Tim Sweeney said that stores are already perfect, they do not need to improve things

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-11-tim-sweeney-storefront-battle-will-be-won-with-developer-support

>"[The storefront model is] nearly perfect for consumers already...There is no hope of displacing a dominant storefront solely by adding marginally more store features or a marginally better install experience. These battles will be won on the basis of game supply, consumer prices, and developer revenue sharing."
>Since it launched, the Epic Games store has prioritized courting developers with an 88/22 revenue share model and a Support-a-Creator program that gives smaller developers more access to content creators. Sweeney also confirmed to MCV that Epic had offered additional financial incentives to developers to publish games on the store - something the company was able to do with ease given Fortnite's success.

How do you feel about Epic games confirming they wont need to do anything to work on their store and to just keep buying their way into a monopoly with fortnite money?

Attached: 1KGkBVfK?format=jpg&name=600x314.jpg (600x314, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

trueachievements.com/n36503/xbox-gameplay-chart-week-ending-february-17th-2019
youtube.com/watch?v=4RHe8ABAUKY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKRi_bXwqvw&t=161s
marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Orange-Box/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024541080f
youtube.com/watch?v=bNNcykRtQoA&t=10m38s
steamcommunity.com/app/356570/workshop/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campo_Santo_(company)#Games_developed
marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Orange-Box/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024541080f)
partner.steamgames.com/doc/features
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Fortnite fad will die in a year and Epic will have no more money so it doesn't matter

88/22 sure does make up for a nice split. 110% XD

Epic games is magic.

>These battles will be won on the basis of game supply, consumer prices, and developer revenue sharing.
so basicly
>we will make no effort actually making the store appealing to the consumer and instead will keep buying off exclusive contracts
not that i care really, until now Epics doing a good job taking the AAA trash out of Steam

They said that through all of 2017
And through 2018
Face it, fortnite is the tf2 of this decade, an undying monster with negative effects for the gaming industry.

Quality journalism.

Attached: Kitchen.jpg (913x563, 73K)

they make you pay extra for the reduced store cut by the way

Attached: file.png (604x850, 138K)

Are you a literal fucking brainlet? Did you seriously read that and that's how you interpreted it?

They already win a fuckload of money with Unreal Engine 4 even if Fortnite were to die.

Only in the third world. You're not from the third world, are you?

>why valve takes 30% everywhere I do not know.
because it's the standard in every other market for digital goods

All they can muster up right now are devs who aren't confident with their product, and are more than happy to sign away their participation in the biggest marketplace for a year for immediate compensation

Doesn't hurt me in the slightest that I can't play some indieshits for a year

>It's the standard!
Good goy.

>taking games from the third world
It's like you want them to shitpost even more and take away a distraction from their lives

Recently we had the razer game store shut down and GOG fire employees as well as remove their price match refund feature.

It's clear that 30% is barely enough for most storefronts to operate and Steam only survives due to all the money they make from their F2P games and the fact that they're the biggest.

I'll just pirate all the shit not available on steam.

I wonder how are the sales for metro exodus.

>Razer game store shutting down because 30% is barely enough
>Razer game store

I think it should be a lower cost for goods such as music which take less space than other media such as movies.

But the 30% you lose from steam gives you a lot more value than nearly every other digital marketplace and I believe steam does earn it's 30% even though it being lower would be great.

as said we don't know if when Fortnite dies the current 88/12 model would be sustainable and epic will have to be cut back towards "market" standard rates in order for the store to be able to continue operating because they didn't build up a big enough reserve because of the royalty rates.

It was a lot. Source:just thrust me.

Ask the guy that runs SteamSpy because he's an Epic employee. Since he loves transparency (and said Valve had a moral obligation to release sales figures), I'm sure he'll gladly give you Metro's numbers.

Who?

>A furrie

I don't want much else than being able to pay for a game and then download it.

Who the fuck are you, a dev? The cut literally doesn't matter to you as a consumer

>Valve uses their money and influence to completely dominate the PC market
>Yea Forums: Radio silence

>Epic does the same thing
>Yea Forums REEEEEEEEEEEE THIS IS AN OUTRAGE BUGMEN MONOPOLY REEEEEE!!

At least TRY to hide fact you're all happy to suck corporate cock as long as it's from Gaben

Attached: Okay.jpg (1280x633, 199K)

Just waiting for Gabe to buy Epic

>88/22

Attached: shsfghahg.jpg (512x617, 43K)

>MMMH YES TIM MMPF MMPF IT TASTES SO GOOOOD MMPF MMPF

I am totally fine with pirating/ignoring 100% of all games on their store.

GOG is scaling down because nobody buys anything but $2-9 old games.

Has anyone ever been more wrong than this guy?

Not an argument faggot

>MMMH OH YEAH TIMMY LET ME LICK IT OFF SLURP SLURP

>refunds on steam
>press button
>receive refund

>refunds on epic store
>SEND US ALL YOUR IP ADDRESSES
>SEND US RECEIPTS OF ALL YOUR PURCHASES
>SEND US A COPY OF YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
>SEND US ALL YOUR HARDWARE INFORMATION

>4 threads about this are currently up
Nope, totally not shilling guys.

>Valve implements a DRM store which literally no-one tries to challenge for almost a whole decade, or longer
>Epic games store comes out and now Valve are villains for literally doing what they’ve been doing for the duration of that decade
Die epic shill

>Valve releases a game on their own storefront
>Beta cucks are reeing 20 years later and willing to harm themselves to get back at Valve
???

This effectively confirms that they're only running their store to gain legal standing to sue Microsoft when they cut off third-party stores next year.
Their whole argument here is "we can't compete on features" attempting to call the dominant player (Microsoft) a monopoly, rather than actually building features which would allow them to compete like Valve is.

Sold ok on console and probably the best sales in the series, but that isn't saying much considering both previous games weren't huge sellers.

>razer game store shut down

Who the fuck? I have never heard of Razer having a fucking game store. The idea is laughable.

GOG is a special case among stores because they need to do a lot of extra work for every game they offer, since a part of the sales package is guarantee that the old piece of shit coded in 1997 by monkeys works on a new system. This extra work is something Steam, Epic or other online stores do not need to bother with.

During its launch week, it had lower player count than Titanfall 2, but still higher than the new Far Cry.

Forgot to add it's about Xbox. And it was actually one place above Titanfall. Damn my memory is getting shit lately.

trueachievements.com/n36503/xbox-gameplay-chart-week-ending-february-17th-2019

I remember him getting ass blasted when steam made changes that made it impossible for people like him to gather information.

It still had high-ish pre-orders on Steam before they pulled it and most of them didn't refund out of spite to protest it. That said, combined it was probably only a few million sales at best and I highly doubt any came from Epic's store. I bought it on PS4 myself. It's a good game and the publisher fucked it to death by doing this.

Anthony Burch
Don Mattrick
Cliff B
Phil Fish

Though give him another year at this pace and he'll come on top.

I've heard the same thing said about PUBG.

You need to understand that, since the Epic launcher provides zero benefits to consumers, they need to force the idea that any consumer unironically gives a shit about the cut that publishers get.

>y-yes fellow gamers, all against the 30% tax against those poor publishers

It's pathetic.

>just thrust me
Sure, open that ass ;)

So in proper english
>We wont try to compete fairly since its a loosing battle so we are just gonna hold games hostage instead
If I wanted to use console trash I would, no need for a virtual one on PC.

Steam?
Maybe, but all other launchers don't even have a review system.

hes right. stay mad valvecucks.

More like GOG only sells $2-9 abandonware and unremarkable indie shit. Really, what was their last remotely high profile release? Late Dragon's Dogma?

>Epic has their head up their ass and only cares about profit
Nothing new here

Attached: hurt.jpg (960x853, 96K)

>a marginally better install experience
Pre-loads and better download speeds actually matter a lot. Installing shit on Epic takes like three times longer than Steam

>all games
Except privately funded games that finish "when they are done". Fuck investors who only care about ROI. Robin Hood those cunts all day. The market rewards too much bad behavior, laughing it off by saying LOL gamers are stupid they buy cosmetics ROFL.

>"[The storefront model is] nearly perfect for consumers already...There is no hope of displacing a dominant storefront solely by adding marginally more store features or a marginally better install experience. These battles will be won on the basis of game supply, consumer prices, and developer revenue sharing."
Is correct though. People use steam because it has the games they want, you fags can pretend all you want, but nobody goes to steam for the fucking reviews and forums and shit. Like people playing games on console or whatever don't have steam accounts to use the forum or read reviews and shit. It is a fucking store, I go there buy the game, play it. Could care less about literally any other feature as long as this works. I use steam because it has games, if Epic has different games, I will use it for those games, if it has cheaper games I will use it for those games. And it will trigger Yea Forums to find out I am in the majority.

>They said that through all of 2017
What are you talking about? Fortnite only became notably popular in the final quarter of 2017, after PUBG popularity began to wane.

He's right, they are just fucking online shops, there's no science behind them. All the meme features Steam has over Epic are basicaly meaningless to the average consumer and even if Epic had more nobody would migrate.

They just want something that doesn't look like a russian scam that looks.like it will disappear at any time, accepts their credit card, has an aceptable price and let's them download at an acceptable speed any time they want.

Attached: Screenshot_20190218-111128_Firefox.jpg (1071x630, 193K)

>Cocksucker insulting with faggot.
KEK

haha he thinks it's a standard to steal money from devs

>More non responses

What's Gabe's obese cock taste like?

If its this hard to get your money back why give it to them in the first place?

>all valvecucks can do is scream about chinks and post MMM TIM SWEENY COCK
really makes you think whos on the winning side doesnt it

>people subscribing loyalty to a drm service
what a time to be alive

when the product you are offering is literally just a chromium based client that lets people open a .exe, 30% is a bit steep.
I am pretty sure the Razer gamestore shutdown because I am just hearing of it now. GoG has a lot of games that ARE much cheaper, so even if they are taking 30% of a $5 game that is pennies. They rarely move $60 games. Then there is the fact that their "fair pricing" system was ridiculous, considering those EU prices contained like 20% VATS.

it's not even a fad at this point. everyone and their mother knows about it and they have the infrastructure in place to make sure this game lasts years. it's not going anywhere anytime soon. look at the the recent competitors that have shown up only to be beaten. remember when people thought blackout was going to kill fortnite? remember when people thought Apex was going to kill fortnite? fortnite has already eclipsed all the competition. it's here to stay. it's not perfect but frankly it's getting better with time.

>the devs
Got already paid. If anyone gets a lower cut, it's the publisher.
>steal
It's their decision to put up their games on a platform. Nobody forces them to. And that platform has its own infrastructure, so the store owners taking a cut is justified. 30% has been the industry standard for over a decade, and suddenly it's STEALING. But only when talking about Valve. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. - they take the same cut, but nobody calls them literally Hitler because of it. Weird, huh?

I'm so confused. Why would they be trying to compete with Microsoft. And why do they want to sue them? I'm so lost.

>Convenient to use

Doubt it

It's a no-brainer, Valve is winning. None of the most anticipated games this year are available on Epic Games Store.

If Valve doesn't steal their money then I'm going to steal their game.

I still can't see anything there that's pro me and my money

yeah i don't really see what niche that's filling. at least GOG fills the niche of "our games have no DRM". what is epic doing?

steam only has about 3000 games out of 30,000 working on linux. how are they going to get the rest of the to work by next year?

Is Tim Sweeney retarded?

Haha I forgot Sweeney had that tinfoil hat idea. Wouldn't be surprised. But what happens when microsoft doesn't do it. Cause you know, they obviously wont?
There is a conspiracy theory that Windows 10 willl prevent you from using steam and force you to use the Windows Store. This conspiracy sort of died, not when Microsoft first said it was unfounded, but when it was supposed to happen like 3 years ago and didn't. Sweeney was one of the proponents of that theory and had an aneurysm when some special edition of Windows 10, for like school computers and such, didn't allow you to install applications from outside the windows store, IE steam. That windows edition has long since been discontinued though, so I think even Sweeney has to realize what a dumb theory it is now. But the user was asserting he made the store, so that if it happens he can say Microsoft fucked over his business.

Tim, you can selectively ignore all you want, but nothing will change the fact consumers don't want your service you offer no benefit over Steam to them.

Attached: e85d71c0a4.png (578x363, 46K)

>everyone cries monopoly monopoly
>epic paid ubi more money to pull division 2 from third party retailers reducing your choice to down to only two stores
how do you defend this?

Nah, he i just not even pretending to cater to consumers, because he knows it won't work. So he is going after Devs. The Epic Store could be 10x as feature rich and functional as Steam and nobody would care. But you move games from steam to Epic, and people come.

Acting as a backdoor for chinks.

I have noticed that the Valvecucks, have slowly figured out who Sweeney is, so they have slowed down the MUHHH CHINA shitposts.

Why should I come over if they don't treat the customer with respect? And where are the games?

Why should I, as a consumer, care about giving developers a better deal?

The funny thing is that Valve has already arranged things so that if window ever dies, people can just install Linux and play games using proton instead without every touching any of Microsoft's products.

Wheras Epic games isnt doing anything despite sweeney panicking about it.

>when the product you are offering is literally just a chromium based client that lets people open a .exe, 30% is a bit steep.
That's a pretty thin description of what Valve does, considering that Steam now allows you to do that with minimal hassle even on modern GNU/Linux based operating systems instead of just legacy Windows.
Without most people noticing Valve has built a pretty amazing open gaming stack, and now employs the primary developers of or has contracted work on a ton of major gaming infrastructure projects.
Even mainstream Windows-centric news venues like Linus Tech Tips are starting to notice that Windows is barreling towards a walled garden experience and looking at the alternative Valve has built.

Epic's cut isn't viable long term, they're basically just in the market long enough so Microsoft can carry out their post Jan 14 2020 plans and Epic can have grounds to sue them as a competitor.
If Epic were serious about running a game store to make PC gaming better they'd be adding features and doing their best to support platforms outside of Microsoft's control.

The Division is not a paid exclusive.
Uplay cited exposure for Uplay as their reason for pulling out of Steam, and the extra margins with Epic for why they went there.
Also
Steam + Uplay = 2 stores.
Epic + Uplay = 2 stores. Same number. Of course what the fuck is the point of being on "all the stores" if it just means you have to agree to all their noncompetitive pricing schemes.

88/22

Game journalists are fucking retards

Haven't you heard the smear campaigns? Gamers are literal nazis, developers and journalists are the good guys. Don't you want to be on the right side of history? The money really does go to developers by the way, publishers simply don't exist.

reminder that even discord has a built-in networking/matchmaking system
epic has nothing, and they don't want anything evidently

You can't buy The Division 2 from third party key sites like Humble and GMG because they only gave Uplay keys and Epic were getting mad.

>lightweight
it takes up more memory than every relevant storefront though

>Steam + Uplay = 2 stores.
>Epic + Uplay = 2 stores. Same number.
no user, you can buy uplay keys from a dozen sites. the point is now you can ONLY buy the game from two stores, there's zero price competition since nobody else can sell the game.

Money hatting and building a monopoly whilst Anti-Valve shitposters and shills chant "COMPETITION!"

Meanwhile, shit like pic related happens and they just ignore it.

Attached: Screenshot_20190311-170932_Firefox.jpg (1080x1920, 695K)

So why the fuck would I use epic if it offers no incentives over steam?

The fuck was the point of that stunt anyway? Either the botnet money pales compared to mom's credit card or they're not willing to spend any to money hat games.

I agree, Valve has done a lot for Linux gaming. But spending a shit tonne of money on something completely and utterly meaningless is not a compelling reason for large margins.
>Epic's cut isn't viable long term
Except it is. The overhead for running a digital storefront is insanely low. What they gotta pay their lease, retail employee wages, warehouse costs!?
> Microsoft can carry out their post Jan 14 2020 plans and Epic can have grounds to sue them as a competitor.
I member when this was 1 2017 plan! then a 2018 plan! also remember your new free windows upgrade becomes invalid after a year! And windows S will replace normal Windows! and The world will end with the Mayan Calendar if it didn't already with Y2K!

i don't remember valve paying for exclusivity rights unless you can prove otherwise, and by all means please do i don't like steam either

Again how in the fuck do you sue for competition. Does epic go and say " hurr durr we were here first they copied dont let the bad man in this space and give us monopoly" monopoly of what though? Launchers? They already exist so what are you gonna sue for exactly.

Same reason you use steam. Because it has the game you want to play. Their goal is to get devs publishers to ditch steam, not the literally garunteed fail strategy of getting people to buy game son Epic despite no exclusives. Even if they can get enough, eventually the retards who are loyal to steam will become loyal to Epic cause "all their games are on Epic already!"

>Cause you know, they obviously wont?
Everybody keeps saying that but what actually keeps them from doing it? They're not a charity, they don't build good operating systems that run anything you want for free. They're in business to make money, and honestly, how much has anyone here paid Microsoft for Windows 7?
If they lose a ton of pirates who never paid them a dime what does that even matter to them? They're already not the #1 OS on the planet anymore, that ship has sailed. Big business actually wants the walled garden because they get a key to be able to do what they want and the malware that costs them millions a year doesn't.
Microsoft's legacy compatibility solutions for running old programs will be good enough for that guy still doing his payroll with an ancient program that he wrote for Windows 95, but its not going to work well for modern games.
They actually have a disincentive to keep it good for games in the long run because they want all the developers and users buying and playing Xbox games.

Epic's plan is if Microsoft shuts down third-party stores, they'll have standing to sue. Valve's solution was to build a better platform and bring the back catalog along.

>buying their way into a monopoly
You mean taking away Steam's monopoly.

>when the product you are offering is literally just a chromium based client that lets people open a .exe, 30% is a bit steep.
And customer support
And payment services
And community communication tools
And distribution for said exe
And distribution for patches
And much more

But yeah, it's just a browser that holds your EXE hostage and nothing more.

at this point, big AAA store exclusive games already exist so frankly I see no reason to let the epic store be and see what comes of it. worst case scenario we have to use another store in addition to all the other stores to get that one game. I don't see the problem

>same number of stores
Except one might as well not even exist. Ubisoft used this tactic to maximize profits. In one year it'll have a steam release

steam has like 10k devs. I would literally buy $10 budget games than anything from epic kike store.

user, maybe it is pointless to try and have a discussion about that with someone peddling conspiracy theories?

he didn't even answer the damn question

I thought that information had to do with recovering an account? Not that I would put it past Epic to require this unreasonable amount of info for a refund.

>steam is already perfect for customers
>but our inferior product will win if we pay publishers enough

Attached: 1551723821414.jpg (1294x478, 69K)

Would that even have legal grounds. He would have to proof Microsoft specifically targeted him with malicious intent. Otherwise it will open the flood gates precendnet wise for everyone under the sun to sue Microsoft if the new windows in any way hampers their earnings. Also ty for the explanation

I will alway support existence of any other store on PC other than Steam. They get shitload of money from PCfags and they do nothing with this money. How about finishing Half Life series? Or another Portal? Or funding amazing studios in the same way Sony, MS or Nintendo does?

Fuck Valve.

#metoo

SURELY SAVING MONEY WILL HELP DEVELOPERS MAKE BETTER PRODUCTS.

Just look at all the recent AAA titles and how great they are with all that money!

Oh, wait....

You are 100% correct. They will do it because of how fucking profitable windows S was. It was so profitable they got rid of windows 10. I mean don't businesses pirate windows anyway!? I mean what do they need that is not on the windows store!? I am sure all their CAD software, and unique tailored business solutions are all running fine from within the windows store. Windows is gonna get rid of steam because I am the top business man ever, which Is why I have been saying they will do it this year since W10 launched, and have been repeatedly wrong and they even discontinued the walled garden version of windows. But I assure you that they only did that because it was so succesful and great. Just because Microsoft routinely says they won't do it, and yet only backs up this talk by actually not doing it, doesn't mean they won't. Also they won't let third parties have their drivers signed, nor sign third party drivers. So you have to get Microsoft hardware now!

Reminder that Tim Sweeney is a massive fucking hypocrite.

Attached: fuck off tim.png (626x1161, 430K)

And Game informer skips right over it and doesn't push it.

Attached: 6caa2b43f8.png (790x234, 42K)

It would be nice when epic kike store will ban these cucks account for being toxic or some shit and they will come running.

> They already exist so what are you gonna sue for exactly.
In 2020 Microsoft is rolling out a new updated version of Windows 10 to OEMs which will lack the legacy win32 compatibility layer that has so far been included in nearly every version of the OS. This effectively locks every new Windows install to the Windows Store by default, and Microsoft will display scary messages to users attempting to get around the lock out, if Microsoft even still make the backwards-compatibility module available.
When that happens Epic's game store, and all the games will stop working. Epic's plan is to argue that this is blatantly anti-competitive.

Microsoft will counter that they informed developers well in advance that this was coming (as early as 2012), and that they can't be forced to maintain support for legacy software forever any more than they could say be sued for dropping the Trident web engine by the operators of ancient websites that depend on its non-standard behavior.

Epic actually has a really weak case. Its almost certain they don't intend to win. They're just going to attempt to get a preferential rate for sales of their Xbox games on the Windows Storefront. Its possible the terms of the exclusivity agreements they're extracting from developers will make it difficult for those developers to get on to the new Xbox store without Epic's approval which would give them even more leverage in extracting a favorable settlement.

>customer should use our store because devs get more money
OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: 1492637322833.png (650x650, 27K)

>THINK OF THE POOR DEVELOPERS
Yeah sure. Poor devs. Doesn't mean I want to give their publishers a bigger cut. I'll stick with steam.

Just because Steam is the best platform doesn't mean it's a monopoly. All other major companies have since made their own launchers and most of them just aren't that great to navigate. And they aren't already well established. There's no incentive to use them besides when you play the one game they are useful for. That doesn't make steam a monopoly.

Valve didn't pay any dev to pull their game from other platforms just so they could have something to advertise their platform for. Valve never said, "because you put your game on our store you can't put it on another store for X amount of time!"

>they hated user because he spoke the truth

Probably yeah.
I don't think Sweeney thinks you will uninstall Steam tonight and never use it again. I also think he is presently aware you can install both. He is also aware he can get devs and publishers onside to his store, which will bring people there. I am sure you hate Metro, The Division, That gel game, everything they gave away for free etc. But it would be stupid to assume everyone else conveniently hates everything not on steam as well. That is the business model. People will come for the games. It doesn't have to have everything steam has, because you don't have to abandon steam to use Epic.
Wow damn, that is really insane, more than physical retailers! I bet nobody else could do that or provide their own service. I mean what, is some small company like Discord gonna be able to do that? what about Activbliz, bethesda, Rockstar, Razer, CDProjekt, Epic, EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Itch.io. Really unique service Steam has created. I mean Payment Services? I didn't know they employed Elon Musk! and his revolutionary new paypal!

>They will do it because of how fucking profitable windows S was. It was so profitable they got rid of windows 10.
Windows 10 S was an experimental product, and it was considered a success.
In a sense they did exactly what you describe, all copies of Windows 10 now include S Mode.
What's changing next year is that toggle is going on by default, and the module that enables the legacy functionality may no longer be installed by default.

I don't use Steam though, I pirate. Steam is the one that started this by consolizing PC but Valve always gets a pass. Fuck paying for a download.
HL2 was the first case of online client DRM for a single player game even if you bought it physically, not a real physical copy just saying. Valve used even worse methods when they were pushing Steam, why does Valve get a pass? Digital distribution has a monopoly on PC because of Valve.

>Valve
>customers are king
>we will provide as many features as possible to make it a better experience for the customer to find and buy games

>Epic games
>the developers are king
>we will give as much profit as possible for the developers and use our resources to help them out by buying exclusivity and deals

Is it such a surprise that gaming journalists and developers all shill for epic game stores?

So let me get this right... Epic offers less content, less features, less control over your games, more expensive but all of this somehow makes it better than Steam? I mean, why exactly are they even shilling for Epic when even fucking GOG is much better?
Can someone come up with a logical explanation to this retardation that is going on with game journos? The bias is so blatantly obvious is starting to making me angry.

Attached: 55177947265.png (467x458, 431K)

>Valve doesn't do shit just because they aren't making games

Attached: hqdefault(3).jpg (480x360, 12K)

Correct answer is that they will give less money to the dead weight that is Valve Software. GabeN is sitting on billions and they only release frigid turds.

>a logical explanation to this retardation that is going on with game journos?
they're paid mouthpieces

>Developers
There's that word again
Publishers user. The only ones seeing any of this extra cut are the publishers.

Source: My Ass.
Actually, Bill told me next Year windows is gonna become exclusive to ARM devices and no games will be playable because gaming is for degenerates, the DX12 APK will delete itself entirely, because remember kids, There is no money in it, only in windows store!

>I don't use Steam though, I pirate. Steam is the one that started this by consolizing PC but Valve always gets a pass. Fuck paying for a download.
Neither company cares about piratefags though. I am just being impartial, I pirate myself sometimes. They just know you will pirate no matter what unless they can one day get the magical DRM solution that actually works.

>makes it better then Steam
It doesn't, journalists flip flop when potential hits are at stake. Nobody would gaf if a site sided with Valve, but everyone would get pissed and mad at supporters of Epic because they always pick the opposing side against players. Like since everyone prefers Steam over Epic, what better way to get hits then make retarded arguments to piss off a bunch readers?

Attached: 1dzczup0slj21.png (445x427, 64K)

>Kids unaware there's a world outside of Windows
Valve has been preserving thousands of games for the future, ensuring they can still be played decades from now regardless of what happens in the industry. Sorry you didn't get that one game you say you want. You've already ignored what Valve said it would take to make it happen sooner rather than later. When it does come will you be prepared to do what's required to play it?

This is the one thing I am in agreement on Epic on. I am sick of paying top dollar for shit when brown people get it for a fraction of the price. I'm essentially being cucked out of my money to subsidize the poor monkey who shit up the game.

they don't have to add more features than steam, they merely have to actually try reaching parity

I didn't know alex jones was a gamer

>buy
You can't actually buy games on PC anymore because of Valve. Paying for a download is not buying a game. Valve used brainwashing esque tactics when pushing Steam. Perfect example is the fact you idiots think automatic updates are a good thing when the ability to update only encourages games to be released unfinished or unplayable without a patch. The fact that it needs updated means the game was released unfinished or unplayable. Gabe said it was a bad thing that developers used to have to release games complete and playable without a patch because they had no way of updating it.
Charging for a download is anti consumer.
Proton just gives developers yet another reason not to develop games natively for Linux. Steam is the anti thesis of Linus.

That pic really shows that people are only allowed to enjoy what they are part of.

Oh great.

Another paki has tried to log into my account.

What a shocker!

Woah all my friends are getting the same thing! SECURE SERVICE!

Attached: paki.png (1394x41, 5K)

How is it surprising? The entire gaming media should have been attacking Valve non stop the moment they launched Steam but they didn't

You're in every one of these threads. Go away.

Typical.

Attached: 1531764557578.jpg (500x450, 33K)

>purge the non-whites!
user, jesus. calm down. there's no need for that kind of language

We already know Microsoft are doing this:
>Xbox games on Windows 10
In what world does it make sense for them to say:
>Developers should keep making an Xbox version, and a Windows version.

If Microsoft would never ever think about dropping legacy support, why'd they already do that with DOS games? Why have they clearly already thought about it with Windows 10's UWP format, Windows 10 S, and the subsequent inclusion of S Mode into every new copy of Windows 10?
If not Microsoft's intent to go walled garden in the future, what was it that triggered Valve's falling out with Microsoft back in 2012 and their shift towards building gaming infrastructure on Linux for the last 7 years while sounding the alarm about 2020?

He is right though. Not NAs fault the rest of the world has retarded overhead. Western Eu fags are the most annoying cause they think having sales taxed baked in means the game is more expensive.
It is cheaper in NA, the part of the world that matters. But I digress.
>Can someone come up with a logical explanation to this retardation that is going on with game journos?
This is pretty much non news, Epic Store is not that big of a threat to steam at the moment, Installing Epic Store to play an exclusive takes less time than reading an article on it, and there is no reason for most people to care. So they made it into like a consolewar thing. Look how much fucking attention that gets here. So now it is Epic VS Steam, which drives clicks, and since Valve has the established platform with more fanboys, backing the Epic store gives the journos more hate clicks, and creates a subconscious thought that the Epic store is bigger than it is in the mind of the reader. If they backed steam it would be much tougher to sensationalize this.
Said world is great, it is however, not a world for gaming. Sorry linuxfag, just get a fucking VM. With GPU passthrough it shouldn't even be a problem.

because the gaming media back then wasn't composed of fucking mentally ill retards/retards trying to gain brownie points with said mentally ill retards. Grow a brain moron

Checks out, the 10% is payment processing fees

>equating charging to buy a game to a download
>forgets companies have done this decades prior

Attached: 1495341703440.gif (285x285, 1.67M)

>it is however, not a world for gaming
But my graphics card doesn't have drivers that perform nearly as well as they do on Linux. Why would I want to run Windows through a VM introducing even more overhead on top of the non-functional drivers you're stuck with there?

>Xbox games on Windows 10
Fuck you are right.
>GFWL
Steam will be killed on windows 8!
>If Microsoft would never ever think about dropping legacy support, why'd they already do that with DOS games?
Oh they will do this. I fully believe DX9 will be dropped in like 20 years. But the answer is also because the overhead needed to emulate this type of thing once it becomes legacy is miniscule now.
>the subsequent inclusion of S Mode into every new copy of Windows 10
For schools and businesses that don't want access to third party shit. Again, you have no idea how the business world works if you think they can keep any client with just Windows store offerings.
>If not Microsoft's intent to go walled garden in the future, what was it that triggered Valve's falling out with Microsoft back in 2012 and their shift towards building gaming infrastructure on Linux for the last 7 years while sounding the alarm about 2020?
Never good to put all your eggs in one basket.
AMD didn't make Mantle cause they thought Microsoft would stop making APIs.

>Steam does a flat 30% paycut on the dev's part worldwide to achieve parity
>GoG (used to, only very recently took away) would give the exact same price based on USD worldwide, taking the price difference on their very own part, to achieve parity
Why did people on here say that Steam and GoG were being greedy jews but Epic was somehow not?

>But my graphics card doesn't have drivers that perform nearly as well as they do on Linux. Why would I want to run Windows through a VM introducing even more overhead on top of the non-functional drivers you're stuck with there?
>Why would I want to run Windows through a VM introducing even more overhead on top of the non-functional drivers you're stuck with there?
Because you don't know what VT-D is, and DX does not run on linux? you can use DXtoVulkan as well. But it isn't perfect. The best answer is why not? Operating systems are not religions, you can install as many as you want on the same hardware.

>and gamers

we don't pay a dime extra for it

jew harder tim

>Proton just gives developers yet another reason not to develop games natively for Linux. Steam is the anti thesis of Linus.
In the short term maybe. In the next three to five years it gives GNU/Linux an important advantage over Windows in terms of continued support for legacy games.
Long term if GNU/Linux can get enough users developers will start targeting Linux-native features and making more native builds.

If not then we're headed towards a dark age for PC gaming as the consoles gain what seems to be a victory that could leave PC gaming virtually dead for a decade or more.

Because that system actually just spreads their taxes and overhead to the rest of the world, either to publishers or consumers. I don't want to pay that shit. I get in reality who pays all that is based on elasticity, and in the long run we will see which model the market supports. But just personally I always found the former bullshit.

oh... oh... OH NO NO NO NO

>DX does not run on linux?
It does with my graphics card, at least for D3D9, and its faster than the half-functional driver Windows users have to deal with.

>you can use DXtoVulkan as well. But it isn't perfect.
DXVK which you garbled the name of is about as good at being an implementation of D3D10/11 on Vulkan as you can get these days. Its already occasionally faster than the 'native' Windows drivers due to how similar Vulkan is to the driver level middleware high-level API support was traditionally written on, and how slow the official drivers are for some hardware.

> Operating systems are not religions you can install as many as you want on the same hardware.
You must not be a Christian, things like 640x480 16 color support were handed down by GOD along with his divine TempleOS.

Sure I could install Windows along side my Linux install, but why? Why would I want to run an OS that doesn't offer proper support for my hardware, and that I have to harden my network against to prevent it leaking data that could lead to identify theft?

Feels good, if you use steam for anything other than buying and playing games you're a fucking faggot.

And common and easily integrated API's and game components like VAC.
And a global server and storage structure.
And basically free promotion.

>norway, denmark and finland
>developing nations

Because GoG has no market share compared to Valve and Tim can't talk shit about console makers since Fortnite needs them to survive.

> does with my graphics card, at least for D3D9, and its faster than the half-functional driver Windows users have to deal with.
A) No it doesn't. DirectX does not natively run, you are using a translation layer.
B) what GPU are you using that you are retarded enough to think this is true?
>Sure I could install Windows along side my Linux install, but why?
Because Windows is better for gaming. Because you have to bend over backwards to get games running just to pretend it is better, out of some sort of stocholm syndrome/brand loyalty to a fucking penguin.

>Epic is sponsoring Metro content on jewtube now because they know it's literally the only game people are remotely interested in
youtube.com/watch?v=4RHe8ABAUKY

But think about the poor publishers

>And a global server and storage structure.
this is cheap and AWS exists now.
>And basically free promotion.
It used to justify itself with this alone, but Steam has become a huge fucking mess, and now I unironically think Epic Store is a better thing for this now.

>They said that through all of 2017
retard

on a side note serious question. Is it worth making an account on reset era? Or should I just lurk? after seeing that screenshot of them bitching about dmc5 rolling I want to read more dumb posts like that.

>Sweeney also confirmed to MCV that Epic had offered additional financial incentives to developers to publish games on the store - something the company was able to do with ease given Fortnite's success

Clearly trying to buy out the market share before Fornite transitions into a declining market share as whatever the next Zoomer games grabs them and takes all there money.

I mean if you want to shitpost go for it. But you will get ban more quickly than someone trying to talk about viyda on Yea Forums.

This guy is right. I've tried, god knows I've tried to get my games library to work with Ubuntu and it's just too much work. I've tried with wine, I've tried with Proton, both with limited sucess. The amount of fucking around needed to get even nu-doom to work was smoothly was painful. Unless it just werks I'm not interested any more.

>30% store tax forever.
>Paying developers with money to sell on an underdeveloped store

China taught him well.

>game supply, consumer prices, and developer revenue sharing
Okay so we know he plans to secure game supply by literally paying Devs for exclusivity and we also know he lures them in with better revenue sharing.
That's already quite a bit of money he's willing to give away and he literally said that the revneue income is not feasable.
So when, where and how is the "better consumer prices" going to fit into that calculation?

Attached: 0664cdf67f3d6ff32f964290943027bb34926fc049a3c4d6efb6d5359c570385.jpg (544x462, 61K)

Shit games fail and good games come out on top. Do you cry about amazon selling 50 shades of gay?

They can't afford it now fortnite is dying

Agreed 100%. Another reason Steam is useless. Good games come out on top no matter what store.

Why anyone would use the Epic store is beyond me. What do I care what share of the profits dev get when I'm paying the exact same price for a game as any where else? Their security is a fucking joke too.

>HL2
You mean their game?
>Valve used even worse methods when they were pushing Steam
I'm glad you could tell us all about them in your post

GOG>Piracy>begging on Yea Forums>>>>>begging on Yea Forums>>>Humble bundle(when they get something good)>>>>>>>>>Steam>>>>>>>those dodgy key sites>>>>>>>buying from walmart or retail stores>>>>>>>giving money to random people hoping to get a game>>>>>>>>sleezy man on the corner with a business suit flipping a coin>>>>>>>Epic.

Attached: 1550502449223.jpg (1080x1267, 100K)

>that the revneue income is not feasable.
Outside of NA, that is why he has a contingency in place.
>So when, where and how is the "better consumer prices" going to fit into that calculation?
Presently all the "bribed" games are discounted in NA. The other expected prices are assumed to be out of the lower cut they take. How, it happens, how much, or if is compelling enough to justify itself in the face of single pricing deals, is yet to be seen.

>A) No it doesn't. DirectX does not natively run, you are using a translation layer.
Nope, read up on Gallium. Nine provides D3D9 support that is at the same level as OpenGL and Vulkan.

>B) what GPU are you using that you are retarded enough to think this is true?
Any modern AMD GPU. The best drivers for them are Linux exclusive, produced by community developers most of whom are now employed at AMD, Valve, and Redhat. Even AMD will tell you straight up that you shouldn't use the drivers they supply unless you need support for a limited number of professional (CAD) programs that they officially support.

>Because Windows is better for gaming.
That's in severe doubt after 2020 when 7 becomes unavailable.
>you have to bend over backwards to get games running
Checking a box in Steam and then clicking 'play' is pretty easy, and outside of Steam there's tools like Lutris.

>out of some sort of stocholm syndrome/brand loyalty to a fucking penguin
Be careful what you say about the penguin. They can be pretty scary.

Attached: N5xsYxH.jpg (3840x1080, 1.28M)

Well, they can't get too comfy. There are like plenty of other Battle Royale games just like theirs...

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKRi_bXwqvw&t=161s

Yeah seriously. Why the fuck should i care if the Dev gets a better split.
When i go to a store, any store, it's because of good prices and good service.

Holy shit, what a faggot

Attached: 1461004740583.gif (315x174, 3.15M)

Do epic plan to do sales? I sure as fuck ain't planing to use their shitty launcher, but it's not like I buy full priced games on steam either. And I'm sure most people don't either.

Attached: Epic m.png (1268x1257, 268K)

Epic just wants to capitalize on the market share before all the zoomers find the next big thing. Though i have this strange feeling that Consoles players arent going to use the epic store and people playing Fortnite on PC is prob far less than epic wants people to believe.

I cant find any numbers that tell me this is how many people are playing ON PC THROUGH OUR STORE. So it pretty much literally is well pay you to be on our to pull in core demographic players.

>Even AMD will tell you straight up that you shouldn't use the drivers they supply
On linux. Their Windows drivers are better. This is not apples to apples.
Give me your GPU model so I can look at performance in Windows v.s. DXVulkan.
>That's in severe doubt after 2020 when 7 becomes unavailable.
Windows 7 already doesn't support DX12 retard. Why do you guys cripple yourselves so much for your dumb ideology?
>Checking a box in Steam and then clicking 'play' is pretty easy, and outside of Steam there's tools like Lutris.
True*
*true means for the rare instance it actually works properly without any glitch, failure to launch, translation errors, DRM conflicts, Artifacting, additional Glitches, or performance hitches.

PC fortnite was 10% of total sales in 2018

>no "buy it directly from their own website" option
Faggot

Hope he chokes on his own dick.

So it's less than 10% of the playerbase.

With then blocking all 3rd party key sites due to their low margin restrictions they won't

>Yeah seriously. Why the fuck should i care if the Dev gets a better split.
They don't expect you to care. They expect publishers/Devs to care. And they expect you to buy the games you want to play from whatever store sells them. Like it or not, it is 100x more effective than just trying to make a better store.

Thanks user!
Makes the argument against the epic store even more amusing. Maybe there big plan is to start a store to compete with Apple and Google.

>>>>>>>>
Please stop this, it just makes your post needlessly obnoxious

Timed exclusivity just pushes people away instead of attracting them

Attached: hlh6jmpertfi3fdkzdp2.jpg (636x780, 111K)

wtf the chinese shills told me steam was a monoply

>track the IP
>India

Britain, Brit
Japan, Jap
Australia, Aussie
Pakistan, Paki
India, Paki

Attached: geraltshh.jpg (368x469, 56K)

I could imagine them doing sales simply to incentivice people to download the launcher but from all of Sweeney statements so far the plan is obviously to give people the simple choice of buying from them or buying it nowhere at all.

>These battles will be won on the basis of game supply, consumer prices, and developer revenue sharing."
*and who can pay off devs more for exclusivity. Forgot that one, did you? No one opposes giving devs a larger share of the money, even if they then decide to only have it available on Epic. Paying off publishers to take their game off Steam after advertising it and letting people preorder it, and only leaving it up on your store with no possibility to sell keys on third party sites etc., that's the part that makes your store cancer.

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

>mfw people are wanting Valve to compete by pulling the same dirty tactics under the guise of competition

Attached: images.jpg (291x173, 6K)

>Their Windows drivers are better.
Their Vulkan driver can't keep up with RadV in most cases.
Their D3D11 driver arleady can't keep up with DXVK+RadV in some cases, and at worst its a 5% loss on equal hardware.
Do I even need to bring up how bad their OpenGL driver is?

>Windows 7 already doesn't support DX12 retard
Why would anyone intentionally install malware to get a half-ass Vulkan knock off?

>for the rare instance it actually works properly without any glitch, failure to launch, translation errors, DRM conflicts, Artifacting, additional Glitches, or performance hitches.
All the same things can be said of Windows 10, but they're the ones who opened up that can of worms by allowing 3rd party kernel-level malware in the first place.

valve are too busy making an autochess mobile client and preparing to milk dota for the yearly easy 100 mill.

Maybe they wont do it like how EA said it was exploitative of developers to have sales.

Of course they then ran there own sales .... but you know.

This is an unfair comparison. An Xbox one at the time was a $300+ purchase. The Epic Games store is like a 30mb free install. Store exclusivity, and platform exclusivity is completely different no matter how you try and slice it. Fortnite being Epic Store exlusive did not really hamper its success. Nor did Hearthstone or WoW not being on steam, or Apex Legends, or Battlefield games. Metro Exodus is on Xbox One, PS4, and Windows, same as was always promised. Also angry comments =/= sales. Do I think the exclusivity hurt Tomb Raider a bit? sure. Do I think the retards in that comment section had their purchasing decisions changed. No. I'm not really arguing one way or the other btw. I will drop either store in a second for something better. And I am the norm. Most gamers aren't loyal to a store. They don't care. They use Steam cause it is convenient and has most the games they want. It just doesn't seem like it because nobody makes threads and shitposts about how much they don't care.

>Do I even need to bring up how bad their OpenGL driver is?
Ah yes, noted API used in 100% of games, OpenGL. When I want to play the games released in 2019, I think, but how good is the official driver of the lagging behind AMD graphics card at OpenGL!?
>Windows is malware
Look user, tech illiteracy does not help your argument.
>All the same things can be said of Windows 1
DX actually works quite well on Windows. With the whole, native support thing. And most DRM is made with Windows in mind, and running games natively is obiously going to have less bugs and errors, and not tampering is going to piss off the DRM less.
>worms by allowing 3rd party kernel-level malware in the first place.
Again, tech illeteracy is not a good reason to use linux.
Much like thinking vaccines give you autism, is not a compelling argument for why I should take your medical advice over that of my doctor.

Eventually probably, when they have more than like 25 games. But right now the incentive is free games. Which has been pretty decent. You missed Jackbox, Subnautica, and Axium Verge.

Valve didnt make that. Players did, it is a custom game mode.

>can sign up an account without verifying your email
>"no point adding more features or install experience"

Attached: 135954313616.gif (264x264, 1.37M)

They're working with the chinks that made that mode. Or someone is really good at copying valves art style.

The point still stands. Timed exclusivity doesn't benefit the consumer by limiting where you can buy a game. It's one thing to be the creator and release it on your own store if you have one. But just tossing money at the last minute to restrict it is bullshit. I don't care how easy it is to install EGS, it's a scumbag tactic and because of their shit you have no way to buy the game from any 3rd party site which gives you options.

Attached: 4sa1Ln6_d.jpg (640x122, 8K)

Attached: 1552101987538.jpg (568x590, 109K)

>lightweight
Wrong. It is jampacked with spyware and bitcoin miners that eat up memory like no other store or launcher.
>convenient to use
Wrong. It has none of the usability and utility of any of the other store fronts with things like user reviews and refunds. It also has absolutely zero account or transaction security so using it as a 100% chance of your identity and account being stolen.
>gives developers a better deal
Wrong. A larger cut of their profits on game sales would only be a better deal if they had any chance of making any sales on this store, which they don't. They would be making money on Steam, even with a bigger cut being taken.

And entire statement of lies that also manages to dodge the actual question. Impressive.

Please god never post again

>steam is monopoly guys! BUY DIVISION 2 FROM EPIC!!!
>wait, you're going to buy a uplay key from somewhere else???!!
>*pays ubi to remove it from third party stores*
>heh nothing personnel

>timed exclusivity doesn't benefit the consumer by limiting where you can buy a game.
At home, in boxers? Fucking Epic is gonna stop me doing this!? God damnit I will boycott the fuckers if they make me go to the mall. I agree, it doesn't benefit the consumer. Doesn't really hurt them either, but the $10 price drop does help. Yeah yeah, maybe steam codes could have cancelled it out, but that just makes it a wash.
>It's one thing to be the creator and release it on your own store if you have one. But just tossing money at the last minute to restrict it is bullshit
See but in your weird vidya ideology, this is a totally valid point. But speaking strictly pragmatically it is no different. To the Consumer, if Epic Published Metro Exodus, the change would be literally 0 different. People were mad when EA left steam, and shit on Origin all the time. Then when they got bored of it it became "okay it is fine Because EA games on Origin are first party." The consumer doesn't care. They just want to play videogames. ideology/store loyalty is not a driving factor for most people.
> I don't care how easy it is to install EGS, it's a scumbag tactic and because of their shit you have no way to buy the game from any 3rd party site which gives you options.
Why are people so melodramatic about this shit?
>I don't care that it makes no difference to me as a consumer! it is scummy cause....
Just stop. Buy what you want, don't buy what you don't want. Just don't let such sill squables influence your gaming habits. You will enjoy the hobby 100x more if you don't.

>Wrong. It is jampacked with spyware and bitcoin miners that eat up memory like no other store or launcher.
HAHA. Based Gabe. Sweeney also comes and fucks your wife every time you use the store.

Why are the only games they have on their store exclusive games? Why haven't they managed to get more games to sell on it?

Attached: 1516508716380.jpg (1024x1022, 111K)

I installed EGS to play the satisfactory alpha. The game was fun for a bit but I have no plans to purchase the game due to it being Early access and being on EGS. I'd rather wait a year for a more complete game that's on a service that's actually finished. The free games they give out are ones most people own and don't incentivise most since you'd be resetting your library from what you own on Steam.

Attached: d0cd15af3c.png (499x292, 31K)

Curation.

But there have been games that are trusted by platforms explicitly and they aren't on the epic store

They're already peddling early access games, so so much for curation.

Cause what is the point?

A bigger and more impressive library?

>With the whole, native support thing
Windows 10 doesn't natively support win32 software. Whole reason they can offer versions of it that don't include that support.

>Much like thinking vaccines give you autism, is not a compelling argument for why I should take your medical advice over that of my doctor.
Its not my advice though (be sure to get those shots btw staying up to date with security updates is important after all), its AMD themselves telling you to use the third-party Mesa driver. The only reason they don't on Windows is you can't produce third-party community graphics drivers on Windows since its no longer an open platform.

Actually the fact we now have a viable entirely open graphics stack has enabled things like full speed D3D11 on top of Vulkan from DXVK. In the past do you think it ever would have been possible for the sold developer of a compatibility layer to propose a driver feature, have support added to the graphics API, and then added into graphics drivers?
Think how much further ahead the PC would be if it wasn't constantly hamstrung with console APIs, and now Microsoft wants to tie Windows to the Xbox even more firmly.

To further pontificate.
The cost of selling a game on your digital storefront is mostly a fixed cost. But revenue is a per unit sale figuire. Putting games that are also on Steam on the store, will cost them the same amount, limit their pricing options, and sell way less because people will just buy it on steam instead.
You know why Origin was successful? Cause EA games aren't on Steam. I am sure one day they want to get to a point where People use the Epic Store cause it is the dominant platform. But they are an insanely long way off, so targeting exclusives is their best bet.

> its AMD themselves telling you to use the third-party Mesa driver
On LINUX. Because their LINUX drivers suck, because they half ass them because linux is not for gaming, or many graphically intensive workloads. The same reason Nvidia drivers suck.
Stop obfuscating reality.
AMD doesn't recommend what OS/Kernal you use. Only what driver to use on said Kernal. Their first party windows drivers are better than Mesa drivers.
>Think how much further ahead the PC would be if it wasn't constantly hamstrung with console APIs
Probably like 10-20 years behind.
Vulkan was the first open API to not be like 10 years behind the DirectX version of its time. And even then it lacks the resources/support/information to be viable for a lot of devs to use.

yeah, but of games people will just buy on steam instead.

>making up quotes and then responding to them to validate your shillpost
>the change would be 0 different
Except you don't have the ability to wait a year for it to go on Steam, at that point if people would buy it since waiting wouldn't benefit them. People still shit on Origin and Uplay today, but they don't go around swiping up random games they think people want like Epic
>why are people so melodramatic
Were you around during the paid mods fiasco in April 2015 that lasted 4 days? It's a similar reaction here. I'm not a complacent faggot like you retards are. I'm not an apologist and I care about the hobby and don't want it to go under because of idiotic businessmen and the complacent idiots defending them.

Attached: 2823fe0780.png (613x389, 44K)

>Windows is more vibrant and malware-free than ever

Attached: 1471796460601.gif (320x240, 2.15M)

>read interview
>it's just Sweeney saying screw the customers, we missed the boat on making our own PC store so now we're gonna brute force ourselves into a major competitor whether you like it or not

lol people are actually defending this?

>no download cap control
It's like they don't want me to use their store. Even Bethesda launcher has that.

Attached: 1530310224828.gif (250x277, 1.88M)

their store is perfect though, they said they dont need to change or improve anything.

Only ones defending them I've seen are people involved with them in some way. Like a journalist or dev. Mostly on Twitter too.

Attached: Screenshot_20190218-112633_Firefox.jpg (1075x1186, 336K)

>The overhead for running a digital storefront is insanely low.
As someone who works on IT for a bank I tell you, mantaining servers and a payment platform is pretty expensive and demanding.
I will never understand why Yea Forums thinks that running a payment platform is like seeding a torrent.

>making up quotes and then responding to them to validate your shillpost
You literally said "you don't care how easy it is just to use EGS" I am sorry, but that is pretty dumb. That should be the central point of contention.
> at that point if people would buy it since waiting wouldn't benefit them
I am waiting for it to be $30, Steam or Epic Store I don't care, whoever gives me it first. You keep confusing most people with irrational fanboys. People buying a game day 1, are more negatively impacted by the $60 price then they are if Gabe approves of it or not.
> People still shit on Origin and Uplay today
ironically, in all these Epic threads, where I point out their success, people say it is different cause they are exclusives. Origin has always been unjustly shit on IMO. It is actually a pretty competent product.
>but they don't go around swiping up random games they think people want like Epic
EA just buys the whole studio first so this somehow makes it totally different.
>Were you around during the paid mods fiasco in April 2015 that lasted 4 days?
What a weird thing for a steamfanboy to bring up. Valve can do no wrong and needs to competition remember!? paid mods is GOOD! and surely never happened!
>I'm not a complacent faggot like you retards are
I am not complacent. I buy what I think is worth the money, and don't buy what isn't. Videogames are a product to be consumed and enjoyed. They need no ideology or brand loyalty.
> I'm not an apologist and I care about the hobby and don't want it to go under because of idiotic businessmen and the complacent idiots defending them.
Yes vidya will go under cause of the two second install that is the EGS. I got Axium Verge for free, now we will have a great crash as a consequence. Should have bought it from steam.

>Can't use Paypal in Epic Store
>No plans of adding support for Paypal
Hahaha.

I agree that Epic games store are cheaper to run, cuz it has 0 services, while steam demands more maintenance

But it doesn't give the consumer a better deal, and why should the consumer give a shit about the dev?

>I will never understand why Yea Forums thinks that running a payment platform is like seeding a torrent.
What is the margin charged to use Paypal, Amazon Pay, Visa Checkout, etc? is it all 30%.
As Al Gore, inventor of the internet, I will never understand how measly IT people think it is expensive. Furthermore, if it is that expensive, then Why did EA leave Steam? surely running their own payment system cost them so much that they are losing money now!

This guy is not a journo, he works for epic

minecraft was popular too

desu I am okay with that. It's like the southwest model but for gaming.

>The Fortnite fad will die in a year

It didn't die when Valve drones said it would - why would it die now?

Attached: fortnite apex.jpg (1259x536, 242K)

Fuck Steam drones

I have no idea why you are so obsessed with the idea that Apex is supported by "Valve drones", but you are either autistic or actually paid to show up in every thread.

apex is an ea game you retarded brainlet

>I have no idea why you are so obsessed with the idea that Apex is supported by "Valve drones",

Because it was

Attached: cringe valve fans.png (1608x1029, 148K)

SHOW ME YOUR PENGUINS

Attached: 1529558154791.png (848x1024, 89K)

>the tf2 of this decade
YOU'VE GONE FAR ENOUGH, YOU MUST BE DESTROYED

Attached: 272e3e66096b39c238686afdb77a8be8df7a141f_hq.gif (400x225, 967K)

Not according to Valve brainlets

Attached: valve fanboy.jpg (1526x472, 160K)

>look, I found a thread where people said it
Yes, you did, good job. That obviously uncovers a vast conspiracy of valve supporters, not just a handful of people finding it funny.

>through all of 2017

That's not true at all, though. Overwatch was still top dog until around March-April of 2017, which is when PUBG really took over until its popularity started to wane in favour of Fortnite much later in the year.

Wow used to be top dog and now it's down to 10% of their peak subscribers. So was league, minecraft, call of duty and many more.

Game wasn't even released until september 2017 lmao

>and give developers a better deal

Attached: 1455835219583.jpg (281x200, 7K)

If the cut mattered to Deva that much they would volunteer to be discord exclusive with their 10% cut, but we know money changed hands just like the dev for Satisfactory admitted.

>shilling this hard for shit platforms that only benefit anyone in the short term
>claiming you aren't complacent while saying EA has been unjustly shit on
>blaming Valve for Bethesdas idea when Valve removed it quickly instead of doubled down on it
>it's wrong to be brand loyal because it doesn't affect me right now to support a company that could potentially fuck the consumer later on

Yeah naw, go back 2 Tianya, Chang.

Attached: 1552240570996.gif (350x254, 661K)

>HL2
you mean like noone shares their first party games?
but uh-uh
marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Orange-Box/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024541080f
It's like a unique company is pro consumer and that's why people like them

>yfw the EGS literally won't be improving, despite already being outdated as fuck

Attached: seizure.gif (350x260, 895K)

>Same reason I use steam
WHAT THE FUCK BUT THEY LITERALLY JUST SAID EPIC HAS LESS FEATURES SO IT'S NOT THE SAME REASON I USE STEAM

As opposed to giving money to Epic so they make more Fornite skins?

>These battles will be won on the basis of game supply, consumer prices, and developer revenue sharing."
Supply side economics do not work. You cannot provide more supply and increase demand. As a digital project, the "supply" is already infinite.

Also anyone who thinks the storefront cannot be improved is a fool

Is there an Epicspy?

You're thinking things wrong. They're gonna limit supply to their store only, control the prices and revenue sharing. This way prices will stay up due to limited supply and devs get more revenue from their cuts.

Imagine writing all this just to show how much you don't care

Attached: 1501068534280.jpg (675x1200, 130K)

The "console war" thing is like the same five anons back and forth. Most of us shitposters enjoy the tencent and china bashing much more.
Other than that... does anyone here even legit give a fuck? As much fun as chingchongblingblongposting is for me, I've looked at their store twice, and haven't really given a shit about anything else other than Sweeney's blatent twitter lying since.

>origin comes out
>significant privacy and security concerns
"You'd have to be a retard to install origin, fuck off why would give all your data to EA, boycott them, never buy anything from those fucks you can't trust them"
>epic game store comes out
>significant privacy and security concerns
"It's just another launcher. Just download and install it. It's free what the fuck are you whining about. Just fucking INSTALL IT FUCKING DOWNLOAD IT IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL THIS IS COMPETITION JUST FUCKING DOWNLOAD IT WHAT'S THE PROBLEM"

Why?

I dont like the epic store. They took rebel galaxy outlaw from me.

I am not shilling. I just don't care. Why is it that everyone that doesn't have dying loyalty to Steam is a shill? why do you guys keep using the debunked China talking point?
>claiming you aren't complacent while saying EA has been unjustly shit on
For Origin yeah, it is actually pretty good. Obviously that is not true of every criticism of EA. The new Battlefront games triggered me royally.
>>blaming Valve for Bethesda idea when Valve removed it quickly instead of doubled down on it
Ahhh of course, forgot Valve could do no wrong. The paid mods on the Bethesda workshop was it? Can you imagine if a Game was Epic exclusive, and people had to use Nexus Mod Manager!? How would Valve even monetize the mods!? horrible noncompetitive practice here. I think everything gaming related should be fully controlled by Valve.
>it's wrong to be brand loyal because it doesn't affect me right now to support a company that could potentially fuck the consumer later on
Yeah. Epic could potentially fuck me later on. This is true, and I would call them out and stop using their service.
Steam on the other hand, could never fuck me right? Gabe loves me! Company A is bad incase they do something bad in the future.
Company B is good because they could never do something bad in the future!?

Does it matter? RGO is just a generic freespace clone now but worse.

I don't care about either company. I do care about fanboys fucking everything.

You k ow what's convenient, automated refunds, each game having a forum and a built in review system. Like when a game on Epic broke and people were asking for troubleshooting on Steam, good times.

Yea Forums and the internet as a whole have gotten considerably stupider over the years.

It's this nigger again who claims he doesn't care about either company but shills EGS. How you doing? Still being a faggot I see.

>all this hypocrisy in one post
God damn, user. Are you even remotely self-aware?

You use Steam for the games not the features user.
Yeah but people care because they got them riled up for the clicks.

Not him, but nobody's saying anyone who's not for Steam is a shill, they're saying that anyone who's for EGS is.

Because Valve had pissed people off recently.for various reasons - whether due to censorship, lack of censorship, their shitty card game being shit, or lack.of HL3. People were mad at valve, so it's become about spite.

does epic games store have anything remotely like steam workshop?

What privacy and security concerns should I have of either platform? and why are said concerns not ones that I should have of steam?

>Developer revenue sharing

Has literally no bearing on my customer experience. None whatsoever. It is something that video game """"""""""journalists"""""""""" care about because they talk to the devs.

You know Steam workshop is bad for modding and services like GoG, right?

>Not the features
Steam Workshop alone justifies Steam. The fuckoff process of installing mods or using moddbs special downloader replaced with a single click

>It is cheaper in NA, the part of the world that matters.
It's not actually.
I have yet to see a single game on the Epic store that's as cheap as the third party Steam keys I can get on sites like GMG.
Pic related, got DMC 5 for $40.
Not a single "deal" on the Epic store comes close to this.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-11 Outlook.png (640x204, 7K)

>I will just as happily buy a game from either store
OKAY SO WHY ARE YOU SHILLING IF YOU DONT CARE.
In which part am I hippocritical.
I'm not for EGS though. Right now I just use it for free games, which is cool, and I will use it to buy a game one day if the price is right. Hell if the same game is the same price on both stores, ATM I would still probably use Steam. You do realize not actively shilling for Steam, does not make me "for" EGS. I am for games. I currently have some from like 10+ different stores/platforms.

Who the fuck are you to tell me how I use what?

youtube.com/watch?v=bNNcykRtQoA&t=10m38s

>is the fact you idiots think automatic updates are a good thing

Attached: jesus fucking strawman.gif (507x200, 13K)

Mmm no, this only works on consoles.
This doesn't work on a platform where I can easily just tell you to eat a dick and pirate your game.

>I will just as happily buy a game from either store
>By the way, fuck Valve fanboys, Epic Game Store for life
You're not fooling anyone you trash cunt.

Of course the games won't be cheaper, Epic needs the price to be high so their 12% is enough. Also there's no competition since they disallow selling the game on other stores, unlike Steam. So there's no pressure to reduce the price. That's not even counting the processing fees that get pushed onto the customer.

LOL at this video - this guy is such a faggot and Yea Forums stole all their opinions about Epic Store from him.

Im fucking plying. That faggot stole all his points from me.

the info he give a "faggot" too?

Some people are getting hammered with emails that pajeets are trying to access their account. Some other people have reported purchases actually made from their account and there's also something going around that they aren't GDPR compliant. There have also previously been reports of fortnite accounts hijacked.

Steam Workshop can especially fuckoff and die though. If it wasn't for Nexus we would all be screwed. Regardless, I am not saying Steam is not "justified" it for sure is.I am simply explaining, why I think Epic's strategy makes the most sense business wise.

People don't like unnecessary change, Steam and PC gaming have been intertwined for well over a decade by this point. Also the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

>Presently all the "bribed" games are discounted in NA.
And yet suspiciously more expensive than similar games are on third party key sites.
Interesting.

>Valve
>customers are king

Attached: 1539089029947.jpg (598x554, 20K)

>open modding community
>bad for modding and GoG
I dunno what you're smoking, but I'm pretty sure Elon Musk was too when he decided to shoot a car into space.

Attached: excuse me what.gif (195x229, 1.29M)

>Steam Workshop can especially fuckoff and die though. If it wasn't for Nexus we would all be screwed.

I really want to hear what mental gymnastics resulted in this thought process.

Anyone who thinks that the dev cut actually matters is a moron. IF devs actually cared so much about the measly 30 vs 12% they'd release on platforms that had better cuts like Itch.io. The truth is that Epic is offering a shitload of up-front money for making the game an exclusive, and the fact that the store has almost no games makes each addition stand out, much like the early days of the switch.

More like people love to find dumb shit to bitch about because they're bored with the reality of existence.

>no currency other than dolar
>no way of buying shit if you dotn have a credit card or a paypal acount

sure thing, its perfect

>Pass on savings to gamers

EXCEPT
THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF FUCK ALL FOREVER HAS ANY PRODUCT WITH A RECOGNIZED PRICE THAT GETS CHEAPER ON THE PRODUCTION END SUDDENLY GOTTEN CHEAPER ON THE CONSUMER END UNLESS THE LAW OF SUPPLY ANF DEMAND DRIVES THAT PRICE DOWN WITH GLUT. GAMES ARE NOT COMMODITIES THEY ARE A LUXURY PRODUCT SND HAVE AN INHERENT BOTTLENECK IN PRODUCTION SO SUPPLY WILL NEVER INCREASE. AAAAA

>>open modding community

Workshop is not open

>reviews
>player count
>automated refunds
>forums
>not making the customer king

>Workshop is not open

Attached: 135173801527.jpg (477x286, 10K)

Except both World War Z and Metro Exodus got cheaper

*dx crotch chop suck it*

THATS NOT WHAT A MONOPOLY IS AAAAAA

>>player count
This is the biggest one for me.
The fact that Valve is the ONLY online store/service that provides actual playercounts for EVERY GAME launched through Steam blows my fucking mind.
How consoles get away with NOT doing this is baffling, I want to know whether or not a multiplayer game I'm buying is fucking dead.

Okay... mongoloid... let me explain real slow... because Steam users... are slow in the head... eh?

If I own a game on GoG....... and the Steam workshop........ has a workshop........ I can't have access to that content...........

Was I slow enough?

in fairness to Epic, there is not much you can do when games on both platforms have to agree to pricing rules. Of course why consumers should give a shit? is that they shouldn't. That's Epics problem. And also why they have gone for buying exclusives, which then you can't really price compare.
I am an omnipotent god. There is a reason you don't see Console users going "yeah I use the steam forum everyday, and read all the steam reviews, console exclusives suck cause I cant post on the steam forums!"
pirates will pirate regardless.
>By the way, fuck Valve fanboys, Epic Game Store for life
Wow what a weird quote. Who is it from?
Personally I would hate EGS fanboys just as much, if not more, if they were a thing that remotely existed.
I get this on steam to the point where I had to actually incovenience myself with 2fa.
Not watching your autistic YouTube channel.
also
>Epic Monopoly.
haha they have like 25 fucking games user.

Because developers don't want to you to know because they DO want you to buy their dead gane

Attached: mad max bait.gif (300x252, 2.79M)

NO STEAM NO BUY!

Yeah retard, it's completely open for CUSTOMERS. Any CUSTOMER is able to contribute to the workshop and take from it. Do you walk with your own food into restaurants and demand they let you use their seasonings on it?

You can't even use paypal on the Epic store

Videogames are not actually $60 anymore. AAA publishers have gotten price discrimination mastered to the point where they basically capture all consumer surplus. I think this would afford them more options to sell at the low end. But not necessarily a day one price drop on the "standard" edition release.

connection?

That guy says a lot of dumb shit and frankly I'm disgusted that people would want to support the studio that not only dropped the ball on the new Unreal Tournament but also gave us fucking Fortnite.

Shouldn't Valve come up with their own successful IP that would attract consumers just like Fortnite did it for Epic?

Why does Yea Forums pretend like Valve doesnt have to EARN their costumer base?

Eat shit Pcbros, the future is changing and Valve isn;t

Attached: 1548783929030.png (600x600, 215K)

>which then you can't really price compare.
So in other words, they're not cheaper.
I mean they are for me, because I'm pirating them.
>pirates will pirate regardless.
Nah, I'm proof of that, just bought DMC 5, will also be buying Sekiro, have plenty of disposable income, will gladly pirate every Epic exclusive.
I don't support anti-consumer shit like the trash Epic is trying to push.

that makes it even worse

im brazilian, i only play single player games and i dont have a credit card

they offer brazilians the chance of buyin with bank slips
you pay the bank. they accept the payment and the next day they send the money to valve. that unlocks the game

kinds sucks that you dont get it imediatly but fuck me i dont need a credit card

The consumer was never their concern.

People give valve shit for not making HL3, but where's unreal 3? Why did they shut down UT4 development?

But the main point of contention is that Epic is purchasing exclusivity for games they didn't make.

There have been plenty of games that released on gog and steam and the people who bought it on gog got fucked because all the mods were only uploaded to steam workshop. Also steam workshop is a piece of shit that doesn't even work in offline mode and you lose your mods if the modder/valve removes it

>Windows is more vibrant and malware-free than ever
Microsoft LITERALLY forces unwanted programs and updates into your computer.

Did you guys not read the original post? He said it was bad for GOG users, and he was right. It is also bad for modding in general because often it doesn't install mods correctly, doesn't have install options and can't really work for certain types of mods like script extenders and ENB. Skyrim, the game with the largest and most active modding community of all time since 2013, looks down on the Steam workshop and people who depend on it was inferior.

Although it is still better than the Epic store which probably wants to get rid of modding entirely.

>Fortnite takes off
>Epic immediately drops development of all their other games
Just a reminder that the only people defending Epic are consolefags who just want to stir the shit pot and shills.

Coke Vs. Pepsi
Ryu Vs. Ken
Meat Vs. Veggies
Matt Damon vs Ben Affleck
McDonalds Vs. Burger King
Cats vs Dogs.
USA vs UK
Go.

I'm torn about the nodding community, the content they make is a huge part of.PC culture but on the other hand they are the most shrieking autistic snowflake glass jaw drama huffing fucks you ever met

Name ONE steam workshop mod you can't download and install manually from nexus

Remember when Fortnite was a tower defense game? Lol

steamcommunity.com/app/356570/workshop/

If I own Party Hard on GoG, I can't access the workshop content. Why are you so fucking stupid?

>So in other words, they're not cheaper.
Well Metro was $60, and now it is $50. It IS cheaper than the standard launch price of an AAA. I am simply giving you that you cant price compare against steam keys from a few weeks after launch cause they don't exist. So yeah the "cheaper" is a bit overblown, but in the way Sweeney defines it, which is obviously slanted in his favour, it is. Im still not paying $50 for it. Like I said earlier ITT. However can get it to me for $30 Canuck bucks first gets my money.
>I don't support anti-consumer shit like the trash Epic is trying to push.
What ever helps you sleep at night.
Personally I pirate cause I am a cheap asshole. I pirated DMC V cause I didn't want to pay for it. But maybe I will tell myself I dont like the DRM attached or whatever.

normie modders put their shit only only workshop, but there are services/smart modders that help you download the mods independently

So who are to blame?

Normie mods that don't release them on the net/Valve that allows them to mod?

Being paid for their shity indie games in advance based on 'projected sales' is basically the holy grail of these devs.
No user reviews is just the cherry ontop.

You can even use Steam Workshop in tandem with Nexus' mod manager Typhoon
So Download the mod from moddb instead?

It's neutral for GoG users at best. How is it objectively bad for them? If your reasoning is "because they can't use the mods", no. That's not because of Valve, it's because GoG doesn't have a platform for running said mods like Steam does.
>it's also bad for modding in general because often it doesn't install correctly, doesn't have install options and can't really work for certain types of mods
So is it unfair that GoG can't use it or is it bad for modding?

There are only two games that received a price drop since moving to EGS
Metro $10 drop in some regions, solely because this whole controversy thing to make themselves look good
World War Z a WHOOPING $5 drop which is nothing when taking into consideration you can buy these games for even cheaper on places like GMG
but hey hey, its all for the consumers

>I am simply giving you that you cant price compare against steam keys from a few weeks after launch cause they don't exist.
You mean a few weeks before launch.
My order was a pre-order, so not only is it a bigger discount than ANYTHING on Epic, but it was a 100% pre-ordered game.
>Canuck
That explains so much.

>Spyware
>Acting like their AAA billboard ad space is somehow tailored to your account
>Shitty data security
>Trying to monetize mods
>Letting devs sell shitty asset flips and censor the fuck out of their forums
>The customer is king

Metro is 60€ for me

This. I hate Valve after their horrendous assholishness, and I sincerely hope that Epic manages to kill them once and for all.

Hey Gaben, eat shit, I hope you die of cancer.

Attached: laughing pepe.jpg (2544x4000, 906K)

>Although it is still better than the Epic store which probably wants to get rid of modding entirely.

Wrong. Listed right on their front page

Why do Steamers have to lie?

Attached: epic store mods.jpg (1652x1006, 142K)

>88/22
>88+22 = 110
>???

Attached: existence is a joke.jpg (500x375, 47K)

But why?
I am not trying to shitpost. Please don't just go on an autistic rampage about how I am a shill or whatever. I am just legitimately curious as to why it is different PRAGMATICALLY, or to the consumer that they do this, versus first party. Like EA bought Respawn, so now Apex being Origin exclusive is okay. But if they didn't and it was published by IDK, Activision, and Origin paid to sell it, it would be different somehow?

They are allowed to do what Valve has been doing for years (creating a monopoly) because they managed to make a successful IP, when was the last time Valve made a game worth playing?

Attached: 1547219075314.jpg (1080x1080, 140K)

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king

Who gives a fuck about Unreal except for retarded hipsters? Fuck off.

we were discussing NA. Though it is actually 50 Euros plus tax.

I agree that they're better than Epic in most ways, I'm just saying it's laughable to say their top priority is the customer. People just forget all the shady af things they've done over the years.

Neck yourself consolenigger.

>valve's been doing it
Name one game where valve purchased exclusivity. Just one.

I've gotten countless emails of some russian fucking trying to access my epic account that I made to check out UT4, never received one email from steam. They also canned paid mods in a few days while bethesda is still selling them.

Thats not what a monopoly is. Steam is not a monopoly. At no point have they extended control vertically up the chain of production.

>People just forget all the shady af things they've done over the years.
Nah, it's just that every single major company in the gaming industry has done shady shit, including CDPR, as much as I like them.
So yea, like user said, Valve is the lesser evil.

I will NEVER use another launcher for my games.

Literally all of the games they've created. For a company that cries against exclusivity, they sure ignore the fact that they made their games exclusive on THEIR platform. They're hypocrites.

True but they got beaten into submission. The problem is we'll have to do it all over again with Epic

What spyware?
The big shit isn't, the discovery queue is.
Nobody has had actual date stolen. There've been scares, but nothing consequential ever happened. Unlike EGS.
Yeah, and then they stopped after backlash. Also that was fucking years ago.
"I don't like people being allowed to do what they want freely. I want big brother!"
"I don't like how AAA companies get so little control over what I do. EA should be able to control the market!"

Steam's workshop was shit because Valve realized very quickly a One Size Fits All mod utility is shit. That pile of shit couldn't even assign a load order to your mods. SHIT, SHIIIIiiIIT! The Nexus tried to push the same shitty idea where it had a program to install mods for you, and ran into the same problem. Modding can't ever really turn all-automated, unless you're just talking about "modding" as downloading vanity cosmetics like reskinned hats.

It's bringing bought exclusivity from consoles over to PC, which is fucking awful, and furthermore if you acquire a studio, you now have to support that studio or risk losing money on the investment. If you acquire just the right to sell a game, you aren't obligated to help or support that studio at all.

>Name one game where valve purchased exclusivity. Just one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campo_Santo_(company)#Games_developed

Absolutely embarrassing purchase by Valve too.

Why is every other Canadian on Yea Forums an enormous faggot?
Am I the only sane person in this godforsaken country that browses Yea Forums?

see
Also them fixing it doesn't mean they didn't try. Did they try to make you pay for mods because you are their top priority? You can say they care more than Epic, but it's nothing but reactionary to say something like customer is king for them.

But they didn't need to purchase exclusivity on the games they made, did they? You idiot. reread

Why do I keep getting attempts on my epic accounts? Are they worth more then steam or something? Even during the WoW brute forcing days I never got this many attempts.

I'm not the original guy. I've hated GOG for a long time for being false prophets. They don't care about the modding community either. Some of their games come downloaded pre-modded with unofficial patches with no option to download the unaltered versions so you can use mods that require something like a different unofficial patch. A lot of their workarounds are just stolen from pirate scenes without credit and a lot of their games used to be legally free as abandon. To top it all off; Steam games can be DRM free too if the developers make it that way. So in most cases, games with DRM would just never have ended up on GOG in the first place, while games that would are DRM free on Steam too + you get all of Steam features like the workshop. GoG is worthless outside of a small handful of games that came to Steam with DRM and did not have it remove when they got a GOG version.

I wish I could forget.
That game was the worst case of completely pointless grind and horrible progression I've ever seen.

>Literally all of the games they've created.
But the games that are paid to be exclusivity to the epic game store were not made by epic games.

Reminder that all of these steam "features" that you retards boast about are in fact useless bloats of data that serve no purpose. Epic Store actually is perfect BECAUSE it cuts off the useless bloat in favor of being simple and convenient.

>>Trying to monetize mods
that was bethesda, they done it again with fallout 4

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 852K)

Fair enough, I'm mainly pissed off about how mods don't work in offline mode, it doesn't make any fucking sense. You can disconnect from the internet as soon as the game launches and mods work perfectly fine, but if you have no connection when you press launch then the mods don't work. All of the mods are downloaded and stored on your computer so you should be able to use them offline but you can't.

Wow, look at all these quality and not-garbage game.

Stick to consoles, thanks.

They literally acquired the entire studio, it became a Valve subsidiary, they didn't just purchase exclusive selling rights to their games you idiot.

Zoom zoom!

So instead of 1 year exclusivity... Yea Forums wants Epic to buy up game studios and make them permanently exclusive...

The mind of a Valve drone

>Volvo
>uses revenue to improve store and provide more functionality to add value to games

>epic
>"lel just buy exclusives, fuck the customer"

why would i buy a game on the epic store, it would objectively be an inferior product

>It's bringing bought exclusivity from consoles over to PC, which is fucking awful
This is incredibly obtuse and disingenuous. I bought a PS4 for exclusives, it cost me $200 and forced me to run shit at 1080p 30fps. I downloaded EGS for some free games. It cost me $0 and had no impact on the performance of said games.
> if you acquire a studio, you now have to support that studio or risk losing money on the investment.
could you expand what you mean by this...? I am not sure if you mean one of two things here. One, is that you are saying, you don't have to worry about Respawn games being Origin exclusive, because EA has an incentive to keep Respawn alive and ensure their profitbility. But Epic has no incentive to support devs on their store?
And the other, is that you are saying it's okay to profit maximize if you own the studio, but profit maximizing if you dont is bad?

I would rather them do that then just purchase exclusive rights to the games, yes. The investment is bigger and that studio gets money funneled in for future projects, even with the new oversight.

Though he was right about it being a shit purchase, the shitty stuff that is happening on steam happened after that purchase.

man,these chink arguments always devolve into absurdity as the thread nears its end

>it's everyone else who is a faggot
Oh silly user.

Yeah, that incident proved Epic were right in that no one needed forums or racist mass review bombing to get their problems

You gotta admit, most of the Canadians browsing Yea Forums, and ESPECIALLY Yea Forums are extremely fucking annoying.
Must be all that pent up rage.

>just use our competitors systems if something goes wrong

the problem is justification:

>if you're not retarded you understand that exclusives are shit
>devs want to make all games exclusives to force consumers to use their platform
>consumers don't want that
>AAA companies have ownership of their games so they make them exclusives (except valve marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Orange-Box/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024541080f)
>Others maximize their profits by publishing everywhere like Ubisoft (except division 2, cuz that exclusive money)
>Consumers are conditioned to accept that (cuz of nintendo)
>AA exclusives is the gray line,cuz devs/consumers want those games to be on all platforms, but publishers seek to max their profits, so they make their games exclusives (ex. Deep silver, Sega)

You gotta admit, all of the people browsing Yea Forums, and ESPECIALLY Yea Forums are extremely fucking annoying.
Must be all that pent up rage.

>But Epic has no incentive to support devs on their store?
No, they don't. Those devs made a game and sold exclusivity, epic has no fiscal interest in keeping that studio alive, nor do they care if the studio ever makes another game.
>but profit maximizing if you dont is bad
Buying exclusivity isn't maximizing profit, it's hoping to hook people onto your storefront. They get no kickback from total sales, they only get the take from the purchases on their store. They are "Maximizing profit" in that they are getting more sales on their store as there are no alternatives, but it's not like this move for exclusivity was boosting the developers beyond the lump sum paid for the exclusivity deal.

>uses revenue to improve store and provide more functionality to add value to games
But they keep making it worse and worse user.
>why would i buy a game on the epic store, it would objectively be an inferior product
Exclusive or cheaper. Obviously if the game is on both stores, and the same price on both stores(which it has to be day one) buy it from Steam. You would be stupid not to.

Nah, I've met some SE Asians who browse Yea Forums and are pretty chill.
Maybe it's just white people who turn into annoying faggots when they find Yea Forums.

i hope you're hit by a car today

Maybe it's just black people who turn into annoying faggots when they find Yea Forums.

Blacks are annoying no matter where they are.

I hope you're hit by the falling fanbase of Apex

Attached: fortnite apex 2.jpg (1551x549, 293K)

what about the other games?

tim sweeney touch my peeney

Attached: 1552208092582.jpg (640x640, 126K)

you're comparing a company buying a development studio which they will potentially help fund and develop their future games to a company that's simply paying for 3rd part exclusivity

if this is really your best example then we're done here, you have nothing of value to say

youre retarded

>No, they don't. Those devs made a game and sold exclusivity, epic has no fiscal interest in keeping that studio alive.
Sure but they spent some money, on getting exclusivity, and want to recoup/make money, by getting revenue from SALES. so they have an incentive to sell as much of said game as possible. That is no different than a Publisher spending even more money, making a game, and than having to recoup that larger cost by selling as many copies as possible at 100% of revenue. The relationship is longer term in the latter, but I am not sure why it matters...? so Epic doesn't care about Deep Silver, past Metro Exodus, true but what effect does that have on the market?
>They get no kickback from total sales, they only get the take from the purchases on their store.
Which is why they want exclusivity.
>but it's not like this move for exclusivity was boosting the developers beyond the lump sum paid for the exclusivity deal.
Yeah, but lump sum money is still money. at 88% of revenue is better for them then 70%.
Regardless we are getting sidetracked. I am curious how the distinction impacts consumers?

Attached: Crying zoomer.png (434x327, 55K)

They really couldn't think of a better argument?

Attached: 1551224790196.jpg (442x611, 122K)

he is not wrong though.

Are you trying to prove his point? It worked

>how does it impact consumers
I don't know, how does being shunted into a proprietary storefront affect consumers? Surely the bright future of having 10 different storefronts installed to be able to play fucking video games is a bright and happy one?
>Sure but they spent some money, on getting exclusivity, and want to recoup/make money, by getting revenue from SALES. so they have an incentive to sell as much of said game as possible. That is no different than a Publisher spending even more money, making a game, and than having to recoup that larger cost by selling as many copies as possible at 100% of revenue.
The relationship is not nearly as strong, not to mention the possibility that said dev studio is now seen as a pariah for having made the deal int he first place, whether or not they got more out of the deal than not taking it. Having an incentive to sell the game, which isn't why you buy exclusivity by the way, Ashen's sales likely don't matter to Epic in the least, doesn't mean you are going to sell it any harder than any other game on your store. ALL game sales are profitable to you.

>the kids are mad

Attached: LOLLLLLLL.jpg (217x217, 13K)

>But they keep making it worse and worse user.
they've been pushing for linux and vulcan for years and are providing any dev who asks with free servers for their games and free connectivity in general
partner.steamgames.com/doc/features
this is ALL FREE to every valve partner

you're retarded

I mean I think targetting publishers is the winning strategy. But couldn't he at least make some shit up? Throw in some cheap gimmick feature and use it as a talking point?

>steamdrones are zoomers
What. If anything they would be older, kids have no attachment to steam you fucking retard.

>But they keep making it worse and worse user.
from an objective point of view, this is false, you can stream gameplay, you can download and install mods with one click, you can trade and sell ingame items, cloud saves, achievements, reviews, forums, guides

hell up until recently the epic store didnt even have a search function, and since it does not make use of tags like steam, is inherently inferior

okay. But assuming I have an IQ above 10, and so I play games on windows.
Why should I care user? Is it cause they really support the Epson printer port of Doom?

>no u

They're right and it will work.
The average consumer is a shit eating retard with no taste. The lack of ability to complain about bad products is irrelevant to a person who likes every product.
It's not like Steam is any better with their anti-racism and their hate of "school setting"s.

So how long do people give it before Epic reveals that a 12% take isn't actually sustainable for a fully featured and functional storefront and raises their take to something like 20%?

Attached: 1348792609130.gif (189x185, 63K)

i love this place the lulz!

Attached: 1552295442616.png (421x429, 87K)

>and then 25

Seems like it gotten better and better other then the adult game issues and there's more then a few I play anyways with the conveniently placed links and pages to the uncensored patches. I love gnomes and cursed adults!

The mod charging, several super-hyped games that got smacked downs, and so on got retooled pretty quickly. Spent more then a few years on the communities and chat until discord came along.

The sales have been alot more lackluster as of late though. Gone are the $2.50 to $10 deals that were alot more prevalent and more and more games staying at full price with little to no change within a year.

Attached: 1552136894869.jpg (1462x1462, 189K)

>But assuming I have an IQ above 10
you don't.
maybe you'll understand why Linux support is important when microsoft declares full monopoly on video games and makes them all exclusive to Windows 11 and only windows store-approved apps will be able to even be launched on the system

The particular brands of Mudcrab Merchant and "the Lusty Argonian Maid is a one-hand skill book" that I use. There are mods on the Nexus that do the same things but not the specific ones that I use.

>Surely the bright future of having 10 different storefronts installed to be able to play fucking video games is a bright and happy one?
Personally I don't care, I have had this for a long time. But I can see this as a valid complaint or critique, one that I will accept. My question, was why is it okay that you need a nother launcher for Fortnite, but then using that same launcher for Metor is too far.
>not to mention the possibility that said dev studio is now seen as a pariah for having made the deal int he first place
This is circular logic though. paid game store exclusivity is bad, because people hate paid game store exclusivity, because it is bad, because people hate it.
>doesn't mean you are going to sell it any harder than any other game on your store. ALL game sales are profitable to you.
Sure, but it isn't zero sum. You still want to sell it as much as you can, even if it just means getting a new Epic store user. again though, I am talking consumers.

Why the fuck do people think that Twitch viewership means anything?

>from an objective point of view, this is false, you can stream gameplay, you can download and install mods with one click, you can trade and sell ingame items, cloud saves, achievements, reviews, forums, guides
I don't care about gimmicks though, I just use the store which is getting worse and worse.
>hell up until recently the epic store didnt even have a search function, and since it does not make use of tags like steam, is inherently inferior
Oh, Steam is way better than the EGS. I am merely pointing out Steam is getting worse and worse. they can still ruin it quite a bit more, before it would be worse than the current stat of EGS.

Oh for sure. Any day now.
ALso fun fact: it was supposed to happen with 8. Then with 10. You fags are like doomsday people. What came after the Mayan Calendar again?

I feel like I won't be giving them a single cent and that I will return to my pirating ways if there's anything on their store I really want to play. GOG and Steam managed to slowly reduce my piracy to nothing over the years, but I guess it's now time to go back.

>which is getting worse and worse.
>Steam is getting worse and worse.

How about you actually explain in detail how it's 'getting worse'

Denmark is the home of Legos. Finland is the home of Angry Birds.

>was why is it okay that you need a nother launcher for Fortnite, but then using that same launcher for Metor is too far.
Because previously, if you didn't want to install a studio's launcher for whatever reason, you only locked yourself out of games they made. Now, with this shiny new precedent, any given game could become something devoured by a storefront you don't want to use. Sure, this sometimes happened with studios, but it's a lot harder to subsume a fucking studio than it is just to slip some cash into the hands of the devs for exclusivity. I'm not looking forward for the yearly releases to be fucking divided up among several storefronts as big businesses start to moneyhat every small developer.

they've already started doing it with 10 though dumbass

Attached: 1488215038_c5jo5qyxqaaiwhx.jpg (1024x544, 62K)

>I am merely pointing out Steam is getting worse and worse
I don't know, Steam has brought out a lot of features which have become very useful to me over time.

He can't.

>just learning about the Windows 2020 thing

Shit. What's the latest MSDN iso I should get of Win10 before this happens?

I'm still going to rock Win8.1 until my fucking motherboard or CPU can't take any newer games (1070 will be 2080 in 2 years tho). I'm i7 4770K OC'ed to 4.5GHz but fucking modern games are so shit they barely utilize over 60% CPU sometimes (I'm looking at you, FFXIV, fucking japs).

Attached: 1338075647538.jpg (800x800, 91K)

Sure.
Sales are getting worse and worse, flash sales are gone, largely due to the refund policy probably.
The floodgates have opened, and they have dropped every last ounce of QC or curation. they number of games released on steam increased tenfold overnight, without any real Ui or filtering option to fix it. Browsing the store became impsossible, I literally have to browse Yea Forums threads during a sale to see games, because the store itself sucks that much. Greenlight was terrible and what replaced it was even worse. And what is and isn't allowed on steam changes like every five minutes with Gabe's mood creating problems.

his chinese superior didn't tell him that part of the script

Wait is that the discountinued windows S? a special version of windows sold for cheaper to instiutions that didn't want people installing third party shit like schools? one they got rid of and upgrading everyone to full windows.
Fuck you got me.

no, it's not.

Attached: 1378407697046.jpg (576x432, 30K)

GOG fired employees to please SJWs.

>Now, with this shiny new precedent, any given game could become something devoured by a storefront you don't want to use.
Because this is arbitrary. So if Epic just bought a bunch of studios it would be fine?
I mean help me understand.
I am a CoD fan, Respawn looks cool, Titanfall looks cool
>oh no it is Origin Exclusive, I can't play it.
>Oh wait, its being published by EA
>perfectly understandable then, I am just missing out on EA games.
Except EA will publisher more exclusives to Origin, then Epic could ever afford to buy the rights to for their store. So the distinction seems arbitrary at best.
I mean caring that much about a storefront already seems bizarre to me, but I will accept it, since it seems to be a popular belief. My question then becomes though, what kind of imaginery gamer really puts who the publisher is as the deciding factor on top of that? like epic store sucks, sure, then why did nobody care about fortnite being exclusive? But then Metro is, and it is different because it isn't an Epic game you are locked out of? what if Deep Silver made their own store and it was worse than Epics? would that be okay.

>Valve uses their money and influence to completely dominate the PC market
>Yea Forums: Radio silence
People hated steam when it came out. The difference is Valve spent the last 15+ years improving and adding features to their store, while Epic is just sitting there saying their store is already good enough while offering less than even GOG or Origin.

Attached: steam.gif (119x114, 19K)

What is it then? Cause I have windows 10 pro, and this clearly is not a thing here.

how does that impact my transaction of money for DRM free games?

Is Slime Rancher any good?

is this place better than steam?
will they let me buy rape day?

>Because this is arbitrary. So if Epic just bought a bunch of studios it would be fine?
Yes, because it's near impossible to pull a Metro Exodus and fucking purchase a studio two weeks before the games release, not to mention too difficult to allow for the kind of bullshit exclusivity wars I expect to come if this happens. Oh you want to play Rainworld 2? Download the Armor Games launcher. How about Rimworld: New Dawn? That's only on Uplay. LISA: I finally explain Olaf is GoG only, sorry.
>I mean caring that much about a storefront already seems bizarre to me
You don't fucking understand, this is EVERY storefront, Epic just opened Pandora's fucking BOX and set a precedent that any store can just force anyone that wants to play a specific game to download their awful, proprietary storefront, make an account (with NO guarantee of security by the way, you gotta TRUST and BELIEVE) and play through their shitty, unoptimized launcher. Epic Store is shit, but it is just the vanguard of any shit launcher in the business eating indie titles.
>like epic store sucks, sure, then why did nobody care about fortnite being exclusive? But then Metro is, and it is different because it isn't an Epic game you are locked out of?
It's a precedent, an omen of impending doom, something that PC gaming doesn't fucking need.

Do you like chore simulation with alright music? Then it's for you. It's in the same kind of vein as Animal Crossing.

>what if Deep Silver made their own store and it was worse than Epics? would that be okay.
They are welcome to commit messy suicide. Exodus already game out to radio fucking silence even though it looks like a pretty okay game.

Afterparty just removed their release date lads, my condolences if you were looking forward to that game this year. I'd expect an announcement in the near future.

can you like calm down a bit, quit the hyperbole and insane slippery slope what ifs? Cause I was actually trying to have a conversation with you user.
>Yes, because it's near impossible to pull a Metro Exodus and fucking purchase a studio two weeks before the games release
But if they did it would be okay?
>Epic just opened Pandora's fucking BOX
It was inevitable since EA left really. There is just not that much of an incentive to stay on steam.
Anyway user I recommend Launchbox or Playnite user. If it is a problem for you it will alleviate some headache. Also, since you seem to be one of the launcherwars people. Can you explain why people buy Ubisoft games from Steam? I will if it's cheaper. But isn't running Uplay better, or at least less shit then running Uplay AND steam?
That is another one that gets my noggin joggin.

>So if Epic just bought a bunch of studios it would be fine?
Yes, it's natural for a company to release games it owns and funds on their own store. It is not optimal for consumers, but there is no reason to expect a company to directly help fund their competition by selling their work on a competing store if they can make use of their own platform. Nobody is asking Blizzard to sell Overwatch on Steam, Valve to move DotA 2 onto UPlay or indeed Epic to add Fortnite to Origin. It is however not natural to bribe 3rd party developers in order to remove their product from competing game stores and as such force consumers onto your platform, despite your company neither offering consumers any of the features of the stores the game was previously on nor having any role in the game's development.

Pretty sure google and apple is 50:50.

Apple and Google's store takes are 30%

>Nobody is asking Blizzard to sell Overwatch on Steam, Valve to move DotA 2 onto UPlay or indeed Epic to add Fortnite to Origin.
Yes but this is what confuses me entirely. From a consumers perspective these things are literally indistinguishable. Every differentiation is just "well as a business decision you see..."
> It is however not natural to bribe 3rd party developers in order to remove their product from competing game stores and as such force consumers onto your platform, despite your company neither offering consumers any of the features of the stores the game was previously on nor having any role in the game's development.
Why? What makes "natural" I am old enough to member people making the same complaints you are about Origin, now it is "completely reasonable" Hell I am old enough to fucking remember people making them about steam. Now "obviously CS;GO cant be on GoG" Well Why not? The Witcher is on steam. And if Epic Games Launcher is raping you so bad, Why is Fortnite okay?

I will defend epics lack of refunds until the day I die but not having reviews is inexcusable.

>But if they did it would be okay?
I would probably be angry, but it wouldn't be a common occurrence so I would get over it, and furthermore I have 0 fear of a developer team buying war going on with big publishers.
>It was inevitable since EA left really. There is just not that much of an incentive to stay on steam.
The implementation of bought storefront exclusivity on steam was not inevitable at all. EA curling into their own storefront was fucking awful, and this is another step down the shit slope.
>quit the hyperbole and insane slippery slope what ifs?
Name one reason that stores would not buy exclusivity for promising third party and independent games to get people on their shitass platforms.

Dude refunds are 'toxic,' who would want those?

It's pretty damn comfy.

>Can't even give a single reason to use epic over steam that doesn't involve "T-THINK OF THE DEVS!"
The devs are not my friend. I'm not going to use a shittier store with less features and that makes me fill out a couple paragraphs of personal info when I want to refund something just to give the devs a bigger profit

And by refunds I mean reviews, I need sleep

>I will defend epics lack of refunds until the day I die
what

>From a consumers perspective these things are literally indistinguishable.
No, they aren't, they are indistinguishable from the perspective of a consumer with 0 insight into future actions. Buying developers is hard, buying exclusivity is easy. Anyone with a brain can see how fast this shit will accelerate, something that never really had to be worried about when the only way to get exclusive selling rights on PC was buying out the entire development team.

>From a consumers perspective these things are literally indistinguishable.
Not really, mongoloid.
Fortnite would not exist without Epic, L4D would not exist without Valve, Battlefield would not exist without EA, etc. etc.
Therefore no one cares if these games are only on a certain platform owned by their creators.
Third party games ALREADY existed without Epic's moneyhatting, and would have continued to do so, so when they moneyhat a dev all it does is piss people off.
Unfortunately, they chose a really bad time to do this, as the western industry is in a horrible state at the moment and Japs only care about Steam.

>would probably be angry, but it wouldn't be a common occurrence so I would get over it
Fair enough.
>The implementation of bought storefront exclusivity on steam was not inevitable at all
It was inevitbale since EA showed how easy leaving steam was. They want a 30% share, but competing with steam does not require setting up a big physical retailer, does not involve creating your own console, it is as simple as creating a launcher, which sure isnt easy, but is not a problem for a lot of companies. Epic just laid the incentive to use their platform. There are already like 10.
>Name one reason that stores would not buy exclusivity for promising third party and independent games to get people on their shitass platforms.
there is none? epic is doing it, it is just hyperbole because it is a few games and nothing compared to say the biggest publisher, EA, pulling out for their own store. which turned out to basically be nothing.

>Fortnite would not exist without Epic
It wouldnt exist without the EGS either?right, but assuming the consumer wants to play games, and not use their crystal ball to play out conspiracies and guestimate which new plague is gonna kill gaming this week?

>western industry is in a horrible state at the moment and Japs only care about Steam.
oh for a second i was worried i'd have to go to epic games for anime and jap games good now il close this thread and keep ignoring them.

>epic is doing it, it is just hyperbole because it is a few games and nothing compared to say the biggest publisher, EA, pulling out for their own store
Why would storefronts other than epic not begin to also buy exclusivity though? EA was the vanguard for storefront exclusivity for proprietary software, this could be the vanguard for the purchased exclusivity wave.

>and Japs only care about Steam.

If you told me five years ago that Japanese publishers were finally getting off their ass and paying attention to PC I would have called you a liar

>right, but assuming the consumer wants to play games, and not use their crystal ball to play out conspiracies and guestimate which new plague is gonna kill gaming this week?
It is in your interest as a consumer to ponder and explore how something will effect you not just immediately but also in the future. You're celebrating new cheap tires from reduced government regulation without thinking out the fact that the new tires will explode without warning and send belts into your eye.

they could, and it would still be a fraction of the games released exlusive to the publishers platform that year.

I am am celebrating cheap tires by a new company trying to get market share, which is appearantly bad, because they had someone else OEM. but if they OEMed them in house then it would be fine.

>slippery slope
I swear to god that given the amount of times we ended landing in our asses in this fucking industry you would start to think that the slope is indeed slippery

"It's just cosmetic", "the artist have nothing to do that late in development", "its just for people that want to pay to have it early", "It's just a small microtransaction", "they are not taking off content from the main game", "it does not affect the core gameplay"

>and it would still be a fraction
The practice could apply to literally any independent or third party game you might want to play in the future. It doesn't carry the risk of a developer trying to pull into a proprietary storefront either, so there's little to no reason to not do it.
It wasn't a direct comparison, it was just to give an example of how it is in the interest of a consumer to think about the entire impact of a given market change.

I'm waiting till Fortnite starts losing its momentum and the store starts cutting into their profits. I doubt many are clamoring to buy off Epics store and they still have to foot all the costs for the potential losses. Putting all their eggs into one basket was foolish.

Attached: Screenshot_20190224-175336_Firefox.jpg (1078x1320, 457K)

>Yes but this is what confuses me entirely. From a consumers perspective these things are literally indistinguishable.
I see you must be very confused indeed, since you are calling situations with different practical outcomes "literally indistinguishable". You can observe this practical difference quite easily by simply following the events which make up the Metro Exodus debacle and comparing them to the way other companies sell the games they make. The key difference here is that Metro Exodus was pulled from multiple competing stores 2 weeks before launch due to a bribe, while each company's 1st party games simply

>I am old enough to member people making the same complaints you are about Origin
Perhaps you are old enough for your memory to be failing instead, but people have not made the same complaints about Origin because EA has not, at least to my knowledge, bribed 3rd party developers in order to prevent them from releasing their games on other stores. EA funds and makes their own games, then they sell them on their own store.
I am not exactly sure what "people" said either, but you would do well to not attribute unspecific claims to me and to also clearly enunciate the point you are specifically trying to make instead of attempting to make vague statements about what "people said". The situations which you are claiming to be similar are in fact different at their core as far as I can see, because paying bribes to remove products from the competition is in no way equivalent to the act of selling your own product in any way and on any platform you please.

>CS;GO cant be on GoG
CSGO is integrated with Steam features which have no equivalents on any of the alternative platforms. This is entirely obvious, why are you even asking this?

>Why is Fortnite okay?
I don't play Fortnite, nor do I have any interest in it, nor am I familiar with its business and distribution models, so if you want opinions on Fortnite you will have to ask somebody else.

Minecraft still has over 90 million monthly players as of October.

>I doubt many are clamoring to buy off Epics store
You're probably right, since searching for "buy metro exodus" on Google brings up Steam (which doesn't even sell the game) and the fucking Microsoft store ahead of the Epic store, so they're probably not getting a lot of action.

anyone?

Ubisoft even reported preorders are 6x higher on Uplay then the 1st game. Which is due to the fact that nobody can buy on Steam or they would and nobody wants epics garbage shit.

>The practice could apply to literally any independent or third party game you might want to play in the future. It doesn't carry the risk of a developer trying to pull into a proprietary storefront either, so there's little to no reason to not do it.
Yeah, but EA alone will publisher more major games this year than Discord and Epic combined could afford to buy off. Which is why it is not genuine. Add in Activision/Blizzard, Bethesda, Valve, Microsoft(who has a much worse store) and suddenly the distinction becomes contrived again.
>it was just to give an example of how it is in the interest of a consumer to think about the entire impact of a given market change.
But you are falsely insinuating that the games are worse for being exclusive. They aren't and nobdody cared when it was a different publisher on the platform.
>The key difference here is that Metro Exodus was pulled from multiple competing stores 2 weeks before launch due to a bribe, while each company's 1st party games simply
yeah, but unless you are the type of mongoloid who preorders (in which case you got a great deal cause you can sell the steam version for a profit) it seems like you are being arbitrary again.
>but people have not made the same complaints about Origin because EA has not, at least to my knowledge, bribed 3rd party developers in order to prevent them from releasing their games on other stores.
They bribe them with what is called "publishing their games" people made the same complaints they cant deal with 2 launchers, all the games not being on steam means no competition, origin sucks cause it doesnt have gabes logo etc.
>because paying bribes to remove products from the competition is in no way equivalent to the act of selling your own product in any way and on any platform you please.
They are excatly the same to the consumer. You are just making arbitrary distinctions based on publisher.
>CSGO is integrated with Steam features
Oh, okay lootboxes. I love Steam exclusivity.

yikes.
everything after the second line was for Sorry I am multitasking and to lazy to delete and repost.

Why aren't people burning down physical game stores? I remember them taking more than 30%.

>Ubisoft even reported preorders are 6x higher on Uplay then the 1st game
Can someone fucking explain this to me. Why do steamfanboys buy Ubisoft games from Steam? you need to run Uplay anyway, so it is like an extra layer of cancer on your cancer. For a group of people yelling more launchers is terrible, this behaviour makes no sense to me.

They did and do. When Steam came onto the market the 30% cut was seen like how the current Epic cut is being advertised as now. Revisionism and historical ignorance is causing people to look at Steam's cut percentage as some draconian practice when publishers used to take 70% and if you didn't like it you could go fuck off.

Because it's all on a single platform and not fragmented

>Because it's all on a single platform and not fragmented
But that is wrong, it is entirely on Uplay, it is just further fragmented to need both. At the very least, I think you can still launch the game from Uplay with steam closed, even if you bought it from steam.

I mean, I don't think it is draconian, Valve should charge whatever the fuck they can get away with. But to be fair, Valve seems to offer the least for that cut, and is the most easy service to replicate.

It's being sold on Steam and I can use store wallet money to buy it. It makes no difference what's running as long as it's buyable on Steam

Attached: tus.png (372x322, 308K)

>It's being sold on Steam and I can use store wallet money to buy it.
Don't do this. Giftcards are a scam.
Use your CC for the exact amount of the games you are buying.
>It makes no difference what's running as long as it's buyable on Steam
Fair enough I guess, just then would expect it to be a closer to 50/50 split.

>offer the least
>forgots the fact that things like Workshop support, forums, payment systems, feedback system, easy updates, and more are all provided with a cut that is the same as everyone else
>forgets GoG, Origin, Uplay, and the entire console market all charge that cut while providing even worse service.

Attached: 1551799373823.jpg (792x675, 83K)

Bigger publishers can negotiate their cut. Ubisoft could've been only paying a 23% cut for all we know.

>Yeah, but EA alone will publisher more major games this year than Discord and Epic combined could afford to buy off. Which is why it is not genuine. Add in Activision/Blizzard, Bethesda, Valve, Microsoft(who has a much worse store) and suddenly the distinction becomes contrived again.
That's not true at all, and how many times do I have to tell you that I'm talking about third fucking party and indie titles, for which bought exclusivity is OBVIOUSLY cheaper. Actiblizz, Bethesda, Valve, Epic, and Microsoft definitely all have enough money to purchase selective exclusivity for whatever the fuck indie and 3rd party titles they like, dividing them up among their terrible stores and necessitating you run Battlenet, whatever Bethesda's launcher is called, Steam, Epic Store, and Microsoft store to run all the games you might want to fucking play, and who knows what other maverick stores might crop up.
>But you are falsely insinuating that the games are worse for being exclusive
What? No I'm not, I'm sating that the consumer experience is worse due to their exclusivity meaning you will be inundated with proprietary store software. MEtro Exodus is the same no matter which store it is hosted on, but the consumer experience is made worse by the new launcher you have to download and run it off. Now imagine that with EVERY FUCKING INDIE AND THIRD PARTY TITLE.

> like Workshop support, forums, payment systems, feedback system, easy updates, and more are all provided with a cut that is the same as everyone else
A lot of these is A, somewhat unnecessary, or easy to replicate.
for the most part, Origin, Battlenet, Bethesda Launcher, EGS, etc all work fine, not as good as steam? maybe not, but is it that much better to make up for the cut to margins...?
>GoG
GoG does work actually making old games playable that is their value add.
>Origin
Which exists, solely because EA doesn't think Valve's service is worth the 30% cut, that more or less replicates their services, but with EA paying nobody 30% off sales?
>Uplay
See Origin more or less, they are even moving away from Steam. I don't blame them, buy a game for Uplay from Steam, they get 70%. Buy a Uplay game from Uplay, they get 100%.
>and the entire console market
Console market, being companies that sink insane amounts of money into R&D platform development, licensing hardware from AMD/Nvidia, and sell hardware for slim to no margin, with their profit coming from licensing the games? yeah nothing like what steam offers. See the thing with PC gaming is, I am not playing on a steam machine. I built my computer, using hardware from Nvidia, AMD and a bunch of companies completely unrelated to Valve. I run an operating system, created by Microsoft, and using an API that is not made by Valve. So why should valve get the same share as Sony? When I can just as easily install another launcher?
>EGS
Oh no wait you didnt mention that one...

no no, I meant of people buying from Steam, vs buying from Uplay.