I hadn't heard about the problems with OG xbox capacitors before seeing it mentioned in a thread yesterday...

I hadn't heard about the problems with OG xbox capacitors before seeing it mentioned in a thread yesterday. went to go see if mine would still boot up and it did but only the disc eject button powers it up and the power button doesn't work at all. if i want to turn it off i have to pull the power cord out. so i open it up and sure enough there is some leakage around the capacitor. gently worked it off the board and cleaned the area with vinegar. put everything back together but the power button problem persists. anyone have experience with this?

Attached: 8292987_orig.jpg (640x478, 158K)

Did you clean the power button?

no, there was no leak near it

>cleaned the area with vinegar
what the fuck nigga?

I'm taking you soldered the original capacitors back on, so you don't need new capacitors. Have you tried checking the circuit for inefficiency of current?

Maybe the damage is done. This is how my XBox looked like before cleaning.

Attached: DSC03297.jpg (1920x1440, 864K)

every tutorial i saw on this said white vinegar would do the trick

i just removed the capacitor that was identified as leaking.
>Have you tried checking the circuit for inefficiency of current?
i'm pretty techtarded, so no. i'm mostly just trying to figured out if the power button problems means i was too late in cleaning up the acid or if it's an unrelated problem

how did your xbox operate after cleaning that? i don't think mine looked that bad. i had to put a direct light source on it even to be able to spot the problem area

Looks like you need to replace the capacitor on the bottom left. If that is damaged the whole circuit won't work properly. Hence the power button issue.

that's not a picture of my board it's just the same version as mine. the two overlapping white circles next to the largest one in that cluster of four is where the leaking capacitor used to be

This is the after pic, I also used vinegar to clean it. The Xbox works flawlessly. Maybe you can try bypassing the power button.

Attached: DSC03302.jpg (1920x1440, 1.01M)

that gives me hope. i think i'm gonna open it up again and swab the area with isopropyl alcohol

>if i want to turn it off i have to pull the power cord out
don't do this unless you want your xbox to burn your house down user

turn off at wall instead

Is there anything wrong with the power button?

besides not doing what it's supposed to, not that i can tell

Well, you have a defective capacitor, get a new one.

>power button remains unchecked

Clean it, check its connections

the leaking capacitor damaged the line trace to the power, i had the same problem (well, the power to the system wouldn't go off).

The alcohol or vinegar supposed to solve that

I have a 1.6 Xbox. Not necessarily the best but at least I don't have to worry about the capacitor

i might attempt a trace repair tomorrow since the isoprophyl i just tried did nothing.

>I have a 1.6 Xbox.
heard those didn't have any of the capacitor problems as the older models. anyone know if you can switch out hard drives between xboxes?

Bought 2 xboxes for some reason. Other was 1.6 and the second time I turned it on it just died.

if the problem has to do with the power, check the trace lines running along the outer edges of the motherboard on the bottom with a magnifier .

Attached: 3379762471447893577-1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 306K)

Xbox hard drives are locked. There's a tool you can run on a hacked xbox to swap them but you can't just replace them willy nilly.

i'm thinking this is probably the problem since the leaking capacitor was near that edge and there was definitely acid leaking over it

bummer. thanks for the info

there was a small break in the trace line which caused the xbox to be unable to be powered off using the power button. i just used a small bit of copper wire from speaker wire to solder across the gap.

here's a pic of the crappy fix

Attached: P1010135b.jpg (4592x3448, 1.71M)

Attached: acceptable.jpg (710x888, 177K)

hey if it works it works

Just a random comment but I've noticed that some people use what they've and try and don't care if it doesn't look professional. Then there those who have all the tools and like to get fancy. Both are fine.
But then there are those who just full retard everything and then wonder why nothing works.

Its not worth the effort of opening up old hardware is pointless to keep now that we have emulation boards with programmable cores

The only physical hardware worth keeping is a ps3/4/one and that's just for bluray not the actual games