Why did they stop making games?

Why did they stop making games?

Attached: mono02231607-170213-02.jpg (350x350, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-AxZofbMGpM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Games require investment

>just released a game
>"aboo why aren't them making gaymz"
imagine being this retarded

They have more than enough money to make a new game

Yeah, a card game that an indie studio could have easily made, I'm talking about proper games

Why take the risk when you can just make more money doing nothing?

You probably have enough money to start a potato farm

Steam was too profitable.

>prevents water flowing backwards AND can shut off supply
>unibody design will never leak in 100 years
>easy to use quarter turn operation
Other valvefags can fuck off, the duo valve is king.

Attached: 6852 Duo Valve F x F 15mm D010716.png (240x190, 60K)

Because they're not a game development company anymore

Companies make games to make money.
Valve can print money without lifting a finger now.
No longer a reason to make games.

The usual excuse is that it's because of how they have their office/workforce organized. People are allowed to work on whatever project they want, but aren't given deadlines, and certain types of projects aren't given any more priority over others.

Steam is where the money is, along with the cash cow games like CSGO and TF2. Development on anything is likely at a snail pace, which means that they can't keep up with developments in technology, so they probably have to start over/upgrade everything they're working on every once in a while, causing further delays.

When they do release HL3 or something major, it's either going to be super polished and well made, or so behind everything else that it gets ignored by everyone except hardcore fans.

1. They literally don't have to do anything when Steam provides them with infinite free money.
2. Even if some of them WANT to do something just as a hobby, you can't make a modern videogame without 100+ people helping you. Valve has enough staff, but no bosses, so there's nobody who can force that staff to unite in one project.

Valve is a completely dysfunctional company that would not exist without free Steam money.

>releasing hl3
>after the main writer of the series left valve

Attached: 1547014708163.jpg (647x622, 18K)

I heard that everyone worth a fuck left the company. so now it's mostly just dick suckers that keep shit functioning

They have no talent left

the game has obviously been written for years user. i doubt they have much use for him anymore.

>I heard that everyone worth a fuck left the company

Could be true, and it wouldn't even make a difference because there's nothing that the company actually does other than keeping Steam updated and smelling their own farts.

Being the middleman is the easiest way to make money with the least amount of effort.

t. Jew

I was just using that as an example, and I bet there's a functional test build somewhere. Honestly, they need to do SOMETHING to stay relevant as a game developer. They did the VR stuff somewhat recently, but I haven't heard much aside from that. They need to come up with a new IP on whatever version of Source they're on now and show up at E3.

Duo valve is for fags

psssh, I bet you barely jew people, you probably suck at life, but I do agree with you

>steam keeps printing money
>so rich they dont have to do shit anymore
>work environment is nothing but high school cliques, so hardly anything gets done
I hope someday it all blows up in their face.

>Honestly, they need to do SOMETHING to stay relevant as a game developer
>Stay

They haven't been relevant as a game developer for a decade user.

They figured out a piss easy way to earn shit loads of money.
Also this.

It'll be the best clickbait drama ever, I can't wait, fuck a game

Why spend money to make money when you can just sit on your ass doing nothing and make money?

because steam makes 30% off of literally billions of $ in sales.
why make games when

>you already have the goose that lays the golden eggs
>taking any action might disturb the goose, for example people might start thinking of steam as a store for valve's games rather than a store for all games

the systematic inaction of valve is by design. gabe would rather have his employees kick around dirt that do anything that might disturb his steam revenue goldmine

People still generally know the name though, from CSGO and DOTA2, etc. If they were to release something new, it'd be like "oh hey, Valve did a thing finally", as opposed to waiting for longer and it turning into "Valve? Who the fuck is that?"

>Rich fucks spending money on anything other than optimally making more money.

this shit is the only reason I want Epic store to succeed. China can taker over everything to do with video games for all I care. As long as Valve and Gabe suffer for killing PC AAA vidya with Loot boxes and multiplayer-only service freemium games.

too busy counting the dorrah

youtube.com/watch?v=-AxZofbMGpM
When companies achieve a monopoly the creative people get pushed out in favor of more sales people because the quality of your product doesn't matter anymore, but being able to make small incremental gains in efficiency make more money. Eventually with no creative people, Valve couldn't create.

Why not pull a Kenshi and simply ignore the developments of technology, releasing the game anyway? Hell, Duke Nukem Forever was able to get by on the first Unreal engine, and Portal 2 worked well enough on Source.