Sonic Adventure 2 is seen as bad game, laughable compared to Mario 64

>Sonic Adventure 2 is seen as bad game, laughable compared to Mario 64
>However, people are still fascinated by that game, still talk about it nowaday, and are still waiting for a true Sonic Adventure 3.
Well, what is it Yea Forums? What make SA2 so special?

Attached: Rouge3.webm (1000x562, 2.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qwovjqKWTi8
youtube.com/watch?v=ockHHFfZ3b8
youtu.be/Qo609jN95fI
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/454159272/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/451224493/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/450803053/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/453035430/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/452699540/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/452841537/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/452893757/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/453009395/
steamcommunity.com/app/584400/discussions/0/1836811737981510658/
youtube.com/watch?v=D63gAK1GuN4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first Sonic game on a Nintendo console.
Coincidence??

>seen as laughable
fuck off zoomer
LITERALLY all you need to do is look at the reviews from the time, it was very well received, it just hasn’t aged well

hint: it's a good game

it hasn't aged well in a lot of aspects but it's still has a lot of good elements.

>compared to Mario 64
Why the need to compare them?
There can be two good games and a game can be enjoyed despite having obvious flaws.

You may be on to something. I never had a Sega system, so SA2 was my first Sonic game. Even though I can't ignore its flaws, I still love it. The Chao garden and emblems gave it a lot of replayability, even though only a handful of levels were actually worth replaying to begin with. I still think a real go at a Sonic Adventure 3 would be great. They've had a lot of years and feedback to learn which play styles work, and what to do with to make the ones that don't more fun. And a brand new Chao garden with new AI and things to do would be worth it to me alone.

It has more soul than mario, but nintendies can’t admit it

>Why the need to compare them?
hu? Because they are direct concurrent

>It has more bat tits than mario, but nintendies can’t admit it

Solid varied gameplay, with lots of post game content including a fun pet simulator.

Poorly written, over the top story, with a memorable cast of characters.

Great ost.

SA2 is the only good Sonic game.

>this barely functioning mess is better than the massively popular classic games which were universally praised until the memegrumps said they were bad
Okay

>however people still talk about it nowadays

>however

I mean mario 64 is the most speedrun game, has multiple glitch channels. daily streams on twitch.

The best things about it are its unique atmosphere and its eclectic soundtrack. The story is bad but never for a moment boring. Decent gameplay too, even outside of the Sonic/Shadow levels. It also has a shit ton of replayability because of the mission mode.

Attached: 1551164012323.jpg (869x993, 85K)

Chao Garden

>Watches YouTube "ecelebs", implies that everyone else watches them as well.

Okay indeed.

What's so great about it?

Sonic Adventure has always been trash and 3d Sonic is an abomination. You already got Sonic Adventure 3; it's called Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).

>Sonic Adventure 2 is seen as bad game, laughable compared to Mario 64
Youtubers being controversial for views does not a truth make

BIG

Sonic Team didn't get the memo that Sonic barely makes any sense as it is and decided to make something half parts cheesy and serious and it somehow works

youtube.com/watch?v=qwovjqKWTi8

No? That's Rouge

Attached: 1546546603613.png (383x419, 228K)

BOUNCY

desu SA1 did most stuff better. it just needs to not have forced fucking froggy sections.

I'd take edgelord animu stories over try hard joke teletubbies we-write-characters-off-of-what-we-read-on-wikipedia stories

Attached: 1538406984928.jpg (1024x1024, 141K)

Because it's a great game that held up incredibly for the console/time it came out. The only "Bad" parts of the game are Tails/Eggman Don't you fuckers say Knuckles/Rouge are 'Hard" you literal brainlets. At most their levels take 10 Minutes. but even with Tails/Eggman once you can figure perfect their momentum they're still quite quick levels.

Is it not universally agreed that Adventure 2 was a step down from Adventure 1? It did everything worse than its predecessor besides performance (irrelevant outside dreamcast ver), not having a weird forced fishing minigame, and Chao Garden.

>your yfw when Freedom Planet or Sonic Mania doesn't have a Chaos Garden

Attached: 4716746729a7827850555l.jpg (500x376, 29K)

you got me, the game is trash and i dont see how people can like it

I can.

Attached: Rouge1.webm (1000x562, 2.82M)

Sonic Adventure is an embarrassment, only zoomers and the severely autistic sect of boomers like those games. The only way to enjoy it is ironically. I'm glad Mania came onto the scene, I hope it keeps up the pace although relying less on rehashing old levels and nostalgia bait.
If they make a Sonic Adventure 3, which they should because there is a niche audience for it, branding wise they should call Tail's Adventure 2 or something and use the autistic little soap opera furry characters instead of Sonic so it doesn't continue to tarnish Sonic's wholesome christian name.

Attached: 1535791201949.png (672x787, 979K)

What are some great Sonic Mania mods?

Post more Rouge.

Attached: Rouge2.webm (1000x562, 2.9M)

Attached: 1551736850557.jpg (695x979, 56K)

I...i just don't know. It seems so wrong

Attached: 13589745682132.jpg (500x413, 110K)

>boing boing boing
what were they thinking?

>This guy again

>only zoomers like X 20 year old game
Are you retarded?

>tfw my 10 years old nephew love Star Wars Galactic Battleground so much.

its story appealed to children's autism
also gamecubebabbs are the worst breed of a tendie

>can't read
Typical adventure autist, immediately sperges out in a fit of rage can't even read the words right next to it

Attached: 1542950626124.png (443x455, 129K)

>people played SA2 for the story

>Behold, the true power I possess
>(proceeds to get fucked)

Getting 100% was fucking hard. Never managed to do it.

>Behold, the ultimate life form!
>a fucking hedgehog
Masaka~

Attached: 65E9-NQi0Kfy9WuO part1.webm (800x600, 2.95M)

>when rouge drowns

Attached: my fucking cock.gif (636x345, 1.96M)

youtube.com/watch?v=ockHHFfZ3b8
>You're not even good enough to b-
>"I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS." before he's even finished.
Best part is that it was apparently unintentional due to lazy dubbing.

>Best part
youtu.be/Qo609jN95fI

Megamix Mania, it's currently a small wip demo but it aims to recreate the famous sonic megamix hack.

i never liked SA2 as much as SA1

This happened

Attached: Shadow is still misunderstood.png (599x855, 924K)

Attached: Shadow.jpg (500x741, 176K)

>you wann go in my mother's room and play dress up?

Attached: god.png (1510x800, 1.46M)

bat tiddies

It's all Sonic fags had in the Dreamcast era and was hyped up at the time as the REAL Sonic comeback. It being half decent cemented it as a classic among starved, deranged fanatics. When you're starving, you'll eat anything.

Reality is, all 3D sonics were shit. If they weren't doing Sonic 1-3 numbers, they were failures.

People who were kids when they played it are now adults

no way!

>You already got Sonic Adventure 3; it's called Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).

now that's a shitty meme

Attached: sonic-totem.png (1736x2053, 3.78M)

>Those jiggle phsyics

almost as proeminant than Rondo Duo.

Chao Garden was overrated time filler BS

The only sonic game that was good. Bugs don't matter if it's fun.

AND HE SAID HIS DICK WAS
T H I S B I G

This seems like more work than doing it the traditional way

The negative reviews. Seriously, when dumb people like Projared or Egoraptor make half-baked analyses that basically just say "I have no patience for anything that isn't go-fast, also the story is stupid", dumb kids take their word as law and spread it across the Internet Older people who liked the game when they were kids, and kids who have weird retro taste, dig their heels in and share their opposing positive opinion on the games. Bad story opinions turn into low-camp appreciation, janky animations turn into laugh fests about impromptu dance sessions: the bad is viewed with rosy positivity.
Word of mouth spreads about the games, good or bad, and people either get interested in it or remember the fun times they had with it.

Attached: 9f7.png (500x420, 184K)

Attached: Rouge4.webm (632x480, 2.09M)

Attached: 65E9-NQi0Kfy9WuO part2.webm (800x600, 2.93M)

It had soul. A lot of people working on it really cared about the game even if some of the decisions weren’t the best and the final product was a bit messy. A little overhauling and some trimming of the fat could cause SA3 to be a great game hypothetically but my faith in the current Sonic Team is basically zero right now.

Those negative e celeb reviews are the best thing to happen to sa2. Now all you have to do to defend the game is just say "fucking Projared shill" or whatever to any criticism.

Obviously if you dont like mindlessly mashing A as Tails it could only be for that reason.

autism and what ever they put in tap water in usa

>Obviously if you dont like mindlessly mashing A
but that's every 3D action "games" since 2 gens.

And better post game, actual multiplayer, no loading within stages, better cutscene presentation (while not flawless), snappier controls for treasure hunt stages, etc.

No it really isn't, you still have both sides debating between the two. SA1's just more vocal.

I wish threads like these were banned. They're not adding anything. Stop.

Attached: every fucking day.jpg (396x382, 22K)

>We have this thread every day
no?

only 1/6th of the levels are bad in it and can be completely avoided if you play dark side

Attached: 1426722503493.png (616x796, 340K)

Im convinced that tails story in adventure 1 was just bs from tails perspective. The fact characters dialogue change in it so drastically between characters supports this idea

Attached: marcothumbs.jpg (200x200, 4K)

>speed stages that are kino are kino but youre left with duds like crazy gadget, sky rail, final chase, and pyramid cave
>shooting levels are ass, all of them. mission street and cosmic wall show promise, but thats about it
>emerald hunts: same deal as shooting. you get wide levels like pumpkin hill, but most of the time you are cramped in tight boring cramped corridors or fighting terrible gravity physics
>lost whimsical themes of sa1, a boring realistic city, a boring realistic desert, a boring realistic military base, everyone ending in boring space. the forest levels are decent tho but still feel dark and murky
>less music variety than sa1, but not bad
>fun multiplayer modes but doesnt last long

Its a pretty bad game. Even the best content isnt consistently good. Most of the time you are mashing X in a robot walker or walking way to fast in tiny boxes finding emeralds that DONT FUCKING LIGHT UP UNLESS ITS THE NEXT ONE IN ORDER. 4/10, suck my nuts if you rate it any higher

haha

Attached: Rouge5.webm (632x480, 2.94M)

might be a lucky coincidence, but it was foreshadowed on murals in S&K during the knuckles fight

Attached: download.jpg (305x165, 15K)

You had to have played it in its prime as a younger version of yourself. I wouldnt get too deep into it today, but as a kid it was fucking great.

Are the majority of Majora's Mask fans zoomers? The game is too old to be a zoomer game

Chaos the hedgehog is sonic adventure 3

who the fuck play Majora's mask?

Attached: Rouge6.webm (632x480, 2.73M)

>Poorly written

but probably one of the most memorable stories in a Sonic game. because who can remember how the HECK SA1 and Heroes go.

The one of the best 3d Sonic games (referring to just Sonic/Shadow sections) The gameplay was varied and most of levels were pretty good (though Mad Space sucked ass with how easily you could die). Plus the OST was banging

I remember Big the Cat, does that count?

You want me to copy and paste the sonic threads from the last 3 months. here is the last one
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/454159272/

?
How is that even the same thread?

Attached: Rouge7.webm (632x480, 2.55M)

>ancient evil awakens because Eggman is so shortsighted he can’t see past his nose, almost nukes station square
>not-so-ancient not-so-evil awakens because Eggman’s grandpa built the death star before he did and he ain’t having that shit
>robo-Sonic assimilates and turns into a giant shark
These plots aren’t exactly complex. You’d have to be pretty stupid to forget them even after only playing them once.

How did they get away with Rouge in SA2?
Also I wish there were more 3D games with playable Metal Sonic, he is all I played in multiplayer.

It's a Sonic thread retard.

>nooo, stop talking about video games!

Attached: Rouge8.webm (632x480, 2.87M)

I remember the bits with Chaos, I always found him cool.
Also he got the Tikal puss so he did well for himself.

MORE

boards.fireden.net/v/thread/451224493/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/450803053/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/453035430/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/452699540/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/452841537/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/452893757/
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/453009395/

Not many people owned a dreamcast i guess

>literally none of them are about Sonic Adventure 2
How can you fuck up this bad?

user this is a sonic thread, people just come here to jerk

Attached: 9dca1a8e68637d30395be1c0eae320d3.jpg (665x950, 171K)

>Spaces out his sentences
Oh, oh..........OHHHHHHHHHHH ok

Still best tamagochi simulator. Tomodachi life, sims 4 toddlers, digimon world next order and animal crossing don't even come close in complexity, cuteness and right idea how to bring tamagochi as close as its possible to literal baby raising simulator.

Its especially fucking cute when "evil" characters rise those and make them into little devils while teaching children that even bad guys have to take care of somebody they love.

Attached: edgehog.jpg (595x476, 42K)

It's ok user I too notice the tits bouncing.

06 was SA3

Do you how Sonic threads you make day fuck off.

Easy, it came out in 2001 when 0 fucks were given and people weren't as prudish as they are now.

>Do you how Sonic threads you make day fuck off.

Attached: 1437501065536.jpg (1000x746, 175K)

ENGLISH, MUTHAFUCKA! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!

>Do you how Sonic threads you make day fuck off

Attached: Grug.jpg (353x400, 20K)

Fuck off trolls

Few word good. Many bad!

Attached: hKQB_eKj_400x400.png (400x400, 56K)

>Obviously if you dont like mindlessly mashing A as Tails it could only be for that reason
Mindless? Someone never tried going for A rank.

What did Rouge mean by this

I think the thing that draws people to the Adventure games despite them being pretty flawed are that they had the most potential out of any 3D Sonic game to be a proper transition of the 2D gameplay into 3D. Even if it didn't quite reach it yet, they were still the closest Sonic Team ever got and they kept slowly getting farther away from it with every game afterwards.

>what makes sa2 so special?
nothing except for the fact that sonic has soap shoes, a cool running animation, and the game's first level

She wanted to be Vanilla but never will be.

The Sonic community has a disproportionately high amount of crazy obsessive nostalgiafriends. SA2 is their pinnacle. I'm sure a lot of people defend Heroes (admittedly the theme is legit) and Shadow as well.

Chao garden

You are now imagining Rouge, but with the Sonic Movie treatment.

Sonic Heroes has a lot a great music. But the theme song is one of the worst tracks in the series. Your tastes are all twisted.

The reason SA2 is so beloved, is for the fact that it's a great game, that's in need of some tuning. If they just fixed this here, and tweaked that there, then it would be one of the best games ever made. People love thinking about what have could been. Which is why SA3 is so desired. It's the hope that all the jank will be fixed, and the series can truly show how glorious it is.

>glorified tomogachi
please explain why the chao garden is fun
not because I want to argue with you but because I want you to demonstrate why its unnecessary

Not him, but it's really obvious. The chao garden taps into the human's nurturing instinct. People like caring for things. It's actually a brilliant the way it's integrated into the game, because it gives the player a reason to fight, beyond just selfishly wanting to end the story. They actually have something or someone to return to in between levels.

Watching something that you invested so much into, grow and become strong, is immensely satisfying.

You forgot Sonic Adventure, the closest game to the Classics.

No, that's Super Monkey

No, that's Nights into Dreams

no?

so the only people who like the chao garden are extremely lonely mentally handicapped people
okay

but there are hundreds of games that do the whole nurturing game better

yeah, like your mom's tits.

I was joking, but some critics have compared it to Sonic when it released (strangely)

Why do you need to be handicapped, in order to want to nurture something? So let me understand. Sonic can run a thousand miles and hour, down a street, destroying everyone's cars, and fighting robots. And that's completely healthy for the player. But wanting to nurture a defenseless creature means the player is handicapped.

You should have just deleted it.

>Because autistic Sonic fans talk about a game it must be good

Lol no

ewwww

oooooh THATS how you do abacus!

>someone so pathetic they seek attention by PAYING to have a username on Yea Forums calling anyone autistic
HAHAHAHHAHA

but how do you know where to put the black curved lines?

>tripfags

>Do you how Sonic threads you make day fuck off.

Attached: 1549477871733.png (474x711, 90K)

nevermind, I realised you simply block off the intersections vertically.

so how do you handle multiple double digit numbers in succession?

Beggin ya to engage in coitus

HO NO
ALPHA ONE
IS
DOWN

>filler
>the thing that was conpletely optional

Spoiler alert.
Sonic 3D games are all garbage.
t.Sonicfag with some actual taste

Most SA2fags are Battle Ninteniggers. Most of them played DX and think SA1 was worse than SA2 because of that.

Attached: Dreamcast Version is better retard.webm (1920x1080, 3M)

I can hear the GD ROM drive from here.

>Yes, I too want more Nintenigger Smash threads and smelly Melee threads
Fuck off nigger. Only threads that should be banned are Modern era Sonic games if they are 3D ones. Advance can stay, but the main attraction is and always should be Classic era.

Attached: 1504151699291.png (337x509, 9K)

You didn't show the Dreamcast version tho.

They removed Denuvo from Sonic Mania.

People only cared so they could complain about something on the internet:
steamcommunity.com/app/584400/discussions/0/1836811737981510658/

They didnt, you still cant play offline if you own it on steam.
Remove your ethernet cable, game wont boot up

you always could, retard.

Nope.
t. bought in release.

>Sonic Mania
>BallisticNG
>Demon's Tilt

Attached: 1469295284951.gif (300x300, 649K)

>it hasn't aged well
Games don't change over time in the same way living creatures do, which is what this phrase is originally intended for.

It's more valid to say that the game doesn't hold up to today's standards, or simply "it doesn't hold up".

Yep.
t. bought in release and played it on my laptop in a train.

Disconnected it from wifi and launched it, still works. I do have steam on remembering my login though.

I did. This is the DX version than Ariniggers shitposts with.

Attached: SA1 DX sucks, stop using it as an anti argument, retard.webm (426x360, 2.86M)

I had no ethernet adaptor and it didnt boot up at all, so yeah fuck you.

You played it as a kid, that's what make it special, both games are pretty mediocre otherwise

>I right
>He wrong
Fuck off faggot bastard. Not every people can be a failure like (You)

Attached: 1550184652514.png (1062x772, 241K)

I'm nearly 100% certain the one you posted was just SADX PC with mods, not the dreamcast version.
Unless somehow you got the dreamcast version running in widescreen, with the UI also made HD and fit to widescreen.

>10 Minutes
In other Sonic games, if you took that long, the game would kill you.

I dont know what's going on your end, but I dont think the game is to blame here. Try logging in to Steam and having it remember your login, it might work if you haven't done that already.

Oh, I thought you were showing how the DX version gets stuck on the terrain. Because it appeared that touching the wall halted Sonic's speed. Which looked real jank.
It wasn't obvious that the DX version actually clips through the landscape.

I prefer SA1 more though, especially the Sonic stages and the soundtrack more than 2.

This is a bit true, but for someone who lived on the classic era and enjoyed those games more, I still enjoy SA series and like to replay them every year.
First of all it has charm, the other thing that gets people is the all package in 2. You have 2player mode, had Hero and Dark side that could be 2 or 3 hours each play, every character goes into different levels, you play as fucking Eggman, the soundtrack is good and catchy, the chao garden for those who love tamagotchi shit, the missions modes, the kart racing and the bad voice acting with catchy lines(BECAUSE YOU TOLD ME FUCKSBOY). Even SA1 had minigames like the hammer thing, that twinkle park car racing, the pinball machines, the snowboarding
Now look into the boost era, what do people go back to? Oh right, there is no content, just Sonic stages with sunday cartoon dialogue, or minigames in Generations that people wont replay after the first playthrough. You just boost through the games, have fun for a day and replay those stages 3 years later because you dont care about the bad Classic Sonic, the Werehog, the Avatar, or tedious shit in Lost World.

>no Yea Forums server for Sonic Robo Blast Kart

That’s literally what “it hasn’t aged well” means you nonce. Nobody is trying to say that sonic has liverspots or rouge’s tits now hang past her knees.

Shit fun bruh.

Cursed Webm.

It's not. SA1 is a better interpretation of classic sonic in 3d; but SA2 is a phenomenal score attack focused platformer. Hell, virtually every single character can go fast if you know the the levels well enough. I recognize the mech and treasure hunting as not being "Sonic" style gameplay, but I love the game all the more for having it.

SA1 and 2 are both games that are legitimately great classics with aspects that also add to the overall quality in a “so bad it’s good” way, like the cutscenes. Shit is wild

You played it as a dumb kid who didn't know better.

The treasure hunting is fine because it normally comes with good music. The mech sections are just tinnitus simulators though.

Both SA1 and SA2 has bad wall collision that stops you like it's made of glue, or if you hugged the wall while airborne you fall down Melee Fox style. I think they hadn't fix that until Unleashed, because 06 fucked up so badly they had to start over from scratch.

>wall colision

Every time. I never have fallen down or clipped in SA1 DC, in DX I have clipped by the side of the wall in Emerald Coast, but that's it. Now SA2? Never. Now, camera issues? Sure.

t. fanboy in denial

It's SA1 that's special.

I never once said ither game made you clip through the wall your sperg, I JUST posted the DC version of SA1 doesn't have that issue nearly as infamous as the DX version. But yes, hitting walls in both games slow you down because it kills momentum instead of letting you skim against them like in the later Boost games do, like it should have done for a series about maintaining good speed control.

And doubly yes, you DO have a glitch with your gravity speed if you hit walls while airborne for some reason. It happens during the point you'd start descending, but hugging a wall makes you hit top falling speed.

Mech and treasure hunting were the worst part of the game. I don't know why SEGA keeps insisting on shoehorning these shitty game modes that are always inferior to the regular Sonic gameplay

>not playing Sonic Olympics

Attached: e7h0Qpm479fdDWTM.webm (320x180, 2.91M)

Yep, it's 'special' alright

It was the last game to attempt any sort of genuine continuity between games, had a distinct cheesy action movie/anime feel (others call this kino) and was developed at a time where Sonic Team was most in touch with what their fans wanted, ("You want guns? Have an arcade shoot-em-up!" I mean, who the fuck DIDN'T want to play as Eggman? They even added Tails when fans complained about his lack of inclusion.) what was cool at the time, and were creatively inspired. Iizuka has gone on record to state that Heroes was designed to capture a more casual audience and was the beginning of the end. The Adventure games were beloved when they came out and are only looked upon poorly now because Sega hasn't handled Sonic's legacy very well, so it's easier to point out its flaws without receiving backlash comparatively to trying to criticize Super Mario 64 (shitty camera, combination of stiff and slippery controls, etc.). The difference is, Mario went on to have consistently passable to good games (Galaxy and Odyssey being crowning achievements in platforming) and Sonic didn't as consistently.

TL;DR It holds a special place in the hearts of people who played it when it first came out and remember Sonic being a respectable gaming icon on top of still being a decent game to play today. Yeah the broken emerald radar is bad and whether or not you like the mech stages is entirely subjective (Cosmic Wall is good, fight me.) but the game is now on PC and any of these things can be easily remedied with mods. I didn't bring up the chao garden because I figured that'd be obvious.

Sega decide to make a Sonic CD Mania.
Who do you put in charge of the OST?
youtube.com/watch?v=D63gAK1GuN4

It really got easy to bash Sonic after 06 which got memed hard, even Unleashed got that despite not being bad(like those reviews that scored it with 4 or 6s with the Wii version being the better version according to them) despite the werehog being the only thing hit or miss to most

And Cosmic Wall was what all Eggman/Tails should have been, not as long obviously.

I had no idea what Dreamcast online was so I missed out on a lot of stuff. I didn't know what an ethernet cord was for, I was a dumb kid.

If you have SADX on PC, the BetterSADX mods will give you the Dreamcast DLC for free.

It was a neat thing, but that would take VMU blocks a lot like the kart extra tracks and characters(like +50 blocks each dlc). The costumes and voices were 2blocks each, so a the regular VMU would not be enough for all of SA2 content and saves. I dont recall if the extra chao eggs in the online black market wasted blocks or not

SA1 had enviromental changes to halloween, x-mas, new year and some time attack.

I speed run SA1, this section has notoriously bad physics
the rest of the game isn't like this and the game grumps are fucking terrible at games.

>Youtubers are fucking bad at games.
Yes this is not news.
Anyone who believed otherwise is a literal retarded zoomer

SA1 was way fucking better. In every imaginable way.

The only bad thing about SA2 is that it doesn't actually have an adventure field overworld like SA1 did.

SA2 is a fine game but its just not as free and enjoyable as SA1. You're forced to linearly play and select missions from a menu and there's just no soul there.