Double Jumps

What's your opinion of Double Jumps? Personally I find it lazy in most games that feature them.

Attached: doublejump.jpg (720x720, 96K)

Sneed

What IS the point of double jump though?

depends.
They're incredibly iconic in the GnG games. But then, having recently played it, maldita castilla features a great double jump, as it's an item, and only lasts throughout that life (or until you replace it with something like a shield or fairy), and the jump is delayed. It's like you're actually jumping twice, not air hiking or something.

But most games that use it use it pretty lazily. jak and daxter is a good example, since double jump, in their foolish attempt to make it unique unlocks a horrific, gamebreaking bug with the ground slams and double jumping that lets you get more height.

to jump twice? the actual point is so developers can add more distance and make levels feel longer, plus you can tie certain moves to double jumps like swapping it with a glide.

Another question. When given the ability to double jump do you ever just jump once? I feel like I have to jump twice for some reason.

what's the correct answer? does free fall count as a jump?

Attached: double jump .png (827x528, 27K)

In theory, sure.
In practice, it usually serves as a game development crutch so that if the character handles fucky, off, or the like, the player won't die and think poorly of the game.

In most cases, the normal jump should be enough (along with good handling and physics) to be able to clear jumping obstacles; in the sense of "The game should not have controls or physics bad enough that 90% of my double jumps aren't because the obstacle is higher or further, but rather because this character controls/jumps like absolute trash"

Like, imagine a game with castlevania style jumping, but it's a 3d platformer and the controls are also kinda slippery.
Instead of fixing either of those problems, they just slap on a double jump as a sort of bandaid solution.

(Not to say all games with double-jumping do this, mind)

I think it should, since you can't make the first jump without a group to initiate it

Name 1 good platformer with a double jump.

HA! HA! YEAH! HA! HA!

Attached: 1545313920509s.jpg (125x125, 4K)

Viewtiful Joe?

It ups the skill ceiling and allows for more complex level design, however if not utilized well it does trivialize most regular platforming.

but I specially stay you walk off. Some games count you in the air as 1 jump because it assumes you're in the air because you jumped

Mario Galaxy

He said good platformer user, not "epic" setpieces and molasses gameplay the game

is Yoshi's flutter a double jump?

Attached: yoshi-flutter.gif (81x77, 4K)

Even if I have to quickly double tap and essentially waste the first hop I will do that second jump.

That doesn't even describe the game.

make characters different
in TF2 only Scout has double jump

Sure, they break the laws of physics, but so do everything else you do.

only good post in the thread

Sort of. It also makes you not want to abuse it like in other games with double jumps since air control gets wonky when fluttering and prevents super fine tuning.

Yeah, like a double jump/glide hybrid.

Galaxy is nothing but "woah space so epic!" visuals and orchestral music. The gameplay is garbage thanks in large part to how slow and floaty everything is.

donkey Kong country style

well it used to. if Wooly World has a single major flaw it's the fact that not only can you flutter infinitely, it's not even hard to do. And the new game looks to have the same problem.

Dustforce :^)

in some games it's sort of a resource. scout all of a sudden becomes a lot worse in tf2 without a double jump. if you lose your second jump in ssbm you are in a very disadvantageous position

A all the way

It's counts as a half a press jump

So the player doesn't have to commit to jumps and can redirect themselves ONCE if the fuck up the angle just a smidge
It was FUCKING EVERYWHERE in old school 3d platformers for a reason

I think first TF2s and Smash can get a pass since they use their double jumps for mobility instead of platforming. My main issue with double jumps is how they effect the design in platformers.

Battle for Bikini Bottom

Actraiser 2 was the pinnacle of the double jump. This is an indisputable fact.

Attached: ActRaiser_2_(EU).png (256x224, 8K)

This. When it’s a mobility/redirection resource it’s solid, if it’s fluff to make level space seem bigger then who cares.

I guess in metroidvanias it can work. SotN’s double jump isn’t special except for having a neat animation, but it works for the purpose of opening some things up, and now that I’m thinking about it can help a little in fights so it gets mobility points there too I suppose. It’s also just a way to navigate levels faster since it’s a very vertical game. Most speed powerups in games are kinda arbitrarily hidden but feel good to unlock, so it has some value in that.

makes everything beginner friendly if you have to fuck up twice in a row to die

I have no problem with them but I do prefer games with a single jump to have other ways to traverse the environment. Super Mario 64 and Ninja Gaiden have great mobility and fexible controls to get to areas where a double jump would suffice in other games. It's more challenging and satisfying that way.

Rondo of Blood

They work best when they are not used as the primary method of navigating vertically. If 90% of the jumps in a game require you to double jump why even have it to begin with?

Smash Bros? Say what you want about the game but I like the double jump system.

I wanna get cultured 2

Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi 3 and Shinobi PS2.
Geeeeeeeeeeeeet fucked

I like it but only if the game lets you hit the second jump whenever you want

I also think it's fucking stupid to have a double jump and then 0 jumps you can reach without it, same for ledge grabbing, if you have to grab every single ledge you fucked up your map design big time.

Metroid Prime had a perfectly fine double jump. Jak and Daxter drives me nuts.

in platforming i expect them, and it makes me feel strangely vulnerable if I can only jump once. outside of that, i don't remember them coming up but i like double jumping as scout in tf2 just as an exclusive ability.

I've always thought that double jumps are used because it's easier to program that than it is to program climbing mechanics.

B allows for more complex level design, even if it makes easier jumps and pits like that baby mode to get out of if you fuck up and fall in.

hot damn that game was fucking stupid
but i still liked it

Jak and Daxter
Titanfall 2

Double Jumps as a mechanic aren't lazy, you are complaining about level design.
I wish there were more platformers that created interesting jumps by forcing you to save your double jump for extended periods of time like some I wanna be the guy fangames do.
Vines platforms and water together are top tier.

I hate games that don't let you double jump if you don't do it right after you jump

Same, too bad it's aged like dog shit with how basic and repetitive the gameplay is.

You'd love X-Men on Genesis. It's not really a double jump. You have a basic jump by hitting the button, and a super jump by hitting the button twice AS FAST AS POSSIBLE

hollow knight

Ape Escape

Ape escape 4 never ever and it hurts

Attached: 1524583636374.png (862x608, 928K)

tfw you grow up and realize the double jump feature nearly ubiquitous in your childhood action adventure games was put in there to make them easier to play for babies like you.

Attached: almost unpleasant.png (384x390, 175K)

Ratchet and clank