Is Default without map preview the only correct way to play this? How bad can you get screwed by mapgen RNG?

Is Default without map preview the only correct way to play this? How bad can you get screwed by mapgen RNG?

Attached: fa.jpg (639x361, 170K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/j75ikten
mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/Armageddon
youtube.com/watch?v=U-qs_Kscrfw
youtube.com/watch?v=Xz7_3n7xyDg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I spawned on an island once

Honestly it takes so little time to scout out the area and see a shit map that it doesn't matter that much. Map preview might save you a 5 min restart.

you can get a little unlucky with low amounts of coal or iron near your spawn, but by the time it matters you can just travel further away and send resources to your base

How do I into nuclear?

hopefully you spawned with enough stone in your island to make a landfill all the way to main land

Post your autism

Attached: 1520365310149.webm (636x504, 1.47M)

Attached: 1448113154360.gif (276x232, 1.38M)

the true way to play is with an autistic amount of monster bases and huge dense resources far apart from eachother; encouraging trains, defences and slow, careful clearing of the map.

Attached: 20180828230351_1.jpg (1920x1018, 867K)

Attached: 20180828230402_1.jpg (1920x1018, 764K)

can you not im trying to achieve nofap

Attached: 20180828230233_1.jpg (1920x1018, 848K)

cliffs off
reroll until you get a big area with a natural moat/chokepoint for later so you don't have to spend 2 hours running a giant ass wall of turrets, only to have to extend it 4 hours later.
resources high richness, cause running out of coal, then iron, then coal, then iron, then coal, is gay

trying a new game with high resource, but punishing myself for it with agressive biters. and holy shit they are a hand full. thank god im on a island but i cant even hold them off on a choke-point.

dont mind the clusterfuck, my ocd is not my highest priority

Attached: 20190310233524_1.jpg (1920x1017, 734K)

redpill me on solar energy. imo it takes up way too much space, and i'd much rather just add another 14 or 28 steam engines and call it a day. then move to nuclear before too long. also i'm clinically brainlet so circuits are a no-no, including switches for capacitors

Attached: 20190311131010_1.jpg (1920x1017, 632K)

its infinite. so is space. i like to fill empty area's so it looks efficient and well planned. there's no negative on solar if you prioritize your power distribution

Me too, but I built a path to the mainland.

Attached: tiny little path.jpg (3574x1439, 1.13M)

Attached: 20180828230627_1.jpg (1920x1018, 407K)

i never seem to finish my ocd projects

Attached: 20170519203941_1.jpg (1920x1080, 857K)

Or so I thought.

Took over island #2 though.

Attached: Untitled.png (1580x1823, 488K)

Every way is the correct way, from peaceful to rail death world.

>busbaby

why are your game's resource patches so big?

MY EYES

i spawned on a 2x2 island once.

>lapfox
isn't that something furry related?

Because they are big.

are busses bad?

Busses do simplify a bunch of the early/mid game mechanics, but honestly bots make it way much easier once you transition into bot/train bases. But Busses are a necessary learning curve into megabases which unfortunately ruin spaghetti fun since every base has to be bus driven at the start once you get into the habit.

It's some furry music artist.

Why do people play this? Its literally just cookie clicker

yup, young edgy me liked the music, nickname sticked around.

Why does everyone seem to hate looped mixed belts? It seems like a pretty obvious solution to manufacture things that need multiple stages of other manufactured components.
Granted i can't actually make it work well because little fluctuations in the material i feed the system from outside ruin the ratio of manufactured materials and the whole system clogs eventually.

Attached: yi2fhbpsy8901.png (1124x582, 1.47M)

you have to organize transportation, deal with waves of attacks and have limited supplies.
+ designing your layout is a puzzle itself.

comparing this to cookie clicker makes no sense. have you even played Factorio?

>bots make it way much easier once you transition into bot/train bases

I think this is my favorite moment in the game. Usually automate to having hundreds of bots and everything unlocked to make a bot/train based base. Then when it's all ready, build a fuckton of storage crates and release the bot army to disassemble the entire thing and put them into those storage crates. It's kinda beautiful to watch the last however many hours of progress be completely destroyed, neatly put into a few boxes and then be rebuilt into something new, way more efficient.

Haven't played it for a while (before nuclear power was even a thing) and it's been pretty cool. Seems like the research priority order for a lot has changed. It's a bit odd to unlock bots so early but have logistic systems be gated off so late, but I guess it makes sense. Looks like there's a lot of fun later on, between nuclear power and having trains of artillery cannons destroying the world like pic related.

Can't believe this game is considered "early access" while thing that look like they barely work like 7 days to die are on actual, real life store shelves as releases.

>the whole system clogs eventually.
Well you just answered your own question. Come to think of it you pretty much said "why do people hate this system that has this huge problem that makes said system stop working if production on anything outpaces consumption?"

Your bus gets wider and wider until it becomes a complete pain in the ass to deal with. Trains are so much easier to deal with.

t. built a 56 lane bus once

>bots
where is the fun in that?

Attached: 20180621225013_1.jpg (2560x1362, 1.04M)

The fact that it doesn't work seems like a good enough reason.

looped mixed belts see disgusted on general. conditionally to production slows anywhere then to you are a with able to already the look system breaks and you are a take to micromanage it. appreciation fuck the ise whoel game around automation then you are a went with and create that system this doesnt even worked. the boggles mind

Default biters but maximum size/richness of resources with minimum frequency. Until there are ways to automate building outposts in Vanilla I can't be fucking bothered. I want to engineer, not plop the same blueprints every two hours.

Attached: 20181126165215_1.jpg (1318x1008, 507K)

>Those fucking biters nests
Mein gott
Get the artillery

There's no way you can feed every single one of those machines off a single belt and keep them running 100%, it's just not possible. Sushi belt for science can be argued as viable until you get into the late late stages with modules speeding it up faster than a blue belt can supply but that's about it. For much smaller build, you could viably suishi belt some things, especially if you're short on space. But for efficiency sake they're simply not as good.

>Masturbating to SOLAR PANELS
You have caught the gay.
I am sorry.
If it's not spewing smog or glowing green, it's not real power.

what am i looking at?
i get the idea, but holy shit what, i mean, how? and why?

it looks like a total mess and assemblers dont get fed directly, they got to wait until the right item passes right? how is this good?

Don't need belts when you have a swarm of 50k robots doing everything for you. And don't need belts when you have rocket fuel powered trains delivering everything every second.

I i pretty much just started playing, i assumed that i just haven't figured out how to make it work yet. I would be nice if i could make some sort of buffer for individual components in the loop but i'm not sure how to do that.

It's some ebin shitposter that goes in every single Factorio thread to say it's just Cookie Clicker. I'm surprised by someone can be so dedicated on hating Factorio of all things

I'm in the process of wiping my whole base with deconstruct and optimize it more.

Attached: Untitled.png (1043x1873, 1.09M)

Yes, I pirated it and played it for a considerable amount of time, before it dawned on me that I was doing the same thing over and over again.

I had a sudden realisation that all I was doing was playing a skinner box, making more widgets to make more widgets, to make more widgets ala cookie clicker with extra steps.

In a game about designing factories you don't need robots to trivialize factory design

Why aren't YOU big?
Eat a sandwich, boney.

You can unclog mixed belts with splitters relatively easily. After each loop, separate the belt into its components, have a splitter send the spares off to a box or something, then re-merge into one belt.

go play life is strange then

You go from designing a factory around belts, to designing them around robots. They are 2 very different factory layouts even if they are both fed by trains. But you can only go so big with belts, gotta keep your UPS in check

You get guaranteed trees, copper, iron and coal near your starting position. It should be more than enough to get the basics up and running on Default.

Oil is a different story. It's very well possible the oil is several minutes of driving away.

While everything you have said is correct, realisation that I am playing an autism massager does not stop me from enjoying an autism massage.

Well I'd say handle things individually. Have a belt bringing the raw materals to something and the end result going out the other side. Your design looks kinda cool but it will never work long term without a lot of work. Think about it, what if you need to produce more of any of those things? How do you upscale production? If you had a dedicated line coming to the assemblers it'd just be a matter of building more assemblers and making sure you had enough of the source materials for making it coming in the belt.

Never stop your old factory before the new one is running. You'll regret it. Built next to it. The map is practically infinite.

I regret tearing down my original base. Such beautiful spaghetti.

Well, i'm actually doing the story mode and i don't have splitters that split based on item type yet. I tried something similar with selective inserters but i couldn't figure out a way to automatically identify which thing is "spare" and which isn't.

What settings? I want big ass island world like that

>before it dawned on me that I was doing the same thing over and over again.

Yeah, that's called a core gameplay loop. Most games try to achieve a good flow of a main gameplay loop that's enjoyable to keep you engaged the whole time. You could break down almost any game to "you just go through corridors shooting things over and over" with slight variations. In factorio's case it's this endless optimizing and upscaling of production while unlocking new tools and more complex things that you have to think about and optimize. I completely disagree the game is "just like cookie clicker" just because you want to optimize numbers.

You can make a sushi belt work but it requires some autism with logic networks, comparators, and related stuff.

How do I break from using blueprints you guys?

I usually make one massive blueprint of my entire base before I tear it down, kinda like a live-screenshot that I can in theory place down.

>doing the same thing over and over again
every game ever.
the core concept of Factorio is to make a product and merge it into something else with other components. work on more input to get more output to get closer and easier towards the end-game product(s). work your way around your assembly-line, work on transportation and keeping an close eye on supply and demand.

how in the world can you compare that to cookie clicker? please explain yourself, i'm curious. i know you are just fucking, but seriously, try me.

delete all of them, change hot-key and never look back. punish yourself whenever you see yourself use it. delete a turret or so, or 1 less science lab

just don't use them?
I've put 200 hours into Factorio and haven't used bp besides the few ones I created in a given game

Some bullshit like this works, except not in mspaint.
I is inserter
S is splitter
Grey is belt

Attached: overflow.png (680x824, 5K)

pastebin.com/j75ikten

Everything is spam, fucking hiroshimoot should be raped by a behemoth spitter

Attached: fuck 4chan.png (1294x852, 39K)

What's the end goal for Factorio? Just keep optimising, or is there something to work towards?

Restrict yourself to only making your own blueprints. So if you come up with a cool design, you save it for yourself in the future/maybe just for the current game, like getting a small bit of a bigger project so you can copy paste it without much effort. I don't think the blueprints are an issue, they just make plopping some things down more efficient late game and cut down on repetition, the issue is copying other people's designs online.

Why is this cookie clicker retard in every factorio thread? Talk about obsessed...

Delete all premade blueprints you have. Only use the ones you made inside of that game, heavy emphasis on ones YOU made. Fucking block Factorioprints in your web browser if you have to. It's a hard habit to get out of to stop using someone else's 100% space efficient layout sometimes, especially for oil.

Post essential mods

Is there a way to get mods without logging in?

Launch 1 rocket
per minute

base mod

just create an account, takes 20 seconds

The current end goal is the rocket, but they are planning on adding another one after that eventually. soonâ„¢. But for now it's just play until you get bored and start a new map, or make your own goal. 1kspm, 1 rocket a second, 500m circuits produced, do the Lazy Bastard achievement which is super fun.

I'd say you make your own goals with things like achievements/specific projects you want to build but there IS a defined end-goal, which is to build a rocket and launch a satellite within it. You could say you "beat" the game after you do that but you can keep playing as long as you want, there's tech researches that keep scaling forever and the world is infinite.

Tfw my organization is shit but i have 1k bots just moving shit around 247
Any mods for a patrician playstyle like mine

base mod 0.17.11

challenge yourself. try to be more compact, or get a perfect ratio without buffers. try mods (it can ad a good 200-300 hours of gameplay just to get to the end-game). try to be compact with mods, try to find perfect ratio with mods.

it sounds easy but boy. if you like to challenge yourself, try Bob's+Angels mods with biters on.

the most fun worlds for me are very frequent water, very frequent very big alien nests, and then defend a small chokepoint and slowly expand as i need more resources

The funny thing with Factorio is the devs are so fucking attentive to the state of their game almost every mod makes it's way to the game in some form of another. Even things that I'd consider "cheat mods" like Long Reach they interpreted as the playerbase feeling like the range was too short by default, so they extended it to almost long reach levels but not quite. They work on the resource generation a lot too thanks to RSO. Ideally there will come a time where the only mods you'll want to use are mods that add more content for extra playthroughs, since the base game is already perfect.

I think we are almost there already.

>play factorio
>get stressed because it feels like a mentally tiring job
>drop it after a day
>repeat

Do resources deplete over time? Am I forced to move somewhere else eventually or could I stick to the area I start in indefinitely? I'll grab it to screw around with if I can just stick to where I am and keep optimising further.

it looks like a cpu layout

if you dropped it after a day you wouldn't repeat

C h i l l
Turn off biters if you want. Then you are under 0 pressure besides your own autism.
If your autism gives you pressure than I suppose it's unavoidable, but realise that autism is a supwerpower and you've got amazing potential if you push through the stress and keep going

Depending on your map generation parameters, you will have to move on. Expand. Grow. Consume. Hover over an ore patch on the map to see how much it has left. A "safe" number is around 300k-1m. That won't run out for quite a few hours letting you do whatever else in the meantime. Late game, you're wanting patches 1-10m and for that you typically use the mod RSO or increase base resources in generation.

The factory must grow.

defualt sucks. use mods. this game desperately needs like a godzilla story to it or something. it gets boring and autistic otherwise

Resources deplete though you can make them rich so it will take longer to deplete. Also you don't have to leave your starting area to get more resources (as in rebuild somewhere else), you just setup a train route and an outpost to far away resource patches.
You can also use a mod to make resources infinite but you are going to regret it because later your factory will be so big that it would overlap resource patches and they won't disappear if you mine them with that mod.

The point is that Factorio has nothing to shake up the core loop, things like disasters, random events and such are crucial for game with such a short gameplay loop like this, otherwise you're just going through the same motion and if you want to be autistic about optimization or whatever just get and arduino kit or take up making electronics in general, you'll sit at a desk but at least you'll get a skill.

Why stressed out? You can take as long as you want for anything. There's no pressure to beat a timer or anything. You can even disable all enemies if it bothers you at all.

They do on a specific ore patch, but you don't have to relocate, you'll find more ore patches any direction you go on the map and you can bring them to you instead, through trains for example. The ore patches further away from your base also have more resources in them. So later on you could have this sprawling empire of trains bringing your resources into a central base of processing everything. Also remember you have in theory infinite space to work with, so no need to restrict yourself to a tiny space and keep optimizing it too hardcore (unless that's your kinda thing)

You are godzilla.
The trees are buildings.

What a pleb opinion. Just pretend there's some big godzilla monster coming and you need to build a rocket to escape if it will make you feel that much better. Make some growling noises at your monitor to be more convincing.

trying to get lazy bastard achievment.
honestly it's kinda a pain to run to assembly machine every time you need something. a long way till complete automation of everything

>tfw strong urge to restart after getting trains and oil set up

Attached: 1534982167531.gif (600x338, 205K)

this, which is why i Suggested godzilla
but other disasters would be fine, or events. I remember a hole mod where the aliens would randomly start appearing like gears of war locusts

>spewing smog
No user you are the gay and the clouds rising from those engines is like your boyfriend's thick jizz
>glowing green
Alright can't argue with that but steam power is still gay, solar is meh and nuclear is patrician

Is it possible to build a rocket inside a single chunk with only raw resources as input? I don't care how long it takes.

surprisingly that happens a lot if i try to squeeze shit in a small area within traintracks.

Thanks. I don't necessarily want to restrict myself to a small area, but it'd be disappointing to spend time working on an optimised system and have to do it all over again in just a few hours, it'd make everything feel kinda pointless to me. Expanding instead of moving with trains to grab resources sounds good though.

>finally decide to give bus system a try
>notice some ratios are not quite right
>"just a little adjustment"
>tfw I'll never leave the spaghetti

send help

Attached: help.png (1920x1080, 2.01M)

mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/Armageddon

this is what I used before, but the zilla sucks ass. kind of funny though

Why? You have a lot left to do, user. Your game will change a lot with unlocking logistics systems should you choose to do so. Also you can essentially "restart" your game at any point given that you can tear down anything you've built and rebuild it anywhere or however you want. Bots can help you with that too. I'd really recommend at least trying to launch a rocket once before replaying the whole thing.

Build a mall which creates the essentials in a centralized location and have a singular train which you connects to that mall and your rail network. Which you can call at any time while you're building incase you run out of the essentials. Of course all that becomes moot once you set up a bot network to deliver everything instantly.

What if: there were boss aliens that were giants with stronger than behemoth followers?

We need stronger end game stuff.

You are going to abandon your first base anyway, I can guarantee that

yes
youtube.com/watch?v=U-qs_Kscrfw

Yeah. Trains work well for moving things long distance so you never have to go to the resources and build a base around them, unless you want to. You can choose to build mini outposts around an ore patch to smelt it on-site and just send the smelted product to your base, or just load the train with ores and send it to a massive smelting facility somewhere. Or have the whole thing be unloaded at a main central location where bots take everything where it needs to go. You make your own solutions to things, really.

classic stone, solid fuel, wall, pipe, iron stick main bus

Well I got what I asked for.

Attached: waka waka.png (301x242, 74K)

Prior to seeing this image:
>I have no idea what OCD people mean when they say their thoughts distress them and force them to perform rituals, how could a ritual calm your thoughts
After seeing this image
>I understand perfectly

You can like doing mindless things, there's no need to be so defensive about it.

Nuclear is just hotter Steam Power. It's still just heating water to make steam turn a turbine, but without the ability to empty an industrial size ashtray onto the ayliums front garden. Unless you're shooting depleted Uranium into their faces afterwards, Nuclear is the big gay.

yeah, working on something similar, but because RNG didn't bless me on resources, it'll take awhile.
Probably shouldn't have gone for this achievement while this being my second game. My base became even more mess than the first one.

Nonsense. There's a need to be defensive about EVERYTHING. It's how you prove you have opinions!

>mindless things
I'd say as far as video games go, Factorio does require a fair bit of thinking and planning. allowing for massive levels of autism. It's not some "thinking man's game" but it's certainly not for everyone who just wants mindless instant gratification.

Actually disregard , I'm a massive faggot who needs to get more sleep. Thought you were the cookier-clicker fag saying that it's okay to like something as mindless as that (factorio), please disregard my 10% efficiency reading comprehension skills.

I went for Lazy bastard and the rocket in under 9 hours after only a few games under my belt. Once you get over the hurdle of the early game everything just flies. The main issue is just producing enough and making enough space to produce everything. Hence the popular mall solution.

factorio's skinner box is a well designed skinner box. skinner boxes are not bad game design, they are bad design when they reward the player for doing things that aren't difficult or artificially inflate the sense of player accomplishment

factorio is about building increasingly complex and interconnected machinery for the end goal of doing it more efficiently

play terraria, faggot

I play with enemies off
debate me

>every game is a skinner box

Fuck you user that's entirely reasonable since you should be able to play Factorio and enjoy the game however you want, which is part of the point the devs give you so much freedom on map generation on how you want everything to work.

>it's certainly not for everyone who just wants mindless instant gratification.
It isn't, but factori is not a game that requires your unreqited attention 100% of the time. It's like building a puzzle or crocheting.

first rocket took me around 80 hours, and then turned out launching rocket is nothing special when I finally decided to do it.
my problem is overproducing things, which creates a lot of unefficency and endless tweaking. Either way thanks for the tip

Sure. One of the things I love about it is that you choose your level of engagement. I feel you CAN spend 100% of your time on it giving it undivided attention if you want. There's always some way to upscale something, somewhere. When you are waiting on research you can always build more labs to make it go faster and get more of every resources leading to it, if you really want. Or you can just let research go for a bit while planning your next move or even just watching a youtube video while it goes.

>Play for a couple hours.
>Start it up again later on or the next day.
>New map.
I've only attempted trains once.
I'm at 70 hours.
I dont know whats wrong with me.

Attached: Angry bun bun.jpg (750x562, 47K)

Belts are viable. You just need a lot of them.

Think of trains the same way you think of belts. They move resource from A to B. You don't even need to mess with signals or crossings for your first few attempts. Once you're comfortable moving resources over distance, then you can add in another train onto that system, you make a junction or a passing area, start simple and expand.
The rule of thumb for signals is basically "Chain on the way in to a junction, regular on the way out." And I suggest doing a railworld, it's quite an experience, or a ribbon world.

I wish there were train tunnels or bridges.
That'd let me port my OpenTTD autism to my factorio autism.

ive been spawned a few times on a small island with no way off and no resources, the worst i ever got spawned on was a size of around 4 by 6 in terms of tiles

Attached: 8D8465BB-F928-4EC0-AD37-FA2BEE2EAD16.jpg (480x852, 58K)

Aww dude

I do this too
I'm at 147 hours and haven't launched a rocket yet

I wish tech research had been scrapped in favor of everything being available from the start but the high tier buildings and items requiring a larger quantity and variety of intermediate items. As it is now, you have to wait for the good stuff to unlock every time you start and that gets kind of repetitive. Having all techs available at the start could make for a different start every time.

Any mods that do this?

Attached: hDtpS4I.jpg (500x500, 31K)

It's called "build 80 labs".
Do it faget.

Do you build more than one science factory?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1831x1677, 1.72M)

>only a halfbelt of each science
Weak.

>Only [whatever
] use
Weak.

I don't see why you thought that was a comment worth bringing up, since you know how stupid and irrelevant your comment is.

>only a halfbelt of each science
Weak.

I see, not much of a cognitive thinking person.

You'll get there eventually.

Still weak.
Upgrade your labs.

You're still retarded.
Works for me. Both that you're retarded and my current lab layout.
Only have two upgrades left anyway.

Good thing you aren't playing the version where you can continually research new tiers of productivity and speed.
Because your labs are weak.

Those are incremental upgrades and I expected you to know that.

Sadly, even my low hopes for you were too high.

Your incremental upgrades are weak
Your labs are weak
Your argument is weak
You are weak
Go upgrade your labs.

>guy has over 50 labs, fully fed at once
>with speed beacons inter-spaced
>wow what a noob git gud at game

Yeah clearly user has no idea what he's doing. I can't imagine why that's the one screenshot in this thread you decided to go all elitist over.

You're retarded
You're autistic
You can't even form arguments, you just seethe and whine
You are weaker than me, both mentally and verbally.
Go OCD rape your base.

Find modfiles on the net

His silence is probably him realizing it's a very efficient science layout since it can be feed all different science packs and is tile-able in both directions.

I always preview the map because I've been burned too many times by three hour searches for oil.

I play with max biters so chainsawing through them to plant radars is a pain.

I also play with alien biomes mods and like to settle in either comfy arctic wastelands or deserts.

>alien biomes is maximum comfy.
Always makes me remember HoMM3.

Attached: Honeyview_15bb5f4ad09ebeb1ebf8057cbbd840bcc07e1504.png (144x144, 43K)

Is there a way to funnel biters to attack through a specific part of the base like in Rimworld?
> setting up green packs
> since my base is in middle of bumfuck nowhere, it's impossible to predict what the biters will attack
> round around the entire base for the past 30 minutes fixing and refueling turrets with ammo
> run out of starting resources
> die

Death world marathon preset or bust. Railword marathon with biter expansion enabled also acceptable if you're bad at video games.

they attack areas that create pollution or a lot of noise

nigga they all pollute

Make loads of pollution in one specific point and add in a convenient hole in the wall to act as a funnel. But alien AI in this game is smarter than raider AI in rimworld , so your mileage may vary.
Also
>reloading turrets manually
>not constantly expanding so you don't run out of resources
big lmao

>Talking big against people that experience the same thing you did when you were new and knew nothing about the game.

Bigger lmao.

>Defending yourself by saying you already knew things

Mega lmao.

>He used wikis to learn it

Ultra lmao.

You just need to put turrets everywhere. Early game 2 turrets paired together should be able to handle attack waves fine. If the waves are coming too quickly you can go and kill all of the nests inside of your pollution cloud and they'll stop attacking you. also you can play on a map with a lot of trees, the pollution cloud expands much slower compared to a desert start map

I like this game but I can never find a reason to play it for too long.
I wish it had some competition with some other factory maker or some CEO you have to do shit for or anything.
Its really just autism for autism sake instead of having a purpose.
I still have like 50 hours in it tho.

Did they change the AI or something? I always found it to be very predictable. Pollution hits their nests, they pretty much beeline for whatever pollution source they are targeting at that moment. It catches me by surprise once, then I make a mini wall of turrets facing where they came from and they will usually repeat the same vague path and get mowed down by turrets, over and over.

Eventually you'll hit more nests and the process continues but I seriously don't think I've ever even bothered with walls or gates. My walls are lines of laser turrets on paths I know they will come from.

find someone to play pvp with then

>when you were new and knew nothing about the game
I've been playing the game since purple science packs came from biter nests. I've never been able to launch a rocket.

No I'm too shit :(

Been playing since old player sprite, and I haven't fired a single rocket outside of creative mode.

> It catches me by surprise once,
And then you have to build the turrets. Then a fuckass huge conveyor belt from your ammo factory to feed them. Then hope you have walls automated or waste another 10 minutes making walls.

>and I haven't fired a single rocket outside of creative mode
Do you get overwhelmed easily and just drop the game or just lose interest in multi-day playthroughs?

I play till I get to oil and pretty much stops, and enable creative mode and build mega train adventures with FARL.

Only very early game. I usually bootleg a chest with inserters and maybe belts if I need that many turrets in an area early on, then just dump the ammo manually in that chest. Though I usually move on to laser turrets. I think you are exaggerating it. Make some laser turrets at the path they come from. if they actually get to damage/hurt your turrets, you can add more to make sure they don't even touch it. Walls will add a buffer until they can get to your turrets but ultimately I'd rather them not even touch them at all.

I think they only playthrough I bothered automating ammo and taking it to every turret by conveyor belt was an achievement run for no laser turrets, so we have this massive loop around our base feeding into a wall of turrets. It was quite beautiful actually.

Islands with hyper aggressive large alien bases is a lot of fun, as long as you don't research landfill.

Currently working on a concept for a mega factory.

I want to have train stations on copper/iron etc sources.
Obviously those need targets (smelting),the buffer chests are linked to train stations. Now I want to dynamically replenish those stations if the buffer chests run below 50%. Is this possible? And I don't mean having 1 train route from copper -> smelting and the train only drives when there is less than 50% in the buffer chests, I mean like a global rule that all copper trains will try to satisfy a location if it is in need of copper

I researched waterfill and landfill

Attached: 1527971638985.jpg (480x373, 20K)

Yes, it's called the circuit network.

waterfill is basically just playing without enemies

I've never really used circuits, but you might be able to link the chests to the station such that when they are >50% full the train station is disabled

yeah I know that. but how?

I don't know the details, but I can tell you the tools are there. Pretty sure circuits can read the content/quantity of chests and also connect to train stations to send signals, I think the trains themselves can also do things based on receiving signals, so all the pieces of the puzzle are there. Just gotta learn how they work and experiment some.

That's that's the fun part.

Building is fun, but getting to know how to do it is "funner".

>learn about bus system
>make one hueg base
>replayability drops like a rock
how do I make myself autism the game again

Yeah. I remember I spent so much time tinkering with balancing loading trains for resources, eventually figuring out a clever solution with circuits that allowed all wagons to be equally loaded and distributed, instead of it overloading the first wagon, then the second and so on.

Unrelated, but one thing is I eventually came to a point where I started connecting the ore patches directly to my massive smelting facility in my main base. Is loading it all into a train and unloading really more efficient than just having belts go all the way into the main base? Assuming I can keep all the belts constantly rolling at max speed with no bottlenecks? Of course there's the issue of laying hundreds, maybe even thousands of belts to achieve this, but there comes a point late game where that just doesn't matter that much anymore, especially since I can remove them when an ore patch runs dry and it's reused elsewhere. Any thoughts on this?

Trains add a nice touch to things but if you're religious, you can't go wrong with.

Attached: Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage_HD.jpg (5346x2583, 2.75M)

Trains are way faster than belts so they allow for higher throughput if the patch is far away
Plus the resources spent on fast belts must be made up for first

I suppose it just comes down to how fast can you unload a train vs. how fast are your belts. I'm sure someone's ran the math.

Agreed, having trains around look a lot nicer than some having some fuckhuge belts on the ground.

>Trains are way faster than belts so they allow for higher throughput if the patch is far away
I guess I just never hit a patch that was far enough where that was a concern then. I had a big enough dedicated smelting area that I could be processing multiple ore patches being entirely strip mined at once and belts running all the way from them with 0 bottlenecks.

The point on the resources I'll be spending on the fast belts to begin with is very valid, though. The further away I get the more wasteful it is to do things this way. I just saw the belt method as the "ultimate throughoutput" since I can keep it flowing 100% of the time with no delays.

A train can carry 12 belts worth of ore per wagon if you can feed it from the other end. To do the same with belts would require a monumental line of 64 belts just to match the same amount 4 wagons can carry per stop. The better solution would be to smelt the ore onsite and train the plates back to the base rather than carrying the ore and processing it.

I played this game and beat it once. Took me about 28 hours on my actual won game. But I struggle on any good reason to play again outside of just doing it more efficiently next time. Maybe I fit into that small portion of people who were autistic enough to enjoy it but not autistic enough to go maximum over efficiency. Pic is my factory at victory. If you note im actually on a giant fuckin island.

Attached: Factory.jpg (1924x1080, 281K)

>monumental line of 64 belts just to match the same amount 4 wagons can carry per stop.

Hang on a moment, but if the ore is directly connected and flowing the entire way, is this really valid? Maybe things are a bit different but I swear last version I had something between 4-6 fast belts coming out of every patch to keep it always flowing all the way back to base. It was basically the same amount you'd put on the patch itself to load it into chests/the train and not have anything bottleneck, just extended all the way back to the main base. Saying it requires 64 belt lines seems incorrect.

The problem is the clogging. If you can either feed only the required amounts, or remove the oversupplied parts it works fine.

The thing is why not make a proper system? Its more time to make but works faster and can easily be upgraded by adding more parts.

I have almost 200 hours and have never launched a rocket. I always restart from scratch.

oh god i came

Trains are belts but fast. Find a bunch of resources far from base, harvest them into crates next to a train track, get a train to pick it up, drop off at base.

They are pretty fun simple outposts that keep you supplied.

It's 64 belts to match the efficiency of 4 wagon trains constantly being emptied by 6 inserters each side. Even just having 4 belts stretching across the entire map for iron and copper is one hell of a waste of resources, especially once you upgrade and need more than 4 belts to feed your smelting lines or your nearby patches run dry and you gotta go further.

i didnt know you could move pots between them

all those fucking belts for nothing

You get wiser everyday.

Attached: 1497492508655.gif (267x200, 1.59M)

some of the tricks are pretty obscure to find but insanely useful i wish i knew all this shit before i sold my virginity to factorio

Sure, though you wouldn't have trains being CONSTANTLY unloaded for resources, right? So that's probably where the 64 number comes from. I suppose I just never had such a high demand for resources where it wasn't satisfied by just having the direct connection and I had that many trains unloading constantly. Or never had to go far enough for resources where the long ass belts really took a big hit. I'll experiment with it this time around and find the breaking point where it goes from kinda wasteful to incredibly wasteful.

I didn't know about it until a week ago and I have almost 500 hours in the game.

This is fucking idiocy, and I want you to stop this fucking awful spaghetti shit before it becomes a habit.
You clearly understand the basic to advanced concepts of the game, so you can't be a complete retard and should be more than capable of doing in an efficient manner by this point.

I'm going to give you a simple example belt factory, and I want you to build it in game right next to your factory and simply observe how the two factories function in comparison to each other.

Attached: belt factory.jpg (1262x789, 232K)

Daisy chaining like that also works with turrets since they will only hold a certain amount of ammo despite the max being x10 more.
Once you move into 1kspm, you NEED your factory to be fed like that at a constant basis. Especially green circuits, fuck I hate green circuits. You need dedicated iron/copper smelters just to feed the circuit factories. With modules your electric smelters will eat through more iron than yellow/red belts can supply, and need to be fed by blue belts. To saturate 1 line of blue belt you need 90 miners per belt. Or just use multiple trains coming from multiple ore outposts that are being unloaded constantly.

To be fair it didn't always use to be that way with the research labs. Might as well dump some tips here

>Press alt to see more information on just about anything
>Space is infinite, don't try to be super conservative with how you build things only to find out later you need to produce a lot more of something and can't reasonably expand it
>Use both sides of the belt, you can for example have iron ore on one side and coal on the other, both putting ore and fuel into the same furnace
>Personal Tip: At the very start, try making a burner mining drill pointed at another burner mining drill on top of a coal patch, they will mine into each other and keep going forever. You can get creative and expand this setup.
>As people already said in this thread, research labs can now move science between each other with inserters
>You can Shift-Click to place ghosts of things anywhere, so you can pre-plan without actually building, also helps if you are working with other people to lay out the plans.

>Hold control on a speed/prod/eff module and walk past buildings you want filled with the module you have in your hand

>hold shift when clicking to emptying one grid of items, alt to do it will all the same items.

>>You can Shift-Click to place ghosts of things anywhere, so you can pre-plan without actually building, also helps if you are working with other people to lay out the plans.
FUCK

Just bought the game, any tips?

To add to this:
>You can shift right click an assembly machine to "copy" it's setting and then shift left-click (or maybe other way around) other assembly machines, instead of having to click each one and set the recipe for the item
>This "copying" system also works for a lot of other things, one of the most poweful ones being that you can "copy" an assembling machine's contents and "paste" it into a requester chest, it will actually set the requirements for building the item on it.
>Also works on filter inserters

is this loss?

>any tips
Get vaccinated, autism helps

Don't throw all your shit on one belt

If we are doing this then have some fun ones.

Pasting a ghost blueprint with modules in it on top of a building with no modules on it will order logistics robots to place modules in that machine. This also works in reverse if you want to remove them.

Press Z to throw whatever you are carrying on the ground.

Liquid containers are capable of operating on IF/OR/AND statements in the logistics network without a pump.

Speed modules in a beacon can be used to increase an empty oil deposit from 0.1 to 0.9 Oil per second.

Fish aren't useless, they instantly heal you for 30% of your max HP and have no cool-down on their use. Carry them around in the early game when clearing biter nests.

Biters cannot target railway tracks. Spitters cannot spit at railway tracks. Worms can for some reason but cannot ever spawn close enough to attack one.
Colonist biters cannot settle within a 20 tiles radius of a railway track, this can be used to stop nest expansion in specific locations.

nigga first thing i tried is making an inserter insert ammo into a turret and it worked, since then i have had belts behind my walls
also
>reddit spacing
omega lmao
>projecting this hard just to prove some shit on an anonymous forum
ultimate lmao

read again

>>Defending yourself by saying you already knew things

Mega lmao.

I make reddit posting because I know it's triggering people here.

doesn't make it any less true.
also, read again
>projecting this hard just to prove some shit on an anonymous forum
ultimate lmao

Attached: superlative laugh.jpg (455x675, 113K)

Read and again.

Already stated.
No matter how you try to un-seethe yourself out of this, you already got trapped in your own stupidity for understanding the post.

>first thing I did was literally [did thing]

>>Defending yourself by saying you already knew things

Good luck being in an infinite loop and an idiot at the same time.

Enjoy the imgur/reddit filename, autist.

Attached: x7t0mj3reaf11.jpg (1275x538, 61K)

>Space is infinite, don't try to be super conservative with how you build things
This nigga....

Attached: 1464427520107.jpg (400x400, 38K)

>Nuclear makes heat
>Heat pipes to boilers
>Boil water
>Put steam in turbines

That's pretty much the extent of it
Neighbor bonuses make it so you want to have your reactors close to each other, but that's as complex as it gets.

You're aware that your reply further proves his point, right?
Just making sure you're not mentally bottlenecked.

How do you make the enemies attack more often?

Attached: fact2.png (995x947, 2.04M)

youtube.com/watch?v=Xz7_3n7xyDg

do i look like i care about that ? i've had fun laughing at a retard on the net while pretending to be a retard my self, he had fun pretending to be a retard on the net while laughing at another retard himself, all is well and good on 4channel.

Attached: the internet in bizarro world.jpg (750x527, 120K)

>pretending
Yeah, if it makes you feel better, I won't stop you.

Attached: 1522153977529.jpg (1615x917, 321K)

You need to get banned

Attached: 1541017016700.png (199x226, 3K)

make more pollution
ask the biters to settle where you have polluted the land
increase biter settings in the world config

Attached: rootin tootin and pollutin.webm (1406x566, 1.48M)

:^^p

Attached: 1516111577846.jpg (460x345, 38K)