Inferno...home

Inferno...home

Attached: homm3_inferno1_176vn.jpg (615x400, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UDB1b1tvBBw
youtube.com/watch?v=HTXUglrxUQc
youtube.com/watch?v=n7PddNlM8kY
youtube.com/watch?v=0PLruFRPo-k
youtube.com/watch?v=SPj61-K7MaM
youtube.com/watch?v=AnPhs4tKsjs
youtube.com/watch?v=XK7bT1aluPM
youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_avCG9tPs
heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=39830&pagenumber=347
youtube.com/watch?v=z_GOqhQFOX4
youtube.com/watch?v=GSwATqPUsv0
youtube.com/watch?v=PHWxMHHOHyw
youtube.com/watch?v=A66pQIkpEOs&list=PLABD4119AA01E7417&index=29
youtube.com/watch?v=WpT3fHYNTTo
youtube.com/watch?v=fBsUXGqzDJE
youtube.com/watch?v=49S9m5TGsUM
youtu.be/9Ym5m8twHBU
youtube.com/watch?v=LDsHw4AjuYw
youtube.com/watch?v=gLVTyp27mGo
youtube.com/watch?v=-_Mt7Pys0FI
youtube.com/watch?v=hNYV7vCpayg
youtube.com/watch?v=6NbicLyBjwM
youtube.com/watch?v=NwgODYMxv-8
youtube.com/watch?v=rXiL3IEK49E
youtube.com/watch?v=y8tXAc7ur7M
youtube.com/watch?v=8d6nglHDOEA
youtube.com/watch?v=VJAfIpAzaPE&t=139s
youtu.be/qG2HwH1JkAI
youtube.com/watch?v=k6YL8dMSLJA
youtube.com/watch?v=04Q7dTKQaPs
youtube.com/watch?v=GctJryM-6AM
youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Conflux is objectively the most beautiful town.

Attached: Conflux.png (800x600, 508K)

the actual worst faction
I dont mind the design of the units that much, but making them strictly inferior to the castle or a long-game faction was stupid, its like they dumped all the garbage ideas on inferno, including the addon buildings

Attached: Cove.png (800x600, 475K)

you can farm demons tho

>Not Ramparts
Do you even comfy?

Cove Street, Cove; at least it was till balance fucked everything up,

>not Fortress

too much green and I don't like wood elves or walking trees in general. Got into MTG arena recently and I'm down to play any combination of colors as long as it doesn't involve green. Fucking tree-huggers.

it definitely has the best score
you're settling into some classic fantasy vibes and out of nowhere, the most dramatic event in the world has just transpired

But muh city gate
muh demonology
muh intelligence hero
muh efreetigeddon
not so weak at the start and in the long game. In mid definitely struggles.

It looks like the vale version of Tower

This.
youtube.com/watch?v=UDB1b1tvBBw
That fucking moment at 0:45

Isn't it funny that faction that lore wise suppose to be this powerful race created to destroy whole planets is at the same time one of the weakest faction in the game?

Attached: for.jpg (1280x720, 183K)

Fortress is top tier comfy. Just look at those huts.

Have fun with malaria mosquitos

For me its Dungeon,
I always wanted to cuddle with these guys in a cave even since I was little.

Attached: BBBeholder.gif (41x85, 1K)

dragon flies are fucking based

dread knight a GOAT

Why are there almost no HOMM clones? I get it big publishers are too busy making another cinematic open world royal, but where are all indies? HOTA is fun, but I want to try something else.

>Inferno
lol

Attached: lx01nmZ6701r5zgtno1_500.png (500x295, 195K)

>Isn't it funny that faction that lore wise suppose to be this powerful race created to destroy whole planets is at the same time one of the weakest faction in the game?
Not in HotA.
The original devs fucked up a fair bit, desu.

Disciples

I wonder how this faction actually works as a society. I think the only intelligent creatures there are the lizardmen and gnolls. Do they just wrangle into submission everything past tier 2?

I mean, their might class is called beastmaster after all.

It takes a shitton of balancing to get it atleast half-decent (and yeah, I know vanilla heroes is heavily imbalanced). Also, the audience is pretty small, you can do almost anything with mdos already and for those who are there just for the hex there is Battle for Wesnoth.

Kings bounty i guess

ps. where my stronghold bois at

Now that you said about it, I remember one clone. Spaceforce Captains, which was basically a homm in space. Never played it, but I heard it isn't great.

>Unga bunga me play necro me make 20000000 skeletons me good player

Attached: Brain HOMM.png (857x1202, 1.37M)

Inferno is for fags

Attached: 4578732.png (1347x710, 835K)

There are two towns that nobody plays, Necro and Inferno. Only one of these is banned

Switch Fortress with Inferno and we've got a winner.

Cove is not even that strong, it's decent, but still won't stand to the straightforward bullshittery of Castle.
I almost like playing them in HOTA, but that's mostly because they implemented negative luck which made Arch/Devils a fucking annoyance if you don't smear yourself with luck bonuses.

Disciples based the gameplay on Heroes but is barely a clone.

why is this game so popular in Russia?

Why? It takes much more brain cells to win with Inferno.

But you're dumb for picking it in the first place.

it looks amazing,its really fun, it has great music and it runs on any toaster

Then why would you be dumbest picking Necropolis.

AYO WHERE MY TOWER GREMLINIGGAS AT

Attached: Tower-in.png (800x374, 615K)

>tfw you build zeppelin and you get to watch 10 minutes of enemy heroes running around map after each turn

youtube.com/watch?v=HTXUglrxUQc

The most kino piece of prerendered art in all of gaming. Makes me wish I had a "going into games" machine.

Attached: homm 3 swamp.jpg (1280x852, 235K)

>talking with friend from uni
>"hey user I recently started playing heroes 5"
>tell him that if he liked it we could play heroes 3 together
>"no way I am playing that old ass game I mean look at the graphics"

Attached: 1536969022466.jpg (460x442, 20K)

>Inferno...home
Least it was befo' i fucked everythang up.

did you punch him?

>homm3
>bad graphics
what's he smoking?

>going into games machine
not again

Whats the most based unit and why is it minotaurs?

Attached: minoking.jpg (186x225, 10K)

whats even good about them?

bull cocks

They're cool, also chad minimum of +1 morale, overal strong level 5 units incredibly cost efficient with balanced atk and def while dishing out a lot of damage

Further proof that Steam killed gaming

With one of those tendrils inside your asshole no doubt, you little faggot.

*death blows you*

Attached: MHKYN7NZu.jpg (480x360, 21K)

homm3 looks better than 5 though

*death stares ur lvl 7 unit stack*

Attached: gorgon.gif (88x75, 4K)

Conflux is for faggots of the supreme kind

Now, Fortress is a good choice, but I will always see Stronghold as the pinnacle. Especially with that music!
youtube.com/watch?v=n7PddNlM8kY

*rises from the dead*

Attached: Creature_Vampire_Lord.gif (43x87, 4K)

paul romero's scores are absolutely based

Would like to play a heroes clone based on mtg desu

Man I wonder what the demons do for fun. Do they just gather at the demon tavern and laugh at us lowly humans?

For all of you anons wanting to have a more stable place to discuss Heroes, let me direct you to the HoMM general right here

>Musicians, not even people who play HoMM, have begun to recognize the genius that is the Tower theme
>Paul comments on their videos

Pretty kino

youtube.com/watch?v=0PLruFRPo-k

Attached: quite kafkaesque.png (933x769, 563K)

Attached: 1513003401248.jpg (814x1012, 116K)

DAE enjoy making maps? I like to make concept maps that are both playable and give an appearance of a natural setting the town should be in.

I have a confession to make senpai, I don't really like the Tower theme.

Attached: Fortress concept.png (1606x863, 1.93M)

>Top comfy
Rampart, Tower, Fortress

>Medium comfy
Castle, Stronghold, Conflux

>Non-comfy
Inferno, Dungeon

>Are you even trying to be comfy?
Necropolis

I did this when I was younger. Me and my brother were making maps for the other to play.

>Medium comfy
>Stronghold
How can one man get everything right and yet make such an absurd claim?

>Me and my brother were making maps for the other to play
Me and my sister would just spend time making small comfy maps with no opponents.

Attached: Stronghold concept.png (1606x863, 1.73M)

>youtube.com/watch?v=SPj61-K7MaM
>Doesn't enjoy the sparingly used harpsichord notes
>Doesn't get ecstatic from the violin crescendo
>Doesn't get chills from the wind instruments, hauntingly dancing in the background

A true intellectual pygmy

Attached: Westley-Buttercup-in-The-Princess-Bride-movie-couples-19610752-500-281_large.jpg (335x270, 18K)

I don't recognize some of those assets? Like the palisade. Where do they come from?

As a young lad I always wanted to make own campaign, but to this day I haven't made even one functional map.

youtube.com/watch?v=AnPhs4tKsjs

They're from the fan mod, HotA.

Probably HotA

Attached: 1506070712284.jpg (1200x799, 190K)

>Those tilted rooftops fit for living where it snows

KINO

>A true intellectual pygmy
I mean, you're not necessarily wrong.

>Where do they come from?
It's from the HotA mod.

>I haven't made even one functional map
Likewise. I simply work too slow to complete in in any reasonable amount of time.

Attached: Tower concept.png (1606x863, 1.88M)

fuck you, I play Necro because it's just 'failed' Castle

Brety gud. I really like those.

INFERNO...home

Attached: home.jpg (1024x768, 239K)

I don't wanna be a good player, I just wanna have fun, and having a quadrillion skeletons is fun.

Attached: 1363635818973.png (1587x600, 615K)

How can they be so underpowered in every single game?

>Brety gud. I really like those
Thanks! I usually post my maps in HoMM general in - I'm currently working on a Rampart concept map.

Attached: Rampart concept.png (801x639, 662K)

Attached: homm3 guide.png (1248x4348, 2.73M)

Horde of Skeletons

Attached: 12k.jpg (1346x722, 381K)

Conflux is a lazy asset reuse that makes no sense.

Age of Wonders 3 comes close I suppose, but still has lots of non-heroes aspects like actual economy management and founding your cities yourself.

Maybe someone here can help me find a map, a few years ago I played with a friend on his pc and he had some maps downloaded and we played on this one that was like a huge island in the middle seperated into 8 zones by mountains, you couldn't get on the water either and there were also tiny islands with monsters and goodies on them all around the edges and each zone and island had an entrance and an exit portal, with the entrance portals taking you to a random exit portal, anyone knows what map I'm talking about?

Attached: balance necro.png (700x525, 45K)

I tried playing 4 first time in years a while back. It had some decent ideas and mostly comfy feel to it but I still got to wonder what they were thinking with hero balance and especially aesthetics of it's factions.

Actually had quite a flashback to Act 3 in Diablo 2. Fucking Kurast, sweet Jesus
Amazing map lad, top notch

>Age of Wonders 3 comes close I suppose
AOW3 is a pretty solid TBS (though not necessarily a good AOW game) and has really comfy OST as well:
>youtube.com/watch?v=XK7bT1aluPM

>anyone knows what map I'm talking about?
The portals thing reminds me of Barren Lands.

>Amazing map lad, top notch
Thanks for the compliments!

Attached: 1.png (1790x880, 1.62M)

Homm 3's music is great, but for me the town themes from 2 will always be superior.
It's probably the opera singers.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_avCG9tPs

Is .. is this guide bait?
Those are quite some misconceptions

>Mountains
>Rampart
>Not a convoluted spread out forest

that looks more like an area for castle than rampart

Judging by the grammar it's made by a slav. Never question the slav authority in HoMM.

>Barren Lands.
nah, it looked like this , it probably wasn't a circle like that but you get the idea

Attached: Untitled.png (523x523, 16K)

Why is this style of prerendered art so gorgeous to look at?

So much SOUL in these graphics

>that looks more like an area for castle than rampart
That's only the bottom-right corner of the map. The Rampart is supposed to block the entrance to the lush forest with waterfalls and rivers strewn about. For example, here's the waterfall area with the Dragon Cliffs.

>nah, it looked like this , it probably wasn't a circle like that but you get the idea
Well shit, I have no idea then. Go ask the same question here - someone might help you.

>Why is this style of prerendered art so gorgeous to look at?
No idea but it's no wonder people play HoMM III almost two decades after its release.

Attached: 1.png (396x386, 187K)

Kreegans aren't really demons, they are aliens capable of space travel. But who knows how advanced their entertainment is.

I'm also a slav, so I'll question him as much as I want.

Attached: 50mWq3vMMPs.jpg (1175x861, 86K)

Might and Magic always had that scifi-stuff going on, I still don't think it really fits the theme of most of the world.

Attached: 72-xeen_06427.png (512x320, 47K)

There are some decent HoMM clones they are called HoMM 6 and 7

Attached: 1517934680523.jpg (1082x1080, 150K)

Are you guys excited for the factory?

heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=39830&pagenumber=347

Attached: factory_castle.png (1180x664, 1.36M)

Sci-fi behind fantasy IS the theme though.

Hell yeah.

Attached: i14jN.jpg (640x480, 83K)

Age of Wonders 3 is the spiritual successors to HoMM 3 and it actually has an active multiplayer base.

Attached: ageofwondersinsert3.jpg (1920x1080, 790K)

God disciples was a great looking game.

I hope playing it felt as fluid and seamless as HoMM3. AoW3 tends to become a slog towards endgame.

>tfw want to just play as the Castle or the Necropolis

I don't like the units of any other base
come here and take my Crusader's sword bitches

Attached: stinky birb.jpg (900x1200, 140K)

Slav reporting in
Saying that you should NEVER take War Machines, Ballistics, Leadership and Scouting sounds like the author has not really played multiplayer with anyone above average skill level

Attached: 31A62DF3-C95A-492B-9A8B-DDE4D8B82A5B.jpg (1075x1071, 286K)

>God disciples was a great looking game
Disciples II had God-tier aesthetics and soundtrack:
>youtube.com/watch?v=z_GOqhQFOX4

>AoW3 tends to become a slog towards endgame
So does HoMM III, especially when playing against AI.

Attached: Disciples2.jpg (1280x1024, 419K)

Attached: 64BC26DE-6666-42BA-AD95-2B2487C51A57.jpg (743x704, 128K)

i see you are man of taste
swamp is comfiest

Attached: F8C482E0-6EFD-4371-B66A-D7447D01ADD5.jpg (600x525, 67K)

Please keep posting HoMM memes.

why do slavs love homm so much?

Attached: 2500-szt-zlota-i-umowa-o-dzielo-bo-mam-juz-nekromante-na-pana-miejsce-heroes-3.jpg (735x881, 244K)

Attached: 0eCSbWqx178.jpg (826x1200, 159K)

It's a good game.

Attached: 1IGN04Z3IIY.jpg (650x644, 62K)

I always thought the bone/ghost dragons from Heroes 3 were the cutest motherfuckers
I want to befriend one and go on adventures with it, I'd give it a little pink bow so it can destroy our enemies in style

>No dread knights for double damage proc
>no medusa queen for increased ammo

Attached: 116f64dfae6eaa7608275491725c798f.png (554x554, 601K)

The usual; aesthetics, replayability, and easily accesible multiplayer, especially hot seat, but what it made that popular is that it ain't really HW dependant, basically any computer can run it
And since even years later after the fall of the Bloc computers were/are still decently expensive, and considering the purchasing power of the most eastern countries ain't on par with the West ..

When I used to play Champions Online I actually made a Minotaur King as a costume for my character.

Attached: 9880_screenshots_2013-08-03_00001.jpg (1276x694, 174K)

Attached: 1367313228807.png (800x600, 583K)

Attached: PqN5NxWYypA.jpg (823x1080, 259K)

From what I've heard it was one of the first games released over there post-communism. It also wasn't very hardware or internet dependent.

HoMM General, slow as an iceberg but still the best general on /vg/. RIP.

My russian dad bought HoMM III more than 15 years ago and still plays it from the same CD almost every day

has there been a single good HOMM clone in the past decade?

Just imagine the amount of work needed to make a functional HOMM style game without an existing game engine. Just the sheer amount of shit you need to program and make art for on the adventure map is much too intimidating a task for some indie faggot, and on top of that all the math formulas, balancing, gameplay choices, resource management, map making, animations, battle mechanics and all that jazz. It's no small task, no sir.

And big companies aren't going to invest in that kind of a game as it has a relatively small audience.

Recommend him the HD mod

he still uses my old 1280x1024 monitor that I gave him after I bought a new PC

It has quality of life improvements as well like being able to more easily move stacks of units and items between heroes.

Thank God I'm not the only one that still sports monitor with that res

I doubt I could explain to him what is a mod and how to install it. He's a 59 year old boomer

Just do it for him, in a separate install just in case he doesn't like it.

What is the most perfect Combat theme and why is it #2?

youtube.com/watch?v=GSwATqPUsv0

Attached: 1552243090711.gif (43x49, 17K)

Offence > defence
Stronghold > Fortress
Crag the Hack > Tazar

Attached: 4S4iljryGUA.jpg (868x488, 55K)

This, but behemoths are absolute trash without haste and barbarians are about as magic proficient as a decapitated chicken.

i actually started playing aow3 again, are there still players? im thinking of getting the dlc, new races and necro looks fun as fuck

Castle is underrated.

I always liked HoM&M2 battle tracks more.

youtube.com/watch?v=PHWxMHHOHyw

Why is HOMM3 and up art so soulless?

This

>95% russian
>WE WUZ KANGS
I died.

IV was made at the time when everything had to be 3D moddeled even though it looked worse than pixel sprites. Artstyle of IV aged like milk. And I think chages in mechanics weren't all bad but the artstyle prevents me from enjoying it.

Attached: grindan.jpg (800x600, 241K)

pls no

>HISSSSSSSSSSS
LOL

I'm a huge apologize for IV, but it had fucking issues.
The lack of hero specialization was a main one. Changing magic from elements to faction magic was a huge mistake.
Fusing Inferno and Necro was bafflingly bad.

However, I do love heroes on the battlefield even if they were weak early on and stupid powerful late game.
I love that attacks are simultaneous now, makes first strike all the more important.
The morale change is, well its a nerf for sure to morale, but it was still interesting. Making morale the turn order over speed certainly changes it up, rather than taking an extra turn.

The reason there's no good HoMM clones is because not only is it incredibly difficult to design a quality TBS that people would be able to get into en masse, it's a genre that's basically dead because it's almost impossible to make watchable competitively. How many people watch competitive chess that don't know how chess works? Exactly. Now let's add a whole bunch of other complex and non-visual rules and you have a game that you need to have played to understand which limit its entry and streaming potential. You might say that HoMM3 is watched a lot on Twitch but it's watched by Russkie and Polaks further proving my point. Heroes is also really kind of primitive for a TBS, most serious TBS players would probably spring for something 4X instead of this, and Heroes as a series basically hit the wall with 3, it's kind of like Worms Armageddon, yeah they made a whole bunch of new ones, but none of them were quite as good.

To sum it up
- Slow and insufficiently visual for esports
- Difficult to make a genuinely good, fun one despite appearance of simplicity
- Difficult to make something genuinely new within the formula

Attached: startled kot.jpg (501x434, 61K)

pre-rendered 3D models pasted into sprites have certain certain disturbing appeal. As far as my studies go, the more to the east the most likely for people to have missing souls or somehow damaged souls. That's why people in far east (japanese) enjoy anime, because usually they have no souls, and similarly, most slavs have some kind of soul, but usually corrupted or damaged and that kind of aesthetics maintains their sexuality like a balanced meal so to say.

I actually like changes in magic tied to faction.

It's because it was one of the most widely available and affordable games back when Russia was poor and we had no consoles, you pretentious cunt. Same reason Poland and China love it.

Why do people always bring e-sports and streaming as an ultimate argument?

ccaan u kiss the demons U_U

The problem with that is that, in many ways it didn't make sense? There were a lot of duplicate spells, and the fact that EVERY single magic school had 3 of the same skills, with 1 unique skill.

lol my point remains. Chinese have no souls, russians and poles are hardly people, they are more like fungus.

Because hate it all you want, multiplayer games need streaming to be widely successful these days. You can probably make a very good game for 50 people that appreciate its depth and complexity but now you're not making any money, whereas streaming is not only free advertising but also a good indicator of how alive your game actually is. How do you attract new blood? Streaming. Would people rather play slow and boring Heroes game or DotA?

>Changing magic from elements to faction magic was a huge mistake.
Why? I think it added more character to spell schools instead of just having different colored damage spells everywhere. Still unbalanced (Order magic), but better than HoMM3 where Earth and Air were auto pickups for all characters without even thinking.

HoMM7 any good?

mass slow was a mistake

Attached: I think it glitched, the other resources are missing.jpg (1920x1080, 425K)

I loved flying birds on the map and sweet sweet soundtrack

youtube.com/watch?v=A66pQIkpEOs&list=PLABD4119AA01E7417&index=29

Attached: grand_inquisitor_disciples_ii_fan_art_by_svetoslavpetrov-d7v8mey.jpg (800x1132, 238K)

>гpиндaн

Attached: 7204452.jpg (720x572, 128K)

So did bringing back Sandro make 6 worthwhile?
youtube.com/watch?v=WpT3fHYNTTo

That homm6, not 7

100% KINO

>homos
Look at her ass and tell me that again.

Attached: 1533221953328.gif (800x500, 636K)

Did 7 add the resources back? I stopped caring after 6.

yes

Attached: advert.jpg (356x176, 23K)

I might give it a shot then.

>The problem with that is that, in many ways it didn't make sense? There were a lot of duplicate spells, and the fact that EVERY single magic school had 3 of the same skills, with 1 unique skill.
What are you talking about? There is almost no overlap. All the factions have spells that reflect their unique identity. For example, Life doesn't have a single damaging spell (outside of Holy Word/Shout, which only works against the Death Faction), instead their spells are all about healing and buffing their own units. Death is the polar opposite: they have virtually no buffing spells, all their spells are about debuffing and demoralizing their enemies, and reanimating dead units.

The biggest improvement H4 makes over H3 is probably magic. In H3 most spells were downright useless, in H4 most spells are useful, and there is way more variety and unique spells.

Attached: 1549152541649.jpg (1200x1386, 118K)

>HoMM7 any good?
No. It's not unplayably terrible but it's got parts of 5 and 6 without much finesse to anything. Online multiplayer has never been fixed, campaigns are terribly made (seriously fuck you Marzhin you don't understand a THING about Heroes) and AI is bad, the only thing it's got going for it is visuals and even then they looked dated on release.

>by far the best theme
>arguably stronger start than even Castle because day 1 gnoll marauders with Drakon let you farm things marksmen can't
>take hives and then upgrade the wyvs into mighty ducks
>units have no movement penalty on the harshest terrain in the game
>mighty gorgons are so powerful they look at azure dragons and the dragons die

How do other factions even compete?

>blocks your path:

youtube.com/watch?v=fBsUXGqzDJE

Attached: 1551612034579.png (446x435, 74K)

Combat theme #4 is good too

youtube.com/watch?v=49S9m5TGsUM

>I'm a huge apologize for IV, but it had fucking issues.
>The lack of hero specialization was a main one.
??? There is way more hero specialization in Heroes 4 than in Heroes 3.

Attached: 189218128218.jpg (2000x1767, 837K)

A lot of these things are good basic info but I don't get why you shouldn't upgrade Gog to Magog. It's the only good and tactically interesting Inferno unit.

I have a buddy I wanted to play H3 with, but he is color blind, and apparently the game is tiring to look at for him.

Individual heroes don't have specializations in HoMM4 if you don't count classes

I think it's because their blast radius hurts your own units making the unit worthless if you don't have something like HoTA which addresses that.

I play Inferno a lot because I just love the aesthetic. It helps that I never do multiplayer.

tfw Eagle Eye

Attached: with's hut.jpg (565x800, 312K)

lolololol

IV looks like vomit.

Attached: Snap53_1.jpg (1024x768, 227K)

SPAZZ
MATICUS

>Individual heroes don't have specializations in HoMM4 if you don't count classes
So? Heroes 4 already has passive skills that grant the benefits of those specializations. Describing the loss of specializations as 'a huge fucking issue' is a ridiculous exaggeration.

There are far more different hero build in 4 than there are in 3.

>slow units also slow your hero down
Fucking WHAT

That looks fine, the real problem is the creature models

agreed

People say Necro is broken, but isn't Conflux often banned too?

I gotta agree, leadership and luck are highly useful. The double beatdown high morale hit is crushing, and with luck it's even more devastating.

you were pretty close, but you still missed by a mile, buddy
step back in awe before the best battle theme of them all
youtu.be/9Ym5m8twHBU

Attached: 974709.jpg (599x800, 521K)

Underrated

holy shit

Based, I never got the hate for IV. It did so many things right. I like how the expansion for five expanded on its ideas too, as far as creating a unique army within a single faction.

Used to. In HotA Conflux was rebalanced and most people just play HotA now.

I think Heroes III had the best combat themes in the entire series but III was the first HoMM game I ever played so nostalgia is certainly influencing my decision. The reason I say that is because it feels like battle theme is appropriate for a particular encounter. Here's how I look at them:
Battle theme 1 - early fights with neutral monsters or a fight between two weak heroes:
>youtube.com/watch?v=LDsHw4AjuYw
Battle theme 2 - a definitive 'fuck their shit up' theme mandatory for fights in which you're on an equal footing with your enemies, be they enemy heroes or large stacks of neutral monsters [my favorite]:
>youtube.com/watch?v=gLVTyp27mGo
Battle theme 3 - a theme appropriate when pitting your main against weaker heroes or stacks of higher-leveled neutral monsters:
>youtube.com/watch?v=-_Mt7Pys0FI
Battle theme 4 - a more somber kind of theme appropriate for sieging or defending against sieges, encountering heroes that overpower your own forces or fighting against a very tough monster stack - all of will result with you losing a lot of your army (or just losing outright):
>youtube.com/watch?v=49S9m5TGsUM

Honorable mentions from other HoMM games (excluding the ones made by Ubi because I honestly can't remember their battle themes) are the following:
HoMM IV's more contemplative and sorrowful battle theme 4 (this was a tough choice since theme 2 and 3 are also really good);
>youtube.com/watch?v=hNYV7vCpayg
HoMM II's tribalistic sounding drums in battle theme 2 (kinda reminds me of the "Populous the Beginning" soundtrack):
>youtube.com/watch?v=6NbicLyBjwM
HoMM I's battle theme 1 (but I fluctuate between liking theme 1 and 2 more frequently):
>youtube.com/watch?v=NwgODYMxv-8

HoMM maps always look really comfy for some reason

>It did so many things right.
Balance in IV is absolutely fucked and AI barely works. It needed like half a year extra in production then it'd be great.

>pick dungeon
>build mana vortex
>pick spellcaster hero
>40 mana, spell power 3
>win first few battles by doing nothing but spamming spells while your troglodytes dance around
feels wizard as fuck yo

Attached: Heroes-3-Dungeon-Castle-Full.jpg (800x373, 125K)

>Balance in IV is absolutely fucked
Meanwhile in Heroes III:
>Magic heroes are inherently inferior to Might heroes
>Most spells are useless
>A significant portion of skills are useless
>Towns range from absurdly underpowered (Inferno) to absurdly overpowered (Conflux)

Attached: 1552346069272.png (403x448, 53K)

I think 5 is alright, but it already looked terrible when it came out.

Luck is of debatable use. Its pretty much the same category as Resistance, probs a league above it, provided you got the initiative in a fight. It potentially can do loads of damage, but there's loads of artifacts that can provide enough bonus and in vanilla, there ain't shit like negative luck. Leadership, on the other hand, is a fucking must, if you're going strategy of creature banks farm or just mix up creatures from different towns cuz it suits your specific, Diplo as an example, strategy
In HotA, Luck is completely different story, just as is Resistance though again, matter of debate; in my mind, the authors have taken wrong course with the rework, cuz negative Luck is a thing and there's tons of new artifacts and they're generally redistributed differently

When will we get something approaching HotA's Cove again?
I want some fresh content, and I don't trust Ubisoft or whoever owns this shit these days, to do it.

Attached: hota_26.jpg (800x600, 211K)

All of that is small potatoes compared to shit you can pull in 4, especially after HotA became a thing.

How many of these you didn't know about?

Attached: homm3.png (1502x794, 57K)

Later this year

Most of the time the blast radius is manageable, although it would make a lot more sense if your demons were fire immune. They live in fire, some of them are made of fire.

What I know, is that those castles as Forge and Cathedral are still in the works, tho Ruskies are pretty secretive about it

Wait, is 'Factory' different from 'Forge'?
Because I fucking hate Forge.

Attached: H3-ForgeTown.jpg (800x600, 170K)

>All of that is small potatoes compared to shit you can pull in 4
At least the imbalance in 4 is caused by having actual variety in factions and units. I prefer that over 3's relatively samey factions and units.

>especially after HotA became a thing.
Funny that you should use HotA as an argument against homm4 considering almost everything that HotA adds is copied straight from homm4

Attached: 1551554266133.png (644x573, 68K)

Yes, they're taking more of a dieselpunk approach.

Nobody uses Air Shield nobody uses Navigation and Pikemen/Cavalier are irrelevant unless you're a human-loving faggot. The thing about being slowed by your slowest unit is important. It's also stupid. Slow units were already gimped enough in battle.

Based on the same concept, but it seems that they approach it differently (for example there will be only 3 humanoid creatures).

Keep posting these wojaks so I don't accidentially get an impression you had some kind of point there.

Attached: 439.jpg (694x693, 36K)

Why are you retards even arguing, both games are not known for good balance.

>dude let's put zombie cyborg shit in a fantasy game hurr

Attached: DqBcSG2U8AEGad1.jpg large.jpg (512x512, 39K)

>he doesn't know

>Might and Magic
>pure fantasy series

Attached: 1552492891652.png (800x729, 48K)

Only the tower damage

Good.
Though I was kind of looking forward to Konverk.

Attached: 1459338795861.jpg (594x640, 62K)

My sorcerer!

Attached: sorceress_town_by_ashirox-d5krk71.png (1839x1000, 3.86M)

fuck you op I wanted to be productive tonight now I have to play homm.

all conflux users to be eradicated

>inb4 faggots saying that Might & Magic always had sci-fi elements and this is the reason to continue to mesh together these two distinct settings that fit like a fist in the eye

Attached: images.jpg (229x220, 5K)

According to forum posts of Docent_Picolan ( who is one of the devs )
"Proper" steampunk i.e. Jules Verne inspired victorian era science fantasy.

Fuck, that theme is so good, especially at 0:45.

Just because that one piece of concept art that was never to be put into the game is bad doesn't mean it's impossible. It just needs style and finesse.

>get arguably one of the best starting heroes in the game (grindan)
>alternatively can cheese with Luna which is potentially incredibly strong
>storm eles are a ranged unit that have a max of 8 fucking damage as a mere tier 2
>have magic university if air or fire magic is ever needed in addition to the earth grindan starts with
What the fuck were they thinking

Arguing about pointless things is what Yea Forums is only good for

Why no dread knights?

How nostalgic does this make you?

youtube.com/watch?v=rXiL3IEK49E

This argument has always been stupid.
The Sci-fi elements have always worked great because they are a natural uping of the stakes, its a clear indicator that shits gotten real.
The issue arises when introducing that element as a baseline into the universe, having a sci-fi "starting town" fucks with the setting. A single boss unit or maybe a tier 7 unit being sci-fi inspired would work, but its gotta be used sparingly.

youtube.com/watch?v=y8tXAc7ur7M
This song right here for me is THE HoMM song.

Sounds really bland desu

Not as bland as your face.

>What the fuck were they thinking
They weren't thinking. Conflux was cobbled together at the last minute when they scrapped the forge faction after the controversy.

Controversy never existed, AB was just rushed out the door.

>Controversy never existed, AB was just rushed out the door.

Work on the Armageddon's Blade expansion began in early 1999. The developers originally intended to focus the storyline around a new, futuristic faction, the "Forge" alignment,[7] allowing the game to act as a continuation to the "evil" ending of Might and Magic VII while showcasing the science fantasy aspect of the core Might and Magic series, which had never been evident in the Heroes of Might and Magic games. Although the Forge faction was almost completed and functional, some fans reacted negatively to its inclusion, believing that the inclusion of science-fiction destroyed the Heroes series' fantasy-based atmosphere.[8]
Wrong:
>Midway through the expansion's development, New World Computing decided to scrap the Forge faction and removed all references to its existence from the game's storyline, instead building upon Might and Magic VII's "good" ending. To replace the Forge, they invented an elemental-based faction Conflux.[9] Due to the scrapping of the Forge halfway through the project, the developers and design artists suffered from a lack of time when completing the Conflux faction, and were forced to implement elemental creatures from the base game. This is evident if one takes a good look at the dwellings of the original four elementals within the Conflux town: they all use the same graphics as on the world map.

It's obvious that it was scrapped, but that was an internal decision because they too couldn't work it into the game well, not because of some controversy. It was fucking 1999 for fuck's sake, most people didn't even know who to bitch to.

They're expensive. Most level 6 units are too expensive for what they do. For nearly all races it's better to ignore level 6 units and stack the lower level units then get level 7 ones. If you are swimming in gold then you should buy absolutely every unit available in town, of course, and when you do that Dread Knights are a worthy addition to any army. However if you aren't swimming in gold then you need to compare gold effectiveness. Your money is much better spent on Vampires and Liches than Dread Knights. They have a good melee debuff but Ghost Dragons have an even better one, arguably the best in the game, so you might as well skip the Dreads and go for the Ghost Drags.

So if this thread were to hypothetically inflame my nostalgia, where would be the best place to hypothetically purchase this game in the modern age and why?

Thrift Store or Ebay
Or go to CompUSA like the rest of us and buy Heroes3Complete

gog

My PC doesn't have a CD drive these days. I meant what website, like GOG or something?

This. There is almost no useles or utter trash stuff, be it creatures, skills or spells.
Pick/choose aproach to unit buildings sounds better on paper since it robs you of interesting army compositions on tier 2 and 3.
Map maker and scripting engine led to some amazing map tho i understand that for some HoMaM fans random map runs were a major part of franchise.

Just don't get the hd version, because it doesn't have add-ones and there is hd mod anyway.

>muh hero specific specialization
>never mind that majority of them are +X to skill or unit stack
>not even mention how majority of
both units and skills are considered bad.

>i understand that for some HoMaM fans random map runs were a major part of franchise

I never understood the appeal. I tried playing a couple of those in HoM&M3, but the map I always end up with has so many two-way and one way monoliths that it becomes impossible to keep track of every single gate and it ruins the fun for me.

these two remind me of netstorm

>A Legion of Manticores
>two stacks of 300 magogs with Bow of the sharpshooter
>Mass slow
Rejoice as you take them down by the hundreds each turn. But sure, Marksmen and Grand Elf are better right?

HD mod massively improved the RMG. All multiplayer PVP is now played on random maps. They're not really random, they're based on templates (and editable templates really helped lift this feature off the ground for PVP). You just can't make new maps every day for people to play and this way the thrill of discovery of a new map remains.

Why are necromancer players always so based

>all pvp is now played on random maps
Random maps are fine, but Jebus Cross was a mistake

You're not wrong.

How do I get into this game?
I started the other day and it seemed pretty good but the combat seemed so fucking weak i dropped it.
Should I just auto-resolve all the time or does it get deeper than just "mash the units together"?

Someone did a calculation. Magogs will only outdamage marksmen if they can consistently hit 3+ enemies with a single attack. For enemies to be so clustered is extremely unlikely. And at any rate, the magog AoE is an equal liability to your own units, since you can't freely target the aoe on the ground, you have to center it on a specific unit.

It wouldn't be until Heroes 4 until the potential of the magog would be realized, albeit in the form of a different unit: the cyclops, due to finally having the ability to freely target the AoE anywhere. It's even more powerful in heroes 4 since thta game has ranged retaliation, and since the cyclops attack doesn't target a specific unit, it doesn't trigger retaliation.

Attached: 1548857191441.png (512x512, 117K)

Necropolis is best city because liches are beast niggas

Does anyone else just open Heroes 3 at random and just play for a couple hours? Shit's kino

>themes that inspire you to go on a crusade against evil
youtube.com/watch?v=8d6nglHDOEA

If you just "mash units together" you'll get outpaced on losses. Majority of PVP games get resolved within the first couple of weeks of the game time. Obviously, in single player you can often just camp and build up troops depending on difficulty and map design since AI isn't generally that strong, but there's a lot hidden finesse to combat. And by hidden finesse I mean spamming 1-unit stacks to take off retaliation.

IMO Ghost dragons are way too expencive and it's debateable if they bring more to the table than dread knights but who cares when you have vampire lords, liches and skeletons with necromancy and oh lord if you get the cloak of the undead king

Paul is a chill as fuck. Years ago I used to talk to him about his music on Facebook, and he used to wish me happy birthday. Super cool dude.

I thought someone said this can run on Windows 10?

I put my old disks into the drive and it's not letting autorun install it. :(

Just get GoG copy off torrents and apply HD fan mod, geez.

IV is great... and has so much soul. I don’t know what it is about that game, but the combination of the amazing music and interesting aesthetic made it so atmospheric.

>Pirating/Installing something that can have keyloggers and malware and can trigger my ISP when I have the fucking disks right here.

Listen I'm a literal 30yo boomer who wants to play his old favorite game. You'd fucking think in this day and age that a new built computer in 2019 can run a disk from 2000

You can always target the backside of a 2 hex unit for safe hits, the friendly fire aspect is pretty manageable if you're smart.

The GoG version is 3 bucks on sale, if you're a 30 year old boomer you can afford that.

How did you even end up on Yea Forums? Perhaps Facebook is more up your speed.

Attached: tenor.gif (220x258, 195K)

Cocaчepы.

It hurts my soul that my favorite game series of all time became a fucking gacha

I'm not going to rebuy something I already have.

Been here since I was 18.

Yeah, my GoG version runs perfectly.

have to agree with this dude the original homm 2 version had more character, but if you want maximum soul then listen to the man play itself youtube.com/watch?v=VJAfIpAzaPE&t=139s

Attached: Les_Edwards_-_Conan_The_Rebel.jpg (450x453, 263K)

>synths with bad mixing have more character than orchestra!
t. boomer

Always found that game half assed. Could never reach the last creatures in upgrades despite farming the entire map.

>Champions travel 17 hexes to charge your favorite stack.
how fucked are you?

Did anyone manage to get some MP games going in Heroes 7?

oh come on my little zoomer buddy, feel the magic
youtu.be/qG2HwH1JkAI

Attached: 1546024836586.jpg (887x890, 123K)

>first few ingame weeks are god tier
>around the time when you upgrade everything in your castle the game becomes a chore to play

Prove me wrong.

No AoW is a good AoW because each of them play very differently.

>not finishing the game in 10 days
git gud

That's pretty cool actually, nice one user

Then consider the 3 bucks be the worth of getting the game working.

Literally impossible, netcode is completely broken.

>as a little shit find the map editor
>make a walled of section with every castle, the flying armor and tons of every mine
>spend months building up my shit undisturbed
>steamroll the (easy) AI in a couple of turns

Holy ffuck i was a faggot

Attached: 1527800522550.jpg (1096x1160, 266K)

Guys I need help, I've asked this in every Homm3 thread I've been in and I'm yet to get an answer. I'm looking for a map that resembled the Homm3 logo - the shield with a griffin on it. It was XL and had all the cool unit dwellings like Azure / Crystal dragons and so on.
I'm sure this map exists since we used to play it with my best friend back in the day, but I haven't had any success in finding it again.

>tfw you realize HoMM1 had actual early renaissance graphics

Attached: homm2.jpg (1128x1242, 95K)

>36 skills
That's a bit misleading though. Skills are interlocked so you could say there's only 9 skills (tactics, combat, scouting, nobility and 5 magic skills) with secondary skills placed under those as skill trees. It's also pretty stupid that you need to be at least level 13 to cast level 5 spells.

IIRC the vast majority of spells are outright useless to any single hero.

Goddamn I love HOMM memes. They are extra spicy if you are a slav.

>scorching hot pussy

yes

yeah, units that have low speed will reduce your hero's speed, such as zombies, dwarves, dendroids.

>Start game
>Oggle the maps
>Get overwhelmed and confused
>Quit
help

wtf user, just play and get your assed kicked, it's not that hard.

not slavland, but im yet to meet anyone not computer illiterate that never played homm3. even fukcking females

Attached: 1527789777242.jpg (632x454, 63K)

H1 is underrated as fuck, always loved the fairy tale asthetic.

How does this game have so much soul, bros?

spicy you say?

Attached: 1513003042396.jpg (900x900, 181K)

devs sold their own for it

Attached: 1527803145522.jpg (700x415, 24K)

>dissing on classics

Attached: 1525867413768.jpg (600x450, 58K)

>dissing

But I said I love it.

>start game
>oogle at heroes
>fap
>quit
fuck all those androgynous ones

Attached: 1516107222358.jpg (2160x2160, 1.22M)

holy fuck am i retarded, sorry user

Attached: 1532337688504.jpg (512x547, 53K)

skills
That's a bit misleading though. Skills are interlocked so you could say there's only 9 skills (tactics, combat, scouting, nobility and 5 magic skills) with secondary skills placed under those as skill trees.
So? They are still distinct skills that have different effects on gameplay, much moreso than in heroes 3.

>It's also pretty stupid that you need to be at least level 13 to cast level 5 spells.
Not at all. It means that building up a magic hero is actually rewarded, unlike heroes 3 where might heroes are capable spellcasters AND much better at boosting the physical stats of their army.

If there's one thing Ubisoft did right is that artwork quality was on point. Even in Heroes 3 portraits look kinda goofy (compare HotA originals to vanilla, there's no contest).

Attached: H6_Eruina.jpg (649x649, 68K)

Because we have great taste in vidya

>no more heroes blobber

Dont sweat it

Attached: images (1).jpg (260x194, 18K)

Attached: 80654406ae43466ba2627eb632e98788.jpg (240x240, 18K)

GOG

what?

>So? They are still distinct skills that have different effects on gameplay, much moreso than in heroes 3.
Not really. 10 of them are literally identical

The dendroid is binding the vampire, who's just out of reach of the delicious archer?

youtube.com/watch?v=k6YL8dMSLJA

Attached: 111432324325.gif (359x262, 50K)

god-games

is this loss

>10 of them are literally identical
Which ones? The skills that unlock higher magic ranks and give you MP? Heroes 3 has skills like that too (air, earth, water and fire).

Fuck
I want full necro, what do?

Attached: Dominions4_2019-03-14_23-38-59.jpg (1811x1171, 317K)

>>/wsg/2741030

Fug

Oh fuck, haven't heard this one in a while.

Attached: when somebody blocks you but you still have some fakes.jpg (401x259, 42K)

Attached: Russian Heroes 3 meme.jpg (1162x880, 159K)

>You'd fucking think in this day and age that a new built computer in 2019 can run a disk from 2000
opposite is usually true because of change from 32-bit to 64-bit

Listen to this

FUCK ERMOR

I'm about to say it.

Because it got localized.

I had a 7 hours one recently; it went find until the last 5 turns or so when it threw "out of sync" errors

Apparently a load fixes that. It was the best time I've had since H3, shame the community could not fix the MP completely cause the devs threw their hands up in the air, even though the sync issues show up less now

*blocks your path*

Attached: Age_of_Wonders_-_Shadow_Magic_Coverart.jpg (220x309, 19K)

Fundamentally 7 is still Heroes. It's just not that great nor does it offer really new or good ideas, so of course you had a blast. I just wish publishers stopped thinking they can just put out an unfinished products then finish it with patches because that's what happened with literally every game after 3 and it killed all potential this series ever had.

>tfw Behemoths are literally just apyrs

I agree it's not as great as H3 but I enjoyed it the most of all the other ones. For people wanting a more modern alternative I feel like it's the best one (the sim turns are amazing), even if it's flawed

Age of Wonders is ok but doesn't really appeal to me. Unironically the closest game to Heroes 3 to ever come out is King's Bounty which is fantastic, but unfortunately is SP only.

>*blocks your path*
AOW and Heroes can coexist since they're so different and yet so enjoyable.

>AOW and Heroes can coexist

NEVER

Both 1 and 3 are better.
More races =/= more good

>You will never listen to AoW2 soundtrack for the first time
youtube.com/watch?v=04Q7dTKQaPs
youtube.com/watch?v=GctJryM-6AM

Attached: 1549808757122.gif (500x280, 1009K)

worst town

Perfection

Attached: 1.png (500x281, 99K)

Inferno has literally never been good in any of the four games it's been in

Sacrifice your Familiars and Cerberi, turn them into hundreds of demons.

What's the best way to enjoy 3? Playing campaign? Playing games vs CPU? Or playing vs a friend?

200% vs 7 AIs on random Jebus Cross, Diamond or Nostalgia
Hotseat is always amazing, or just generally playing with friends. Also scenarios are fucking great

Tower is worse than Inferno desu. Sure Naga Queens and Titans are amazing units, but by the time you get them you're usually behind any other faction in terms of sheer army from creature banks. Also all of Tower's heros suck except for maybe Neela and Solmyr.

If you're just starting, play RoE campaigns. If you have someone to play with then do that. If you aren't above googling basic information community takes for granted there's always active online lobby provided by the fan HD mod. Playing maps versus CPU is okay but gets tiring pretty quickly unless you're playing challenge type maps where you're fighting the map design and not so much the CPU.

GODDAMNIT SSETH! I TOLD YOU TO FUCK OFF!

I didn't know that MeKick posts on Yea Forums

Creature banks were a mistake. They shifted the game too much from playing your faction to playing the map to the point where it almost doesn't matter what you choose.

Hopefully next HotA instalment will shift the meta from creature bank farm strats

Ermor or Nazca. Trust in death magic

Yeah it'd be nice to have a shift away from JC "who gets better wolf picket/hive biome with good boxes" meta. They nerfed necromancy in hota but ended up making necro strongest town again anyway because galthran start means if you have banks you probably win.

Paul Romero is amazing
youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo

Mby I missed something, but ain't Galthran replaced by some other hero in HotA?

nah galthran still lives, and hota means he gets 3 stacks of skeletons, then you get a guaranteed necro hero in left tavern for more skeles, then you build skele transformer to sac walking dead and buy up skeles from dwelling

very strong start

how the fuck are you supposed to play without town portal?

literally worst faction

chain heroes
later games invented caravans to ease up logistics

hero chains, which is a very huge learning curve

Sounds pretty brutal
Though most of the heroes with 1st tier creature specialization got buffed overall with guaranteed 3 stacks of units, Drakon w/ Gnolls probs being the top dog among them