

>let the broker get into the fight by having her take a spot in the military

>she goes straight to towards the thing & stop's dead in her tracks for a solid few secs when she sees her dead friends body

>cuts off their head with their first attack

always remembered that made a gold slab for em when everything calmed down after

Attached: The Lanturn of Manors.png (797x598, 44K)

Most people will tell you to use an ASCII based one and they'd be right, Taffer is personal favorite, but if that's not what you want, try GemSet

>Can't even use a mouse

Nice PC game

Attached: 1447079897712.png (287x288, 109K)

>ROOMCARNAGE
>Besides, an active volcano comprised entirely of ice and coated in crimson snowdrifts of frozen gore?
>Fucking metal.
My thoughts exactly

>falseflagging

You could use a mouse, but KB only is comfy.
>tfw DF got me used to using the pgup and pgdn keys on everything

Attached: 1527107042962.jpg (640x509, 132K)

Whichever one makes the most "immersive" feeling for you user

Attached: Scrolls & Quires.png (795x597, 40K)

isn't there a similar kind of thing in minecraft?

>that art style
>made by "Toady"
>no credit to the original

Blatant ripoff of Toby's work. Always go with the original.

Attached: tumblr_i4a9nj4673er3727285f4gg0t5373_171.png (500x500, 163K)

No redstone can't be used to the same extent,years back some gradeschooler made a mini calculator though

Maybe in the next two years the next update is supposed to be a massive change with you being able to start with a full party of adventures & bring along animal friends/partners like a dog or horse that you can ride along with a "D&D" lite combat mode

>Never even heard of this RoomCarnage
>tfw the part where the zombie dog's skin attacks
>tfw the combat log

God, dorf fort is so fucking ridiculous.
Thanks man, now I know what game I'm going to waste my weekend on

Attached: 1492545564704.png (846x900, 448K)

OH NONONONONONONONONONONO

Attached: 1552593635555.png (1920x1080, 651K)

the sprites themselves looks fine,it's the 3-D nature of the game itself that clashes with the art-style

the edge of the grass makes no sense

isn't that the stone wall?

Attached: Omignersnompent.png (1046x802, 107K)

he means the ramps, I think.
they don't look great but I've seen worse

so any news about the price? 10 or 15 bucks would probably be fine and would sell well.

"Everything was fine and nothing bad happened ever" doesn't make for a good story, retard.

but isnt that great? the autists can play for free and the other ones can play the fancy stuff for money but in the end we will get more DF storys

>the fucking water buffalo
Well guess I'm reading all of this for the next 7 hours.

20? cant we just call medicare and pay his brothers health insurance so he can release the game for free?

Gnomoria looks 10 times better.

then post a fucking screenshot you lazy cunt

just installed. wish me luck :^)

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (1920x1040, 561K)

STRIKE THE EARTH!

If you are settling near an ocean, just shit out serrated glass disks. Sand is an infinite resource

>those slopes
>no depth to the puddle
guess I am sticking with Pheobus

Uhhh guys

Attached: Kobold taking over gobin pits.png (794x225, 13K)

>Been a DF fan for years
>Toady is finally getting more of the attention he so rightfully deserves.

DF is one of my all time favorites lads. I hope you give it a couple hours and some study time on the side. For the 5 hours (tops) of research you do, there's infinite hours of playtime ahead. The only limit is your imagination. Just remember to take breaks. If you can't think of anything new to do, or feel like the game is becoming work, come back to it when you feel like it. Don't just let time pass in a fortress unless you're waiting for something to get done before you can move on with your plan.

Attached: 1527543408605.gif (360x238, 1.43M)

In Minecraft you could create dark chambers of certain dimensions or utilize the monster spawning blocks and have water lead them to a lava block while the water moved the items to your safe chamber. They're called mob grinders and it's a staple of non-creative mode playstyle. Good way to make TNT.

I sort of want to play this game. It's free, right

imo eve ain't got shit on DF

>tfw too brainlet to play df

Attached: oEJctZZ.jpg (499x635, 76K)

How do you do an expedition in this game, I heard that was a feature added in 0.44

I'm playing Odd Realms because I am a plebian.

Attached: 1504085643292.png (500x352, 274K)

>41 titles (Including Dwarf Fortress) have been excluded
Gee, I wonder why Dwarf Fortress didn't show up

Why does grass grow on the walls?

pastebin.com/9UWaQHAh

didn't you hear it's a shit game? a steam curator said so

>steam curators

Attached: 1524028576613.png (936x368, 282K)

>20? cant we just call medicare and pay his brothers health insurance so he can release the game for free?
The game has been free for a decade, just donate 15 bucks and download it dumbass, you only miss out on a garbage tileset

it's not that hard it'll get easier once your actually playing user

Attached: 200 Years.png (1366x768, 37K)

Well, they're not actually incorrect points, mostly
It's just that they're basically insignificant compared to how much the game offers that nothing else does, and fixing them is a pretty low priority compared to the infinite list of other shit that would improve the game and should be left until it is closer to feature complete, even if that isn't for another decade or two

There's a whole section on teaching you how to play the game, you should look it up.

Hello, I'm the dev of an indie game that plays like DF, but more casualized and progressive called "Odd Realms".
It's currently in Early Access, but I'm getting there. Anyone want a free steam key?

Not with UI like this.
It may have graphics, but normies totally won't bother learning how to play.
Gotta admit - seeing Dorf Fort on Steam is pretty surreal.

Are you the game?

>mess around with modding DF around the time growing hair is implemented
>decide I want to make furry creatures with growing fur
>it works and they all style their fur into beautiful braids
>DF modding IRC suggests I turn the fur into fire
>letskeepgoing.jpg
>it works, the fire is static until someone or something hits the fur, at which point it violently explodes
>replace their blood with alcohol and turn them into the equivalent of rabbits

At that point my world got infested with walking landmines. Lining my entrance with them on chains was the best as goblins would smack their shit and immediately be engulfed in flames.

GabeN is really desperate huh

Stopped playing Dwarf Fortress when Toady went all dramafag about Dwarf Therapist

If you use flour 1 masterwork roast will buy out an entire caravan.

What did he say? Everyone knows the game impossible without he rapist.

I used to play it a lot back in the day, but then there was an update that broke a lot of shit and I stopped playing. It's all been fixed since, I've been told, but I never bothered to pick the game back up.

I guess this version's profit is going towards someone's cancer treatments? I might snag it.

>it is real
>goes to Steam
>not to Switch

What the fuck is the Toad thinking?

is it going to be free?

I really just want UI that’s managable. I already have the keybindings for three submarine sims, two flight sims, and a tank simulator memorized and I’m afraid any more will break me.

No, they need to pay their medical bills.

>someones

it's actually his brothers m8

Maybe it's my chance to play this meme game

Isn't this game already freeware

Has he updated the game since last year?

This makes a lot more sense than "the entire story was made up to make DF look cool".

Is glass a superior way of making money than spiked ball traps?

yes, hes launching it on steam with graphics for money while still keeping the ascii version on his website, who's modeable.
He's just doing it for his brother's cancer treatment

can you 100% confirm to me that this will be the SAME game but with graphics?

i dont want to buy a shitty inferior version

I'd like one if you're actually legit, been looking at that game.

It's a fucking tileset.

Yes it's just a "pack" with features that have been done by modder's for years

>what is stonesense & tilesets

Looks fine. What's the issue?

Why didn't you just post the page?

store.steampowered.com/curator/26964680-Shitlisting-Service

its a slope

Sure. [email protected]

The features the new graphics set will have are not available right now like visible equipment and different ramps, Toady is programming it in.

>CoQ is shit listed
Triggered.

>when Toady went all dramafag about Dwarf Therapist

Oh yeah? What did he have to say about it?

I should mention that the free and steam versions will stay identical code-wise so modders will be able to make use of the new graphics features, the difference is that the steam version will come with the premium graphics set.

>Literally le epik 4channer curator

Holy shit. I guess his job is easy, just copy paste every thread on Yea Forums to his page and call it good.

So does that mean I can shit out serrated glass disks if I can get a industry up and running, regardless of what those fucking faggot traders think of me when I trade in only disks?

guys
how do i start
the dorf fort

Wait, someone clarify this shit. Its just a tileset and we can't use therapist?

read wiki
plump helmets
individual rooms for dwarfs I think are good starting tips, I did a long hallway with a bunch of rooms that are 4x4 with 1 door a bed and a chest/trunk/dresser or whatever

congrats, i will now play your game
time to watch 4 hours of tutorials on youtube so i can understand how to not die

It's the same game so everything should work the same, Steam doesn't have any weird file protection.

Someone should've told his brother to not play the game too much, now look where he's at

Attached: tumblr_nzf18hjnZ51r5kws5o1_1280.jpg (1280x868, 173K)

click dwarf fortress.exe
choose Create New World!
make a Small World with Frequent Minerals
while its generating read up

>Those steam curators that are just memes.

I'm getting really tired of seeing that "Commander Shepard" recommended games.

Attached: 1498383871966.jpg (911x848, 60K)

yikes that's all you have to say user? user brings up a few good points and it seems you have run out of things to say back. Enjoy your df for babs

>Toady caved in and will start doing basic UX improvements that have been fucking everyone over including hardcore players since the beginning of time
Oh no how terrible...

They don't.
It's just normal DF bundled with an """official""" tileset and a couple of extra seasonal .ogg songs for different seasons.

It isn't a roguelike, it is its own genre. Best way I can describe it is an autism level chaos simulator.
This is a game where the guy programmed cats getting drunk from licking the alcohol off themselves when they are in the mess hall. He also forgot about it so when he actually implemented intoxication all the cats got extremely drunk, started vomiting everywhere, then dying. He made each cleaning equivalent to the cat drinking a whole beer. It was hilarious.
Other games that are in this genre are Rimworld and Prison architect. Rimworld is quite good, but Dwarf Fortress stands alone. No one can touch what that game has.

Headshoots and it's sequel Syrupleaf are both fucking amazing too.

Play both user!

You know you can ignore them, right?

>Combat is massively RNG
Bungas not knowing how to trap

It has sound effects too but Toady said they were "minimal", my guess is that it's for events like caravans arriving and such rather than sound effects for fighting and other common stuff.

It's the magic of simplistic visual interface.

Put anyone behind a screen and tell them the people are just keyboard characters and you've created a psychopath.

The amount of autism to have the patience to play this game must be insane.

I salute you all poor souls who have nothing better to do.

Nice.

It's not THAT complex, it's just a bit obtuse but things come in naturally once you learn the basics.

Its honestly not that hard. Once you get used to it, it's like in of like playing the sims, only you have 60+ characters that you can't control, and in the end you experience a great fun and start over.

Does it have controller support? Need my controller or I cannot enjoy games.

Why the FUCK can't I download it. I've been just launching DF steam with add game for years now. Fuck my life.

No, you're fucked.

lol sure

Attached: 1552050453297.jpg (332x1024, 22K)

In the 2b2t server people enslaved newfags to mine obsidian for a giant obsidian wall from bedrock to build limit at about 1000 blocks out from 0,0 in all directions

Not only that, he keeps bitching about the RNG fucking you over. It can go in your favor as well, to great comedic effect.
A forbidden beast was coming into an early fort of mine once and I didn't prepare anything shield my fort. I mobilized a whole army in a panic and sent them down, and then they all just suddenly cancelled the order.
Turns out, the beast was killed by a lucky strike from a clothier who was holding a pick down in the mine, the guy went straight for the head and bruised the brain. He came out of the altercation unscathed.

Attached: 1384577152388.jpg (720x720, 119K)

Damn, these 6 points completely unravel the hundreds upon hundreds of other features that make the game great

I hate Dwarf Fortress now.

>making a pastebin of your shitty opinions that no one replied to in the other thread

Is there ever a reason to play in large worlds?

this game is unplayable

Attached: 1499901490813.png (396x385, 208K)

>being this incapable of immersion

>wojakposter is too retarded to play a basic base builder game

buildings easy. the hard part comes when you have things set up and dont know whats next

Attached: 02955923957842696.png (709x321, 168K)

Stick to rimworld until you feel ready to graduate. Not even trying to be rude.

Not a roguelike.
Ever play terrafirmacraft? that's closer to it than a roguelike

>I hate to say that but that story was told in a very exaggerated RP manner.
People do this even worse with CK2. I've read the dumbest, le epic tales that 99% certain never happened. Why would anyone lie about a game they played.

>he didn't play adventure mode
It's pretty unique and interesting since the mechanics and world gen are mostly designed for fortress stuff, it really feels like you're an individual in this simulated world that doesn't particularly care about you.

Can you control a human town that mainly earns profit through adventurers/monster killing and as such never 'digs too deep'? I've never really cared about dorfs as a race, but I'd be down basically making Goburin Srayer the township at release. Even pay full price, which is more than I can say i've done for OverpricedWorld.

>or he doesn't and he ends up fleecing potentially thousands of casuals who only know DF from le epic reddit stories

it really is a win either way

>tumblr filename
>that image quality

Attached: 1545010323556.jpg (520x600, 96K)

I will without shame admit I couldn't get into Dwarf Fortress in it's free form. I need graphics; even basic ones. I'll even pay a fee if it isn't trying to take me for a moron.

You can install a tileset right now for free.

Google images isn't picky and neither am I.

No graphics are the best part. The game is beautiful entirely plain. Tilesets ruin the entire experience.

I believe I tried a few years back, but it wan't the same as in the preview screens on Steam at the moment, and I'm willing to part with a take outs worth of cash for it.

yes, with metals turned up high enough, if the top layer is a "sedimentary layer" you will have everything you need to produce steel along with nearly endless amounts of gold/silver/copper without digging too far.

You can harvest corpses monster slayers kill and butcher them for meat/hides/bones to make stuff from but this requires micro management which can be extremely random due to what can appear in the caverns

You can build surface towns and fortress (or aboveground "towns") can adopt monster slayers who wander there to kill shit. I'm not sure if you can build your entire economy around it, but I'm sure someone has tried.

Check out youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0naNSnNOjERRGJjbkDNtcMa
it's someone building his fortress around the idea of monster hunting, although it's not their primary function

>about to talk shit about it being a money grab and it being a clone of already existing tile mods
>it's for his brother's cancer treatment
uhhh

complain anyway

What's a tileset with similar or superior quality to this?

Thnaks. I mean, sure, no need to be 100% focused (no real economy is) but as long as the theme can exist and that eventual bullshit 'ending' can be avoided, count me in.

It's not like digging too deep has to be an ending, there are methods to just keep killing the clowns.

They're digging into a mountain, silly.

I wouldn't now. My longest playthrough was making a few tunnels into a hill. I just want to make a generic jrpg town and see how long I can keep/make it successful.

If there wasn't a hideous tileset ruining everything you'd have understood what you were looking at. But now you don't. Well done tileset users. Well done. What's next? Mouse support? BLARGH!

it's a ramp

Is... is this some deep and newly discovered level of elitist/autism that few ever get to see? I feel like I'm watching a nature show.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, there are people legitimately mad that more people will play DF now even though Toady said he's not changing the game at all.

Why do retards put up their games on Steam months before it's out?
By the time it's released all my hype is gone and I don't feel like buying it anymore.

>find surface sand
>chop down all trees
>make large serrated green glass discs and trade for anything you need
Not really that hard if you can live with waiting for caravans.

>still no boats
>enemies can't tunnel or break down castle walls
Yeah, that's a hard yikes for me.

Attached: is this dude serious.png (231x211, 4K)

>seething rimworld cuck

DF:vidya::Fenoxo games:porn

They're serviceable
duno why people think in order for the game to have graphics they have to look amazing
game wasn't made to really function perfectly graphics wise it's why it's been ASCII for so long

What's a good, square ASCII tileset?

The only thing that was stopping me from playing Dwarf Fortress was Ascii shit so I'm pleased I finally get to enjoy it

nu-Yea Forums is so fucking garbage holy shit zoomer trash ruin everything

Babies want their secret club and part of their personality rests on the fact they learned an incredibly hard to get into game and now it's going to be a little more approachable.

Who are you quoting?

>people complaining about the tileset even though it's optional
>people saying that they can finally play the game because it finally has a tileset
Where the fuck do these people come from?

>It's real

Attached: 1508918616413.gif (260x195, 653K)

>hard to get into
Play the game for a single day without smoking anything. You have to be a barely functioning retard to actually believe the drivel you're typing.

Posers and zoomers

>it's not even hard dude
yeah we get it man you're so cool
I've played the game but you'd have to be a turbo autist to not understand why people are put off or find it hard to get into in this day and age of video games.

anikki is my favorite, pair it with a good pastel / warm color scheme

>why people are put off or find it hard to get into
no one cares about these people

Tryhard fakers and total scrubs

we are on Yea Forums, after all.

>look at the picture thinking that fortress was build higher than grass due to look of slopes
>but that makes entrance look retarded
>actually it's just build into slope

Who i am quoting?

patrician taste

Attached: 1544471357261.jpg (786x786, 320K)

people who need money for american health care do

pretty sprites is not going to make it easier for those people

maybe it'll give them the kick in the butt they need to actually learn but yeah there's going to be a lot of refunders probably.
Still I think their attempts will be successful

>Is it good?
it's not even out yet faggot

>On the 20th of Slate, Mid-Spring, disaster strikes.
>Some migrants have arrived.

This is glorious, thank you.

probably most of the people buying are just going to do it because of the medical situation

DF isn't hard, it is just complex.
In a way, it is one of the games that has achieved that Holy Grail of game design: "Easy to learn, hard to master".

Being a new player, all you need to make a self sustaining, functional fortress is an underground space dug out, a universal stockpile, a plump helmet farm, a still, some bedding, and that is it. And all it takes is learning task designation, farms, permitted jobs, workshops, stockpiles etc

With just that, you can keep a fortress going for a long while, before the inevitable raids, tantrum spirals or whatever. You learn the other systems just by playing and having DFWiki open.

Eventually, you will have to learn tge military and trade system.
But there are some very complex systems in the game that you don't even need to use. Like the justice system. I've built many successful forts where I just haven't even bothered with the justic system. Same goes for machinery, or animal domestication.

I'd be more inclined to go through the the tutorial on the wiki if the UI was a little easier to handle. I'll be getting the Steam version on the off chance it also has a better mouse UI along with a fancy tileset.

>Looking at tilesets, always just picked something random from LNP
>While waiting for ascii tilesets, see all these pastel colors

Legitimately hype. I've never actually took time to tweak these things and some of these look so fucking nice.

Attached: 1374879736628.jpg (380x360, 87K)

I've enjoyed playing DF a lot, it's a game I always like to comeback... but I still haven't learned how to deal with aquifers. I remember trying something from a tutorial once and it didn't work. From then on I just disable them in the world creator.

That's dumb, there have been graphic packs since always. I must have hundreds of hours in the game and I've never dealt with "Ascii shit"

After the fighting system was revamped and people's skulls were reinforced I managed to have a very hilarious death where I spent HOURS in game being beaten until they finally snapped my neck.

How many years before the steam version is even released? When toady gets another medical scare right?

time is subjective

>WoW Classic
>Halo: MCC
>Dwarf Fortress
is this the year of PC bros?

Two of those are cancer that destroyed their respective genres.

>justice system
Build some small rooms, put a cage in them and enable for justice use, appoint a hammerer, convict someone when a crime is committed. That's it.

Unless you're playing for tantrums it's good to have quality chains and food and booze and so forth in your jail cells.

Dwarves will bring food/beer to prisoners. You can put nice things for them to look at if you want.

how much did adventure mode change in the last 10 years?

This is just a paid tileset /w music and steam workshop integration

The free version still has everything. The devs said they only did this because they can't afford their medical bills and don't wanna die

So you guys are probably better than me at dorf fort.

I've struck a cavern. My staircase is coming straight down through the ceiling. How do I block this off? Do I take the last layer of stairs, remove stairs, and build walls where they use to be?

DF's biggest needs are a modern icon-based based interface and actual graphics. If you combined that with a tutorial fort (something kinda like the wiki tutorial, except in-game), it'd make the game far more intuitive.

For example, you could have 4-5 icons arranged in a semi-circle in the lower right for actions and and another five or so in the top right for management. In the lower right hand area, there's an icon that says "labor" when hovered over, with a picture of a dwarf swinging a pickax. In there, the stockpile icon is a circle that's divided into three: trash, ores, and furniture. When you click on it, it opens the full menu. Having an entire menu system along those lines would make things much easier to navigate and remember, not to mention just making the game look better. Of course, the hotkeys would still be available for people who've got the hang of things and want to speed things along.

something like that. my usual MO would be
>build a new set of stairs from the last non-cavern layer to the layer above it - just a down stair on the lower level, not an up/down stair
>remove the stairs/channel out the old stair tile(s) in question
>build floor (or wall) where they used to be
just make sure you do that first step otherwise dwarves will get stuck down there and might not be able to access the building materials necessary for the construction

>just a down stair on the lower level
meant "just an up stair," hopefully that was obvious despite my retardation

That was kind of my first thought, I just wasn't sure where to put the stairs to keep dwarves from getting stuck. Thanks a million.

Those ramps looks so much better from the initial reveal. I still don't like it much but at least I understand which direction they go.

I think much bigger issues are things like FPS death, forbidden doors, dwarves dodging through walls and so on.
Pretty graphics don't help that much when the ingame FPS is less than 10.

Attached: original.png (1920x1080, 731K)

What tileset/colors is that?

DF stories take place in an unhinged high fantasy setting, but the bugs add a degree of absurdity to the stuff that happens in a regular fortress.
>swimming is a skill that determines how fast an entity in the water is
>carp are swimming constantly, strength training all their lives
>fisher dwarves are killed by the buffest chad carp to ever exist
etc etc

Yes, I'm planning on building a proper system after 2 years of using a bloody APU/iGPU
Really lookin forward to Halo 3 on PC

No, RPG Maker looks much worse since XP. I still don't know why Enterbrain/Kadokawa went with the cutesy GBA/DS style when most of the popular games included gore and/or horror. ,
Many of the good Maker games are still made with the 2000 and 2003 Maker, this is particulary true for JP games. Also, there's the Wolf Maker which is free and a better RPG Maker. Many of the good JP Maker games are made with the Wolf Maker.

Good luck user!

>embark on haunted biome
>manage to kill a carp
>it gets back up as a zombie carp, no longer constrained by water
Don't embark on haunted biomes kids

>embark on terrifying biome
>2x2 area
>all dwarves die in 30 seconds because of an undead giant mosquito

There should be a dryness/wetness mechanic in this game and given the amount of detail I'm surprised there isnt
Like if a dwarf wades in 1 depth water, their shoes get wet, if they wade in 2 depth, their pants get wet etc
and then the wetter the dwarf is the more susceptible they are to frostbite in winter

>hey that tile set looks pretty god maybe-
>still no mouse support

wew fucking lad

Who is this "Four Chan"?

the temperature and even light mechanics are incredibly threadbare too, so don't hold your breath

Obviously I'm talking more from a feature standpoint than a performance standpoint. It sounds like DF needs to be remade from the ground up with efficient, easy-to-follow code.

user which tilesets are you actually familiar with?

None, I haven't touched this game since 40d and I played on default tileset back then. I've been experimenting with the most recent release but haven't found anything I liked so far. I liked Wanderlust's palettes but not the tileset itself.

Stop fucking posting.

bumb

dumb

It's the story you tell as you play. It's fun and you are not.