The sequels were never good. It all started and ended with the first game. This is the truth

The sequels were never good. It all started and ended with the first game. This is the truth.

Attached: 1552347719975.jpg (1024x576, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3GXVXYl3_8c
youtube.com/watch?v=_7E550f4lrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8gVWOy7uo
youtube.com/watch?v=Rn98FdSg-Fo&t
youtu.be/rY2Vpcm8CYM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They improved technically, but they lost pretty much all of the original's SOUL.

It mostly has to do with music. The original soundtrack was something... I can't really find the words for it. Melancholic and dreamy are the best terms that come to mind.

The first game felt very... calm. It's hard to describe. Remember Noveria? Damn comfy.

I wish I was better at describing things...

Fuck I just finished the first one for the first time and was looking forward to starting ME2. Should I even bother?

Yes, it's a good game, but different from the first.

ME1 and ME2 has both their strengths and weaknesses. ME3 starts off good then turns into a dumpster fire by the end.

It's just different. Doesn't have the comfiness of the first game. People say the shooting is better but honestly I've never had a problem with the firsts shooting mechanics. I think it's just people that love third person cover shooters that say that. Also thermal clips were a mistake.
Still though, if you enjoyed the first it's worth it to go through the trilogy at least once. Just have an open mind about the changes they made to the sequels.

ME1 was the only one with a decent story
ME2 was trash and anyone who says otherwise is a contrarian faggot
ME3 was terrible in everything except the actual combat

Alright thanks for talking me off the ledge

Yeah I probly would have played them all anyways. I was mostly surprised cuz I feel like most non Yea Forums people say 2 is the best

I really love the first game but hate the 2nd and 3rd. It was just amazing to go from the Citadel to you ship and fly across the galaxy to some outpost on a planet to talk to people and from there you can drive to another place all without a single loading screen.

I remember trying to play the third one and every mission was just you getting dropped off, walking through a shooting gallery style level with enemies, and then at the end it fades to black and you are back on the ship for more story. It was just not fun to play at all.

>They were never good user
No idea why people like mass effect at all, but sure, enjoy your buggy confusing and boring game, user.
I'm glad Bioware is finally dead so people can stop pretending they ever made good games.

Who are you quoting, retard?

this makes me feel better since i only played the first. but i played the demo for mass effect 2 and they changed literally everything.

the first was pretty basic and straight forward, but they made every enemy kill feel technical and significant. like clearing a room of 2 to 3 enemies was a legit task given the mechanics of shepherd and the game itself. i

the second game...first thing i noticed it looked different, wasn't as sharp and precise looking and it played like a incredibly generic 3rd person action shooter which gave me erectile dysfunction.

played the demo for the 3rd game right after...i just remember thinking it looked slightly better than the second.

bought andromeda from the ps store for like 11 dollars. its literally a bisexual nu-male space adventure. just wtf is up with my male character wiggling his hips when he walks like a female? thankfully it was on sale. but it doesn't even remotely capture those initial feels from the first game. not even close.

I'm quoting every one who s played a bioware game in the last 5 years, or have you been living under a rock

>Should I even bother?
Might as well. Plot is pure filler and they streamlined (casualised) some of the mechanics but it's still a fun ride. The classes feel a lot more unique after ME1 too, they're not just different combos of the same skills anymore

>buggy confusing and boring game
What game are you trying to describe?

Barely anyone says they were never good. Stop making broad generalized statements.

you hit the nail on the head my nigga

>no krogan romance

Attached: 1543858783226.gif (500x281, 806K)

only if you play 2 as the start of its own series. me 1 and me2/3 are completely different stories

only redeeming thing about 3 was the multiplayer which was actually pretty great for a horde mode. i miss falcon punching everything with a batarian

>hey guys lets take everything that was unique about the first game, throw it out and make it a gears clone
you're alright, frogposter

>that soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3GXVXYl3_8c

TAKE ME BACK, AHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 1519948991867.webm (1280x720, 2.8M)

but 2 is the best one

And Far Cry 2 and GTA 4 were the best as well right? You contrarian bangwagoners are so stupid.

Oh sorry, you might not have realized, I understand if you have a learning disability, you are a fan of mass effect after all. I was talking about how the first game, when it wasn't bugging out to shi t was either run down a hallway and shoot or stand perfectly still and stiffly make the same 5 recycled animations.
Hope that clear things up for you

ME2 is the best game of the series. Only place that thinks ME1 is better is Yea Forums.

Attached: MAGA.jpg (800x820, 149K)

>Stop making broad generalized statements.
>Barely anyone said they were never good.

Attached: 1511478441408.jpg (800x715, 60K)

Cute and smart redheads in every galaxy!

Attached: 32423456546.jpg (1092x600, 203K)

call daddy cause he just spanked your ass

Eh. Yeah.

I started another playthrough since it’s been years. First game still holds up really well, and I’m pumped to see the trilogy through even after knowing how ME3 is.

samefag

ME2 strips rpg elements, lessen the strategic depth of powers, and focuses on bland TPS cover shooting. The writing is still excellent and arguably better than it was in the first game. If you don't mind Uncharted gameplay you should give it a try.

Seething idiot grasping at straws, I didn't need validation to point out your stupidity, faggot.

ME1 had a tone of trepidation, as you go from being a space grunt to an emissary of humanity gaining place in the galaxy. You find a prothean ruin, find out Saren desteoyed a colony for it, there are geth for some reason, amd Saren is always a stwp ahead. The music is hopeful, ominous, tentative, and has an unmistakable sci fi sound to it as you uncover what Saren is doing, hos tye geth fit in, and have a grand story unfolding.

ME2 still has some sci fi tones, but the music is about action and bombast. The collectors kill you in the first 5 minutes. TIM tells you what the plot is (collectors kidnap people), and you spend the entire game finding out why they kidnap people (which is pretty much THE big narrative reveal, saved for the last half hour). You pretty much investigate the abductions and gather your team to fight the enemy. No sense of grand exploration, just driving action as you stop the collectors and find out the motive. Humanity's place is now a known quantity, we know tue aliens and their histories, we know the reapers are coming, and we know the plot is to shoot the bad guys. The sense of initial discovery is gone, and the music reflects that. The orchestra swells and you shoot the aliens in the head.

>nuh uh!
>no u!
Fuck off, kid

wow really great job on that post

ME1 was never good and if you liked it, you're an idiot.

>too much class overlap, most classes played virtually the same
>character progression is entirely vertical, no such thing as different builds
>itemization is boring and uninteresting, each piece of gear has the same 3 basic stat affixes that give you a .1%~ increase in attack/defense/etc
>abundance of useless gear, giving you plenty of omni-gel to bypass the hacking/lockpicking mechanics, making their respective skills useless
>a whopping 4-fucking weapon types, all of which played the same, weapon mods did little to fix this
>every weapon is the same recolored fish gun until you get into late game where you also get recolored box guns
>clunky, sluggish movement
>generic cover-based shooting
>guns feel like wet-farts when firing
>useless squadmate AI
>unable to directly control squadmates like a normal squad-based RPG
>enemy AI's idea of tactics was to either turtle behind cover or directly run up to you and shoot you in the face
>side missions consisted of going to a barren, recolored planet and finding one of the same crate-filled copy-pasted bunkers you've seen on other planets
>free roam mako missions consisted of driving in a straight line across said barren planets until you got to said copy-pasted bunkers
>main mission mako segments consisted of driving along a linear path, stopping every 30 seconds to wipe out a group of harmless ground troops, or to chip away at geth armatures/rocket towers which fired comically slow-moving projectiles at you
>every squadmate is a boring cutout except for garrus and wrex
And it's most sinful fuckup:
>gave us the dialogue wheel

There's probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting, as well, but it's been a while since I've played this pile of shit.

I will say, though, that the music and atmosphere are great and the frisbee grenades are satisfying as hell.

ME2 wasn't great either, but at least it had functional shooting and more than 2 likable characters.

ME1 has more in depth gameplay, ME2 has superior story and characters. Depends on what kind of gamer you are

ME2 was great and probably my favorite of the series. ME1 was just different altogether from all the other games and felt more like traditional bioware storytelling. There was a lot of wrong with ME3 but I put the most hours into it because of multiplayer. Andromeda isn't mass effect.

The gameplay got better with each game. The writing suffered though.

Hilarious you called me a kid when your whole bitchfit is about somebody telling you a game you like isn't universally praised. Grow some thicker skin you asshurt biodrone.

Based.

i feel memed bros, what should i do?

Attached: 555.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

You are legit retarded. My first post was about you misusing greentext.

it was a decent game, but its only praised heavily nowadays because it was babbys first rpg for kids who started gaming on the 360.

2's good as a stand alone game

> ME2 has a superior story

are you pretending? the whole game is just a giant side quest

Mass Effect 2 is the best game in the series. It fixes a lot of the clunky stupidity of the first one in gameplay, makes classes actually mean something, has the best companions, is a self contained Armageddon type suicide mission so it can focus entirely on character and world building. Everyoke who sucks off ME1 conveniently forgets all the really bad stuff that legitimately needed streamlining. Now go on autists flame away and post pictures of planet scanning.

Attached: IMG_20190308_195241.jpg (674x715, 62K)

Because the series turned from space opera to space action

ME2's story makes no sense but everything else is pretty good.

ME3 has the best and worst writing in the series

>Without a single loading screen

Why are you blatantly lying. Don't tell me you fell for the elevators

All the people who talk about ME2 removing depth from the combat confuse the fuck out of me. Its the game that introduced move combinations both on your own and with allies and strengthened class roles so that everything didn't feel exactly the same only limiting which guns you had access to.

Not even just the writing. ME3 looks significantly worse than 2.

heh... nothing personnel kid

Attached: feg.png (1351x207, 16K)

second one is better than the first one in most ways. third one has better combat, but worse everything else.

why do people talk about Mass Effect 1 like it had any strategy or depth to its combat? It was just brainless in combat and cumbersome using mechanics outside of it.

OLD GOOD NEW BAD basically. EAs involvement means Yea Forums has to ride or die the first and refuse to admit 2 and 3 did anything right whatsoever

youtube.com/watch?v=_7E550f4lrQ

Attached: noveria.jpg (2290x1080, 1.92M)

I really believe some people feel that way. The people you're talking with now here aren't the same people from 10 years ago. Not trying to make you feel too bad, but that's how it is.

Pretty much

The first game was the only one which tried to do the whole Syd Mead/70s sci-fi with even optional film grain filter, the second game was decent, but didn't have any of the spirit of the original.

Attached: 1415831679247.jpg (2245x1054, 2.76M)

ME2 had a much weaker soundtrack, however, that Suicide Mission track was still godly.

>ME3 starts off good
Its intro manages to be even worse than ME2's and that is an accomplishment

This track still gives me chills

youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8gVWOy7uo

ME2 soundtrack is painfully underrated. Every character had nice soundtracks for their missions that would be build up until the final battle.

ME1 was a good space opera/strong on narritive, but the combat was bland and large parts of the game were boring filler

ME2 was stronger on the combat, tied it nicely to the narrative, and cut the fat off of the series. Its is why its so heavily praised and my personal favorite.

ME3 was meh tier in the fact that it failed to deliver a good ending to the trilogy. I personally think its an OK game (especially with the citadel DLC) but its still pretty weak compared to ME1 and 2

And we dont talk about Andromeda.

>ME2 was trash and anyone who says otherwise is a contrarian faggot
I like 2 better than 1. That said it had a lot more dlc. The first 1 had two story dlc's. The second had more and costume DLC's.

The one thing ME2 did well was its characters. And that's mainly because all the writing and gameplay effort went toward them. The majority of the game is dedicated to collecting this group of misfits and then solving their personal issues.

And even then they're not all that great. More vibrant and entertaining that the ME1 cast but still kind of crap.

Attached: 1515201586477.png (1600x751, 158K)

I can still remember becoming a Spectre in the first game, truly an amazing moment.
The only good thing to come out of 3 was Marauder Shields.

Every EA sequel just spells the beginning of the end.
You can see how the game is slowly turning to shit.
ME2 and DS2 are prime examples

Attached: pressf.jpg (800x450, 199K)

>Tied it nicely to the narrative and cut the fat
Fucking what. It literally sidelined the entire plot of ME1 for collectors and their stupid fucking GIANT HUMAN ROBOT IS THE PINNACLE OF MONSTERS. You are the reason ME3 was made you fucking shithead

Attached: 1552250808212.jpg (200x315, 11K)

>anwar
>brown

I was talking about the tying in the narrative to the combat, not its narrative relation to ME1

Attached: wrex.png (523x1023, 643K)

>narrative claims biotics are incredibly powerful
>gameplay prevents them from doing anything with THREE types of shield, which enemies can stack so 90% of their healthbar is biotic immune

I actually am pretty fond of the first ME but I can't put more than 5 minutes into the second
It feels so fucking unnatural and wrong

Mass Effect was always a soulless ripoff. Star Control 2, now THAT is an unmatched soulful experience.

Attached: 1552358373460.jpg (222x228, 14K)

Eh, never said it was a perfect game, just my personal favorite and comparatively better then the others.

>"the combat is tied nicely to the narrative"
>"it blatantly isn't"
>"I never said it was perfect!"

Do you fold this quickly every time one of your stupid opinions is called out

Attached: 1422808283366.jpg (300x179, 23K)

You have to be downright retarded to think ME1 was the best in the series.

I genuinely feel sorry for people with IQs lower than 80.

>ME2 was trash and anyone who says otherwise is a contrarian faggot

>contrarian

The irony...

Attached: that word.jpg (600x518, 51K)

Ding dong, your opinions wrong.

2 was a masterpiece, great music, great characters, great stories, great interactions, great all around. Don’t go listen to OP he’s a retarded faggot and if you follow his advice your going to end up picking the game apart ducking up your experience.

you can literally go play it right now

It's literally a waifu simulator with filler story and was the result of EA desperately chasing the Gears of War success fuck you.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rn98FdSg-Fo&t

Only idiots perpetuate that Kotaku clickbait shit.

ME2 had some of the best character writing (next to some of the worst character writing), shame it's in a game with a trash pointless plot and terrible gameplay, tied together with disgustingly jewish DLCs.

ME3 tried to find a middle ground between the looty-shooty-bangbang gameplay of ME2 and story of ME1 but failed miserably.

ME2 had a fantastic score senpai

What was the point of ME2s story again?

Side mission for fun, reapers shit talk more.

Absolutely. Just be ready for a game that is more action heavy and more about characters than the plot; the character work in ME2 is genuinely awesome, but the plot is pretty sparse.

Attached: 1547009793977.jpg (500x484, 40K)

>looty-shooty-bangbang gameplay of ME2
You dumb?

I think I would have liked ME3 more than 2 if they had leaned into Shepard's indoctrination a little bit more and then had a fucking resolution at the end. But I can't say for certain because I only ever played ME3 once while I played 1 and 2 over a dozen times combined,

there was a story?

It's the same as with Dragon Age. They set out to make a franchise that can be milked for several titles so the first game is always extremely heavy on worldbuilding, which draws people in and makes them remember the game fondly for years even when the gameplay had some flaws.

The second game is some action shlock to draw in the action crowd and the third game is just best left forgotten.

>>every squadmate is a boring cutout except for garrus and wrex
laira was purest waifu

Some people went missing so you get yelled at by Ashley

This place had constant threads for months when ME2 was new. I'm not ashamed to admit I loved the game back then and still like it now. I was never a fan of how hard 2 nerfed Adept and how much they rehashed the daddy issue plot though.

>soul
>less soul
>soulless

youtu.be/rY2Vpcm8CYM

I know a lot of people prefer Tali but Liara is best wifu for me

>entirety of the second game was filler and could be cut out of the trilogy without consequence

Yes you fucking bastard. You're gonna play 3 too. You're gonna feel the feel we felt.

>ME1 has more in depth gameplay,
>Upgrade your gun for it to shoot properly

Imagine Anthem 3

Damn, fucking nostalgia

ME2 is fine, story is inconsequential to the overall arc and the gameplay was dumbed down quite a lot but it's still good.

ME3 on the otherhand, ohoho.

>EVERY MASS EFFECT THREAD
MAD MAN

I want to know what faggot keeps posting this.

>press immunity to never die
>cycle biotics to permanently CC enemy
>only times I ever died on insanity was when a missile drone 1 shot me early OR two snipers double tapped me

based

Attached: c36.png (680x526, 583K)

Mass effect 2 is just as shitty as me3, but few are willing to admit it

based beyond belief

>and strengthened class roles
Yeah except it made pure biotics worthless

hey guys lets talk about our favorite moments/characters in the new mass effect!

Attached: 254264363737.jpg (1920x1080, 275K)

And ME1 is just as shitty. Hell in terms of gameplay, rpg elements, loot and gear, exploration etc, Andromeda is better than ME1.

As opposed to spending the game peeking corners like a parkinsons patient on adderal.

Vetra and Drak were cool.
Rest of the cast was either forgettable or just plain shit.

>favorite moment
I honestly can't think of one. I played 89 hours of Andromeda, and cant recall a single moment that I thought was cool or kick ass.

i actually started taking screencaps of the samey bunkers every side mission was in because I could have sworn every single one had the same map. i was mostly right, there was mild variation but it was basically shepard going through the same hallways over and over again

the only thing you forgot was that the inventory was horrendous, exacerbated by the mountain of useless gear. i autistically changed my ammo based on the enemies I was fighting so going into the menu, scrolling through a bunch of bullshit and switching ammo took like 4 seconds MINIMUM every time.

Are there any good mods for Mass Effect 1?

what I don't understand is that the first Mass effect had a 10/10 ending
you literally couldn't have made a better ending and serves as the standard for what a perfect ending looks like in any game
yet the ending in 2 was trash and the ending in 3 was utter fucking garbage Bioware had no idea what the fuck they were going to do so just threw the first rough draft they had at it and wrote it in
so what the fuck happened?
how did the same company know how to end a story and then somehow forget for the second and then absolutely refuse to give a shit about it on the third?
how do you degrade that bad?
I think that gives some insight into what was going on with Bioware, or at least some clues
call me a retarded faggot if you think I'm wrong

Attached: 1537798985304.png (300x168, 6K)

I have a bone to pick with you.

Every day I wonder why God allowed such an heresy to happen.
Just... just never play the third game, it retroactively ruins the first two, and specially, the few good moments the second game had. No it's not JUST the ending, the entire thing is the biggest amount of garbage you'll ever see in gaming form.

Attached: consumed by the warp in spanish.png (800x676, 486K)

The ending wasn't THAT good, jesus wept

Attached: 122345.png (586x406, 63K)

yes it was
I'd go as far to say there wasnt a better ending of any game

>Yea Forums trying to rewrite history again.

All of you lying pricks were praising the shit out of the second game, before the third. This series was what the Witcher is now to this site and reddit. Either you're underage or your ass is lying if you say you never liked the second game.

Attached: 1399883464638.png (487x364, 159K)

The first game isn't even good at all

>Yea Forums is just one collection of people that has always been and always will be
>people will never leave or join Yea Forums
>all of Yea Forums shares one opinion on all topics

>All of you lying pricks were praising the shit out of the second game
That was mostly Talifags and you know it

1 is better, but I think 2 is still comfy. I'm a sucker for interacting/gaining loyalty of followers in my vidya

Me1 existed in a world where actions had consequences. The world building in me1 was never surpassed by the sequels because each planet had a purpose and theme that fit within the scope of the game. Me2 and the latter games compromised the vision of the series to sell out to advertisers. Jessica chobot, etc. The core changes or making me a cover shooter ruined it. Me1 was had some of that bio ware jank to it but it was definitely a labor of love. The sequels were not

There was a core group of people who hated 2 back then. Also, me1 was so good that it made people go into Me2 thinking it would at least be on par so they gave it more excuses than you woudl a normal game, before realizing it was garbage

Its like a debate between OT Star Wars and Star Trek, both 1 and 2 are good. ME2 is like Aliens., a lot of the mystery and discovery is gone and its time to start with the solution and action

Attached: masseffect.jpg (1680x1050, 158K)

>lot of the mystery and discovery is gone and its time to start with the solution and action
Mass Effect ended on a note of trying to find a way to stop a seemingly unstoppable enemy, an enemy that was trying to be Lovecraftian in their scope and mystique. Mass Effect 2 was absolutely not the time to drop mystery and discovery and go all in with a plot about a desperate suicide mission to save the day.

Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect 1 but you're right about the music. That 80s synth style was awesome and it's a shame they traded it for something more Hollywood.

>lessen the strategic depth of powers
Tactical. The only proper first-person strategy game I know of is Battlezone.

ME2 is the best_ of the trilogy. Fantastic writing, and while it lacks a lot of ME1's depth, it at least somewhat makes up for it by stripping out everything clunky about ME1 in the process (i.e. the Mako missions and the inventory management). The fantastic writing really can't be overstated, the character-work is what really makes it but it also gives the world a lot more of a sense of charm and liveliness that the first game's relatively isolated feeling really lacked. Even the populated areas in that game felt sterile; ME2 has a lot more humor, as well as more personal depth.

ME3's gameplay is rock solid, the best in the series imo with fun shooting and more RPG stuff than 2. The writing really lacks something compared to both 1 and 2 though, it feels more shallow and MUCH more contrived. There are some really amazing levels that culminate the big struggles of the series' races in a great way, but the final level is disappointing in many areas, and the ending? Hoo boy, Extended Cut required (at least it's free) but even then...

I love both 1 and 2 equally. They're both drastically different, but they excel on what they set out to do. I couldn't imagine playing one without the other.

I really wish games copied the Loyalty Mission mechanic though. They were the highlight of the series for me.

>The fantastic writing really can't be overstated
It can be and you have. So much of the writing is atrocious in 2. You're never allowed to have a single decent argument with the Illusive Man because you're railroaded into working with him. None of the people who make claims about Cerberus being good or the Alliance being bad ever elaborate on those claims. The central plot is supposedly about missing colonists but you only ever meet a single colonist and he's a prick who serves to set up the insultingly bad conversation with the Virmire Survivor. Besides some good character moments in recruitment and loyalty missions, the dialogue is largely garbage.

>>Yea Forums trying to rewrite history again.
>All of you lying pricks were praising the shit out of the second game, before the third.
1. Publisher and/or developer make a "streamlined" sequel aiming to bring in a wholly different audience.
2. The different audience arrives, in overwhelming numbers, and predictably praises all the changes because things the new audience do not value in video games (and, in case of some percentage of their userbase, do not understand) are replaced with things they appreciate.
3. As the sequel's essentially new genre imposes shorter periods of interest/dedication the new, larger userbase stops caring before the remnants of original userbase do, creating an apparent discrepancy.

Dumb nigger thinks having too many skills to put points in most of which were useless and shitty hordes of garbage gear in treasure chests made ME1 better as an RPG

>All these people hating on the game that gave us Specialist Traynor

Attached: Smug Lesbo.jpg (1280x720, 56K)

>lesbian with an expensive toothbrush
What a compelling character

Vigil is the track name.

the parts on illium and omega in ME2 were the best in the series

In ME3 Tachunka and Rannoch were so damn good that it makes the rest of the games shitshow downright tragic by comparison

the garrus arkangel reveal was true kino

Don't lie, the first game is good in it's own right, but fucking full of jank by today's standards.

>Posh british data analyst who got roped into the fight and loves playing classic games like chess

>Andromeda comes out close to my birthday
>get hype before its release and replay the trilogy again
>pick up Andromeda
>fucking hate it
>never finish it
The game fucking killed Mass Effect for me. I probably won't replay any of them for a while, because now that no more games will be made, Refuse is technically the canon ending to 3.

don't @ me with your romanticized garbage, waifufag

>and its time to start with the solution and action
Solution to what? Certainly not the Reapers

>No gay romance with Garrus

Attached: d36a8wg-bc19e57d-a7b2-4f8f-b697-a1593f8a7a1c.jpg (680x442, 45K)

tried to get through me2 but it just felt so ancient waiting for various cues that started up quest chains from companions
communication should be a lot more natural
the games are very antiquated nowadays

Do you guys think it’s the same guy or just a group of people posting these

The sad truth is that Andromeda is the real Mass Effect 2 and did so many things right. The agenda pushing, shitty animations, and story being awful have made it so we'll never get a truly amazing successor. We'll only go back to the bullshit corridor shooters, slowly creeping up through between waist high walls. Biotics and tech powers really shine in the more open style of Andromeda, especially biotics. We'll only be able to charge through hallways from here on out.

Attached: Cake.jpg (506x337, 68K)

What do you glowing lights and a compass pointing you where to go?

all mass effects were terrible

i did her on one run and it was boring, she's cute but she has no content. it feels like they shoved her in quickly just to have another romance.

Both token gay characters in ME3 were like that. Its one of the problems with the concept

Fucking liar. Everyone complained about the blatant downgrade.

>There will never be a good porn game parody of this series called Mass Erect

>what the fuck happened

Attached: 7pkrW.jpg (1280x3000, 250K)

ME2 is the best in the trilogy though.

What about the terabites of SFM porn tho

Big gay shuttle man still felt more alive. I don't remember ever seeing Traynor outside the ship and I don't remember her having any interesting dialogue or any sort of character arc. She just stands next to your map and looks cute.

wrong

It goes in order

>>Buff gay shuttle man
>>Quantum Alenko that is both dead and Gay
>>Toothbrush joke Lesbian meant to invoke Willow from Buffy vibes and make you forget Kelly

If you read up on how Drew wanted to end ME3 it was just as dumb, possibly even worse. I doubt the game would've been any better had he stayed.

2 is still the best one though.

Attached: coffe.png (600x349, 230K)

>Alenko
He was straight in ME1.

2's gameplay is a bit weaker but character development is the best I would absolutely play it

What did he plan? "Ignore all the choices you've made up to this point and just pick your favorite colour" is pretty hard to beat

Except even in the quote where he outlines the original idea, he says it was just a rough draft and not what they were going to do

>liking one of the highest rating games ever made, from critics and audiences alike, is contrarian.

user, look up what that word means.

Revelation Space > Mass Effect

Enjoyed the first one but the last 2 were ass storywise

The original plot of ME3 was basically Gurren Lagann.

based

And that is also not "Fuck you pick a color and nothing happens we already made our money"

It was "Paragon: Tell the Reapers to fuck off and maybe doom all existence or Renegade: Willingly let the human race be genocided and maybe save reality itself" which I'm sure would have ended in a meaningful and tasteful ending video showing all your choices having a meaningful impact

Attached: 2uxotkx.jpg (800x800, 106K)

A proper novel is better than a video game? Such an outlandish concept.

ME's novels aren't much better

It was a few ideas about how the Reapers were trying to combat entropy crossed with 40kish stuff about biotics affecting the Warp.
Sure, I'll grant that. And to Drew's credit he himself says that not only was it never really hashed out but it never actually happened, so it's easy to see what you want to see in there. But that's what I'm saying. The problems with ME3 and ME on the whole went deeper than just the ending or even the writing.

Notice the "proper" part.

agree. same with halo. those two campaigns were amazing. eveything after that just feels like lifeless abortions.

RS and ME have similar concepts for their main villains. The motivations for the Inhibitors make sense while the Reapers don't. I don't think being in a video game versus being in a novel is a factor here. Shit writing is shit writing.

Yeah

It would have. We probably would have seen shit happen that they had been building to instead of randomly making a B plot take over like Conrad turning out to be the main villian or something something monkey vs robot

>The motivations for the Inhibitors make sense while the Reapers don't.
Before ME2 and especially ME3 motivations of the Reapers where unknown if not outright too alien to be comprehensible. I'm not saying the latter would've been a good thing if it was the direction they'd eventually settle with, but in ME1 this was undetermined.

KROGAN COCK

Mass Effect 2 is the best game in the series to play. ME1 has a better story and music, but it isn't enjoyable to play after a couple of playthroughs. ME3 plays like shit and movement and combat feels awful. ME2 is what the series should have been from day 1.

>but muh weapon mods and shallow af skill tree
ME1's weapon mods were 99% just recycled and the skill tree was appalling. ME2's streamlining was a significant improvement. Each class feels different and plays different in ME2 whereas in ME1, a Vanguard and Adept feels basically the same.

What's funny is that in 2010 there were constant ME threads and pretty much across the board (pun intended) people on Yea Forums loved ME2 and believed it improved a great deal upon ME1 and people happily enjoyed both games. Then ME3 came out and contrarians retroactively made it seem like Yea Forums always hated ME2.

Hence why I stated that I enjoyed the first one's story and not the last two. The Reapers were unknowable horrors in ME1, they went full retard in ME3.

In hindsight, OP is right.

>Then ME3 came out and contrarians retroactively made it seem like Yea Forums always hated ME2.
Whenever a new game comes out, the board is always flooded by casuals who like it. Skyrim was loved for the first week or two here, it felt like I was taking crazy pills because it played like a dogshit version of Oblivion.

ME2 was a fucking trainwreck. It started "okay" and ended in "absolutely fucking retarded, now buy microtransactions to finish the fight!" territory.

ME1 was a flawed space game that captured what everyone ultimately wanted from a space game, being Captain Kirk and taking out bad aliens while fucking the cute ones. 2 was a mess thematically, dumbed down the gameplay significantly, and was a disappointment to anyone with taste. 3 is so awful that I'm still amazed anyone even played it, I just watched a cut down LP and it was still intolerable.

Yeah, but I was saying how it was not an entirely fair comparison.

>ME2 was a fucking trainwreck
No it wasn't :) Ran smooth. Looked significantly better than ME1. Played better in pretty much every area with various quality of life improvements. Much better side missions. Most story missions were excellent. Baby Reaper was a bit shit, but would have been fine had Arrival not happened and made both ME1 and ME2 redundant in terms of story.

>while fucking the cute ones
They didn't make in a focus in 1 tho. That's one of the larger problems with 2 because it seems to be impossible to make an internally consistent game that doesn't obliterate your suspension of disbelief left, right and center that both takes itself at least somewhat seriously and is a waifu fucking simulator at the same time.

>dumbed down the gameplay significantly
i agree with everything else you said but ME2 and ME3 gameplay definitely has a lot more depth than ME1, having more skills and points to distribute and more weapons that are just reskins with higher numbers is not the same thing as more depth

no biotic/tech combos, weapons in each class were just almost exactly the same with slightly higher numbers (compared to something like the Mattock vs. the Revenant, two "assault rifles" but played very differently), biotics were absolutely braindead and gamebreaking because you could just CC everything with singularity and whittle it down even on insanity

ME1 - Best RPG
ME2 - Best companions/side quests, best combat
Me3 -

/v has never recovered from the ending of ME3. They retroactively hate everything now out of sheer spite towards EA

>Bioware
>Excellent writing
I find it difficult to believe.

Attached: 1503295575979.png (358x467, 87K)

Mass Effect as a series never reached its potential, and we should get more games for it.

Attached: 214[1].jpg (300x100, 26K)

ME2 only barely beats ME1 in the gameplay department and even that was a bad thing because it beat it in all the wrong ways

desu it's been like 6 years and i'm still mad

>Should I even bother?
Yes, you hemorrhoid. Nu/v/ shits asking questions like that, missing out on good games because of le internet haet machine xD faggotry. PLAY THE GAME.

Rewriting history again, are we.
There's a reason Yea Forums loved ME2 prior to ME3's release. So stop pretending it was always shit and admit it's ME3 that made you jaded.

There was a time when it considered common knowledge. I still remember Zero Punctuation reviews saying things like "Yeah Bioware has good story we expect it now you don't get points for that anymore". Its sad how much that has changed

MEA 2: Spaceballs Harder? Nah.

I would definitely like for a Mass Effect 2. A real one, not a game that goes in a completely different direction and "fixes" the issues with ME1's gameplay by deleting everything that needed work.

"I will always be mad" should be this boards motto

Because its fucking true. I will always be fucking pissed and its perfectly valid

>ME2 - Best companions/side quests, best combat
>best combat
lolno.

>So stop pretending it was always shit and admit it's ME3 that made you jaded.
No, it was always shit. I remember feeling insulted by the dumbed down gameplay, bored by the writing and then outright incredulous at the joke of an ending where you fight a fucking terminator or something, I've blocked most of it out because it's so dumb. I had absolutely no hope going into ME3, and it still managed to underperform.

Nah you can fuck off with your nostalgia goggles.
ME2's story was fucking shit because it was fucking irrelevant. Nothing that happened in ME2 mattered at all and this was obvious even without the even worse trainwreck that ME3 ended up being ruining everything further; even if ME3 had been a perfect end to the trilogy and a 10/10 game, ME2 would still be completely irrelevant. It was a common complain at the time that all ME2's plot amounts to is making friends so you can resolve an irrelevant subplot.
The gameplay was better and had a lot of quality of life improvements in the form of absolutely gutting every single thing that made ME1's gameplay unique and turning it into a 6/10 TPS if you play one of the boring classes like soldier and an 8/10 if you play one of the fun ones like vanguard.
The game is carried entirely on its characters, that was literally the only good thing about it, and even then there were stinkers like Jacob involved.
The plot was fucking retarded, joining Cerberus was retarded even if you weren't a Sole Survivor, Shepherd dying for the sake of hyping up a cool opening for trailers was retarded, all the bullshit retcons to make the game more action and less space opera were retarded.
ME2 was a failure of a sequel in every way and the only people who legitimately think it was amazing are people who played it first.

But it does have pretty good combat for a cover shooter.

Didnt you genocide a whole batarian system to delay the reapers in 2? Seems pretty important to me, considering without that they would not find the crucible plans etc etc.

I have to play Vanguard to not fall asleep playing it. Its easier to use the system than in 1, but its pretty repetitive. Say what you want about 3, but at least the enemies throw grenades at you to force you to move, lay down smoke to make you camp spot pointless etc.

That was from the DLC

>Shepherd dying for the sake of hyping up a cool opening for trailers
It was to reset the level 50 imported characters into something their game designers could handle.

No it doesn't, try playing it as a soldier, the game fucking sucks ass and is boring as shit especially on the higher difficulties where the longer fights have you spending 5 minutes running around looking for ammo to ruin the pacing completely.
The combat was acceptable for a cover shooter, if you played one of the better classes it was pretty fun, but it lacked the RPG mechanics that made the first game interesting in spite of its shitty base combat.

That's to justify not having to balance the game around starting at level 50 when other games with save importing have already done this with no issues. You balance the higher difficulties around imported characters and the normal mode around a default character.

Arrival shits all over ME1. The Reapers didn't need the Citadel at all, the Prothean scientists who sabotaged the Citadel accomplished nothing, Sovereign didn't have to get into a big panic and show himself to the galaxy, didn't even need to be in the galaxy at all. All the lazy faggots had to do was fly to the Alpha Relay and invade everywhere at once. Wouldn't have taken them a month. Takes them maybe six months without the Relay. That might as well be the blink of an eye to a billion year old machine that naps for fifty thousand years at a time.

>I have to play Vanguard to not fall asleep playing it. Its easier to use the system than in 1, but its pretty repetitive.
I never said I preferred the bland, "streamlined" cover shooter combat of 2 over flawed TPS-approximated shooting emulation backed by character skills that requires reading descriptions and planning (i.e. some thought process at all). The new Wolfenstein was way better.
And I'm not that user anyway. Just pointed that out for the sake of fairness.

>i suck at video games and just sit behind cover sucking my thumb, therefore soldier is bad :(

lmao ok

i understand if you only played on console or something, but with PC controls soldier can be played (and should be played) aggressively as fuck with constant adrenaline rush spam and constantly changing engagement distances

>The Reapers didn't need the Citadel at all, the Prothean scientists who sabotaged the Citadel accomplished nothing
Taking out the galaxy capital is a pretty important move. Cant they also control all of the relays from the Citadel? Seems important.

Look you stupid nigger, in the longer fights you will run out of ammo because there are just so many enemies to fight on the higher difficulties, and you will have to stop participating in combat when that happens to run around looking for thermal clips because casual retards complained about not being able to just hold down M1 without getting punished by overheating.

The entire point of the Prothean sabotaging the Citadel Relay is that the Reapers are stuck in Dark Space without it. They couldn't stop the process or destroy the Citadel but they could delay them.

But actually no it's just because the Reapers are lazy. The Alpha Relay connects to ALL Relays in the galaxy so it's just as good as showing up to the Citadel. No one is going to be able to stop them if they all come from the regular Relay in Widow rather than right out of the Citadel.

Pure grunt archetypes are boring in almost any game, yeah. And the "ammo" shit was praised by the shooterfags (i.e. the new target audience at the time) since it was revealed even before game's release so I'm not qualified to make a judgment call there. I was never a big fan even of tacticool shooters, let alone MOHAA derivatives.

And it was the ammo shit and the boring cyclical gameplay cycle that made it less fun. Also there was a far larger portion of the game devoted to combat than ME1. ME1 was an RPG, ME2 was just a TPS

After a 50k year nap, Id be groggy and a bit lazy too. I dont remember where exactly the Dark Space is, but having the Alpha Relay is pretty retarded. Well, the citadel should have been it if anything.

Attached: 1397412282266.png (1287x1119, 191K)

>ME1 was an RPG, ME2 was just a TPS
Do not confuse increasing numbers on a character sheet with playing a role. The former might enable or support the latter but is not a necessary prerequisite and definitely not an indicator of a game being an RPG. So I guess Charm and Intimidate skills qualify but even they had the problem of rarely gating options behind a New Game Plus. Otherwise the ways your characters can interact with the game world are about the same.
What does make 2 much more of a shooter and much less of an RPG are the new le gritty and edgy direction in everything, greater focus on combat and dumb retcons to excuse and support the previous two.

Mass effect and kotorfags are some of the worst normies because they act like at any point bioware was capable of writing a story or developing a good game. Fuck off

Attached: 453496754.jpg (217x172, 5K)

Charm and Intimidate usually didn't lock you out of things in ME1. You usually had ways around those checks, not always, but often. in ME2 if you don't have your good boy points or edgy points high enough you just get a bad ending to that quest. ME2 completely removed any and all customization of your equipment beyond "you can choose the strong slow pistol or the quick weak one". ME1 had you customizing parts which was significant even though the interface made it a pain in the ass. Instead of fixing that and then expanding the system, they just threw weapon and armor customization out the window completely other than some tiny upgrades to your base armor.
In 1 you could have characters using weapons they weren't trained in. With proper customization you had a reason to actually do this. In ME2 they just gutted it to dumb the game down for the CoD kids who would go on to praise it on Yea Forums.

>Charm and Intimidate usually didn't lock you out of things in ME1.
That's why I said "rarely", yeah.

>ME2 completely removed any and all customization of your equipment beyond "you can choose the strong slow pistol or the quick weak one".
This shouldn't have been a surprise, in retrospect. After all the new userbase can't plan so they just recycle anything that's not a straightforward +X to easily kill things.

I still love the first's music, especially the main theme you hear in the menus, it evokes the exploration of the unknown so perfectly. I'm not a fan of orchestral score phone-ins either.

>it evokes the exploration of the unknown so perfectly.
All I head is the Mako straining on a 85 degree incline surrounded by terrain generated by an algorithm that really didnt give a fuck.

Better than a mind-numbing hot and cold minigame.

Ok nostalgia fag.

the worst thing about it, I replayed all games 4 times, and still did all the planets

>2 the most popular game
>Y-You must be the contrarian because I am!!!

Its maybe because of the new game + bonuses, but I never had a problem with surveying. Is it a rich planet? Cool, let me drop few probes. Did it fall to good or below? Time to leave.

This was the one disappointing thing about planetary exploration, but it served its purpose, still a shame they simply axed it.

Good riddance with ME, because it's the epitome of generic space opera with absolutely horrendous gameplay.

Good thing you were forced at gunpoint to explore the sawtooth mountain regions.

Where's space opera with good game play?

Good thing there wasnt a single good looking (or pleasant to play) piece of terrain in the whole section of the game.
Save for about 3 sky boxes that looked cool, it was a giant waste of everyone´s time.

IT's a mindnumbing timewaster that isn't remotely fun in the slightest and is a complete slog on your first playthrough
Literally should not exist. The Mako was a thousand times better. Hitting my dick with a hammer would be about 2-3x better.

>good looking
Most planets IRL aren't. The overwhelmingly vast majority.

>(or pleasant to play)
In what manner? Lots of knee-high cover?

>mindnumbing
Its about as mindnumbing as squatting behind a single piece of cover for a whole wave of enemies because they dont have a way to force you out.

But you are right, its not fun.

Where does the meme of ME1 having more RPG elements come from? The skill menu is literally „point and click for 5% increase“ while 2 and 3 have „choose either bigger explosion or longer duration“. The wheel menu literally killed the rpg elements for dialogues.

Don't bother with 3 unless you get the DLC quests too. They're 2 out of the only 3 things in the game that aren't shit.

>Most planets IRL aren't.
The fuck is this retarded excuse? It all amounted to a randomly deformed single texture plane without any clutter to make it look better and with barely any designed features to make it actually fun to explore.

>The fuck is this retarded excuse?
It's the fundamental difference between the approaches. "Let's make a space opera that at least tries to have believable space tech most of the time" versus "dude pwn mooks & bang blue bitches lmao".

It isn't fair lads

Attached: garrus shepard 16.jpg (550x688, 133K)

So the obvious solution is to add more scenery to make them less samey and add more reasons to explore them. Not to just cut them, and replace them with a sphere with a .png on it that you fondle for 15 minutes for more good boy points.

Gameplay was pretty good in Andromeda. Shame about everything else.

I agree with you, but turn down that hyperbole. If you spent more than 2 minutes on a planet you were actually scanning, you might have a mental issue.

/thread

There was no need for any other replies

Just waxing goddamn nostalgic

Attached: ZaeedMassani.jpg (469x500, 170K)

garrus is for bromance not romance
femshep is a different story

Attached: This takes me back.jpg (1440x900, 334K)

ME1 was comfy as hell, but overall I liked ME2 more. The "let's recruit the best teammates of the whole galaxy" thematic was pretty fun. Also it cemented Garrus as the definitive best bro.

Doubling down on renegade and knocking out the reporter lady is the pinnacle of Mass Effect.

>garrus is for bromance not romance

Attached: why not both.gif (338x208, 917K)

Fucking over all of the aliens in 1 and then meeting their council in 2 is priceless.

it's not about how long each planet lasted, it's that there was a fuckton of them and the probing animation was unnecessarily long for how tedious the mini"game" was

the real problem is time constraints, the concepts werent bad but the execution (reskinned ending cutscene) was really the issue wasnt it?
imagine if 3 had 1 more year, or even 2, what difference it could have made.

To this day I enjoy playing renegade and leading Garrus down the path of vengeance and bloodlust.
Kill them, Garrus. Kill them all.

ME2 and 3 ARE good games, but there's no denying they lost some of the magic of ME1.
It hurts my soul to see the "Logging into Cerberus Network" message, and it's even worse when they drop the pretense and just call it the EA Network in 3.

>fuck yeah I'll try some bath salts

>No game/VN/SFM that explores the origin of Jack's self-indulgent, bratty, punk nature.
I wanted to see it, her getting screwed over, betrayed time and again, drugged, abused, raped, all of it. All the depravity. Is there an alternative for that, Yea Forums?

Attached: 16981-jack-mass-effect-scene-dump-7-scenes-deadboltreturns.jpg (3840x2160, 2.94M)

>is the best councilor in your path

Attached: ahyesreapers.png (3840x2160, 2.93M)

>Turian using a human gesture
???

Ah, yes, "internal consistency". We have dismissed that claim.

ME2's story felt like a DLC story. It should have been like this:
ME1: Finding out about the reapers
ME2: Preparing for the reapers
ME3: fighting the reapers

Gothic 2 does it, as well.

It's a visual gag for the purpose of comedy, don't take it so seriously.

Completely agree.

I just want a spinoff where it turns out the Turian counselor is actually a huge humanboo who spends all of his time watching human movies and shit

ME1 was the best! Y'all gonna hate on me for this.. but I did get SOME nostalgic vibes from Andromeda. Probably because it was a "new world" experience all over again.

Definitely. But it's more action oriented, less world building

Fuck you, ME2 was fun. Pointless, but fun

don't listen to this fucking autist
2 is the best in the series
finish the suicide mission and you will realize

I just installed Mass Effect 1and modded the textures a couple days ago. Got it streamed to my tv with the ME1Controller mod.
I’m max comfy