Can you pinpoint the exact moment valve as we knew it died?

Can you pinpoint the exact moment valve as we knew it died?

Attached: valve-1131540.jpg (665x374, 14K)

They'd been on the decline for years, but when Gabe actually doubled down on paid mods and was arguing in their favour on /r/pcmasterrace, it was the end.

Pcbros and the whole borderline-cult of personality they've built up around Gabe are kind of alarming tbqh desu

It was two related moments. Death blow and death rattle I guess. First was opening Steam to every shit indie out there (which has only gotten worse, fuck your sex games and VN trash) and when they added curators as if blindly following some dipshit creator fixes their terrible store.

As devs they died when Portal 2 released because they haven't released a real game since.

>introduction of the Steam Trading system
>introduction of lootboxes/rare weapon skins/etc.

I honestly think CS:S/CSGO/Dota/TF2 really killed it, or at least leeched off whatever was left.

Once Crates/Keys became obviously profitable that was our downfall. The focus became on making the Steam Marketplace as profitable whilst doing absolutely nothing. Every transaction, every trade, Valve takes a percentage off.

I remember how garbage the quality of TF2 went when the Mannconomy Update was introduced. It was hype at first, but oh god we were so naive.

Attached: 23915493_1759639590747958_314354340580319660_n.jpg (540x540, 21K)

The trading cards was a major player. I noticed thats around the same time people started spurging about how valve is so nice about giving away "free" digital garbage that has no value and act like they give away real gifts.

The Portal 2 blog post announcing that they were adding TF2's cosmetic system into the game.

Valve died a death of one thousand cuts, but the trading in TF2 was the start. Everything that followed was a result of that update.

>spend millions of dollars and years of development to make a game that might be received poorly and sell like shit
>or we could reskin a couple hats/weapons and make bank off of idiots
We get the world we deserve

Attached: x7c132i4rb6z.gif (680x383, 2.47M)

Valve was never good. The best thing they have ever done is buy out younger developers with actual ideas to make games like Portal. Besides that, they are one of the main propagators of MtX gamification garbage.

tiananmen square massacre in 1989

It was at The International when they showed the Artifact trailer.

Paid mods

To be fair, I made $6 off the Trading Cards for Devil May Cry 5 on release night. They sold for CRAZY amounts on Launch Day.

Other than that, there's no use for them. I don't personally know anyone who collects/gives a fuck about them at all.

Attached: hank hill ass.png (196x178, 40K)

It took you that long to realize?

>there will never be a Portal VR remake

Of all the games that deserve VR, this one could have been so fun.

Attached: DwnG4IVUcAMqBgs.jpg (540x540, 22K)

Reminder that Randy Pitchford is responsible for Half-Life and Source. Gearbox was the developer that Valve hired to make the original games and engine, not just Opposing Force. There is a strict contract in place as Gearbox/Randy/Investors will get a percentage of all profits from the Half-Life series as long as they don't reveal that Valve wasn't responsible for making the games in the first place.

Gabe has always run a business, but for video games, they started out doing intensive video game testing work and audience tests to see if games, such as Homeworld, would work in the PC market. Their plan from the start with Gearbox was to have them make an amazing FPS video game engine, Source, make an amazing video game series for it, HL, then make a video game service which requires you to use them as a storefront to buy video games.

It's an amazing plan, and Gabe being a business owner first, saw the potential in controlling the market that id Software did not.

Attached: Pitchford610.jpg (800x450, 53K)

>Gabe actually doubled down on paid mods and was arguing in their favour on /r/pcmasterrace
Source me

This is the only screencap I have on hand. Dunno if it's still there, it might be.

Attached: 1411682325751.png (1520x923, 96K)

>Mann Co.
I'm sure I'm forgetting about something that happened before this, but this is when I personally remember everything started to go downhill.

Attached: StatueCanvasRevy.png (365x976, 327K)

Nice headcanon faggot

same as blizzard. like blizzard hit ultimate success with WoW subscriptions that ended up creatively stagnating them for a decade, Valve did it with a mix of Steam and cosmetics. they both achieved their perfect money farm and the only thing that made sense anymore was to tend to their garden and reap.

Attached: blizzardentertainment.png (605x961, 96K)

September 30th 2010

Attached: mannconomy_update.jpg (462x310, 47K)

Release of DotA 2
I'd say another possibility was not when portal 2 released, but afterwards. Because they released an exceptional valve style game but IMMEDIATELY fucked up the multiplayer by copy and pasting the exact same tf2 shit into it (literally hats) and then scratching their heads as to why it failed. They've had zero game play successes since then.

>headcanon
Gabe pls. You know Valve doesn't have the ability to do anything creative.

>TF2 hat factory community breaks paypal to hard many of them make more than their real job.
>Gabe tries to get TES modders a piece of the pie
>They hate him for it
>He pulls back and stops
>They still hate him for it

I honestly cant, I dont see in the future

They've reinvented themselves several times now. During Portal 2 development when they decided that would be their last traditional 'AAA' singleplayer game, then again when they decided to become a hardware/systems-software (OS and API) company (probably actually the same decision as leaving 'AAA' game development), and then yet again when they went 'all in' on VR.

DOTA2 releasing into a multi-year 'beta' was definitely an encapsulation of how far their focus had already shifted away from game development, even with the full details of their hardware/system plans not yet known.

Attached: meT0Ibs.jpg (4032x1960, 453K)

new depth of valve hate circlejerk patheticness

When they launched the steam market

Nah

When they launched Steam, they were never good to begin with but they killed gaming with Steam, digital distribution, and all the negatives that come with it. They even brainwashed people into thinking they saved PC.
Based

TF2 hats.

Oh hi Randy
Forget you got BTFO’d about those lies years ago or something?

Demo/Soldier swappable items update to TF2.

Attached: 1552514956869.jpg (1197x1447, 166K)

It really wasn't this moment but I remember seeing some of the work in progress pics of L4D3 in Source 2 and then everything going silent about it. It's a real shame to see how far Valve has fallen