Would you say Darkest Dungeon is a well designed gamed?

Would you say Darkest Dungeon is a well designed gamed?

Attached: 8e0fead3c6a2eeb7098c6a3c7672a51a8b386a7929c1fe087a4621d095d6cd6b_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.j (639x361, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RjqwTiIxwmg
nexusmods.com/darkestdungeon/mods/788
youtube.com/watch?v=JlGMsJgyORk
nexusmods.com/darkestdungeon/mods/786
darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Trinkets#Color_of_Madness_Trinkets
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157520643
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

conceptualized maybe
designed after the fact, FUCK no
most of what it does well is borrowed from other strategy and rpg games, the game balance is/was horrendously predatory and the dlcs are borderline pay to win
but the aesthetic is good enough to carry it where it suffers

Fuck no.
I love the game but it's the epitome of "muh totes difficult roguelike".
It's not a roguelike but decided to take some of the harder aspects of actual roguelikes without the easy mechanics to balance it.

Actual roguelikes work like this: you don't know much, you play, explore, find new information, die, play some more with better knowledge and carry on that way until you beat it.

DD just took the first part "you know fuck all" and decided not to even give you a proper manual - the tutorial is fucking pathetic. The "balance" patches just are designed to make it harder because the bitch devs cried over "muh infinite wave mode can be cheesed cause we're retarded and can't make it difficult" and just changed it so it's harder.

If you could speed up animations then it would be a good game if you don't mind shit mechanics.

Still have about 300 hours in it tho

>but the aesthetic is good enough to carry it where it suffers
u mean like bloodborne?

Sure. They made radiant mode specifically for everyone who complained so I really don't have much of anything to criticize.

Arguable.

Attached: 1982692164.png (2556x1844, 2.02M)

Too much RNG, not enough tools to mitigate said RNG.
Compare this to FTL where I can reach the boss 80% of the time on each playthrough even on hard.

Fuck no. It's extremely simplistic, repetitive and grindy. The game design is dogshit, the art and the audio are what elevate this mobile phone game tier trash.

Lots of trial and error gameplay but it was still really fun

Attached: DankestDungeon.gif (720x540, 2.71M)

No one cares about your meme game

In theory yes. The whole gimmick of the game is stress and rewards and gives you both which makes a fun game

Endless harvest really shows the problems with the game

the crimsom course its not that good of an idea.
can be discarded for a werewolf mechanic in the next game?

How? After they patch the infection rate is not that bad

Objectively, it was a very well designed game.

It took one of the oldest and most played out genres, turn based party dungeon crawler RPG, and breathed new life into with fresh ideas. There are literally over 100 games in that genre, but Darkest Dungeon feels very different.

I'd even say that anyone that doesn't agree it's well designed is a brainlet.

is too much hassle to cure in the early game

RNG can be perfectly mitigated, the only issue is going in blind sucks and you can always expect to lose people if you don't google stuff, but the game isnt' too punishing for losing characters.

The real issue is how grindy it is midgame

Agreed, the design was fine. The lack of content is it's real downfall

the souls games do a lot right in terms of gameplay and design
theyre built on a very solid design philosophy and mechanics base thats probably mostly derived from fighting games, and the kind of hard-punishing learning curve this creates is pretty well-supported by a healing and checkpoint system that encourages you to take risks and try to learn things naturally without something that undermines the game mechanically like save-scumming

darkest dungeon kind of does the opposite, mistakes are both extremely punishing and the game requires them of you in order to learn whats necessary to play the game successfully, especially bosses whose mechanics are completely obfuscated until you actually try to fight them which requires clearing most of a dungeon up to that point which can and does encourage you to build a team not well-suited for what the fight asks of you
additionally since dd is a strategy game theres not much the games asks of you other than correct decision-making and bits of luck while souls requires more manual execution on your part where the strategy is less important the better you are at the game

theyre both pretty cool lookin though

That is a genuine problem. The first mission is a beginners trap because the whole dlc is balanced arround late game

>1 mill, hire the voice actor as voice slave afterwards

That's my issue, people were memeing about how Dark Soul is hard but they probably never saw elaborated level design before it. Only Bed of Chaos was hard and it was more a case of bad boss design.
DD however? The game is literally forcing you to read about it before starting to play, I don't want to do that, I should be able to go in blind.

I find myself always bringing a jester or crusader and a vestal or musketeer. A party without one of these combinations doesn't fare well. The amount of crits the game gets on you is enough to stress at least one member of your party, and your own crits heal 3 stress. It's not very balanced. I wish characters like highwayman and graverobber could at least heal/stress heal themselves.

Conceptually this was a great game, taking inspiration from plenty of great games into one, but is it fun? No, RNG being the most determining factor in victory by late game without heavy grinding is not good fun.
t. guy who beat last remnant without an internet guide

You can go in blind and I'd say that's the recommended experience. People just never want to be punished even when you can learn some things very quickly without much consequence in beginner dungeons (like never touch books, take bandages into the Cove, etc.)

Vestal is really the only class that feels necessary, every other class is viable with the right composition and stress healing isn't necessary at all if you have enough DPS. You can even get away with no vestal if every class has some secondary heals or you play like a real man and bring an Occultist

I beat it without a guide just this past weekend. it took a shitton of time due to losing parties to VVulf and DD1 but after that it really wasn't too bad and the RNG was very manageable.

I don't recommend anyone play Darkest Dungeon without either a guide/wiki or asking questions to more experienced players.

The biggest issue with DD is that it just took the hardest thing about actual roguelikes: little knowledge and gives no way to understand it without wasting time which just increases the grind.

You should haven't to expect to lose quests because you weren't "prepared" - you weren't "prepared" because you have no fucking idea what you're getting into at times which means usually going up against a boss or a specific quest involved "vestal/plague doctor/jester/melee" to cover all basses: healing, stress, stunning, bleed, blight, shuffle.

That's the biggest problem is that the game generally does have a "perfect" party for each scenario outside of the final boss which I won't mention for spoiler reasons

RNG in combat isn't an issue - it's probably the most controllable part of the game, actually. It's the RNG outside of combat that fucks you over: not getting the heroes you need, not getting thr good quirks, not getting good trinkets, getting bad RNG with layouts thus more stress, etc

Vestal is really just a safety net if you're not confident you can handle RNG assfucking you at the worst time.

Attached: Occultist.png (1280x720, 831K)

Attached: 1515178898086.jpg (645x729, 46K)

>You should haven't to expect to lose quests because you weren't "prepared" - you weren't "prepared" because you have no fucking idea what you're getting into at times
So then you go in, get your shit wrecked, and now you know for next time.

I got very tired of Color of Madness because if you dont have a Vestal/Jester you are fuck after the Sleeper. Plus the lack of of a bandage buffing building really sucks

I'd say trinket rng is probably the biggest along with begin fucked if you don't upgrade the stagecoach first. Thankfully you can't ever lose in this game, if you fuck up it just slows down the game.

Not really. I think the idea/basics are good, but it feels less like the game is challenging you and more like it's trying to cheat.

it is a well-designed game in its core that could be vastly improved by literally just tweaking numbers to reduce the grind, as many mods do

Attached: 1550143866156.png (248x105, 23K)

>wow this game is so hard
>download double inventory space mod
>wtf this game is so easy

bad design

No
>Absurd levels of grind punishes you for taking ANY risks
>Only a few viable party setups
>Difficulty comes from lack of knowledge instead of skill
>RNG can just fuck you over sometimes

cringe wojakposter

>tfw the highest crit heal I rver got was 97
Mad arab of bomb heals is great

Which leads back to the argument I'm making: it's just an attempt at increasing the grind so the devs can say it's "hard" and "a roguelike"

Yeah that's definitely something I feel should have been in the base game: automatically giving you 4 heroes per week at the start. If you don't upgrade to 4 recruits asap, you're fucked.

Doubly fucked early on if your vestal/PD have bad skills since you can't unlock them until after the second quest which is literally the epitome of "rng = difficult"

Fuck no. It's atmospheric and it's got a top tier narrator.The gameplay is dogshit though and you're expect to complete the near-same loop three times.

It's not even hard, it's just tedious to constantly remove debuffs from your best dudes and then farm more money and trinkets with B and C teams (or suicide squads)

Just a small decrease in upgrade costs would be enough. And more enemies the worst part was how rehashed all the bosses were.
I get that the first fight is supposed to teach you mechanics before they ramp up the difficulty but it still felt lazy

You cant know for certain, because of random encounters and mazes. The game, by design, limits your ability to prepare for these cases so your success over many runs (and catastrophes) is entirely dependent on luck. This is not a problem in Rogue, but for a rogue-lite with supposed improvements in subsequent playthroughs, this is designed to frustrate the player to resign to hopelessness (by design).

see

Attached: gud.jpg (1920x1080, 498K)

actually i agree about the bosses, as far as i remember they dont really change behaviour at all (unlike most normal enemies) their numbers just go up

see

Attached: 1537428562629.jpg (630x478, 49K)

Okay brainlet, tell us why this gameplay is so great.

What's with anons calling this game RNG based when it's more based around Trial and Error?

youtu.be/RjqwTiIxwmg

"i'm smart because I repeat the same boring tasks over and over to grind a single player game, i'm so hardcore lol"

ok brainlet

see

There's a strong element of RNG outside of the battles, user.
what quirks you get, what trinkets you get, if you'll be forced to backtrack and get more stress, what heroes you get, what quests you get, meaning what you can/cannot upgrade.

Nigger

Because of things like quirks and hunger checks. On higher difficulty on low light you WILL get raped by crits sooner or later.

Devs fucked it by constantly shitting on any viable strategy that players came up with for the whole "SO HARD" meme that they kept pushing. Now that they've basically stopped updating the game you're left being forced to run very specific parties if you want viable ways to beat the game on the harder settings.

>kill dodge
>buff crits

I really hate this change

If you have the DLCs you can get rid of Hunger checks completely and/or get free food sometimes
For the negative quirks you can defiantly manage them by going to the cove and finding the Coral, you also can also go there for that shield curio and get a positive one but the game is just about finding teams that work well together under stressful moments. Of course you want Holy characters in the Ruins but you don't want them in the Warren or Wield.

>Finish perfect run in Warrens
>COVE PHOBE quirk appears

>Eat until full
>Take 2 steps
>Hunger check

>Read Book
>Get Syphilis

But that relies on RNG to get those curios

What I'm saying is that RNG is definitely there just to make the game longer to say "it's hard".
It's like playing Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup and playing a MuBe - no magic and berserk doesn't work since you're undead. It's just tedious

I LOVE THE ABOMINATION

Attached: abomination.sprite.attack_chain.png (879x642, 228K)

Anyone has a list of all the lewd mods?
I lost track of them since I stopped playing a long time ago.

anyone got the other private patreon skins?

>it's not a 2 hour walking simulator press x to win so it's tedious

Attached: soymales.jpg (344x380, 44K)

you're right, it's a tedious 20 hours walking simulator

At some point its just tiresome to have every rng factor stacked againat you

Game needs more variety m8, even champion dungeons become a chore after your first few trips into each one

There's still tons of viable parties though.

>>Read Book
You fucked up my negro

Pay to win dlcs? The fuck game you playing? Crimson court made the base game way harder, and none of the bonus dlc character sand bitch lady sucks never used her.

Flagellant is OP as fuck

Here's this one at least
nexusmods.com/darkestdungeon/mods/788

So what are your hopes and dreams now that Darkest Dungeon 2 : The Howling End is confirmed?youtube.com/watch?v=JlGMsJgyORk

Attached: 1545725969917.gif (500x500, 399K)

Attached: UYRT3.jpg (620x386, 114K)

borderline
mostly because the shieldbreaker is undeniably top 1 damage dealer and the dlc trinkets are very powercreep-y

no, it get boring fast and it feels like you are always underlevel

An attempt was not made

maybe they can finally fix their fucking game so I don't need to restart it when I change settings

Flagellant got nerfed hard. His heals only work below 40% HP now and only recover 33% or so.

I only heard about this game from that guy who broke his keyboard in half after dying

>the dlc trinkets are very powercreep-y
Almost all the CC and CoM trinkets suck.

Shieldbreaker is on equal terms with Hellion as far as frontliners, Shieldbreakers strength is her wide range damage, but more importantly her ability to hit the 3rd rank. Hellion can hit 4th rank

When can I find a folder with just the ShindoL skins? I'm not interested in the game.

Impale is so fucking good

When should I activate CC? I heard it's really annoying so I deactivated it at the start.

Thanks, better than nothing I guess.

I just bought the fucking boxed version for 30bucks when it is on sale for 6 bucks on PSN.

Redpill me on that game.

just go to the Steam workshop, it's one of the most downloaded mods

Good call. Id enable it in the midgame when you consider everything sort of under control. That way you add something into the mix to shake things up

Activate it once you get to Vet dungeons

Gameplay-wise, it's just a baby's first dungeon crawler. Most damningly, they took complex labyrintine first-person environments and dumbed them down into easy to parse side-scroller maps.

Idea and presentation are extremely good. Execution on gameplay is lacking. Game is extremely grindy and tedious in the long run.

>darkest 2
>Those 3 Scorpion bosses with no option to camp
I've lost like 4 champion parties to this what the fuck. Grinding noobs to a high rank once you hit endgame really shows how repetitive the game is

Attached: 1551795853498.jpg (575x1024, 46K)

It's well designed in that it gives you exactly the atmosphere it tries to bring forth. The light mechanic, hunger, camping, risk-taking, etc, is all top-notch, even if it always feels to be stacked against the player at times.
The problem, however, is that this simply leads into an eternal grind for the perfect rewards for the perfect characters. There will come a point where you can absolutely handle dungeons with vero low chances of fucking up, and still have to keep going back and forth doing the same tasks again and again because you're not getting what you need for the last challenges, which leads to frustration over repetitiveness or taking too much of a risk, which only leads to further grind.
Basically, it works as intended as long as you don't know what you're doing and have no real objective in mind beyond not dying.

>with no option to camp
m8? You're given at least two things of firewood.

It’s literally the hardest mission in the game barring particularly unlucky long champ warrens dungeons
Hang in there

>no option to camp
You get two, what are you on about?
Don't tell me you forgot the talsimans as well.

>everything is random

No.

I forgot you got the firewood because I haven't touched the game in a while but it's still a really rough mission.

Eh, it's okay. There are objectively better games like pic related.

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 44K)

Only started playing this. Liking it so far. I really dig the narrator and music. I did pick the easy difficulty. Did I fuck up?

this, fuck this game.

nexusmods.com/darkestdungeon/mods/786

Attached: hellion.sprite.attack_leap.png (932x599, 291K)

Easy only really affects the early/midgame and makes it less painfully if you lose your A-team

Attached: superior dragon genes.jpg (862x806, 122K)

>card based
Fuck no.

It's best to start out on Easy mode imo

I think the game fails in the reward department, most trinkets are boring and the rest of the progression is just numbers getting bigger

But I haven't played the expansions, maybe they added less boring loot

My favorite indie in a while. I just love the concept of it, it's so goddamn tense when you're barely managing in a dungeon. I usually don't like turn based games with meme mechanics but DD is really cool.

If DD2 was literally the same gameplay wise as 1 but with a new concept and areas would you buy it?

Thanks, but it's the same author as

Radiant makes it a lot quicker and a good choice if you just wish to experience the game

A lot more grinding on other difficulties in case you might lose your main team or an important member of it without having a backup

darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Trinkets#Color_of_Madness_Trinkets
please look at the speartip, dirge, distillation, huskfang, gunpowder, thirsting blade, etc etc
i dont know if youre just misremembering or plain ignorant or what but i have no fucking idea what the bar for "good" must be if these are what you consider "shit", these are for the most part the best trinkets in the game for their respective characters bar none and the only one thats really shit is the occultists
i could do the same thing for the courtyard ones, granted theyve been nerfed a fair bit since they were added

shes been buffed to the fucking ceiling for almost a year, pic related
youll notice that this attack does literally everything: damage, crits, prot bypass, can hit all 4 positions, and is a free forward 1 on top of everything in exchange for nothing but the worlds smallest damage penalty, this is not a coincidence
and this is debatably not even her best attack

hellions still like top 3 though, crit buff is so good it hurts my dick

Attached: sb.png (302x319, 87K)

>Fuck no.
Functionally it plays pretty much like a turn-based RPG, and it has more depth than any menu-based turn-based RPG I can recall.

Attached: 1551612034579.png (446x435, 74K)

*Is
How does I words

how about this?
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157520643

Attached: download.jpg (637x358, 49K)

i would like more customization for the characters, would open up a lot of moments for the mods to shine

No.
Beat the game twice already, if nothing changed other than new areas then why even bother?
Worst case of vertical progression I've seen in years, literally 0 customization and "Burst boss b4 it kills u" strats makes for a meh game.

I'm sitting here trying to level up to level 6 for the darkest dungeon, and it feels so fucking bad when I finally hit JUST level 3 and end up dying anyways.

There's nothing in this game that requires a manual or a tutorial you two-digit IQ retard.

Attached: 1517539110763.gif (640x357, 3.04M)

Nice, I didn't know those were available on steam, I thought people would just scream autistically and report the anything lewd.

Nah, pretty much the same shit.
Trinkets do get better, but the game is still flat out bigger numbers

In what way can you at all compare these two

With the anouncement of DD2, it's pretty safe to say that there isn't more content for DD coming right? Been waiting for the complete experience to be out before diving in.

Devs already stated long ago that CoM was the last content they were making for DD.

the modding community is not done yet with DD, but the devs are done with it, so yes, time to jump in i guess

I found pretty good success with a dodge tanking HM as my non-talisman hero

We already know the metagame will be different. The devs stated it will be a "journey" instead of cleaning up a backyard.

>babbies ITT won't recognize the difference between RNG and dicerolls
just because you say its a roguelike, don't make it so

Who are you talking to? Not a single perosn in this thread called DD a roguelike.

and now can only be used once per battle

+Great atmosphere, great art, Wayne June
-Gameplay gets tedious, grindy

overall yeah, but they kept making bad "balance" decisions like they thought their game was an mmo

Picked up the game recently, having a good time with it so far. Have no idea what to do with the more obscure characters like Antiquarian and Abomination.

Attached: Come Unto Your Maker Reactions.png (939x1052, 242K)

auntie is literally just for making money, and untransformed abom is a pretty good stun/blight 2-3, and strong physical 1

have you tried the abom
hes not as complicated as youd think, transforming is free and doesnt require a turn, you can attack after doing it
hes basically just a character with 6 skills instead of 4, granted you can lock yourself out of half of them if you transform at the wrong times

antiquarians basically worthless though, theres no secret, unless youre playing stygian/bloodmoon theres no reason to ever use her
the only thing she does is help you farm gold slightly faster which is very important when you play with a time limit, but completely irrelevant on the normal difficulty

>party wipes
>the heroes you get to replace them are level 0 with no items
>can't make it as far as your level 3 heroes that just died
>grind 3 more dungeons while praying your existing heroes dont die, upgrade your wagon when they do die, and then repeat the whole process over and over again
>retrying a boss fight takes HOURS of grind
>and then they all die again

Nope. This game is pure cancer. If you could at least recruit specific classes it would be fine, but getting nothing but Jesters and Hellions all the goddamn time makes me buttmad.

hmm

Favourite champion?
For me it's houndmaster

No, because there isn't any real variety in the core gameplay so it becomes repetitive and tedious after a few hours while the game demands hours of grinding to make any progress. This is only compounded by issues like most of the bosses you need to beat to unlock the story being actual, literal rehashes of the exact same fight three times over.

The presentation and atmosphere is genuinely outstanding though, easily some of the best I've ever seen in a video game and it's what keeps me locked in a cycle of coming back to the game then dropping it for a few months after getting frustrated with the lacklustre gameplay.

Attached: 1525438826043.png (771x807, 1M)

>eyes

Attached: shiggyweald.png (563x449, 313K)