Why is the stealth genre dead, Yea Forums

Why is the stealth genre dead, Yea Forums

Attached: That_is_Diana_Burnwood_handler_at_the_ICA_and_top_intelligence_acquisition_expert.png (1280x1280, 743K)

Other urls found in this thread:

frontlinejp.net/2019/03/03/review-left-alive/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's not? Hitman games are doing great.

MGS dying didn't help it stay mainstream though.

because its the most boring type of gameplay you can have in a 3d space

It's the only stealth franchise right now and it's not really true stealth unless you go SASO on everything

Looks plenty alive to me
frontlinejp.net/2019/03/03/review-left-alive/

>survival action
>stealth
I was thinking more in the direction of the original Thief

Shitty business models
I would've purchased HITMAN™ 2 if not for those stupid elusive targets
I'm not buying a game where your can permanently miss out on content

Stealth is a dying breed but not a dead genre. We have like 2 gems worth holding on to. Bethesda killed Thief, Splinter Cell used to be alright then he became David Grohl Neeson and people seem to think that quick-time events are equivalent to gameplay. Sure I love a good animation but let me actually do shit as well.

Dishonored is alright. Short as fuck and gets old quick. People need to get their shit in gear, work on good AI, contextual logic for detection and just throw it at whatever works. It's more the moment and moments that get me: A good stealth game is one that you can just run through guns blazing or not.

A bad stealth game punishes you for not being binary. What's the fucking point in playing.

Attached: 1511740194028.jpg (959x876, 91K)

Good stealth games are just hard to find.

This. Then again, Pirate it. I did.

It's a nice reminiscence to when Hitman was good but lets just say this: It should stop trying to have so much of an in-depth story and just be a game.

Yeah I think not being able to replay Elusives is really retarded but the game in general is the best since Blood Money imo.

That's not really a good thing, I feel blood money and 2 even if less so were the last real hitman games.

Absolution sucked dick lel. Let me just use my clone xray vision. Oh is that where you laid the patrol paths? Just bad.

>Bethesda killed Thief

No that was Square Enix, who published Thief 2014 which, while not a terrible game in and of itself, compared to the original games it was very disappointing.

Stealth is a cult genre anyway. The only stealth series that has broke mainstream is MGS and that’s only because it was pitched as more of a cinematic tactics based game at a time where kiddy platformers over-saturated the market.

>tfw no game about stelthily hiding income from market competitors and tax fraud
I'd play the fuck outta that, filing up fake reports, getting into dirty money, shit, does that exist?

Not fun for normies.

>gameplay over story

Um, sweetie, its 2019

Oh, my bad. Must have blocked out the company due to the trauma. Square Enix is just terrible since Square Soft but I guess I mistook them because its another company banking on those reboots.

Theif I did like originally. The remake was just activated animation galore... I really was looking forward to it but got slapped in the face and a terribly designed game. Even the sound was utterly broken. Lore was still Thiefy but that was it.

Like I said though most series have died off or just had unfortunate circumstances. As memey as it is I didn't mind Phantom Pain: Could have done with being a finished game but I understand that Konami really like Pachinko. Snake Eater will always have a place in my heart even if the series became shitshow (Walking Dead: Fence poking simulator).

Attached: WHY.gif (448x252, 1.99M)

When Ubisoft is going to make Splinter Cell with multiplayer to justify their infinite greed

>stealth
>game of patience & self control
exact opposite of modern society

I'm saying things should generally be both. As a medium, gameplay should be pretty important otherwise make movies: It's easier and you're probably going to make more money.

Never. How do you like your limited function in a game that has those same functions expanded and implemented? It's okay though user. We have perspective shifting for teams.

Absolution was shit obviously yes. That's why I said tm is more like Blood Money. Like it's a step in the right direction.

Yes it's called working at JPM. Lots of grinding though.

It's better if they keep it up but I liked the casual hitman story. This Illuminati shit is so forced.

You mean aside from the new games in old series and ports?
>Cat Burglar
>Hello Neighbor
>Mark of the Ninja
>Vandals
>Seven: Days Long Gone
>Serial Cleaner
>Aragami
>Shadow Tactics
>Styx
>Miss Take
>Invisible Inc
It isn't dead. The problem is that other genres are easier to spam out crap for, case in point Platformers and RPGs and VNs.

Yeah I don't need to save the world either

They're there! You just don't notice them.

>Hitman games are doing great.
Not financially

>stealth PvP multiplayer
>most important rule of stealth is to avoid detection
>game starts in 3... 2... 1...
>FAILED (optional) "Don't be detected"
Multiplayer PvP stealth does not exist. The most important aspect of the concept is impossible to achieve before the game even starts. When the "guards" are human players, it's impossible for them to not be alerted to the presence of "thieves". If the place had any sensible security, every match would start with a mad rush by the guards to the lockdown alarm that instantly wins the game for them because all thieves that couldn't make it inside are locked out and all thieves who made it inside can't escape. The only way to have PvP stealth is to lobotomize the guard players into thinking that they're actually working in a facility for the 3000th day in a row guarding against a threat they don't actually ever expect to have to deal with and can't possibly know that tonight is the night someone breaks in.

Attached: look at those textures console pleb.gif (341x217, 2.97M)

>I'm not buying a game where your can permanently miss out on content
I have zero interest in "look we put this new NPC in this recycled map that was specifically tailored around the theme of the target it's originally for and we needed to contrive a reason as to why this target is here of all places" -so for me elusive targets are not missing content. More like good riddance.

Its not. Its just hiding.

Remember when Diana didn't even have a surname let alone an appearance and was just an attractive voice in your ear? Sure her looks now match what she sounds like but somehow it feels like some of the magic is gone.

>Thief 2014 which, while not a terrible game in and of itself
I genuinely can't think of a game that is worse. In an objective listing of features the game has that are unrelated to subjective matters of taste, the negatives outnumber the positives 60 to 1. Even Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing can't achieve that because of how few features it actually has to compare.

I love her VA, but I could've gone without seeing her face yes. Then again, the memes.

Attached: IMG_2409.jpg (754x1024, 77K)

ADD morons who can’t strategize or think coherent thoughts for more than 5 seconds without screaming with their friends.

I don't give a fuck what the rating system says. Zero fucks given murder runs are fun as hell.

I never knew there were memes. I guess nothing is safe.

How do I get pic related working? Like, on a PC with hardware that was not released the same minute as the game and thus is completely incompatible because the developers were morons?

Attached: Pandora_Tomorrow.jpg (220x312, 27K)

You mean pure Stealth? Explosions and Action Sell and products need to sell to be viable.

That said there is still a pretty prominent stealth element leaking into other games as a "option" among many.

I don't think it is dead though, just kinda fumbling due losing one of the major Genre Flagships as far as casuals are concerned.

Because a game cant just be X anymore with X`s mechanics fully explored and exploited. More specifically in this case you cant have a stealth game without also letting people fight effectively, leveling up a bunch of stats, having a million guns and just allowing players to ignore the stealth and rambo the world without penalty.

Stealth is simply another form of gameplay that has been half ass adsorbed into the modern omni genre game™.

wholesome kek

Memes.

Attached: 1543762563514.jpg (1202x677, 66K)

styx 2 just came out a few months ago and it was fantastic. dunno what you are talking about op.
also theres that spy game thats coming out somewhere around june.

>fantastic
Literally worse than the first one in every aspect

play the gamecube version in dolphin. it looks better and actually runs well.

It's probably inevitable that there's going to be a Styx 3 considering that the second game ends basically in the middle of a sentence.

Do I have to use a controller? And where do people even get the roms or bios for dolphin?

>Hitman games are doing great.
lol

A few nights ago I had a dream that I was playing "Dishonored 3". It took place in a snowy Tyvia and the main character was called "Blackeye" -and was the guy who used to be The Outsider. The game was a classic shadow-based stealth game, which is probably the only way a sequel could work now since the god doesn't exist anymore to give anyone spooky OP magic powers.

Attached: Dishonored ClayStudy.jpg (2000x1333, 825K)

Papers Please is the closest I can think of

Papers Please also had a prequel where you're a newspaper editor trying to hide secret rebel correspondence in the articles in a way that gets past big brother's censors and helps the revolution.

devs need all games to have big budgets and sell like crazy, and most people don’t like being vulnerable and forced to sneak around

wat

play the Xbox version

The Republia Times

Which is weird because Ghost Recon Wildlands is super successful and popular and in that game it's impossible to survive 0.1 seconds in combat on the highest difficulty. You have to sneak 100% of the time because enemies can't miss and they kill you instantly.

Oh wow this is pretty cool. Might get around to play it someday

people cant into stealth games anymore, devs force the player to only play in a very specific way or else they get punished, the lack of oppertunities on tackling a section within a stealth game is extremely limited and most dont even have anything other than patrolling guards, what if a stealth game could have cameras sound detection, people with flashlights to search in the dark, traps that make noise, beartraps, complex level design, smart AI that activley search around the place when finding blood or a body instead of knowing your exact location.
main problem i think is that people havent evolved it past the win or lose states of stealth, you stick to that one vent that bypasses eveything and you win, you get seen for 1 millisecond by a guy in a dark room far away from other people and suddenly everyone knows where you are, etc there needs to be some shit like in MGS2 where if yoy get spotted and evade the enemy they dont just forget everything instantly but instead send out a search team with better gear to sweep the area.
i know not being seen is the whole point of a stealth game but if the only option you give for not being seen is to crawl in some vent for a few minutes to the next area then whats the point? where is the challenge in getting around an obstacle of enemies and cameras using your wits and limited equipment? now you could just shoot them with a non lethal gun and run anywhere in the level without penalty because you didnt really killl people but having a military base full of knocked out soldiers is NOT suspicious at all!

Attached: 1504179564065.png (350x288, 136K)

>on the highest difficulty
that might be a key factor

It's a free browser game and takes like ten minutes

>ten minutes

Attached: 1806570-wesker_tricell.jpg (320x320, 10K)

Metal Gear games past MGS1 (also known as Pac-Man: tactical espionage action) seem to be just cries for help by developers who really wanted to make something decent but were stopped at every turn by Kojima slapping his dick in their faces and ordering them at gunpoint to ruin it all with incessant bossfights, cutscenes where you get spotted, embarrassingly retarded anime caricature characters, dialogue that could only make sense to someone who never left the house and babbys first armchair philosophy.

That's only because people make it boring.
Fast-paced stealth is possible, but no-one makes it. One where you need to keep moving all the time to stay out of sight.

I don't think I've ever come across a game like this. Though I suppose videogames let alone stealth games must not be all that popular among goldfish.

Stealth Bastard was pretty great.

>doing elusive contract
>fucking know it's the target because I saw him in the intro movie
>game doesn't want to confirm it's the guy
>"maybe I have to knock him out first"
>make spa hot to make everyone skedaddle
>lure him into spa by throwing wrenches
>throw soda can at him
>he falls into spa, dies instantly of drowning, Diana pats me on the head over the radio, leave with silent assassin rating

I didn't even know you could get the drowning challenge by knocking out people standing in water, I thought it was only by giving them swirlys.

Attached: 20190209112952_1.jpg (1920x1080, 253K)

You could do it on any body of water. I learnt this trying to drag a body through a tiny puddle.

No stealth rape games

Attached: Mirai-Chan.jpg (1000x595, 347K)

I think Manhunt is just that one step away from that

sneaking is boring

yeah, everything is there for a really good game, but all we got was tranq shooting everything

the boss battles and writing were the best part

It needs to have erotic/taboo-ish feel to it.
Otherwise it will just look edgy.
Passion is important, no matter the game

I wouldn't got that far but I can see that they tried to salvage it. MGS1 is functionally identical to an 8-bit game released 12 years before it while during the same year Thief came out with its stealth simulation based on two dozen factors. I really hoped that MGS2 would end up salvaging that trash but it just marginally improved the atrociously simplistic AI and doubled down on all the other bullshit that made MGS so bad.

Yeah, and they're trash, which says a lot about how bad the stealth itself is.

Cringe and plebeian

>comparing a pc game to a ps1 game

except those parts are good you nigger. the end is one of the greatest boss fights

You just made two responses in the same post with both of them indicating just how pathetically low your standards are. MGS is shit and so are you. Come back when the series gets un-cancelled and becomes an actual stealth game series sometime in the next century.

except it's not supposed to be a stealth series, it's an action game with some stealth elements

Well Far Cry and goddamn Elder Scrolls fags don't come shove their low-effort stealth elements trash in stealth game threads time and time again now do they?

>Mark of the Ninja
>Styx

played those and they sucked

People only ever cared about Metal Gear and now that's dead there's nothing keeping the mainstream audience attached to stealth games.

Well that's just it. Metal Gear was never stealth and its milquetoast literally nothing gimmick gameplay combined with its cheesy anime presentation and artificial Kojima hype made it appeal to the mainstream. Stealth has always been a niche and niche games and mainstream audiences are mutually exclusive. Games are more expensive to make now because of the unreasonable demand for increasing production values combined with the unshakeable dedication in never paying more for something that is literally worth more, so all you can make is mainstream games for a mainstream audience to break even. You can't make niche games that create their own audience.