Ridge Racer

What would you say is the best and most content/feature rich Ridge Racer? What would you say is the worst?

Attached: ps1_ridge_racer-120314.jpg (300x300, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9lFj0UoZWOQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Worst are the psp ones, fight me

Best would probably be RRV or later. I know people talk up RR4 and it has style for miles, but a huge part of it is just fucking padding (read: having to intentionally come in less than 1st place to unlock other cars- with multiple full career mode playthroughs!).

Worst is RR Revolution, it's just an RR1 expansion pack with a new, lame track, worse music, and the intro announcer distinctly cut off because he's supposed to say RIDGE RACER TWO like the arcade cabinet but they named it Revolution instead.

Why is that? I've been playing Ridge Racer 2 on my Vita and I've been enjoying it a lot. I admit that I'm very new to the series though. Are the others a lot better?

>having to intentionally come in less than 1st place to unlock other cars
Wait you have to come in second or third or something like that?

>Wait you have to come in second or third or something like that?
Yup, and you need to do it for each championship with each race team/difficulty combination. There's 320 fucking cars and honestly most of them aren't even memorable and never show up again, and some of the series' mainstays like the Fiera (original #3 F/A/#4 RT Ryukyu) and the various Soldat/Rivelta devil cars aren't in RR4 at all.

I like 7 for its options, I suppose. Though the drifting had reached a real nadir of casualness with 6 and 7.

>content/feature rich

the worst are definitely the original one, Revolution and the Vita one without the DLCs

>320 fucking cars
That sounds like way too many for most of them to actually matter.

What makes the drifting casual?

Yeah the Vita one seems like a joke. 3 cars and 5 tracks is ridiculous. Even with all the DLC the game just feels devoid of content.

>3 cars and 5 tracks is ridiculous
Wait I think it was the other way around. Either way I wanted more out of it.

4 has a lot more tracks than V though

Drifting in Ridge Racer became trivial starting with V and getting simpler and simpler since. You just let go of the accelerator and turn and the car slides effortlessly.

By 6 and 7 it basically guided you around the turn, you didn’t even have to adjust the angle. It’s kind of a series staple now but it’s overly simplified as well.

What would you say is the best and most content/feature rich Ridge Racer?

Ridge Racer 6 by far, it's ironic that the last great RR was a Xbox exclusive. It has what I believe the best soundtrack, car selection and variety and exploration is ridiculously big and online had a small but persistant Community, people would communicate simply by making the pacman icon blink, it was so simple and I miss it.

>What would you say is the worst?

Vita Ridge racer, that goes without saying

Does Ridge Racer have the best liveries of any racing game?

Attached: [rare hero intensifies].png (1920x1080, 3.51M)

I bought that game and all its DLC a few weeks ago because I needed another Ridge Racer after 3D was starting to get a little thin.

I'm so sorry user. I legit think that game isn't worth the money. There's just so little to do in it. Even with all the DLC it's just 9 tracks, right?

I keep wanting to play “Orbital Rock”, someone stop me.

Weirdly I picked it up from Unbounded (despite owning 7 for a good while before that).

I think it’s 10.

I won’t lie, though, drifting around in the Daytona Hornet is quirky.

Its worst crime is that it runs at 30 fps.

How is Unbounded? When I looked at it I almost thought I clicked a Burnout vid instead. It looks like a fusion of Burnout and RR. Is it actually good? I honestly just want more RR and as a newcomer to the series I kinda want to take it all in.

Unbounded is NOT a Ridge Racer game by any stretch. It’s an entirely different animal that just happened to have the Ridge Racer name.

That said, it’s a decent racing game in its own right. The controls are probably the worst part, though (there is no overarching control philosophy at all, every car handles differently and requires a different approach, to the point it’s just confusing instead of complex).

>Drifting in Ridge Racer became trivial starting with V and getting simpler and simpler since.

Thats true but you could only get the best times off of dynamic drifting cars since they were much faster and you absolutely needed to master linking your ultimate charges if you wanted the slightest chance at winning online. Not as pure as old RR but it required insane skill.

The easy drifting cars were next to useless at high levels

To elaborate, you might drive a car in one race and think “okay, I think I understand drifting” but then choose a different car in another race and it doesn’t respond the same way at all.

Usually racing games have a single control model that you then tweak to give cars nuanced controls (some weigh more so you have to start drifts earlier, others might be snappy so you don’t drift until you’re deep into the turn, etc.) but the player always knows the general rule for how to control any car. RRU has none of that and what you learn for one car may be useless when you go to a different car.

But if you get past that it’s a crazy racing game where you can drive through virtually everything at top speed.

Thanks user. I might try if I can find it cheap somewhere.

The best RR is R4. It has the most stylish artstyle of any racing games. The jazzy late 90s driving-in-evening artstyle holds up even today. The game still looks good, the menus is timeless, and the soundtracks are stellar.

That's said, while the handling is still fun and snappy to control, the racing part itself is quite aged. It's not a racing game with where you race against AIs, because there's no AIs. You essentially just racing against the clock in order to be the first. The other cars on the track are just hindrance rather than opponents.

Also the 320 cars is a meme. They think that having multiple liveries each with their own stats constitute for having different cars.

>It has the most stylish artstyle of any racing games.
Need for Speed 3 has gotta be up there, too.

Is there any advantage to AT transmission over Manual in RR?

In single player at least (for the ones I've played), no. You don't lose enough speed/RPMs to downshift when drifting and otherwise you're just giving yourself more work when things like elevation changes fuck with the RPMs.

But I stick with it anyway.

So how does ultimate charge work?

The 3d gimmick in the 3ds version is pretty good. I liked it on first person view.

Game has mad slowdown, though.

Fine otherwise.

What happens when you drift after a nitrous charge is over but while you're still traveling above your top speed. It refills the nitrous tank faster (usually indicated by a red field inside the nitrous meter).

Bump.

Ah ok. It's a lot harder than I thought to get those consistently. I guess I will get better the more I play. And yeah RR3D has crazy slowdown. Messes me up a bit during some races.

To truly use Ultimate Charge effectively, you have to be familiar with how long it takes for a specific charge level to expire and try to time it with the layout of the course.

youtu.be/9lFj0UoZWOQ

best jam coming through

Attached: pbspace.gif (80x69, 31K)

Yeah during my last racing I was experimenting doing just that. I still have to learn the courses, but after some time I sure I will get it down.

Depending on the course you could find yourself using nitrous in awkward places if you're shooting for Ultimate Charges so it may not always be effective to go for them.