24 years old today

24 years old today

say something nice

Attached: ct.jpg (616x353, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chrono.fandom.com/wiki/Ioka_Village_Hut
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>90% of Yea Forums is younger than chrono trigger

Attached: 1550160374154.jpg (337x326, 87K)

>make a good game back in the day
>its just good, no day 1 patches or any fuckery
>so good people are still enjoying it almost 1/4 century later

It's an absolute crime that Tokita went from directing Final Fantasy IV and this, two of the undisputed greatest JRPGs of all time, to being relegated to low budget DS games and now nothing

I really want you and your friends as a fighter in Smash Bros. Crono!

Attached: supersmashbrosfighterspass.png (1432x670, 749K)

>no day 1 patches
Instead, millions of people played the game with bugs.

It's no masterpiece.
90% of Yea Forums is younger than San Andreas

best JRPG of all time

CHRONO CROSS IS EQUIVALENT

ayla is best girl

Attached: 1536988406913.jpg (800x1050, 796K)

You, the Tales games, TF2, Guitar Hero 3, Megaman X/Zero/Battle Network, and this one random RPGMaker game were the most fun I've ever had in video games.

But you were the very first RPG that felt like an epic. I've never stopped chasing after that experience.

Attached: boxart.jpg (1500x1000, 287K)

>Release best game ever made
>Less than 250k in global sales years later
>S-E execs call it a "ok" selling for its time and a franchise not worth pursuing today
If normies ever needed to die for any reason...

Attached: 206-2065946.jpg (820x609, 147K)

god I want her to hold me down and fuck me with her smelly caveman pussy

overrated

>cherry pick one of the best games in a genre
>wow, why cant all games be this good??

lol what game is this. is pepe really a character in it?

amazing game. My only issues are that the battles are too slow (which is to be expected in a pre-PS2 jrpg) and that it isn't the slightest bit challenging. Another remaster where they fixed these problems would be great

Crono Nigger, a meme game by Yea Forums. It was made when Yea Forums first launched in '87, and has classic memes like Pepe, Feels Man, Goku and even the site's founder, Hiro is in it.

Best game of all time!

One of my favorite game of all time, filled to the brim with soul. They don't make JRPGs like these anymore. (ib4 boomber/nostalgia)

Chrono Trigger has better pacing than any other RPG in the history of the genre. It's structure is literally perfect and something other games have yet to learn from.

Most RPGs act like a long movie. That leads to long stretches of downtime and periods of poor pacing where very little happens for hours worth of game time. Chrono Trigger breaks it's plot threads up not like a movie but like a TV series. Each "chapter" has it's own three act structure with a beginning, complication, and resolution. Then each one ends with a cliffhanger of sorts, smoothly leading into the next chapter. Ex: "We need Dreamstone to fix the Masamune." "Uh oh, our gate key was stolen!" "Let's fight the reptites for it!" This also allows for the game to properly manage it's A and B plots so your party members' character arcs all resolve around the same time you're getting ready to fight Lavos. Most other games have you finish up character arcs waaaay too early which leaves them with very little to do other than say generic "Party Member #3" lines for the last third of the game.

Not sure I agree on that, but definately my favourite game of all time

Never played it.
Why should I?

Interesting bit of trivia, the boxart is based on a real screenshot (or mockup of one) for early press releases.

Attached: Untitled.png (742x306, 637K)

Corridors of Time. That is all.

250,000 in global sales was actually very good for an SNES game. It wasn't until the PS1 era that video game sales figures went absolutely ballistic.

Incredibly overrated. It's a very 'safe' pick, because it has no glaring flaws, but at the same time, it's a very bland game lacking in the sort of idiosyncrasies that makes something memorable.

It has a boring combat system that is a clunky hybrid of turn-based and real-time (ATB). Enemies pose no threat and deal a fraction of the damage the player character is capable of dishing out. There's almost no interesting spells or status effects, almost every ability simply deals damage. Dual/triple techs are just boring variations on the same 'do tons of damage' or 'heal tons of HP' template.

There's barely any exploration, it's a time travel game that is somehow completely on rails. Your only choice is how soon you want to end the game by teleporting to Lavos, and even that is realistically only a choice on New Game Plus.

It has incredibly shallow writing. Not a single character has a distinct voice, apart from Frog's heavy-handed Ye Olde English shtick. Everyone is a cliched archetype, the rebellious princess, the geeky scientist anime girl, the noble knight suffering from a curse, etc. We don't even know a single thing about Crono, ostensibly the main character. What does he do for a living? Does he still go to school? Where did he learn swordplay? That's how barebones the narrative is.

The multiple endings are even shallower than the overall narrative: they're either superficial variations on the same happy ending, or even worse, easter egg/joke endings. They're completely pointless and contribute nothing to the game.

Time travel is not even used in any meaningful way: instead of traveling back in time to prevent Lavos from becoming a threat, the characters travel forward in time to face him at the height of his powers and beat him up. The doom of all mankind, that destroyed a sci-fi civilization with advanced weaponry, can be punched to death by three teenagers. How does that make sense?

Attached: 1551612034579.png (446x435, 74K)

lol that's awesome. i wish Yea Forums still made things like this.

CT has sold very well overall. It's the incremental short-tem fiscal quarter (((fo da shareholdas oy vey))) sales figures that matter to modern game publishers. And It's far too old to net any meaningful short term numbers.

If a Chrono release somehow sold 4m copies on launch, we'd get another game out of it.

Attached: 322.png (869x643, 54K)

Is this actually true? I'd think it's far more likely that they made mockups of Toriyama's artwork to show what the final game would look like.

Couldn't those criticisms apply to 90% of all RPGs? Which ones DON"T have the doom of all mankind getting beaten up by a bunch of teenagers or otherwise way outclassed heroes?

All your criticisms apply to all JRPGs. Chrono Trigger is one of the best JRPGs ever made. Whether or not you think Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever made is directly tied to whether or not you like JRPGs.

>responding to pasta

I never played the game because of how generic it looked, guess it wasn't just me

>Couldn't those criticisms apply to 90% of all RPGs? Which ones DON"T have the doom of all mankind getting beaten up by a bunch of teenagers or otherwise way outclassed heroes?

Even if we concede that many RPGs are guilty of a contrived 'save the world' plot, how does that justify Chrono Trigger's one-dimensional characters, shallow combat and boring exploration? It does those things worse than most RPGs.

Attached: 1550873895109.jpg (641x530, 36K)

The logic these publishers use is dumb. You can't gauge the potential of a full scale modern sequel based on sales of a decades old re-release. That said, I don't think a Chrono sequel was ever really on the table in the first place. The people who made the first game disbanded and I think after Chrono Cross it was Kazuhiko Aoki, who was arguably the most responsible for the series, swore off the franchise. I'm not sure anyone cares to follow up with it now or even if the talent is there to do it justice. They can barely make a decent Final Fantasy anymore.

Dumb frogposter

>Most other games have you finish up character arcs waaaay too early which leaves them with very little to do other than say generic "Party Member #3" lines for the last third of the game.
Chrono Trigger does this though? Heck, different party members even have the exact same lines for certain situations.

Attached: 1549152541649.jpg (1200x1386, 118K)

I don't know which came first actually. I'm not sure what the order assets are produced in. But I doubt they'd go out of their way to make a mockup that was never intended to be in game just to match the art. That's a lot of extra work when all they'd need to do otherwise is provide a screenshot of the assets they already have at their disposal.

I’d say it’s what really got me from “enjoying games” to completely falling in love with games

Wait, was the steam one also the DS version? I know the DS had a monster fight mode and a new ending.

But with the exception of Ayla, all of Chrono's party members get closure to their character arcs in the game's third act when that kind of thing should happen. In a ton of other RPGs there's an imbalance where closure happens all over the place and at seemingly random times. Chrono is one of the few games that keeps the A, B and C plots all in balance with each other. The only other game I know that does it that well is Mass Effect 2.

The Steam version is a port of the Android version, which has the extra DS content.

Okay, thanks user!

I don't even want a new game. Toei is on a roll with Dragonball. I want to see a Chrono Trigger anime. They can use it as a marketing vector to rerelease the game on modern console shops.

>But with the exception of Ayla, all of Chrono's party members get closure to their character arcs in the game's third act when that kind of thing should happen. In a ton of other RPGs there's an imbalance where closure happens all over the place and at seemingly random times. Chrono is one of the few games that keeps the A, B and C plots all in balance with each other. The only other game I know that does it that well is Mass Effect 2.

>linear games with shallow stories have straightforward conclusions
Is this really worthy of praise? I'd rather have a game with a non-linear story where subplots can be completed at different story.. Games shouldn't be emulating cinema anyway (in fact, doing so is one of CT's major weaknesses).

What's the best version of the game?

*where subplots can be completed at different points in the story.

Chrono Cross was better

Considering how few games get it right, yes it is. Most RPGs have hours worth of literal busy work to pad the game to 60 hours. Chrono Trigger can be finished in 15 hours flat with perfect game/story balance and respects the players time by not hiding the best equipment in the game behind strategy guide fodder like "find this rare encounter in this random, unremarkable forest you walked through half the game ago and get a rare drop that can be refined into a different item that can then be customized into the weapon that you now have no use for since you beat everything already."

>"find this rare encounter in this random, unremarkable forest you walked through half the game ago and get a rare drop that can be refined into a different item that can then be customized into the weapon that you now have no use for since you beat everything already."

Oh, you mean like this?

chrono.fandom.com/wiki/Ioka_Village_Hut

The Ioka Village Hut is a location in Chrono Trigger where players can trade goods for equipment in Prehistory. The goods that can be traded are Fang, Petal, Horn, and Feathers. These items can be acquired from any enemy in Prehistory, but mostly from creatures that dwell in the Hunting Grounds. By offering the trader three of any of these two items, special weapons and armor can be acquired.

Give three of... ...and three of... ...gives you...
Petal Fang Ruby Gun
Petal Horn Shaman's Bow
Petal Feather Stone Arm
Fang Horn Mammoth Tusk
Fang Feather Ruby Vest
Horn Feather Stone Helm
Given that there are five party members - Crono, Marle, Lucca, Robo, and Ayla - at this point in the game, and Ayla joins already wearing a Ruby Vest and Stone Helm, the following items are required to fully-outfit all members of your team:

9x Petal
18x Fang
18x Horn
27x Feather
After returning to Prehistory following the defeat of Magus, the trader will have upgraded the weapons he has to offer.

Give three of... ...and three of... ...gives you...
Petal Fang Dreamstone Gun
Petal Horn Dreamstone Bow
Petal Feather Magma Hand
Fang

Horn Primeval Blade
After reviving Crono, you can trade for Ruby Armor which costs 10 of each.

First off, those are not the "best equipment in the game" and second, that's a literal shop. You just pay with a different currency you get in a very nearby location. Comparing that to the nonsense in, say, a Star Ocean game where you can waste items and wind up with literal junk from your customizing is asinine.

>Time travel is not even used in any meaningful way: instead of traveling back in time to prevent Lavos from becoming a threat
How the fuck do you stop something in the core of the earth?

>wanting X garbage
get out

Thanks for proving you didn’t play the game if you think those mid point items are any good

Give me 1 solid complaint about Xenoblade Chronicles X

Is the DS port of this game any good?

I'm sorry a unnecessary sequel ruined your legacy

Yes

People are still playing Secret of Mana, and it was mediocre at best. It was saved by its look and sound. I mean the shear amount of games Square released during the SNES and PS1 era contrasts starkly to their current trend. It is a legitimate question as to what happened.

What bugs?

Yep. They changed the color palette, which I'm not a fan off. But other than that, it's fine. If you never played the game before, then just get the SNES version.(Don't use ZSNES emulator, it has inaccurate sound) But if you're already familiar with the game, then sure, give the DS version a spin.

Still one of my favorite RPG's. Was it also the first game to feature multiple endings and minor branching paths? I never bothered to look into that.

Attached: DxSHlBLUYAEpAC-.png (1118x1200, 848K)

The stuff it adds is terrible, and the translation is a lot drier. Being handheld is really the only thing it has going for it.