There's nothing immoral about emulating 10+ year old games

There's nothing immoral about emulating 10+ year old games.

Attached: 184075-nintendo-anti-piracy_original.jpg (350x230, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0Qkyt1wXNlI
youtube.com/watch?v=IBH4g_ua5es
archive.org/details/No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed
youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
google.co.id/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2017-09-25-eu-commission-no-evidence-that-piracy-affects-video-games-sales
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's nothing immortal about emulating.

>immortal
well fuck me. Meant immoral

Then keep doing it and shut up about it.

>immoral
found the insecure buyfag

Just do it you ain’t gotta brag about it

Imagine you're an author that wrote a book a decade ago and some dipshit fucking millennial feels entitled to your work without paying.
God I want to rip your communist teeth out you little fucking leach.

Creating duplicates has nothing to do with a communist ideas of wealth redistribution.

I am emulating PS2 games despite owning a PS2 simply because I don't want to mount it again.

>BUT MUH PRESERVATION
Buy the original.
>BUT MUH SCARCITY
Buy the original.
>BUT MUH AVAILABILITY
There is no excuse for theft.
If the original is not available for sale contact the company. I've got a shelf stocked with custom discs of arcade games originally only available on the builds themselves.
No. Excuse.

but what if i dont give a fuck?

Attached: 900742-phil.jpg (480x640, 17K)

>I AM ENTITLED TO YOUR EXACT WORK WITHOUT PAYING
I can tell you were born between 1989-2001.

>I can tell you were born between 1989-2001
That's 95% of this site boomer.

Wow user, you sure that's a generic enough guess? maybe you should stretch the interval by another decade just to be safe.

See

>citation needed
>being mad for being caught
stay mad baby

no one cares about your post, so there is no reason to "edit" your "reply" just thought I could help :)

I will now go buy this one game from 1992.
Hello sir, do you happen to have this game?
No? How am I supposed to play it, then?
Emulate it? But that's AGAINST THE LAW.
I guess I will NEVER EVER be able to play that game.
But hey, at least I can hope Nintendo sells it for $20 as an exclusive game for their shitty consoles.
GOD it feels great to be on the right side of history.

Just making sure it's understandable since "immortal" has a different meaning

Why yes, I am entitled to free entertainment. And I am, in fact, getting it every day. You'll have to cope, I'm afraid.

>"y-you can't emulate old games, you have to buy a shitty used old console just to play this 10 year old game!"

absolute state of this board, the jews already won

I'd say at least 20+ years considering 10 years ago was only 2009

There is literally nowhere that I can currently purchase Gamecube games that will give money to Nintendo. It's more ethical for me to emulate than to buy some $90 game on Ebay.

Every console sold in 2009 is now discontinued.

Contact the company you little fucking worm.

Shhh, go pay for some games piggy. My entertainment won't fund itself.

You need to go back.

In Nintendo's case it's more
>No longer sell old game
>WTF why are people pirating it.

Nintendo refuses to release GC games en mass so I have no guilt pirating them.

i refuse to believe there are people on this board who seethe over the fact that others get games for free

Attached: 3te4y2wpf2j21.jpg (768x768, 102K)

There's already retards doing that in this thread. See

I'll pirate the shit out of any media I want, moralfag

it's shitposting, they cant seriously believe what they post

I just want poorfags to have nothing

These days, it's getting harder for me to tell shitposting and genuineposting apart. Maybe I need a break or something.

There's nothing immoral about emulating games that the publisher doesn't give a shit anymore

speak for yourself, i wanted to know what the user meant with his post.

No, there absolutely isn't, you're right OP.
But for me there's just so much more tothe experience when you play it the same way its creators played it, as it was meant to be played. Popping in a cartridge and turning the power on just feels right.

This is every non-CD console+handheld game in the world up to GBA.
It only takes 36 gigs to be prepared for the hypothetical collapse of society.

Attached: Untitled.png (231x132, 17K)

>Buy the original.
Originals stop working and buying the original doesn't make a copy of it, so neither preservation or scarcity are solved.
>There is no excuse for theft.
I don't need an excuse.

Attached: total games.png (496x92, 5K)

Shut up you american niggers and your communist screaming.

Why is it stealing?You can't even buy most of these games,they are dead and the companies make no money out of very old games.
Retards.MUH COMMUNISM REEEEEE,I swear americans are the dumbest brainlets ever.

This is retarded, and not how video games work. Let's say that you're an author, and 10 years ago you wrote a book that for whatever reason, could only be bought on Blackberry phones. Meaning only people who owned Blackberry phones at the time could buy and read it. Now, 10 years later, the Blackberry storefront is shut down. No one can buy or read your book anymore, except the people who bought it when it was new. And you, for whatever reason, refuse to re-release the book on a more current storefront. If people want to read it, what do they do? They have to find a free copy online, or they'll never get to read it. Unless you expect them to go out and buy an old phone that just so happens to have the book on it.
If it's retarded for people to jump through hoops just to read your book, then it's retarded for me to jump through hoops just to play the Scott Pilgrim game.

Contact.
The.
Company.
You.
Fucking.
Parasite.
Communist.
Filth.
My entire den is filled with video games purchased directly through these corporations because they're willing to work with you if you're willing to pay.
There is no fucking excuse for theft.

Does it also have Japanese releases included? Last I checked the emusites, JP sections were pretty limited, and there's lots of games that never got western releases.

>What's a library?
Books make most of their profit on the first year, in the initial shipment. Sales incentivize asking for a new printing, which most books don't even get, and give the seller confidence that this brand/creator/company is a trustworthy investment. The sharing of old media increases demand for a new printing, which is profitable for the creators and/or distributors.

Same with movies, comic books and video games. Learn about economics before you bitch.

Contact the fucking company you piece of shit fucking communist

>contact the company
To tell them what? "Please release my favorite 20 years old game again"?

>if you're willing to pay
I'm not.

Attached: 1548278424647.jpg (1451x816, 180K)

Poe's law. Just take a break, nobody on 4channel actually gives a fuck about morality, they just shitpost because they get their kicks on seeing people mad. Why don't we post what we're emulating? I'm going through Mario & Luigi Partners in Time right now, it's not as good as Superstar Saga, but it's still fun.

Attached: Mario and Luigi Partners in Time.jpg (1600x800, 356K)

>LIBRARIES GET THEIR CONTACT FOR FREE AND ARE OPEN FOR FREE
You are a stupid fucking little rat who knows nothing.

Why should I? So I can pay them for an inferior product? Lol

Attached: SNES.png (1920x1080, 1.8M)

Old DW games are fucking good, and I don't like musou normally.

Attached: 8312.dynasty-warriors-5-empires-per-ps2_jpg_300x300_q85.jpg (213x300, 25K)

Yep, and even some chinese exclusives here and there.
I like to pick games at random from this mess sometimes, it's how I discovered Star Tropics before even hearing about it on Yea Forums.

Attached: 01.png (387x806, 17K)

If no profit is lost then that makes sense.

There's many companies that are simply defunct, and even with the ones that are still in business, what the fuck are you supposed to tell them?
>Please Treasure, could you re-release Michief Makers, or sell me a working rom of the game?
No company is gonna fucking listen to that.

Oh yeah, I'll just tell them, "Hey, can you put this game back up on your defunct storefront just for me, pretty please?" That's not how these things work. The company is actively not letting the game be obtained any more due to licensing. There is no way around piracy, in many many cases. It's not about money. You are a retard.

If the publisher stops printing that book, yes that makes sense.

youtu.be/0Qkyt1wXNlI
Contacting them and letting them know you'd like to see that game get another chance is fine. Even making a special deal with them is fine.

But there's nothing wrong with pirating old games. If anything it lets you discuss them and help get the word out, bolstering the potential for more releases.

>Buy the original
Can you borrow me 700 bucks for a forgotten gem nobody cares but me, forgotten in the history for being on a not emulable console and drms?

Attached: s-l300.jpg (177x300, 18K)

>there's nothing wrong with theft haha :)
I want to rip the teeth out of every fucking millennial faggot here you all are so fucking entitled

I'm not willing to pay more than one dollar for a 10+ years old game.

games older than 10 years should be public domain, and optimally have their source codes uploaded for people to tinker with. Just look at Freespace 2 or any id shooter community, they're still thriving despite being ancient, and it's all thanks to the dedicated community behind the effort.
It's obvious the consumers care more than the people who made them.

Attached: images (6).jpg (225x225, 9K)

Nice. Though PS1, Saturn and Dreamcast are the real treasure troves of region specific games. It's just too bad that their liblaries take way more space, with PS1 alone it'd be almost 4TB and I imagine even that's not all of it.

Of course not, because they're physical locations. They sure get a lot of stuff through community donations, however.

Same principle in piracy of old media in general. Someone paid for it, now you can consume it and decide if you care about it.

>I want to commit aggravated assault in response to petty copyright infringement. You are unstable and should be removed from society.

Imagine you’re a new fan to an author’s works and want to get into their older works, but it turns out said author is a dipshit hardass that won’t let people enjoy the works they have forgotten about for over a decade and don’t bother releasing again, forcing people to waste 100$-1000$ or more for used copies.

Another thing I like to do sometimes is marathon a bunch of Game Center CX episodes and emulate whatever looks cool. It's how I got into games like Quinty and Actraiser.

Attached: Qunity.jpg (558x800, 161K)

They lost the source code
And Sega surely will remake panzer dragoon saga for one weird kid instead of making mad money on pachinko and gambling addiction

Actually, does anybody know how do I fix SW2/SW2E issues on PCSX2?
>game can randomly crash when using a true or co-op musou attack
>cutscenes have graphical glitches that makes them sometimes impossible to watch
>in-battle resolution(excluding HUD such as HP bar and the map) randomly scales down at times
I really want to play this game.

>World renowned author: "piracy" actually boosts sales and is better than leaving old books unread.
>Poster on Yea Forums: STOP STEALING FROM HIM YOU BASTARD

Try and stop me. :)

Attached: Der Langrisser.png (1920x1080, 3.23M)

he's a deluded hardware status boomer. Don't even bother.
I just hope his kind dies along with all the stupid plastic they buried themselves with.

If emulation lets me play Donkey Kong Country returns in 1080p 60fps without having to use dumbass waggle controls I'm going to emulate.

Attached: 1548814286676.jpg (762x677, 67K)

Gen X, sorry.

What a crock of shit.

I never said that there is. I don't think anybody cares if you emulate or pirate games that are a decade old. By then the hardware is likely no longer supported if it's being manufactured at all, and the publisher has wrung everything it can out of a title barring a re-release on the new hardware or a remake/remaster.

Written works do not play by the same rules as software. Words on a page are words on a page. Software basically expires; it has a shelf life. The hardware it was made for becomes laughably obsolete very quickly. At the point something can be casually emulated on your average laptop, it's free game. Show me where I can even buy a new, sealed copy of Ocarina of Time on a retail shelf. How about Panzer Dragoon Saga? Without backwards compatibility on consoles, the previous generations' titles get left behind except via emulation and used hardware/software, the latter of which can become difficult to find, and puts no money in the pockets of the creators or publishers anyway.

For that matter, do used book stores trigger you?

I do believe in supporting official digital re-releases of older games if the owner of the IP makes them available. Especially if they up the resolution for modern displays and price them reasonably low. However that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with emulating an old piece of software that the owner hasn't made available for official purchase. Even if they have made them available, you have no obligation to re-buy something you bought for the original hardware.

>buy the original
>game is either priced horrendously by 3rd party sellers (creator gets no money)
>game isn't being produced anymore (creator gets no money)
so no matter what, the original creator gets zero dollars, so why is pirating it or emulating it at that point such a bad thing? If the creator won't fucking make his work available, he shouldn't be throwing a bitch fit when people pirate it.

Is that compressed?

If it did, then why not make all books free?

>compressing anything
Kek don't be a pussy

Attached: not including wii u.png (648x88, 4K)

You can get most books free from the liblary.

What's pussy about it?

He should, because I was born in 81 and have been pirating since 85 or so. Reminder that pirates always win and buyfags subsidize our games. Every dollar he spends is one that I don't yet I still get access to the same products. Thank you buyfag, without your continued patronage devs wouldn't make new games and I would be forced to play the thousands of titles you paid for.

Attached: pepe euro toast.gif (800x800, 53K)

be more specific

Not him but no
Just plain old 7z
I can pass some torrents for roms if you guys want

Attached: FB_IMG_1464359904503.jpg (800x579, 132K)

A real chad stores all of their games uncompressed in the same folder.

Vsauce here! There's only something moral about emulating if you intend to pay for it and at some point in the near future EXPECT to have the means to do so. Otherwise you have other issues to work out in life. And that my friends makes YOU criminals. Like and click that Subscribe Button and as always, thank you for watching.

Attached: vsauce.jpg (1280x720, 43K)

It can be as chad as it wants to be, doesn't explain how compression is bad/pussy.
"Not chad" is not an answer.

It's free and easy, and I face little to no repercussions for it. In capitalism, a product is worth what someone would pay for it. I would pay nothing, and so I did. And every time I pirate a rare, expensive game, I think of the rage of that cunt selling a mashed-up copy for like three hundred dollars and I get goosebumps.

>40 years old soon
>Still posting like a fucking preteen
I do agree that piracy of older games is inevitable, but you should stop being a fucking dumbass.

imagine a library.

What happened with this imageboard?
youtube.com/watch?v=IBH4g_ua5es

The Virgin user
>sorts his roms carefully by platform
>keeps them compressed to save on disk space
>doesn't mind the extra time spent extracting them

The Chad Pirate
>throws all his roms in the same folder
>has never heard of a .zip
>makes arbitrary copies of roms just to waste more disk space

A lot of old games don't compress that well, if at all.

>I can pass some torrents for roms + viruses if you guys want

no way kiddo, you cant infect me, ive got norton

All books are free through piracy. The physical books are for people who like them and want a copy. Never buy digital.

Roms are going to become public domain in the future, like in a hundred years. A big issue is that a lot of these old companies are gone and will never reproduce these games.

>HAHAHA LIBRARIES
>LIBRARIES JUST APPEAR FROM THE SKY AND DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR BOOKS AND ENDORSE THEFT HAHAHA

>extracting
Who said anything about extracting?

Compression is fine, since is lossless
Technically it slows the game because you have to unzip than load the thing, but man you're losing virtually nothing if you emulate anything from ps2 below

>source code
*gives you the disassembly and nothing else*
technically source code

Copyright laws should only exist for up to 10 years for individual media, 15 years for media franchises, and 20 years for hardware construction.
Fair use should also be extended fanworks entirely built from the ground-up
Any less and you’re a filthy non-white poorfag that can’t resist taking things
Any more and you’re a corparate cocksucker owned by the Mouse and the Plumber who would 100% be alright if oxygen wasn’t open source

You do realize that even the emulators that load archives need to load the decompressed file into memory... right?

Galaxy Brain
>Download full romset
>uncompress
>Sort with excruciating detail, delete all games unworthy of time
>manually recompress each individual game

Who said anything about archives?

this honestly, if I ever make a game I'd release its source code within 5 to 10 years

it's better than nothing. Games only become better once the fanbase gets ahold of the assets

>arguing in favor of compression when you don't know what it is
Apologize to me for wasting my time, please.

You sure about that?

based user deleting all japanese games

But there LITERALLY is
If you emulate you are preserving them forever

Of course not,Nintendo does it all the time.

>tfw I've actually done this for every platform I have decked out
help

Yes. My apology, please.

Pics or gtfo

Apologize to yourself, I guess.

The chad extracted and compressed (and unmodified!) file.
No extraction, no archives, no performance overhead.

Attached: thinking.png (262x202, 7K)

Pics of what, a folder full of roms?

pls upload. I always wanted a full library for games I would eventually share with my kids, but never got around to it.
Now that emuparadise is gone I'm extra unmotivated

Jesus christ actual subhuman

>better than nothing
the disassembly can be obtained with only a copy of the executable/rom, I fail to see how the devs including it is any different than just running the game through a disassembler. Without any symbol files you're in for a hell of a time trying to reverse engineer it

>Type of file: iso Archive
>no archives
Hmm...

Agreed

Based.
Cringe.

why are devs scummy like that?

>pls upload
No

archive.org/details/No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed

Attached: hm.png (233x198, 7K)

Ye showing the total amount of files between all systems and zip stats

why are you hiding the location, trying to hide your first name Jeremy?

you do realize I have to find a working system, a working copy of the game, and hopefully not see it massively overpriced on ebay?

I'm not saying they would do this for sure but I bet there would be some who follow the logic of the disassembly alone being enough to count as "source code". No idea why, just scumbags

bookmarked for later. Thanks bro

It's actually on a secondary drive, I'm hiding my sorting, but thanks for ignoring the compression :^)

Also the CRCs match between this and the original uncompressed file. Worth noting since this was a horrible trend among DS games it's not trimmed or touched in anyway.
The CRC32 is EBB387E7

So still I'm real time in-place compressing ROMs with no extracting of archives. Also my ISO earlier is a PS2 game, don't know what other container it would be.

Decompress it

You're fuckin retarded m8

Attached: .png (593x446, 27K)

There you go, now you can delete the original and rename the decompressed version. Enjoy your reduced overhead, bro

Then wouldn't you be safe?

it's not a matter of morality or ethics, it's just simple business and law (with the law usually supporting the business)
and it's not by discussing on a manchu fishing board that things will change

They're both the same file though, but one's a copy.
There's no overhead for either.

There's nothing wrong with buying a ten year old game either.

In-place file compression still adds overhead, user. Compressed files need to be decompressed before they're loaded into memory to be used.

there is if they remove half the soundtrack due to licensing issues.
Sorry not sorry.

How much overhead are we talking here? Surely not to the degree of extraction?

>nobody on Yea Forums bitches about pirating comic scans
>nobody on Yea Forums bitches about pirating or illegally streaming movies and tv shows
>nobody on Yea Forums bitches about pirating anime or manga scans (and they even have a rotating buyfag general)
>nobody on Yea Forums bitches about pirating music
>nobody on /g/ bitches about pirating operating systems or software
>nobody on the porn boards bitch about pirating porn
>Yea Forums is LITERALLY the only board where you'll find people freak the fuck out about piracy
I'm convinced this place has the highest concentration of shills and corporate bootlickers out of every board on this site.

Attached: 1546605127128.png (748x562, 636K)

>trying this hard to fit in

Don't they have to do that legally though, I understand it's gay as fuck otherwise

Attached: rockstar gif.gif (500x386, 999K)

>WAH WHY ISN’T Yea Forums AS NON-WHITE AS THE OTHER BOARDS

Sentiment against filesharing is a symptom of low IQ. Sorry you had to learn this way.

It's gay as fuck no matter their reason and not worth paying money for

>comparing novels to video games
>when library's exist and let you rent books for FREE
really made me think

>emulated a ROM of Mario Land 2 back in 1893
>tfw still kicking and growing stronger with every game I emulate
Thanks based emulation.

I kinda miss my family and loved ones though.

Technically, libraries aren’t free if you pay taxes.
Libraries also have games too depending on where you live.
So if you don’t pay taxes and go to the library for your media needs, you can get books, movies, tv shows, and games while some millions of people are paying for you to do so.

>1893
Holy shit user. You were emulating games before the 20th century.

>1893
the funny part is Nintendo would actually still charge 9.99 for it if it was in fact that old

There's nothing immoral about emulation in general, dipshit. Stop bargaining with the people you disagree with, it makes you look weak and erodes your own point.

actual authors LOVE piracy
youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

Why is this board the most cucked when it comes to piracy?

Attached: 1491887545314.png (743x832, 55K)

If everyone ITT suddenly became a game developer, they would all change their view on piracy overnight.

Attached: demo2.png (184x184, 46K)

I'd estimate maybe half a second? It's not that big and computers are pretty fast nowadays.

well? wheres the link you faggot

where the fuck do i pirate GOG games now that GoodOldDownloads is dead?

google.co.id/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2017-09-25-eu-commission-no-evidence-that-piracy-affects-video-games-sales

Then no skin off my bones.

I got your joke.

I don’t emulate. I just play free games.

>tfw the guy who sang this is dead
im old

They don’t care if their medium dies.

How do I buy the Scott Pilgrim game right now?

SEETHING

I will sell you my console with it installed.

I'll buy it and format it so the price of the rest go up!