How do you go from this...?

How do you go from this...?

Attached: Rival-Friends Platinum.png (2430x1370, 683K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vNOykVetu9s
youtube.com/watch?v=bI2WzOONl7w
youtube.com/watch?v=kBdp_dLEdqU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

...to this?!

Attached: Rival-Friends XY.png (1590x1090, 614K)

Barry wasn't fucking around

To this?

Attached: jakOI6m.png (978x648, 1.64M)

I wanna fuck Mira

>Tierno's Roserade
Always hilarious.

Remember when they used to give us whole new areas to explore post game? And then in XY they give you a small town

Are those midgame teams or postgame teams.

There is no postgame team for those guys.
These posts comparing the two are unfair to say the least.

>cherrypicking platnium, the hardest and most well rounded game in the series

Reminder that HGSS had teams that were just as bad as yet everyone sucks that games dick as the best in the series.

Endgame and postgame rematches.

>It's been 5 years
WHERE THE FUCK IS IT GAY FREAK?!?!?!?

youtube.com/watch?v=vNOykVetu9s

Attached: 1464357468902.png (625x468, 107K)

I'd like to cordially remind you and everyone else in this thread that the indisputed best Pokemon game is and forever will be Crystal. Anyone who disagrees may direct their complaints to my big fat hairy ass.

that's because HGSS is a gen 2 game and they mostly just copypasted the teams from the originals

>These posts comparing the two are unfair

How is it unfair to point out that significant trainers from later in the game still don't have all their pokemon know 4 moves?

the stat trainers were so based

This. Shame we didn't get something along the lines of Mind Crystal

Why does Game Freak hurt me?

Its a gen 4 remake, designed to fix the problems of the original, and yet it didnt.

People give ORAS shit for the same thing yet HGSS gets off scotfree despite its terrible, terrible level curves.

I should not be fighting level 22 zubats 7 badges in.

I love Gen 2

Attached: IceLeader.png (784x360, 27K)

I can accept enemy trainers having less moves when it fits a theme.
Like the Gamblers in Platinum and Let's go who have only one move, a OHKO move.
Back to your point however, I don't care for comparing Pokemon versions as each is different.
If you haven't grasped that yet then you might not be cut out for this world.

>tfw remakes didn't fix this
I can only play gen2 these days with hacks.

>People give ORAS shit for the same thing
people give oras shit for being absolutely barren in content, not adding emerald content and being easier than the originals

Well at least the Johto games have been receiving more retrospective criticism in recent years for being a half-assed retread of Kanto. Better late than never I suppose.

Attached: 1549642541045.jpg (800x450, 144K)

>Crystal
You cannot capture a Mareep so you have to wait for the RNG egg to hopefully get a Pichu or Elekid, or wait until west of Ecruteak for a Magnemite for an early electric type.

Wasn't Pryce the seventh gym leader? What the fuck

The weird thing to me is also that people at GameFreak greenlit the fact that there's an Ice Gym Leader for the 7th Gym in the game, between the one for Steel & Dragon type. Even just excluding the theory/fact that Ice is the worst type in the game with at the time the worst/smallest pool of good Pokémon out there, its just that every starter is more or less advantaged against Bryce. His Ace literally is weak to all 3.

So basically "I don't care" is your best defense? You should work for Gamefreak.

Same, vanilla gen 2 is a chore even when factoring in HGSS. Authenticity isnot always for the best, the fact GF did nothing to fix the terrible level scaling of GSC just feels lazy more then anything.

>I can accept enemy trainers having less moves when it fits a theme.
But the XY trainers don't fit a theme and when they come close they still drop the ball by having unrelated moves.
>Like the Gamblers in Platinum and Let's go who have only one move, a OHKO move.
And this is your only example.
>I don't care for comparing Pokemon versions as each is different
Why? It's the same franchise and both Platinum and XY are mainline games of similar formats.

>crystal
>with that pokemon distribution
>with that level distribution

I just don't see how it is much of an issue.
Barry's team already has pretty bad moves as it is.
You could easily drop one and he would be no better or worse.
If anything you clutter up his AI's choice.

You were attempting to make a branching path where you could fight him before the steel/fighting gyms, but literally nobody did that

>People give ORAS shit
And for good reasons, HGSS at least improved some things even if it was very minimal, not made it worse

Attached: Brawly teams.png (989x1604, 227K)

I remember Brawly giving me trouble but didn't need to neuter him

Marley a cute

Am I the only one who sees 0 change,
Hell at least his original and remake appearance acknowledged that someone may at one point capture a sabeleye.
Knock off isn't the best move but it's better than only fighting type moves.

The only thing that’s significantly different is Knock off is a good move now which GF probably didn’t even pay attention too

Two to three levels makes a difference early game.

on the other hand, gen 6 knock-off is actually a good move that prevents his entire team from being hardcountered by the sableye in the cave

ideal situation for brawly would be
Machop lv 16
-Karate Chop
-Rock Tomb
-Bulk Up
-Seismic Toss

Meditite lv 16
Focus Punch
Substitute
Bulk Up
Confusion

Makuhita Lv 19, Sitrus Berry
Arm Thrust
Knock Off
Bulk Up
Fake Out

no easy hardcounters and have to actually pay a bit of attention to what he's doing

I'd agree with you but not in this case, since the gym can be skipped anyway the whole argument we are taking part in is moot but for the sake of indulging an argument I will make it simple.
Most trainers in ORAS are one level lower than usual up until around gym 7 so you will be lower level due to gaining less exp, and in Emerald you get extra trainers to fight in comparison to the original so you will in turn be higher levelled for the fight.

I do not remember a single one of these people, there were rivals besides Barry in Gen 4?

>0 changes
>lower levels
>didn't keep Meditite from Emerald but of course kept Machop because KANTOOOOOOO
>No Sitrus Berry
Based blind retard
You can't even catch Sableye in ORAS because they separated the two area so knock off is pointless there

nah, they were the battle frontier guys you could encounter for a limited coop in side-areas
barry was the only real rival, which is okay because team-wise he is still the best rival the series ever had

Pryce is the fifth gym leader. The game's pacing is godawful if you fight Chuck and Jasmine first, shoving all of Team Rocket to the very end.

Objective best order:
Falkner > Team Rocket > Bugsy > Whitney > Morty > Team Rocket > Pryce > Chuck > Jasmine > Team Rocket > Clair

Kockoff is a base 65 move that hits flying types for neutral damage and psychic types super effective

and if you're holding an item it becomes a very respectable 98 base power

No, Pryce is the seventh gym leader.
Unless Blaine is the 5th gym leader also.

Attached: Sequence break.jpg (156x139, 6K)

Blaine is sixth, but that's beside the point.
I gave a logical reason why Pryce should be faced fifth, because the pacing simply doesn't work at all if he's seventh.

when will GF do something like this?

Attached: BB2_E4_1.jpg (659x602, 76K)

If you're using something Taillow ,Wingull or Abra Arm Thrust would be enough to devastate them because they are frail as fuck, and very rarely you see held items being used that early on.
It's good coverage but it really doesn't help much in this case

Any good ROM hacks that have crazy hard battles and sheit?

actually by that time you have access to a few oran berries, which folks tend to save-up for gym leaders
knock-off would be ungodly effective against those
wingull can tank an arm-thrust and ralts most certainly can also tank it

Look up the Drayano hacks

Is there a picture that compares the teams of the strongest Trainer of each game? Like Blue-Red-Steven(or was it Wally?), etc.

...to this?

Attached: 1550291703036.jpg (491x740, 58K)

haven't updated for USUM

Attached: Champions_strongest.jpg (1572x2594, 1.48M)

Is that the hard mode of B2W2?

also final battles
Note for ORAS: you get a god damn mega rayquaza for that fight

Attached: final_battles.jpg (1600x6392, 2.59M)

no it's the hard mode of BlazeBlack/Volt White 2
some of the more popular difficulty hacks

>None of Kukui's pokémon hut level 70
>Diantha with four fucking pokémon
Pathetic

it's a bit misleading not to include USUM
Hau actually has a decent team in that

Attached: Hau.png (767x698, 142K)

I don't get why people want so much content in those games when they are just $40 and gamefreak is such a small company. They should be $60 at least.

>I just don't see how it is much of an issue.
You do work for Gamefreak then.

Diantha is for Battle Chateau, not champion battle. Whoever made it is an actual retard. Her champion battle has 6 Pokemon.

I found Kukui to be "harder" than cynthia
That tauros

So it isn't an issue then?

Diantha having only 4 might have something to do with it being a Battle Chateau fight but I don't remember enough about that shitty building

They were temporary companions that you could find and team up with around the game. Did you not explore in Platinum?

Attached: Marley_anime.png (1280x720, 2.19M)

So the same small company could do Battle Frontier and PWT decade ago but it is outrageous to ask them to do it now?

it's the champion at their most powerful, it's not really my fault that the battle chateau is literally the only place where you can do a rematch is it?
otherwise I had to include Diantha's much lower leveled team

>If anything you clutter up his AI's choice.
Are you being serious is this a sarcastic post mimicking fanboys that defend Gamefreak's lack of effort?

Attached: 1501990197596.jpg (471x547, 38K)

What the fuck kind of a reasoning is this? These games had a lot more content in the past.

If you haven't grasped how this is an issue then you might not be cut out for this world.

yeh that Tauros is pretty great, heck even the choice of ability is good because unfortunately it doesn't actually learn all that many moves that work off sheer force (otherwise a top tier ability)

GF is "such a small poor company" is a /vg/ meme

If an enemy has a range of killing you with a weaker move they always choose that move.
Which means if you heal they will use that move or the move simply will not kill as it is a range kill.
It's a choice the AI always makes.

I don't see it though.
How is an enemy having Areial Ace on their infernape going to bother me?

People always complain about friendly rivals but Barry is tied with Gen IV Silver as the best rival. I suppose it's because he has an actual personality and gimmick besides "Tells you how great you are". I love the fact he's essentially got ADHD. The part where he literally yanks you out of the E4 doorway was pure kino.

In RBY and RSE you got literally nothing

I liked Hau, and how he always got pissed off whenever he lost. In the end he's all passive aggressive against you, I thought that was great.

there's people who play a pokemon game and actually use potions?

RBY had a dungeon with Mewtwo in it. Sure it would take you 10 minutes to do but it did exist.

Blue and Steven have the best teams

>Barry's team
>bad moves
You've never played Pokemon, have you?

Attached: 1343591428121.jpg (480x360, 23K)

Barry is a friendly rival, but the emphasis is still on the rival part
he genuinely works towards being your better and doesn't hold back just because you're friends, both in story and in gameplay

i guess flamethrower on infernape is kinda fucking dumb, doesn't he have fire punch?

more moves isn't always better than less moves, for instance there is not a single situation where it's better for that staraptor to go for steel wing instead of close combat. By giving it steel wing you're really just giving the AI a chance to fuck up. Same thing for infernape and aerial ace.

Attached: 10302-Shiny-Mega-Sableye.png (284x300, 80K)

In never played platinum. It was one of the few ones I missed out on. I thought diamond and pearl were not that great so I didn’t really care back them. Now though everybody says it was great. My younger brother said I could have his old platinum if I could find it in all of his junk. Is it worth it to hunt it down?

Fire punch sucks compared to flamethrower especially for infernape.

Why is it dumb? Infernape has the same Atk and Sp.Atk

Platinums ok. Most of the people sucking it are sinnoh babbies. For me its still least memorable game with the shittiest pokemon designs

i thought he was more physical based, nvm then

why doesnt he have more atk, he's a fighting fire monkey

Flamethrower is more powerful and Infernape can utilize it better.

Staraptor should have had Brave Bird instead of AA
Roserade sludge bomb instead of poison jab
Heracross could have had something other than the mostly superfluous night slash (EQ pe)
And Infernape would have been better off as a pure physical attacker with flare blitz and close combat and changing shadow claw for stone edge

other than that it's pretty good

Yes. Platinum saved Gen IV and fixed pretty much everything wrong with D&P. There is honestly zero reason to play the originals.

It's in the OP, everyone can see it.
I'll run you through a few bad moves to help you out.
>Steel wing
It's useless.
>Grasswhistle
No sleep powder?
>Poison Jab
>Aqua Jet only STAB on Floatzel
No Waterfall/Aqua tail?
>Rest Snorlax
It only works with Sleep talk.
>FOCUS BLAST
He actually gets rid of Close Combat in his final fight, every other fight before it has Close Combat, it's so fucking stupid.
>Areial Ace
There is no situation in where you would use that move, use Thunder Punch.

Barry's Infernape doesn't have the Iron Fist ability, so Fire Punch is already pretty bad choice.

>It only works with Sleep talk.
nah snorlax is bulky enough he can get away with rest, especially because in single player most people don't use boosting moves

Yeah, that always confused me. I started off with Chimchar in Gen 4 using physical attacks, and then I realized that his special attack was a great deal higher.

Infernape does have flare blitz which would be the better choice

I wouldn't consider some shitty side mode as her definitive battle

>Staraptor should have had Brave Bird instead of AA
Aerial Ace is a no-miss move without recoil damage unlike Brave Bird.
>Roserade sludge bomb instead of poison jab
Roserade is a special attacker.
>Heracross could have had something other than the mostly superfluous night slash (EQ pe)
It's coverage against Psychic types which it's weak against.
>And Infernape would have been better off as a pure physical attacker with flare blitz and close combat
Infernape's Physical and Special offensive stats are the same, and Flamethrower and Focus Blast are more powerful moves without risk of contact affects, lowered stats, or recoil.

Brave Bird is also twice the power of AA.
Yes Roserade is a special attacker that's his point.
MEGAHORN IS THE COVERAGE AGAINST PSYCHIC TYPES
Focus Blast has 70 accuracy, Close Combat has 100.

Don't you just love how they left that theme in the demo data mine to trick people.

>putting weaker physical moves on roserade and infernape when they can have stronger projectile moves instead
The other anons were right. Every time you post you prove you're either a GF fanboy or just someone only pretending to know how pokemon works.

>Flare Blitz
>weaker
>than
>flamethrower

...in what universe

also
>sludge bomb
>physical

I actually like Hugh the most. I like that he's got this other goal from yours, he doesn't want to challenge the league and become Champion at all, but still challenges the gyms to push himself further and become stronger. He's a "friendly rival" in that he's literally your friend and supports you on your journey to become Champion but he still carries this edge and (justified) anger with him until the very end. I like that the game doesn't try to present his rashness and anger as something outright bad. Yeah sometimes bad people do bad things and it's okay to be angry at them for doing so, just don't go off the deep end. I also love how his storyline brings up the point that Pokémon are basically slaves to the Pokéballs, expending on the themes brought up as Team Plasma's front in the first Black and White. That Purrloin went from loving family pet to two years as a shadow ninja operative for an evil team bent on world domination just because of who was holding its Pokéball. Reminds me of the snatched Pokémon from Coliseum/XD

The green haired chick is mandatory anyway.

It played at the Battle Maison in ORAS

then she'd still have the weakest team overall due to having no rematch

>flare blitz on infernape

Attached: f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg (680x680, 85K)

Hugh sucked dick and was a whiny brat. His frequent tangents weren't endearing and his party always abysmal.

Having a weaker team is less insulting than having four pokemon

exactly what is infernape going to tank anyways that would make it want to preserve health?

even then they probably don't even 2HKO it unless they are overleveled

Attached: badges.png (256x192, 19K)

I did that. Jasmine was the hardest gym leader.

Spoiler that shit all you want but that doesn't stop him from being a terrible opponent with only 4 bad pokemon throughout the main game.

I've OHKO'd the Emerald version with a lv 18 Taillow
Ralts could most certainly 2KO it even through sitrus

Two people have responded to that post now thinking the user was reccomending poison jab over sludge bomb when it clearly reads the other way around.
Their ineptitude for reading has cause two people arguing the same thing on the same side.

?
He has three until victory road where he has 5, then gets his final after the game.

Jasmine has never been hard.

I think you're underestimating both the value of HP and Infernape's potential resilience. Also, it would be a waste of the AI's healing items.

I'm fairly sure Baz has 0 healing items.

I won't deny he was an easy Trainer to defeat but I still like his personality as a rival most out of all of them, except maybe HG/SS's take on Silver

Also dat theme youtube.com/watch?v=bI2WzOONl7w

>those HP, DEF and SP.DEF
>potential resilience
>especially in end game where Earthquake and other 100+ BP moves are common
It isn't made for thanking anything anyway and Flare Blitz is a good choice on it because Infernape is build to OHKO most of its match-ups.

Attached: 36y4ttr556.png (463x314, 16K)

>Tfw we don't live in the timeline where the Pokémon anime changes protagonist with every new season
youtube.com/watch?v=kBdp_dLEdqU

Last time i played Taillow was around lvl 16, Wing attack brought it to yellow, he recovered a bit from Sitrus and went from Bulk up so the next wouldn't kill but his Arm Thrust surely would have swept my entire team then i got a crit

It's becaus le more people have been pushing that Gen2 was the best and that everything after was garbage.

USUM is unironically the hardest game.

If they had changed protagonists every season, then Ash would actually be extremely well-liked as opposed to completely loathed.
>you never got the episode where Ash is older and returns to help the new protagonist
>you never got the later episode where Ash had finally found his dad, and both of them help the newest protagonist
>you never got the "Forever Red" episode when all protagonists come back to help

we could have the protagonists coming together against rainbow team rocket or something

but no
ash is 10 forever

imagine how hype the mt.silver episode would've been

>playing emerald during springtime
It just works.

Somewhat related, did you fuckers know about the customizable PC wallpaper? Because I sure as fuck didn't until yesterday.

Attached: Hoenn_Walda_Room_E.png (213x160, 6K)

What pokemon are you using

Torchic, Taillow, Ralts, and Shroomish.
I have an Maril for a HM slave. I don't know who else I'll get other than Aron and Spheal.

Thank you!

I'm using a Treecko, Taillow, Ralts at the moment. The plan at the moment is to get a Solrock and Grimer. I was planning on getting a Feebas but my battery is dead and I don't think I can make the necessary blocks to evolve it.

If you let the difficulty of a children's pet collection game upset you, you need to have intercourse once.

Literally never. Half the people can't even beat the normal Elite Four. Now you're asking them to give them competitive-tier movesets? They wouldn't even get passed the first gym, and would bitch about it constantly.

I liked his dynamic with the player acting as an ally against Team Plasma and how he had a personal stake in it. Hugh's plight helped round out Team Plasma a bit more too since he grows to forgive the ones trying to repent.

Am I an asshole if I want to start Sword or Shield with a Skarmory instead of any of the starters they offer? It's literally my most favorite pokemon, and always on rotation if available.

Skarmory would wreck every early game, its stats are too good. But honestly, do whatever you want. Great taste by the way.

Yeah, I know, that's the problem. I don't want it to be a complete cakewalk, but I just don't really care about any of the new starters aside from the grass type, and I'm only holding off on writing it off until I see its evolutions.

>mixed attackers
cringe

>It's unfair to compare that the later games have literally no postgame battles
If anything that's not him being unfair, that's the point.

this is v not vp

jasmine makes me hard

just makes me hungry

Attached: 250px-229Houndoom.png (250x250, 49K)

also this is Barry's pre-E4 team

Attached: barry.png (767x636, 68K)

>no Team boss that hard-counters everyone making generic sweeper team with an unbreakable wall AI

>gym doesn't even have trainers to fight
>main pokemon steelix has 4 weakness, two of which come from starter types
>hard

Steelix has no 4x weaknesses only a 4x resistance to rock

*4 weaknesses
My bad.

>implying houndoom ever got to see jasmine
lol

Attached: aaaaaa.jpg (1000x607, 36K)

I used to feel bad for Serena and Calem because no matter how hard they tried, they can't become the MC.She actually got her pokemon to really high levels (though, this is mostly because of X/Y's high level curve, you end with a champ at level 68).
But literally why do Vaporeon, Altaria, and Chesnaught only have 3 moves? It's funny with Tierno's Rosarade that only knows petal dance, but it makes no sense for her.

she was as surprised as you when it happened

Attached: jas_doom.jpg (223x268, 21K)

Jasdoom sounds like a cool name

Attached: 1551118820354.jpg (990x1109, 174K)

It doesn't matter what the game says the order is. The fact is that you can go either left or right after Morty, and going right is the objectively superior option for the game's pacing.
Going left first puts a huge five-gym gap between Slowpoke Well and the Team Rocket hideout, then puts the Team Rocket hideout and the radio tower back-to-back, which is absolutely retarded.

I remember the battle with Blue in Sliph Co always wrecked me as a kid.

Attached: 1526735820083.png (784x581, 51K)

What the hell were they thinking with Roserade?

>3 moves on LV70 Pokèmon, and one that gets pretty good moves due to its typing
I am fucking triggered.

a Nidoking with Rock Slide and Ice Beam sweeps that team

I love that Nidoking learns so many damn moves
Not the best of mons, but a real jack of all trades

>It's going to be stuck using Petal Dance until it dies anyway, so there's no point giving it anything else! [laughs]

why the fuck is exeggcute giant