That one guy who tries older games by playing remakes, engine ports or using "beautification mods"

>that one guy who tries older games by playing remakes, engine ports or using "beautification mods"

Attached: maxresdefault (56).jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Get with the times, grandpa.

>he doesn't play unity daggerfall

I use minor tweaks for my oblivion
it doesn't drastically change the overall look of the game but it improves and fixes a few graphical issues with faces and terrain.

>replaying the same game 100 times and not once thinking of giving those mods a try
youre dumb and uninteresting so you aren't the target audience, or the target of any attention for that matter

On twitch, I stumbled into someone playing Majora's Mask for the first time, with "HD" textures. Needless to say, they looked like complete ass.

OP said "tries", with implies it's the person's first time playing the game.

My first experience with resi 2 was DSP getting his ass handed to him in tihydp
My first time actually playing it was REmake 2.
How should I kill myself?

there's 0 reason to play Metroid 2 instead of AM2R
there's 0 reason to play Metroid 1 instead of Zero Mission

>he plays something that is lacking major features
I'm all for improving classical games with engine ports, but why play them when they aren't finished and still get a worse experience than the original?

I can't speak to Metroid 2. But Metroid 1 is an experience all it's own. Zero Mission doesn't even feel like the same game. You should play Metroid 1 for that unique experience.

There's no reason to try VtM:B without at least basic Unofficial Patch, though. Plus might be straying too much from the original nowadays but about 10 years ago the Plus version was also perfectly fine for a first run.

Metroid 2 is simmilar to Metroid 1 in which they're unique experiences that aren't worth the effort

Plus is better for replays to get some new content, but yes, there's no reason to play VTMB without Wesp's sorcery. Funny thing, he's fixed the game over 10 years ago and the madman is still releasing patches.

>review video of old game
>they're using 'improved' graphics mods

Attached: 16548.jpg (800x600, 129K)

Isn't it pretty much impossible to complete without the patch due to all the crashes, and literally if you play as a Nosferatu?

Nothing wrong with mods or fan patches that fix legitimately broken features on a first playthrough.

They are worth the effort, because it's informs the player what the Metroid experience was envisioned to be, before the features were altered in later entries.
Someone actually interested in game design might find it fascinating. I think it's interesting how floaty the original Metroid was. But when you play Zero Mission, Samus drops like a rock. I wonder what a true remake to Metroid 1 would be like, if it had flaty physics. What gameplay could be developed from that?

>Funny thing, he's fixed the game over 10 years ago and the madman is still releasing patches.
I still update small personal use mods for games I replay every year or two.

Vouching for this, metroid 1 on NES is an experience in tension, enemies hit like a truck sometimes, the world's alien as fuck and when you die you get ripped apart and have to respawn back at the start with like 30 energy and thats it.
I don't remember if Zero Mission has save stations and refill stations, but I do remember I liked it as well as the original, even though it felt different. It doesn't feel as intimidating but more action-explorative.

Sometimes sourceports or "beautification" mods fall into this category. I wouldn't really care if someone started their DOOM experience with Chocolate, for example.

Is there any reason not to use an engine port for Doom nowadays?

Attached: 1552253470252.jpg (639x720, 102K)

That's fair but Doom isn't a broken game like VTMB.

why ruin system shock 2 like that

>that one guy who plays old games stretched to fit his 4k monitor
>that one guy who doesn't stretch old games to fit his monitor and claims looking at a post stamp sized image is more true to the original

Every fucking Morrowind review from bigger youtube channels.

Attached: 44149-14-1457151266.jpg (670x376, 50K)

>mfw playing old games on my 16:10 monitor
>XCom and Doom's 320x200 fitting the screen perfectly

Attached: 1530579139767.png (580x750, 609K)

I agree that said experience is unique and should be easy to access so people can experiment it, and they could have gone different routes with the development, but Metroid 1 as it is has way too repetitive music, sprites, etc, it's too limited, and moving around takes too long, and when you combine all that, not having a map makes it a huge chore, unlike, say, Dark Souls, which even without a map you can easily make a mental map because of how unique each environment is.

In my opinion, most NES classics are still mighty fine to be played to this day, like SMB1/3, Castlevania, but games like Zelda 1/2 and Metroid 1 suffers a lot from its limitations, and nowadays that you don't have to settle for that 1 cartridge you rented for the weekend, it's hard to justify playing it over other games. Metroid 2 suffers from those issues 10 fold, thanks to the micro screen space, no fucking colors, enemies becoming invincible when they're off screen... I went through it, but god damn I don't recommend it.

All obsidian games are exempt since they're blatantly unfinished without mods and fixes.

>that guy who play brutal doom

Attached: 1492802243319.jpg (436x399, 31K)

Yes, you pointed out how VtM:B is a bad fit and I thought of a better example.
BGT also provides an overall better experience for playing the BG1 part, to continue the exercise.

Currently playing through SM Galaxy and Pikmin on dolphin in 4k and holy fuck do they look good.

Not unless you are doing it for some very specific reasons like nostalgia or "historical reenactment".

blame the tv retards for memeing retarded tv resolutions like HD to computers.

>tfw you emulate older games at 5x speed
Makes most JRPGs such a joy to revisit

That's right, Jay!

Attached: stoklasa.webm (1280x720, 495K)

Even then you could just play Chocolate Doom which does a good enough job of playing like the DOS version

Mike got bills to pay.

Attached: That's right Jay.png (400x463, 273K)

>fuck improvement

Attached: Chernobyl Remastered.jpg (960x483, 52K)

Objectively the superior way to play Sonic CD

Attached: ingame_16x9.jpg (1067x600, 451K)

Mike "The Nigger Grave Digger" Stoklasa
Mike "the Milwaukee Mulatto Murderer" Stoklasa
Mike "The White Plague" Stoklasa
Mike "Kike Killer" Stoklasa
Mike "Pulling the Trigger on Every Nigger" Stoklasa
Mike "The Clip-Tips to Crypts Kid" Stoklasa
Mike "Going Rambo on Sambo" Stoklasa
Mike "Impugn the Coon" Stoklasa
Mike "Minority Deport" Stoklasa
Mike "The Spook Nuke" Stoklasa
Mike "Peekaboo, Jiggaboo!" Stoklasa

Zelda 1 and 2 still hold up.
These games have quirks, sure. But come on. Zelda 1 is the most open Zelda game in the entire series. It demonstrates what the Zelda structure should be like, more than any other. As the series advanced, they started implementing more tutorials, and more roadblocks, in order to funnel the player into the path they want them to go. So in a way, they improved mechanically and graphically, but their desire to handhold, killed a core feeling of the series. Skyward Sword is the ultimate culmination of this degradation.

And then they went back to the originals, and studied those games. Trying to figure out what made them great. They re-learned that people don't want to have their hand held so tightly. So they opened up the world again. And they re-learned that high risk battles can still be rewarding. So they made enemies hit like a truck again. Put together, you get Breath of the Wild.

These aspects one lost, now restored, enhance the experience of current game. And as someone new to the series, you still have the opportunity to go back to these old game, and juice them for these great experiences, before moving on to the latter entries.

Same with Metroid. The Jump from Metroid 1 to Metroid 3 is so drastic. As someone who is old enough to have played Metroid 1 on the NES first, and then discover Metroid 3 years later, I can attest that both experiences were worth it. even though I was too young to beat the first Metroid. I still liked it. And then jumping to Metroid 3 was just mindblowing.

>improvement

Attached: 2013-06-19_00072.jpg (1920x1080, 465K)

Every fucking guide for Oblivion, holy shit do they butcher the original art syle

>Caring how other people play their video games
Boy you sure do focus on the real issues huh

Attached: 1447866110791.png (224x205, 55K)

You say that as if Oblivion's art style isn't unfathomably garbage and that it isn't so fucking bad there is literally no way to go but up, even with the most awful plastic, Second Life ass looking anime shit.

>high definitions

Attached: watertemple.jpg (3200x2750, 989K)

>the Retro engine versions of Sonic 1 and 2 are stuck on mobile platforms
>Sega turned down Taxman and Stealth's pitch for a Retro engine-powered re-release of Sonic 3K
I hope one day Sega hires Evening Star to develop a remake of Sonic Jam.

Attached: sadash.png (401x318, 304K)

Fuck off Bevilex, your guide is shit and your game looks like vaseline smeared ass so don't talk about "awful plastic" and "anime shit" while shitting on Oblivions artstyle in the same sentence
Now go install some shitty mods on some russian forum

Attached: This is your average Bevilex user.jpg (1920x1080, 190K)

>These games have quirks, sure. But come on. Zelda 1 is the most open Zelda game in the entire series. It demonstrates what the Zelda structure should be like, more than any other. As the series advanced, they started implementing more tutorials, and more roadblocks, in order to funnel the player into the path they want them to go.
I agree that they shouldn't have funneled the fuck out of the series, but these games need some convenience, at least a fucking map, and the more open the more it needs it. I mean, either you have it in your game, or you end up making one with a paper or on Excel, or you risk taking some wrong turns in a game that already takes too long to move about and is too dangerous too.

>So in a way, they improved mechanically and graphically, but their desire to handhold, killed a core feeling of the series. Skyward Sword is the ultimate culmination of this degradation.
Agreed, SS is a fucking abomination, as streamlined as possible, as sterile too.

All that said, Zelda 2 is a fucking mess. Like 3 different songs, combat is awkward as fuck (even though buried under it is a cool system that needs a ton of polish), the difficulty spikes are all over the fucking place (jesus christ timing attacks on those axe lizards properly, and dealing with the boomerang fags), taking the game on and advancing without taking damage is too much. At least it does a good job at varying scenery and layouts, but I believe it's because of the map/locations system they implemented. And random encounters interacting with environments, really interesting and promotes walking on roads.

One can only hope they go somewhat BotW-ish with the new Metroid Prime, but not too much (BotW got old really quickly after ~20 hours, everything started feeling generic and so I stopped exploring and went after the 4 constructs and Ganon). I really fucking want a game that is to BotW what MM was to OoT

video game communities lose a good bit of cohesion if everyone is playing a separate iteration of the game. it isn't just a matter of preference.

Engine reimplementations are good and necessary for preserving old games

Attached: openmw.webm (1720x720, 2.89M)

>flora that has no place on Vvardenfell
Every time.

this shit is so dumb considering how well system shock 2 has sged. this is coming from someone who played it for the first time less than a year ago

Like what? Ascadian Isles are supposed to be lush.

>played NES versions of FF1 and FF2

Attached: JPEG_20190309_012821.png (348x348, 178K)

>but these games need some convenience, at least a fucking map
Maybe. Zelda 1 and 2 don't need a map. Assuming you're 18 and older, you should have the mental faculties to map Zelda 1 in your mind. You've been playing video games for a long time, that muscle should be strong enough by now. Zelda 2's terrain needs a map even less so. The only game that might be tricky, is Metroid 1. That's because they reuse room layouts. But even then, we have modern conveniences. You could load the game on the left side of your screen, and download a map from the internet, on the right side of your screen. Or, if you have more than one monitor, then that makes it even easier.

>All that said, Zelda 2 is a fucking mess
One of the songs is the temple song. So that more than makes up for the lack of variety. But they made a song for each event. A field song, a battle song, a boss song, a temple son, a town song, a final temple song. OK, they didn't break out a unique, fully orchestrated track for every boss encounter. But no NES game had that much music variety.

The combat is awkward, but you can learn it. There are ways to avoid getting hit. This is largely a git gud matter. As each of the enemies attacks are measure well enough to block or dodge. There is some randomness to their behavior, but it's nothing raw reaction timing can't overcome.

>One can only hope they go somewhat BotW-ish with the new Metroid Prime
In my opinion the only way Metroid can become open 3D, is if they somehow create breakable terrain. The player should be allowed to break through rock and dirt and metal with their weapons. Not the half-assed way they did it before. I mean dynamic destruction.

>Oblivions artstyle
I don't know who that namefag is and that pic looks disgusting, but "Oblivion's artstyle" is uninspired, generic fantasy. It was supposed to be a jungle with the imperials having oriental style in general.

What about ports that add nothing graphics wise and just improve the performance. I'm thinking the SoTC PS3 port mostly.

>It was supposed to be a jungle with the imperials having oriental style in general
And it doesn't due to the magic of CHIM and engine limitations, get over it faggot
And generic fantasy is not a criticism, its more a personal taste thing, especially since every county is unique, to call it "uninspired" is just vapid and contrarian to the max

Take off your nostalgiaglasses xbox 360 kiddy oblivion is bland boring garbage where every green field is the same as the next, skyrim was generic fantasy land too but at least it tried to make every hold feel different

You are trying way too hard

>play ancient game
>still put everything on lowest settings

Attached: 1459585840307.jpg (697x943, 39K)

This is like that Star Trek episode where Kirk had feet on his face.