Is Smash a fighting game?

This gets talked about a lot, and I feel like the talk always gets mired by drama between the Smash community and the FGC. I'm not asking if Smash is a part of the FGC (it's not), I'm asking if Smash is a fighting game.

Attached: confused screaming.jpg (342x342, 9K)

No, it's not.

It's a 'fighting game', but not a competitive fighting game.

Attached: 1548093356318.jpg (1024x1004, 118K)

Yes, it is.

This is an interesting topic that will likely yield insightful discussion!

Then what is a competitive fighting game? It's a fighting game. It's competitive.

Name 3 (three) other competitive fighting games released in the last year that does not have patch notes with each update.

Is that honestly where we're drawing the fucking line? Patch notes?

Party game with fighting dynamic.

Yes. Only brainlets say otherwise. Usually, they have to go through such rigorous mental gymnastics to convince themselves it isn't. Sad!

Attached: based.png (441x447, 110K)

Attached: DxtG0NTUUAALiB9.jpg (1280x720, 160K)

Like the fact that the mechanics of Smash are not the same as the mechanic for any other game considered a fighting game?

take a shower

Fighting games as a genre is still far too young and to untested to truly make that distinction. Hell it's a big of an undefined mess as the RPG genre.

Attached: Dude weed lmao.png (304x397, 117K)

Mechanics for Gears of War, Halo, CSGO, Call of Duty are also different. Which of these are shooting games?

Smash bros is a competitive fighting game when you play under very specific circumstances. I don't think that's a bad thing, but it's probably why a lot of people consider the game inherently casual. I disagree with that, the games (especially ultimate and melee) are very mechanically deep, but whatever.

People who don't think it's a fighting game because it's not a 1v1 on a flat surface with health bars are retarded, though. Way too narrow of a definition for fighting games.

Why are tournament settings not the default in a 'competitive fighting game'? Why do fans (manchildren) have to find out changes between updates? Why was the competitive scene outright discouraged by the series' creator 3 games in? None of these sound like components of a competitive fighting game.

It is a game in which you fight but its competitive scene developed in isolation with Melee

>over thirty years
>too young

As opposed to the titan that is the fps genre. (Street Fighter 2 came out a year before Wolfenstein 3D by the way)

Attached: 1540583339615.png (1070x601, 779K)

It's a platform fighter.

>insert it's perfectly normal not to shower every day pasta

How about outside of specific circumstances, your attacks don't actually guarantee death? If I hit you with a sliver of health left in SF, you die. If I hit you with a sliver of health left in Smash, you fly off and get a chance to recover still. The mechanics are not the same.