Why are sprites so comfy?

Attached: 098.png (645x575, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dBlX2LOffn0
youtube.com/watch?v=uaxTSeZAhI8
youtube.com/watch?v=owXv2qq5XGE
youtube.com/watch?v=t93s5gHcIrE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why have there been so many Pokemon GSC threads on Yea Forums lately?

Attached: 1535499945327.jpg (381x519, 67K)

They're timeless.

They're repetitive and immediately recognizable since you only ever see a sprite from 1 angle

Spriter here, it's not timeless, I'm out of a job.

nostalgia

To clarify, 3D largely took over sprites.

Hot media and cool media. Sprite art is cool media.

This.
There's games from the 00s that looked nice back then, but are horrendous now. Sprites are like 2d animation. There's cartoons from the 1930s that look better than some of the crap that's out now. The Bambi movie (1942) looks better than CG shows like Jimmy Neutron movie/show. 2D and Sprites simply never age poorly.

Lower quality lends more to the imagination.
The issue with pursuing hyper realism is that real life is fucking boring.
The closer you get to that the more boring things get.

not this

this post was made by the notthisposter to counteract the oppression to us notthisposters by the thisposters.

Sprites are ambiguous, meaning you can fill in the gaps for what the characters really look like in your imagination. This is precisely also why the LA remake looks like shit

Because it is the best gen next to 3

Sword and Shield got people thinking about the series again.
And who the fuck is honestly gonna start a gen 6 thread?

Why has no night cycle lived up to gen 2's? Is it the windows? How the characters don't change color? Every night cycle since gen 4 has just been meh

Attached: Gold Sprites.png (1120x728, 153K)

still the best ff

Attached: ff6reflect.png (480x416, 5K)

Attached: Silver Sprites.png (1120x728, 155K)

I was just thinking it'd be the GOAT if it had day/night cycle and Gen 2 style animations. Biggest flaws of Gen 3, but other than that it's pretty much perfect.

youtube.com/watch?v=dBlX2LOffn0

Attached: Crystal Sprites.png (1120x728, 154K)

NOTE: Not ALL sprites are comfy. There's something magical about the old sprites (see: Pokemon G/S/C, Final Fnatasy, etc etc). All the nu-indie sprite trash nowadays cannot compare to the sprites of old. They just can't. They may be similar sprites, but the older games have that magic to them.

Attached: 1497302773971.jpg (361x631, 64K)

best route coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=uaxTSeZAhI8

Thats because older games we're limited, they tried to use what little they had to make them seem the most realistic, whereas indie games are the exact opposite by using a lot more to make a lot less

so it begins

Attached: Pokemon-Gold-and-Silver-2-471x425.jpg (471x425, 29K)

Because they have >soul

The slutty anons, that's who

The end of every nuzlocke

What went wrong (right) with the remakes?

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-224533_DraStic.jpg (1440x2960, 1.42M)

im actually trying to decide to run a nuzlocke on emerald fire red or silver. first two emulated last one on my 3ds and this thread clinched it for me

Attached: g.png (296x171, 7K)

Which gen had the best music and why is it Colosseum?
youtube.com/watch?v=owXv2qq5XGE

>start playing Alpha Sapphire recently
>get to literally the first gym and realize 3/4 of my pokemon are flying type

Mistakes were made

You post this every day
It's probably all one guy

Correct. The worst thing is that realism is never achieved so it just looks like a failure.

Yeh is me

because nostalgia is history after a couple of drinks
also probably because your game systems showed you more love than your parents did

that magic is called "nostalgia" and you should really take off those goggles

Attached: 1501791310365.png (778x512, 45K)

A decade has passed and they still have the same issues as the originals.

Have any recommendations of good sprite-based games? I don't doubt that there are good ones out there, but the market is so flooded with 8bit/16bit pixely sprite indie trash that it's hard to find a gem. Whenever I see a new title come out and it includes "pixel" in the tags/description, I tend to insta-skip.

Which is?

>he doesn't play the Drayano hacks that fix nearly every issue
Why aren't you emulating it bro?

Attached: 1552359518347.png (300x175, 19K)

>Which is?
The leveling problem, the distribution of pokemon is still some of the worst, Kanto is pretty empty outside of the gym battles, the lack of a Vs. Seeker means you're gonna grid out the ass fighting weak pokemon.

Yellow was the Pokemon game I started with, and I loved GSC but no game has ever had the same impact on me that ruby and sapphire had

If you tend to skip pixel art games then it's no wonder you perceive it to be hard to find ones that you like. I'm not going to do your work for you.

Attached: Renoir Discusses Art.jpg (936x1436, 331K)

>Kanto is pretty empty outside of the gym battles
This one hit me. I remember the feeling as a kid. Was cool that we had Kanto of course, but damn.

I hate this word, but they were soulful.

More time should've gone into Johto to build on what was already laid down because outside of Ecruteak and Goldenrod, Johto is pretty bland when it comes to towns.

As someone who played Gold growing up, seeing the Silver sprites is like a weird, slightly incorrect alternate universe.

A lot of these are pretty miss. I mean, that Charizard, Christ.

I have this on 3DS and occasionally feel like playing it, but then I remember the atrocious learnsets.

i just want pokemon to stop half-assing itself again. Literally all of the work is there for them, all the pokemon, all the moves, just give me an interesting world to use them in

>pixelshit
gross go back to /vr/ grandpa

>not just picking up a geodude from dark cave to one shot that whole gym
your fault

>stop half-assing itself again
user, what are you saying? Pokemon was always half assed. Since the fucking beginning.

The thing is, I feel like GameFreak doesn't put it all into their games. I agree with you user. They have all the foundation to make a fabulous Pokemon World game... but they don't deliver.

Look, I literally want a Pokemon game with fantastic visuals that lets me play with my Pokemon, the Pokemon I've had since the GBA games, after I beat the main story. I don't want Battle Tower/Tree/Maison shit, I'd even take the Battle Frontier. So sick of Pokemon games not having shit to do after the main story is done. Let me play with my friends - my Pokemon. Give me something to do with them instead of waiting for the next main game to come out.

Attached: franmad.jpg (259x278, 15K)

whats with the red on his face? is that actually part of the game?

only two people in this thread got it right
*SOUL*

>Pokemon was always half assed. Since the fucking beginning.
BW/2 was the one moment they actually put the effort and heart into the game, only for KANTOOO to shit themselves.

Pokemon is dead because they will never try something different. When the 64 came out we should have gotten a core RPG there.

Pokemon never got its Mario 64/Ocarina of Time so we're stuck with the same 1997 Gameboy Game for the 20th time.

The Pokemon world is so cool and we'll never be able to explore it any other way because it is too successful for them to try anything else. It's a real shame.

Attached: IMG_0991.jpg (600x969, 73K)

Attached: 0UCBk6c_d.jpg (640x982, 71K)

Wow, user.
Go get laid.

While I agree that they need to change and innovate, I'm not really sure if Pokemon really needs to move away from being a fundamentally portable title.

based Hitchcock poster

SO MUCH MONEY

"Why"

Attached: IMG_1051.png (247x291, 34K)

This

Defeated looking wobbuffet is my favorite.

Fuck

Attached: 1515512344804-v.jpg (335x327, 24K)

GCN had more traditional RPGs in the form of Colosseum and XD. They didn't sell very well. People don't want an Ocarina of Time, nor do they want any of the spinoffs (Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Conquest, Box, etc...). They just want the same thing but with new Pokemon and moves.
Pokemon is, at its core, a social game. Trading and battling with other people will always be a huge draw to the series. Portable games allow you to take it with you and battle/trade face to face with other players. Obviously it's great for kids on a school playground, but adults who go to vidya/anime conventions (ie: the autists who actually buy Pokemon as adults) also get a lot from that. Leaving multiplayer to be strictly online is going against the whole spirit of the franchise.

Sprites like pokemon's were comfy because theyre abstract shapes combined, binding our imagination together. Look closer at a tree or any character, under great analysis, does that make sense? No. The look is as complicated as you want it to be, a form of freedom

i mean not removing features for no fucking reason just to add them again later, which basically every gen since V did(fuck you B/W1 i want my poketch back)

>The worst thing is that realism is never achieved so it just looks like a failure.
It's not a pipe, it's a painting, we get it retard. If what you just said inherently applies to every single piece of art ever made, realism or not, then in the context of art, it means fucking nothing. Truly some world champion mental gymnastics in your head, friend.

Attached: 1535463584334.jpg (372x560, 28K)

Yeah, because they sucked. We're not asking for another "stealing pokemon" game in the orre region.

Nobody is asking for a core console version to replace the mobile version either.

The world has been explored in anime and manga and I want that experience in my game.

Poketch was fucking useless.

the party hp display was nice and much more useful than fucking C-gear. Its a minir issue and B/W2 has a billion additions to make up for it but everything afterwards didn’t event attempt to fill the gaps

I love the crispness of well-made sprites.
Lots of 3d games introduce some sort of shitty blurriness either by poor textures, bad AA or shitty post processing

Reminder to look at the lively tail. Wobbuffet is just a shell to secure the true creature: the tail.

I gotta do this.

I enjoyed Colosseum a lot. Never played XD though. But people saying 'OH IT SUCKED!' just reinforces Gamefreak's belief that only carbon copies of the previous game sell.
>Nobody is asking for a core console version to replace the mobile version
I literally replied to someone questioning why Pokemon needs to be a fundamentally portable title.

>why does it need to be portable
>why do we still have portable

These are two different statements.

Kanto in HGSS is almost the exact same as FRLG Kanto, so you’re basically just saying that Kanto itself is boring, which is a you problem.
Also Play the games

Because assholes won't stay in their containment board

>look at the trees
>go right
>look at the fence
>go left

Attached: train.gif (500x393, 51K)

I'm strictly talking about certain games with cutscenes, where they try to emulate emotions but fail miserably because I am distracted by how much it fails to achieve the realism that it aims for. I don't know where your automated autism reply came from but save it for a relevant post.

Attached: 1525170465184.png (435x505, 166K)

>almost the exact same as FRLG Kanto,
FRLG Kanto had Team Rocket as the main antagonists, your rival and the post-game in the Sevii Islands. HGSS has none of that.

What's the last game with sprites you played Yea Forums?

Whatever happened with that gold beta that got leaked last year? Supposedly it had a ton of completed things that got scraped.

EarthBound Beginnings

>party health checker
>party happiness checker
>egg tracker
>step tracker
>breeding check for both compatibility and levels
>berry tracker that tracks berries and tells you when to pick
>map with markers to mark honey trees
>legendary roamers can be seen on map at all times without opening pokedex
>type effectiveness chart
I wouldn't call that useless user

the comfy glow of the windows

The fence goes either way.

Damn it, I saw it correctly at first but after reading it messed up my brain

>Not grinding that Machop you got from Goldenrod that leveled up quickly because it was from a trade
Disdain for plebs.

The issue is that it required perfection, but now that it's so easy to make games, people can half-ass it. You still get masterpieces now and then from pure hearted autists who genuinely care, but in the age of ease and ironic detachment, most people (i.e. people who make shit) don't give enough of a fuck. They just want to get their money and move on.

They're old you dumb nigger

I really really dislike gen 2 pokemons, and I dont know why

lol nice try, bitch
youtube.com/watch?v=t93s5gHcIrE

Just restarted Pokémon Platinum and its kinda comfy too, the music is pretty good.

I just started a Emerald run and for some reason it feels real good playing during Spring.
Good lord is if fucking slower than I remember though.

Attached: 1550541361416.png (280x400, 77K)

Attached: Akumajou_Dracula_X_-_Chi_no_Rinne_(NTSC-J)_[KMCD3005]-190313-213119.png (1440x1080, 26K)