Why do people get addicted to MMOs?

Why do people get addicted to MMOs?

Attached: 1.jpg (1920x1080, 164K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/my-life-as-the-grandma-guildmaster-of-ultima-online-forever/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Grinding and repetition attracts autists.

mmos haven't been addictive in a long time.

For the social aspect.
At least for loners(single moms)

They are fun and also designed to be seemingly endless

Because nowadays they are essentially single player games that let you publicly flex on people

Because they have no lives.

Most of the ppl never accomplish anything in life , i mean anything really important like becoming rich or writting a best seller . This games tend to fool the player making them feel like they are accomplishing something important when in reallity they are not . A veteran MMO player can tell the difference but it doesnt mean that at some point he was buying into that idea .

small brain

it rewards them for having no life when they already didn't have one to begin with.

Because they're skinnerboxes, they're designed to be addictive from the ground up.

people with absolutely 0 social skill actually have a chance to talk to people there. Although these days MMO's have gone so woke that you get banned or people stop talking to you for the stupidest of shit. There isn't one thing commies have not ruined yet.

Because they present a simple reward structure that is generally easy to progress through, a modicum of social interaction, and a persistent character to progress with, which makes your accomplishments in them feel like they are real accomplishments in a way that may be missing in your actual life

The worst form of gambling attracts them. The fucking gachapon bullshit

I don't know, there are times when I really do wish I was some MMO addict with a core group of online friends, because that would unironically be an upgrade on my life.

I simply think MMOs are really boring and poorly designed in every respect, where there's no reason to play one over playing a singleplayer game.

skinnerbox elements + online socialization

MMOs haven't been addicting or good since the early 2000s

there are single mothers that play MMOs? ive never in my life heard of anyone to do such a things, and ive been browsing the internet since 2003

>I have no idea what i'm talking about

Is she trying to hold in her poopies?

Just because you brows shit doesn't mean you know shit.

Online interactions are a common day affair nowadays, this is one of the main reasons why mmos aren't as popular anymore. Back in the day being able to belong and interact with an internet community was something new for most people but today the most popular websites allow you to do the same shit at any time.

How do I stop to being addicted to mmo bros?

>what is maplestory gachapon

He's right actually.

Most fun i ever had in an mmo was the Aion beta though

ive never said or implied that i did, bitch. im just saying that if a faggot like myself havent heard of stuff like that, it must be rare. thats why i started the post with a question

jesus fuck I wish I could speak nip and be a member of a comfy nippon MMO group with cute girls

sunk cost fallacy

FUCKING THIS SO DO I BECOME A NORMIE

Do Japanese single female office workers really play MMOs?

What MMOs are you playing?
What keeps you coming back to them?
Are you a faggot?

He's righ if we're talking about korean and chinese garbage

This
Linear, persistent and permanent progression, reward structure, social interaction, and the chance for 'real' accomplishments that might be missing from one's own life. The same can be said for most any online game but MMOs are a great example of them.

Or were. The genre has been in bad shape since about 2013 and doesn't show any sign of recovery; the two most highly anticipated releases are a re-release of a game from 2004 and an expansion to a game from 2011.

Attached: dolabed.png (426x364, 9K)

Get a full time job, you won't have time for MMOs anymore.

Sunk Cost Fallacy. Its why you have WoWfags desperately hanging on their game while XIV-fags think they’re better when they’re playing a weeb skinned WoW-lite. They put in so much time that theyre trying to justify it at this point.

A lot of japanese girls play games and it's not some kind of facebook or mobage shit only. They tend to be the most autistic monhun farmers or obscure mmo plyers that never talk and delete their account the moment someone discovers they're female

Last time I did it I didn't have time for sleep anymore

Something like 30% of mainstream MMO players are women

pcgamer.com/my-life-as-the-grandma-guildmaster-of-ultima-online-forever/

Attached: 1525930030249.jpg (1280x532, 41K)

Maybe this is true for the hardcore addicts. Even people who have spent years and years of their lives on WoW can't stomach BfA.
Classic is probably going to be really big though, at least for a year or so.

Ikr!? Theres nothing boring then braindead grind, how can people have fun with it!?

Grinding can be fun. Also, I reckon it's the same reason people are attracted to gambling, with mmo's rng.

>haven't enjoyed an MMO in nearly a decade

what's a good MMO I should get into bros?

and how the fuck do I make frens in it?

i only really got addicted to ragnarok online, every year i come back and play like a madman for 3-4 months.

Attached: 1526260968508.jpg (970x1000, 213K)

They're designed to make you feel good the more you play by levelling up, getting better items, etc.

I wish more MMOs had private servers that would just totally remove the garbage though. Knight Online is a shitty F2P MMO that tries to make you pay out the ass for items and to not have to grind for months, but it has a really good combat system for an MMO. All the private servers make you level up faster or give you some starter items but they still keep the cash shop in.

>constantly rewarding
>allows social interaction
>avoids your own physical appearance
>is essentially a fresh start
I wish I'd find one I can get into for long.

Addiction really, I used to play a ton till I got bored and moved on to more fun games. What I noticed was the majority of my friends they did still play did it not because it was fun but because they felt they had nothing else to do. Even when given all the alternative games they could play, some being multi-player even they would just say ehh I don't want to play that either.

FFXIV

or maybe it's because they fucking suck and there hasn't been a good one for well over a decade

Same. I mostly played private servers with the same group of friends. Haven't touched it in like a decade though.

I know some people here played UO, but it doesn't seem like anyone played Knight Online. These were the only two MMOs I ever really liked, but playing the official servers now just doesn't feel right. They have a ton of shitty quests to grind and cash shops full of garbage, which isn't as fun compared to doing stuff in PVP zones.

Attached: mmo.jpg (460x473, 117K)

Because they can't be a girl in real life.

Attached: 1521061296062.jpg (520x423, 128K)

>and how the fuck do I make frens in it?
You don't
I just realized that in 15 years I've spent playing MMOs I never made a single friend and all online friends I have are the ones that I met by getting introduced by people I know IRL

You can make friends. It's a secret. Here it is.
ERP

WoW classic is coming this summer.

Find a consistent group of people, typically a guild, to do content with. Show up every day and talk to them regularly. Do content on a regular basis.
It's just like going to school or a job. You make friends with the people you see every day.

Classic WoW vs FFXIV Shadowbringers this summer. Which one will be more positively received by both players and critics?

That's because you have avoidant tendencies and don't go out of your way to interact with others. You probably try to do everything by yourself. Which is understandable since these days MMOs do nothing to discourage that.

>the web manga got anime adaptation when the source was on hiatus for two years already
>it got discontinued a year after
How the fuck did this even happen?

At least that iteration of WoW is an actual MMO, however light. That wrath clone is dogshit and the rivalry between the two post-wrath turds one of the most pathetic and pointless things I've ever seen and I own a fucking mirror.

Authos has autism

It was actually discontinued due to author's health. But what I meant is, how does a series receive anime adaptation when the source has been on hiatus for two years already and there are no plans to resume. Hiatus started in 2015, anime adaptation was in 2017 and it got discontinued in 2018. At the time it got canned, the last chapter was from 2015. What the actual fuck.

Now that I think about it, Clockwork Planet is similar. Last volume came out in 2015, anime adaptation was in 2017 and there's still no sight of new volume coming out. Meanwhile popular ongoing series don't get shit.

I got addicted to wow mostly because I was paying monthly so I felt like any time spent on other games or sitting around not playing was a waste of money.
Plus the social aspect and always having a personal goal to grind toward. Mostly I just liked finding a group to play scarlet monastery with. 2008 burning crusade btw

No one in this thread has ever played an MMO, and it shows.

>I heard stories back in 2008 of nerds playing MMOs and base my whole opinion on that

Yiiiikes

First post best post.

because other people enable them. MMO's are a lot less fun once you've actually traveled and had some shitty sex with some shitty girls.

you kinda realise that the dopamine hits from the game are a trap and not as interesting as real life

Attached: piss tour.png (468x249, 30K)

there's no other game that plays like runescape

I used to play with a milf in WoW a lot.

fpbp. I think this is one of the reasons runescape is so attractive to gaymers

Because reality fucking sucks

The main reason, I believe, is that I don't want to miss out on anything

the anime was so unsatisfying to watch. it was interesting at first, then it gets cringey, then the ending just sucks. MC has big titties though.

Attached: 1538461127368.jpg (600x450, 35K)

>just get laid

Life is mostly a mundane shit circus filled with bothersome, tedious people who want to drag you down to their level. The world is at its most interesting when you're experiencing it either alone or with a close confidant with whom you share mutual respect and enjoy mutual engagement, which is hard to come by. MMOs and other forms of social media are nice because it allows you to keep bad people at arm's length, watching their problems from a largely disinterested distance.

I fucking wish real life was as interesting as any video game but it just isn't.

Attached: gondola underwater.png (736x547, 20K)

Clockwork planet adaptation was complete garbage, the manga artstyle was completely butchered. I honestly think with a better adaptation it could have been incredibly successful, the source material is cute and charming and the premise is nearly impossible to fuck up

Attached: 16.jpg (728x1058, 162K)

>just play games bro

kill yourself. get two dozen notches and travel to a different continent then tell me you want to roll another elf.

Can you speak English please?

I've had shitty sex with some pretty cute girls.
It doesn't matter. Real life is unpleasant because no one tries to be better. Dreams are better than life, because even real life engagement is mostly superficial. People can drop you in a second. Friendships fade under the slightest pressure, even marriage is temporary, people can leave you whenever they get bored with you.

Attached: 1529918226881.jpg (946x341, 115K)

t.mgtow faggot

>just see the world bro
>just fuck bitches indiscriminately bro
You're the worst kind of person this shit society churns out.

sorry brah, I didn't mean to ruin your larp. go watch some anime and then when you take the bus, listen to the Deathu noturu OST so you can have an inner monologue just like Light! or will you sit like L because you are feral and unique..

you're just mad that fights in real life are a knife in your side. and not a kamehameha. that's why there's no ''honour''... women get bored of faggots with nothing going for them.

time to wake up and smell my taint

cringe

t.incel empowered by calling things not as cringey as him "cringe"

dat dere old version of dem warcrafts is still an memorperger, FF vs WoW fight make me feel the sad feel because they same and yous dumb

Spoken like a true teenager.

MMOs give a feeling of community no other genre is able to give, back in the golden days of Ragnarok in my country we had a guild meetup irl.

No second season ever. Your left with a hole in your chest with a fluttering hope that she won't fuck it up.

Attached: 1548811978613.png (328x320, 118K)

Post your passport.

Imagine getting so mad that you vomit out something like this. He's right you know, saying "just travel and put your penis in a bunch of vaginas dude LMAO" makes you sound like a basic bitch simpleton/woman.

should i sign up to wow to meet these moms?

stop redpilling me on how shit real life is if you aren't going to give me solutions.

Ctrl+F:
°Skinner"

2 results found.

Really, Yea Forums? Fucking really?
With one or two exceptions of MMO's that are heavily player-driven (Eve-Online...), it's always a skinnerbox. A very basic, mechanical problem. It is not really in any way different from being addicted to slot machines, except usually slightly less economically devastated. Good settings or some interesting gameplay mechanics will carry the game for a short period, but virtually all MMO's will gain long-term followers by using simple loop of repetetive tasks with semi-randomized rewards that will become routines for the player. Grind is addictive. Especially to people who already have addictive pre-dispositions. Again: it's 90% basic neurochemistry.

I already did bro. get off this site and just lobotomize yourself with self-help, gym and trying to create a passive income.

you'll eventually come back just to shitpost and laugh at incels/people that don't wanna change.

>so you can have an inner monologue just like Light!
Imagine not being able to have an inner monologue. Descarates is rolling in his grave.

k

Wasnt it Josei?

> treating a game as a "second job"
this is the reason why I stopped playing WoW

Please please go play your MMO. You need to go turn on an OST and while you type in your log in details L's theme kicks in and you feel like you truly are the main character

What is this skinner people keep talking about?
>virtually all MMO's will gain long-term followers by using simple loop of repetetive tasks with semi-randomized rewards that will become routines for the player. Grind is addictive.
if this is all it takes why do so many mmos fail? and why is wow failing currently with rng being one of the reasons people cite for leaving, hell why is anthem failing or being scalded if it uses these fundamentals with an emphasis on gameplay that tab target mmos like wow can't hope to match?

There's no real solution. Everyone's looking for answers. Video games are, same as any form of fiction, escapism from the mundane realities of which we must all face.
The best I can tell you is to spend time with those you care about and learn to enjoy the time you spend by yourself.

That's some projection. I hope you managed to scrub all the pictures from the web.

Why do you think drugs like weed and alcohol are so popular?

I miss Morimori.

This, the last time I got semi-addicted was when I played Aion.

This is low tier bait, but what's your obsession with the death note ost anyway?
you don't like good instrumental music

google skinner box

>turns on the real fork brues from cowboy bebop
>heh this guy is talking about quitting mmos and travelling the world fucking beautiful women, what a creep
>sings along in engrish
>theee reeeaaarrr fooork baruuus
>heh heres to you Yea Forums we really are.. anonymous...

because they are not gamers so they let any scam software posing as "game" be passed to them as one.

Like Jehova Witnesses can pass their sect thing as "true bible" only to those who never cared for religion

I'm not seeing a correlation user,
I work for money, is my job a skinner box?
I go to the gym to stay in shape is exercise a skinner box?

pwned nerd

Because that faggot Koolkid2k7 keeps bragging about his higher wc level. I'll fuckin teach him. bitch

Then you aren't looking hard enough.

that's a lot of projections man you seem pretty insecure i just asked why you seemed so obsessed bashing a mostly instrumental ost, I thought you had a point and wanted you to elaborate but i guess you're just somesort of fag. don't worry about it.

Random loot mechanic (not limited to mmorpgs but in this case connected heavily with peer comparison that is lacking in other games) + social aspect is a big addiction component. Turns out being rewarded with something everytime you do it is leagues less addicting than everytime.

Iirc one of the orig eq devs was a pyschologist that specialized in gambling before transitioning to game dev.

>outwitted another opponent on Yea Forums
>my body count is not just in mmos now heh
>naukushitaaa kotobaaa

i feel you are just seeing a correlation because you want one user, how is gym or work any different from reward to effort.

>What is this skinner people keep talking about?
Are you fucking kidding me? How fucking old are you that you don't know what that is? Also, you have it straight up summed in the post you are replaying to. Also, you are on-line, google that shit.

>if this is all it takes why do so many mmos fail?
Because you first have to get people hooked in the first place. Players need to settle into a routine before they become addicted. Also, other genres appeared post the MMO craze and turned out to provide similar reward system accompanied by additional benefits. MOBA's completely canibalized MMO's PvP appeal, survival-games cannibalized the social interaction dimension of it, and each came with their own version of the skinner-box on top of it.

keep it up, i'm laughing at how much asking you about this have upset you.

Along with everyone else but you. Yeah, guess you're just that smart.

>LoL is the only moba left that isn't dying or descended completely into shit
It hurts. I just wanted HotS to be successful.

To me it was enjoyable gameplay, the sense of exploration and finding a group of friends to do it all with. I only played the original Guild Wars and WoW up to TBC for any really significant amount of time and really liked both. After that I haven't been able to really get into any MMO, nor have I really even seen any MMO which looked very appealing to me.

I honestly fucking wish I could find another MMO to deep-dive into like GW and early WoW, but I feel like too much has changed. I'm much older and more experienced with games, game design ideas are different and the communities themselves are different. I don't really think it'll happen, not unless something new comes along and gets to have its own fresh start, maybe then. Maybe once VR gains more traction I'll find some early-ish VR MMO to really get into.

stop egging him on trying to get the last word in, you're no better
at least his are funny in a what a sad sack of shit do you have to be to type that out kind of way

Much like Moba cannibalized MMO's, new generation of multiplayer FPS and do a degree survival games cannibalized the Moba genre. I never got hooked up on either, so I don't really care, but I can understand how the volatile climate can be frustrating. And more to the point, of all the Moba I've looked into, LoL felt the most dull.

I'm 99 years old, don't tell me to google your point kiddo.
>Because you first have to get people hooked in the first place. Players need to settle into a routine before they become addicted. Also, other genres appeared post the MMO craze and turned out to provide similar reward system accompanied by additional benefits. MOBA's completely canibalized MMO's PvP appeal, survival-games cannibalized the social interaction dimension of it, and each came with their own version of the skinner-box on top of it.
See that I understand because you've taken time to make a point and not just name drop an experiment.

>I'm correct because everyone else agrees with me
>he said on an anonymous imageboard with a conversation he was having with one other person.
So this is what it's like to talk to the left

Wow has actually moved away from rng with the advent of tokens and whatever over the years for loot pieces. People have always complained about rng but it is why people come back despite the tears.

B

>logs into discord and mmo
>I am destroying this guy on Yea Forums right now
>ill link you guys
>"hey man can you turn down your music?"
>oh sorry
>akeboshi-wind.mp3

you are unique. forget women and travel, play more now. I demand it. if you play in the next 10 days it's because I said so. good lad.

Hero shooters cannibalized MOBAs, which sucks, because the only ones worth playing are TF2, Overwatch and fucking Paladins. TF2 is over a decade old, Overwatch is incredibly unsatisfying to play, and Paladins feels like a bad chinese knockoff yet is ironicaly the best one.
BR is the next step in this genre of competitive mainstream games, what with Gaypex now having hero shooter type characters, and boy are they unfun to play. I don't know how they've gotten so popular.

>stop egging him on trying to get the last word in, you're no better
It's not about being better, it's more about extracting autism

Please keep projecting i want to see great feats of mental gymnastics, go beyond the mundane you can do better.

> taken time to make a point and not just name drop an experiment

Attached: 1550593575201.jpg (954x1272, 107K)

They used to be good

Attached: 1538432870398.png (295x264, 43K)

fag

weak

The prospect of joining a community and repetitious and easy to do grinding.

The social aspect is the glue to it though, without it people will get bored of grindfests and repetition quickly. That's why the subscriptions for games like WoW drop when they become more and more singleplayer focused.

I miss Star Wars Galaxies pre combat patch. I miss it so, so much.

Attached: 1536345536983.jpg (240x231, 8K)

do good mmos even exist anymore?
feels like you pick between FFXIV or WoW or some p2w grindy korean shit.

Attached: smp5.jpg (1920x1080, 1.35M)

I played endless online in a guild lead by a housewife. She was one of the coolest people i'd ever met. Wonder what she's up to nowadays.

fuck man, I wish I still had an MMO with a regular group to play with

singleplayer gaming can be pretty lonely

osrs is the only decent mmo at this point, and even thats going downhill now

Or a private server for an older game like DAoC or EQ.

Not limited to MMOs either. Any remotely challenging game attracts people with this mentality.
The only difference between accomplishing something in life or in a game is the monetary gain, really. As soon as we transcend capitalist money, video games will become full time jobs.

>tfw learned korean
>playing lineage with koreans who are on 24/7
literally more people playing on one lineage server than there are on all the ff14 servers in the NA cluster.
hilarious.

>good
>mmos

Attached: 1526163095050.gif (500x255, 987K)

why korean?

because japan doesn't do MMOs, china's MMO culture is shit and more p2w than america, and american localizations of MMOs are very p2w from the korean versions because westerners love to throw their wallets at problems. Compare korean maplestory to american maplestory, both 1 and 2 are so much worse in the west.

UO was good pre-trammel.

Not him but they actually still play mmo's regularly. Hell, even the ones that were closed down for the west are still alive and active over there.

I wouldn't have guessed that. Anyway, cool to pick up a language through MMOs. That's how I learned English. It's a nice way to get some exposure if you're going to be playing anyway.

Korea is better, japs have good ones but korea is better, only drawback is they've got that national ID system. so you need to find a middle man to sign you up most of the time which they do for shekels.

The thing that makes this worst is koreans game servers have loads of free events because whales keep their games afloat and they see a reason to jew them, but western game devs will jew you nonstop.

They see no reason*

how come MMOs are always made like it's mandatory for the gameplay, level design etc. to completely suck?

are you not allowed to have a well designed video game if it also has perpetual online?

there's no current MMORPGs worth playing at all.

Yeah it started out as a severe case of koreaboo in the early 2000s when I went to visit a family friend who'd moved there because his dad got a job, and he took us out to a pc방, one of the internet cafes. The owner spoke english and set us up playing starcraft (since both me and my friend had been playing doom & wolf 3D at that point, we were teenagers), it was unlike anything we'd ever seen. Not that starcraft was a foreign concept but just being able to sit down, and be matched up with people, to have 0 lag because at that point we were still on dsl back home, and more, it was like an entirely new world. I really loved it.

I started studying it then, never in any official/professional capacity, but now I can hold my own in basic conversation, which is enough to work me past the "fuck off foreigner" stuff most koreans tend to lean into if they find out you're not korean. Lineage is also steeped in the culture of the country, it's been running 20 years now, and everyone's played it at some point, maplestory is equally ubiquitous, as it's much more family friendly (though lineage bypasses this with age restricted servers, if you're not on a 20+ server you just don't see blood/gibbing.)
Korea hasn't used the KSSN-to-register system since early 2012. They use mypin or cell phone verification now. Foreigners can also legally register through korean gmail equivalent 'Naver', which gives you access to a lot (but not all) games. TERA, BDO korea, maplestory korea, DFO korea/dnf, naruto online and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. You can also do cell verification. Some sites only take KR cell numbers, others will let you input any number.

japan doesn't have shit for MMOs. all their MMOs have been shut down, save for fantasy earth zero and the FF mmos.

Sounds pretty weird MMOs being that popular. I mean, WoW was a spectacle and everyone knew someone who played, but it was still limited to mostly just the nerdier folk here. I lucked out with English, it's practically a lexicon swap from my native language. Gotta be hard to get over the bump from being more or less able to get your point across to being at a conversational level when the languages are that disparate(I assume).

Well 10 years of practicing and having access to bootlegged VHS tapes and DVDs of pirated korean tv well before the boom of kpop and shit in the 2010s was great help, to a point I was able to understand words, but not complete sentences. Then when everyone suddenly started loving kpop I had access to a whole new group of people who were interested in trading culture with english speakers.

Plus in korean MMOs if you can prove your worth, people don't care where you're from. Lineage less so since it's very guild oriented. maplestory if you sit at a high end boss gate long enough, someone's gonna invite you, and without words you can make a friend, and if they do try to talk to you, if you weren't total shit for damage/dodging they'll usually break out their english that they learned in second grade and it's a great laugh on both sides.

I played Knight Online. I liked the gameplay and a lot of the classes.The cash shop really ruined it to be honest. I can't remember the exact timing when I played, around 2003 or 2004 I think.

Ultima Online was so damn good because it played almost exactly like Ultima. There were no gameplay sacrifices and there was some fucked up shit you could do, like kill a player and hack their body up for necromancy rituals.

Girls don't poop silly user.

>haven't played FFXIV in a year and a half
I'm free.

Something to do with internet and servers and shit, I don't the entire deal but I think I get the gist of it(Someone else can correct me). Far back as the 90's and forward, when internet was pretty basic you couldn't really have a massive 3D online game that ran like your 3d console platforms like Mario 64 or something due to sending too many requests to the games servers and servers wouldn't be able to handle it all. Things had to be simple, simple commands and limitations and such. What's neat about this is, devs were still able to work around this and come up with different gameplay methods that are used even today and even for single player games.

Things like auto attacking let's you focus more on your skills than just mindlessly pressing/clicking the attack key, this alone changes the gameplay entirely as loads of skills become much easier to manage and adds the need for skill customizing and various skill builds.

would you recommend xiv?

Because they're fun.

Attached: 1510502735256.jpg (1000x1024, 183K)

Sure.

Not him. Did you like wotlk?

Same reason people get addicted to work. Everything you do in an MMO rewards you with something, that feeling that you "progressed" is addictive. Every mob you kill, every ressource you gather, every quest you complete rewards with a piece of a never ending puzzle.
And id you somehow manage to complete that puzzle, it will only last until the next update.

What's wotlk?

>1999 + 20
>still unironically playing UO
I had to look to just to see if she had moved on to Shroud of the Avatar.

WoW expansion.

I like Mists of pandaria didn't care for the other ones.

I'd say it's worth looking into, then.

Thanks aon i will

MMOs have a feeling of progression other games don't provide and you have a feeling of obligation to your bros as well.

You're retarded. Just because you don't like certain games doesn't mean there aren't spastics playing them. MMOs are still the most popular genre.