What killed it? Was it really hbox? Jigglypuff? Ice climbers?

What killed it? Was it really hbox? Jigglypuff? Ice climbers?

Attached: 1552006923664.jpg (1600x800, 249K)

Compfags killed it.

Ultimate killed it.

but it's not dead

It would hurt less if you'd just accept it.

Old age

It may not necessarily be dead, but I think it's only going to be downhill from when EVO dropped it.

this

Attached: 1552442492509.png (804x804, 638K)

Hardware requirements alone are huge barrier for new players meaning that the scene is unsalvageable in the long run, and now that Ultimate is at least somewhat decent comp smash game, majority of melee audience will have no problems moving on.

>CRTs disappearing
>old hardware
>game is expensive
>"personality players" washed up and starting to retire, slashing viewership
>Puff is an oppressive, boring meta
>older than most Smash players
>Ultimate wasn't a better Melee, but it was close enough to attract major attention

I think another thing to note is that there's a new generation playing Ultimate as their first serious Smash game. Because up until now, most people just stuck with Melee and weathered out Brawl / Smash 4 for like 10 years. For these younger players there's zero precedent to return to an older game.

Attached: hbox_genocide.jpg (1038x1049, 1.14M)

Because fuck bug infested CRTs.

All you need is a wii and a crt

It was, 100% carried by the 5 to players. Once they stopped trying, it was over

>Leave CRT unattended outside competition space for 5 minutes
>Someone calls the bomb squad

Every tournament for the past year has just been rooting for the underdog, then watching them get their shit slapped by the same top tiers, or even worse, an 8 minute timeout to puff. It ain't hype anymore, and people are moving on.

Stale meta. The game's been out for almost 20 years and while no one in the community will ever admit it they're starting to get tired of it. The only person who isn't tired of it is Hbox and that's because he's winning most of them.

pretty much all the reasons right here. Its a bunch of issues but I think the main one is top players retiring. Less and less people to watch, mango takes the game less and less serious every year, no one wants to play against puff... ehh. Mango is the one that upsets me the most. He's washed up as fuck.

Attached: 1512703376048.jpg (575x472, 199K)

Why do people evel play party games """professionally"""?

money and fun

All fighting games get replaced by their newer entries, it's been that way forever. It's alarmingly autistic that it took this long to replace Melee.
Didn't they release 3 games since then?

Melee was happy accident that had tight mechanics and competitive depth. It was lost on Brawl and Sm4sh because it was unintented and Sakurai "fixed" what made party game serious business in sequels, until Ultimate started taking competitive aspect seriously.

sakurai made brawl specifically as a party game. sm4sh just sucked

I know you are just shitposting but the game is still alive and well.

You are just shitposting.

>no u

Attached: 1540177394684.jpg (733x745, 374K)

It's not dead. But Puff it's pretty boring.

Honestly it's kinda impressive how underwhelmingly mediocre has Ultimate been doing lately. It's better than Smash 4, no question, but it's not that good either.