Is it possible to be a game designer without having any coding skills?

Is it possible to be a game designer without having any coding skills?

Attached: SSBU-Gaur_Plain.png (1920x1080, 3.08M)

Yeah sure look at Bioware.

You can be a paid shill like 20% of Yea Forums.

Yes, using Blueprints in Unreal 4

that's how the stanley parable happened

yeah, Yea Forums game dev threads are 99% artfags who just slap shit into the default unreal project, unity project, or rpg maker.

Is it possible to create good games without any coding skills? not by yourself unless you seriously create a revolutionary story and visuals.

it also kinda depends on what you mean by "game designer". anyone can be an idea guy. no one wants an idea guy though.

Of course, look at Kojima.
I know one guy personally who became a game designer simply because he speaks Japanese, he literally has no idea how to make a game so they just let him design levels and story.

just learn pygame and flask or pixiJS itll take like a week user

You do realize 99% of coding is figuring out what you want to do, right?

If you are a good game designer, coding is the easiest step of the process. You don't code a good game.

Nowdays half of developers barely know what a function is. You got writers, designers, artists, composers, audio technicians, 3D modelers
>t. former dev

But you need to actually know your shit, don't expect to be an idea guy that has nothing to be proud in your CV.

Attached: 1547140831829.jpg (421x427, 46K)

eh, i think you forgot what its like to be completely new to programming. a week to produce a game using pygame is probably too short.

that being said don't let that scare you OP. once you learn to program for your first game you don't have to learn how to do it again. learning to program by putting together a game is also a great way to learn programming.

code won't make a good game, but you can't make a good game without code either. you can use shit that other people implemented already, but thats how you end up with generic RPG or generic platformer #95893977

>t. former dev
interesting story here or just moved jobs?

Moved jobs out of lazyness and shattered dreams. Got to write C++ for a company that makes licensed race games. I imagined it would be cool, kind like Carmack & bros, but it ended up being in a stressful corporate office job in which most of the people didn't even liked vidya at all.
Now i'm a web dev and pretend i keep up my company website while i play TCG 6 hours everyday for the same money

Yes actually! It’s called the “ideas guy” position. You get the real money and tell the mindless slaves what to do.

That would be my go to if I didn't hate web developement.
Or are you just doing front end stuff?

You get the idea guy job only with a nice portfolio, so you better be good at art or technical sketches.

YEah, but you’ll likely always be limited due to having to make physical versions of a game or Making games from pre fabs

>most of the people didn't even liked vidya at all
That part really confuses me. Why would you get into vidya development if you don't like vidya?

Game designers dont code retard

Or be Todd Howard.

He was rejected twice though. And it were simpler times.

A bit of everything. When i got hired they were running a shitty wordpress template, so i remede the whole thing. But yeah, nowdays i mostly move buttons and tweak the db when someone in sales fucks up an order

It surprised me as well, but many people treat it like any other job that requires a CS bachelor degree. When i questioned it i got a response like
>You don't need to play lego to work in a lego factory

>You don't need to play lego to work in a lego factory
I don't follow that logic. The Lego factory just makes the blocks. Game development is putting the blocks together. It's more like they're saying "You don't have to play with Legos to make things with Legos."

you don't need to like insurance to work as a claims adjuster.

When you're a code monkey you're less involved than you might believe. Also note i worked for a company that makes boring annual car and bike sims. There was little to none actual game design, we spent most of our time solving compatibility issues

board games

It's possible if you leverage whatever other skills you may already possess.

Yeah if you want to make really shitty games nobody will play.