Play Dwarf Fortress

Play Dwarf Fortress.

Attached: 1540423720403.png (1679x977, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/au/dwarf-fortress-creator-tarn-adams-talks-about-simulating-the-most-complex-magic-system-ever/
dwarffortresswiki.org/
youtu.be/0FW23bamIZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No. It's boring.

Attached: 1534214059543.jpg (1080x900, 294K)

Of course, it's fun

Ok, I’ve been contemplating recently

cool concept shitty execution

I don't have enough autismo to learn the inner mechanisms and UI design

Dwarf Fortress is anti gameplay. It's on the level of a visual novel.

Nah, the interface is terrible. I shouldn't need 3 separate programs just to manage my dwarves.

GTFO zoomer.

Attached: 1545106243315 copy.jpg (1280x1280, 311K)

waiting for the next update that's going to come out sometime in the next couple years, then I'll do a colony or two like normal

I'm a brainlet and can't play it, why's there no comfy, simple game like this artwork?

No, it sounds more like a boring job and less like a fun game.

I haven't played since version 28 something. Anything neat happen since then?

I play it every once in a while, enough to make a medium sized fort. I lack the imagination to make super long lasting and creative forts though.

I find the best games, once you get the basics down, are the ones with challenging starts like haunted or glacier starts

I wish adventure mode was better
>still can't aim when throwing or firing stuff at people
shit sucks

I decided to try it since i heard it was good.
I was setting the skills of my dwarfs and i saw the job/skill list and said fuck.

Attached: thought i've seen it all.png (800x923, 561K)

Tons of "neat" stuff but mostly bloat honestly. 28d was the golden years. Still the best fort I ever had was in 28d fully decked out steel army with adamantine weapons. It was on a desert biome so I had no trees had to trade for wood and brought tons. Back then there was no caverns. Loved it. New features are cool but the minecarts are too complicated not enough benefit to implement no real reason since there are now wheelbarrows. Librarys and temples and Taverns are cool but just flare. Its mostly all flare. The military rework is really good though but took me forever figure out. giving 5 orders of 2 people training every month... Really unintuitive and I haven't seen any real good guides explaining how to do it.

You can download some preset jobs if you use the rapist

>make a fort in an area thats supposedly dangerous
>get all production going, each dorf has a room, military is up and training
>two ingame years pass and the most interesting things that happen are some faggot dwarfs making a chair their heirloom or some shit and throwing it in their storage
yeah no, game is boring as fuck

release the fucking update toady

I don't understand a shit about that game

I feel like there's not many more big features he can add. The only thing I can think of is being able to affect the world at large by declaring wars and such

It was inevitable.

Attached: region2-00250-01-01-world_map.png (585x585, 29K)

magic, boats, mounting, and the economy that he ditched are all planned to be added back in eventually

his idea for magic is nuts and if he manages to get it working on any level it'll be the most amazing thing ever

>Game is only going to run worse the more updates they add to the simulation side of things

After the big conversation/rumour update came out the game started chugging so fucking bad in adventure mode. This fucker is going to die before he can finish the game and die again before he can rework the code to actually run on more than a single thread.

Is he still refusing to take on help?

I need someone to draw this right now. No mercy for furrys

Attached: brutal.png (1891x1028, 117K)

I wanna how do i play?

for me, it's on the coast somewhere to the east of that human town
>in range of goblins and elves
>build a huge-ass pier-fort and throw your enemies into the fucking sea

He has it in his will to release the code if he happens to die before he finishes it.

In a scale of 1 to 10 how autistic you are?

go to bay12, download the latest version. just go for it.
you'll need to use the wiki as occasional reference, but don't dive too deep into guides etc. because 90% of the fun in DF is figuring out how things work on your own

That's one positive but ultimately what we'll get from that is a hundred different autism projects but none will have his vision.

I wish i was autistic enough to learn how to better fine tune world gen instead of using the preset stuff. Tired of sifting through 30 something worlds until i find one that doesnt look like a fucked up jigsaw puzzle or isint just a massive continent of swamp.

Attached: Ushul Minbaz The Realm of Enchanting.png (1920x1080, 224K)

I would if the graphics weren't so shit. For now, Factorio and Rimworld are my goto autism outlets.

Why isn't there a fucking good excavator game with top notch dirt physics

git gud

but it's boring

Because you havn't made it user.
Chase your dreams.
Only thing to consider is how to make it a Battle Royale? Implementing the cashshop is a no brainer.

It would make a fantastic VR game. I'm guessing the processing power to do such things is not quite there yet, or maybe it is? I don't know.

Attached: Circularvolcanofort.png (1920x1080, 279K)

Attached: dorf.png (400x285, 156K)

I want to because everything I've heard about it sounds cool as fuck but I'm too retarded to even make progress in adventure mode

Building circles is such a massive pain in the ass

>Wanted to give adventurer adamantite armor
>First time playing Fort Mode long enough to get to Fun Veins
>Everything going pretty well
>Being extra careful with designations to make sure I don't dig too deep
>Managed to make one piece of adamantite armor before I got greedy and unleashed hell
>Didn't know everything gets scattered when your fort gets fucked
>Spend like 2-3 hours searching everywhere with adventurer to locate single piece of armor
>There aren't even any demons around to make it interesting
>Couldn't find it

Made me take a break from the game for like a year.

>only 10
You need at least 20 times the normal amount of autism to play it user.

I tried a training simulator at a job fair like a decade ago that was actually pretty cool
Nothing too impressive graphically and didn't simulate dirt as a collection of particles with physics or anything but it did angle of repose calculations for dirt piles and trench walls and such and had them collapse if you fucked up. They had two joysticks set up like the actual controls in the cab and it was a lot of fun to just dig random holes and shit.

Now that I'm thinking of it I'd love a VR excavator game where things start out simple, you're just a dude who just finished saving up enough to get a small excavator and start his own business, do a couple small jobs around town and things ramp up in craziness and by the end you're driving some ridiculously huge machine and like, building earthworks to repel a demon invasion while constructing a ramp so you can ascend to the portal and destroy it before the earth is lost

You want RimWorld then. It lacks the Z depth, but art is serviceable and basically takes all the problems of DF and addresses them, if not fixes them.

Fuck

DF is the only game I always keep with me, either on the phone or laptop. God I'm getting hard thinking about the magic system Toady describes

Hell yeah

But then adds some other problems you need mods to fix

Admittedly I've only played about 100 hours so far, but haven't used any mods yet.

It was. That fort ended up drowning in lava after I accidentally designated a wall of that volcano chute to be dug.

Attached: DNoib.png (894x909, 111K)

>phone
waht

chroot

You are a lying coon. The game is designed to through encounters at you every so often, and is guaranteed to do so after you hit your first cave. Less than 4th years into my current colony and we've crafted 12+ artifacts

Attached: 1552294132365.jpg (514x796, 158K)

but do you actually play it on a tiny ass screen like that

That ECO game has an excavator, I've never played it so idk how good it is though,

are you serious?

i love it but the FPS death always discourages me from picking it up again

>FPS death the game

yeah no come back to me when i dont have to gimp my own playstyle because MUH SLOW DOWN, MUH TEMPERATURES and MUH STAIRS

WHAT IS TOMORROW'S ANNOUNCEMENT

Attached: 1545756962999.png (540x270, 52K)

I agree I read an interview on the magic changes and it sorta freaked me out. Made me wonder why no other developer has attempted to auto generate world building on the level of dorf. Like "world auto generates so the value of teleportation is essentially nil, so everyone just teleports instead of moving. World degrades into factions just teleporting bombs into enemies shit, no one ever wins or can even grow."

Don't you just love it when you make cotton candy equipment for your dorfs and they kill kobolds like pitbulls?

Attached: JTDC.png (1415x1151, 440K)

one day this will need to be looked at seriously. considering the way combat works in adventure mode, this biting/scratching crap is surely not an intended feature

Untill he nerfs arrows in adventure mode then no

>Get quest from lord early on to go kill Ogre
>Definitely do not have the stats to kill Ogre
>Go find Ogre anyway
>Get a few injuries but manage to make him pass out from exhaustion within like 20-30 turns
>Have to spend the next literal 400 fucking turns hacking away at every single body part, knocking out his teeth, trying to cut off toes and fingers (teeth go out easily, fingers not so much) before he dies

Surely if the enemy is defenseless and I aim a heavy stab towards his dumb fucking head or neck then it should be a killing blow

do you not realize how easy it is to powergame on adventure mode?

it's brutal killing a giant like that. glad they're unconscious and not wailing in pain, even the repetitive stock autism-dialogue would make me feel bad

>no Mike Mulligan game
Why even play vidya!?

Attached: 36492_1.jpg (643x588, 71K)

The dialogue rework and the whole relationship thing did really odd things to the game. It used to be that things were either consistently aggressive or not, now I can walk into a village, accuse a vampire and absolutely nothing will happen. I've managed to hack away at one before it fucking ran away, I slept in a house next door until it came back and then it didn't even react to me walking into the same house as him.

And just before that Ogre attacked me we had a very brief conversation, he was nice while he charged towards me to pummel me.

Hasn't had a meaningful update in almost 5 years. And surprise surprise, that's when he started getting dosh from Paypigreon.

What is he planning exactly?

just started playing.
my first fort like 100 dwarves died from thirst because I didnt know you could store water in ponds for winter
my second fort I'm on right now. trying to make a bigass hole in the ground around the perimeter that goes down 20+ levels

Is that supposed to be something?

>grab throat
>choke
It's the most effective way to do it.
Grab with your teeth for extra style.

Tried it, with every limb I could use. Only option was to release.

pcgamer.com/au/dwarf-fortress-creator-tarn-adams-talks-about-simulating-the-most-complex-magic-system-ever/

How the fuck do i fix/correct depression spirals?
I had a fucking good start of a fort. Had just over 100 dwarfs and was able to almost get steel production ready in the first year. Almost had my main wall done and thats when one of the new migrants threw a tantrum because his lazy ass was out in the snow building my wall. During his tantrum he picks a fight with my axe dwarf guard captain in the small temperary tavern i built at the start. The fight that broke out reeled in another ten dwarfs to an all out brawl killing the tantrum dwarf and maiming most of the others. Tantrum dwarf was the brother to my main metal smith, also one of my first dwarfs. Metal smith swiftly feel into depression becoming useless so i kicked him out, which pissed off the other starting dwarfs, except for morgroh who didnt give a fuck that rat bastard. So now those other pissed off dwarfs are going around yelling and picking fights with the rest of the fort. I dont even make it to spring before my pop is below 50 and most of those that are left are flashing red for bad moods.

It was just alittle fucking snow, why.

Attached: 1302632535250.gif (320x194, 1.37M)

Landmass, light blue is an icecap, grey triangles are mountains and their foothills, green can be plains, hills, or forests, I think light and dark blue lines are major rivers and the yellow is a desert or an arid enviroment.

Get on HRT, buy girls clothes off Amazon and have horny men ogle you on /soc/, now fuck off

the fuck are you even going on about

The idea of scaling up is interesting. In general for all open world mining/crafting type games, the idea of scaling up into bigger machines that mine out the same areas, but larger quantities, and doing so seamlessly in an open-world type game, that is something that hasn't been done well yet.

it's really hard to recover from one but from what I know you have to basically isolate the non-affected people as fast as you can and just try to ride it out, you're probably going to lose a lot but you won't lose everything

smelly ant feet is the best champion, fuck the sten the minotaur and the purple menace

Waiting for the fucking update in the faint hope he finishes balancing dwarf mood and food thoughts

Just type digcircle set # or whatever the dfhack CMD is

Source on the HD mod?

>inb4 Lake of Bile.jpg

Jesus christ he's insane.

I just want a magic system like Lord of the Ice Garden where finding a place/object of power and having a competent understanding of physics will make you a literal walking God.

Moods and thoughts are still touchy. The memory system means they get constant PTSD from remembering that one time they saw a goblin tooth or got rained on 10 years ago.
Also they don't socialize in the current version and they don't get thoughts from eating good quality food anymore, which means you need to try and grow all 280 types of fruits and vegetables to try and hit maybe 80% of your fort's food preferences

I wish I had the autism to play dwarf fortress

It's piss easy to play mate.

>Be 15 years old
>Learn the UI and most of the game with no problems
Are you actually a brainlet?

Sure, the magic system sounds cool and all but what I want is for Toady to make above ground construction as simple as digging. I'm getting tired of "b->C->w uuuuuuuuuu" on repeat.

Attached: 1551277550691.jpg (550x550, 106K)

b -> C -> w -> b bruv

What?

Attached: Dwarf_Fortress_2019-03-12_00-39-24.png (308x375, 5K)

When the fuck are they gonna add boats?

>Hit first cave
>Covers 3/4 my map
>Send all dwarves to build walls on perimeter of caves
>one Dwarf doesn't finish
>Giant flaming ogre stuck on the top of 3z high wall
>Just tell dwarves not to go there
>Never have to go outside again.

based

Computer is better able to compute the world if the graphics are shit though.

just missing the autism

>tfw to dumb too understand too know too how too play dwarf fortress

dd allows you to dig into dirt/stone on the level you're looking. di allows you to dig up down. allows you to change levels. bw lets you build workshops. dt lets you cut down trees. bp lets you build farms. q lets you select buildings to give them instructions, including farms. farm plump helmets for now. Look up anything you don't understand on dwarffortresswiki.org/

That's about all you need to get started.

Attached: 1545516834125.jpg (596x1042, 169K)

I would but i'm angry.

>he was nice while he charged towards me to pummel me.
yeah I've had that many times, weird stuff. went on an ettin-hunting mission with one adventurer and made a point of giving a pleasant greeting to each one, they all responded kindly and talked about how they were feeling as they charged headlong at me with murder in their eyes

>Hear about troubles with bandits from villager
>Go find bandits
>3 asleep
>Brain all of them with spear without waking any
>But wait, there's more
>Find another bandit up a hill not too far
>Have a nice chat with him
>Find out about some other troubles
>Kill him
>Look around some more
>Find chieftess
>Tell her I killed her bois
>She gets angry, spits at me but that's it
>Have to attack her first
>Kill her

So anticlimactic.

And there was one final bandit that I couldn't fucking find so that trouble will be eternally unresolved.

I love df and yet I can't stand playing it. Everything inevitably slows down to the point where a single season takes like a whole day in real-time.

>calls someone a zoomer
>doesn't recognize it

Attached: 20190128_122100.png (624x476, 16K)

To all the people who want to get into it, but find it too complicated at first, I'd advise following a video guide, for your first fortress, at least that was the hot stuff when I first played DF, 7 years ago or something?

captnduck's video on youtube did the trick, but it's probably very outdated by now, unless he has something new. Just trying to understand what's written on the wiki and translating into the game, as a new player can be really frustrating.

Dwarf Fortess is unexpectedly insane.
>Guard punches man who knocked down a shelf
>His head explodes
>Bunch of brain everywhere
>need two caskets to carry his ass to the graveyward.

youtu.be/0FW23bamIZI

Yeah, I have to keep it under 100 dwarves or that happens every time. Toady doesn't understand multithread processing at all.